Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Going postal: Could a Democrat victory end up lost in the post

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Possibly but for rent a roof scammers it’s Christmas come early.
    Would they be able to adapt existing panels? Or would this material only work with new ones?

If the former, then you’re right, it would be.

If the latter, however, they’re facing Reluctant Turkish Conscript times. They will very rapidly be swept out of the market as their panels age and people refuse to replace them.
    "Reluctant Turkish Conscript"? Intriguing expression - any hope of an explanation please?
    https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/08/30/towards-a-rational-immigration-policy/
    Thank you!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    Pagan2 said:

I sadly think we will see many more like Debenhams go

Debenhams was a dead man walking before covid it just hadn't laid down and died yet. Covid just accelerated the death scene
    Thargest Department store chanin in Germany Galaria Kaufhoff/Karstadt announced in July many shop closures. Interestingly this announcement has allowed then to renegotiate the rent they pay for their shops quite agressively, and save at least 12 stores from the Axe. This is because the buildings are designed to be department stores, and the owners realise they will either have to spend millions changing the buildings for a different purpose or face the prospect of sitting on ghost stores.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What is HYUFD's (does it stand for something?) record like?

Well I got the 2019 election right
    You did - and what's it like prior to that?

I got 2017 right, did you?
    In the sense May was re elected yes though I also said there were more undecideds than ever before a week before polling day
    But she was not re-elected - but propped up by a small minority party.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    kinabalu said:

I see the 'Trump hasn't been quite as terrible as everyone said he would be' meme is taking hold. Presumably that wouldn't include those people saying that Trump's term would end up being unremarkable in the wider historical view of US presidents, or that he was probably more an instinctive Dem than a Republican, or after his first excesses that he was going to pivot to the centre any minute now. I believe some of these people even said such stuff on here.

He's a malignant cancer from which only the most radical surgery* will have a chance of saving the body politic, and with likely years of very slow convalescence even on the best prognosis. It's not only US politics that's been poisoned either.

*for the avoidance of doubt, that's a Dem landslide not assassination.

I'm not normally an authoritarian - let a thousand flowers bloom - but I'm afraid this is the only acceptable view on this one. And it really has nothing to do with left/right or lab/con or leave/remain or any of that stuff. Exorcising Trump and his baleful influence brings together all people of sound mind and good character. If you dissent from this assertion you are by definition missing at least one of those things.
    Yes, good post. He brings the nation into disrepute.

Psychopaths shouldn`t be presidents. For that matter, how did one get anywhere near the Rep nomination in the first place?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    eristdoof said:

Pagan2 said:

Debenhams was a dead man walking before covid it just hadn't laid down and died yet. Covid just accelerated the death scene
    Thargest Department store chanin in Germany Galaria Kaufhoff/Karstadt announced in July many shop closures. Interestingly this announcement has allowed then to renegotiate the rent they pay for their shops quite agressively, and save at least 12 stores from the Axe. This is because the buildings are designed to be department stores, and the owners realise they will either have to spend millions changing the buildings for a different purpose or face the prospect of sitting on ghost stores.
    I believe that Debenhams has already tried that, in a previous cost cutting round.

Ah yes, found it....

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/12/debenhams-seeks-rent-cuts-20-stores/
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320

kinabalu said:

I see the 'Trump hasn't been quite as terrible as everyone said he would be' meme is taking hold. Presumably that wouldn't include those people saying that Trump's term would end up being unremarkable in the wider historical view of US presidents, or that he was probably more an instinctive Dem than a Republican, or after his first excesses that he was going to pivot to the centre any minute now. I believe some of these people even said such stuff on here.

He's a malignant cancer from which only the most radical surgery* will have a chance of saving the body politic, and with likely years of very slow convalescence even on the best prognosis. It's not only US politics that's been poisoned either.

I'm not normally an authoritarian - let a thousand flowers bloom - but I'm afraid this is the only acceptable view on this one. And it really has nothing to do with left/right or lab/con or leave/remain or any of that stuff. Exorcising Trump and his baleful influence brings together all people of sound mind and good character. If you dissent from this assertion you are by definition missing at least one of those things.
    Yep, by their equivocation shall ye know them.

I see a distinct possibility that even if the Dems win the EC vote narrowly that Trump will use his own and GOP vote suppression shenanigans (which will have kept the Dem win narrow) as justification for challenging the result. That's just the sort of shameless crooks that they are.
    I happen to think it will not be close but if I'm wrong and it is, yes, god only knows what shenanigans will ensue. I do have a recurring vision of Trump leaving the White House in a horizontal position - a sedative and stretcher type scenario - nothing violent - but that is probably just my way of picturing the result.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I posted the gov.uk link earlier this morning. I agree with its content. Stupid comment by Bendor.
  • Options

slade said:

nichomar said:

slade said:

nichomar said:

slade said:

Charles said:

Voting by mail is not done inalienable democratic right. The Dems are pushing it for partisan reasons (and the GOP are resisting it for the same reason)

Limitations on the number of polling stations is far more serious from a democratic perspective. There is no reasonable argument that can be made as to why that might be acceptable.

I remember a local council election where the (LibDem) town council decided to move some of the polling stations AND "save money" by not sending out polling cards or informing residents of where they'd moved the stations to. People were supposed to read the announcement in modest print affixed to a notice outside the town hall, or read the leaflets put out by parties. On the day, we had to put tellers at the "wrong" stations to redirect voters. It was a safe LD seat and they felt that other parties contesting it was an offensive waste of time and money.

Because it was a town council election and a safe seat, opponents were only midly outraged, and even amused at the effrontery. We teased the LDs about it for years, though. That sort of thing at the level of the US Presidency is less entertaining.
    This is not unusual. My town council is run by a group of independents. Despite the council being very wealthy they have decreed that by elections are too expensive and fill any vacancies by co-option.
    They can’t do that by choice they can only do it if nobody asks for an election which requires ten signatures. If no candidates are nominated then again they can co-opt
    We tried this. The Lib Dems asked for a by-election, the Independents put out a leaflet highlighting the costs of the election and won handsomely.
    That’s a failure of the local Lib Dems I’m afraid, if they have a record of year round campaigning and run a good election they should win. Most independents are con dependents and should be exposed as such. It does depend on your precept though, if it’s 5000/pa then spending 2000 on an election is excessive. We always used to budget for at least one by election each year so the cost was covered.
    It's a complicated story. When I moved in there were 10 Lib Dems, I Lab, and I Con. In 2003 it became 9 LD ( including me) and 3 Ind ( one of whom was a Lib Dem expelled from the party, and one a former Lab councillor). In 2007 it was 7 LD and 6 Ind, then the disaster of 2011 it was 11 Ind and 1 LD (me). Despite regular leafletting and canvassing we saw our vote slip away. I think one of the reasons ( and this affects Lab and Con as well) is the Independent line that we are controlled by 'the centre' and only the Independents can represent local people.
    Do the independents do a good job? Are they a cohesive group with a plan or "proper" independents. I've never lived in a place where independents have done well, I like the idea in principle but no idea how effective it would be in reality.
    An Independent group though is surely a contradiction in terms!
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Trump is approaching democracy in the same way he approached business. How anyone here remotely defends or provides cover for what he is up to is beyond me. I am looking at you Charles. Trump is beneath whatever foul bile lurks beneath contempt. He needs to be defeated. Trump's brand of skulduggery will take all the energy and ingenuity that the Dems and decent people possess. I give them at best a 50:50 chance.

