Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Going postal: Could a Democrat victory end up lost in the post

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Going postal: Could a Democrat victory end up lost in the post?

This is why Trump is trying to stop the US Postal Service from processing ballot papers:The partisan split in how Americans would like to vote is immense.– 17% who back Trump prefer to vote by mail– 58% who back Biden prefer the mail option. pic.twitter.com/notTbOjOVu

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I wonder whether the polling is being distorted by GOP backers thinking it is disloyal to The Donald to say they vote by post
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited August 2020
    Which details of the US constitution, if any, apply to postal voting?
  • Options
    Off Topic - Apols

***** Betting Post *****

After his great comeback to win last night, Ronnie O'Sullivan looks to have a great chance of winning SPOTY this year (assuming the annual award ceremony goes ahead after all the sporting disruption), especially at Wm. Hill's incredible stand-out odds of 8/1, which I very much doubt will last beyond breakfast in a couple of hours time!
    This price is fully 60% better than the next best odds available of 5/1 and more than double BetVictor's 7/2, whilst on the Betfair Exchange he's on offer at 3.8/1 net.
    DYOR, but be quick if you want to get on at this price.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    QTWTAIN
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    edited August 2020

Off Topic - Apols

***** Betting Post *****

After his great comeback to win last night, Ronnie O'Sullivan looks to have a great chance of winning SPOTY this year (assuming the annual award ceremony goes ahead after all the sporting disruption), especially at Wm. Hill's incredible stand-out odds of 8/1, which I very much doubt will last beyond breakfast in a couple of hours time!
    This price is fully 60% better than the next best odds available of 5/1 and more than double BetVictor's 7/2, whilst on the Betfair Exchange he's on offer at 3.8/1 net.

Now 5/1 with Hills :(

ETA 9/1 with Ladbrokes :smile:
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Voting by mail is not done inalienable democratic right. The Dems are pushing it for partisan reasons (and the GOP are resisting it for the same reason)

Limitations on the number of polling stations is far more serious from a democratic perspective. There is no reasonable argument that can be made as to why that might be acceptable.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Good morning, everyone.

Not great cleaning up dog vomit first thing, but nice to see that tip.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Charles said:

Voting by mail is not done inalienable democratic right. The Dems are pushing it for partisan reasons (and the GOP are resisting it for the same reason)

Limitations on the number of polling stations is far more serious from a democratic perspective. There is no reasonable argument that can be made as to why that might be acceptable.

Actually Covid-19 might provide cover for restrictions on in-person voting, and even in the best years there can be hours-long queues.

The new Trump-appointed USPS boss is actively reducing capacity. That's the problem.
  • Options
    Strange how in relative terms, it is the elderly, Conservative vote in the UK which tends to vote by post, a symptom perhaps of "Shy Toryism". By comparison, in the U.S. postal-voting Democrats outweigh their Republican counterparts almost three and a half times. I wonder whether these numbers might even up somewhat this year as voters generally and especially the elderly are reluctant to expose themselves unnecessarily to the risks of contracting Covid-19, opting instead to vote by post. Of course, this would be likely to exacerbate U.S.P.S.'s problems as described by David Herdson still further.
  • Options
    From David Herdson's [sic] OP: The best options are to target the early stages of the process: skew the electoral roll to your advantage

Fortunately for pb I am too busy with the racing and @peter_from_putney's RoS SPotY tip to rehash Cameron & Osborne's (now partly abandoned) gerrymandering scheme around boundary reviews on purged registers.
  • Options

Off Topic - Apols

***** Betting Post *****

Now 5/1 with Hills :(

ETA 9/1 with Ladbrokes :smile:
    Many thanks for highlighting Laddies' 9/1 odds against Ronnie O'S winning SPOTY 2020, which are STILL available. I missed these best odds on account of the fact that Ladbrokes no longer feature in Oddschecker's comparison tables, more's the pity.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    Charles said:

What a bizarre and frankly antidemocratic comment. So many people rely on postal voting. You nay as well say the same about polling stations.

• Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 407

Strange how in relative terms, it is the elderly, Conservative vote in the UK which tends to vote by post, a symptom perhaps of "Shy Toryism".

Two seconds' real campaigning reveal "Shy Toryism" (if it exists at all) has nothing to do with why more Tories have a postal vote than their rivals.

They're organised, so they routinely have a postal vote available, in case voting on the day proves tricky. They're comfortably off, so they're more likely to be up the Amazon, or on the ski slopes, on polling day. They're older, so less likely to want to be out. And, though living longer, they're sicklier - so may well be housebound on the day.

The huge difference between the UK and US over all this, though, is that:
    - America's preposterously small number of polling stations makes physical voting very difficult for people doing several jobs to make ends meet: they very probably won't have hours on the day to stand in a queue. So the Dems' core have a really strong argument for postal voting
    - USPS has shown stellar incompetence (and criminal underfunding)for decades.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

From David Herdson's [sic] OP: The best options are to target the early stages of the process: skew the electoral roll to your advantage

Fortunately for pb I am too busy with the racing and @peter_from_putney's RoS SPotY tip to rehash Cameron & Osborne's (now partly abandoned) gerrymandering scheme around boundary reviews on purged registers.

