Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As Biden’s price goes past 4 on Betfair this maybe a long week – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    is anywhere still counting right now?
  • Options

Ready for the egg to hit my face, but right now I see Biden taking MN, WI and MI. Trump gets NC, GA, IA.

Puts Biden over 270 even without PA (genuine tossup).

Persuade me otherwise?

Trump looks to be outperforming in some counties in Ohio and Pennsylvania that would be correlated with WI and MI, so it might be tough for Biden to win both of them.
    Do we have a rough vote share estimate for Ohio overall?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Thanks for the explanations.

I thought Biden had blown it without winning PA. And maybe that will be the still be the case. But he’s back to roughly Evens in PA and could win even without PA.

Biden 2.14-2.16 to be President. It’s the Hope that kills you.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    I think the Republicans must hold the Senate, on these numbers.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

MikeL said:

Biden now 2.32.

AZ is big - because Biden now only needs two of PA/MI/WI - unless he just got MI/WI and neither Congressional district.

However it looks like Biden is in trouble in Nevada, meaning he does need all 3 in Midwest, where Pen isn’t looking so good either?

I concede this isn’t 350 ev to Biden. ☹️ This is no landslide.

Is it my fault, or A rated pollsters who didn’t just show leads, but consistently, poll after poll?

Not just some surprisingly big PV polls, but state polls, senate race polls that back up the other polls.

Now if Stalin was in charge of this polling industry, what do you think will happen?
    I’ll add one other thing. Both teams knew, even though the rest of us didn’t, they all camped out in the Midwest for the last days of the campaign.
    I don't think we have enough data to judge the polls yet. FL seems to have been pretty bad but it's a weird state, GA and NC seems like a pretty small miss, TX and AZ look like they were pretty good, and we know almost nothing about the midwest or the popular vote.

It wasn't a secret that the midwest was the easiest path and FL/NC/GA/TX were insurance/dessert. (Although that may turn out out not to be true, we don't know much about the midwest yet...)
    No dessert in the desert today. Chilli off the menu just chills in the Biden household. The results are in from Ohio where Biden has underperformed like he has all over the map.

You can’t defend the respectable pollsters in Florida, when out of 30 polls in last three months Trump only led in 1 of them.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Ready for the egg to hit my face, but right now I see Biden taking MN, WI and MI. Trump gets NC, GA, IA.

Persuade me otherwise?

Trump looks to be outperforming in some counties in Ohio and Pennsylvania that would be correlated with WI and MI, so it might be tough for Biden to win both of them.
    Not really. Trump leads 8% now, same as 2016, but apparently some absentee ballots are to be counted and some urban vote yet to come in.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,002
    Sean_F said:

They've won one seat and lost one so far.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    BBC reporting that they've stopped counting in Georgia, will come back in the morning to continue.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Quincel said:

Persuade me otherwise?

Not really. Trump leads 8% now, same as 2016, but apparently some absentee ballots are to be counted and some urban vote yet to come in.
    Yes. In an omen for what may come in the Midwest, Trump appears to have done better this time in Ohio than last time. According to sky news.
  • Options
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Fox starting to doubt their call on Arizona.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    On the NYTimes site you can see that of the 2.42m AZ votes counted, 2.39m are absentee ballots. Basically no on the day votes counted.
  • Options

Yeah, virtually no on the day ballots counted yet.
  • Options
    The needle for GA has swung to Biden, now tilting Biden 62%.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    Andy_JS said:

Sean_F said:

They've won one seat and lost one so far.
    I make it 2 Dem pickups (AZ + CO) and 1 R pickup (Alabama)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    RobD said:

👀
  • Options

Fox presented very doubting, Fox Decision Desk people say they are still very confident. Who knows, tbh. The Decision Desk people at Fox have a great track record, but they aren't infallible.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Biden winning Georgia would be close to game over.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Huge if Biden actually wins GA
  • Options
    RobD said:

Biden is 300,000 votes behind, and there are perhaps 1,100,000 to count. That means he'd have to win them (roughly) 700,000 vs 400,000.

Possible.

But ONLY if there's lots of Atlanta to count.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Biden is 300,000 votes behind, and there are perhaps 1,100,000 to count. That means he'd have to win them (roughly) 700,000 vs 400,000.

