Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As Biden’s price goes past 4 on Betfair this maybe a long week – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    rcs1000 said:

Wisconsin Trump lead down to 3.8% with 22% to come.

are they closing at the required rate do you know?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,002
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Nevada is the wild card atm. Not many votes in there yet.

How many young people in Vegas have lost their jobs this year and left the state?
    Interesting point.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Good morning, everyone.

I really didn't expect to see things being so close. Biden 2.5 on Betfair currently.

Makes me feel less moronic about hedging my bets earlier (long time ago).

I've a total of less than £100 staked on what's now an all-green result. There's definitely huge money to be made, but a combination of a new job and the known unknowns of close races, postal ballots, recounts and court challenges has made me stay away from most of the US markets.

For every big winner here, there's going to be a lot of big losers. One thing that's clear, is that again the pollsters screwed up.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005

The main betting market still seems pretty confident that the big prize will be Trump's.
    In Betfair's massive "Next President" market, Trump's odds are 1.69 while Biden's are 2.46. In old-fashioned bookie's odds those equate to roughly 0.7/1 and 6/4 respectively ... quite a difference however you look at it. Mind you, a good result for one or other from the remaining states could dramatically change these odds.
    Personally, given the various pathways to reach 270 ECVs, I reckon Biden's odds represent cracking value and I've dived in!

Ah yes, I remember the old fashioned bookies of yesteryear chalking up 0.7/1 the jolly on their blackboards!
  • Options

The main betting market still seems pretty confident that the big prize will be Trump's.
    In Betfair's massive "Next President" market, Trump's odds are 1.69 while Biden's are 2.46. In old-fashioned bookie's odds those equate to roughly 0.7/1 and 6/4 respectively ... quite a difference however you look at it. Mind you, a good result for one or other from the remaining states could dramatically change these odds.
    Personally, given the various pathways to reach 270 ECVs, I reckon Biden's odds represent cracking value and I've dived in!

Very much so. GA looking good and then he only needs one of PA MI and WI.

I personally suspect he has just eked it. But crikey another slightly wonky election for the majority of pollsters.

• Options
    Biden’s apparently said that they are ‘on track’ to win. Is this true, or a load of rubbish as I see Ohio and Texas look to still be red.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    IanB2 said:

This National swing chart is quite something. The most non-UNS election ever?

https://twitter.com/laurabronner/status/1323876679568162823?s=21

In the context of that map, this comment from the Des Moines Republican Chair is interesting: “ It didn’t impress Iowans to have someone from the east coast and the west coast on the ticket, That’s not how you endear yourself to the midwest,” he said.
    I said they should have picked Sherrod Brown
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Has the candidate with the bigger personality outperformed the polls here?

Who’dve thunk it
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Biden back out to 3.

Not sure why.
  • Options

Biden’s apparently said that they are ‘on track’ to win. Is this true, or a load of rubbish as I see Ohio and Texas look to still be red.

I would say he’s slightly favoured at the moment. He never needed OH and TX. The Dems were hoping for a blowout election which hasn’t materialised.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,070
    Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

I really didn't expect to see things being so close. Biden 2.5 on Betfair currently.

I've a total of less than £100 staked on what's now an all-green result. There's definitely huge money to be made, but a combination of a new job and the known unknowns of close races, postal ballots, recounts and court challenges has made me stay away from most of the US markets.

For every big winner here, there's going to be a lot of big losers. One thing that's clear, is that again the pollsters screwed up.
    Biden will be five points clear on the national vote share (I reckon) against 8% in the poll of polls. His problem was that he managed to get very close but no cigar in a bunch of states.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is absurdly, ridiculously close.

Again.
  • Options
    reps now gone fav in Wisconsin
  • Options

Jesus f*cking Christ, I suspected it would be close, but this is the death of an industry. How on Earth did pollsters get it so wrong?

They didn't! Trafalgar Group appears to have come close, perhaps very close yet again, depending on the outstanding results from the remaining counts.
    I wouldn't really call them a polling company as they refuse to disclose their methodology and admit they essentially alter results based on hunches. I mean, as you say they came close, but surely that only emphasises the point that real polling companies have humiliated themselves and revealed they can't accurate map public opinion in the US.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2020
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

This is absurdly, ridiculously close.