Yes, I think David is in a bit of a glass house here. The ultimate proof of Cameron’s intentions regarding voter registration was the extension to the deadline for the EU referendum. He thought that would be to his advantage.

As it happens I doubt those registration changes made much difference, but Cameron clearly thought it would help him.
  • Options
    Voter suppression is how Trump wins in November, so obviously he and the Republicans will do all they can to ensure it happens. And given their control of the judiciary, they are likely to get away with it. The US is not a fully functioning democracy.

Of course, once the UK government curtails judicial review, we will embark upon the same course over here.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141

Strange how in relative terms, it is the elderly, Conservative vote in the UK which tends to vote by post, a symptom perhaps of "Shy Toryism". By comparison, in the U.S. postal-voting Democrats outweigh their Republican counterparts almost three and a half times. I wonder whether these numbers might even up somewhat this year as voters generally and especially the elderly are reluctant to expose themselves unnecessarily to the risks of contracting Covid-19, opting instead to vote by post. Of course, this would be likely to exacerbate U.S.P.S.'s problems as described by David Herdson still further.

I don't think this was traditionally the case - IIUC postal voting in the US was pretty much partisan-neutral. Trump's turned it into a partisan issue, and that's turned his supporters against it and his opponents for it.

As ever with Trump, it's really hard to tell whether it's audacious low cunning or a confused old man hitting buttons at random.

On the one hand maybe it's some cunning bit of low politics where he has a plan to attack in-person voting with Portland-style federal goons, and/or he wants to get Dem votes counted separately so that he can claim he was robbed and fight the election in the courts or in the streets.

On the other hand, maybe he just saw something about Dems wanting postal voting on Fox News and reflexively turned against it, and he's inadvertently disfranchized his own elderly supporters who despite his best efforts are going to stay at home for fear of the rona.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Flanner said:

Strange how in relative terms, it is the elderly, Conservative vote in the UK which tends to vote by post, a symptom perhaps of "Shy Toryism".

Two seconds' real campaigning reveal "Shy Toryism" (if it exists at all) has nothing to do with why more Tories have a postal vote than their rivals.

They're organised, so they routinely have a postal vote available, in case voting on the day proves tricky. They're comfortably off, so they're more likely to be up the Amazon, or on the ski slopes, on polling day. They're older, so less likely to want to be out. And, though living longer, they're sicklier - so may well be housebound on the day.

The huge difference between the UK and US over all this, though, is that:
    - America's preposterously small number of polling stations makes physical voting very difficult for people doing several jobs to make ends meet: they very probably won't have hours on the day to stand in a queue. So the Dems' core have a really strong argument for postal voting
    - USPS has shown stellar incompetence (and criminal underfunding)for decades.

We maintain our postal votes purely as an insurance policy, and invariably hand deliver the ballots to the polling station as a matter of principle.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Charles said:

What a bizarre and frankly antidemocratic comment. So many people rely on postal voting. You nay as well say the same about polling stations.

That’s the elite for you!

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

It’s a bit of a myth that the postal vote in the UK is heavily biased toward the Tories. If there is a bias it is, nowadays, pretty small.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,930
    I, personally, don't like postal voting very much. I prefer the ritual of walking, or sometimes, but rarely, driving to a polling station to cast my vote. I don't recall having to queue to vote, for more than a few minutes anyway and even in my political campaigning days only saw one or two queues.
    My mother and her sister, who lived with us, had been 'flapper' voters who remembered getting the right to vote and both regarded it as a duty to not only vote but to be seen to do so. Possibly the latter because they were the daughters of one of bigger farmers in the area where they lived.
  • Options
    Not doing this myself, but there was a lay value of 6 on O'Sullivan when I checked Betfair earlier, so if you're being cautious you could just back the 10 on Ladbrokes, hedge on Betfair and be green either way.
  • Options
    Of course Trump is going to do *everything* he can to try and rig the election. Never mind the abuse of the postal service he will have armed militia "guard" polling stations to deter "fraud".
  • Options
    One other big difference between the UK and the US is the number of elections they have. In the UK it is unusual to have to vote for more than one thing at a time, and I can’t remember the last time I was handed more than two separate ballots.

In November voters will be electing not just the President but a member of Congress, one third will be electing Senators, there will be State versions of the same, country or city level politicians and also a variety of other elected officials such as judges and sheriffs. The act of voting thus takes much longer and it also helps explain why the counting takes so long if all these are on a single ballot paper.
    Despite its many pitfalls you can understand why some Americans like electronic voting as a way of speeding the whole thing up.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    kamski said:

Charles said:

Polling stations are the other prong of the attack.

Reduce polling station frequency in Dem wards, and restricting postal voting that could offset the first issue is heading down the Belarusian road.

