Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the £105m WH2020 exchanges its Biden 62% – Trump 35% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I think we can safely say that the conspiracy theories are out of the window.
  • Options
    I remember in 2000 a dead candidate won a Senate election.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited October 2020
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Robert Moore on ITV news says if Trump goes on a ventilator s25 of the constitution will be invoked and the formal powers of the Presidency temporarily passed to VP Pence

Makes sense. People got into an absolutely ridiculous flap when Boris was out of action and we don't even have that kind of presidential system so legally it wasn't a problem, so for them such a formal move would be necessary.
    Yes the Queen still remained UK Head of State when Boris was on a ventilator, advised by the Cabinet, if Trump goes on a ventilator however there would be no acting US Head of State until Pence temporarily assumes the office.

When Reagan was shot and underwent surgery VP Bush temporarily assumed presidential powers for that period, when JFK was assassinated LBJ took the oath of office in the plane carrying his coffin back to DC
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613

nico679 said:

Trump off to hospital now

Link?
    Reported on Sky News.

Now updated on Graun website as well...

The White House has confirmed that the president will go to Walter Reed medical center and stay there for “the next few days.”

The full White House statement:

“President Trump remains in good spirits, has mild symptoms, and has been working throughout the day. Out of an abundance of caution, and at the recommendation of his physician and medical experts, the President will be working from the presidential offices at Walter Reed for the next few days. President Trump appreciates the outpouring of support for both he and the First Lady.”
    Love the phrase “abundance of caution”.
    Senator Lee used just that phrase, as the video emerged of him hugging people at the White House.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

BBC news confirming Trump being taken by Marine One to a military hospital tonight

Flying not good in hypoxia.
    Be a bit early to get the hypoxia surely Doc?

Isn't that a thing that hits after a few days (as in five or more) of fighting the virus?
    Perhaps he has had it for 5 days.

Shifting him by air transfer to hospital is quite a move. Perhaps he reacted badly to the antibody infusion.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Pulpstar said:

This is Boris Johnson on fast forward. Quicker the virus develops the worse the prognosis I believe too...

Maybe he's had it for days and there have just been two or three false negatives in his daily tests.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Didn't OGH just go on holiday?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    LadyG said:

I think Trump is political goner, and possibly a mortal goner (RIP - I hope I am wrong, he may be a bastard but every man's death diminishes me)

WTF does that mean? Biden must also be at severe risk.

2020 is just superb entertainment, however insane

I hope Biden is ok but I fear he actually might be at significant risk. He also does not look like the most robust man to me (same with Trump).

Kudos to those who took the Pence bet. Even if it does not come off, it will have been proven to have been a smart move.

Re Trump, whatever you think of the man, no one should wish for someone else's death.

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

BBC news confirming Trump being taken by Marine One to a military hospital tonight

Flying not good in hypoxia.
    Be a bit early to get the hypoxia surely Doc?

Isn't that a thing that hits after a few days (as in five or more) of fighting the virus?
    How long do we think he's been ill already?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

First incorruptable member of the Senate?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

I think Trump is political goner, and possibly a mortal goner (RIP - I hope I am wrong, he may be a bastard but every man's death diminishes me)

Biden and most of the sane world are now awaiting every one of the challenger's daily tests with extreme nerves I reckon.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

This is Boris Johnson on fast forward. Quicker the virus develops the worse the prognosis I believe too...

Maybe he's had it for days and there have just been two or three false negatives in his daily tests.
    I read earlier that the White House testing regime uses a test that is well known for false negatives
  • Options

Message from David Herdson.

'If [Trump] dies after I've finished my piece, I'll fucking kill him.'

Sounds reasonable.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

He did.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Have there been any head to head Pence vs Harris polls?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

I presume the GE doesn't get postponed even if Trump is incapacitated? And if he dies? Is it Pence on the ticket?

Pence is already on the ticket I think as VP.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202

Jesus, just add a paragraph at the end man.
  • Options
    Who is Trump's physician? Is he any good?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

And we know nothing ever happens when he does...
  • Options
    Trump's hair looks grey in this photo from the BBC story. Lighting issue or out of hair dye?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54396670
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Jesus, just add a paragraph at the end man.
    It's a joke!
  • Options
    Yokes said:

dixiedean said:

Sopel saying that there's already a fully equipped medical centre in the WH, so...

