Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden moves to an 84% chance of victory on the exchanges as the scale of his likely victory becomes

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited November 2020 in General
imageBiden moves to an 84% chance of victory on the exchanges as the scale of his likely victory becomes clearer – politicalbetting.com

One of the aspects of this election that has only become apparent during the day is that information coming Biden’s three primary targets, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan has been impacted by decisions of their Republican controlled state legislatures to forbid any counting of the mass of advance votes before the election day.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    edited November 2020
    First, like the 46th President of the United States.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954
    Georgia: the lead is down to 90,000 votes with c. 280,000 remaining.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    edited November 2020
    First like Biden (eventually)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    First (or second?). Like Biden or Trump
  • Options
    So touch wood, it seems like Biden HQ had a strategy, they executed said strategy and said strategy worked.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    rcs1000 said:

If they are postal votes and split 2:1 as they seem to do it's going to be close.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    It does look like Biden has probably won now but likely by only 270 to 268 votes, the closest EC margin since 1876, so not much scale to his win
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    FPT

@Mal557 re the NY Times on the Arizona vote: I think you looked at the absentee vote difference, not the overall state difference. State difference is 90K with 14% left.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If Trump holds on in Georgia, it will likely be with a lead substantially smaller than the number of ballots that USPS failed to deliver.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

HYUFD said:
    What happened with Steve Baker? He was practically in tears the other days, declaring that his meeting with the scientists had utterly convinced him of Boris's lockdown wisdom.
    He remembered he was Brexit Hard Man, and Brexit Hard Men don't back down?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    HYUFD said:

It does look like Biden has probably won now but likely by only 270 to 268 votes, the closest EC margin since 1876, so not much scale to his win

How do you see your way to that figure?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    Pro_Rata said:

First (or second?). Like Biden or Trump

Or 4th like the Green or Kanye or someone else.

I could be a TV pundit :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That sounds - doable?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

FPT

@Mal557 re the NY Times on the Arizona vote: I think you looked at the absentee vote difference, not the overall state difference. State difference is 90K with 14% left.

You still keep ignoring votes that haven't even been received in Arizona. In 2018 they broke very heavily for the Dems.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    MrEd said:

FPT

oops, clearly i need more than 3 hours sleep, thanks for the point out
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

That sounds - doable?
    It'll be very close.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FPT

I would look out for any shenanigans around the NE-02 electoral vote. The Republican Governor gets to appoint the electors and it is unclear from the wording what happens if the NE-02 elector votes against the vote, whether their vote still stands. So you might get a 269-269 tie.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    Government say the Grocer story demanding cordoning off non-essential aisles is Fake News.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

If Trump holds on in Georgia, it will likely be with a lead substantially smaller than the number of ballots that USPS failed to deliver.
    They should definitely get counted.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He's assuming NV is a hold, AZ, WI and MI are Dem pickups, and PA, NC and GA stay red.

It's entirely possible, though, that NV falls to the Republicans. And equally possible the Dems pick up one of PA, NC and GA.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

So - there has been massive fraud and vote rigging, just not by Biden.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Of the 8 states remaining to call Biden wins Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada and Arizona where he is ahead and Trump wins Georgia, North Carolina, Alaska and Pennsylvania where he is ahead, that comes to Biden 270 EC votes and Trump 268 EC votes
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Trump is on 213 at the moment.
    + ME-02, AK, PA, GA, NC = 268
  • Options
    So when do the court cases start?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

I would look out for any shenanigans around the NE-02 electoral vote. The Republican Governor gets to appoint the electors and it is unclear from the wording what happens if the NE-02 elector votes against the vote, whether their vote still stands. So you might get a 269-269 tie.
    That won't happen, because it would cause an extraordinary constitutional crisis.

Does Nebraska have a law against faithless electors?
  • Options

Government say the Grocer story demanding cordoning off non-essential aisles is Fake News.

Surely we all knew that? Even Boris Johnson isn’t quite as useless as Mark Drakeford.