Ignore counting votes cast in Dem areas and we have a full house.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    On the optics, what Trump is doing really doesn't seem clever. You can't run on "Make America Great Again" then right when everyone's deciding whether to reelect you they have to worry that the nation is no longer able to deliver letters. I mean, it's like the classic federal government thing in the American cultural mythology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxj3XE5lELc
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Speaking of Republican control of the judiciary, it’s currently a 5-4 split to the Republicans, with Trump making two appointees.

If he wins again (and has control of Congress) he’s going have a reasonable shout of making the balance 7-2, given Clinton’s two appointees are 82 and 87.

This alone should be enough to make the Bernie Bros turn out for Biden but whether they’re paying attention is another question.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    kamski said:

Charles said:

It must be a great comfort to rich old white men of privilege everywhere to know that our Chaz will always be ready to die on a cross for them and their interests.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Charles said:

There is no real distinction between the two things when a combination of restricted numbers of polling stations in particular areas and a pandemic render voting is person a long and hazardous process.

And you insouciant attitude towards postal voting isn’t exactly democratic.
    Labelling attempts to retain the ability to vote by post as partisan in the same way as attempts too sabotage that ability is otiose.
  • Options

See also Florida (where a 75% vote in a referendum to enfranchise ex felons has been illegally ignored), and Georgia.
  • Options
    I think David indemnified the single most worrying point, which is what happens in the days between the initial projections post vote and the tardy completion of the count in the less organised and/or larger states.
    If the election is anywhere near close, there is a very strong chance of Trump trying to steal it, and he has a cynical and hyper partisan Attorney General to assist in that.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    edited August 2020
    Off topic: exams. This is a good read:

https://dfemedia.blog.gov.uk/2020/08/14/misleading-a-level-claims-debunked/

Our daughter`s GCSE results arrive next week and I think we are more anxious than she is. Can`t wait for next week to be over.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I wonder whether the polling is being distorted by GOP backers thinking it is disloyal to The Donald to say they vote by post

I think the NY-27 special election shows the postal vote split is very real. GOPers are genuinely not voting by post.

The day after the NY-27 election the GOP candidate had 68.7% and the Dem candidate 28.7%

Once all the votes were counted (which took a long time due to the huge number of postal votes) the final result was

GOP: 51.8%
    Dem: 45.5%
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

kamski said:

Charles said:

It must be a great comfort to rich old white men of privilege everywhere to know that our Chaz will always be ready to die on a cross for them and their interests.
    The polling booth`s democratic beauty is that no-one can look over your shoulder, hold your pen, or intimidate you whilst you put your cross by the candidate of your choice. Also, the vibe of the polling station - the feeling that you are doing something really important and have given your choice careful considersation beforehand. All this cannot be replicated by postal voting. For some, voting by post is the only choice, but this process should be minimised.

This year special circumstances though, I admit. Tricky.
    As pointed out above, you’ve clearly not encountered a US ballot paper. For those genuinely interested in the downticket, it can take quite some time to fill in.
    And the vibe of the polling station tend to pall after the first couple of hours standing in a queue.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Trump is approaching democracy in the same way he approached business. How anyone here remotely defends or provides cover for what he is up to is beyond me. I am looking at you Charles. Trump is beneath whatever foul bile lurks beneath contempt. He needs to be defeated. Trump's brand of skulduggery will take all the energy and ingenuity that the Dems and decent people possess. I give them at best a 50:50 chance.

Meanwhile our government, which has its own taste for skulduggery, is moving through the gears from shambolic to a down right bone fide basket case. How anyone can support it is quite beyond me at the moment. Again, Labour has a ton of work to do to pull itself out of the abyss it dug itself into and being in a position to win.

Bad times.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

kamski said:

Charles said:

The polling booth`s democratic beauty is that no-one can look over your shoulder, hold your pen, or intimidate you whilst you put your cross by the candidate of your choice. Also, the vibe of the polling station - the feeling that you are doing something really important and have given your choice careful considersation beforehand. All this cannot be replicated by postal voting. For some, voting by post is the only choice, but this process should be minimised.

As pointed out above, you’ve clearly not encountered a US ballot paper. For those genuinely interested in the downticket, it can take quite some time to fill in.
    And the vibe of the polling station tend to pall after the first couple of hours standing in a queue.
    You are right, I was reflecting on the UK system only. The same democratic principles must hold though. The queueing at polling booths in the States is outrageous - a clear disincentive to vote. I guess we are lucky having so many polling stations in the UK (village halls etc).
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    Jonathan said:

Meanwhile our government, which has its own taste for skulduggery, is moving through the gears from shambolic to a down right bone fide basket case. How anyone can support it is quite beyond me at the moment.

Max Hasting in the Times this morning is lamenting that sycophancy has replaced talent in cabinet
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

kamski said:

Charles said:

Not such a pleasant experience when the NRA and Ku Klux Klan are "monitoring" polling stations armed with automatic weapons.

Well I'm not such a big fan of Biden anyway, best to stay away.
  • Options
    Clearly there is an agenda afoot, but it really shouldn't be difficult to ensure that postal ballots reach the locations where they are to be counted however poor the USPS might be.

