Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden moves to an 84% chance of victory on the exchanges as the scale of his likely victory becomes

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643

Ohio as a bellwether looks to have gone

Bellwethers change.
    Dartford used to be ours.
    And Greater London used to be the bellwether region.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627

As a former Corbyn supporter, I think 2019 here and 2020 in the USA proves to me beyond doubt that what the public want is competence and good governance and something that won't scare them. Go on Keir, I have faith

Good luck Keir. Will be 2nd 2024
    Technically, we can come second in 2024 and still become the government, quite possible in that case we have a government which over 50% voted for and then we can have a proper PR system implemented.

Honestly for me in 2024, that is the priority, ending FPTP.
    Only seems likely if Labour don't win out right, since like Trudeau I'm sure they will find other things to do once they actually win.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Indeed i

Foxy said:

Kamala Harris was a shit choice for VP. I reckon she cost the Democrats a lot of ground.

Possibly so. A bit too Black, Indian, Female, and Californian for the swing voters.

She may well be a very good VP though. She seems quite feisty and intelligent.

Campaigning skill correlates very poorly, perhaps even inversely, with skill at governing.
    I think the bigotry stuff is an excuse. Obama had no problems there.

Democrats really need to STOP seeing everything through the prism of race, gender and sexuality.

It really pisses a lot of people off and is BS.
    If you think racial, sexuality and gender are no longer issues arousing prejudice in America, then perhaps you need to get out of your bubble and meet more ordinary folk.
    I'm not the one in a bubble mate.

I know way more about this stuff than you do.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,466
    Chris said:

I see Nate Silver is now classing Arizona and Nevada as "Likely Biden", Pennsylvania as "Lean Biden", Georgia as "Tossup" (or "Lean Biden" if forced to choose) and North Carolina as "Likely Trump".

That's an exact match of the Democratic campaign chief – although she didn't explicitly mention NV and AZ when briefing CNN
  • Options
    kle4 said:

As a former Corbyn supporter, I think 2019 here and 2020 in the USA proves to me beyond doubt that what the public want is competence and good governance and something that won't scare them. Go on Keir, I have faith

Technically, we can come second in 2024 and still become the government, quite possible in that case we have a government which over 50% voted for and then we can have a proper PR system implemented.

Only seems likely if Labour don't win out right, since like Trudeau I'm sure they will find other things to do once they actually win.
    Frankly I agree based on history so for that recent in 2024 I am hoping for a Hung Parliament as long term that will deliver the change we need. Labour has to be forced into it, then so be it.
  • Options

Genuinely think it's a distinct possibility Biden gets over 300

I would love it if it was 306 as that was my prediction (albeit with a slightly different roster of states).
  • Options
    When you're famous, you can just grab anything.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,763
    A lot of commentators are saying Trump would have won without Covid-19. I don't agree, I don't think it made much difference to how people voted.
  • Options
    306 with a large victory in the popular vote would IMHO be a pretty decisive rejection of Trump.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,209

Foxy said:

Indeed i

Foxy said:

Kamala Harris was a shit choice for VP. I reckon she cost the Democrats a lot of ground.

Possibly so. A bit too Black, Indian, Female, and Californian for the swing voters.

Campaigning skill correlates very poorly, perhaps even inversely, with skill at governing.

Democrats really need to STOP seeing everything through the prism of race, gender and sexuality.

If you think racial, sexuality and gender are no longer issues arousing prejudice in America, then perhaps you need to get out of your bubble and meet more ordinary folk.

You’re the one pushing identity politics, AGAIN. Over 50% of Americans have just voted for the people talking about race, sexuality, and gender. A majority. So who’s in the bubble?

Both side need to seek common ground. This is not simply about “city folk” having to pander to those in the towns.
  • Options

Foxy said:

A majority of Americans have voted for them.
    Well, exactly. So there are clearly Americans who must not be put off.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,213
    Andy_JS said:

A lot of commentators are saying Trump would have won without Covid-19. I don't agree, I don't think it made much difference to how people voted.

