Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Working out Covid-19 and the political classes – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sometimes it's good to keep it simple - :smile:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1317758865543483394

The kinder and gentler left in action.

Scumbags.
    He's your hero, isn't he? That's why you're upset and offended.
    I don't particularly like him, I just find the hysteria and ludicrous insults of anyone the left disapproves of tiresome.

How exactly is he fascist? It's just endless pointless insults doled out by half-wits.
    Oh come on. You LOVE the guy.

Why, just yesterday you, Donald J Alexander, were calling for a complete and total shutdown of Muslims entering our country until we can figure out what the hell is going on.
    Well that's not quite what I said, but yes I am worried about teachers being beheaded in the streets in broad daylight. Crazy I know.
    We are all worried about that.

Calling for a complete and total shutdown of an entire religious group of billions of people from being able to enter the country is what is considered odd as a solution.

We didn't respond to the Troubles (which killed an order of magnitude more people in this country) by a complete and total shutdown of Catholics from entering the country.
    I didn't call for a shutdown of them entering the country, I called for a temporary halt on immigration from there.

If this "odd" solution had been in place in time then we wouldn't be talking about this dead teacher and many other terrorist attacks.

The Troubles never involved beheading people in the streets or purposely blowing up children at pop concerts. It was Irish nationalists not "Catholics" that carried out these attacks anyway. There were no British or Catholics from any other country involved.
    The Troubles didn't involve blowing up children? What kind of fucking ignoramus are you? 😡

When I was ten years old my town was bombed the weekend before Mother's Day. A three year old and a twelve year old boy on our high street were brutally murdered in a bomb blast.

So kindly go pick up a book and educate yourself before making bloody stupid remarks.

Oh and the IRA got support and weaponry from around the world.
    I see you ignored the words "purposely blowing up children".

The IRA were scumbags and I'd have happily halted immigration from Ireland at the time had it been up to me, but they didn't purposely target children, so don't give me that shite.
    Blowing up Tim Parry and Johnathan Ball was not on purpose?

Setting off bombs outside shops on Bridge Street the weekend before Mother's Day couldn't possibly been foreseen to have led to children dying now could it?

And they are just two names of the 186 children who were brutally killed during the Troubles. And you dare accuse others of talking shite?

Go fuck yourself with some explosives. And I'm sorry to anyone else offended and if that results in me being banned but I do not find children being murdered in my town and 184 other children murdered during the Troubles to be "shite".
    They sent a warning, they were just incompetent morons. The fact that it is the weekend before Mother's Day is irrelevant, I don't know why you keep mentioning it.

If you have any actual evidence of the IRA purposely targeting children then post it, otherwise spare me the tedious mock outrage.
    Your analysis seems very like two wrongs making a right, sort of an argument.

Sectarian terrorism is terrorism whether or not warnings were given.

Both Islamic terrorism and Irish sectarian terrorism are wicked. The clue is in the title"terrorism"! It does not mean Muslim people or Irish Nationalist or Loyalist people are wicked. It's the descriptor, terrorism that makes the difference!
    Well I totally agree, I hated the IRA and as I said I would have halted immigration from Ireland at the time. I have no idea how that marks me out as a hypocrite.

I just don't think they targeted children on purpose, but that is the most outrageous thing ever apparently.
    To be blunt, both sets of terrorists didn't give a **** about killing children. The very act of laying an AID to kill random people, means there must be a fair old chance that some of those random people killed might be children. Anyway this is a smokescreen for your original assertion that an entire religious group can be condemned for the actions of the few. You are wrong!
    Actually I want the opposite. I want to ensure the problems are sorted out, so an entire religious group that is already living here doesn't get blamed.

It's those that want to see them demonised as a group that want the situation to continue as it is.
    I can only apologise,

I had understood that you were condemning all Muslims for the actions of a handful of evil morons. I am relieved that I had misunderstood you point.

I blame it on my early onset dementia.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scumbags.
    I don't particularly like him, I just find the hysteria and ludicrous insults of anyone the left disapproves of tiresome.

How exactly is he fascist? It's just endless pointless insults doled out by half-wits.