Possible.

Separately, Warnock will be overjoyed to be facing Loeffler in January's runoff.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Yes, unless there is a regional swing we haven't seen yet in Midwest white voters. Even Georgia being within 1% either way would, all else being equal, suggests Biden is favourite in the Midwest.
  • Options
    If anything the Midwest is swinging to Trump not away from him. The democratic campaign shouldn’t be bewildered at this historic loss today, it was the economy. They didn’t fight hard enough on the economy. Lulled into a false sense of coasting by the polls, they didn’t meet a fierce campaigner toe to toe on who is best for the economy, jobs, growth.
  • Options
    The one good thing about being a pessimist is that you can never be disappointed. Having never expected Trump to lose I don’t have that terrible sinking feeling many others must be experiencing now. But a bigger Biden popular vote win than Clinton got, but Trump staying in the White House is going to put the US in an even darker place, while empowering the populist right elsewhere in the world, including the UK.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

The one good thing about being a pessimist is that you can never be disappointed. Having never expected Trump to lose I don’t have that terrible sinking feeling many others must be experiencing now. But a bigger Biden popular vote win than Clinton got, but Trump staying in the White House is going to put the US in an even darker place, while empowering the populist right elsewhere in the world, including the UK.

Still, Trump will get more than the 35% Blair got in 2005.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Possible.

So...

There are approx 500,000 votes from Fulton and DeKalb to come in. They should be overwhelmingly for Biden.

BUT.

Biden is a long way behind. I suspect he falls just short.
  • Options
    I don't think CNN have mentioned the fact that all of the AZ votes are absentee ballots.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Georgia needle has gone slightly back towards Trump

EDIT: oops and now its gone the other way. Swinging hugely.
  • Options

You are right, that is the darkest truth of all, how this shows others how to win by ripping up the conservative play fair rule book, and standing on populist, nationalist, blood and soil platform.
  • Options
    Fox uncalls Arizona.
  • Options
    Biden projected to win Minnesota by the LA Times.
  • Options

Fox uncalls Arizona.

Oops
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Quincel said:

Artist said:

Yes, unless there is a regional swing we haven't seen yet in Midwest white voters. Even Georgia being within 1% either way would, all else being equal, suggests Biden is favourite in the Midwest.
    I am trying to work out where the polling went wrong - was it shy Trump voters, or the Democrats losing a chunk of the Hispanic vote they'd assumed was theirs...... Really fascinating and no doubt discussions aplenty.
  • Options
    So Georgia maybe still in play. 1.4-1.52 Trump. And Arizona not yet sure for Biden. 1.19-1.24.

• Options
    RobD said:

Fox uncalls Arizona.

Oops
    Still likely. Just not certain.
  • Options
    CNN have just added GA to their "nail biter" list.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    Joe and Jill Biden are expected to soon address the country from their home state of Delaware, as the presidential race remains too close to call.

The Democratic nominee is expected to urge patience with the tabulation of votes while expressing confidence about his results in Arizona and the Midwest.
  • Options
    I had a nap. We back on!
  • Options
    Biden 10% up in NE-2 with 83% reported.
  • Options
    According to some reports the only demographic group where Trump's support declined was white men. His support went up with black men, black women, white women and Hispanics. Not sure which exit poll it was.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Joe and Jill Biden are expected to soon address the country from their home state of Delaware, as the presidential race remains too close to call.

The Democratic nominee is expected to urge patience with the tabulation of votes while expressing confidence about his results in Arizona and the Midwest.

Why? I cannot see how saying anything helps. Maybe Biden should announce he is stepping down in favour of Kamala Harris, if only because that is the only thing he can say that would justify saying anything at all.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Is there still the software error in the GA numbers?

If so, the gap is closer than it looks.
  • Options
    So 20 years after the hanging chads fiasco the networks are still making fools of themselves with inaccurate and premature calls.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    A couple of weeks ago I suggested Trump has one chance in six. At the moment, it’s looking more like one in three.

One anecdote I should perhaps have paid more attention to is that the friend of a friend was alarmed at how many voters in Chapel Hill, North Carolina (seat of the UNC) were breaking for Trump. As I never thought NC was more than a medium shot for Biden, although more realistic than in 2016, I didn’t think it was that important.