Again.
    I'm suddenly reminded of about 5am on election night 2000, when the BBC was talking about why Gore's victory had been inevitable al along, and how George Bush had "always been a weak candidate".
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,070

Do you believe the Google numbers for how many votes are to come? Or the NY Times ones?

If the former, pile on Trump. If the latter, Biden is a bargain.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    Trump in five mins
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

Biden will be five points clear on the national vote share (I reckon) against 8% in the poll of polls. His problem was that he managed to get very close but no cigar in a bunch of states.
    Same as, possibly even more so, than Hillary four years ago.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Wisconsin Trump lead down to 3.8% with 22% to come.

are they closing at the required rate do you know?
    The Fox team ducked that question as too finely balanced to say
  • Options
    Oh God, this is a Trump statement made with nothing to lose isn’t it?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

Fox suggesting the GA Senate seat might go to runoff in January

Wasn’t that part of the fun scenario where Harris is Acting President for 2 years?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Do you believe the Google numbers for how many votes are to come? Or the NY Times ones?

If the former, pile on Trump. If the latter, Biden is a bargain.
    i wish i knew
  • Options

It's true that Biden said that.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    edited November 2020
    Sandpit said:

It's true that Biden said that.
    No it isn’t. He said they believed they were on track to win.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

This National swing chart is quite something. The most non-UNS election ever?

https://twitter.com/laurabronner/status/1323876679568162823?s=21

In the context of that map, this comment from the Des Moines Republican Chair is interesting: “ It didn’t impress Iowans to have someone from the east coast and the west coast on the ticket, That’s not how you endear yourself to the midwest,” he said.
    I said they should have picked Sherrod Brown
    A VP from the mid West might have made the difference
  • Options
    Trump about to speak: BBC, who have a camera pointed at a corridor in the White House.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    What a depressing prospect this morning!
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Jesus f*cking Christ, I suspected it would be close, but this is the death of an industry. How on Earth did pollsters get it so wrong?

They didn't! Trafalgar Group appears to have come close, perhaps very close yet again, depending on the outstanding results from the remaining counts.
    After all the shit @HYUFD got that would be really quite funny 😂
  • Options
    Interesting that the audience for the Trump conference seems to be very African-American.
  • Options
    Tissue_Price may win the prize for best prediction.
  • Options
    North Carolina state website is reporting 100% precincts reporting.

Why hasn't it been called for Trump?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Interesting that the audience for the Trump conference seems to be very African-American.

Interesting that his support among Black Americans has been up so much too.
  • Options
    Reps emailing supporters for funds to fight the legal case
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

2000 here we go again, but with a lunatic in the White House.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Commiserations to those who stayed up all night
  • Options
    It is possible that, as we saw in 2017, the polls pointing toward a big win in one direction actually pushed some voters back in the other.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068

IanB2 said:

2000 here we go again, but with a lunatic in the White House.
    'Like' doesn't really apply, does it!
  • Options
    With Biden doing a old school rugby league drop goal in nebraska district 2 that makes in fav doesn't it?
  • Options
    Unless there are some hidden votes looks like Biden will take Nevada, by my prediction of 2%
  • Options
    No idea why NC hasn't been called.
  • Options
    Did pollsters ask the ‘personality’ question? I can find ‘energetic’ which Trump led by quite a distance, not sure if that is an acceptable substitute.

• Options
    I see he’s going straight with the ‘Dems are attempting to disenfranchise voters’, as predicted.

Glad I went to bed about 2, this is going to take a while.
  • Options
    Trump has just said they’ve won GA?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    He grabbed this election by the pussy and got four eight more years.
  • Options
    I've had a couple of hours sleep and nothing has changed! Why is Biden back out to 3?
  • Options
    Seeing conflicting reports about the number of outstanding mail ballots in PA.
  • Options
    Charles said:

He would say that wouldn't he.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Charles said:

It’s not usually stated as fact though
  • Options
    Pitiful from Trump
  • Options
    If an African dictator were to have spoken like that...?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2020
    Whether Biden wins or not, the Sanders camp is going to be resurgent amongst the Democrats, as this was exactly the scenario many of their most senior staffers predicted with a Biden campaign. They may have produced a very similar result for different reasons, but the rhetorical point will be made nonetheless.
  • Options
    Note that Pence doesn't claim victory.