Why, just yesterday you, Donald J Alexander, were calling for a complete and total shutdown of Muslims entering our country until we can figure out what the hell is going on.
    Well that's not quite what I said, but yes I am worried about teachers being beheaded in the streets in broad daylight. Crazy I know.

Calling for a complete and total shutdown of an entire religious group of billions of people from being able to enter the country is what is considered odd as a solution.

We didn't respond to the Troubles (which killed an order of magnitude more people in this country) by a complete and total shutdown of Catholics from entering the country.
    I didn't call for a shutdown of them entering the country, I called for a temporary halt on immigration from there.

If this "odd" solution had been in place in time then we wouldn't be talking about this dead teacher and many other terrorist attacks.

The Troubles never involved beheading people in the streets or purposely blowing up children at pop concerts. It was Irish nationalists not "Catholics" that carried out these attacks anyway. There were no British or Catholics from any other country involved.
    The Troubles didn't involve blowing up children? What kind of fucking ignoramus are you? 😡

When I was ten years old my town was bombed the weekend before Mother's Day. A three year old and a twelve year old boy on our high street were brutally murdered in a bomb blast.

So kindly go pick up a book and educate yourself before making bloody stupid remarks.

The IRA were scumbags and I'd have happily halted immigration from Ireland at the time had it been up to me, but they didn't purposely target children, so don't give me that shite.

Setting off bombs outside shops on Bridge Street the weekend before Mother's Day couldn't possibly been foreseen to have led to children dying now could it?

And they are just two names of the 186 children who were brutally killed during the Troubles. And you dare accuse others of talking shite?

Go fuck yourself with some explosives. And I'm sorry to anyone else offended and if that results in me being banned but I do not find children being murdered in my town and 184 other children murdered during the Troubles to be "shite".
    They sent a warning, they were just incompetent morons. The fact that it is the weekend before Mother's Day is irrelevant, I don't know why you keep mentioning it.

If you have any actual evidence of the IRA purposely targeting children then post it, otherwise spare me the tedious mock outrage.

Both Islamic terrorism and Irish sectarian terrorism are wicked. The clue is in the title"terrorism"! It does not mean Muslim people or Irish Nationalist or Loyalist people are wicked. It's the descriptor, terrorism that makes the difference!
    Well I totally agree, I hated the IRA and as I said I would have halted immigration from Ireland at the time. I have no idea how that marks me out as a hypocrite.

I just don't think they targeted children on purpose, but that is the most outrageous thing ever apparently.
    To be blunt, both sets of terrorists didn't give a **** about killing children. The very act of laying an AID to kill random people, means there must be a fair old chance that some of those random people killed might be children. Anyway this is a smokescreen for your original assertion that an entire religious group can be condemned for the actions of the few. You are wrong!
    Actually I want the opposite. I want to ensure the problems are sorted out, so an entire religious group that is already living here doesn't get blamed.

It's those that want to see them demonised as a group that want the situation to continue as it is.
    I can only apologise,

I had understood that you were condemning all Muslims for the actions of a handful of evil morons. I am relieved that I had misunderstood you point.

Well if things carry on as they are now, what do you think will happen?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

Carnyx said:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

"There will be a short delay in publishing today’s figures. We will update shortly.
    We were notified late last week of a testing capacity issue with the UK Government Lighthouse facility in Glasgow.

This has meant around 64,000 tests from across the UK, including Scotland, will be rerouted this weekend (Fri-Sun) to other testing sites in the UK and Northern Ireland, including tests from our physical testing sites, for example Regional Tests sites. It is important to note that the majority of these tests are still well within the 24 and 48 hour timeframe for results albeit we do expect to see an increase in the level of positives on Monday and Tuesday when the results are reported.

The Scottish Government is urgently trying to establish with the UK Government what exactly is causing the delay in testing but this is mainly due to demand from out with Scotland.

We continue to reroute routine testing of care home staff through NHS Scotland testing facilities to ensure prompt turnaround times."

The Scottish government's priority is clearly how to leverage Coronavirus to win Independence, rather than to cooperate to control the virus across Britain.

Bunch of rogues and charlatans.