Yep. You don't use a helicopter for a mild case or tests.
    Not even for POTUS.
    Doesn't he pretty much always travel by Marine One?
    You'd be right there, using a chopper is practical
    It is but its not really designed to be secretive is it? Cameras are surely bound to catch pictures of him shortly and how he looks getting into the chopper - and is he walking or in a wheelchair etc?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

dixiedean said:

He did.
    Anyone seen the giant asteroid?
  • Options

You are meant to write two pieces in these cases: one for survival and one for the grim reaper.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It seems increasingly likely he already had it at the debate ...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

dixiedean said:

He did.
    FFS!
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I do remember one of Trump's physicians said back in 2017 that Trump was in peak physical health, and it was fake news to say Trump was overweight and obese.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Both Mike and myself were on holiday last weekend, I was expecting the world to end last weekend.
  • Options
    So if both Pence and Trump were to become temporarily (not permanently) incapacitated, who acts as President?
  • Options
    One thing remains true:

Hillary Clinton has no path to the Whitehouse.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

So if both Pence and Trump were to become temporarily (not permanently) incapacitated, who acts as President?

Nancy Pelosi.
  • Options
    Not a record you really want, to be honest. Though it seems he went on to a good career.

Hence, John Ashcroft became the first ever U.S. Senate candidate, incumbent or otherwise, to be defeated by a dead person.

It says the dead man's widow was appointed to the seat in his stead, which I feel is something I've see occur on various american TV shows over the years for posts big and small. I can see appointing to fill a vacancy can be difficult, but it seems strange to me to appoint the spouses of the deceased. There's no guarantee they will have any political acumen and they might not share all the views of their dearly departed or the local party machinery. And when it comes to the exercise of political power over the people it seems an odd place to let sympathy override any other factors.
  • Options

I presume the GE doesn't get postponed even if Trump is incapacitated? And if he dies? Is it Pence on the ticket?

Nothing postpones the election, it is set in stone.

If he dies then the Trump/Pence ticket becomes a Pence/unknown ticket.
  • Options
    I think this has successfully put me off a trip to the pub for another week.
  • Options
    Newsnight wondering whether this will postpone the election.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2020
    Nigelb said:

Yokes said:

Its fair to say if you are being treated with essentially experimental treatments tested on hundreds, and your wife possibly isn't using these treatments, they are worried.

The lack of a video address/tweeting suggested something was up

Carting him to hospital makes sense

His risk factor is far higher than hers.
    The experimental treatment in itself doesn’t really tell you all that much (on its own), as it’s intended to be given to patients before their condition becomes serious.
    The statement that it was, to paraphrase slightly "infused without incident" was eyebrow rasing.

Who was expecting an incident?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Yes really.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

alex_ said:

I do remember one of Trump's physicians said back in 2017 that Trump was in peak physical health, and it was fake news to say Trump was overweight and obese.
    Was that the one that said Trump could live to be 200 years old?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    alex_ said:

Pelosi
  • Options

alex_ said:

His doc said earlier that Trump has no co-morbidities. That hes a fat bloke, never mind that.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Yes really.
    Isn't that just if they die?
  • Options

Let's hope so. Because I'm afraid I wouldn't put up past this WH to lie about the whole thing to get a postponement.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

dixiedean said:

Both Mike and myself were on holiday last weekend, I was expecting the world to end last weekend.
    Ironically, that was the least disrupted of the last three Fridays, RBG having died some time after midnight the week before.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MrEd said:

LadyG said:

I hope Biden is ok but I fear he actually might be at significant risk. He also does not look like the most robust man to me (same with Trump).

Kudos to those who took the Pence bet. Even if it does not come off, it will have been proven to have been a smart move.

Re Trump, whatever you think of the man, no one should wish for someone else's death.

Not Pol Pot's or Mussolini's?

