Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As Biden’s price goes past 4 on Betfair this maybe a long week – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Biden nearly within 100k of Trump in Georgia.
  • Options
    Dotty said:

Trump:

"They knew they couldn't win. So they said, 'let's go to court' (...) We want the law to be used in a proper manner, so we’ll be going to the US Supreme Court. We want all voting to stop. We don’t want them finding any ballots at four in the morning and adding them to the list." Meanwhjle he talks about a conspiracy to "disenfranchise" his own voters.

He's not confident, is he? He's stronger in electoral politics when he's the underdog. The opposite was true in his wrestling-TV persona.

Most of the news reports I'm reading are confusing "holds" with "wins". Trump didn't "win" Texas. He held that state, which in 2016 he won by his 9th or 10th smallest margin (counting NE-2 as a half). The 2% swing against him there in 2020 was insufficient to overturn his 9% majority.

Trump did win Texas. Yes it was a hold, but it was a win too.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    IanB2 said:

Trump should hold these states we are waiting on

I have literally no idea how you work that out.
    You (or the teams behind the screen in nerdville) look at the counties with significant numbers of votes outstanding and extrapolate based on the full county result last time and any observable swing, then add these as a projection to the totals already counted.
    No Rochdale is quite wrong. Several of the states left look good for Biden as flips.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Still dismissing Neill Ferguson and 1948?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,674

Sorry can somebody explain what's going on

HYUFD was on the money! Even if he arrived at his conclusion using dodgy data.

But as to what happens, no.
    We don't know that yet. It could still be a fairly clear Biden EC victory.
    True but even if that happens HYUFD is not that far off really.

Also although he used clearly dodgy data, our respectible data isn't exactly looking much better is it.

Maybe we just ask Trafalgar to look into a crystal ball and not bother to pretend to do a poll. Seems better than the pollsters.
  • Options
    Good morning

I have been convinced for weeks Biden would walk into the White House and catching up the news just now the one thing it does confirm to me is that I was wrong and have been wise not ever to bet

It also shows the folly in predicting polls and while it still looks like Biden may edge it, no doubt the lawyers will have their say

HYUFD and I have our disagreements but I hold up my hands and apologise to him as it does look like he was very prescient in his forecasts

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

NYT needle has 0.4 in Biden's favour
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Seriously disappointing night in the Senate for the Dems too. Not over yet but not looking good. Even if Biden wins he is likely to face a lot of issues getting appointments, especially judicial, through.

Without the trifecta it's as good as a loss.
    There is no chance of packing the Supreme Court, now. It has a 6-3 conservative majority for a long time to come. That said, conservative judges often become less conservative over time.
    Also, it doesn't mean they're in the business of fixing elections.

If there isn't a legal reason to invalidate the election results then they won't rule there is one.
    US Justices aren't impartial. If its a 6/3 or 5/4 decision then that doesn't mean there was a legal reason to do so.
    They aren't impartial but are still lawyers and have to find a reasonable reason.
  • Options

Good morning

HYUFD and I have our disagreements but I hold up my hands and apologise to him as it does look like he was very prescient in his forecasts

No it doesn't. Not yet.

Biden is still favourite to win this from here. And the final ECV tally may look a lot more clearcut than the currently confused situation.

And Biden will have won the popular vote by over the 2% Hillary win.

What it is not, however, is a landslide.
  • Options
    Morning fellow keyboard warriors.

Well. This is fun (he says ironically)

All I have seen this morning is the fairly lightweight frothy coverage from the BBC. So what is the PB Collective view on this in terms of the bare scores on the doors? Are they right that Biden is going to win this on paper (ignoring any idiotic challenges from Trump) or is it really still the case that Trump could take Penn and one of the other Mid Wests and win the election at the ballot box rather than in the courts?

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Those polls were a bit shit, weren't they.

Thank god I only bet a small amount on this election..
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited November 2020
    Oh hello 13/8 Biden (1.62/1 in old money😉)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Seriously disappointing night in the Senate for the Dems too. Not over yet but not looking good. Even if Biden wins he is likely to face a lot of issues getting appointments, especially judicial, through.

There is no chance of packing the Supreme Court, now. It has a 6-3 conservative majority for a long time to come. That said, conservative judges often become less conservative over time.