Meanwhile our government, which has its own taste for skulduggery, is moving through the gears from shambolic to a down right bone fide basket case. How anyone can support it is quite beyond me at the moment. Again, Labour has a ton of work to do to pull itself out of the abyss it dug itself into and being in a position to win.

Bad times.

"How anyone here remotely defends or provides cover for [Trump]?" Hmm. It`s a head-scratcher that one - the loathsome manchild-toad that he is.

Can anyone shed any light? The only thing I can think of is that would dissuade me from voting for Biden with relish is the "taking the knee" stuff and a general concern about a wokey direction - but I`m less concerned about that than I would be if it wasn`t Biden.

Trump has to go. It`s crucial.
    OK I'll bite. The case for Trump:
    1) no more Neocon wars
    2) he failed to repeal Obamacare
    3) lower taxes for rich people
    4) anti-China; not anti-Russia

The case against Biden:
    1) he's past it
    2) Dems want to sieze the people's guns and shoot babies
    Despite all the rhetoric Trump has been the least warlike and hawkish US President since Carter, there have been no new US invasions of other nations under Trump and not even any major air strikes.

Domestically apart from being more protectionist than free trade he has not done much different from the average Republican President and the US still has gay marriage and legal abortion.

Trump may be a caricature in rhetoric but in policy terms it is more his cultural anti immigration and anti PC language that annoys the left and liberals
    Exactly. As a non-US citizen, the effect has been neutral bordering on benign - had Hillary won, we could have been elbow deep in a Middle East war costing billions AND Covid by now. As a US citizen, I can strongly understand them wanting someone less cringey and just more pleasant, but I'm not, so I don't mind one way or t'other.
    I do tend to agree that Trump's caution relative dovishness has some benefits. His bone spurs were no bad thing... I think he shies away from that sort of area partly because he know's he's particularly vulnerable to the charge he's sending young people to die when he dodged service.

But I don't agree he's been benign on the international stage at all - being (to an extent rightly) cautious on commiting troops isn't what makes someone benign by itself. He's allowed - indeed helped - Putin massively to expand his influence in a way that is hugely harmful. He's undermined international bodies like the UN and NATO at every opportunity. He's disengaged completely from global action on climate change. He's set a template for a generation of populists who tend to be damaging to their own countries and distabilising to the world more broadly. These are no small matters.
    Could you explain what you mean by "He's allowed - indeed helped - Putin massively to expand his influence in a way that is hugely harmful. "?

Under Obama, Putin took Crimea and basically controlled Eastern Ukraine, as well as everything else he was doing in the Caucasus. The biggest increase Russia had in influence was then, in part because Obama didn't want to look stupid after laughing at Mitt Romney in the 2012 debates for saying Russia was a threat. Bar Syria (which is a tragedy but not sure the US should be getting involved there), Russia is causing far fewer issues than it did several years back
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I posted the gov.uk link earlier this morning. I agree with its content. Stupid comment by Bendor.
    The bit from that I find interesting is that -

"in 96% of cases grades were the same as submitted by teachers or were just one grade different."

Is that correct?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

That’s bizarre. Even Lukashenko wasn’t thick enough to admit he’d rigged the elections in advance.
    There's a uniqueness about Trump, where he's both watching predictions of what may unfold on news channels, tweeting about them, and then attempting to actively fulfil and realise these predictions too, to participate in this continuous media process which he lives off.

The only parallel I can think of is David Bowie's character in The Man Who Fell To Earth, who incessantly watches mounted banks of 20 TV's and different channels at the same time, from the solitude of his hotel room ; although that character was more benign.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    Stocky said:

Are blogs by anonymous 'Media Officers' now a common feature of .gov.uk sites? It's the first time one has come to my attention.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Trump is approaching democracy in the same way he approached business. How anyone here remotely defends or provides cover for what he is up to is beyond me. I am looking at you Charles. Trump is beneath whatever foul bile lurks beneath contempt. He needs to be defeated. Trump's brand of skulduggery will take all the energy and ingenuity that the Dems and decent people possess. I give them at best a 50:50 chance.

Meanwhile our government, which has its own taste for skulduggery, is moving through the gears from shambolic to a down right bone fide basket case. How anyone can support it is quite beyond me at the moment. Again, Labour has a ton of work to do to pull itself out of the abyss it dug itself into and being in a position to win.

Bad times.

"How anyone here remotely defends or provides cover for [Trump]?" Hmm. It`s a head-scratcher that one - the loathsome manchild-toad that he is.

Can anyone shed any light? The only thing I can think of is that would dissuade me from voting for Biden with relish is the "taking the knee" stuff and a general concern about a wokey direction - but I`m less concerned about that than I would be if it wasn`t Biden.

1) no more Neocon wars

The case against Biden:
    1) he's past it
    Despite all the rhetoric Trump has been the least warlike and hawkish US President since Carter, there have been no new US invasions of other nations under Trump and not even any major air strikes.

Domestically apart from being more protectionist than free trade he has not done much different from the average Republican President and the US still has gay marriage and legal abortion.

Trump may be a caricature in rhetoric but in policy terms it is more his cultural anti immigration and anti PC language that annoys the left and liberals
    Exactly. As a non-US citizen, the effect has been neutral bordering on benign - had Hillary won, we could have been elbow deep in a Middle East war costing billions AND Covid by now. As a US citizen, I can strongly understand them wanting someone less cringey and just more pleasant, but I'm not, so I don't mind one way or t'other.
    I do tend to agree that Trump's caution relative dovishness has some benefits. His bone spurs were no bad thing... I think he shies away from that sort of area partly because he know's he's particularly vulnerable to the charge he's sending young people to die when he dodged service.

But I don't agree he's been benign on the international stage at all - being (to an extent rightly) cautious on commiting troops isn't what makes someone benign by itself. He's allowed - indeed helped - Putin massively to expand his influence in a way that is hugely harmful. He's undermined international bodies like the UN and NATO at every opportunity. He's disengaged completely from global action on climate change. He's set a template for a generation of populists who tend to be damaging to their own countries and distabilising to the world more broadly. These are no small matters.
    Could you explain what you mean by "He's allowed - indeed helped - Putin massively to expand his influence in a way that is hugely harmful. "?

Under Obama, Putin took Crimea and basically controlled Eastern Ukraine, as well as everything else he was doing in the Caucasus. The biggest increase Russia had in influence was then, in part because Obama didn't want to look stupid after laughing at Mitt Romney in the 2012 debates for saying Russia was a threat. Bar Syria (which is a tragedy but not sure the US should be getting involved there), Russia is causing far fewer issues than it did several years back
    The recent decline in Russia's interventions abroad is probably related to the collapse in oil price. Russia is very much an oil economy now.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336

Stocky said:

"in 96% of cases grades were the same as submitted by teachers or were just one grade different."

Is that correct?
    In 96% of cases the notes I play on the organ are the right note or the note next to it.

That does not mean 96% of the notes I play are correct.

In fact they’re both right - 40% were regraded, but 39% were graded down and 1% graded up.
  • Options

MrEd said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Betting Post.