I won’t go bail for Cummings.
  • Options
    So Trumps best route now is GA, NC, PA and NV perhaps? or replace NV with AZ. GA and NC look like wins for him to me, GA close again but no flip.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    Crikey GA could be close.
  • Options
    Interesting table on where Biden and Trump have harvested their votes ...
    https://twitter.com/PoliticoRyan/status/1324039912153337858
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

HYUFD said:

Far too early to be calling PA or GA for Trump
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

FPT

You still keep ignoring votes that haven't even been received in Arizona. In 2018 they broke very heavily for the Dems.
    For this, I was just pointing out to the difference to @Mal557 on his reading of the NYT data.

Re your point, I have said it before but I will repeat it - can 2018 be used as a template for 2020? How many of those 2018 VBMs have already put in their ballot early on in 2020? I just don't think you can take 2018's voting behaviour and extrapolate it to 2020.

Also, and you can take from this what you will, the Republicans seem to have given a outline of why they are confident re AZ. The Biden campaign seems to have omitted it from that outline.
  • Options
    I believe Biden could have won 290+ if it weren't for Trump's antics
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

He's assuming NV is a hold, AZ, WI and MI are Dem pickups, and PA, NC and GA stay red.

It's entirely possible, though, that NV falls to the Republicans. And equally possible the Dems pick up one of PA, NC and GA.
    If Trump wins Nevada then he would be re elected yes, Nevada could now be the tipping point state, if Biden overturns one of the other states Trump is ahead and holds Nevada that simply increases the scale of his lead, he will already have won
  • Options

Wait I thought Democrats were all elitists who hate the working class? Now I'm confused.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If that is right you would be within 1 EV of each with your tie forecast.

We shall see.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    Might want to be careful on exit poll based stuff...those figures from the fox and cnn exit polls don't look anywhere near in line with actual sentiment as expressed at the ballot box...they all pointed to Biden landslide.

The fox one in particular was incredible. It was like they had only interviewed the Biden campaign, but they claim it was 120k interviews.
  • Options

Misleading, Biden won the richest voters earning over $200k a year 47% to 43% for Trump and the poorest voters earning under $50k, Trump did best amongst middle income voters earning from $50k to $200k

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/exit-polls-president.html
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

That won't happen, because it would cause an extraordinary constitutional crisis.

I think the excuse that would be used is that the Ds executed widespread fraud and therefore they could not, in conscience, vote for Biden. Which would be appalling and, you are right, wrong but is a possibility.

The wording is unclear. I tried to get on the Nebraska legislature website but couldn't. Here is the wording I picked up:

"Presidential electors in Nebraska are required to cast their ballots for the candidate who won the highest number of votes in their district. A presidential elector who refuses to present a ballot, who attempts to present an unmarked ballot, or who casts a vote contrary to that requirement vacates the office of elector. In such a case, the governor will appoint a replacement."

What I asked FPT was that, if the elector casts their vote for a different candidate, is that vote still valid or discarded? My reading of this is it implies it would be accepted and the elector is dismissed afterwards.
  • Options

I think what this is showing with truly brutal clarity is that Biden should have run four years ago.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

FPT

For this, I was just pointing out to the difference to @Mal557 on his reading of the NYT data.

Re your point, I have said it before but I will repeat it - can 2018 be used as a template for 2020? How many of those 2018 VBMs have already put in their ballot early on in 2020? I just don't think you can take 2018's voting behaviour and extrapolate it to 2020.

Also, and you can take from this what you will, the Republicans seem to have given a outline of why they are confident re AZ. The Biden campaign seems to have omitted it from that outline.
    Given how slow USPS has been across the States, it would be staggering if there weren't at least some to come.

According to Elect Project, 1.2m Dem Mail Ballots were requested in AZ, but only 923,805 have been returned.

I would be staggered if at least some of them didn't trickle in.