No one should express the wish for someone else's death. However it is reasonable to point out that there is a major advantage if Trump loses this election by being dead or seriously incapacitated rather than just being outvoted, which is the potential buggering about between November and January it saves the USA from (which would have the potential to cost more than just the one life).
  • Options
    Given that nobody believes any statements coming out of the White House any more, at least an outcome of all this might be to insist on improved standards for White House briefings?
  • Options

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Has ACB been formally nominated already? If they become temporarily incapacitated could she withdraw the nomination?
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,282

Last night I dreamed a dreary dream,
    Beyond the Isle of Skye,
    I dreamed a dead man won a fight,
    And that dead man was I
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

There are exceptions to any rule when it comes to the extremes of humanity.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Supreme Court appointment is off in that case.
  • Options

Not necessarily (but probably). See tomorrow.

Actually, the bigger problem is if he dies after the election (or so close to it that the RNC can't nominate an alternative candidate).
  • Options
    alex_ said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Yes really.
    No, if they are incapacitated she still becomes acting President.

She will need the cabinet to confirm that POTUS and VPOTUS are unable to discharge their duties.
  • Options

Newsnight wondering whether this will postpone the election.

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

BF suspended again.

BF suspended again.

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is the effect of a BF suspension as I have no knowledge of betting
    It pisses us all off
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Yes really.
    As President Trump followed by President Pelosi is just what is needed to bring America together
  • Options

I've read a learned opinion on this matter published via the Washington Post website. The suggestion is that, should Trump win but expire before the Electoral College has a chance to convene - either before or shortly after the general election - then the Republican National Committee would recommend a replacement, and it is highly likely that the Republican delegates in the Electoral College would back that person (though if this happened at very short notice I imagine the Republican electors would simply nominate Pence.)

The only likely complication would be if the RNC were divided and more than one rival candidate emerged, in which case there might be no outright winner in the College and the President would have to be elected by the House instead.
  • Options
    Russia made a move yet?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Yes really.
    If both are incapacitated then in effect it's the same as if they are dead, no one to take decisions, so I would not have thought so.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Although that provision of the Act might well be unconstitutional. Just saying.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    it might be in danger anyway if GOP senators start dropping like nine pins with Covid over the coming weeks
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Actually, the bigger problem is if he dies after the election (or so close to it that the RNC can't nominate an alternative candidate).
    Haven’t hundreds of thousands of people already (likely) voted for Trump?
  • Options

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Although that provision of the Act might well be unconstitutional. Just saying.
    So it might make the legal profession?

Hoorah.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well I did say earlier Pence would effectively be acting President from today for the time being
    I took 85 on BF when markets came out of suspension early for a bit of insurance. And I already had a few quid on him months ago at lower odds.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Yes really.
    Die or become judged to be incapacitated. If Trump were to go on a ventillator then tradition is to hand powers to the Veep.

Once that's happened, there'd be immense pressure not to see anything happen to Pence or acknowledge it as being serious given who would be next in line.
  • Options
    Seems to be a delay in the helicopter transfer. Suggests he can't get to the helicopter unaided?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:

First incorruptable member of the Senate?
    Not unless they embalmed him, no.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Has ACB been formally nominated already? If they become temporarily incapacitated could she withdraw the nomination?
    There was some talk of McConnell shutting the Senate.
    In case GOP Senators weren't able to make the vote.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Blimey. This has all the hallmarks of Boris situation... he's not that sick etc. until he suddenly is...

Feeling a little dirty i took those Pence bets at 80/1 earlier.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Yokes said:

Its fair to say if you are being treated with essentially experimental treatments tested on hundreds, and your wife possibly isn't using these treatments, they are worried.

The experimental treatment in itself doesn’t really tell you all that much (on its own), as it’s intended to be given to patients before their condition becomes serious.
    The statement that it was, to paraphrase slightly "infused without incident" was eyebrow rasing.

I think this is fair:
    https://twitter.com/ZekeEmanuel/status/1312139711427735552

As is this:
    https://twitter.com/K_G_Andersen/status/1312140835861917696
  • Options

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    She could cheekily put in an alternate nominee and challenge the Senate to stick to the timetable?
  • Options
    Jeez, Pence was down to 8 with BF when they suspended the market. That`s ridiculous unless Trump is way worse than is being reported.
  • Options
    chrisbchrisb Posts: 101

I've read a learned opinion on this matter published via the Washington Post website. The suggestion is that, should Trump win but expire before the Electoral College has a chance to convene - either before or shortly after the general election - then the Republican National Committee would recommend a replacement, and it is highly likely that the Republican delegates in the Electoral College would back that person (though if this happened at very short notice I imagine the Republican electors would simply nominate Pence.)