As with voting machines and hanging chads the US seem to delight in making their electoral systems as complicated as possible. Why are postal votes accepted after the date of the election for example?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

kamski said:

Charles said:

And knowing that after all that in 90% of the constituencies your vote means bugger all unless you vote for one of the two corrupt so called big parties.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Trump is approaching democracy in the same way he approached business. How anyone here remotely defends or provides cover for what he is up to is beyond me. I am looking at you Charles. Trump is beneath whatever foul bile lurks beneath contempt. He needs to be defeated. Trump's brand of skulduggery will take all the energy and ingenuity that the Dems and decent people possess. I give them at best a 50:50 chance.

Meanwhile our government, which has its own taste for skulduggery, is moving through the gears from shambolic to a down right bone fide basket case. How anyone can support it is quite beyond me at the moment. Again, Labour has a ton of work to do to pull itself out of the abyss it dug itself into and being in a position to win.

Bad times.

"How anyone here remotely defends or provides cover for [Trump]?" Hmm. It`s a head-scratcher that one - the loathsome manchild-toad that he is.

Can anyone shed any light? The only thing I can think of is that would dissuade me from voting for Biden with relish is the "taking the knee" stuff and a general concern about a wokey direction - but I`m less concerned about that than I would be if it wasn`t Biden.

Trump has to go. It`s crucial.
  • Options

Clearly there is an agenda afoot, but it really shouldn't be difficult to ensure that postal ballots reach the locations where they are to be counted however poor the USPS might be.

As with voting machines and hanging chads the US seem to delight in making their electoral systems as complicated as possible. Why are postal votes accepted after the date of the election for example?

The other angle to this is that the state deadlines often hearken back to a bygone era when American was much greater than it currently is, and they were genuinely capable of delivering letters much faster. See this tweet (and the followups):

https://twitter.com/nbeaudrot/status/1294228297811779585
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Palatial betting? All very grand now.

As for the article it's almost too depressing to comment. I remember feeling very shocked but heartened to see so many African Americans queuing for what seemed like hours to vote in 2004. It made the result doubly disappointing.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Thanks for the header, David. Timely given what Robert Reich was tweeting last night.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

kamski said:

Charles said:

You are right, I was reflecting on the UK system only. The same democratic principles must hold though. The queueing at polling booths in the States is outrageous - a clear disincentive to vote. I guess we are lucky having so many polling stations in the UK (village halls etc).
    I do prefer voting in person too, FWIW.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 407

One other big difference between the UK and the US is the number of elections they have... The act of voting thus takes much longer and it also helps explain why the counting takes so long if all these are on a single ballot paper.

But they're not on a single ballot paper, and in Britain it's common to send different ballot papers to different places to count. Every County election where I live coincides with a small raft of local council votes: the local papers go to the Constituency seat and the County papers go to a central County counting centre. Both are over and announced within 24 hours of the polls closing.

Britain does this efficiently for the same reason Royal Mail works and USPS doesn't. Our culture encourages us to grumble about government incompetence to make someone do something about it. The US culture (in a trait followed mindlessly by a distressing number of PB contributors) encourages Americans to grumble about government incompetence to prove attempts at reform are doomed to failure. This lunacy afflicts both parties

USPS is being asked to get fewer ballot papers out and back by November 3 than the number of Xmas cards they routinely deliver by December 25. In any other walk of US life, it'd be intolerable for an organisation to assume failure on this scale three months in advance.

If USPS can't cope, wouldn't you expect safeish Dem states like CA and NY to be subcontracting ballot paper delivery to Amazon right now (as even plonkers like Grayling would be doing here)? Why aren't they? Because it suits the Dems to scream "voter suppression".

Why is no "liberal" US medium demanding a delivery Plan B? Why isn't a publicity obsessive like Bezos or the head honcho of Fedex publicly offering to step in?

Because the inevitability of government failure is brainwashed into ALL Americans.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2020
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163

I don't know off hand, but I'm guessing the answer is that much of US electoral law remains unchanged since the days when the reason there is a two month administration handover is so the messages could all be delivered by horse across the vast country and so on.
  • Options
    Interesting post, Mr. Max. Any stats/graphs etc on the GDP decline, regarding the quarterly splits perhaps meaning the drop was spread across two quarters in other European countries but focused in just one here? [We discussed this briefly the other day and I was interested to find out more].
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Interesting post, Mr. Max. Any stats/graphs etc on the GDP decline, regarding the quarterly splits perhaps meaning the drop was spread across two quarters in other European countries but focused in just one here? [We discussed this briefly the other day and I was interested to find out more].

Not yet, still no laptop! I think the Telegraph had a useful H1 comparison, but again it's probably not valid given the timing of the UK lockdown compared to most of mainland Europe. I've set my team a task of doing some realtime nowcasta for the main European economies using a similar model which got the June growth rate correct for the UK (we had +8% vs the City consensus of +6% and it was +8.7% in the data) hopefully it will spit out some data before I'm back to work next Monday.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

"How anyone here remotely defends or provides cover for [Trump]?" Hmm. It`s a head-scratcher that one - the loathsome manchild-toad that he is.

