Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump launches big legal challenge to try to block memoir by f

Comments

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522

Scott_xP said:

100% correct from Raab there. Conservatives actually taking a conservative position - whatever next?

Good for him - a very good answer to the question.

Protesting Police brutality is "from Game of Thrones", 100% correct, a very good answer?

Stop drinking so early in the day, guys.
    Bending the knee has been a sign of subjugation since time immemorial and I don't want my leaders subjugating themselves before Marxist protesters. Hope that helps.
    Can you enlighten me to whom Kaepernick (& various other black sportsmen) was subjugating himself when bending his knee?
    What relevance does his personal interpretation of the gesture have to us? Why should a British Foreign Secretary kneel because an American footballer wants to campaign about specific issues of police brutality in his own country that have no relevance here?

Let US protest groups use their own gestures in their own way without forcing them on us.
    The relevance is that the current meme of taking the knee stems from Kaepernick so I'd imagine if a British Foreign Secretary is going to blether shyte on the subject he should probably be referencing that rather than *checks notes* Game of Thrones.
    On the contrary, the GoT reference got his point across in a way that everyone who watched the show would understand and which framed his argument from his desired perspective. A textbook piece of effective political communication, actually.
    https://twitter.com/StigAbell/status/1273553381458694144?s=20
    The assertion this tweet makes has totally convinced me. Not.
    I'm sorry to break it to you, but absolutely no one on this site is here to convince you of anything.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

100% correct from Raab there. Conservatives actually taking a conservative position - whatever next?

Protesting Police brutality is "from Game of Thrones", 100% correct, a very good answer?

Bending the knee has been a sign of subjugation since time immemorial and I don't want my leaders subjugating themselves before Marxist protesters. Hope that helps.
    Can you enlighten me to whom Kaepernick (& various other black sportsmen) was subjugating himself when bending his knee?
    What relevance does his personal interpretation of the gesture have to us? Why should a British Foreign Secretary kneel because an American footballer wants to campaign about specific issues of police brutality in his own country that have no relevance here?

Let US protest groups use their own gestures in their own way without forcing them on us.
    The relevance is that the current meme of taking the knee stems from Kaepernick so I'd imagine if a British Foreign Secretary is going to blether shyte on the subject he should probably be referencing that rather than *checks notes* Game of Thrones.
    On the contrary, the GoT reference got his point across in a way that everyone who watched the show would understand and which framed his argument from his desired perspective. A textbook piece of effective political communication, actually.
    Speaking purely to the minority of people who happened to have watched a subscription TV show is a textbook piece of effective political communication?

You're peaking a bit early today. Leaving yourself nowhere to go.
    Er, it was an incredibly popular programme that ran for almost a decade. Tens of millions of people will understand the reference, and that's good enough.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,104
    Stocky said:

Anyone share my theory that 0-0 draws in football matches are slightly more likely with no crowd present?

Doesn't seem to apply to Arsenal.

Scott_xP said:

I'm sorry to break it to you, but absolutely no one on this site is here to convince you of anything.
    And in that ambition you have succeeded 100%.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Speaking purely to the minority of people who happened to have watched a subscription TV show is a textbook piece of effective political communication?

He's right, though. Raab very clearly wanted to get across the idea that kneeling in support of Black Lives Matter is an act of subjugation, not of solidarity. Why Raab would want to do that is pretty clear. The government is intent on fighting a culture war. It has nothing else to offer.

Alistair said:

Today I learnt that Toby Young was a supporter of Living Marxism and their libel of ITN.

I don't know why I am so surprised.

It's one of them known unknowns that's now a known known, kinda.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    Is this a real thing or has The Spectator just invented it for Priti, miffed that she keeps getting it in the neck?
    Sadly it's real. Many BAME conservatives have spent the last couple of weeks receiving copious amounts of racist hate mail, mostly because they don't see themselves as victims but as successes.

Terms like "coconut" being used, meaning someone brown on the outside but white on the inside.
    Labour BAME politicians have been receiving masses of racist hate mail for years but Tories have never seemed too concerned about that.
    You'll be surprised to find out that yes, they were concerned, many stood up to condemn racist abuse of Diane Abbot among others at the last two elections.

They stood right behind those calling Abbot innumerate and illiterate though, not all criticism of someone from the BAME "community" is racist.

Should the Guardian be allowed to publish cartoons like this?