If there isn't a legal reason to invalidate the election results then they won't rule there is one.
    US Justices aren't impartial. If its a 6/3 or 5/4 decision then that doesn't mean there was a legal reason to do so.
    They aren't impartial but are still lawyers and have to find a reasonable reason.
    Its easy for a lawyer to find a reason to justify what they want to justify.

A Justice is supposed to determine what the law is though, not what they want it to be.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2020

Good morning

No it doesn't. Not yet.

Biden is still favourite to win this from here. And the final ECV tally may look a lot more clearcut than the currently confused situation.

I agree, Biden looks the more likely. Whatever happens though, there will be a major reckoning both within the Democratic Party and the polling industry at the scale of the victory.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Trump is favourite on Betfair for each of GA, PA, MI, WI
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,997
    edited November 2020

Jonathan said:

Nate Silver popped up on ABC, still saying Biden has the edge.

Well he clearly does
    Hmm, not sure. It's more like 50/50. Did anyone bet on a tie?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,969

All I have seen this morning is the fairly lightweight frothy coverage from the BBC. So what is the PB Collective view on this in terms of the bare scores on the doors? Are they right that Biden is going to win this on paper (ignoring any idiotic challenges from Trump) or is it really still the case that Trump could take Penn and one of the other Mid Wests and win the election at the ballot box rather than in the courts?

I'd say a 55% likelihood of a Biden win.
  • Options

Good morning

No it doesn't. Not yet.

What are you basing this on? Are you assuming Biden has two of Penn, Wisc and Michigan?
  • Options

Good morning

No it doesn't. Not yet.

Maybe I misread HYUFD but he did seem to predict a very close race when others were forecasting a landslide

As I said it does look like a narrow Biden win
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,451

IanB2 said:

You (or the teams behind the screen in nerdville) look at the counties with significant numbers of votes outstanding and extrapolate based on the full county result last time and any observable swing, then add these as a projection to the totals already counted.
    No Rochdale is quite wrong. Several of the states left look good for Biden as flips.
    Fine, but you said you literally had no idea how it was done.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2020

Hmm. I’m feeling slightly more nervous for Biden now. Those PA and WI deficits look tough. I think we are back to 50/50 in my mind. Winning GA would help.

Relax on PA. They haven't even begun counting votes cast by mail.
    They've counted about a 40% of them.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,969

Good morning

No it doesn't. Not yet.

Given how polarised the US is, we should assume that landslide wins are very unlikely, now. In terms of vote share, even Obama's 2008 victory was not really a landslide.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Anyone else surprised Wisconsin is even close given Biden's margin in Minnesota?

No, it's more aligned with Michigan and Pennsylvania these days.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Is a lot of the talk about Pennsylvania not missing the bigger picture here? If Biden wins Nevada, Wisconsin and Michigan then he wins. Penn is irrelevant now he;s got Arizona and NE2 in the bag?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Yep there are some good precincts to come for him and the issue of the 84,000 votes that hit a glitch.

This is why Biden's position looks, cautiously, optimistic:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/04/politics/mail-in-ballots-pennsylvania-georgia-michigan-wisconsin/index.html

And I think he is taking Arizona where Kelly has defeated McSally to gain a Democrat Senate seat.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Its easy for a lawyer to find a reason to justify what they want to justify.

A Justice is supposed to determine what the law is though, not what they want it to be.
    It's not quite so easy!
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited November 2020
    Stocky said:

The devil is in the detail (not went down to) in Georgia.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That seems about right.

The only thing stopping me betting on Biden is I'm too red on him as it is.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Is a lot of the talk about Pennsylvania not missing the bigger picture here? If Biden wins Nevada, Wisconsin and Michigan then he wins. Penn is irrelevant now he;s got Arizona and NE2 in the bag?

Kind of true.

He 'may' also win Georgia.
  • Options
    DottyDotty Posts: 16

Dotty said:

Trump:

"They knew they couldn't win. So they said, 'let's go to court' (...) We want the law to be used in a proper manner, so we’ll be going to the US Supreme Court. We want all voting to stop. We don’t want them finding any ballots at four in the morning and adding them to the list." Meanwhjle he talks about a conspiracy to "disenfranchise" his own voters.