Both statements can be true. It didn't make much difference, but the difference it did make may have been decisive.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191

Oh god we're not going to spend the next four years debating the virtues of FPTP Vs AV Vs PR again are we? :D
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,045

Foxy said:

Indeed i

Foxy said:

Well, doesn't seem like it from what you post here.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Indeed i

Foxy said:

Ooh a good old fashioned PB norm-off! These are always so entertaining.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm-_A9LVYi8

I thought May was terrible but this is just rude.

Theresa seems an infinitely better politician after losing the premiership than she did throughout her entire career before and during it. The guarded, bot-like mien that was her hallmark for decades has vanished.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,149

Alistair said:

Luzerne County

Voted 58%/38% for Trump in 2016

VBM
    70% Biden
    30% Trump

Westmoreland 64/32 for Trump
    VBM
    68% Biden
    31% Trump

Postal vote are flowing to Biden for every corner of the state.

Wow. Just wow.

Biden just mentioned PA in his speech.

They've won it I think.
    I bored everyone on Zoom with my Pennsylvania model, which doesn't really work because it can't differentiate by mode of voting - but, it peaked at an implausible Trump win by 400k when the on the day vote results came in, and has been falling by around 40k for every 4% of the vote that comes in since then. If that holds for the remainder, Trump wins the state by 3000 votes. I don't think that's right, I think Biden has it. But it is going to the wire.
    Fox has Reps on who think they have PA
  • Options
    I'm strongly of the view that to win in 2024 we will not be engaging in a culture war but I do agree with the fundamental statement that in many cases - not all - so-called culture wars are invented out of thin air to rile people up and find something to argue about.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,466
    Georgia 5/6 each with paddys now.
  • Options

Not checking everything with SNP which will be your reality
  • Options

Theresa seems an infinitely better politician after losing the premiership than she did throughout her entire career before and during it. The guarded, bot-like mien that was her hallmark for decades has vanished.
    The Ed Milliband effect
  • Options

Foxy said:

But barely scraped through where it mattered and went backwards in other areas. And don't forget Hillary won the national vote too.

Humility is needed.
    The Electoral Kindergarten is just a mechanism for national vote losers to steal the White House! Sad!
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662

306 with a large victory in the popular vote would IMHO be a pretty decisive rejection of Trump.

To get to 306 Biden needs Georgia, I suspect hes going to fall agonisingly short, which would be a shame. But it's still possible of course. NC is too much of a stretch
  • Options

SNP support PR. Or if they don't want to support Labour they're most welcome to explain why they put the Tories back into Government.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    "Diverse coalition of white people in militias and white people NOT in militias"

Pretty good, although apparently he did diversify his vote a bit.

Also apparently that movie is 155 minutes long, which is news to me.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Indeed i

Foxy said:

LOL
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Trump takes WI/MI/PA by fractions of a percent : Truly a man of the people with a unique bond with blue collar America.
    Biden take WI/MI/PA by fractions of a percent: out of touch costal elite flukes victory

Good story.

Isn't this just classic PB right wing hypocrisy? Just let it happen
  • Options

I would love it if it was 306 as that was my prediction (albeit with a slightly different roster of states).
    If Biden wins all the remaining states (not impossible, but unlikely) then I called 49/50 States correctly in my forecast on Monday, missing only Florida, and I did pause over that one.

Rather regretting my pre dawn reverse ferret on Biden EV now.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,209
    This applies to the right as well as the left.
    https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1324112939310264322?s=21
  • Options

Some people are just not up to the top job. It's a tough job. But it's good that she seems to have learned something from her time at the top (probably about trusting Boris).
  • Options
    The 2024 election could be between the two extremes but represented by younger candidates. An AOC vs a to-be-determined carrier of the Trump flame.
  • Options
    I wonder if in years gone by when people were fighting for gay rights, or the rights of women, whether people sat around and said we should just shut up and stop seeing politics through the prism of these pointless culture wars
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

It is often claimed polling error see-saws from one election to the next, as pollsters over-compensate for the errors of the previous election.

That hasn't happened here. The polls were wrong last time, and in the same direction and by roughly the same magnitude.

I also suspect most polls are conducted by firms that are less pro-Trump than the average voter.