"There is one exception to that consensus [that Trump is losing]. The stock market. The record shows that if the bull market stays as strong as it has been, Trump will pull off an unexpected victory."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/08/15/everyone-thinks-trump-will-lose-except-stock-market/

And Helmut Norpoth - who merits attention - 91% chance of Trump win:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/donald-trump-chance-of-winning-election-2020-joe-biden-poll-model-a9609236.html
    Only election Norputh has got wrong using his model since 1996 was 2000 and his model would also have got 1960 wrong, in both elections there was less than 1% between Kennedy and Nixon and Bush and Gore in the popular vote
    So, is Trump going to win HYUFD? What do you think is his percentage chance?
    I think it will be as close as 2000 and again all come down to Florida as Biden will pick up Michigan and Pennsylvania and Trump will hold all his other 2016 states
    Thanks. I`ve printed that off and it`s going on my noticeboard.
    Here is another one for your noticeboard - Trump will win all the states he won in 2016 plus Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire and possibly Virginia.
    This appears more like a Belarusian election as the day progresses. What (insider?) information do you base this "tip" on?
    Well, apart from the KGB-inspired rigging (joking), the latest polls in Minnesota have tightened a lot in both the Senate and Presidential polls (+3 for the Dems I think was the last poll for both). Nevada was close in 2016, and I would imagine being seen to want the economy re-open will be a winner in somewhere like Las Vegas that depends on business coming back to normal. In Virginia, there are a lot of anger at the legislature's actions and I wouldn't be surprised to see that as the shock of the night
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Betting Post.

"There is one exception to that consensus [that Trump is losing]. The stock market. The record shows that if the bull market stays as strong as it has been, Trump will pull off an unexpected victory."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/08/15/everyone-thinks-trump-will-lose-except-stock-market/

And Helmut Norpoth - who merits attention - 91% chance of Trump win:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/donald-trump-chance-of-winning-election-2020-joe-biden-poll-model-a9609236.html
    Only election Norputh has got wrong using his model since 1996 was 2000 and his model would also have got 1960 wrong, in both elections there was less than 1% between Kennedy and Nixon and Bush and Gore in the popular vote
    So, is Trump going to win HYUFD? What do you think is his percentage chance?
    I think it will be as close as 2000 and again all come down to Florida as Biden will pick up Michigan and Pennsylvania and Trump will hold all his other 2016 states
    Thanks. I`ve printed that off and it`s going on my noticeboard.
    Here is another one for your noticeboard - Trump will win all the states he won in 2016 plus Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire and possibly Virginia.
    Wow. And I have his EC spread down at 190/200. Me and you are like a pair of card players both sitting there with what they think is a full house. Wonder who's actually got it and who's got the jack high?
    You two need to check out Nate Silver's prediction maps, in particular his very helpful 'snake'.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/

You'll see from that and Nate's own comments that the race is rather more open than is generally imagined, though not quite as good for Trump as Ed would like!
    Yes, I've looked at that. It's a nice piece of work but it's conclusions are the opposite of what you're saying.

His weighted average EC for Trump is similar to mine - around the 200 mark.

And his overall probability for a Trump win is 27% - much lower than the 40% implied by the betting markets.

So per him - and me - the race is LESS open than is generally imagined.
    Well I wouldn't equate the betting fraternity with the genaral public. Punters have other considerations to bear in mind.

Note that Nate points out Hillary was at about 70% probability on the eve of the election, so Trump at 27% now is by no means out of it.
    Oh definitely. 27% is not out of it. Not by a long chalk. And that's right about the public not being the same as the betting fraternity. But we must be picking up different vibes on this because what I'm hearing around the tracks from (non betting) people is sentiments along the lines of, "yeah, polls, but they said that last time, and Biden's so old, I think Trump's going to win again."

So my perception is that almost everybody - media, betting, public - are overrating Trump's chances and as for the margin I struggle to find a single ally on here to support my view that it will not be close, even though the hard evidence right now suggests a big loss is a very distinct possibility.

And I'm not moaning about this btw, I like it and I hope the false consensus (that it will be close and Trump has a great chance) stays in place until the opening SPIN EC spreads come out. I want to see that Trump sell price at about 250 so I can sell the absolute arse out of it! :smile:
    I think there's a general view that things 'trend back to the norm'.

And that's because in general things do trend back to the norm.

So if we had a 'standard' President I would expect him to win.

But with Trump nothing is standard.

So there's a greater chance that things will not 'trend back to the norm'.
    If Trump were not Trump you'd expect him to win but because he IS Trump there's a big chance he will win?

Not keen on that.
    No, because Trump is so non-standard I think there's a bigger chance that he will lose and a far bigger chance that he will heavily.
    Ah Ok. Got you.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Is that correct?
    In 96% of cases the notes I play on the organ are the right note or the note next to it.

In fact they’re both right - 40% were regraded, but 39% were graded down and 1% graded up.
    Thank you - that last sentence is the crucial bit.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,143
    ydoethur said:

https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/1294382373782593539
  • Options
    I know a guy who works as an astrologer. He has taken account of Trump & Biden's time, date and place of birth details. He gives Trump a 51% chance of winning on November 3rd.
  • Options

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

1) no more Neocon wars

The case against Biden:
    1) he's past it

The recent decline in Russia's interventions abroad is probably related to the collapse in oil price. Russia is very much an oil economy now.
    Oil has been a big factor in recent months but it rose up to late 2018 and even then fell to just below levels when Trump was elected. However. the claim was Putin has massively increased his influence under Trump. It is not showing up in too many places bar Syria
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I know a guy who works as an astrologer. He has taken account of Trump & Biden's time, date and place of birth details. He gives Trump a 51% chance of winning on November 3rd.

Could we use him to set GCSE grades?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Is that correct?
    I don`t know for sure, but 61% getting the same as the center assessed grade, 35% geting one grade less and 4% more than one grade less sounds about right from what I`ve read.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Psychopaths shouldn`t be presidents. For that matter, how did one get anywhere near the Rep nomination in the first place?
    Now there's a question. Lots of answers, obvs, but I'd pick out the media as one of them. Intense relationship both ways, 24/7 fascination, great for ratings, they thought they were exploiting him but he knew he was exploiting them.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Is that correct?

Roughly speaking 60% of grades were what teachers gave out. 36% were adjusted by one grade, 4% by two or more.

Next week, it is expected to be 60% of grades adjusted, because the algorithm - which as we can see just by looking at the way it operates and the more or less random results it has been giving out, is deeply flawed, and will have less data to work with - is setting a higher percentage of them due to greater student numbers.

However, that is in fact less serious because it’s GCSEs and there is time to sort things out. As I said yesterday, A-levels are 24 hours of shit or bust.

Last Thursday, it was definitely shit.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2020
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Now there's a question. Lots of answers, obvs, but I'd pick out the media as one of them. Intense relationship both ways, 24/7 fascination, great for ratings, they thought they were exploiting him but he knew he was exploiting them.
    Absolutely. Trump is a full five-year media and communications course and Phd in himself. A French thinker like Baudrillard would say he's a culmination of endlessly reproduced spectacle overwhelming democratic routes and institutional accountability.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Psychopaths shouldn`t be presidents.

Or Prime Ministers (or their unsackable SPADs)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Debenhams will be missed but the big one would be M & S
    They will close stores but food will save them for sure.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Is that correct?

Roughly speaking 60% of grades were what teachers gave out. 36% were adjusted by one grade, 4% by two or more.

Next week, it is expected to be 60% of grades adjusted, because the algorithm - which as we can see just by looking at the way it operates and the more or less random results it has been giving out, is deeply flawed - is setting a higher percentage of them due to greater student numbers.
    ydoethur - can you provide a link to how the algorithm works? My assumption is that they are looking at last year (or maybe last three year?) average for each particular school and trying to replicate the grade pattern with the teacher submitted pupil ranking order. I suppose it`s more complicated than that?

Secondly, my daughter is SEN pupil (dyslexia) and is entitled to extra exam time - has this been filtered into the system anywhere - either in the algorithm or in the teacher rankings?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

nichomar said:

Fishing said:

Stocky said:

Fishing said:

MaxPB said:

Fishing said:

nichomar said:

Is there any data on imported Covid cases and fro which countries, would be good to have this published to support the quarantine requirements.