Says he thinks they are on "the road to victory".
  • Options
    Identity politics is 100% to blame for this situation IMO. An utterly toxic development over the last few years.
  • Options
    Morning! So as it was looking Biden will comfortably win the vote but Trump is heading to win the EC. Glad to see that the President is going to go to the Supreme Court to protect democracy by having them stop counting votes.

It's morning in Gilead America
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

He's just said that he has won the whole election. Wouldn't normally say that either. And they want the counting the votes to stop.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,678
    So uncounted votes in the rust belt shouldn't be counted but uncounted votes in Arizona should be counted. Interested logic.
  • Options
    isam said:
    So much for all the overanalysing female early voting.
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250
    I haven't been on here for a while, last time I did I was grumbling that it had turned into en echo chamber obsessed with unreliable polls.

For a site allegedly full of well informed politicos who like betting its a joke
  • Options
    According to the PA state website there are 1.5 million mail ballots still to be counted.
  • Options
    Well, that’s the end of American democracy, they had a good run.
  • Options
    Only the military could get Trump out of the White House. And that won’t happen. The US is completely screwed. Markets will be a bloodbath. That will have severe consequences for all of us.
  • Options
    coach said:

I haven't been on here for a while, last time I did I was grumbling that it had turned into en echo chamber obsessed with unreliable polls.

For a site allegedly full of well informed politicos who like betting its a joke

You could say that to the entire US polling industry.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Identity politics is 100% to blame for this situation IMO. An utterly toxic development over the last few years.

Yes, but Trumpism and Brexitism is exactly 50% of it.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,323
    isam said:
    So it confirms the obvious: Clinton was a better candidate than Biden apart from being a woman.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    Andy_JS said:

Anyone opining that but failing to recognise Nativist Populism as identity politics has rather missed the point.
  • Options
    kamski said:

isam said:
    So it confirms the obvious: Clinton was a better candidate than Biden apart from being a woman.
    It does no such thing.
  • Options
    So now what?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

He's just said that he has won the whole election. Wouldn't normally say that either. And they want the counting the votes to stop.
    My wife started talking to me so I missed the rest...
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Good morning all. I'm back up after 3 hours sleep. I'm thankful for selling quickly last night but I bought Biden again at 262 which looks okay.

It's amazingly close but I think Biden will squeak it. His argument for the win will be strengthened by the popular vote win.

But a lot closer than I was expecting.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,323

kamski said:

isam said:
    It does no such thing.
    It's certainly the simplest explanation. And almost certainly true.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

According to the PA state website there are 1.5 million mail ballots still to be counted.

Still the lead is huge. Trump has a point about that.
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250

coach said:

Yep, and I read on here

"According to the polls"

When will you lot learn?
  • Options
    It seems to me that the only plot twist we haven’t seen yet is a Trump legal challenge accidentally unwinding his own win in a key state.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    edited November 2020
    Just trying to catch up with the results.

I'm a bit bemused by the apparent assumption that Trump has won again. Are people falling into the trap of being misled by election day votes in the Midwest? Per Nate Silver, Minnesota appears close to expectations. If anything like that is true for Michigan and Wisconsin, then (given that Biden has taken Nebraska 2nd district) we are back to Trump needing all six states in contention. He seems to have won three, but Arizona has been called by one network for Biden.

Is my reasoning wrong?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,372
    Why is Trump saying he us going to the Supreme Court over the Election?
  • Options
    Needle seems to be Georgia tilting Biden. If that flips it's surely all over but that seems to be going all over the place.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027

So now what?

Imagine the worst case, most convoluted process with people arguing over every single element of every decision (in public).