You're really betting that USPS has been incredibly efficient in Arizona compared to (a) the rest of the country and (b) the history of 2018.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

That is true but you can see how this sort of thing could be a problem given the different way that Nebraska and Maine allocate their votes. That said, if something dodgy happened with the NE vote, presumably that would be countered by the ME voter doing the same and cancelling it out.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Trump doesnt know recount rules
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

FPT

Given how slow USPS has been across the States, it would be staggering if there weren't at least some to come.

According to Elect Project, 1.2m Dem Mail Ballots were requested in AZ, but only 923,805 have been returned.

You're really betting that USPS has been incredibly efficient in Arizona compared to (a) the rest of the country and (b) the history of 2018.
    I wouldn't bet anything on USPS given what has been happening. That has the prospects of going all the way to the SC.
  • Options
    Betfair thinks it's over in MI and WI.

1.06 Dem in both.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    ydoethur said:

I think what this is showing with truly brutal clarity is that Biden should have run four years ago.
    He was too old.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Might want to be careful on exit poll based stuff...those figures from the fox and cnn exit polls don't look anywhere near in line with actual sentiment as expressed at the ballot box...they all pointed to Biden landslide.

The fox one in particular was incredible. It was like they had only interviewed the Biden campaign, but they claim it was 120k interviews.

Nate Silver warned to ignore the exit polls. He was right.
  • Options

I think there's a lot about elections he does not know, his bafflement and anger at things is genuine.
  • Options
    I think the threader might be a bit premature by OGH.

I'd want a fatter assurance in AZ and NV I think.

I agree that WI and MI are probably done.
  • Options
    Nevada

Dem 1.1
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Misleading, Biden won the richest voters earning over $200k a year 47% to 43% for Trump and the poorest voters earning under $50k, Trump did best amongst middle income voters earning from $50k to $200k

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/exit-polls-president.html
    $200k a year is middle income? You move in pretty exclusive circles!
  • Options

Wait I thought Democrats were all elitists who hate the working class? Now I'm confused.
    They have a brutal, unreasoning hatred of people who pay $750 a year in taxes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Far too early to be calling PA or GA for Trump
    I'm not making a call, I'm showing how Trump could get to 268.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

What happened with those in the end - were they found ?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

FPT

I wouldn't bet anything on USPS given what has been happening. That has the prospects of going all the way to the SC.
    Arizona law is very clear. Ballots received in the week after the election, but postmarked on the day or before, are valid. The Supreme Court won't overturn that.

If Trump order USPS to stop delivering mail to the count in Arizona, then the Supreme Court will end up getting involved.

If that were to lead to Trump winning, I suspect it would result in civil war in the US.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The richest voters earning over $200k actually voted for Biden

https://twitter.com/akuaku768/status/1324041101745991680?s=20
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

He was too old.
    And he isn’t now?

If it’s this close under these circumstances, it’s very hard to believe he would have lost in 2016.
  • Options

Betfair thinks it's over in MI and WI.

1.06 Dem in both.

Yep. All down to PA, GA, NV, AZ now. And NC. But I’m not expecting NC to flip.

• Options
    Klopp, Salah and Andy Durso seen advising the Trump legal team.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited November 2020
    The big thing is that if Biden wins AZ and PA (plus MI, WI) then Trump would have to overturn two states in the Courts.

One state - he might give it a shot. Two, I think he gives up.
  • Options

Nevada

Dem 1.1

I'd sell that. Although maybe someone knows something I don't.
  • Options
    Biden would have walked it four years ago IMHO
  • Options

Would he have beaten Hillary though?
  • Options
    trump contesting Wisconsin. Claiming irregularities in several counties
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MrEd said:

He's just talking about the "vote dump" stuff he's seen on twitter. He'll believe anything he sees on there. For somebody who goes on and on about "fake news" he's incredibly bad at actually spotting it when he sees it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think there's a lot about elections he does not know, his bafflement and anger at things is genuine.
    I don't think it's genuine at all (although doubt he's interested in the detail). In plain sight he was always pretty clear that, if he was on the wrong end of a close result, he'd simply throw as much shade as possible to delegitimise.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