It'll be insignificant I imagine. The only data I recall is from March, when it accounted for 0.5% of cases. And that was when entry was unrestricted.
    No it wasn't, it was a huge source of ongoing infection. The academics were wrong about quarantine and Priti Patel was right, overruling her is going to look very bad during the investigation.
    Evidence?
    You may be disgreeing about different things.

Originally the virus came to us 100% from abroad via travellers. That much is obvious - it didn`t blow over here. But once it multiplied significantly here the vast majority of further infections came by transmission within the country not from abroad.

Hence, the argument for grounding planes was valid right at the start, but quickly became less valid.
    I don't think we are, because MaxPB said it was a huge "ongoing" source of infections.

But if we are, then I agree. Quarantine may have stopped the virus in January/February, though it wasn't politically feasible then. Also, as we don't really bother to enforce it here, even that's questionable.
    This https://virological.org/t/preliminary-analysis-of-sars-cov-2-importation-establishment-of-uk-transmission-lineages/507

By the time we locked down, it was too late. It would have been effective to close the borders before February half term (any later would have just stranded hundreds of thousand of Brits abroad). I suspect this is driving current policy. Spain had over 7,000 new cases yesterday, and France about 3,000.
    Still the odds of getting infected are low especially if you follow the rules. I’d like to know how many have imported the virus in the last few weeks?
    What do you mean? If a person was abroad in the last few weeks in a country with a lower new infection rate than the UK then the "imported" infection will be lower, on average, than if that same person had stayed in the UK.
    I have been told that the emphasis on travel *now* is because when you get to a certain level of community infection, re-introduction from abroad goes from being noise in the data, to a major factor.
    Who told you that? That makes no sense. It doesn`t matter whether a new infection is foreign or home-grown. Infection in a particular community will be affected by a newly infected person in that community - whether the the new infection came from within that community, from another part of the UK or from Timbuktu.
    Perhaps with some there is a feeling that a disease caught in foreign parts and imported here is just that little bit worse than something homegrown.

British bugs for British people.
    It is rather simple really - if the community infection rate is high, the introductions from abroad is noise.

If the community infection rate drops, but the introduction rate doesn't drop much, then it becomes more significant.
    Yes. That sounds logical. I was about to launch into an analogy with internationalism vs "socialism in one country" - Trotsky vs Stalin- but all will be disappointed to hear that on second thoughts I won't be.
    If you look at everything through your political biases, then you will miss a great deal.

For example, everyone looking at the MidEast peace deal is trying to frame it as another fuck up by Trump. Because most people don't like him.

The real question is - what is Israel and the UAE getting out of this? Trump is just a bystander. He may try and grab credit, but he didn't drive this.
    Agreed. Which is why I don't and thus miss nothing. :smile:

Trump and the "Deal", also agree. It may be serious and good or serious and bad or just a load of nothing much except smoke and mirrors - dunno, above my paygrade - but he will indeed and undoubtedly be a passenger only. He is not capable of driving anything other than ill-informed and divisive discourse.
    No, he is capable of driving such things - his relationship with the current Saudi Government, for example. Which is a serious cause for concern.

Just because he is a loathsome fool, doesn't make him incapable of doing anything.
    I meant "driving" as in plotting out and navigating a complex geopolitical journey with a destination in the interests of the American people and of the wider world. That is (sadly) no can do. And (even more sadly) no want to do. But I do totally agree that he is capable of creeping around the assholes of other autocrats. Loves a "Strongman". Thinks he is one. And yes, that is a matter of serious concern.
    Yes, I think his relative harmlessness in foreign affairs is down mainly to the fact that he doesn't actually do a great deal. He lacks the drive, the intensity and above all he lacks a clear and coherent plan. In this respect I've always regarded him much more of a Mussolini* than a Hitler, an extemporising bullshitter rather than a vindictive zealot.

*Not that I wish to see him end up like Benito. I have nothing against lampposts.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

slade said:

nichomar said:

slade said:

nichomar said:

slade said:

Charles said:

Voting by mail is not done inalienable democratic right. The Dems are pushing it for partisan reasons (and the GOP are resisting it for the same reason)

Limitations on the number of polling stations is far more serious from a democratic perspective. There is no reasonable argument that can be made as to why that might be acceptable.

I remember a local council election where the (LibDem) town council decided to move some of the polling stations AND "save money" by not sending out polling cards or informing residents of where they'd moved the stations to. People were supposed to read the announcement in modest print affixed to a notice outside the town hall, or read the leaflets put out by parties. On the day, we had to put tellers at the "wrong" stations to redirect voters. It was a safe LD seat and they felt that other parties contesting it was an offensive waste of time and money.

Because it was a town council election and a safe seat, opponents were only midly outraged, and even amused at the effrontery. We teased the LDs about it for years, though. That sort of thing at the level of the US Presidency is less entertaining.
    This is not unusual. My town council is run by a group of independents. Despite the council being very wealthy they have decreed that by elections are too expensive and fill any vacancies by co-option.
    They can’t do that by choice they can only do it if nobody asks for an election which requires ten signatures. If no candidates are nominated then again they can co-opt
    We tried this. The Lib Dems asked for a by-election, the Independents put out a leaflet highlighting the costs of the election and won handsomely.
    That’s a failure of the local Lib Dems I’m afraid, if they have a record of year round campaigning and run a good election they should win. Most independents are con dependents and should be exposed as such. It does depend on your precept though, if it’s 5000/pa then spending 2000 on an election is excessive. We always used to budget for at least one by election each year so the cost was covered.
    It's a complicated story. When I moved in there were 10 Lib Dems, I Lab, and I Con. In 2003 it became 9 LD ( including me) and 3 Ind ( one of whom was a Lib Dem expelled from the party, and one a former Lab councillor). In 2007 it was 7 LD and 6 Ind, then the disaster of 2011 it was 11 Ind and 1 LD (me). Despite regular leafletting and canvassing we saw our vote slip away. I think one of the reasons ( and this affects Lab and Con as well) is the Independent line that we are controlled by 'the centre' and only the Independents can represent local people.
    Do the independents do a good job? Are they a cohesive group with a plan or "proper" independents. I've never lived in a place where independents have done well, I like the idea in principle but no idea how effective it would be in reality.
    Locally they seem to have merged with the Greens.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,300
    justin124 said:

kamski said:

Charles said:

What a bizarre and frankly antidemocratic comment. So many people rely on postal voting. You nay as well say the same about polling stations.

In the UK postal voting has not been a readily available option until fairly recent years - the 1990s I believe.Prior tothat any postal vote application had to be backed by a doctor's signature or a statement by the applicant that their job could require them to be absent on the day of an election. Those away on holiday had no entitlement to a postal vote.
    So things have got better since then. Unless, like the US Republican party, you think the fewer people voting, the better.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Trump was the perfect candidate for the twatter era. Or turn that around and say the twatter era was perfect for Trump.

Another aspect was that it was the failure of the GOP establishment which led to Trump.

There was a decade ago on PB an American GOP supporter called StarsAndStripes.