Someone gives a clear and prompt explanation of a practical issue and a practical solution and a further practical problem (which is very well known - UKG frailure to communicate with the devolved institutions) and that is your reaction?
    It's the Andy Murray treatment in reverse. Whenever anything is a problem, or goes wrong, is linked to the UK identity, whenever anything goes right the Scottishness is emphasised.

I bet if/when the lab is working well they will only mention that it's in Scotland.

It's a dishonest use of language for political ends. A focus on division is not helpful now.
    Away you halfwitted dullard, you clowns are forever boasting about the UK , yet when it is absolute crap you immediately start whining about Scotland. We are paying through the nose for UK Labs that are rank rotten and failing to get test results in under 8 days and you have the temerity to say we are focusing on division. Be off you clown.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    malcolmg said:

Doubt Nipoleon will be retweeting this......

https://twitter.com/agcolehamilton/status/1317845574817861640?s=20

Why not , there is no fierce nationalism in Scotland , unlike England. You really are a blinkered Toom Tabard. How does someone hate their country of birth so much.
    Having had to buy a new car and a new washing machine this weekend, I really could have done without having to buy a new irony meter too.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1317866829923143681

Guess walking away was another lie then

Everyone wants an agreement really. We need it more than they do though
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

malcolmg said:

Why not , there is no fierce nationalism in Scotland , unlike England. You really are a blinkered Toom Tabard. How does someone hate their country of birth so much.
    None at all.

• Options
    RobD said:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1317866829923143681

Guess walking away was another lie then

How would they be able to come back with another offer otherwise?
    I am very surprised how easily the EU are expected to roll over to secure a deal, any deal. Hats off to Lord Frost if he pulls it off
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I think this perhaps beats even @Dura_Ace ’s splendid school report from a few days back.
    “I believe has has ideas about becoming a scientist; on his present showing this is quite ridiculous...”

https://twitter.com/NobelPrize/status/1317819989458550785

That is Eton for you. If ever a school was crying out for an Ofsted inspection!
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:
    Another UK shambles, being forced to use their crappy lab system is disgraceful.
    Isn't health devolved?
    Again Rob you show your blind ignorance. They are forced to use the crappy Lighthouse Labs which cost a fortune and have little staff and mean the test results take over a week. Next to F all is devolved and what little there is has been taken away with their recent UK bill to take all control on everything to westminster. Only thing devolved is some pocket money and greater part of that is proscribed on where it must be spent.

The Scottish NHS doesn't have its own labs, like PHE?
    I am no expert but from what I have read they are forced by UK to use the Lighthouse Labs for lots of the tests, no options. The NHS labs are used for staff and care homes etc.
    The Scottish government website suggests otherwise, that the Lighthouse labs are to supplement NHS Scotland capacity.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-scotlands-testing-strategy-adapting-pandemic/pages/4/
    Did you read the name Rob , UK Labs , they can hardly say anything else. If we had ability to do our own labs I bet we would get tests done in less than 8 days, it is shocking and more than likely some Tory chums will be behind it filling their pockets.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:
    Another UK shambles, being forced to use their crappy lab system is disgraceful.
    Isn't health devolved?
    Again Rob you show your blind ignorance. They are forced to use the crappy Lighthouse Labs which cost a fortune and have little staff and mean the test results take over a week. Next to F all is devolved and what little there is has been taken away with their recent UK bill to take all control on everything to westminster. Only thing devolved is some pocket money and greater part of that is proscribed on where it must be spent.

I am no expert but from what I have read they are forced by UK to use the Lighthouse Labs for lots of the tests, no options. The NHS labs are used for staff and care homes etc.
    The Scottish government website suggests otherwise, that the Lighthouse labs are to supplement NHS Scotland capacity.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-scotlands-testing-strategy-adapting-pandemic/pages/4/
    Did you read the name Rob , UK Labs , they can hardly say anything else. If we had ability to do our own labs I bet we would get tests done in less than 8 days, it is shocking and more than likely some Tory chums will be behind it filling their pockets.
    I did, and they were called NHS Scotland laboratories. Are you telling me those are run by PHE?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    17,000 new cases on a Sunday!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

"There will be a short delay in publishing today’s figures. We will update shortly.
    We were notified late last week of a testing capacity issue with the UK Government Lighthouse facility in Glasgow.