$200k a year is middle income? You move in pretty exclusive circles!
    Under $200k a year household income is middle income in the USA, 7% of households as the data shows of US voters have household income over $200k, a husband and a wife each earning £70,000 a year in the UK would have been on over $200 000 a year household income in US terms only a few years ago when you got $1.5 to the £1
  • Options
    MrEd said:

By “irregularities” does he mean votes for a different candidate?
  • Options
    noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249
    edited November 2020
    Not been following things too much, but noting that betfair makes Reps about 3 in Pennsylvania and 3 ish in Arizona

If Trump wins those 2 plus Georgia and NC would he win?

With Biden winning Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada etc
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Well, Bernie Sanders gave her quite a fright and he’s not even a Democrat.

The incumbent Veep? He would have won the primaries.

The problem was, he thought he couldn’t against Clinton. What’s intriguing in retrospect is just how formidable everyone, even those who knew her well, thought she was.
  • Options
    FPT - those voting against Lockdown II seem like the usual suspects to me. Theresa May abstained though who isn't. He obviously wants to avoid 55 letters as he's been very generous to those voting against him.

It may be that Boris's attitude on Brexit/coronavirus are in creative symbiosis.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

They should definitely get counted.
    Isn't the issue that the ballots weren't delivered to the voter, so we don't know how they would have voted, or have I misunderstood?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

He was too old.
    And he isn’t now?

If it’s this close under these circumstances, it’s very hard to believe he would have lost in 2016.
    I don't know you can say that. Trump the outsider was a lot easier to project your hopes onto than Trump the President. Plus 4 years ago Biden would have had to actually go out and campaign, which might have been embarrassing. Plus I have heard that America has had this bug going around and quite a lot of people seem to blame Trump for it.

If this is the best that Biden can do under much more favourable circumstances I suspect that he would have lost handily 4 years ago.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

FPT

Arizona law is very clear. Ballots received in the week after the election, but postmarked on the day or before, are valid. The Supreme Court won't overturn that.

If Trump order USPS to stop delivering mail to the count in Arizona, then the Supreme Court will end up getting involved.

If that were to lead to Trump winning, I suspect it would result in civil war in the US.
    It might do but I doubt that would stop Trump.

Also, I mentioned before the conversation I had around the rushing of the Comey Barrett SC appointment. The Trump campaign have been wargaming for contested elections for months and will know what to target and where.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    What a shit show. :D
  • Options

FPT - those voting against Lockdown II seem like the usual suspects to me. Theresa May abstained though who isn't. He obviously wants to avoid 55 letters as he's been very generous to those voting against him.

It may be that Boris's attitude on Brexit/coronavirus are in creative symbiosis.

How? Has he expelled all the rebels from the party?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

As he's within 1% he's within his rights for a recount. Lost by about the same amount of votes as he won in 2016. This election will still be going on when the mid terms start :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

The problem was, he thought he couldn’t against Clinton. What’s intriguing in retrospect is just how formidable everyone, even those who knew her well, thought she was.
    Wasn't part of the fear that Sanders would come through the middle?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

MrEd said:

He's just talking about the "vote dump" stuff he's seen on twitter. He'll believe anything he sees on there. For somebody who goes on and on about "fake news" he's incredibly bad at actually spotting it when he sees it.
    Yes. He should admit defeat in WI unless he has actual hard evidence.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I don't think it's genuine at all (although doubt he's interested in the detail). In plain sight he was always pretty clear that, if he was on the wrong end of a close result, he'd simply throw as much shade as possible to delegitimise.
    Oh I think that is true too, I just also think that he genuinely doesn't know what is permissable and what isn't, nor is he interested in finding out.
  • Options

Not useful unless you also break down by rural/urban, education and race.

