Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Going postal: Could a Democrat victory end up lost in the post

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,896
    Good evening. Has anything much happened today in the world of politics and current affairs?
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited August 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Of course I don't agree with Guido's ideological slant either but they are not helped by their site.

The Times is pretty good on the UI front, even the Telegraph seems fine. Their annoying use of paywalls is a constant frustration but I can see they need to make money.

It's a blog, not a newspaper. I think it's supposed to be simple.
    Simple doesn't mean crap. They could at least follow basic UX guidance.

There are plenty of decent blogging platforms or blogs that are well designed.

This is an insult to anyone that runs a blog quite frankly.
    Isn't it the most popular blog in the UK? so I think they are doing just fine.

*political blog!
    Look we're clearly looking at this from different points of view.

I am simply saying their site violates a whole load of UX guidelines and that annoys me because it's something I spend a lot of my time working with in my job.

It doesn't mean they are, or are not popular, I was simply raising it as I thought it was something interesting to discuss, perhaps I was wrong.

There are plenty of terribly designed websites that are popular, not disputing that. Doesn't mean they aren't terribly designed.

4Chan, is disgusting. The Guardian isn't very good either, Forbes is horrible, Buzzfeed rubbish. I could go on.

I don't particularly like the new Reddit design either but that's more because it's incredibly slow and inefficient.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

https://twitter.com/ZeObserver/status/1294368146900516869

Huh, interesting to see London has the highest Labour defectors due to Brexit.

That was my chart used without credit
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,249
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Of course I don't agree with Guido's ideological slant either but they are not helped by their site.

The Times is pretty good on the UI front, even the Telegraph seems fine. Their annoying use of paywalls is a constant frustration but I can see they need to make money.

*political blog!
    Not the most read one I gather..
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,406
    My trip to the Italian Alps in September is looking a bit more interesting following Bozo’s latest knee-jerk reaction.

On the way out I am fine stopping off in France, since it will be more than 14 days before I return to the UK. That’s assuming Macron doesn’t feel the need to impose reciprocal arrangements. Even then, a one night hotel stopover may still be unaffected as the next day I head directly to Germany.

Coming back, my French stopovers drop me into the quarantine net. But my return isn’t for seven weeks by which time who knows what the rules will be. So I have the option of waiting and seeing. Alternatively, it appears you are allowed to drive home through France, provided you don’t stop over, so I have the alternative of re-routing via the Aachen area and spending the last night in Germany, thus avoiding any quarantine under the current rules.
  • Options

Well I only linked to it, I'm sure you can let the user in question know.
  • Options
    I guess I'm the only sad one to think about UX design, oh well, I'll go back into the cracks from which I came.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,988

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!

I am simply saying their site violates a whole load of UX guidelines and that annoys me because it's something I spend a lot of my time working with in my job.

It doesn't mean they are, or are not popular, I was simply raising it as I thought it was something interesting to discuss, perhaps I was wrong.

There are plenty of terribly designed websites that are popular, not disputing that. Doesn't mean they aren't terribly designed.

4Chan, is disgusting. The Guardian isn't very good either, Forbes is horrible, Buzzfeed rubbish. I could go on.

I don't particularly like the new Reddit design either but that's more because it's incredibly slow and inefficient.
    Very true. I am always suspicious of the constant need/desire to redesign things. They are typically worse than the predecessor (reddit redesign, as you point out - so much more inefficient in terms of space). Guido's design has been more or less like that since it first started, and I think it's part of the charm. At the end of the day all you need is the stories to be clearly divided. People go for the tat in the stories, not the design.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de8wRd2TQQU

I find this guy fascinating, he's a lot more likeable than Zucks that's for sure.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!
    Not the most read one I gather..
    Has he moved into palatial matters?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!

Very true. I am always suspicious of the constant need/desire to redesign things. They are typically worse than the predecessor (reddit redesign, as you point out - so much more inefficient in terms of space). Guido's design has been more or less like that since it first started, and I think it's part of the charm. At the end of the day all you need is the stories to be clearly divided. People go for the tat in the stories, not the design.
    The new Reddit I could go on about all day, it's horrible to use.

I don't know who designed it but I really dislike how slow it is. In Safari especially it really bogs down the browser and I have to feel like they're doing too much, or the way their codebase is structured means they load everything at once which is not a good way to go about it.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,560
    PHE

- All settings
    - 28 days cut off
    - by day of death

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787

Cyclefree said:

Sicily.

1. Don’t go in August. Far too hot. It can easily get over 40 degrees. And there are lots of crowds.
    2. Palermo is well worth exploring.
    3. Selinunte and Segesta are wonderful for their Greek temples, as is Agrigento.
    4. Siracusa is a must especially if you can get tickets to the Greek theatre there. I saw a superb production of Antigone there.
    5. Sciacca is lovely and Ragusa.
    6. Taormina is the Amalfi of Sicily.
    7. Try and visit one of the Aeolian Islands.
    8. You must eat genuine Sicilian arancini di riso. Malvasia sweet wine is also delicious.