This has meant around 64,000 tests from across the UK, including Scotland, will be rerouted this weekend (Fri-Sun) to other testing sites in the UK and Northern Ireland, including tests from our physical testing sites, for example Regional Tests sites. It is important to note that the majority of these tests are still well within the 24 and 48 hour timeframe for results albeit we do expect to see an increase in the level of positives on Monday and Tuesday when the results are reported.

The Scottish Government is urgently trying to establish with the UK Government what exactly is causing the delay in testing but this is mainly due to demand from out with Scotland.

We continue to reroute routine testing of care home staff through NHS Scotland testing facilities to ensure prompt turnaround times."

The Scottish government's priority is clearly how to leverage Coronavirus to win Independence, rather than to cooperate to control the virus across Britain.

Someone gives a clear and prompt explanation of a practical issue and a practical solution and a further practical problem (which is very well known - UKG frailure to communicate with the devolved institutions) and that is your reaction?
    It's the Andy Murray treatment in reverse. Whenever anything is a problem, or goes wrong, is linked to the UK identity, whenever anything goes right the Scottishness is emphasised.

I bet if/when the lab is working well they will only mention that it's in Scotland.

It's a dishonest use of language for political ends. A focus on division is not helpful now.
    An interesting question that we could try and answer is this; if Nicola Sturgeon had wanted to follow the strategy of Jacinda Adern in Scotland, could she have done so with the powers she has ?

Does Nicola Sturgeon have the power to quarantine all arrivals by flight/ship/road to Scotland for 2 weeks, and to introduce full lockdown measures for all non-essential businesses?

I would have thought she did, but I am happy to be corrected.

Once individuals enter Scotland, can she quarantine them? This actually seems less stringent than what Drakeford is trying to, which is physically prevent some arrivals from England entering Wales. So, if Drakeford has the power to do this, I would have thought Sturgeon had the power to quarantine entrants.
    Easy answer to that one , NOT a chance. Drakeford can only ask police to stop people who have crossed the border and they can only get them if they have broken some law. He has no power over borders, it is reserved to the Home Office. Scotland cannot do anything on immigration , borders etc as has been proven many times. Home Office deport people from Scotland on a whim and the Scottish Government have no say in it apart from begging.
  • Options

The Hunter Biden bollocks just seems utterly inconsequential when the entire Trump clan and business empire have been troughing at the teat of Federal expenditure for the past four years.

The phrase mote and beam comes to mind.
    Biden corruption is inconsequential because reasons.

What has been proven against Trump exactly?
    Assuming Trump doesn't win, ask the same question this time next year, and I suspect we will have quite a lengthy list of convictions to discuss.
    I agree actually and I think it will be the same when the next few presidents leave office (provided they are still alive).

US politics is incredibly partisan now.
    Assuming Biden wins, to avert the situation you forecast, maybe Biden will pardon Trump. A pardon would not be in Biden's gift for state level charges however.
    I expect Biden will pardon Trump for that reason -- to avoid dragging the institution of the presidency through the mire. I doubt this will be reciprocated because the GOP is more hyper-partisan that the Democrats.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

None at all.

Might have guessed my stalker would on in a flash. The second one is a unionist nutter and nothing to do with Independence. You obviously did not see the same things in Manchester flyovers I presume. Jog on loser.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I think this perhaps beats even @Dura_Ace ’s splendid school report from a few days back.
    “I believe has has ideas about becoming a scientist; on his present showing this is quite ridiculous...”

A rather dim and racist Munich schoolmaster famously told a young Jewish pupil of his ‘You will never amount to much. You do not have a scientific mind.’

The sixteen year old boy was named Albert Einstein.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

The Hunter Biden bollocks just seems utterly inconsequential when the entire Trump clan and business empire have been troughing at the teat of Federal expenditure for the past four years.

The phrase mote and beam comes to mind.
    Biden corruption is inconsequential because reasons.

What has been proven against Trump exactly?
    Assuming Trump doesn't win, ask the same question this time next year, and I suspect we will have quite a lengthy list of convictions to discuss.
    I agree actually and I think it will be the same when the next few presidents leave office (provided they are still alive).