He was scornful of the idea that Trump could get nominated by the GOP and that if he did would suffer enormous defeat.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

How do you 'work' as an astrologer? Who pays someone for that - the Met Office?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

1) no more Neocon wars

The case against Biden:
    1) he's past it

Oil has been a big factor in recent months but it rose up to late 2018 and even then fell to just below levels when Trump was elected. However. the claim was Putin has massively increased his influence under Trump. It is not showing up in too many places bar Syria
    In addition to the oil price, Putin has big problems with Covid.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I cannot argue with that as it was always a disaster waiting to happen with Williamson in charge

I do understand it is quite wrong to give all pupils the teacher assessments this year if it is not normal practice, and of course ,while it is the popular choice, it may not be the correct choice as it stores up problems for future years

I do not know the perfect answer and it seems the Welsh government is having similar problems to England

However, if HMG had a competent Education Minister from the start it would have helped credibility but Williamson joins quite a number of ministers that are simply not upto the mark and need firing
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Debenhams will be missed but the big one would be M & S
    They will close stores but food will save them for sure.
    Debenhams going will assist M & S in the high street to be fair
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Reagan wasn't just an actor. He had a complex and surprisingly intellectual background - he wrote many of his own speeches over the years. The acting was just his career before he moved into politics full time. Where he became a popular and successful Governor of California for 2 terms.

As opposed to Trump. Who after a lifetime of staggering from one shitty business deal to another....

Reagan's Evil Empire speech, combined with Soviet paranoia, damn nearly caused World War 3.

Telling the truth does that sometimes.

Thank God for Gordievsky.
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

1) no more Neocon wars

The case against Biden:
    1) he's past it

In addition to the oil price, Putin has big problems with Covid.
    He solved them now he is vaccinating his population against covid !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited August 2020

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

nichomar said:

Fishing said:

Stocky said:

Fishing said:

MaxPB said:

Fishing said:

nichomar said:

Is there any data on imported Covid cases and fro which countries, would be good to have this published to support the quarantine requirements.

It'll be insignificant I imagine. The only data I recall is from March, when it accounted for 0.5% of cases. And that was when entry was unrestricted.
    No it wasn't, it was a huge source of ongoing infection. The academics were wrong about quarantine and Priti Patel was right, overruling her is going to look very bad during the investigation.
    Evidence?

Originally the virus came to us 100% from abroad via travellers. That much is obvious - it didn`t blow over here. But once it multiplied significantly here the vast majority of further infections came by transmission within the country not from abroad.

Hence, the argument for grounding planes was valid right at the start, but quickly became less valid.
    I don't think we are, because MaxPB said it was a huge "ongoing" source of infections.

But if we are, then I agree. Quarantine may have stopped the virus in January/February, though it wasn't politically feasible then. Also, as we don't really bother to enforce it here, even that's questionable.
    This https://virological.org/t/preliminary-analysis-of-sars-cov-2-importation-establishment-of-uk-transmission-lineages/507

By the time we locked down, it was too late. It would have been effective to close the borders before February half term (any later would have just stranded hundreds of thousand of Brits abroad). I suspect this is driving current policy. Spain had over 7,000 new cases yesterday, and France about 3,000.
    Still the odds of getting infected are low especially if you follow the rules. I’d like to know how many have imported the virus in the last few weeks?
    What do you mean? If a person was abroad in the last few weeks in a country with a lower new infection rate than the UK then the "imported" infection will be lower, on average, than if that same person had stayed in the UK.
    I have been told that the emphasis on travel *now* is because when you get to a certain level of community infection, re-introduction from abroad goes from being noise in the data, to a major factor.
    Who told you that? That makes no sense. It doesn`t matter whether a new infection is foreign or home-grown. Infection in a particular community will be affected by a newly infected person in that community - whether the the new infection came from within that community, from another part of the UK or from Timbuktu.
    Perhaps with some there is a feeling that a disease caught in foreign parts and imported here is just that little bit worse than something homegrown.

It is rather simple really - if the community infection rate is high, the introductions from abroad is noise.

If the community infection rate drops, but the introduction rate doesn't drop much, then it becomes more significant.
    Yes. That sounds logical. I was about to launch into an analogy with internationalism vs "socialism in one country" - Trotsky vs Stalin- but all will be disappointed to hear that on second thoughts I won't be.
    If you look at everything through your political biases, then you will miss a great deal.

For example, everyone looking at the MidEast peace deal is trying to frame it as another fuck up by Trump. Because most people don't like him.

The real question is - what is Israel and the UAE getting out of this? Trump is just a bystander. He may try and grab credit, but he didn't drive this.

Trump and the "Deal", also agree. It may be serious and good or serious and bad or just a load of nothing much except smoke and mirrors - dunno, above my paygrade - but he will indeed and undoubtedly be a passenger only. He is not capable of driving anything other than ill-informed and divisive discourse.
    No, he is capable of driving such things - his relationship with the current Saudi Government, for example. Which is a serious cause for concern.

Just because he is a loathsome fool, doesn't make him incapable of doing anything.
    I meant "driving" as in plotting out and navigating a complex geopolitical journey with a destination in the interests of the American people and of the wider world. That is (sadly) no can do. And (even more sadly) no want to do. But I do totally agree that he is capable of creeping around the assholes of other autocrats. Loves a "Strongman". Thinks he is one. And yes, that is a matter of serious concern.
    Yes, I think his relative harmlessness in foreign affairs is down mainly to the fact that he doesn't actually do a great deal. He lacks the drive, the intensity and above all he lacks a clear and coherent plan. In this respect I've always regarded him much more of a Mussolini* than a Hitler, an extemporising bullshitter rather than a vindictive zealot.

*Not that I wish to see him end up like Benito. I have nothing against lampposts.
    Gramsci says hello from the vindictive zealot front.

There's been a bit of a stushy about the R4 programme Great Lives because the historian Margaret MacMillan (who I usually have a bit of time for) chose Mussolini as her great life. I could see fascinating or interesting life, but great?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

nichomar said:

Fishing said:

Stocky said:

Fishing said:

MaxPB said:

Fishing said:

nichomar said:

Evidence?

Benny made the trains run on time whereas the overwhelming aspect of Trump is chaos.

Trump's natural role is as a third world dictator.
  • Options

Williamson joins quite a number of ministers that are simply not upto the mark and need firing

BoZo can't sack him.

That would be the first crack in the Dam of "never backdown, never explain, never apologise"

And if the notion catches hold that people can lose their job for being incompetent, well who knows where that could lead !

Better not to take that risk...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Is that correct?

Next week, it is expected to be 60% of grades adjusted, because the algorithm - which as we can see just by looking at the way it operates and the more or less random results it has been giving out, is deeply flawed, and will have less data to work with - is setting a higher percentage of them due to greater student numbers.

However, that is in fact less serious because it’s GCSEs and there is time to sort things out. As I said yesterday, A-levels are 24 hours of shit or bust.

As pupils normally take many more GCSEs than A levels, then presumably more individuals would be affected by the wonky algorithm.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Y2UJUhL74

Don't know if anyone has seen this but the whole video of the George Floyd death has been released. I believe this isn't the whole video but it's still useful context nonetheless.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Absolutely. Trump is a full five-year media and communications course and Phd in himself. A French thinker like Baudrillard would say he's a culmination of endlessly reproduced spectacle overwhelming democratic routes and institutional accountability.
    I agree with Baudrillard. Oh yes, what a sentence. Like that.

But this is right. He is above everything a Trash TV star and he has turned the presidency of the US into Trash TV.

Perfectly logical when you think about it.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Is that correct?

Next week, it is expected to be 60% of grades adjusted, because the algorithm - which as we can see just by looking at the way it operates and the more or less random results it has been giving out, is deeply flawed - is setting a higher percentage of them due to greater student numbers.
    ydoethur - can you provide a link to how the algorithm works? My assumption is that they are looking at last year (or maybe last three year?) average for each particular school and trying to replicate the grade pattern with the teacher submitted pupil ranking order. I suppose it`s more complicated than that?

