Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the £105m WH2020 exchanges its Biden 62% – Trump 35% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277

Tomorrow’s Times looks like it has a good story about a vaccine...

Good as in “good news”?

• Options
    Fucking hell guys. 2020, what a bastard.

I’ve been down the boozer, masks, table service, last orders called at 9.30. Crazy bonk.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965

alex_ said:

So if both Pence and Trump were to become temporarily (not permanently) incapacitated, who acts as President?

Nancy Pelosi.
    Although that provision of the Act might well be unconstitutional. Just saying.
    Who will cast the deciding vote in the Supreme court in that case..
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Blimey. This has all the hallmarks of Boris situation... he's not that sick etc. until he suddenly is...

Feeling a little dirty i took those Pence bets at 80/1 earlier.

I'm on at 220. From March. In a plague year you need insurance.
    Very prescient. 80 was a steal given we knew he had the virus at this point.
    Indeed. Glad you got it. Now at 8. But suspended.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

I’ve been down the boozer, masks, table service, last orders called at 9.30. Crazy bonk.

You had a crazy bonk?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

Is it bad I don't want to go to bed, this is starting to feel monumental.
    It's a bit pointless, unless you feel like sticking around for the chat. If things are going to escalate it's not going to happen *that* quickly.
    No, the machines can keep him going for a bit. Even if it requires ECMO.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

I think Trump is political goner, and possibly a mortal goner (RIP - I hope I am wrong, he may be a bastard but every man's death diminishes me)

WTF does that mean? Biden must also be at severe risk.

2020 is just superb entertainment, however insane

I hope Biden is ok but I fear he actually might be at significant risk. He also does not look like the most robust man to me (same with Trump).

Kudos to those who took the Pence bet. Even if it does not come off, it will have been proven to have been a smart move.

Re Trump, whatever you think of the man, no one should wish for someone else's death.

Not Pol Pot's or Mussolini's?

No one should express the wish for someone else's death. However it is reasonable to point out that there is a major advantage if Trump loses this election by being dead or seriously incapacitated rather than just being outvoted, which is the potential buggering about between November and January it saves the USA from (which would have the potential to cost more than just the one life).
    Do you really think Trump is the equivalent of Pol Pot? Really?

I can (just about) see why people might see him as a Mussolini.

Do you think if people came on here talking about Jeremy Corbyn being the reincarnation of Stalin, that would be acceptable?
    Don't be stupid. You said nobody should wish for anyone's death. I pointed out that was wrong. I didn't say therefore it is ok to wish for Donald Trump's death. Which I don't, incidentally, but I am happy to point out the advantages it would entail. And what on earth is the problem with calling that pig Corbyn a reincarnation of Stalin?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

BF suspended again.

BF suspended again.

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is the effect of a BF suspension as I have no knowledge of betting
    It pisses us all off
    Sorry about that
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Blimey. This has all the hallmarks of Boris situation... he's not that sick etc. until he suddenly is...

Indeed. Glad you got it. Now at 8. But suspended.
    I got £15 on at 85. Wish I`d gone in harder now, there was a bit more available.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

I backed at 90 but then laid off.

Sad.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    eek said:

alex_ said:

So if both Pence and Trump were to become temporarily (not permanently) incapacitated, who acts as President?

Nancy Pelosi.
    The Queen?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    Well, I have a bad feeling about all this.

Night all.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2020
    CNN now reporting that he will be spending at least several days in the hospital. Again that isn't do a couple of tests, check his blood pressure, etc.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited October 2020
    Alistair said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Sad.
    Shame on you for betting on such a health crisis.

Where are your morals?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

You had a crazy bonk?
    Ha I wish!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

I think Trump is political goner, and possibly a mortal goner (RIP - I hope I am wrong, he may be a bastard but every man's death diminishes me)

I hope Biden is ok but I fear he actually might be at significant risk. He also does not look like the most robust man to me (same with Trump).

Kudos to those who took the Pence bet. Even if it does not come off, it will have been proven to have been a smart move.

Re Trump, whatever you think of the man, no one should wish for someone else's death.

No one should express the wish for someone else's death. However it is reasonable to point out that there is a major advantage if Trump loses this election by being dead or seriously incapacitated rather than just being outvoted, which is the potential buggering about between November and January it saves the USA from (which would have the potential to cost more than just the one life).