Of course, all polling firms are really trying to get it right — their businesses will suffer if they have a consistent bias.

But, if you think Trump “should” do substantially worse than last election, and your polls are coming out that way, you will be less likely to question them than if you expected Trump to be doing well.

It all comes back to Dick Feynman, "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself –- and you are the easiest person to fool."
  • Options

The 2024 election could be between the two extremes but represented by younger candidates. An AOC vs a to-be-determined carrier of the Trump flame.

AOC is incredibly likeable it must be said, not sure her politics will appeal though
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,390

Hopefully, Pelosi will go. She and her acid tongue and San Francisco liberalism has been a huge turnoff for the Dems in the House.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/524503-centrist-democrats-talk-leadership-changes-after-negative-election-results?amp#click=https://t.co/x1QzSgT7Jb

Another woman who in your private reality is an election loser.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,111

Want pr put it to a referendum and watch it die in a fire
  • Options

Chris said:

I see Nate Silver is now classing Arizona and Nevada as "Likely Biden", Pennsylvania as "Lean Biden", Georgia as "Tossup" (or "Lean Biden" if forced to choose) and North Carolina as "Likely Trump".

That's an exact match of the Democratic campaign chief – although she didn't explicitly mention NV and AZ when briefing CNN
    Those sound about right, once that first 200,000 drop in Maricopa come in around 9pm local time, unless Trump does really well with them I'd be surprised if the other networks dont follow ABCs early lead and call it for Biden
  • Options

SNP support PR. Or if they don't want to support Labour they're most welcome to explain why they put the Tories back into Government.
    SNP only support themselves! That's why they wiped your party out in Scotland 2015 😀
  • Options
    If parties in 2024 stand on PR in their manifestos and they are able to form a government then no referendum is needed to deliver it. Just implement it.
  • Options
    I'd almost forgot about the looming National Lockdown with all this fun.

Then the BBC news starts on about it. :anguished:
  • Options

SNP only support themselves! That's why they wiped your party out in Scotland 2015 😀
    SNP would have supported Labour in 2015 but I agree with you that Labour is dead in Scotland. Such is the reality, hence why we will have to get back in Wales (going well) and England (also going well).
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I know his lawyers will be making more technical arguments around eligble votes and so on, and obviously those questions will get answers from other lawyers, but his whole message really does seem to be the (not unpredicted) 'The TV showed me leading before, not it is not, that is wrong'.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,196
    edited November 2020
    Alistair said:

Trump takes WI/MI/PA by fractions of a percent : Truly a man of the people with a unique bond with blue collar America.
    Biden take WI/MI/PA by fractions of a percent: out of touch costal elite flukes victory

Good story.

Also, the Rep President is 'claiming' states he has either already lost or which have not been fully counted and he's not predicted to win...

...and yet it's the Dems that need to show more humility?

I'm looking at you @Casino_Royale.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Mal557 said:

I think someone on here, Alistair? was projecting about a 150K win for Biden in PA. Seems Bidens team are now thinking the same,,,,great minds :)
    https://twitter.com/BresPolitico/status/1324098012172439552

I said 60K earlier this morning. Looks like Alistair was on the nail. We will see.
    I feel a lot of people though I was taking the piss when I said Biden by 180k a few hours ago.
    I think it was more that people didn't dare believe it.
    Dems not as short to win Pa as they were an hour ago. 365 1/3 from 1/5.
    Unless something very odd is about to happen with the remaining vote to come in that should win. I'm on anyway.
    Getting on at 3.85 has saved my night.
  • Options

One of Grandpa Joes best features is his genuine desire for consensus. Perhaps because his formative years predate the current culture war. They were of course forged in an equally divisive time of desegregation and Vietnam War protests.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    The remaining vote needs to come in at Biden +29.5 to draw level in PA.
    There's way more mail compared to in person, the mail has so far averaged Biden + 57.5
  • Options
    Joe Biden, the Gordon Brown of American politics, hmm
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    Foxy said:

Indeed i

Foxy said:

Yep. And it's really frustrating to read Casino_Royale post that. I think he sometimes makes good points about prejudices on my side of politics (e.g. the Magna "Carter" stuff). But I'm going to be wary of agreeing with anything said by someone who claims that one president with African heritage demonstrates that bigotry is just an excuse.
  • Options
    For goodness sake people in the USA spent years arguing Obama wasn't an American citizen
  • Options

His office apologised - he had an appointment (and was as usual clueless)
  • Options

If parties in 2024 stand on PR in their manifestos and they are able to form a government then no referendum is needed to deliver it. Just implement it.

