Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As Biden’s price goes past 4 on Betfair this maybe a long week – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited November 2020 in General
As Biden’s price goes past 4 on Betfair this maybe a long week – politicalbetting.com

Electoral Map as of 03:00AM GMT:Trump (R): 138 (=)Biden (D): 131 (=)Changes w/ 2016. pic.twitter.com/YgEa7ku3WW

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    First?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    ABC are WAY WAY sharper on the early vote issue.

CNN just reporting 'impressive' leads in places which might mean absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    The stock markets will probably be edgy. They would love a clear Trump win but as TSE says I think we're heading for a long week.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

As for understanding ‘minority voters’, people of colour are not a collective hive mind to understand.

True, though it's easy for generally true trends to get over exaggerated.
    Andy_JS said:

I hope Biden doesn't get the blame for this because he's a nice guy. The problem in my opinion has been the people smashing up Portland and Seattle.

Of course he will. If he was a radical figure the moderates would say he was too radical, and the more progressive element will say he was not bold enough, didn't paint a big enough vision. The John Oliver types have been pretty clear they didn't think he was a great candidate or getting out the vote enough already.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    RobD said:

First?

Like Biden or Trump?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/centrist_phone/status/1323824012238163969

This guy is really embarrassing. He got 2019 here completely wrong when he tried to re-weight the polls and he's been arrogantly stating a Biden win for weeks.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    People are acting like Biden has lost.
  • Options

RobD said:

First?

Like Biden or Trump?
    If you check the times, me and @Mysticrose had a 269-269 tie.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

This guy is really embarrassing. He got 2019 here completely wrong when he tried to re-weight the polls and he's been arrogantly stating a Biden win for weeks.

He is broadly correct that Biden is outperforming in Ohio. I don't think many people thought it a likely Biden gain.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Seems amazing FL hasn't been called by anyone.

If they're not calling FL now, they won't be calling rust belt until just about every vote has been counted.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Was expecting a landslide, I don't see no landslide
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Well it is turning out to be more of a struggle than most thought, myself included, so it's easy for that to flip into an oh crap moment. Still some big areas in Ohio with plenty of votes to count, though I guess he doesn't need that one.
  • Options

No I don't think he's lost yet - although I have a bad feeling - but I think it's not going to be a blowout as many here insisted and I hope those who did say that will hold their hands up if they do end up being wrong.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ohio Trump lead up to 2.9%.

But absentee ballots in Franklin, the largest and most Democratic county, have yet to be counted.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Signs of hope for Biden in AZ. He leads by 10 points in Maricopa with 77% reporting. Presumably all early vote but seems unlikely Trump will match his 2016 performance of winning by 3
  • Options

CHB could you maybe dial down the faux-anger slightly? It's not so very long ago that you miscalled a big Labour win.

Can we just hold for a while to see how this goes. It's not going to be a landslide, but Biden could still be President. Not wishful thinking just real odds.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Superbly entertaining
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Cornyn wins TX Senate according to NYT
  • Options
    Arizona 70% reported, Biden up 55 to 44
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ohio Trump lead up to 2.9%.

But absentee ballots in Franklin, the largest and most Democratic county, have yet to be counted.

Will these all be counted tonight? No Philly BS?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Arizona looks like a Biden win

(Source with in-depth data analysis by ABC)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,609
    The Democrats learnt nothing over 4 years.
  • Options
    Biden already has more votes than Clinton in Arizona.
  • Options

CHB could you maybe dial down the faux-anger slightly? It's not so very long ago that you miscalled a big Labour win.

Can we just hold for a while to see how this goes. It's not going to be a landslide, but Biden could still be President. Not wishful thinking just real odds.
    I'm just saying, people were here saying 350+ for Biden, I saw 400 in places. I specifically didn't make a prediction because I was unsure.

And I know for a fact if people get it wrong, they won't admit it, because they're hypocrites. And it pisses me off.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    kle4 said:

As for understanding ‘minority voters’, people of colour are not a collective hive mind to understand.

Andy_JS said:

I hope Biden doesn't get the blame for this because he's a nice guy. The problem in my opinion has been the people smashing up Portland and Seattle.

Of course he will. If he was a radical figure the moderates would say he was too radical, and the more progressive element will say he was not bold enough, didn't paint a big enough vision. The John Oliver types have been pretty clear they didn't think he was a great candidate or getting out the vote enough already.
    I don't think having a limey slag off Trump every week helps the Democrats.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Arizona 69% in Biden 55% Trump 44%
  • Options

The mood music doesn’t feel so great. I’ve got to stop becoming invested in American elections tbh.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Alistair said:

A landslide is 350. You do the Math tell when it’s off table 🙂
  • Options

Something.
  • Options
    Mark Kelly has 1.25m votes already, and looks to walk the Arizona Senate race.
  • Options

• Options
    Everyone knows I want Biden to win - but you can't blame me for being pretty sceptical about those who were insisting this was going to be a blowout.
  • Options

It's not an election night without overreacting to stuff. I feel like if I don't overreact I'm not getting into the spirit of it (plus I often don't get to do so over here, since I'm usually working at the count).
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    This is absolutely superb entertainment but I have to go to sleep now.