Can anyone shed any light? The only thing I can think of is that would dissuade me from voting for Biden with relish is the "taking the knee" stuff and a general concern about a wokey direction - but I`m less concerned about that than I would be if it wasn`t Biden.

It is unthinkable that Trump should win in November

• Options
    edited August 2020

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

Unreported World on Channel 4 was good last night. It focused on white suburban and rural, also professional women, even particularly in California, who saw themselves, by backing Trump, as part of a backlash against feminism and their right to be traditional homemakers and more feminine women.
  • Options
    Flanner said:

One other big difference between the UK and the US is the number of elections they have... The act of voting thus takes much longer and it also helps explain why the counting takes so long if all these are on a single ballot paper.

But they're not on a single ballot paper, and in Britain it's common to send different ballot papers to different places to count. Every County election where I live coincides with a small raft of local council votes: the local papers go to the Constituency seat and the County papers go to a central County counting centre. Both are over and announced within 24 hours of the polls closing.

Britain does this efficiently for the same reason Royal Mail works and USPS doesn't. Our culture encourages us to grumble about government incompetence to make someone do something about it. The US culture (in a trait followed mindlessly by a distressing number of PB contributors) encourages Americans to grumble about government incompetence to prove attempts at reform are doomed to failure. This lunacy afflicts both parties

USPS is being asked to get fewer ballot papers out and back by November 3 than the number of Xmas cards they routinely deliver by December 25. In any other walk of US life, it'd be intolerable for an organisation to assume failure on this scale three months in advance.

If USPS can't cope, wouldn't you expect safeish Dem states like CA and NY to be subcontracting ballot paper delivery to Amazon right now (as even plonkers like Grayling would be doing here)? Why aren't they? Because it suits the Dems to scream "voter suppression".

Why is no "liberal" US medium demanding a delivery Plan B? Why isn't a publicity obsessive like Bezos or the head honcho of Fedex publicly offering to step in?

Because the inevitability of government failure is brainwashed into ALL Americans.
    I was trying to say that we have multiple ballot papers in the UK for multiple elections, but in the States it can all end up on one massive sheet. Sorry if that was not clear.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Not yet, still no laptop! I think the Telegraph had a useful H1 comparison, but again it's probably not valid given the timing of the UK lockdown compared to most of mainland Europe. I've set my team a task of doing some realtime nowcasta for the main European economies using a similar model which got the June growth rate correct for the UK (we had +8% vs the City consensus of +6% and it was +8.7% in the data) hopefully it will spit out some data before I'm back to work next Monday.
    The interesting question is whether these travel restrictions will still be in place on the 1st January 2021 and beyond
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The interesting question is whether these travel restrictions will still be in place on the 1st January 2021 and beyond
    There will be until there's a vaccine.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

Unreported World on Channel 4 was good last night. It focused on white suburban and rural, also professional women, even particularly in California, who saw themselves, by backing Trump, as part of a backlash against feminism and their right to be traditional homemakers and feminine women.
    I do fear for the US no matter the result but the starting point just has to be the comprehensive defeat of Trump
  • Options

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

Unreported World on Channel 4 was good last night. It focused on white suburban and rural, also professional women, even particularly in California, who saw themselves, by backing Trump, as part of a backlash against feminism and their right to be traditional homemakers and more feminine women.
    I thought they were all start raving bonkers!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

And it doesn't matter how. He has now got to the point where assassination would be morally and politically justified.
  • Options
    If USPS can't cope, wouldn't you expect safeish Dem states like CA and NY to be subcontracting ballot paper delivery to Amazon right now (as even plonkers like Grayling would be doing here)? Why aren't they? Because it suits the Dems to scream "voter suppression". ...

Well for a start Amazon relies on the USPS, and these guys, who have said they can’t do it:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/512146-ups-fedex-shut-down-calls-to-handle-mail-in-ballots-warn-of-significant

There’s the legal requirement for a postmark on the ballot, too.
    And of course the fact the the governors of many of the key swing states are Republicans.

But I’ll grant that California, the wealthiest state in the nation, really ought properly to finance the running of its elections.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    nichomar said:

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

I thought they were all start raving bonkers!
    A lot of fervent oddness and fanaticism certainly, but also a warning of what happens when any centre ground between cultural traditionalism and progressivism radically disappears, opening the way for Trump's mobster populism.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

And it doesn't matter how. He has now got to the point where assassination would be morally and politically justified.
    Biden, Harris and their supporters now need to focus on building a positive vision for the next four years. People need to think 'Won't it be great when we have a President who....' Hatred of Trump isn't enough.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    Flanner said:

That's a very interesting perspective, thanks.
  • Options
    I don't know what's true but since everyone else is on the same side of this I'm just gonna put the "Maybe Trump is not in fact trying to rig the election by breaking postal votes" argument:

* The USPS was already broke, ever since somebody tried to make them set aside extra funds for their pensions, Trump didn't do that
    * They were without a quorum for their board of governors for years, right through the Obama administration, because Bernie Sanders blocked Obama's appointees
    * The rona gave them another hammering
    * They've been removing some machines in Dem strongholds, but Dem strongholds is another way of saying "cities", and a lot of them are in non-swing states. It's not really clear that this is to do with the election, as their business is in decline anyhow
    * The states' ballot deadlines are already needlessly tight (see earlier tweet), that's not Trump's fault
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

They'll probably be replaced by testing on arrival at some point. Which is what they should have been in the first place.