I remember first having arancini di riso in Sicily, and I agree wholeheartedly!
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Utter madness and eco vandalism from the EU

https://twitter.com/GaiaFawkes/status/1294580050281533440?s=19

Not the EU but administrative incompetence within Ireland.
    Always try to pin it on the EU, they will be stuffed in UK next year when they cannot blame everything on the EU. They will try to blame Labour instead.
    It is the Irish blaming the EU
    Really? It reads to me as if an organization in Ireland failed to follow widely known EU-wide administrative procedures and got taken to the ECJ. In no way did the EU specifically mandate the destruction of the saplings.
    Surely the problem is that the EU has some minutia of regulation about planting trees. Why is it getting involved in this at all? Planting more trees and reforestation is a hugely important goal, it's one of the tools we have against climate change so why are he EU making it more difficult with regulations?
    Well, to make sure they don't make tyhe environmentqal situation even worse?

Off now to do my bit for the environment (saorting out charity shop stuff from the clutter). Have a nice weekend everyone.
    Again, why get involved at all? If a country is happy to pursue reforestation or growing a new tree nursery then that in itself is worthwhile, why is he EU making this process unnecessarily complicated with regulations. The national government will know what's best for it's country, it isn't going to approve some kind of invasive species or something that will cause devastation to other forests in the country. It's just another example of EU regulatory overreach and now 400,000 trees are not going to exist that would otherwise have done.
    A quick Google finds our own governments environmental assessment guidance. It all sounds pretty reasonable to me, and seems to be in line with EU regulations. Which bit of it do you think is surplus to requirements? The need to understand the human impacts? The fire risks? The preservation of cultural sites and protected species?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/706038/171024-EIA-Scoping-and-ES-Statement-Guidance-v.5.pdf
    But why does the EU have to get involved? How does it help make sure that trade between the different members is on a level playing field?
    This sort of thing, regulatory overreach, is one of the reasons I seriously considered voting leave.
    The European Court ruled that an adequate environmental impact assessment was needed. Seems quite reasonable to me. It is not EU regs per se, just a requirement to assess impacts.

For example plantings near powerlines, railway lines, along some roads, on neolithic sites, on SSI's etc might be bad places to plant.
    I not arguing that an environmental impact assessment isn’t a good idea; my argument is that this is something that the Irish state should be perfectly capable of working out for itself. If the Irish Supreme Court had made this decision it would be sad that so many trees were due to be pulped, but unremarkable otherwise. It is the fact that the European Court got involved because this was a European standard rather than an Irish one that I have a problem with.

Is there a compelling reason why this is a European competence rather than a national one? If there is, then I will have to admit that you are right.
    It seems that it arises from this case:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ireland-fined-5m-euro-over-environmental-assessment-of-wind-farm-38684853.html

https://www.clientearth.org/court-of-justice-comes-down-hard-on-persistent-failures-to-assess-the-environmental-impacts-of-projects/

The Windfarm was built without an environmental impact, caused a massive landslide, hence the requirement to do so in the future. There also seems to be an issue of issuing retrospective approvals.
    I am happy to accept that it is a European competence, my question is why is it a European competence.
    Does it matter?

The point is that assessing the environmental impact of large projects is surely a good thing. None of the things being assessed seem unnecessary to me, and as we share a continent environmental impacts cross national borders.

It seems to me that this "red tape" is entirly right and appropriate. If Irish growers planted far too many saplings than there were places to plant them, it is tough but just a bad business decision on their part.

We constantly hear of over regulation by the EU, but when asked specifics the complaints rarely have substance.

In any case from 1st Jan there is no need to have Environmental assessments unless we carry on with the same rules. We can plant away, build widfarms wherever we please, build on floodplains or archaeological sites to our hearts content. It doesn't seem like progress to me though.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!

I don't know who designed it but I really dislike how slow it is. In Safari especially it really bogs down the browser and I have to feel like they're doing too much, or the way their codebase is structured means they load everything at once which is not a good way to go about it.
    Do a side by side comparison of old and new. Users on the new one must be suffering from RSI on their finger given how much bloody scrolling they have to do :D
  • Options
    edited August 2020

The new Corbynite angle seems to be attacking Keir Starmer for supporting a second referendum.

You know who also pushed for that position?

John McDonnell and Diane Abbott. How come they don't get named and shamed?

also most party members and Labour voters...
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    Belarus

It appears state media (or whats left of it) are saying that Russia has agreed to help President Big Hat on request. That's a very broad statement. Russia will have no problem sending advisors, though whether its to help the President himself or a broader regime is an open question. The question is what else would they send on request? Unbadged forces or something a little more conventional?

There are notable numbers of Russian ground troops from Western Military district turning up in two locations c30km east and c10km North of the Russia/Belarus border that were not previously there. Both locations are on main transit routes.

This is not new, the repositioning has been happening for days and you'd have to assume some contingency work by Moscow for many reasons, not just rolling the tanks over.

There is an adage that sometimes the size and shape of a military force on a border gets beyond spillover protection or sabre rattling and can only mean one thing; the intention is to use it. Anything from 24-96 hours and we might just get clarity on whether the scale of deployment holds a message.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Sicily.

1. Don’t go in August. Far too hot. It can easily get over 40 degrees. And there are lots of crowds.
    3. Selinunte and Segesta are wonderful for their Greek temples, as is Agrigento.
    4. Siracusa is a must especially if you can get tickets to the Greek theatre there. I saw a superb production of Antigone there.
    8. You must eat genuine Sicilian arancini di riso. Malvasia sweet wine is also delicious.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Always try to pin it on the EU, they will be stuffed in UK next year when they cannot blame everything on the EU. They will try to blame Labour instead.
    Really? It reads to me as if an organization in Ireland failed to follow widely known EU-wide administrative procedures and got taken to the ECJ. In no way did the EU specifically mandate the destruction of the saplings.
    Surely the problem is that the EU has some minutia of regulation about planting trees. Why is it getting involved in this at all? Planting more trees and reforestation is a hugely important goal, it's one of the tools we have against climate change so why are he EU making it more difficult with regulations?