US politics is incredibly partisan now.
    Assuming Biden wins, to avert the situation you forecast, maybe Biden will pardon Trump. A pardon would not be in Biden's gift for state level charges however.
    I expect Biden will pardon Trump for that reason -- to avoid dragging the institution of the presidency through the mire. I doubt this will be reciprocated because the GOP is more hyper-partisan that the Democrats.
    Biden is enough of a fucking idiot to pardon Trump.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:
    Isn't health devolved?

I did, and they were called NHS Scotland laboratories. Are you telling me those are run by PHE?
    Lighthouse Labs are UK Labs and are run by Westminster, they are the ones taking 8 days , not the Scottish Labs. Keep trying to bend reality.
  • Options
    Betfair's Virginia market has been discombobulated.

Republican 1.09 (but lay at 14.5)
    Democrats 1.07 (lay at 1.07)

So it looks like someone has taken (almost) all the Republican prices available.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited October 2020
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

An interesting question that we could try and answer is this; if Nicola Sturgeon had wanted to follow the strategy of Jacinda Adern in Scotland, could she have done so with the powers she has ?

Does Nicola Sturgeon have the power to quarantine all arrivals by flight/ship/road to Scotland for 2 weeks, and to introduce full lockdown measures for all non-essential businesses?

Once individuals enter Scotland, can she quarantine them? This actually seems less stringent than what Drakeford is trying to, which is physically prevent some arrivals from England entering Wales. So, if Drakeford has the power to do this, I would have thought Sturgeon had the power to quarantine entrants.
    Easy answer to that one , NOT a chance. Drakeford can only ask police to stop people who have crossed the border and they can only get them if they have broken some law. He has no power over borders, it is reserved to the Home Office. Scotland cannot do anything on immigration , borders etc as has been proven many times. Home Office deport people from Scotland on a whim and the Scottish Government have no say in it apart from begging.
    Well, I agree that Drakeford has no idea how to actually implement his policy.

I think there have been fines handed out to Liverpudlians by the Heddlu, etc, but I suppose these could be appealed and then there would have to be a decision on the legality of the fines, and ultimately on whether Drakeford has the power to do what he has done.

But, I think quarantining is different from borders.

Individuals are still being allowed in to Scotland, they are just being asked to stay in a hotel for 2 weeks (in NZ it was at their expense if they were not NZ citizens, I think).
  • Options
    I haven’t seen any discussion of this:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-teaching-union-calls-for-a-two-week-circuit-breaker-over-half-term-12106167

If the figures show that schools are the highest vector of transmission, why are we closing restaurants?

Also, this links to what I said the other day, although the NEU didn’t raise it - the enormous strain imposed on schools by this system means a two week break now would help mightily in getting us all through to Christmas. I’m absolutely exhausted on a Sunday evening. That’s never a good sign.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scumbags.

Precisely.

The only difference between planting a bomb at the MEN Arena and planting a bomb at the Bridge Street Boots is the scale of casualties it caused.

Either way they were ok with killing kids. You don't get to 186 dead children if you aren't ok with killing kids.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-teaching-union-calls-for-a-two-week-circuit-breaker-over-half-term-12106167

If the figures show that schools are the highest vector of transmission, why are we closing restaurants?

Also, this links to what I said the other day, although the NEU didn’t raise it - the enormous strain imposed on schools by this system means a two week break now would help mightily in getting us all through to Christmas. I’m absolutely exhausted on a Sunday evening. That’s never a good sign.

Restaurants are being closed because education is being deemed more important than hospitality. It isn't about eliminating all risk it is about prioritisation.

Of course that's not helpful to those affected and they should IMHO be fully compensated for it.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scumbags.

Precisely.

The only difference between planting a bomb at the MEN Arena and planting a bomb at the Bridge Street Boots is the scale of casualties it caused.

Either way they were ok with killing kids. You don't get to 186 dead children if you aren't ok with killing kids.
    Some of the apologias for the IRA remind me of the famous plaque on the King David Hotel in Jerusalem, blaming the British for the deaths of 93 people in a bomb attack by the Irgun after they had phoned through a highly ambiguous warning to the wrong person.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scumbags.