But I am wondering if Biden’s Union links may have done him more damage among private sector workers than we realised.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

So 20 years after the hanging chads fiasco the networks are still making fools of themselves with inaccurate and premature calls.

Yes but despite that, at the next general election here you will have PBers, perhaps including me, praising Sky for calling constituencies far earlier than the staid old BBC which waits for the returning officer to sing.
  • Options
    MI count so far is 20% early vote.

Whole state is 55% early vote.

Scope for massive move to Biden.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Quincel said:

Artist said:

I am trying to work out where the polling went wrong - was it shy Trump voters, or the Democrats losing a chunk of the Hispanic vote they'd assumed was theirs...... Really fascinating and no doubt discussions aplenty.
    I think in Florida it looks like under sampled early Trump voters.

I think this will be the case across the country
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Yes but despite that, at the next general election here you will have PBers, perhaps including me, praising Sky for calling constituencies far earlier than the staid old BBC which waits for the returning officer to sing.
    And getting them wrong. In 2010 ITV twice called Gedling for the Tories.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Biden is favourite for MI and favourite for WI.

If he wins those two, AZ sticks and NE2 sticks then he's there.

Trump is favourite for PA.
  • Options
    This is unbelievably similar to my Nightmare Scenario spreadsheet, where Biden wins the popular vote by loads but Trump wins exactly as 2016
  • Options
    Should have went with Big Liz.
  • Options
    Just to correct some posts below. Fox have NOT retracted the Arizona call, they're actually doubling down on it.
  • Options

Fox uncalls Arizona.

I wish AZ would give us some more numbers. Just a few more percent would be REALLY helpful.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Andy_JS said:

The UK is a bit different, though, with agents and candidates actually knowing the result before it is formally declared, and alert campaigners knowing in practice well before that. The formal end-tying bits of the British electoral count can be very frustrating for all concerned.

Mobile phones destroyed count secrecy
  • Options
    MikeL said:

In the last 30 minutes or so, the reporting figure for Michigan on the Guardian has moved from 51% to 57%. In that time the votes have split almost 50:50 between the two.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,553
    edited November 2020
    ydoethur said:

A couple of weeks ago I suggested Trump has one chance in six. At the moment, it’s looking more like one in three.

One anecdote I should perhaps have paid more attention to is that the friend of a friend was alarmed at how many voters in Chapel Hill, North Carolina (seat of the UNC) were breaking for Trump. As I never thought NC was more than a medium shot for Biden, although more realistic than in 2016, I didn’t think it was that important.

But I am wondering if Biden’s Union links may have done him more damage among private sector workers than we realised.

It is hard to see how. More likely is that Covid meant that workspace union activism has not played its usual part in the election because there are no people at the workspace.
  • Options
    Now the Fox Decision Desk guy doubles down and says they're not wrong and Trump can't win. "We're 4 standard deviations away from being wrong."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fox uncalls Arizona.

I wish AZ would give us some more numbers. Just a few more percent would be REALLY helpful.
    So far they've only given us absentee ballots. Next to zero on the day votes counted.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The system continuing to maintain the paralysis for which it appears designed?
  • Options
    Glad to have cashed out on Trump and taken small winnings. This is going to be a long ride. I sense he might win in Michigan and Pennsylvania but could lose a state elsewhere.
  • Options
    Biden called in Minnesota.

If AZ comes in, and possibly GA, and he loses everything else we.. uhh.. hit the 269 scenario on my counting.
    MikeL said:

Biden is favourite for MI and favourite for WI.

If he wins those two, AZ sticks and NE2 sticks then he's there.

Trump is favourite for PA.

I suspect this is going to be a nail biter but Biden will -just- do it.