Off now to do my bit for the environment (saorting out charity shop stuff from the clutter). Have a nice weekend everyone.
    Again, why get involved at all? If a country is happy to pursue reforestation or growing a new tree nursery then that in itself is worthwhile, why is he EU making this process unnecessarily complicated with regulations. The national government will know what's best for it's country, it isn't going to approve some kind of invasive species or something that will cause devastation to other forests in the country. It's just another example of EU regulatory overreach and now 400,000 trees are not going to exist that would otherwise have done.
    A quick Google finds our own governments environmental assessment guidance. It all sounds pretty reasonable to me, and seems to be in line with EU regulations. Which bit of it do you think is surplus to requirements? The need to understand the human impacts? The fire risks? The preservation of cultural sites and protected species?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/706038/171024-EIA-Scoping-and-ES-Statement-Guidance-v.5.pdf
    But why does the EU have to get involved? How does it help make sure that trade between the different members is on a level playing field?
    This sort of thing, regulatory overreach, is one of the reasons I seriously considered voting leave.
    The European Court ruled that an adequate environmental impact assessment was needed. Seems quite reasonable to me. It is not EU regs per se, just a requirement to assess impacts.

For example plantings near powerlines, railway lines, along some roads, on neolithic sites, on SSI's etc might be bad places to plant.
    I not arguing that an environmental impact assessment isn’t a good idea; my argument is that this is something that the Irish state should be perfectly capable of working out for itself. If the Irish Supreme Court had made this decision it would be sad that so many trees were due to be pulped, but unremarkable otherwise. It is the fact that the European Court got involved because this was a European standard rather than an Irish one that I have a problem with.

Is there a compelling reason why this is a European competence rather than a national one? If there is, then I will have to admit that you are right.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ireland-fined-5m-euro-over-environmental-assessment-of-wind-farm-38684853.html

https://www.clientearth.org/court-of-justice-comes-down-hard-on-persistent-failures-to-assess-the-environmental-impacts-of-projects/

The Windfarm was built without an environmental impact, caused a massive landslide, hence the requirement to do so in the future. There also seems to be an issue of issuing retrospective approvals.
    I am happy to accept that it is a European competence, my question is why is it a European competence.
    Does it matter?

The point is that assessing the environmental impact of large projects is surely a good thing. None of the things being assessed seem unnecessary to me, and as we share a continent environmental impacts cross national borders.

It seems to me that this "red tape" is entirly right and appropriate. If Irish growers planted far too many saplings than there were places to plant them, it is tough but just a bad business decision on their part.

We constantly hear of over regulation by the EU, but when asked specifics the complaints rarely have substance.

In any case from 1st Jan there is no need to have Environmental assessments unless we carry on with the same rules. We can plant away, build widfarms wherever we please, build on floodplains or archaeological sites to our hearts content. It doesn't seem like progress to me though.
    I don't see any issue with having MPs in Westminster decide regulations like this.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!
    I’m surprised most guido bloggers are capable of logging on.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!
    Why in God's name would you want to go onto the comments section there? Greater hive of scum and villainy comes to mind.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!

Do a side by side comparison of old and new. Users on the new one must be suffering from RSI on their finger given how much bloody scrolling they have to do :D
    I think most people don't use it. I suspect the main use case is people that don't have an account as it is forced on them. They have my respect for retaining the old version.

I can see how these decisions come about, having been involved in some myself. Usually you get a high flying new recruit who needs to make a name for themselves and so they come in and try and make a big splash.

I am going to make a guess that the person who suggested it, no longer works there.

Don't blame the engineers though, we don't have the power to veto these decisions
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Sicily.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Does it matter?

I don't see any issue with having MPs in Westminster decide regulations like this.
    They do already, the court judgement just requires consideration of the issues. How that consideration is resolved is a national competence, at least as I understand the cases.
  • Options
    RobD said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!
    Why in God's name would you want to go onto the comments section there? Greater hive of scum and villainy comes to mind.
    On this we completely agree although to be fair the comments on most political sites are crap, this site exempted.

I feel in general, the standard of debate and discussion here is high and that's because even despite its popularity, those that become members are usually interested in serious discussion. I hope so anyway.
  • Options

RobD said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!
    On this we completely agree although to be fair the comments on most political sites are crap, this site exempted.

I feel in general, the standard of debate and discussion here is high and that's because even despite its popularity, those that become members are usually interested in serious discussion. I hope so anyway.
    I don't know about you, but I'm mainly here for the pineapple pizza discussion.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    Yokes said:

Belarus

It appears state media (or whats left of it) are saying that Russia has agreed to help President Big Hat on request. That's a very broad statement. Russia will have no problem sending advisors, though whether its to help the President himself or a broader regime is an open question. The question is what else would they send on request? Unbadged forces or something a little more conventional?

There are notable numbers of Russian ground troops from Western Military district turning up in two locations c30km east and c10km North of the Russia/Belarus border that were not previously there. Both locations are on main transit routes.