Secondly, my daughter is SEN pupil (dyslexia) and is entitled to extra exam time - has this been filtered into the system anywhere - either in the algorithm or in the teacher rankings?
    1) This is a good article written by actual experts on the subject, not by the lowlifes at the DfE or Ofqual.

https://ffteducationdatalab.org.uk/2020/08/a-level-results-2020-how-have-grades-been-calculated/

2) It should have been part of the teacher rankings, but it will not have been used as part of the algorithm.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Williamson joins quite a number of ministers that are simply not upto the mark and need firing

BoZo can't sack him.

That would be the first crack in the Dam of "never backdown, never explain, never apologise"

And if the notion catches hold that people can lose their job for being incompetent, well who knows where that could lead !

Better not to take that risk...
    I fully expect a September reshuffle and it is noticeable that conservative back benchers are openly attacking HMG and which hopefully will lead to change

If not early 2021 should see letters going into the 1922 and if I was a conservative mp I would head the queue
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,701

slade said:

nichomar said:

slade said:

nichomar said:

slade said:

Charles said:

It depends on the Independent Group. Though for Town Councils remember that TCs have virtually no powers and tend to do the old Red Phone Box, 2 sets of swings and a local loo, and that's about it.

For District Councils, my favourite was the "Boston Bypass Independents".

Mansfield had an Independent Executive Mayor from 2002 to 2019. and was controlled by the Mansfield Independent for 3 of the 4 terms. I am not sure how well they have done, though much development and industrial growth has happened. But the Town Centre is not good.

Ashfield District next door is currently independent controlled since last year, but these are a coherent party not a tactically compiled ragbag. They have their roots in LibDems, split off because of reasons, and minus the recent nutty Libdem policies on Brexit. So far they seem to be doing OK to me on balance - town centre funding coming in and good ideas, plus amusing spatettes with the new red wall Tory MP.

A certain amount of "because we can" stuff from one or two Councillors. Personally I would take them over Tories or Labour at the moment.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Reagan wasn't just an actor. He had a complex and surprisingly intellectual background - he wrote many of his own speeches over the years. The acting was just his career before he moved into politics full time. Where he became a popular and successful Governor of California for 2 terms.

As opposed to Trump. Who after a lifetime of staggering from one shitty business deal to another....

Reagan's Evil Empire speech, combined with Soviet paranoia, damn nearly caused World War 3.

"Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Reagan in Berlin, 1987.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Is that correct?

As pupils normally take many more GCSEs than A levels, then presumably more individuals would be affected by the wonky algorithm.
    And many more pupils take GCSEs than A-levels.
  • Options

Don't know if anyone has seen this but the whole video of the George Floyd death has been released. I believe this isn't the whole video but it's still useful context nonetheless.

Pretty certain I saw it a week or more ago.
  • Options
    kamski said:

justin124 said:

kamski said:

Charles said:

What a bizarre and frankly antidemocratic comment. So many people rely on postal voting. You nay as well say the same about polling stations.

In the UK postal voting has not been a readily available option until fairly recent years - the 1990s I believe.Prior tothat any postal vote application had to be backed by a doctor's signature or a statement by the applicant that their job could require them to be absent on the day of an election. Those away on holiday had no entitlement to a postal vote.
    So things have got better since then. Unless, like the US Republican party, you think the fewer people voting, the better.
    Hard to see much evidence that it has improved turnout -

• Options

Did you have any thoughts on it?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    kinabalu said:

!! I'm not normally an authoritarian !! - let a thousand flowers bloom - but I'm afraid this is the only acceptable view on this one. And it really has nothing to do with left/right or lab/con or leave/remain or any of that stuff. Exorcising Trump and his baleful influence brings together all people of sound mind and good character. If you dissent from this assertion you are by definition missing at least one of those things.
    Very drole.
  • Options

The overwhelming impression is of stunning incompetence.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Afternoon all :)

A thoroughly depressing thread from @david_herdson for which, as always, many thanks.

Democracy relies on trust - the electorate puts its trust in the people for whom they vote (or its distrust of those for whom they vote against) but there is also the trust that politicians (however cynical we may be about them publicly and privately) are themselves democrats who will respect the wishes of the electorate and allow elections to take place freely and fairly.

That we are openly talking about the cynical manipulation of the electoral process basically puts Trump in the same camp as Lukashenko. I understand Trump's desire to remain in power - almost all politicians love the power and want to keep it though some (May, Major and Brown to name but three) cross a personal rubicon after which they would rather be anywhere else than 10 Downing Street.

Regrettably, a free and fair electoral process exists in name only in too many places - allegations of fraud are exaggerated to empower restricting the franchise and we see in too many countries pliant or scared or corrupt officials who, through shameless exercises in intimidation and chicanery, manipulate the electoral results to favour the incumbent.

If you believe in democracy, you have to respect the will of the people even if you don't like it. That's why I left the Party which I had supported and for which I had campaigned and argued for nearly 40 years. If you believe in democracy you have to allow the free and fair conduct of elections. Now, you might argue even in the freest and fairest of societies, money talks and money can buy votes and there's some truth in that but I don't believe in Britain you would ever have local council officers stuffing ballot boxes with pro-Government votes.

Unfortunately, we know that happens in some countries which claim to be democracies and whether such abuses of the principles of democracy are flagrant or subtle they have to be condoned by those closest to the incumbent leader, party or administration.

If you want the definition of true courage, it's to protest the flagrant abuse of your democracy in the knowledge armed police or soldiers will shoot you dead for having the temerity to have that opinion. We should applaud those protesting in Belarus and demand a new election with UN observers - perhaps the US election needs similar. I hope I never have to argue the same for UK elections but the temptation to condone the abuse of democracy in order to either keep the trappings of power for yourself or prevent them falling into the hands of another is powerful and for those with insufficiently robust characters too powerful.
  • Options

Shopping centre security guards. With guns.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I cannot argue with that as it was always a disaster waiting to happen with Williamson in charge

I do understand it is quite wrong to give all pupils the teacher assessments this year if it is not normal practice, and of course ,while it is the popular choice, it may not be the correct choice as it stores up problems for future years

I do not know the perfect answer and it seems the Welsh government is having similar problems to England

However, if HMG had a competent Education Minister from the start it would have helped credibility but Williamson joins quite a number of ministers that are simply not upto the mark and need firing
    I think that`s unfair BigG - and I say that as a parent who has a child going through this right now. What should Ofqual have done?

They decided on getting as accurate as possible teacher grade expectations for each pupil and to rank them league style. Then they matched that as best they could with the school`s historic performance. The result is grades that are consistent with previous years results so as to maintain their credibility (to give them "equal standing with normal years", as Ofqual says).

Those that are criticising are saying either 1) that this year`s results should NOT have equal standing, ie they should be higher or 2) the teacher rankings were wrong. If they are alleging 2) then this cannot be proven as subjective judgement is part of it and if Johnny was placed lower in the ranking that he deserved then it follows that Jimmy was higher in the ranking than he deserved.

The one reason I see for changing to the centre assessed grades is to sacrifice the equal standing with previous years aspect and go with equal standing with Scotland. I see it as a big problem that Scottish pupils have been massively advantaged versus others. Malcy will be at my throat any minute now.
  • Options

Ptretty shocking and disgusted by the cops' behavior.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

I think that`s unfair BigG - and I say that as a parent who has a child going through this right now. What should Ofqual have done?