You miss some cases, but it's safer than a quarantine which you don't bother to enforce.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

I don't know what's true but since everyone else is on the same side of this I'm just gonna put the "Maybe Trump is not in fact trying to rig the election by breaking postal votes" argument:

* The USPS was already broke, ever since somebody tried to make them set aside extra funds for their pensions, Trump didn't do that
    * They were without a quorum for their board of governors for years, right through the Obama administration, because Bernie Sanders blocked Obama's appointees
    * They've been removing some machines in Dem strongholds, but Dem strongholds is another way of saying "cities", and a lot of them are in non-swing states. It's not really clear that this is to do with the election, as their business is in decline anyhow
    * The states' ballot deadlines are already needlessly tight (see earlier tweet), that's not Trump's fault

There seem to have been very recent and historically unprecedented organisational changes to USPS's mission statement on whether it's duty-bound deliver all post, though - I'll try and find the link from earlier.
  • Options
    Re Trump

Has anyone mentioned his diplomatic triumph of the Israel-UAE deal ?

I'm curious as to whether any PBers are big enough to admit Trump has done well in this case.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Charles said:

I remember a local council election where the (LibDem) town council decided to move some of the polling stations AND "save money" by not sending out polling cards or informing residents of where they'd moved the stations to. People were supposed to read the announcement in modest print affixed to a notice outside the town hall, or read the leaflets put out by parties. On the day, we had to put tellers at the "wrong" stations to redirect voters. It was a safe LD seat and they felt that other parties contesting it was an offensive waste of time and money.

Because it was a town council election and a safe seat, opponents were only midly outraged, and even amused at the effrontery. We teased the LDs about it for years, though. That sort of thing at the level of the US Presidency is less entertaining.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

The answer to all that is that it's irrelevant how things got the way they are now. What matters is that anyone who cares about the integrity of November's result would be massively upgrading the whole system to make it fit for purpose by then.
  • Options

There seem to have been very recent organisational changes USPS's internal priorities and mission statement on delivering post, though - I'll try and find the link from earlier.

There was also a thing where they were told that they had to depart on time for deliveries, even if it meant leaving mail behind at the depot. But this is also the kind of thing you might do while dealing with general organizational decay, ie if everything's late and the delays keep piling up on top of other delays, potentially with cost implications (eg you end up paying more overtime while everybody waits for everybody else), you might be better to reset and start doing things on time.

I don't know enough about the USPS to say, but if you take a complex, underfunded organization like this and start looking for things that look like sabotage, I'm sure you can find some even if they're not really there.

I don't know if you've ever worked in the public sector but generally speaking, routine management and deliberate sabotage are pretty much indistinguishable.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Accepting all of the above, does that demonstrate Trump isn’t trying to give the system a further kick ?
    His recent appointee’s actions as head of the USPS don’t suggest otherwise.

And there are, of course, his own comments on the matter.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/14/us-election-november-votes-ballots-democracy
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,115

I think you can also make the case that, yes, the Trump appointee seems to have a financial interest in destroying the USPS and maybe this is simply another instance of corruption and wanton destruction that happens to coincide with the voting process.

Many opponents of Trump seem to ascribe to him an unusually high degree of competence and foresight when it comes to acts of malevolence, that is not consistent with all reports of how he operates.

That said, we have in his own words the statement that he opposes bailing out the USPS so that he can stop his political opponents from voting by mail. You don't have to imagine conspiracy when he states the case against himself right there, out in the open.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

There seem to have been very recent organisational changes USPS's internal priorities and mission statement on delivering post, though - I'll try and find the link from earlier.

There was also a thing where they were told that they had to depart on time for deliveries, even if it meant leaving mail behind at the depot. But this is also the kind of thing you might do while dealing with general organizational decay, ie if everything's late and the delays keep piling up on top of other delays, potentially with cost implications (eg you end up paying more overtime while everybody waits for everybody else), you might be better to reset and start doing things on time.

I don't know enough about the USPS to say, but if you take a complex, underfunded organization like this and start looking for things that look like sabotage, I'm sure you can find some even if they're not really there.

I don't know if you've ever worked in the public sector but generally speaking, routine management and deliberate sabotage are pretty much indistinguishable.
    Having briefly worked for BBC TV in its heyday, I would not entirely agree with the final point, but I think concepts connected to it may be exactly what Trump is counting on ; as his crony appointments to USPS are extremely recent, and the helpful reduction and draw-down of service just in time for the election has an alibi in just such a managerial context.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Trump is a pathological liar, if he says X, that's evidence, albeit weak, that Not-X
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Trump is not for us, though. His big selling-point is American nationalism ("Make America Great Again", etc.), and none of us are American nationalists. Other people's nationalisms are rarely appealing and often incomprehensible to outsiders. But they are not designed to appeal to them.