This is not new, the repositioning has been happening for days and you'd have to assume some contingency work by Moscow for many reasons, not just rolling the tanks over.

There is an adage that sometimes the size and shape of a military force on a border gets beyond spillover protection or sabre rattling and can only mean one thing; the intention is to use it. Anything from 24-96 hours and we might just get clarity on whether the scale of deployment holds a message.

It's interesting that the Russian media have started presenting the protests very sympathetically and have been detailing some of the abuses of Lukashenko. It's nothing like the way Maidan was covered.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!

I don't know about you, but I'm mainly here for the pineapple pizza discussion.
    Oh of course, that was what I meant.
  • Options
    Pineapple on pizza is delicious.

*Grabs popcorn*
  • Options

Yokes said:

Belarus

It's interesting that the Russian media have started presenting the protests very sympathetically and have been detailing some of the abuses of Lukashenko. It's nothing like the way Maidan was covered.
    Haven't they been going cool on Lukashenko for a while now?
  • Options
    Update: Russian pronouncements on the Belarus/Russian understanding appear somewhat less committed.

This is a game of chicken between Big Hat & Moscow
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Belarus

So Hungary 56, Czechoslovakia 68 , Poland 80 repeated. A difficult one for Putin to know which way the Belarus military jumps.

On the other hand with his own protests in the Russian Far East, dangerous precedents.

https://twitter.com/BillyLiar10/status/1294681081443123201?s=19
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517
    RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!
    Pah - we're the most popular Palatial blog in the WORLD!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!
    On a point of pedantry, the best blog for betting on palatial issues.
  • Options
    England cases

Due to the weekend reporting gap, not much change, so will just do the overall trend graphs

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!
    On a point of pedantry, the best blog for betting on palatial issues.
    Yes, apologies I stand corrected.
  • Options
    Dangerous times for Putin: CSKA fans chanting "long live Belarus" :smile:

https://twitter.com/sportsru/status/1294670939431612417?s=19
  • Options
    ydoethur said:
    Well, thats populism for you...
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Yokes said:

Belarus

That is an indication of Russian government views on Big Hat himself but they have no interest whatsoever in seeing something akin to a regular democratic regime take power therefore leaving any number of possibilities about the future direction of the country.

They may view him as a dead duck and will long game this. I have noted in previous posts that many many Belarussian's aren't exactly hostile to Russia and aren't all go to be part of the Western European sphere, as represented by the EU, either. What they are, and increasingly so, is forging their own national identity. Russia will need to make a judgement on whether AGL is just a side show, it doesn't matter if he goes and they can attempt to manage their own interests via other means no matter who is in power.

Its either that or a game of chicken. How desperate is Big Hat? Enough to acquiesce to some kind of greater federation or union? Russia has been agitating and pushing that line for ages but the stall has been on the Belarus side.

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    From the Graun:

The French Health Ministry on Saturday reported 3,310 new coronavirus infections in France over the past 24 hours, setting a new post-lockdown high for the fourth day in a row and taking the country’s cumulative cases to 215,521.

France said on Saturday evening that 4,857 people are in hospital with Covid-19, including 376 people in intensive care units.

...and...

Ireland reported 200 new Covid-19 cases arising from multiple clusters across the country on Saturday, the highest daily amount since the beginning of May. The country’s chief medical officer described this as “deeply concerning”.

Ireland has reopened its economy at a slower pace than most European Union countries but that did not stop a rise in cases over the last two weeks that led to the first localised reimposition of some restrictions last week.

In terms of cases per capita, Ireland's new case load is nearly as high as France's. This second pulse, new outbreak, surge, however you describe it, seems to be spreading.
  • Options

From the Graun:

The French Health Ministry on Saturday reported 3,310 new coronavirus infections in France over the past 24 hours, setting a new post-lockdown high for the fourth day in a row and taking the country’s cumulative cases to 215,521.

France said on Saturday evening that 4,857 people are in hospital with Covid-19, including 376 people in intensive care units.

...and...

Ireland reported 200 new Covid-19 cases arising from multiple clusters across the country on Saturday, the highest daily amount since the beginning of May. The country’s chief medical officer described this as “deeply concerning”.

Ireland has reopened its economy at a slower pace than most European Union countries but that did not stop a rise in cases over the last two weeks that led to the first localised reimposition of some restrictions last week.

In terms of cases per capita, Ireland's new case load is nearly as high as France's. This second pulse, new outbreak, surge, however you describe it, seems to be spreading.

The UK seems to be on the cusp of it. Exponential growth can make a small uptick into a huge one in no time.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Reagan wasn't just an actor. He had a complex and surprisingly intellectual background - he wrote many of his own speeches over the years. The acting was just his career before he moved into politics full time. Where he became a popular and successful Governor of California for 2 terms.

As opposed to Trump. Who after a lifetime of staggering from one shitty business deal to another....

Reagan's Evil Empire speech, combined with Soviet paranoia, damn nearly caused World War 3.

Telling the truth does that sometimes.

Thank God for Gordievsky.
    "Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Reagan in Berlin, 1987.
    Your point being?
    Far from causing WW3, he helped end the Cold War.
    Nobody said he caused WW3, only that he nearly caused it. Once he realised what he was doing, he pulled back from the brink.