Do you think if people came on here talking about Jeremy Corbyn being the reincarnation of Stalin, that would be acceptable?
    Don't be stupid. You said nobody should wish for anyone's death. I pointed out that was wrong. I didn't say therefore it is ok to wish for Donald Trump's death. Which I don't, incidentally, but I am happy to point out the advantages it would entail. And what on earth is the problem with calling that pig Corbyn a reincarnation of Stalin?
    Told you they did.
  • Options
    Sky saying he has a mild fever

What on earth is a mild fever re covid
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    I’ve just cracked open a Punk IPA.
  • Options
  • Options

Presumably something around 38 degrees? Unhelpful phraseology.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Stocky said:

BF suspended again.

BF suspended again.

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is the effect of a BF suspension as I have no knowledge of betting
    It pisses us all off
    Sorry about that
    I think the serious answer to your original question BigG is that when BF suspend markets it makes us very twitchy and looking at their market void rules pretty damn sharpish. Secondly, from a principled point: why are they arbitrarily denying us the chance to continue betting on the particular market when it would be perfectly legal to carry on doing so?

Edit: I just re-read your original question and I think you misinterpreted my flippant response - I wasn`t criticising you!!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

Stocky said:

BF suspended again.

BF suspended again.

It pisses us all off
    Sorry about that
    Momentous times Big_G, I think that fact that some of our friends on here have made or lost a few quid not a big worry.
  • Options
    Biden pulling all negative ads.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Presumably something around 38 degrees? Unhelpful phraseology.
    Don’t you mean 100 in freedom degrees?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    MrEd said:

LadyG said:

Not even Adolf Hitler in 1939 and for a few years beond that?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

You had a crazy bonk?
    Sean back?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1312146069124345858

I missed the 800/1, but took some of the 400 when the market reopened
  • Options

Lincoln Project will be wiped out.
  • Options

You don't move someone from their home which happens to be equipped with a full medical centre into a hospital for a few days for a mild fever.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

alex_ said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Yes really.
    Isn't that just if they die?
    No ITU on a ventilator would be enough
    Theoretically but there's no formal definition.

If the President doesn't declare himself incapacitated then someone else authorised to do so would need to via the 25th Amendment. That's essentially either a supermajority of Congress or a majority of Trump's own Cabinet including the Veep.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/10/02/trump-covid-25th-amendment/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    HYUFD said:

Evangelicals in the US must be having mixed feelings tonight, ostensibly praying for Trump but also secretly knowing that in the event of his death Pence would take over and they would have one of their own in the White House

But would non evangelicals who like Trump be as willing to come out for the establishment Pence?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    LadyG said:

@LadyG what's your favourite place to eat? Presumably somewhere that serves imaginary food

The Atlantic Bar at Sheekeys.
    Had the Dover sole there recently. It was exquisite.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

Fwiw, I've always seen him as a Mussolini. Not a Hitler, and definitely not a Pol Pot, but Il Duce? Si Senor! Glad I'm not the only one to think so.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    dixiedean said:

You don't move someone from their home which happens to be equipped with a full medical centre into a hospital for a few days for a mild fever.
    Unless you want to get him away from his personal doctors
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

BF suspended again.

BF suspended again.

It pisses us all off
    Sorry about that
    I think the serious answer to your original question BigG is that when BF suspend markets it makes us very twitchy and looking at their market void rules pretty damn sharpish. Secondly, from a principled point: why are they arbitrarily denying us the chance to continue betting on the particular market when it would be perfectly legal to carry on doing so?
    Earlier BF said they suspended to allow unmatched bets to be cancelled.

No idea whether they usually do that.
  • Options
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

Told you they did.
    No, I didn't say that, I said I was ok with other people saying it. I myself would put the antisemitic fuckpig closer to the Mr Bean end of the spectrum.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    OnboardG1 said:

Good as in “good news”?

Yes.

Splash is: Hopes grow for a vaccine
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    justin124 said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

Not even Adolf Hitler in 1939 and for a few years beond that?
    And a few years before tbf.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

I presume the GE doesn't get postponed even if Trump is incapacitated? And if he dies? Is it Pence on the ticket?

Nothing postpones the election, it is set in stone.