As a more extreme example, I can't understand the appeal of the Taliban either, but they are not designed to appeal to me.
  • Options

There seem to have been very recent and historically unprecedented organisational changes to USPS's mission statement on whether it's duty-bound deliver all post, though - I'll try and find the link from earlier.
    I think they are bound by the same universal service delivery requirement that covers most UPU members, how that is implemented by each country is questionable but it is duty bound to deliver the mail to an accessible point, which could be the delivery office providing the recipients know that is where they need to go to collect mail.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322

kamski said:

Charles said:

Reduce polling station frequency in Dem wards, and restricting postal voting that could offset the first issue is heading down the Belarusian road.

Of course, plenty of people prefer postal voting (I do) but will vote in person if necessary. Something we don't know is whether Democrats will be so motivated that they'll either return their postal ballot almost instantly when they get them (as most postal voters in Britain do anyway) or vote in person no matter where the polling station is and how long the lines are. But the PA report that the post office isn't sure they can deliver even instantly-cast postal votes in time is pretty serious.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

They'll probably be replaced by testing on arrival at some point. Which is what they should have been in the first place.

You miss some cases, but it's safer than a quarantine which you don't bother to enforce.
    Is there any data on imported Covid cases and fro which countries, would be good to have this published to support the quarantine requirements.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Stocky said:

Trump is not for us, though. His big selling-point is American nationalism ("Make America Great Again", etc.), and none of us are American nationalists. Other people's nationalisms are rarely appealing and often incomprehensible to outsiders. But they are not designed to appeal to them.

As a more extreme example, I can't understand the appeal of the Taliban either, but they are not designed to appeal to me.
    You make a good point, though I guess I`d say that Trump`s general lack of intelligence, lies, narcissism, vanity, vindictiveness and childishness render him woefully inadequate to lead even a nationalist cause.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

OK I'll bite. The case for Trump:
    1) no more Neocon wars
    2) he failed to repeal Obamacare
    3) lower taxes for rich people
    4) anti-China; not anti-Russia

The case against Biden:
    1) he's past it
    2) Dems want to sieze the people's guns and shoot babies
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Trump is a pathological liar, if he says X, that's evidence, albeit weak, that Not-X
    One thing I'm curious about lying politicians is the nature of their lies. Are they:

1) Straight lies
    2) Saying things they think people want to hear irrespective of whether its true
    3) Making some stuff up because they don't want to say "I don't know"
  • Options
    I’m watching the BBC interviewing a veteran of the RN who served out in the Far East. When asked about the conditions on board ships not designed for the tropics his reply was “bordering on the uncomfortable”.
  • Options

But the PA report that the post office isn't sure they can deliver even instantly-cast postal votes in time is pretty serious.

Yup, although this is also another data point against the conspiracy theory: If the plan is not to deliver the ballots within the legally assigned window, your best bet is just to... not deliver the ballots within the legally assigned window. The election will be over, the deadline will have passed, and it'll be too late for anyone to do anything about it. You definitely don't want to alert your adversary in advance.

This brings us to the meta-conspiracy-theory, that Trump wants to stop people postal-voting by making them think he's going to screw with it...
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    One thing I'm curious about lying politicians is the nature of their lies. Are they:

1) Straight lies
    2) Saying things they think people want to hear irrespective of whether its true
    Johnson does all three although 2 and 3 are most prevalent
  • Options
    Fishing said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not so sure. Soon we're about to have an army of door knocking contact tracers, the government has set the maximum fine for not wearing a mask to £3200 - bring quarantine breaking to the same level and allow the council to keep a large portion of the revenue. Suddenly you have a system in place where councils will be able to benefit from policing the quarantine with the same team as they already have for contact tracing.

This would be a better system than testing on arrival, I'd also allow for people to pay for a test privately after day 5 (gives enough time for the virus to incubate properly if it is present), I think the going rate is currently £70 for a PCR test.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    Yet another by now utterly predictable failing from our world-beatingly incompetant government:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/14/test-people-arriving-red-list-countries-end-quarantine-roulette/

"MPs and industry figures called for a testing regime for those returning from abroad to end the chaos – but it emerged that the Government was told by scientists two months ago that testing travellers could help avoid a blanket quarantine. Minutes from the Sage scientific advisory group show that it asked Public Health England (PHE) to consider a double-testing policy that would involve travellers being checked at the border and again five to eight days later. The plan would have allowed people to finish quarantine within one week, but although the Government indicated to The Telegraph that it was considering reducing quarantine to 10 days, no action on testing had been taken. Heathrow Airport said tourists were being forced to play "quarantine roulette". "Testing could provide an opportunity to safely reduce the length of quarantine in certain circumstances, protecting both the health and wealth of the nation," a spokesman said. "The UK needs a more sustainable long-term plan for the resumption of travel than quarantine roulette." The former Brexit secretary David Davis said: "Sage's advice is woefully inconsistent with the claim from ministers that testing only detects a minority of cases. "If they were advised this in June then this is what they should have done in June, rather than take this ineffective blanket approach.""
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Stocky said:

Fishing said:

Stocky said:

You make a good point, though I guess I`d say that Trump`s general lack of intelligence, lies, narcissism, vanity, vindictiveness and childishness render him woefully inadequate to lead even a nationalist cause.
    I agree about stupidity and maybe childishness, but if you exclude liars, narcissists, the vain and the vindictive, how many top politicians are left?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

1) Straight lies
    Trump is quite unusual in the nature of his lying. Generally, reputation to the contrary, politicians try really hard not to say anything that can be found to be a lie. This is one of the reasons why they sound so unnatural: Everything's hedged with caveats and careful phrasing, where a normal human would just tell a fib, then come back and correct it later if it seemed bad.