Do you really believe that calling on the Russians to do what the US and every government in Europe had been demanding they do for decades had any material effect on a system that was already crumbling?

The Soviet system was rotting from within. That was what ended the Cold War - not Reagan's demands.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    RobD said:

From the Graun:

...and...

The UK seems to be on the cusp of it. Exponential growth can make a small uptick into a huge one in no time.
    The big problem with CV-19 is that the numbers you see now are probably for people infected 10 days to two weeks ago. It takes, therefore, a long time for policy measures to show up in numbers.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Sicily.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Does it matter?

“Does it matter?” is really my question! I’m happy to accept that environmental rules are a good thing, my question remains why do they have to be European rather than letting different nations set their own. After all, a set of rules suitable for Finland might not be at all applicable in Malta (and vice versa).

I can see that if you have a project that crosses borders then they would be useful, but otherwise why not have them at the national level?
    This may be the difference between those who think that the EU is an inherently good idea and those who think that it was the least worst option.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Fishing said:

Trump was the perfect candidate for the twatter era. Or turn that around and say the twatter era was perfect for Trump.

Another aspect was that it was the failure of the GOP establishment which led to Trump.

There was a decade ago on PB an American GOP supporter called StarsAndStripes.

He was scornful of the idea that Trump could get nominated by the GOP and that if he did would suffer enormous defeat.

Yes, but there are other factors that make up Trump. He is best seen as the logical culmination of several trends that go back decades in western democracies, and America in particular:

- the devaluation of experience at the top of government, i.e. denying that you benefit from expertise
    - identity politics and its associated fostering of grievance
    - the dumbing down of debate through the shortening of attention spans through first TV, then social media
    - the toleration of rampant back-scratching and corruption
    - the relentless focus on personalities and not issues.

If you take those five trends together, you have President Trump.

And, for the record, we're on the same road on many of those trends over here. Hence that moron Corbyn.
    Hence also Johnson.
    I would agree that Johnson incorporates some of those trends to some extent. But I don't think he's particularly corrupt, nor directly into identity politics, though, like all politicians these days, he uses it when he has to. I agree that he could be said to incorporate 1, 3 and 5, though, albeit to a much lesser extent than Trump, and arguably not more than Blair.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

From the Graun:

...and...

The big problem with CV-19 is that the numbers you see now are probably for people infected 10 days to two weeks ago. It takes, therefore, a long time for policy measures to show up in numbers.
    But it would show up in surveillance testing, wouldn't it? That's just people randomly tested without needing symptoms.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,765

RobD said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

*political blog!

I suspect Guido's inspiration is Private Eye, which hasn't changed appearance in almost 60 years. I wonder how many ambitious graphic designers have approached them, asserting how much more impressive it could look with professional help.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Any views on Matched Betting? I have never been into gambling per se beyond the stock market, but was introduced to this a month or so ago. Have made a small profit of a few hundred pounds.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/AlastairMeeks/status/1294702900497862659

Why not a working class person that didn't vote for Brexit too? There are plenty I'm sure.

The odd thing is that I kind of agree with the principle of what Goodwin is saying, I just think he comes across like a bit of a hypocrite.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,571
    ydoethur said:
    It's bizarre, isn't it? My reading of the rules for appeals is that if it includes mocks or "other teacher assessments", then the original predicted teacher grades should stand as long as an appeal is made. Ofqual won't be able to dispute the evidence for an appeal, by the looks of it, without hiring an army of evidence-checkers. So pretty much like the Scottish u-turn, but with the added bureaucracy of an appeal.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Any views on Matched Betting? I have never been into gambling per se beyond the stock market, but was introduced to this a month or so ago. Have made a small profit of a few hundred pounds.

I did it and made about £1000 before I moved onto doing a similar thing with casino offers.

I then invested that money in the stock market when they started shutting down my accounts. From a starting point of £100 a few years ago I've made many, many thousands since.

It's very lucrative if you're patient.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

From the Graun:

...and...

We've already had more than enough time to see an effect from the last major unshuttering (including the gyms and pools) and there has been no sign of such a thing, any more than there has been from any previous tranche of easing. I see no particular reason why opening the theatres - hamstrung as they will be be social distancing - should make any more difference than did opening the cinemas, and I doubt that casinos and bowling alleys are great enough either in number or in terms of the customers that use them to suddenly tip us into a new wave of this thing, either.

I'm still concerned that the schools could muck everything up, but that would seem to be the only hurdle left to jump until the Winter.
  • Options
    Why would Ofqual need to U-turn when the system is working as designed, that's what the Tories said yesterday
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Sicily.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Does it matter?

“Does it matter?” is really my question! I’m happy to accept that environmental rules are a good thing, my question remains why do they have to be European rather than letting different nations set their own. After all, a set of rules suitable for Finland might not be at all applicable in Malta (and vice versa).

I can see that if you have a project that crosses borders then they would be useful, but otherwise why not have them at the national level?
    This may be the difference between those who think that the EU is an inherently good idea and those who think that it was the least worst option.
    As I understand the ruling, the EU requires an adequate environmental assessment, but the content of that, and how it influences the planning decision is a national competence.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    Nah, that won't catch on with the semi pro twitter warriors in the leftie echo chamber. Too much effort.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    Yokes said:

Yokes said:

Belarus

That is an indication of Russian government views on Big Hat himself but they have no interest whatsoever in seeing something akin to a regular democratic regime take power therefore leaving any number of possibilities about the future direction of the country.