If he dies then the Trump/Pence ticket becomes a Pence/unknown ticket.
    Not necessarily (but probably). See tomorrow.

Actually, the bigger problem is if he dies after the election (or so close to it that the RNC can't nominate an alternative candidate).
    Haven’t hundreds of thousands of people already (likely) voted for Trump?
    Technically, all they've done is vote for members of the Electoral College (though they may be pledged and legally bound to vote for to Trump depending on state law - but whether states can constitutionally do that is also a grey area).
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    I don't want him to die, and I really don't want him martyred
  • Options

twitter.com/lrozen/status/1312153302616825856

Again, its another thing I am always surprised by, just how shit the masks some VIP have. You would presume at the very least they had properly fitted N95 ones.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

No blue tick there. I don't believe that one.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    CNN says White House officials dont have a clue about the Presidents health crisis.

Even normal Trump insiders being kept in the dark.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:
    In a sense it does, in that people whose immune system over fights seem to become very unwell.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:
    I really cannot begrudge people for their use of pretty standard cliches at such a time.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965

Mental cruelty.

Our thoughts are with you big man.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

BF suspended again.

BF suspended again.

It pisses us all off
    Sorry about that

Edit: I just re-read your original question and I think you misinterpreted my flippant response - I wasn`t criticising you!!
    Thanks for your insight into this
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

100% agreed. I wrote the same this morning.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

My £2 at 800/1 is begining to look in very poor taste.
  • Options

dixiedean said:
    In a sense it does, in that people whose immune system over fights seem to become very unwell.
    If I catch it I`m absolutely convinced I`ll batter the fucker. I`ll defeat it through sheer belligerence.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199
    dixiedean said:

They might prefer to move him while he can still walk to the helicopter, rather than wait until that's not possible.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    edited October 2020
    Stocky said:

Jeez, Pence was down to 8 with BF when they suspended the market. That`s ridiculous unless Trump is way worse than is being reported.

Missed that doing other stuff.
    Could have taken some profits.
    alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Yokes said:

Its fair to say if you are being treated with essentially experimental treatments tested on hundreds, and your wife possibly isn't using these treatments, they are worried.

The lack of a video address/tweeting suggested something was up

Carting him to hospital makes sense

His risk factor is far higher than hers.
    The experimental treatment in itself doesn’t really tell you all that much (on its own), as it’s intended to be given to patients before their condition becomes serious.
    The statement that it was, to paraphrase slightly "infused without incident" was eyebrow rasing.

Who was expecting an incident?
    I think this is fair:
    https://twitter.com/ZekeEmanuel/status/1312139711427735552

As is this:
    https://twitter.com/K_G_Andersen/status/1312140835861917696
    What is the relevance of Ebola???
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_disease_treatment_research
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

Fwiw, I've always seen him as a Mussolini. Not a Hitler, and definitely not a Pol Pot, but Il Duce? Si Senor! Glad I'm not the only one to think so.
    I can't really imagine him wearing a Black Shirt. Wouldn't go down too well with the red tie.
  • Options

dixiedean said:
    Damn immune system. So very useful, but it sure can cause plenty of problems at times!
  • Options

dixiedean said:
    Fair enough. But it isn't about your character.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I presume the GE doesn't get postponed even if Trump is incapacitated? And if he dies? Is it Pence on the ticket?

Nothing postpones the election, it is set in stone.

If he dies then the Trump/Pence ticket becomes a Pence/unknown ticket.
    Not necessarily (but probably). See tomorrow.

Actually, the bigger problem is if he dies after the election (or so close to it that the RNC can't nominate an alternative candidate).
    Haven’t hundreds of thousands of people already (likely) voted for Trump?
    Technically, all they've done is vote for members of the Electoral College (though they may be pledged and legally bound to vote for to Trump depending on state law - but whether states can constitutionally do that is also a grey area).
    Cheers for the info!
  • Options
    Trump aboard Marine One, no statement, but walked.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Treat yourself to a case of Billecart Salmon and you will get over it fairly sharpish....
  • Options
    Rotor blades started
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Indeed.