They decided on getting as accurate as possible teacher grade expectations for each pupil and to rank them league style. Then they matched that as best they could with the school`s historic performance. The result is grades that are consistent with previous years results so as to maintain their credibility (to give them "equal standing with normal years", as Ofqual says).

Those that are criticising are saying either 1) that this year`s results should NOT have equal standing, ie they should be higher or 2) the teacher rankings were wrong. If they are alleging 2) then this cannot be proven as subjective judgement is part of it and if Johnny was placed lower in the ranking that he deserved then it follows that Jimmy was higher in the ranking than he deserved.

The one reason I see for changing to the centre assessed grades is to sacrifice the equal standing with previous years aspect and go with equal standing with Scotland. I see it as a big problem that Scottish pupils have been massively advantaged versus others. Malcy will be at my throat any minute now.
    The decision in Scotland was political and it must store up future problems on fairness

My main point is that Willamson has no street cred and just makes things worse.

This must have been foreseen and the decision to provide free appeals and have Nick Gibb to lead a task force should have been made at the time and not cobbled together days later by a panicking Williamson
  • Options

The initial approach is hamfisted to put it mildly. If you sitting in a car doing nothing obviously wrong and someone approaches from your blind side and taps sharply on the window you're going to be startled, and that's in this country where it is not common for people to carry guns.

It isn't obvious why the door has to be opened and the suspect told to show his hands. No obvious offence has been committed. The suspect could just as easily have been asked to lower the window to allow questioning.

Why was a gun pulled? The suspect was not being violent or showing indications of becomins so. (The suspect was not in fairness helping himself by his hysterical and erratic behaviour, and was contributing to an escalation.)

Th relevant bigger picture here is of undertrained and overarmed officers being sent out to enforce order in a population where guns are far too widely available and cooperation with the police far too problematic. If you send jerks into an explosive situation, this is what you get.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Trump was the perfect candidate for the twatter era. Or turn that around and say the twatter era was perfect for Trump.

Another aspect was that it was the failure of the GOP establishment which led to Trump.

He was scornful of the idea that Trump could get nominated by the GOP and that if he did would suffer enormous defeat.
    To my faint surprise we appear to be on the same page. And a confession. For all my opposition to Trump - and I yield to nobody in this - I am not immune to his pull. If he's on, I find it hard to not watch. When he's gone a bit of me will miss him. But that bit of me is not a bit I'm proud of or wish to feed. This is the essence of him imo. He appeals to everything in people that is mean and small and shallow and dumb. We are all to a greater or lesser extent like that and this - forget poll rigging, covid, the economy, all of that superficial stuff - is the real reason he cannot be counted out for 3/11.
  • Options

The initial approach is hamfisted to put it mildly. If you sitting in a car doing nothing obviously wrong and someone approaches from your blind side and taps sharply on the window you're going to be startled, and that's in this country where it is not common for people to carry guns.

It isn't obvious why the door has to be opened and the suspect told to show his hands. No obvious offence has been committed. The suspect could just as easily have been asked to lower the window to allow questioning.

Why was a gun pulled? The suspect was not being violent or showing indications of becomins so. (The suspect was not in fairness helping himself by his hysterical and erratic behaviour, and was contributing to an escalation.)

Th relevant bigger picture here is of undertrained and overarmed officers being sent out to enforce order in a population where guns are far too widely available and cooperation with the police far too problematic. If you send jerks into an explosive situation, this is what you get.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/police-gun-shooting-training-ferguson/383681/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    kamski said:

kamski said:

moonshine said:

Re Trump

Has anyone mentioned his diplomatic triumph of the Israel-UAE deal ?

I'm curious as to whether any PBers are big enough to admit Trump has done well in this case.

I did raise this in the context of what is generally a relatively favourable (and unquestionably quite benign) foreign policy record. To liberally paraphrase, the Brain Trust here conclude that only the “gullible” see this deal as good news and it’s actually all about setting up an anti Shia alliance to start world war 3 in Trump’s second term. Or something.

I hope Trump loses because I don’t like his undermining of democratic principles and personal conduct, which sets an appalling example to kids worldwide. But I don’t live in the US so am overall fairly ambivalent to the result if he delivers a second term roughly in keeping with his first with respect to China policy and the economy.

The very best thing about Trump losing now is it reduces the chances of an AOC presidency down the line.
    I would seriously question the idea that Trump's foreign policy has been "quite benign". So definitely not "unquestionably". Even without global overheating there is a lot to criticise in foreign policy terms.

When you take his pro catastrophic global overheating policies into account, his foreign policy is unquestionably by far the worst of any US president ever. There isn't going to be any kind of peaceful world if we carry on burning fossil fuels like Trump wants.
    Solar power is already competitive with fossil fuels without having to be subsided in many parts of the world and the article I linked to above suggests that it’s going to get substantially (about a third) better In the next few years.
    Wind generated power is on a similar track.
    This means that coal is rapidly turning into an expensive as well as dirty option which is the point where all the money grubbing capitalists abandon it without having to be told to.
    Not all of them - those that own coal plants and mines will be lobbying hard for taxes and regulation on renewables so that they can slow down the transition as much as possible, and make as much money as possible in the interim.

This process has already been seen in the US and Australia, with attempts to charge people with solar panels a tax to "support the electricity grid" - aka subsidise coal.
    And this is only about electricity generation. People are still *buying* diesel and petrol vehicles, for example, by the millions.
    Leaving it to the industrialists is one of the most stupid ideas I've seen on here. Leaving it to the industrialists has got us to the terrible situation we are in today, 30 years after the science of global warming was clear and almost no progress made since. Even US emissions are higher than in 1990, the country that should be leading the way.

We basically need to decarbonise extremely rapidly to have a reasonable chance of avoiding catastrophe. This is just not going to happen quickly enough without strong political action.
    The need for large government economic stimuli might just give the required impetus for such action.
    Which is massively more likely under Biden than Trump.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

!! I'm not normally an authoritarian !! - let a thousand flowers bloom - but I'm afraid this is the only acceptable view on this one. And it really has nothing to do with left/right or lab/con or leave/remain or any of that stuff. Exorcising Trump and his baleful influence brings together all people of sound mind and good character. If you dissent from this assertion you are by definition missing at least one of those things.
    Very drole.
    But I'm NOT an authoritarian. The only poster I have ever cancelled on here is Philip - and that's only twice, and only for 48 hours each time, and only after the severest provocation when he succumbed to extreme levels of Brownophobia and Borisphilia.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793
    Some Belarusian paratroops siding with the protestors:

https://twitter.com/CarmenOfficial_/status/1294648144601415682?s=09
  • Options
    Ydoethur - what constitutes a valid mock.

Have you seen this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/appeals-based-on-mock-exams
  • Options
    PA Media: "Meghan ‘devastated’ to return and see state of US". Reading this report, there can no longer be any doubt about her intended direction of travel. How could she (or Harry) ever imagine that such outspoken political statements could ever have remotely enabled them to continue as any part of the Royal family? A 100% split from The Firm following their 12 month trial period now appears the only realistic option.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Is that correct?

And many more pupils take GCSEs than A-levels.
    More importantly there is a social/class issue. Not every 18 year old takes A Levels.
    Almost every 16 year old takes GCSEs.
    Also. What happens regarding needing a pass at English and Maths or resit during Sixth Form?
    Can see that heightening grievances, with 2 pupils from the same class, both predicted a pass, one down graded and having to spend year 12 repeating English and Maths GCSE, the other free to concentrate fully on A Levels.
    With neither of them having had the chance to prove or disprove the legitimacy of their lot.
  • Options

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/police-gun-shooting-training-ferguson/383681/
    Thanks, that does highlight some of the issues, but they run very deep and wide.
  • Options

Have you read Malcolm Gladwell, Talking to Strangers?
  • Options

justin124 said:

I am not personally into astrology - but nor am I totally dismissive. This guy is no fool and draws up detailed astrological charts for customers based on their time and place of birth. He seems to make a good living from it.
  • Options

Many US police forces have an IQ (or equivalent) test as part of the application. If you get too high a score you are rejected.