They may view him as a dead duck and will long game this. I have noted in previous posts that many many Belarussian's aren't exactly hostile to Russia and aren't all go to be part of the Western European sphere, as represented by the EU, either. What they are, and increasingly so, is forging their own national identity. Russia will need to make a judgement on whether AGL is just a side show, it doesn't matter if he goes and they can attempt to manage their own interests via other means no matter who is in power.

Its either that or a game of chicken. How desperate is Big Hat? Enough to acquiesce to some kind of greater federation or union? Russia has been agitating and pushing that line for ages but the stall has been on the Belarus side.
    The bigger picture is the future of Putin within Russia. This could have more in common with 1989 than 2014.
  • Options
    The problem is that the people you are dealing with don't really believe in democracy.

Their plan is thus -

Phase 1: Collect underpants/ideology
    Phase 2: ?
    Phase 3: Revolution

• Options
    justin124 said:

You mean using intro bonuses? It works though it does end up being an exercise in administration. As a bit of extra money its alright but I suppose a lot of people on here see betting (and I am one) as a judgement exercise as well as playing with maths whilst matched betting is just..maths.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,688

I'm not going to die in a ditch on it, but he left the "Mike Smithson" on it, which imo constitutes acknowledgement.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    The 10 Scariest Election Scenarios, Ranked
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/08/election-nightmares-experts.html

The two most likely are the ones David outlined.
  • Options

justin124 said:

I did it and made about £1000 before I moved onto doing a similar thing with casino offers.

I then invested that money in the stock market when they started shutting down my accounts. From a starting point of £100 a few years ago I've made many, many thousands since.

I started with £100 a month back and have todate made a profit of circa £350.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I started with £100 a month back and have todate made a profit of circa £350.
    Sounds pretty spot on. In about a year you can make a thousand I suspect.

William Hill used to do a very lucrative offer. I don't want to describe it too much bearing in mind this is a political betting site but in short they used to do a lot of horse racing offers and you could profit handsomely off of those.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

justin124 said:

You mean using intro bonuses? It works though it does end up being an exercise in administration. As a bit of extra money its alright but I suppose a lot of people on here see betting (and I am one) as a judgement exercise as well as playing with maths whilst matched betting is just..maths.
    Yes - that sums it up well.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    justin124 said:

Are there still big money matched betting oppertunities?

I thought the big offers died off a decade ago.

My advice is always, always read the small print on the bookies offers and DO NOT GET greedy. Don't bet on a 7th division Latvian handball match as your first bet on the site.

Stick to big mainstream matches where you will not stick out.
  • Options

Yokes said:

Yokes said:

Belarus

The bigger picture is the future of Putin within Russia. This could have more in common with 1989 than 2014.
    Putin looks, sadly, reasonably secure. Other than sustained popular protest on a mass scale (which there are doubts the critical mass is there right now) , palace coup or, preferably, assassination he has got a decent foundation.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,688
    edited August 2020

You do realise that that shows that the current government is therefore spending more money on the NHS than any other government in history?

Looking at the rate at which spending is changing can be helpful, but it is not nearly as significant as the actual amount of spending.
    One of the biggest problems with New Labour was that Gordon Brown measured success by how much he had spent, rather than outcomes achieved.

It's the sort of measurement indulged in by 'Professor' Richard Murphaloon and his associates.
  • Options
    A new record for Covid cases now also reported for Malta. I've read a little about what's been going on there - seems the authorities permitted a number of festivals to take place, and the Italians are also linking a lot of cases that they have had to young adults returning from parties in Malta.

It's no wonder that the UK Government have knocked it off the travel corridor list. Greece is apparently next in the crosshairs. Pretty soon, the only countries that people from the UK will be allowed to visit are remote British territories like Pitcairn and the Falkland Islands, and countries like Australia and New Zealand that will lock you in quarantine on the way in even if you don't need to self-isolate after you get back.

Why Johnson doesn't just cut to the chase and tell the population that holidays abroad are cancelled until further notice I don't know. An awful lot of voters, not least businesspeople and workers in the domestic tourist sector, would be delighted.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2020
    But in general Matched Betting is a truly excellent idea. Do it as much as you can with sites you trust.

Do not take up dodgy gambling website's offers.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

But in general Matched Betting is a truly excellent idea. Do it as much as you can with sites you trust.

Agree. Especially as the offers seem to get worse each year, do whilst you can.

I do warn you though, it really won't last forever.

Does anyone do investing here?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059

A new record for Covid cases now also reported for Malta. I've read a little about what's been going on there - seems the authorities permitted a number of festivals to take place, and the Italians are also linking a lot of cases that they have had to young adults returning from parties in Malta.

It's no wonder that the UK Government have knocked it off the travel corridor list. Greece is apparently next in the crosshairs. Pretty soon, the only countries that people from the UK will be allowed to visit are remote British territories like Pitcairn and the Falkland Islands, and countries like Australia and New Zealand that will lock you in quarantine on the way in even if you don't need to self-isolate after you get back.

Why Johnson doesn't just cut to the chase and tell the population that holidays abroad are cancelled until further notice I don't know. An awful lot of voters, not least businesspeople and workers in the domestic tourist sector, would be delighted.

Worth remembering, though, that the UK already has lots of infected people, they just aren't showing up in the numbers yet.