ALL constitutional changes should go through a referendum. It is the peoples political system it doesnt belong to politicians. I would not have supported leaving the eu because a party with it in their manifesto won just because they had a majority either.

People vote for a party for a lot of reasons and usually dont agree with every policy, To make sweeping changes to our electoral system you absolutely need to have a specific mandate
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,166

Foxy said:

Well, exactly. So there are clearly Americans who must not be put off.
    It may be a majority but is it good enough? Against such an abominable president? They ought to feel they should have won much more convincingly.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

One of Grandpa Joes best features is his genuine desire for consensus. Perhaps because his formative years predate the current culture war. They were of course forged in an equally divisive time of desegregation and Vietnam War protests.
    He's also a man who has know significant personal loss in his life. I think that makes him more empathetic and a better man.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Foxy said:

That desire for consensus was the root of his greatest regret - not letting more witness speak against Clarence Thomas in the confirmation hearings.
  • Options

SNP would have supported Labour in 2015 but I agree with you that Labour is dead in Scotland. Such is the reality, hence why we will have to get back in Wales (going well) and England (also going well).
    Wales? Drakeford? Going well? Good luck with that.

But I admire your enthusiasm. When I was young I was LAB too.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

ALL constitutional changes should go through a referendum. It is the peoples political system it doesnt belong to politicians. I would not have supported leaving the eu because a party with it in their manifesto won just because they had a majority either.

People vote for a party for a lot of reasons and usually dont agree with every policy, To make sweeping changes to our electoral system you absolutely need to have a specific mandate
    So presumably you supported a referendum on Johnson's deal after he won the election?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    What will this victory mean for the next season of the Netflix show Space Force, where the, unseen, president was clearly meant to be a Trumpesque figure? That's the important question.

(show was only ok, it seemed a bit confused to me about whether it was meant to be zaney or not)
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2020

Erh yes, Labour is projected to win a landslide in Wales based on current polling.

No need to condescend me either thank you, I haven't condescended you.
  • Options

I wonder if in years gone by when people were fighting for gay rights, or the rights of women, whether people sat around and said we should just shut up and stop seeing politics through the prism of these pointless culture wars

Absolutely they did.
    There is some strange idea culture wars are modern.
    We had a Civil War over one.
    And it was pretty much the dividing line between Whig/Tory thereafter.
  • Options

AOC is hardly an extremist. She would be a moderate Labourite were she in the UK.
  • Options

AOC is incredibly likeable it must be said, not sure her politics will appeal though
    AOC is a star, she is very eloquent and with good political antennae. One to watch certainly.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,763
    edited November 2020

Democrats made the right decision at the primaries. Bernie Sanders would have got more support at rallies and lost the election.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,411
    edited November 2020
    Toms said:

I've a soft spot for Pennsylvania. My grandad and his wife designed their farmhouse and barn with the help of an itinerant carpenter in the late 1800s. They used hickory sourced from their woods and milled down the valley. Both still stand and appear in good shape. If you look in either of two directions you can see mountain ridges. Their rising spring never dries up.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.9506175,-78.5038855,3a,75y,137.38h,96.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-PNHGiBi8AE__aY4yNr1yQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664?hl=en

I remember staying there for the World Boardgames Convention a few years ago. The local paper stacked for guests at reception was called Intercourse News. I laughed involuntarily, and the receptionist looked baffled - weird Brit laughs at a local paper? I muttered an apology and actually felt bad - some Americans are endearingly innocent, and why not?
  • Options

Hopefully, Pelosi will go. She and her acid tongue and San Francisco liberalism has been a huge turnoff for the Dems in the House.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/524503-centrist-democrats-talk-leadership-changes-after-negative-election-results?amp#click=https://t.co/x1QzSgT7Jb

How the fiddle an octogenarian multi-millionaire is going to reach out to Dem voters defeats me.