NC just flipped red, and it's trending redder.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Now 72%, 54.1 vs 44.6
  • Options
    Anyway, fingers crossed for Biden and I will shut up about it now
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's not an election night without overreacting to stuff. I feel like if I don't overreact I'm not getting into the spirit of it (plus I often don't get to do so over here, since I'm usually working at the count).
    :smiley:
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Oof. It seems that all that's left to decide is whether Biden is going to be Theresa May or Hillary Clinton. All the obituaries for right-wing populism may have been premature.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I doubt it hurts much either, it's just self indulgent to do it as much as he does, but the point was he hasn't disguised that he is not the biggest fan of Biden as a candidate, and so like many Democrats will probably blame him if he falls short.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    gealbhan said:

Alistair said:

A landslide is 350. You do the Math tell when it’s off table 🙂
    Yep that's not going to happen. I thought it might, but I still wasn't happy to buy at 311.

I still think Biden's going to do this. Probably. Maybe.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    AZ looks good for Biden.
  • Options

Oof. It seems that all that's left to decide is whether Biden is going to be Theresa May or Hillary Clinton. All the obituaries for right-wing populism may have been premature.

Yup could be, I'll be happy to say my view was premature although I only hoped Biden would win, never made a prediction.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    RobD said:

RobD said:

First?

Like Biden or Trump?
    If you check the times, me and @Mysticrose had a 269-269 tie.
    HYUFD was predicting that as well.
  • Options
    Arizona 73% reported, Biden +9 points
  • Options
    Iowa 12% in Biden 64% Trump 34%
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 72%, 54.1 vs 44.6
    Looks likely to save Biden's bacon. Trump undone by his feud with McCain?

• Options

This is going to be the worst possible result, as in a very narrow victory.

I used to think this, but have come to the conclusion close results are probably better overall. Though - I suspect like you - I'm not looking forward to the consequences in this case either on the streets or potentially in the courts.

I just feel in an election there ought to be something at stake, people's votes ought to be meaningful, and moreover a narrow win generally means both sides have tacked reasonably well to the contours of the electorate.

For a constitutional referendum I'd rather see a big win that suggests a clear consensus about the way forward. But I don't think many politicians deserve a big win. (Though I'm sure many may feel their opponent deserves a big loss...)
    FPT - am I in a minority of one with this? Surely there are at least a few people hoping it'll be close purely for the entertainment value...
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    edited November 2020
    Trump looks to have taken NC, its tight but I think he has more in the counties left to count.

That is a worry for the Dems.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Are these early votes first?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    rcs1000 said:

I think Biden gets this one.
  • Options
    I could see 270 to Biden and 269 to Trump, provided Biden still grabs Wisconsin and Michigan whilst losing Ohio and Penn.

But, I think if he loses Penn he loses all of them and Trump wins 293 to 244.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 72%, 54.1 vs 44.6
    Looks likely to save Biden's bacon.

Don't forget SCOTUS...
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I'm not 'man enough' to do it, but while things are going badly for Biden I don't think they are going as badly for him as the punters do. It looks like he'll lose Florida by more than Clinton did in 2016, but lose NC/GA by less than she did. He's doing better among whites but worse among non-whites. Given Trump only won MI/WI/PA that is a recipe for a close election, not one where Biden is a big underdog.
  • Options
    Pennsylvania 26% in Trump 52% Biden 47%
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Are these early votes first?
    I believe so since they were reported so quickly.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    dodrade said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

John Oliver is as American as I am.

(He naturalized in January.)
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Probably the worst news of the night for me. If Trump wins PA doesnt matter what Biden does in AZ. Well at least i can console myself with the thought I did say it would come down to PA.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pennsylvania 26% in Trump 52% Biden 47%

Counting on the day first of course. Famously so.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Democrats learnt nothing over 4 years.

They have learnt nothing and forgotten nothing.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    IF Biden wins AZ he only needs MI, WI and a Congressional district. He could lose PA.
  • Options
    Michigan not looking good?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

I'm not 'man enough' to do it, but while things are going badly for Biden I don't think they are going as badly for him as the punters do. It looks like he'll lose Florida by more than Clinton did in 2016, but lose NC/GA by less than she did. He's doing better among whites but worse among non-whites. Given Trump only won MI/WI/PA that is a recipe for a close election, not one where Biden is a big underdog.