So whether people go abroad or to Blackpool, then cases are going to be spiking in the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

There is a good website -'Team Profit' - which is very good at guiding people on this.
  • Options

Where are the figures showing us that a large % of new cases are from returning holiday makers? It may help justifying quarantine and disruption but I haven’t seen any published.
  • Options

ydoethur said:
    It's bizarre, isn't it? My reading of the rules for appeals is that if it includes mocks or "other teacher assessments", then the original predicted teacher grades should stand as long as an appeal is made. Ofqual won't be able to dispute the evidence for an appeal, by the looks of it, without hiring an army of evidence-checkers. So pretty much like the Scottish u-turn, but with the added bureaucracy of an appeal.
    It looks like a U turn with plausible deniability. (Actually, quite a teacher thing. Sometimes, you have to let Tarquin and Jocasta climb down without them losing face. Downside in this case is that it's going to extend the anxiety for students and create extra work for schools, who have plenty of other things to get on with.)

The next interesting thing is what happens for GCSE results...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

Greece is apparently next in the crosshairs.

That’s gonna annoy SeanT LadyG.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Sicily.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Does it matter?

As I understand the ruling, the EU requires an adequate environmental assessment, but the content of that, and how it influences the planning decision is a national competence.
    Ah. That I can’t object to.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Evening all. Has Williamson resigned yet?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Worth remembering, though, that the UK already has lots of infected people, they just aren't showing up in the numbers yet.

So whether people go abroad or to Blackpool, then cases are going to be spiking in the next couple of weeks.
    Depends on your definition of "lots." UK cases have been trickling upwards for six weeks; however, there is still no sign of a sharp uptick, which continues to suggest that carpet bombing of the problem areas is at least largely responsible for bumping the numbers up.

It still looks like rather different things are going on in different countries in Europe. If we look at differences in behaviours - amongst them the range of social distancing measures and how well they are being adhered to; the proportion the of the population still voluntarily self-isolating; the numbers of people working from home; those businesses that have been permitted to open, and those that remain shuttered; and the amount of social activity taking place (where people are gathering, how frequently, in how great a number of density, and the age cohorts involved) - then we might begin to better understand the situation.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Yokes said:

Yokes said:

Belarus

Putin looks, sadly, reasonably secure. Other than sustained popular protest on a mass scale (which there are doubts the critical mass is there right now) , palace coup or, preferably, assassination he has got a decent foundation.
    But he's getting short of roubles isn't he Yokes? And Covid isn't sparing Russia, whatever phony numbers he puts out. What then if his puppet in the White House goes in November - would Vlad still be as secure then?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    alex_ said:

No. He has all the qualities Boris looks for - total sychofancy
  • Options
    Any new yet of tonight's Opniium poll
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Trump was the perfect candidate for the twatter era. Or turn that around and say the twatter era was perfect for Trump.

Another aspect was that it was the failure of the GOP establishment which led to Trump.

There was a decade ago on PB an American GOP supporter called StarsAndStripes.

He was scornful of the idea that Trump could get nominated by the GOP and that if he did would suffer enormous defeat.

Yes, but there are other factors that make up Trump. He is best seen as the logical culmination of several trends that go back decades in western democracies, and America in particular:

- the devaluation of experience at the top of government, i.e. denying that you benefit from expertise
    - identity politics and its associated fostering of grievance
    - the dumbing down of debate through the shortening of attention spans through first TV, then social media
    - the toleration of rampant back-scratching and corruption
    - the relentless focus on personalities and not issues.

If you take those five trends together, you have President Trump.

And, for the record, we're on the same road on many of those trends over here. Hence that moron Corbyn.
    Hence also Johnson.
    I would agree that Johnson incorporates some of those trends to some extent. But I don't think he's particularly corrupt, nor directly into identity politics, though, like all politicians these days, he uses it when he has to. I agree that he could be said to incorporate 1, 3 and 5, though, albeit to a much lesser extent than Trump, and arguably not more than Blair.
    Yes, there are obvious similarities between Trump and Johnson but our man is not in the same league.
  • Options

alex_ said:

No. He has all the qualities Boris looks for - total sychofancy
    I assume the particular qualities were laziness, stupidity and manifest incompetence, but fancying psychos might be the thing?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Where are the figures showing us that a large % of new cases are from returning holiday makers? It may help justifying quarantine and disruption but I haven’t seen any published.
    It appears to be widely accepted that one of the principal reasons why the UK was hit as hard as it was back in March and April was because of mass importation of cases from holidaymakers. First there were the ski tourists from Northern Italy, and later sunbathers from Spain and France. We don't know yet how many new cases may have been imported this time around, but perhaps the Government didn't want to just let things carry on for another few weeks and treat overseas tourism as an exciting epidemiological experiment?

Shutting down foreign holidays would therefore appear to be largely a case of "once bitten, twice shy," although an awful lot of the public are still very frightened and new clampdowns like these will probably please a lot more people than they upset.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,688
    The second wave could be better described as slowly rising floodwater.

It may look less dramatic but can still cause just as much damage.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Depends on your definition of "lots." UK cases have been trickling upwards for six weeks; however, there is still no sign of a sharp uptick, which continues to suggest that carpet bombing of the problem areas is at least largely responsible for bumping the numbers up.