On the bright side, Joe is the youngest of the Joe-Nancy-Mitch triumverate
  • Options
    It's VERY STRANGE all these Bidenistas coming on here now when at 0300 on here they were crying.

Well done to Biden he's not my sort of thing but he's ok 👍😊
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,149
    MikeL said:

I'm no fan of Fox News but it should be noted they haven't gone out of their way to help Trump - calling AZ well before other networks and calling WI and MI in line with other networks.

They could have created more mood music of uncertainty in these states - they have chosen not to.

I have been pleasantly surprised by their coverage, if not by the adverts. Although right now they are starting to slip back toward wall to wall crazies shouting at the moon.
  • Options

It's VERY STRANGE all these Bidenistas coming on here now when at 0300 on here they were crying.

Well I never made a prediction but I do think those who said it would be a landslide should hold their hands up.
  • Options

Nor that she'll be only 35.
  • Options
    Nevada

GOP

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    CNN: "Trump bleeding GOP support" over his antics and bizarre behaviour.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

In our system defining what would be a constitutional issue would not always be so straightforward I suspect. I don't see what 'the people's political system' has to do with implementing electoral system changes after an election win.

I'd be in favour of minimum turnout, perhaps a threshold above 50% for the big stuff, as many countries do, but having not had those for Sindy or Brexit I think trying it for future ones would be hard to defend.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:
    48.1% of the national vote is way above what the polls were saying. 48.5% might have been enough. But it's not that, so he will have to vacate the White House.
    It's going down way below that. The West coast is just getting warmed up.
    Oh god, please say there is more 2016 style Clinton to win popular vote @1.05 36 hours after the election going on.
  • Options
    GOP turning in on itself now – briefing the press that Trump's behaviour is unacceptable: it's "an ambulance-chasing routine".
  • Options

You make a fair point. I was feeling very down when I went to bed just after 3:00am. I honestly expected to wake up to wall to wall "Trump Wins Again" coverage.

Happily not! :lol:
  • Options

AOC is hardly an extremist. She would be a moderate Labourite were she in the UK.
    Political extremism may be country dependent. I don't say that she is, but that she would be a moderate Labourite here doesn't mean she couldn't be on the political extreme in the US.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited November 2020

Erh yes, Labour is projected to win a landslide in Wales based on current polling.

The very first thing you need to realise about Wales is that it will have 10 less constituencies next time.

Labour now have 28/40.

Next time they won't get 28/30.

Labour may proportionately increase their vote in Wales next GE, but it is baked in that the absolute number of Labour seats in Wales will go down.
  • Options

I would never condescend you. You are one of my favourite posters.
  • Options
    Johnson will be left deeply exposed now, RIP USA trade deal, it's Brexit capitulation or economic disaster with No Deal on the way. What will he choose?

His friend in the world gone, populism rejected fairly decisively so far this year, he's a dying breed.
  • Options

True, she's probably the best person to use in the example. What I mean is a candidate with a clear ideology, as opposed to just a centrist who isn't Trump, vs an ideologically-driven Trumpite, as opposed to Trump himself.
  • Options

Joe Biden, the Gordon Brown of American politics, hmm

No it is Trump who is reluctant to leave the building after a defeat.
  • Options

I would never condescend you. You are one of my favourite posters.
    I took the age comment to be fairly condescending but no worries.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Foxy said:

If Biden wins all the remaining states (not impossible, but unlikely) then I called 49/50 States correctly in my forecast on Monday, missing only Florida, and I did pause over that one.

Rather regretting my pre dawn reverse ferret on Biden EV now.
    I had a rush of terrifying visceral fear when I came in on Biden's ECV 262 at 2.30am. Everything at that moment seemed to be sliding away and it felt like, 'oh no, not again.' I bet with my head not my heart. When I hit 'buy' it was a massive adrenaline rush.