What I don’t see happening is the Senate flipping, which will royally screw the Democrats for the next 2 years at least.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It is hard to see how. More likely is that Covid meant that workspace union activism has not played its usual part in the election because there are no people at the workspace.
    It was mentioned as a possible reason for Trump pickup of Nevada. Lack f Union orginisation of poor Hispanics.
  • Options
    CNN are really starting to annoy me now.
    "Key race alerts" for states where not a single vote has been added to the totals since the previous "key race alert".
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Fox now uncalls its AZ uncall. In spite of pressure from WH, now calling Biden in AZ again
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MikeL said:

In the last 30 minutes or so, the reporting figure for Michigan on the Guardian has moved from 51% to 57%. In that time the votes have split almost 50:50 between the two.
    Almost the same 50:50 split in WI between 72% reporting and 80% reporting.
  • Options

CNN are really starting to annoy me now.
    "Key race alerts" for states where not a single vote has been added to the totals since the previous "key race alert".

Ten times in Arizona...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Quincel said:

Artist said:

I think in Florida it looks like under sampled early Trump voters.

I think this will be the case across the country
    If it is "Shy Trump" then exit polls should be similarly wrong. If exit polls are right then it looks more like a sampling error than shy Trump voters. Surveymonkey say they do not use weighted quota samples but rely on large numbers, so their results will also be interesting.
  • Options
  • Options
    Biden taking the stage now...
  • Options
    Flanner said:

Fox now uncalls its AZ uncall. In spite of pressure from WH, now calling Biden in AZ again

“100% sure”, the guy says
  • Options
    The sign language woman isn’t up to much
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Channelling his inner Howard Dean.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

The system continuing to maintain the paralysis for which it appears designed?
    The Republicans look like they've lost AZ and CO and picked up AL.

Which makes it 52-48.

I think the Republicans definitely held Iowa. The Dems will be utterly overjoyed that the Georgia runoff is against Loeffler, and I suspect Tills holds on in NC.
  • Options
    Mrs Biden is safely in the Biden camp.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

He doesn't sound like he believes it. The Democrats just feel they need to be on the front foot if this ends up in the courts.
  • Options
    David Wasserman's belief in congressional district polling is probably in tatters tonight.
  • Options
    Short and sweet from Biden. Says he's sure he's going to win, but it's going to take time to count all the votes and everyone needs to be patient.
  • Options

Mrs Biden is safely in the Biden camp.

She didn’t get the lecture anyone who’s been on a party platform gets about only pretending to clap
  • Options
    Georgia is now 2.5-3.0 Dems. Arizona 1.15-1.34. Michigan 1.7-1.9. Wisconsin 1.65 ish. PA 2.6-2.7.

I hope AZ, MI, and WI (all favourites) land for Biden - like all Trump’s favourites seem to have landed. Then a congressional vote, or better still, PA gets him over the line.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    Poles? Is he talking Law and Justice here?
  • Options
    Hope this doesn't end up in the courts.
  • Options
    Well this was the worst case scenario. Ffs.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

He doesn't sound like he believes it. The Democrats just feel they need to be on the front foot if this ends up in the courts.
    How ironic if the election was actually decided last week
  • Options
    If Biden wins AZ does he become favourite?
  • Options

Indeed. America so badly needed a clean win.
  • Options
    This is insanely close.

I think Biden has picked up AZ and WI. MN looks like an easy hold.

Trump has held TX. And almost certainly NC too.

I don't know how NV will vote.

GA is probably a GOP hold.

PA currently looks poor for the Dems.

Which means - pretty much - like the winner of MI wins the election.

Trump has a nine point lead with half the votes counted. But on the day has been counted first, and VA has shown how misleading this can be,
  • Options
    stjohn said:

I don’t think I would go that far on its own. It’s Michigan and Wisconsin going, if they do, that would make him clear favourite and make it difficult to see how Trump could win.

However, it appears to be close there and in Montana, which was noted as a possible outlier a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    The GA needle on NYT is now up to 67% Democrat gain.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018

No, worst case was Trump winning, and he hasn’t.
  • Options
    Fox: “Arizona has become the Alamo for Trump...”
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    rcs1000 said:

Is there any data on NE-02?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fulton and DeKalb are the majority of votes left to count in Georgia.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

stjohn said:

I don’t think I would go that far on its own. It’s Michigan and Wisconsin going, if they do, that would make him clear favourite and make it difficult to see how Trump could win.

However, it appears to be close there and in Montana, which was noted as a possible outlier a few weeks ago.
    Montana already called for Trumpy
  • Options
    He deserves our Gdańsk for screen shotting that.
This discussion has been closed.