It still looks like rather different things are going on in different countries in Europe. If we look at differences in behaviours - amongst them the range of social distancing measures and how well they are being adhered to; the proportion the of the population still voluntarily self-isolating; the numbers of people working from home; those businesses that have been permitted to open, and those that remain shuttered; and the amount of social activity taking place (where people are gathering, how frequently, in how great a number of density, and the age cohorts involved) - then we might begin to better understand the situation.
    Positivity rates for Pillar 2 have gone from 0.4 to 0.6 in the last couple of weeks.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,891

Cyclefree said:

Sicily.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Level playing fields - stops one country's biug business gaining an unfair advantage through its cronies in government tearing up environmental laws.

And Europe is interconnected, of course. UK pollution affects Scandinavia; the Rhine and Danube flow through many states; etc.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:
    I`m not sure it has. In today`s announcement Ofqual mentions "non-exam assessment" - I didn`t read this as meaning the same as teacher assessed grades/ centre assessment grades.

See:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/appeals-based-on-mock-exams
  • Options
    edited August 2020

nichomar said:

It appears to be widely accepted that one of the principal reasons why the UK was hit as hard as it was back in March and April was because of mass importation of cases from holidaymakers. First there were the ski tourists from Northern Italy, and later sunbathers from Spain and France. We don't know yet how many new cases may have been imported this time around, but perhaps the Government didn't want to just let things carry on for another few weeks and treat overseas tourism as an exciting epidemiological experiment?

Shutting down foreign holidays would therefore appear to be largely a case of "once bitten, twice shy," although an awful lot of the public are still very frightened and new clampdowns like these will probably please a lot more people than they upset.
    Sunbathers in March and April? The ski resorts definitely, and largely because of the activities people get up to there in the evenings.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909

Cyclefree said:

Sicily.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Mrs Flatlander is in this business to a small degree and is/was always moaning about EU legislation.

It is not that some environmental legislation isn't required, it is more that it is overly broad and not necessarily based on suitable local criteria.

For example - one of our local nature reserves is designated under EU legislation as part of a wetland landscape. However, it is also designated under EU legislation because Nightjar nest there on what has become dry heath.

So, do you try and completely re-wet the site as per one set of EU directives, or keep it dry as per the other?

• Options
    alex_ said:

nichomar said:

Sunbathers in March and April? The ski resorts definitely, and largely because of the activities people get up to there in the evenings.
    Where are the figures, not a big ask is it ?conditions are very different to March and if people obey the rules in the country they are visiting the chances of being infected are low.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Positivity rates for Pillar 2 have gone from 0.4 to 0.6 in the last couple of weeks.
    Doesn't that link to the argument about better targeting?

Anyway, part of the big problem is that the figures from March and April are so differently compiled as to be uncomparable. We have almost no idea how the 1000 odd positive tests a day we are getting now compares to the positive tests we were getting at the end of March. We were testing 10s of thousands (tops) back then, almost all symptomatic, and mostly in hospitals.

We are now testing hundreds of thousands, many asymptomatic and largely in communities. It could well be that the numbers we are getting now are more indicative of the situation in early March or earlier. But this time the Care homes are better protected...
  • Options
    I hate it when posters disappear, @barnesian hasn`t posted for over two weeks.
  • Options

Yokes said:

Yokes said:

Belarus

Yes,

Italy and Greece look fine for now:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-which-countries-could-the-uk-add-to-its-quarantine-list-next-12037240

One of my Italian colleagues is off to visit her aging parents, and to sell her flat tommprow. Trips to these places are not purely tourism.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Yokes said:

Yokes said:

Yokes said:

Belarus

But he's getting short of roubles isn't he Yokes? And Covid isn't sparing Russia, whatever phony numbers he puts out. What then if his puppet in the White House goes in November - would Vlad still be as secure then?
    Don't think Trumps future is going to make a difference Peter. I cant see a Biden White House going for a full strangulation of Russia's economy, which they could certainly have a good go at. It is true that Russia's economy is not in great shape and I'd consider the place a basket case of a country that is in historical decline. Unless I am missing something, however, he still carries a solid base of support, even if not a majority. It would represent a very sudden drain. Plus his entire approach is one of risk management, he is at heart a functionary, and not inclined to go off the rails.

The irony of all this is that the man has enriched himself to an enormous degree (the figure is reportedly north of $10 billion) but when his day comes what is he going to do with it?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Didn't he say he was quarantining in Ireland? Possibly in the middle of nowhere with no access to internet. Wasn't he still sorting out probate issues relating to his wife's death?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yokes said:

Yokes said:

Belarus

Yes,

Italy and Greece look fine for now:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-which-countries-could-the-uk-add-to-its-quarantine-list-next-12037240

One of my Italian colleagues is off to visit her aging parents, and to sell her flat tommprow. Trips to these places are not purely tourism.
    We have our fingers crossed too. Off to Greece next Tuesday. We`re holding off booking car hire etc until this Friday when - I think - the next 28 day border travel review is due. We figure that if Greece gets past that we should be ok.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Stocky said:

Didn't he say he was quarantining in Ireland? Possibly in the middle of nowhere with no access to internet. Wasn't he still sorting out probate issues relating to his wife's death?
    Oh, thanks - I didn`t know that. I`ll look back at his last posts.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Friday, after the GCSE's...

No point in anyone else receiving that bullet.
This discussion has been closed.