Indeed. I've bought in the 260's
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    It's a very crude comparison but at this stage of counting, Trump's lead in the popular vote is similar to what we saw in 2016.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Secret message to mods - since I did not make an official prediction, please could you go back to an old thread and insert a post from me with a prediction which is close to what looks like happening now, so I can look like a badass predictor? Thanks in advance

Lol!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 72%, 54.1 vs 44.6
    At least someone is sicking to script. I'm looking at you, Florida *wags finger*
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Secret message to mods - since I did not make an official prediction, please could you go back to an old thread and insert a post from me with a prediction which is close to what looks like happening now, so I can look like a badass predictor? Thanks in advance

:smiley:

I have to fess up that whoever said I posted 269-269 is being extremely generous to me :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • Options
    rpjs said:

dodrade said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

John Oliver is as American as I am.

(He naturalized in January.)
    Somehow I don't think Trump supporters would see him like that.

• Options
    Can we have updated predictions if anyone is willing to share?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Just do what I’m going to do and claim you made a prediction on a thread at some stage in September and have stuck with it throughout. Too many threads to check and I get to call myself tipster of the year.
  • Options

Michigan not looking good?

Not counting mail votes yet?
  • Options

I could see 270 to Biden and 269 to Trump, provided Biden still grabs Wisconsin and Michigan whilst losing Ohio and Penn.

But, I think if he loses Penn he loses all of them and Trump wins 293 to 244.

Looks a good call to me. If it's on a knife edge then this is going to be mayhem.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

I think Biden gets this one.
    Trump has to win "on the day" by 30 points.

Can he do it?

Yes? Is it likely?

Probably not. Biden is 65% likely to take AZ based on these numbers.

More of a worry for Trump is Ohio.

While Trump's lead has widened to five points, almost nothing that remains is good for him.
  • Options

President Joe. Well over 300 still possible
  • Options

I think Biden scrapes home, but doesn't win Ohio.
  • Options
    Louisiana projected for Trump
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    So if Trump did win PA but lost AZ , that would be 269 tied? So with ME2 Biden could still win? Its 3am so my brain is low on battery so apologies if my maths is wrong
  • Options
    ABC think Georgia is far from over.

Really?
  • Options
    Biden leads inches up to 9.2% in AZ (from 9.0%)
  • Options
    CNN are terrified.
  • Options
    FPT

Amazing how the radio stations are imagining it is still all to play for. We bettors on PB.com have known full well for 40 minutes or more that it's all over since a ten-second glance at the Betfair markets really tell you all you need to know.
    How did it happen? Firstly shy Trump supporters who I've been rabbiting on for weeks now and who the media have chosen to totally ignore. Secondly incredible determination and bloody hard work exhibited by the President throughout the election campaign, in sharp contrast to the meagre effort put in by his opponent.
  • Options

What? And be barracked for not apologizing when they prove mistaken? Not bloody likely.
  • Options

ABC think Georgia is far from over.

Really?

Atlanta?
  • Options

I wouldn't say snake eyes for Trump to win from here ...
  • Options

What? And be barracked for not apologizing when they prove mistaken? Not bloody likely.
    You're learning! :)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    These are all OTD votes I believe? If so, seems encouraging for Biden to me.
  • Options
    Biden lead back down to 9.0% in Arizona, 74% now counted.
  • Options
    I wonder what Trump could have done to piss off the electorate in John McCain’s old stomping ground?
  • Options
    CNN pundits look like trouble is brewing
  • Options

kle4 said:

Just do what I’m going to do and claim you made a prediction on a thread at some stage in September and have stuck with it throughout. Too many threads to check and I get to call myself tipster of the year.
    Why do you think I've spammed 57 thousands posts? For fun? Are you mad? It's Trumpesque throwing everything at the wall so no one can figure me out.
  • Options
    Dems are very confident on Pa. and the Republicans are not.

Remember that they are counting on the day votes first.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    Popular vote so far:

Biden: 35,047,789 votes (47.7%)
    Trump: 37,216,578 votes (50.7%)
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Pennslyvania was flagged up as likely to have a blue-shift as it counts most early votes later. Same with WI/MI. Opposite of Florida/NC.
  • Options

CNN are terrified.

Didn’t they run stories about the red mirage?
  • Options

FPT

Amazing how the radio stations are imagining it is still all to play for. We bettors on PB.com have known full well for 40 minutes or more that it's all over since a ten-second glance at the Betfair markets really tell you all you need to know.
    How did it happen? Firstly shy Trump supporters who I've been rabbiting on for weeks now and who the media have chosen to totally ignore. Secondly incredible determination and bloody hard work exhibited by the President throughout the election campaign, in sharp contrast to the meagre effort put in by his opponent.

The surprise has been that the shy Trump supporters have turned out to be Hispanics, not white working class voters.
This discussion has been closed.