Trump doesn't work like that. He doesn't mind being caught lying, and his supporters seem to like it when he lies to own the libs.

His strategy reminds me of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1aq6sJEuVU

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    MaxPB said:

Fishing said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not so sure. Soon we're about to have an army of door knocking contact tracers, the government has set the maximum fine for not wearing a mask to £3200 - bring quarantine breaking to the same level and allow the council to keep a large portion of the revenue. Suddenly you have a system in place where councils will be able to benefit from policing the quarantine with the same team as they already have for contact tracing.

This would be a better system than testing on arrival, I'd also allow for people to pay for a test privately after day 5 (gives enough time for the virus to incubate properly if it is present), I think the going rate is currently £70 for a PCR test.
    £3200 changes the dynamics from £30
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Is there any data on imported Covid cases and fro which countries, would be good to have this published to support the quarantine requirements.

It'll be insignificant I imagine. The only data I recall is from March, when it accounted for 0.5% of cases. And that was when entry was unrestricted.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,930

Flanner said:

I was trying to say that we have multiple ballot papers in the UK for multiple elections, but in the States it can all end up on one massive sheet. Sorry if that was not clear.
    I seem to recall several elections here where there were different coloured ballot papers for different elections on the same day. Made sorting them out a bit harder, but only a bit.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,115

kamski said:

Charles said:

Of course, plenty of people prefer postal voting (I do) but will vote in person if necessary. Something we don't know is whether Democrats will be so motivated that they'll either return their postal ballot almost instantly when they get them (as most postal voters in Britain do anyway) or vote in person no matter where the polling station is and how long the lines are. But the PA report that the post office isn't sure they can deliver even instantly-cast postal votes in time is pretty serious.
    It's not just about motivation - if you reduce the number of polling places enough then there will be hard physical limits on the number of ballots that can be cast in a day. And while someone like you and I have the financial means and job security to take a day off work to vote - if that's what it takes - for many US voters in particular a long queue to vote leaves them with the choice of voting or losing their job. That doesn't really come down to a matter of motivation - that's such a condescending way to frame it.

And then, as I've warned in the past, a long queue of people waiting to vote is an obvious physical target for the heavily-armed extremists that Trump is busy convincing they have to defend the election from being stolen. The sorts of people who have already gone out to shoot at, or drive vehicles into, Black Matters Lives protests.

I think there's a lot of denial about how bad the situation already is, and how much worse it is going to become. And the worse thing is that I can see lots of comfortable people explaining it away after the event by talking about motivation, etc, so that they wouldn't have to face the terrifying reality - that Trump stole the election of the Presidency in the great democracy of the United States, and that all our democratic comforts are at risk.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Bad times.

OK I'll bite. The case for Trump:
    1) no more Neocon wars
    2) he failed to repeal Obamacare
    3) lower taxes for rich people
    4) anti-China; not anti-Russia

The case against Biden:
    1) he's past it
    2) Dems want to sieze the people's guns and shoot babies
    Despite all the rhetoric Trump has been the least warlike and hawkish US President since Carter, there have been no new US invasions of other nations under Trump and not even any major air strikes.

Domestically apart from being more protectionist than free trade he has not done much different from the average Republican President and the US still has gay marriage and legal abortion.

Trump may be a caricature in rhetoric but in policy terms it is more his cultural anti immigration and anti PC language that annoys the left and liberals
  • Options

Nigelb said:

1) Straight lies
    In fairness, there is another class - rarely, lying can be in the national interest, like Churchill pretending he had a realistic plan to win the war after the fall of France, rather than just waiting for something to turn up.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Fishing said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

£3200 changes the dynamics from £30
    Yes and having the council police it with door knockers will hugely increase the chance of getting fined because the council will want that revenue source.
  • Options

Re Trump

Has anyone mentioned his diplomatic triumph of the Israel-UAE deal ?

I'm curious as to whether any PBers are big enough to admit Trump has done well in this case.

As has been pointed out before, the one positive of Trump’s presidency is his reluctance to get involved in wars in the Middle East, though even that has its down sides when it means giving Putin a free pass. Getting a peace deal of any kind is normally the sort of thing you get the Nobel Prize for, which would be deeply ironic in this case (although as Henry Kissinger got one I’m not sure the bar is particularly high).

The Guardian doesn’t think much of it though:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/14/the-israel-uae-deal-will-make-a-one-state-solution-even-more-unlikely

This discussion has been closed.