Then make it 10 times more convoluted with added anger
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

The gap is only around 650k.
  • Options
    coach said:

coach said:

Yep, and I read on here

"According to the polls"

When will you lot learn?
    Learn what?
  • Options
    That poll showing a 17% lead in Wisconsin was a bit off.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2020
    kamski said:

kamski said:

isam said:
    It does no such thing.
    It's certainly the simplest explanation. And almost certainly true.
    No it isn't. Unwind from Trump appealling primarily to white men last time is the simplest explanation.

If Hillary being a woman was the issue why is it only white men and not other men that it has changed with?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Freggles said:

Commiserations to those who stayed up all night

It was a wonderful experience. Nail biting.

• Options

I like the text on CNN. “Trump says he’ll go to Supreme Court: unclear why”.
  • Options

To stop mail in ballots, which are presumed to lean heavily Biden, being counted.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Anyone opining that but failing to recognise Nativist Populism as identity politics has rather missed the point.
    Complaining about Identity Politics is code for "politicians caring about Identities other than my own"
  • Options
    I think the Supreme Court is only likely to intervene in PA.

And it's entirely possible Biden wins without PA.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

650k lead with 1.5m to come means Biden needs much more than 2/1 in all that's left. Yes, in the cities but overall?
  • Options
    coach said:

coach said:

Yep, and I read on here

"According to the polls"

When will you lot learn?
    Polls for all their faults (and a lot of the discussion is about their faults) are pretty much all we have to go on.

Plural vote called several states wrong, but does seem to be onto something by adjusting polls according to Internet search data. He was calling a much closer election than other modelers.

http://www.pluralvote.com
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

That poll showing a 17% lead in Wisconsin was a bit off.

It implied that turnout was going to be higher than the total number of registered voters. So it was always more than a bit suspect
  • Options

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Philly is only going to close that by about 150k. Detroit alone may not be enough
  • Options
    Seriously disappointing night in the Senate for the Dems too. Not over yet but not looking good. Even if Biden wins he is likely to face a lot of issues getting appointments, especially judicial, through.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

650k lead with 1.5m to come means Biden needs much more than 2/1 in all that's left. Yes, in the cities but overall?
    That's entirely possible going off Dem leads in early voting.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,372

To stop mail in ballots, which are presumed to lean heavily Biden, being counted.
    Thank you.

Some people are going to lose their shirts over this election. Inhavent geen.on much but have read a fair bit. Everything pointed ir seemed to point to Biden by a long way... I saw Biden on TV in the kast 24vhrs b4 the ciunt and to.me he really looked an old man.
  • Options
    Well guys, time to reflect on how out of touch with the US political map you really are. Unbelievably smug, one-sided and (just like the US left) condescendingly aloft in your virtuous anti-Trumpism.
    The liberal elite(just like here) are so sure of themselves that any opposing view is dismissed as irrelevant, or denied a platform. The media is turning into a one-sided propaganda driven mouthpiece for the Dems and the wealthy elites are trying to corrupt democracy at every turn.
    Trump is a bigoted, narcissistic liar and Biden is a withering babbling fool (sound familiar?)- but beyond the character assassinations there is a deeper prejudice which transcends the familiar tropes.
    If the US was to turn blue their ambition will have been realised and the US and the West would not be the better for it.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I think the Supreme Court is only likely to intervene in PA.

And it's entirely possible Biden wins without PA.

The shock for me is that Wisconsin and Michigan are so competitive, edging towards Trump. They were really supposed not to be close.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Not counting votes is not an acceptable position in a democracy.
  • Options
    sirclive said:

Well guys, time to reflect on how out of touch with the US political map you really are. Unbelievably smug, one-sided and (just like the US left) condescendingly aloft in your virtuous anti-Trumpism.
    The liberal elite(just like here) are so sure of themselves that any opposing view is dismissed as irrelevant, or denied a platform. The media is turning into a one-sided propaganda driven mouthpiece for the Dems and the wealthy elites are trying to corrupt democracy at every turn.
    Trump is a bigoted, narcissistic liar and Biden is a withering babbling fool (sound familiar?)- but beyond the character assassinations there is a deeper prejudice which transcends the familiar tropes.
    If the US was to turn blue their ambition will have been realised and the US and the West would not be the better for it.

Oh give it a rest.
This discussion has been closed.