I can only apologise,

Well if things carry on as they are now, what do you think will happen?
    It must be the dementia again because I don't understand your question.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    It’s amazing what people think important

18:23 Czech Republic: Prague was the scene of riots this Sunday after some 2,000 fans, according to the Czech police, protested against the suspension of football and ice hockey competitions for fourteen days to curb the pandemic. The Central European country has been under a state of emergency since October 5 and protests of up to 500 people are only allowed.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,374
    edited October 2020
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

A rather dim and racist Munich schoolmaster famously told a young Jewish pupil of his ‘You will never amount to much. You do not have a scientific mind.’

Wasn't there a story that Alan Turing's report said something along the lines of him being good at maths but that did not matter and he'd need to improve his Latin to be considered a gentleman?

ETA Dirac story removed pending further research (re-reading Farmelo's biography).
  • Options
    edited October 2020

ydoethur said:

Restaurants are being closed because education is being deemed more important than hospitality. It isn't about eliminating all risk it is about prioritisation.

Of course that's not helpful to those affected and they should IMHO be fully compensated for it.
    The point is that if sick levels rocket in schools due to Covid and the Covid restrictions and they have to close due to inadequate staffing that defeats the object of closing restaurants so schools can stay open. So you get the worst of all worlds.

It would therefore be better to have two weeks to take stock and refresh now.

To that extent and for that reason I agree with Starmer, although I’m not terribly clear on what else he’s proposing.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

It’s amazing what people think important

18:23 Czech Republic: Prague was the scene of riots this Sunday after some 2,000 fans, according to the Czech police, protested against the suspension of football and ice hockey competitions for fourteen days to curb the pandemic. The Central European country has been under a state of emergency since October 5 and protests of up to 500 people are only allowed.

I remember when they had all those parties to celebrate the end of COVID....
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Viruses don't take the weekend off.

The ratio of tests to cases is what to look for.

Though they don't update the testing numbers at the weekend.
  • Options

Betfair's Virginia market has been discombobulated.

Republican 1.09 (but lay at 14.5)
    Democrats 1.07 (lay at 1.07)

So it looks like someone has taken (almost) all the Republican prices available.

Biden was about 15pts clear in the most recent pol, no? Someone knows something we don't?

Btw, it wouldn't have cost a lot to mop up all the prices if you really thought you were on to something.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    nichomar said:

How does that compare to last Sunday?
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    nichomar said:

31% increase in cases reported today compared to a week ago. Does anyone know whether there's any special reason for this, e.g. some Excel fkup? If not, those who've been saying the R number is down around 1 were probably, sadly, premature.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Just read a short biography , most interesting.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Maybe it was meant to be motivational. If you tell all your students they'll never amount to anything, they'll be determined to prove you wrong.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Roy_G_Biv said:

nichomar said:

31% increase in cases reported today compared to a week ago. Does anyone know whether there's any special reason for this, e.g. some Excel fkup? If not, those who've been saying the R number is down around 1 were probably, sadly, premature.
    There is a suspiciously massive notch in the by specimen date data last weekend.

I am expecting some more tests to be 'found' soon.
  • Options
    And much power did he centralise from local government when he was Chancellor or PM?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233

Carnyx said:

I don't think it makes sense to try to achieve zero covid in only one part of an island our size. Only an all-island approach makes sense as you can then take advantage of the natural frontier at the coast.

Sturgeon only talked about zero covid to create another point of difference. If she'd been serious about it she would have needed to lead and convince the rest of Britain's political leadership to follow.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Well, I agree that Drakeford has no idea how to actually implement his policy.

I think there have been fines handed out to Liverpudlians by the Heddlu, etc, but I suppose these could be appealed and then there would have to be a decision on the legality of the fines, and ultimately on whether Drakeford has the power to do what he has done.

But, I think quarantining is different from borders.