Would make an Ivanka presidency more likely at some point. The martyr's daughter etc.
  • Options
    When it comes to cliches, when I see someone promising to fight for me every day (a sentiment you see all the way down to local politicians) it just makes me think 'Jeez, I can be demanding but you can take day off now and then, I don't need you fighting every day'.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Scott_xP said:

I had £3 at 410 before realising I`d made a mistake (I think). Pelosi could be Next President but the market rules say: "next President of the United States of America as a result of the 2020 presidential election". Pelosi will not be contesting the election will she - so our bets cannot win. I don`t think.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Not so much Betfair Help, as... Betfair, help !
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Yes, I did it when I thought Trump would rather step down for poor health than lose bigly. The virus wasn't a big deal when I made the bets but it has been insurance for that too. Wish I'd topped up.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200

Scott_xP said:

It is. Any winnings you can give to me as I have no such concerns.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    That looks like Pence in a wig to me.
  • Options

CNN says White House officials dont have a clue about the Presidents health crisis.

Even normal Trump insiders being kept in the dark.

Helicopter blades are now spinning.
  • Options
    He's off.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2020
    CNN are quite mental at time...."why didn't he make a statement, why didn't he answer questions"...the man has a deadly contagious disease and obviously doctors are concerned about his condition, and you think he should stand there and do a press conference or get into a shouting match over the sound of the helicopter blades?
  • Options
    No sign of Trump getting on to Marine 1.

He's not walking wounded.
  • Options
    It's not going to be Pelosi. Pence has already tested negative.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    This doesn't seem good.

They managed to get him on the chopper out of the view of cameras it seems. Seems serious.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Evangelicals in the US must be having mixed feelings tonight, ostensibly praying for Trump but also secretly knowing that in the event of his death Pence would take over and they would have one of their own in the White House

But would non evangelicals who like Trump be as willing to come out for the establishment Pence?
    I think he would get a pass because he would be seen as having being loyal to Trump and, also, because of the fears about what a Democrat Presidency would mean in the culture wars.

Personally, I would be less inclined to vote for Pence than Trump. You are far more likely to get a Handmaiden's Tale situation with Pence than you would have ever have gotten with Trump.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

No blue tick there. I don't believe that one.
    You don't? Whyever not? There'll be a playbook for just such a situation as this. And it won't have been written by a Party hack.
    If the President is incapacitated Pelosi is next in line. If Pence then has a heart attack or some such (and it is 2020 after all), they'll need Pelosi to be ready.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's not going to be Pelosi. Pence has already tested negative.

That's today's test.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    edited October 2020

With Trump out of action, he just has to look presidential at this point I think.
  • Options

Yes, that isn't good.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Good as in “good news”?

Yes.

Splash is: Hopes grow for a vaccine
    Looked up the page. NHS Lothian was trialling drive through sites for the flu jab and my experience was very positive. They had a mad rush the first day but people waited a max of 90 minutes, which isn’t horrible.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    eek said:

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    It may not need a casting vote. The Constitution grants Congress the power to define which "Officer" shall act as president in the absence of both a President and VP. But 'Officer' is usually taken to mean '... of the United States' - i.e. holding an office with national scope - which rules out Congressional office.
  • Options

Just being reported that Trump walked to the helicopter wearing a mask.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Indeed.

Would make an Ivanka presidency more likely at some point. The martyr's daughter etc.
    She can be renamed Donalda Jane Trump and declare him to have been a deity.
  • Options
    Now, belatedly, mandated in the White House.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:
    Fair enough. But it isn't about your character.
    True. Just as well in Trump's case.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I think he would get a pass because he would be seen as having being loyal to Trump and, also, because of the fears about what a Democrat Presidency would mean in the culture wars.

Personally, I would be less inclined to vote for Pence than Trump. You are far more likely to get a Handmaiden's Tale situation with Pence than you would have ever have gotten with Trump.
    It's not so much that I don't think he would get a pass, I just wondered about his ability to fire up the passions of the non-evangelicals.
  • Options
    Stand down everybody, just seen the video of Trump walking to Marine One, that's not somebody at death's door.
  • Options

Trump aboard Marine One, no statement, but walked.

If he walked, then that one's positive sign
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Sad.
    "Think it could come in further, it's essentially a bet on Trump's medical condition. Pence has already tested negative."

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3044110#Comment_3044110

From earlier today!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

I would say that if you are looking for a comparison for Trump - Peron, maybe?
This discussion has been closed.