I wish this were a joke, but it is not.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CoK4MEI43vI
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Have you read Malcolm Gladwell, Talking to Strangers?
    No, is it good?

Nearest I've ever come to having to deal with this kind of situation is fifteen years as a soccer referee. Mind you, I remember a fellow ref pointing out to me that one person in twenty is a psychopath so on a field of 22 players....

Then again very few footballers carry guns.
  • Options

No, is it good?

Nearest I've ever come to having to deal with this kind of situation is fifteen years as a soccer referee. Mind you, I remember a fellow ref pointing out to me that one person in twenty is a psychopath so on a field of 22 players....

Yes.

It's about all kinds of interactions between people, but it starts and ends with a cop pulling a woman over on a routine stop, and her committing suicide the next day

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/business/malcolm-gladwell-talking-to-strangers.html
  • Options
    Utter madness and eco vandalism from the EU

https://twitter.com/GaiaFawkes/status/1294580050281533440?s=19
  • Options

Fishing said:

"Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Reagan in Berlin, 1987.
    Your point being?
  • Options

Many US police forces have an IQ (or equivalent) test as part of the application. If you get too high a score you are rejected.

Lol! Illuminating. I remember being told that in France you were unlikely to be allowed into the police if you were too smart. Didn't know it applied in the US too.

As a student working on a gas station in San Francisco many years ago I remember becoming acquainted with a number of the local cops. They were far from dumb, but they did tend to regard themselves as 'hired guns'.

That same summer I drove across the States and was stopped one night by a couple of cops in a small town in Nebraska. I've met more intelligent cows.

More recently I've been pulled over in NY State a couple of times. The word arrogance springs to mind rather than stupidity. Guess i t depends where you are.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Have you seen this?

The last criterion was the one I was worried about as we have not retained the scripts. Just wanting the marks and not the papers makes it a lot more likely that schools will be able to do this.

The one part that may be a problem is the way the marks are translated into grades: I would think many schools to make an adjustment to allow for the expected improvement between the mock and the real thing.

One thing I’m hoping this will do is make it much easier to convince future Y11 students to take their mocks seriously...
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Stocky said:

Have you seen this?

The last criterion was the one I was worried about as we have not retained the scripts. Just wanting the marks and not the papers makes it a lot more likely that schools will be able to do this.

The one part that may be a problem is the way the marks are translated into grades: I would think many schools to make an adjustment to allow for the expected improvement between the mock and the real thing.

One thing I’m hoping this will do is make it much easier to convince future Y11 students to take their mocks seriously...
    My daughter`s schools just gave her grades - not marks. We have a Mock Exam certificate, issued back in January. I didn`t know about the "marks translated into grades" thing that you mention. That is concerning - as on second reading it does say marks not grades.

Edit: but then again - higher up it says "mock grade".
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

No, is it good?

Yes.

It's about all kinds of interactions between people, but it starts and ends with a cop pulling a woman over on a routine stop, and her committing suicide the next day

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/business/malcolm-gladwell-talking-to-strangers.html
    Is it UK or US-based? I have to say in my engagements with the police in this country they have been almost invariably polite and supportive.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Life tip - don't go to Sicily in the middle of a heatwave. It's 34 degrees today and that's the coolest it has been so far.
  • Options

Is it UK or US-based? I have to say in my engagements with the police in this country they have been almost invariably polite and supportive.

US
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Life tip - don't go to Sicily in the middle of a heatwave. It's 34 degrees today and that's the coolest it has been so far.

You lucky thing - I envy you. Chucking it down here.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

Not the EU but administrative incompetence within Ireland.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Stocky said:

MaxPB said:

Don't it's absolutely fucking terrible. Life sappingly hot. We drove to the beach near Siracusa today, it's the only thing to do to stay cool other than staying in the hotel room where there is AC.
  • Options

Lol! Illuminating. I remember being told that in France you were unlikely to be allowed into the police if you were too smart. Didn't know it applied in the US too.

As a student working on a gas station in San Francisco many years ago I remember becoming acquainted with a number of the local cops. They were far from dumb, but they did tend to regard themselves as 'hired guns'.

That same summer I drove across the States and was stopped one night by a couple of cops in a small town in Nebraska. I've met more intelligent cows.

More recently I've been pulled over in NY State a couple of times. The word arrogance springs to mind rather than stupidity. Guess i t depends where you are.
    I think another problem is the huge number of different police forces. In the UK we have 48; in the US (with admittedly five times the population) they have just under 18 thousand. As there are about 800,000 police officers, this means the mean police force has fewer than 50 officers.
  • Options

You have to say though , given he had been through it all before , knew cops are scared and shoot first , why did he not just stick his hands on the steering wheel and then all of the struggling and not getting in the cop car , does not excuse the cops over the top behaviour but he would be alive today if he had just got in the police car.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,308

Will the bombshell video reveal Priti to have a droplet of the milk of human kindness? Political reputation destroyed in an instant.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1294607887956934656?s=20

I'm all of a sudden warming to Priti.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360

justin124 said:

My uncle did it for many years - lots of clients paid him for his services - though he's now not well enough to pursue it. FWIW he's perfectly sincere - a very religious man, he believes that the position of the stars indicate the wishes of the Almighty.
  • Options

I think another problem is the huge number of different police forces. In the UK we have 48; in the US (with admittedly five times the population) they have just under 18 thousand. As there are about 800,000 police officers, this means the mean police force has fewer than 50 officers.
    I did say elsewhere that he didn't help himself and contributed to the escalation.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Stocky said:

MaxPB said:

And I envy you. 4th consecutive day of fog. With this virus about its like living in a Stephen King novel.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

MaxPB said:

blue sky and sunshine in Ayrshire, hard to keep the beer cold when opened.
  • Options

Didn't know that. Again it helps to understand how dreadful incidents like the Floyd killing happen.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Carnyx said:

Not the EU but administrative incompetence within Ireland.
    Always try to pin it on the EU, they will be stuffed in UK next year when they cannot blame everything on the EU. They will try to blame Labour instead.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

MaxPB said:

blue sky and sunshine in Ayrshire, hard to keep the beer cold when opened.
    I preferred you when you were being mean
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Have you seen this?

My daughter`s schools just gave her grades - not marks. We have a Mock Exam certificate, issued back in January. I didn`t know about the "marks translated into grades" thing that you mention. That is concerning - as on second reading it does say marks not grades.

Edit: but then again - higher up it says "mock grade".
    The school should have a record of what her mark actually was even if they didn’t tell her.

• Options
    edited August 2020

Yes, but there are other factors that make up Trump. He is best seen as the logical culmination of several trends that go back decades in western democracies, and America in particular:

- the devaluation of experience at the top of government, i.e. denying that you benefit from expertise
    - identity politics and its associated fostering of grievance
    - the dumbing down of debate through the shortening of attention spans through first TV, then social media
    - the toleration of rampant back-scratching and corruption
    - the relentless focus on personalities and not issues.

If you take those five trends together, you have President Trump.

And, for the record, we're on the same road on many of those trends over here. Hence that moron Corbyn.
This discussion has been closed.