The only likely complication would be if the RNC were divided and more than one rival candidate emerged, in which case there might be no outright winner in the College and the President would have to be elected by the House instead.
    According to Betfair's rules the market is settled "according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2020 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market."

So if Trump's name is on the ballot as the presidential candidate, wouldn't he be the winner by Betfair's rules even if it's Pence who is eventually sworn in?
  • Options
    That not what CNN are saying. They say the press pack are waiting on the South Lawn and waiting to see if they will be able to ask questions.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

No one should express the wish for someone else's death. However it is reasonable to point out that there is a major advantage if Trump loses this election by being dead or seriously incapacitated rather than just being outvoted, which is the potential buggering about between November and January it saves the USA from (which would have the potential to cost more than just the one life).
    Do you really think Trump is the equivalent of Pol Pot? Really?

I can (just about) see why people might see him as a Mussolini.

Do you think if people came on here talking about Jeremy Corbyn being the reincarnation of Stalin, that would be acceptable?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

No

He said he was not obese
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

That not what CNN are saying. They say the press pack are waiting on the South Lawn and waiting to see if they will be able to ask questions.
    Yeah that bloke has just deleted his tweet!
  • Options
    alex_ said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Yes really.
    No ITU on a ventilator would be enough
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Yokes said:

I think this is fair:

As is this:
    What is the relevance of Ebola???
  • Options
    Is it bad I don't want to go to bed, this is starting to feel monumental.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Blimey. This has all the hallmarks of Boris situation... he's not that sick etc. until he suddenly is...

I'm on at 220. From March. In a plague year you need insurance.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Evangelicals in the US must be having mixed feelings tonight, ostensibly praying for Trump but also secretly knowing that in the event of his death Pence would take over and they would have one of their own in the White House
  • Options

Haven’t hundreds of thousands of people already (likely) voted for Trump?
    Yes, BUT the effect of voting for the Republican candidate, should that individual obtain a majority in any given state (or district in Maine and Nebraska,) is to return a Republican delegate or delegates to the Electoral College. If they convene in circumstances where the Republican candidate has actually died then they are free to vote how they please (technically, in states where there is legislation to prohibit faithless electors, it's arguable that the delegates would still be obliged to vote for the dead candidate, but in practice one questions whether this would be enforced.)
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Evangelicals in the US must be having mixed feelings tonight, ostensibly praying for Trump but also secretly knowing that in the event of his death Pence would take over and they would have one their own in the White House

The way your mind works!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

I'm on at 220. From March. In a plague year you need insurance.
    Very prescient. 80 was a steal given we knew he had the virus at this point.
  • Options

It's a bit pointless, unless you feel like sticking around for the chat. If things are going to escalate it's not going to happen *that* quickly.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    edited October 2020
    Tomorrow’s Times looks like it has a good story about a vaccine...
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Yokes said:

I think this is fair:

As is this:
    Of course, this is Zeke, Rahm's brother, and Obama's Healthcare czar.
  • Options

I'm assuming the WH Is not stupid in knowing that, if Marine One is on the lawn, it's going to be in full sight of the press pack. So I am kind of wondering whether he is going to come out walking and actually say something.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,282
    Regeneron must be praying that their treatment didn’t put him in hospital. Not a great look at the next shareholder meeting to accidentally kill the US President.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

Do you really think Trump is the equivalent of Pol Pot? Really?

I can (just about) see why people might see him as a Mussolini.

Do you think if people came on here talking about Jeremy Corbyn being the reincarnation of Stalin, that would be acceptable?
    They regularly did.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

It's a bit pointless, unless you feel like sticking around for the chat. If things are going to escalate it's not going to happen *that* quickly.
    Could do.
  • Options

Exactly what I was thinking!
  • Options

alex_ said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Nancy Pelosi.
    Yes really.
    No ITU on a ventilator would be enough
    Theoretically but there's no formal definition.

If the President doesn't declare himself incapacitated then someone else authorised to do so would need to via the 25th Amendment. That's essentially either a supermajority of Congress or a majority of Trump's own Cabinet including the Veep.
This discussion has been closed.