He's not confident, is he? He's stronger in electoral politics when he's the underdog. The opposite was true in his wrestling-TV persona.

Most of the news reports I'm reading are confusing "holds" with "wins". Trump didn't "win" Texas. He held that state, which in 2016 he won by his 9th or 10th smallest margin (counting NE-2 as a half). The 2% swing against him there in 2020 was insufficient to overturn his 9% majority.

OK, true. Point taken. They do say "win" rather than "gain". But the impression in some reports is "whoop-de-doo". Managed to hold on to it because his voteshare loss wasn't big enough to flip it would be fairer reporting.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Nate Silver popped up on ABC, still saying Biden has the edge.

Well he clearly does
    Hmm, not sure. It's more like 50/50. Did anyone bet on a tie?
    HYUFD!
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Good morning

No it doesn't. Not yet.

What are you basing this on? Are you assuming Biden has two of Penn, Wisc and Michigan?
    On CNN they're explaining which areas have counted what proportion of the mail in votes. Hundreds of thousands outstanding and mostly from predominatly Democratic areas.
    Lots more counting needed before things become clear.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Good morning

No it doesn't. Not yet.

Given how polarised the US is, we should assume that landslide wins are very unlikely, now. In terms of vote share, even Obama's 2008 victory was not really a landslide.
    Agreed
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,263

I think I am the only person on here who feels a Biden win is marginally more likely than it was yesterday evening, although I think Trump will still win - just. The Minnessota polls were within 1% of the final result and I think that does suggest that the margin of polling error will not be that great in its neighbouring states this time out.
  • Options
    Markets down
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited November 2020
    My current nowcast prediction is:

Trump 283 - Biden 255

With Biden winning Wisconsin but losing Georgia, MI, PA
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167

It’s worth noting that Biden is set to win the popular vote by a wider margin than Clinton did in 2016. So, we can place the American people next to pollsters and liberal elites in that list of losers if Trump does win.

If Trump is re elected therefore he will also be the first President in US history to have been re elected without ever having won the national popular vote
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Morning Sean, I crashed out at 3am assuming a Trump victory.

Can you explain the path to 270 for Biden?

(Or can anyone?)

I have just woken up.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Good morning

No it doesn't. Not yet.

On CNN they're explaining which areas have counted what proportion of the mail in votes. Hundreds of thousands outstanding and mostly from predominatly Democratic areas.
    Lots more counting needed before things become clear.
    I know that. Mysticrose is claiming that Biden is favourite to win presidency but I'm struggling to see how this conclusion is reached.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Good morning

No it doesn't. Not yet.

Agreed
    Identity politics has a lot to answer for
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336

Good morning

No it doesn't. Not yet.

Did you or your book write that post?

Although I hope you or your book are right.
  • Options
    I am attempting to tell myself it is always darkest before the dawn.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

(Or can anyone?)

I have just woken up.
    2 out of 3 of Georgia, Michigan or Wisconsin - assuming PA is too far gone for Biden...(which I think it is, just)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,033
    If we agree to junk the polls as being misleading in places like Florida, we can judge the campaigns on their historical merits and not on made-up expectations. Biden/Harris came closer than any challenger except Clintin
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

It’s worth noting that Biden is set to win the popular vote by a wider margin than Clinton did in 2016. So, we can place the American people next to pollsters and liberal elites in that list of losers if Trump does win.

No, you can’t.

If it was important to them to have the vote determined by population there is a process for changing the Constitution
  • Options

Sean_F said:

(Or can anyone?)

I have just woken up.
    Biden scored AZ and Omaha, so he needs any two of:

GA - mostly counted, looks like squeaker
    MI/PA/WI - mail mostly not counted yet
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,033
    Charles said:

No, you can’t.

If it was important to them to have the vote determined by population there is a process for changing the Constitution
    Which is itself a majority-vote process? Innocent face.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

(Or can anyone?)

I have just woken up.

That's right
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

I am attempting to tell myself it is always darkest before the dawn.

Has four more years of Trump dawned on you yet?

That is one ornery set of voters....
  • Options

Sean_F said:

(Or can anyone?)