Too many things mixed together there.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nevada

Dem 1.1

I'd sell that. Although maybe someone knows something I don't.
    I tend to pay more attention to very short odds when counting is in – on the "someone always knows, someone always tells" principle.

But yeah, dunno.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Yawn. Calling recounts just makes you look like a sore loser.
  • Options

Not been following things too much, but noting that betfair makes Reps about 3 in Pennsylvania and 3 ish in Arizona

No. He needs one of AZ or NV.
  • Options
    Google (via AP) have called AZ for Biden since this morning, BBC haven't called it.
  • Options

Yes.

• Options

MrEd said:

Yawn. Calling recounts just makes you look like a sore loser.
    Well, he is.

Emphasis on ‘loser.’

Hopefully, greater emphasis on loser by tomorrow.
  • Options

No, he doesn't.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538
    edited November 2020

If that's accurate, it does somewhat disrupt the favoured narrative of blue collar workers voting for Trump and the liberal elite for Biden. It also puts into question whether identity politics/BLM etc. was such a significant player. It looks a bit traditional - people voting for who they think will make them better off financially.

PS I haven't posted today till now because I've been in a huge sulk about being completely wrong in predicting a Biden landslide. Kudos to those super-forecasters who did much better than me. Still, if Biden wins I'll live with it.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Not useful unless you also break down by rural/urban, education and race.

Too many things mixed together there.
    Exactly, Biden won the richest voters earning over $200 k a year in household income and graduates and postgraduates and those living in urban and suburban areas, the most wealthy and well educated voters in the US voted for Biden this year as did the poorest voters, those in the middle in terms of income and who did not go to college and who live in small towns and rural areas voted for Trump
  • Options

Yes.

Thank you :)

Glad I had a busy day of work today so didn't pay much attention too all this nonsense
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    Looks like both candidates could still win the election. There are so many votes still to count.
  • Options

No, he doesn't.
    He does if Biden wins MI and WI?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

FPT

What will happen to ballots that don't have a postmark on them?

I'm sure there are going to be quite a few of them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

In a lot of ways, she was formidable. Very intelligent, brilliantly connected, great networker, hoovered up endorsements, occupied the moderate ground in a way that made it very difficult for a competitor other than from the left wing (Sanders). But it didn't, ultimately, make the public warm to her, and either her campaign team let her down badly or she rejected their good advice.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

No, he doesn't.
    He does if Biden wins MI and WI?
    Yeah Trump gets to 268. He needs either AZ or NV.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Andy_JS said:

Looks like both candidates could still win the election. There are so many votes still to count.

Yes they 'could' but, frankly, this looks very good for Biden.
  • Options
    Is anyone actually counting at the moment, or are they all eating doughnuts? I only took one day off work.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Andy_JS said:

Yes they 'could' but, frankly, this looks very good for Biden.
    It’s a bit like last time, when halfway through the night people were saying, ‘Well, Clinton can still win this, but lots of things need to go right for her and they’re not looking promising at the moment.’

But this time, they’re saying it for Trump. He effectively needs to hold all the states still in play, and he’s behind in two of them.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

If that's accurate, it does somewhat disrupt the favoured narrative of blue collar workers voting for Trump and the liberal elite for Biden. It also puts into question whether identity politics/BLM etc. was such a significant player. It looks a bit traditional - people voting for who they think will make them better off financially.

PS I haven't posted today till now because I've been in a huge sulk about being completely wrong in predicting a Biden landslide. Kudos to those super-forecasters who did much better than me. Still, if Biden wins I'll live with it.
    Biden won those earning over $200 k a year 47% to 43%, Biden won those with a postgraduate degree 62% to 36% and Biden won those with a Bachelor's Degree 51% to 46%, Trump won those who never attended college 51% to 48%.

Biden's coalition was a mixture of the liberal wealthy, highly educated upper middle class, graduate BLM protestors and poor, below average income voters and non whites.

Trump's coalition was made up of the white working and lower middle class in rural and small towns and Cuban Americans

This discussion has been closed.