Ironically it was Florida which convinced me, a State that I got totally wrong at state level. But the counties were showing significant swings to Biden from Clinton: 5% or more. The suburbs were voting for Biden. If that was replicated then eventually it had to pull him through in other battleground states. So I bought in the 260's.

I got lucky. It has offset some other errors: over excitement on some Senate races and Texas and Florida at State level, although I never thought Biden would win Texas. My tips on Bollier and Ossoff proved way out, although Perdue might not win that race outright by the time final tallies are in.

And on that subject, Republican Senators have outperformed Donald Trump.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    What news on what's been happening in state legislature races?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    edited November 2020
    Not sure I buy this, but its a well informed source.

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1324114540238409728?s=20
  • Options
    Puerto Rico voted for statehood.
  • Options
    New covid infections update:

France
    04/11 40,558
    28/10 36,437
    21/10 26,676
    14/10 22,591
    07/10 18,746

Germany
    04/11 20,218
    28/10 16,202
    21/10 10,457
    14/10 6,063
    07/10 3,994

Italy
    04/11 30,550
    28/10 24,989
    21/10 15,198
    14/10 7,331
    07/10 3,678

Poland
    04/11 24,962
    28/10 18,820
    21/10 10,040
    14/10 6,526
    07/10 3,003

Spain
    04/11 25,177
    28/10 19,765
    21/10 18,138
    14/10 15,409
    07/10 11,985

UK
    04/11 25,177
    28/10 24,701
    21/10 26,684
    14/10 19,722
    07/10 14,162

I wonder if the UK's tier system was beginning to work.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,285
    Andy_JS said:

Democrats made the right decision at the primaries. Bernie Sanders would have got more support at rallies and lost the election.
    What happened in Miami Dade would have happened... everywhere with Sanders.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

So presumably you supported a referendum on Johnson's deal after he won the election?
    The constitutional change was leaving the eu, johnsons deal or lack of is merely a trade treaty. For the record I think he has done an appalling job. However the difference is that trade deal can be amended by a new government in 2024 if they wish. Leaving the eu changing our voting system cant. The second can't is because picture it labour gets in next one is on pr, tories win next one is fptp.

Leaving the eu and the voting system are both by their nature long term changes that cant be changed easily by the next parliament. Long term changes need specific consent. I have absolutely no doubt pr would get about the same in a referendum as av even if a majority voted for parties with pr in their manifesto.

Sane people realise all pr does is allow parties to decide what their actual manifesto is after we have cast our vote and then use our votes to pretend they had a mandate.
  • Options

The very first thing you need to realise about Wales is that it will have 10 less constituencies next time.

Labour now have 28/40.

Labour may proportionately increase their vote in Wales next GE, but it is baked in that the absolute number of Labour seats in Wales will go down.
    If they got 70% of the seats with a drop that still be a landslide but I take the point.

I will be interested to see if the constituency reduction does make a difference, I am not convinced.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    They are fighting for the soul of their party.

As well as to be relevant over the next 4 years.

For all of HYUFD's praise of Trump, it's not easy to lose as incumbent President. It's only happened three times before today.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Johnson will be left deeply exposed now, RIP USA trade deal, it's Brexit capitulation or economic disaster with No Deal on the way. What will he choose?

His friend in the world gone, populism rejected fairly decisively so far this year, he's a dying breed.

The pushing of the idea of his friendship with Trump is rather overblown I think. He's said things against Trump in the past, other world leaders have praised or at least feted Trump just as much or more, because he was President of the United States and that's what you do. Edit: It was even claimed in a clip from last year that Boris, Macron and Trudeau were all having a good laugh mocking Trump together at a NATO summit.
  • Options

Labour now have 28/40.

Thought it was 32?
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,014
    GIN1138 said:

Oh god we're not going to spend the next four years debating the virtues of FPTP Vs AV Vs PR again are we? :D
    Nope. FPTP is shite, AV is 90% shite, and STV is the first step to the UK fixing its structural issues.

We'll keep FPTP, and be fucked as a result.

Debate done.
This discussion has been closed.