I have just woken up.
    Broadly speaking a number of major outlets have called Arizona for Biden. He has Minnessota - where the final result was within 1% of the polling average. Trump has only a 4% lead in Wisconsin with absentees and Milwaukee yet to report finally. He's within 100,000 votes in Georgia where the bulk of the county containing Atlanta is yet to report. And anecdotally his advantage in mail-in ballots in PA is off the scale.

That being said, I think that my predicion yesterday of a bigger PV win for Biden than Clinton and a narrower EC win for Trump will happen. And that will provoke serious issues in the States.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    alex_ said:

Wisconsin is possibly the hardest of the three to win, if I'm reading the current results correctly, so the most likely victory path for Biden would then be Michigan and Pennsylvania.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Just woke up after few hours sleep to pretty much what I expected. Both sides suggesting they are winning (or on the way to winning). Looking at the Fox news map currently Biden 238/213 (they have called AZ for him) and whats left so I'm adding the 6 for NV as though close looks very good for Biden. So at 244 he needs 26, from PA, MI, WI, and GA (im discounting NC as looks certain Trumps won there). Hope I've got that right. Coffee time
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Good morning

No it doesn't. Not yet.

Agreed
    Identity politics has a lot to answer for
    I think Trump's pitch that he's for all patriotic Americans rather than categorising Americans into black, Hispanic, and White with intersections amongst them genders & sexuality all might have had considerable appeal.

I expect the Democratic base to learn precisely zero lessons from this.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

(Or can anyone?)

I have just woken up.
    2 out of 3 of Georgia, Michigan or Wisconsin - assuming PA is too far gone for Biden...(which I think it is, just)
    My take, PA might not be too far gone, but not needed anyway. Biden has won once he secures Michigan and Wisconsin.

Dems can still take the senate speakers gavel too, though through special elections in Georgia.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

(Or can anyone?)

I have just woken up.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Which makes his odds on Betfair value.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cheers Sean. So sadly it looks like months in court then.

Last night I was musing on why the US don't change Governments straight after the election rather than having a lame duck president sat there for months possibly causing all sorts of trouble. I suppose this situation is one reason why.
  • Options
    Just remember that the NYT has Georgia leaning Biden.

Squeaky situation there but their algorithms seem pretty good. ABC also think the outstanding votes in Georgia are good for Biden.
  • Options
    Ian Dunt's depressing take on the election.

"US election results: Trump can still lose, but without a landslide his racism and lies have been vindicated
    Trump critics hoped this would be a defining moment, in which the US saw what this kind of politics entailed and decisively rejected it. That hasn’t happened
    author avatar image
    By Ian Dunt"

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/us-election-results-donald-trump-can-lost-joe-biden-landslide-racism-lies-747977?ito=twitter_share_article-top
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Mortimer said:

Trump 283 - Biden 255

Yes, we've been here too often before, with projections as to how much difference "catching up" is going to make usually over-estimated, whether swing states for Clinton last time or Remain votes from London.

PA in particular looks good for Trump.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Dotty said:

Dotty said:

Trump:

OK, true. Point taken. They do say "win" rather than "gain". But the impression in some reports is "whoop-de-doo". Managed to hold on to it because his voteshare loss wasn't big enough to flip it would be fairer reporting.
    Still within the definition of "win".

Nothing abut Texas that was a "gain".
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662

Sean_F said:

(Or can anyone?)

I have just woken up.

That's right
    Looking at the margins in the 3 rust belt states before those votes are counted, PA looks a stretch for Biden, so oddly enough I think his best chance might be to sneak Georgia (if thats possible still) then he has to win MI or WI? I think
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Trump 283 - Biden 255

Yes, we've been here too often before, with projections as to how much difference "catching up" is going to make usually over-estimated, whether swing states for Clinton last time or Remain votes for London.

Yep, Biden win needs something extraordinary in one rust belt seat AND Georgia to fall, now I think.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

alex_ said:

Wisconsin is possibly the hardest of the three to win, if I'm reading the current results correctly, so the most likely victory path for Biden would then be Michigan and Pennsylvania.
    “ Wisconsin is possibly the hardest of the three to win” what are you basing that on?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    I really would urge those thinking PA looks good for Trump to keep your powder dry. We saw all through the night how either mail in ballots or on the day votes can totally alter the math.