Individuals are still being allowed in to Scotland, they are just being asked to stay in a hotel for 2 weeks (in NZ it was at their expense if they were not NZ citizens, I think).
    Yes but all under control of the Home Office not Scotland. Best they can do is if someone breaks a law in the country then charge them with the crime, but cannot deport them to England for it. Scotland has no control of its own borders , all are controlled by Home Office.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    This thread has been crushed by early voting.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    Alistair said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

nichomar said:

There is a suspiciously massive notch in the by specimen date data last weekend.

I am expecting some more tests to be 'found' soon.
    Any special distribution to that "notch".. regionally, I mean?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Maybe it was meant to be motivational. If you tell all your students they'll never amount to anything, they'll be determined to prove you wrong.
    Not by telling them they’re stupid. That generally has the opposite effect.

If you tell them it’s because they’re lazy, or rude, or inattentive, and will fail as a result, that’s usually preferable.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Alistair said:
    Ron Johnson is one of the Republicans who went to Russia on the 4th July 2018. That group have consistently pushed conspiracy theories and disinformation that benefits Russia.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Autumn term is a beast at the best of times; I think some schools have moved to doubling up the Autumn HT anyway because so many teachers and pupils are utterly pooped.

As to why schools are still open at all, there's something in what Phillip says; the UK is using up most (nearly all) its R budget on schools because it's decided that's a national priority. We can question whether that's because of education or childcare, but it's understandable. It still has the wishful thinking that the current operation of schools can work all the way through the winter, but wishful thinking is the government's middle name. (Deliberately?) confusing children getting sick with children acting as carriers didn't help.

The other (grimmer) possibility is that, as with Universities, the government staked so much reputation on business-as-usual reopening that it daren't step back from that. Pretty much Johnson's only win over Starmer at PMQs was on the school reopening issue, and that's (in his mind) a good reason to plough on.

(Of course, what should have happened was to reduce capacity and increase spacing- lots of remote study for sixth formers and Uni students, encourage those who could temporarily homeschool to do so, have schools open for those who need them. But planning that would have meant acknowledging that there was going to be a problem...)
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited October 2020
    Roy_G_Biv said:

nichomar said:

You can’t conclude anything about R number from reporting date figures. And even then there are complications due to varied numbers of tests conducted.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Headmaster told my mother the same when I was sixteen, he was a halfwit or a motivational genius.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I don't think it makes sense to try to achieve zero covid in only one part of an island our size. Only an all-island approach makes sense as you can then take advantage of the natural frontier at the coast.

Sturgeon only talked about zero covid to create another point of difference. If she'd been serious about it she would have needed to lead and convince the rest of Britain's political leadership to follow.
    LOL as if Britain's political leadership would listen to Scotland even if it was the best idea in the world, what planet are you on.
  • Options
    If you want to compare the division in the UK with a country of high devolution and cooperative government compare this, London miles above the rest of the UK and a fair spread of lots of Germany cities, and population across very successful cities.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalization_and_World_Cities_Research_Network#:~:text= v t e Loughborough,Field ... 1 more rows

Alpha ++ London

Alpha +

Alpha Frankfurt

Alpha - Munich

Beta + Berlin, Dusseldorf, Hamburg

Beta

Beta - Stuttgart, Manchester

Gamma + Belfast, Glasgow

Gamma Bristol

High Sufficiency Birmingham, Leeds

Sufficiency Aberdeen, Cardiff, Dortmund, Dresden, Essen, Hanover, Leipzig, Liverpool, Mannheim, Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield, Southampton,
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

None at all.

Sean Clerkin, the Yoon's pal.

Assume that you therefore accept that Farage, Griffin, Francois, Yaxley-Lennon etc, etc, etc, etc are even more profound and pervasive representations of 'fierce' English nationalism.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    Roy_G_Biv said:

nichomar said:

More in line with this team of actuaries:

https://twitter.com/COVID19actuary/status/1317543090798866435?s=19

Though Leicester looking fairly static.

• Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Perhaps if nice people with their heart in the right place, such as yourself, cared more about institutions and governance, and less about finding the next fucking Gandhi, we'd all be better off.

It's this hero-worship that leads to bollocks like the Jezziah.

They're politicians. To be trusted as far as you can throw them.

PS: Jacinda is one of the better ones.

PPS: She will let you down.
This discussion has been closed.