Pa. haven't counted mail ins yet and they are expected to slew heavily Biden. The Dem team are positive about Pa.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I think I am the only person on here who feels a Biden win is marginally more likely than it was yesterday evening, although I think Trump will still win - just. The Minnessota polls were within 1% of the final result and I think that does suggest that the margin of polling error will not be that great in its neighbouring states this time out.
    Cheers Doug.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    There a load of precincts outstanding in Philly to count as well.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    It looks as though Biden needs either Pennsylvania, or any two of Wisconsin, Michigan and Georgia.

I am not sure it would be extraordinary for him to win either Wisconsin or Michigan, depending how big his margin in early votes is. Trump is only 4 points ahead in Wisconsin, with 18% still to come.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    Disappointing but a huge pat on the back for HYUFD. He's done it again! PB's predictor of the year (whatever the final result). Nate who?
  • Options
    Chris said:

It looks as though Biden needs either Pennsylvania, or any two of Wisconsin, Michigan and Georgia.

I am not sure it would be extraordinary for him to win either Wisconsin or Michigan, depending how big his margin in early votes is. Trump is only 4 points ahead in Wisconsin, with 18% still to come.

So he needs at least 60/40 of the rest, roughly.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    North Carolina accepts mail in votes until 12th November, which is pushing a bit if it could be important and close.

A quick question - how many military ballots are there not in the numbers yet? And are they all in Florida?
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, BLM seem to have been good recruiting sergeants for Trump (as predicted by me and others, although the scale has surprised me a lot). Bit akin to Momentum over here.

Kneeling Starmer may want to take note.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

All these states look narrow. If Trump wins them then any attempt by the DNC to challenge gets positioned as stealing the election. If Biden wins them then the RNC go to court to get chunks overturned as a fraudulent attempt to steal the election.

When its this partisan, and the votes are that tight, Trump wins regardless.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Trump 283 - Biden 255

Yes, we've been here too often before, with projections as to how much difference "catching up" is going to make usually over-estimated, whether swing states for Clinton last time or Remain votes from London.

But it's not as though the talk of catching up is a post hoc thing in this case. We were warned all along that the on-the-day results in the Midwest would look very strong for Trump, and not to take them at face value.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    gealbhan said:

alex_ said:

“ Wisconsin is possibly the hardest of the three to win” what are you basing that on?
    The results on the Guardian are showing Milwaukee as 99% counted.
  • Options
    A good summary of the state of play just now on 538:

Where The Presidential Race And Outstanding Vote Stands … For Now

Readers, we’re going pausing a bit in our coverage as the election at this point is far from over. Biden leads in the electoral vote count, 227 to 213, but no candidate has a lock on 270 yet, and multiple paths exist for both Biden and Trump.

There are a number of projections in key battleground states we’re missing, including Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Maine, North Carolina and Georgia, and we likely won’t have projections there until early today — or later this week.

So we’d caution you at this point to not jump to any conclusions. We can say that Democrats did not have the evening they wanted in the Senate (see Nathaniel’s recap of the Senate races below) and that while Democrats maintained their majority in the House, they do not seem to have gained seats; instead Republicans made inroads, picking up districts like South Carolina’s 1st District, New Mexico’s 2nd District and Oklahoma’s 5th District, per the AP. And Collin Peterson, who was the most vulnerable incumbent in the House, has also lost in Minnesota’s 7th District, per ABC News.

But at this point, keep in mind that both Trump and Biden have multiple paths to the White House — and much hinges on Pennsylvania, the state our forecast puts as the most likely tipping-point state (or the state that delivers the 270th electoral vote). We’ll be back in a few hours, as we continue to track the vote.

1/2
  • Options
    Here’s a look at what we know about the outstanding vote in each battleground state:

Arizona: While some outlets, such as the Associated Press, have projected Arizona for Biden, ABC News has not. Before the election, officials did warn that any super-close races might not be resolved until the last votes are counted on Thursday or Friday. However, the race isn’t that close right now (Biden 52 percent, Trump 47 percent), so we might see a projection sooner.
    Wisconsin: 81 percent of the expected vote is already reporting here, and the rest should trickle in over the next few hours. Earlier tonight, Milwaukee County (expected to be among the last places to finish counting) said to expect semi-final results around 6 a.m. Eastern.
    Georgia: The big holdup here is Fulton County, which as of 2 a.m. was home to most of the outstanding ballots. The count there was delayed by a burst pipe (no ballots were damaged), and election officials told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution their goal was to go into Wednesday with just 20,000 ballots left to count. However, the secretary of state estimated those results would not be released until the afternoon.
    Michigan: There are still hundreds of thousands of absentee ballots to be counted here, and it’s unclear if counting will continue throughout the night. Election officials did say earlier on Tuesday that they expected counting to wrap up by Wednesday night.
    Pennsylvania: Major counties such as Philadelphia and Allegheny have reported their last ballots of the night (although Philadelphia will continue to count around the clock). Going into the election, many county and state election officials predicted that results wouldn’t approach completion until Friday.
    North Carolina: 95 percent of the expected vote has already been counted here, so it seems quite possible that all we’re waiting on are late-arriving mail-in ballots, which have until Nov. 12 to arrive. That means we could be waiting over a week for a call here.
    Maine: Honestly, this is anyone’s guess. Election officials are taking much longer here than they originally expected.

2/2

Source: 538
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If Trump is re elected therefore he will also be the first President in US history to have been re elected without ever having won the national popular vote
    That sure would be a symptom of something.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

coach said:

coach said:

I haven't been on here for a while, last time I did I was grumbling that it had turned into en echo chamber obsessed with unreliable polls.

For a site allegedly full of well informed politicos who like betting its a joke

You could say that to the entire US polling industry.
    Yep, and I read on here

"According to the polls"

When will you lot learn?
    Learn what?
    I can the false narrative already emerging, that no one suggested trump had a chance and that since polling is all crap anyone who listened to it at all was being silly. Clearly it was closer than many thought, and well done to those calling it closer, but let's bugger off with the attempts to claim that as more than it was.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

coach said:

coach said:

I haven't been on here for a while, last time I did I was grumbling that it had turned into en echo chamber obsessed with unreliable polls.

For a site allegedly full of well informed politicos who like betting its a joke

You could say that to the entire US polling industry.
    Yep, and I read on here

"According to the polls"

When will you lot learn?
    Learn what?
    I can the false narrative already emerging, that no one suggested trump had a chance and that since polling is all crap anyone who listened to it at all was being silly. Clearly it was closer than many thought, and well done to those calling it closer, but let's bugger off with the attempts to claim that as more than it was.
    I second this. In fact there were multiple outlets suggesting Trump would take advantge of the lead he showed from on the day voting when the consensus is that mail ins would favour Biden. Let's look at where we are. Biden is ahead on EC votes called, Trump has slim (in the cases of Georgia and Wisconsin, very slim) leads in many of the pivotal remaining states pending results from the big cities and also mail-ins.

No one has a landslide here but many were suggesting an outcome along these lines. And Trump is lawyered up and before the courts today in PA. If that were in the bag then why bother?
  • Options
    1. Well, although there's currently an American rat currently still hanging on in the White House, the good news is that the Norwegian rats recently occupying My House don't seem to have done much damage to my kitchen overnight. I hope they've taken the bait.

2. It seems to me that US polling is just not as refined as UK polling. If a company could even get a proper exit poll they could do wonders.

3. George Stephanopoulos is a good host: has he been going all night?

--AS
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900

Mr. Royale, BLM seem to have been good recruiting sergeants for Trump (as predicted by me and others, although the scale has surprised me a lot). Bit akin to Momentum over here.

Kneeling Starmer may want to take note.

perhaps the most bizarre comment of a very bizarre night!
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250
    Surely its time we had VAR in elections
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    edited November 2020
    I have had a look at the five remaining swing states and the probability of Biden taking them based on Betfair latest price.

Georgia 42%
    Wisconsin 79%
    Michigan 61%
    Penn 37%
    Nevada 67%

There are 32 B/T combinations of these 5 states.
    Of these 32 combinations, 16 give Biden 270+ ECs.
    I have computed the probabilities of each combination (ignoring correlation between states which I think is less important at this counting stage) and the probability that Biden finds a winning path is 66%. I have checked that all the combinations add up to 100%.

It is based on assumption that Biden has 238 "in the bag" including NE2. I think that is right.
    Without NE2 it drops to 48%.

I note that Biden is at currently 1.83 (55%) on Betfair.
This discussion has been closed.