That cartoon shows graphically the unbridled hatred the left has for BAME tories. Its like they broke a sacred pact. We brought you here to vote labour in eternity. Where's the gratitude?
    What is interesting about that cartoon is that it uses racist tropes against Hindus (and presumed Hindus) directly from the racist propaganda from extremists in another culture.
    Steve Bell is, in my opinion, a vile cartoonist. No satire, no lampooning, no parody, just bile.
    And worst of all, he is not funny.
    I am not even sure that is the worst of it (although its true). The example of Patel in that cartoon goes way beyond not funny. It is stunning that a mainstream publication saw fit to publish it.
    It's not great. One recoils.
    "not great"?

To draw someone ethnically Hindu as a cow is "not great"? If it had been a picture of a black Labour minister drawn as a monkey, or a Muslim Labour minister drawn as a pig would you call it "not great"?

I appreciate you said "recoils" and good for that, but its beyond the pale. The Guardian hasn't moved on from its support of the Confederacy it seems if it thinks publishing a cartoon like that is acceptable. If the Daily Mail had shown a cartoon of Diane Abbott as a monkey I think you'd get an immense response to denounce that.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,459
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    Is this a real thing or has The Spectator just invented it for Priti, miffed that she keeps getting it in the neck?
    Sadly it's real. Many BAME conservatives have spent the last couple of weeks receiving copious amounts of racist hate mail, mostly because they don't see themselves as victims but as successes.

Terms like "coconut" being used, meaning someone brown on the outside but white on the inside.
    Labour BAME politicians have been receiving masses of racist hate mail for years but Tories have never seemed too concerned about that.
    You'll be surprised to find out that yes, they were concerned, many stood up to condemn racist abuse of Diane Abbot among others at the last two elections.

They stood right behind those calling Abbot innumerate and illiterate though, not all criticism of someone from the BAME "community" is racist.

That cartoon shows graphically the unbridled hatred the left has for BAME tories. Its like they broke a sacred pact. We brought you here to vote labour in eternity. Where's the gratitude?
    What is interesting about that cartoon is that it uses racist tropes against Hindus (and presumed Hindus) directly from the racist propaganda from extremists in another culture.
    Steve Bell is, in my opinion, a vile cartoonist. No satire, no lampooning, no parody, just bile.
    I am not even sure that is the worst of it (although its true). The example of Patel in that cartoon goes way beyond not funny. It is stunning that a mainstream publication saw fit to publish it.
    If the same cartoon was a Muslim minister drawn as a pig it would be rightly condemned. That the guardian has chosen to turn a blind eye to their own racism is not surprising to anyone that has been paying attention to their equivocation on anti-Semitism by Labour.

As I said, the left hates us because we're successful and now very noticeably at the top of a right wing government.
    A fairly good rule for any "joke"/"cartoon"/"story" is to rotate the subject of the story though a number of different groups and see what you have.

Scott_xP said:

And in that ambition you have succeeded 100%.
    Cutting.
    The thought that an unpartisan, open minded chap like yersel was open to persuasion if only I'd marshalled the right arguments wounds me.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,985
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Universities need to act now on free speech on the campus, or the baleful eye of Cummings and the need for 'sector reorganization' will fall on them.

They actually have bigger problems, certainly in Scotland where the Universities are facing a complete shit storm.

The Scottish government gives £1820 per student with a set number of places. This of course is absolutely unsustainable for anything other than the most basic of institutions so Universities have sought English students (£9250 a pop) and foreign non EU students (up to £24K) to cross subsidise. The Russell group members in particular have been very successful at this allowing the Universities to thrive with an ever smaller part of their cohort being made up of Scottish students.

Boris has now capped the number of English grants that will be paid to Scottish Universities and the foreigners are not coming because of Covid. The Scottish Government is not able to increase the number of places it funds because it has no money. I am not sure whether the likes of Edinburgh, St Andrews and Glasgow will survive. It really depends on how long the foreign market takes to recover but the clock is ticking

It is a shitstorm. In my opinion these universities should give up chasing "global excellence" and instead go for efficiency - educating the masses, to an acceptable standard, as cheaply as possible. This was the "education factory" policy followed by Ireland when it was trying catch the first wave of globalisation in the 1980's. It was also the ethos of Edinburgh and Glasgow universities when they were (re)founded in the Reformation, in contrast to the expensive college based systems in St Andrews, Oxford and Cambridge. It meant that David Livingston, son of a poor millworker, could turn up in Glasgow with a bag of oatmeal, find a place to doss down and qualify to be a doctor almost for free.
    I have absolutely no problem with education being a successful export business for this country. The spin off benefits for UK plc are immense. Indeed I would go so far as to say that our elite Universities are one of our most important industries.
    I don't either. The point I'm trying to make in response to your point, is that university education in Scotland needs to be made more affordable, whether it is the government or individuals that pick up the tab. If that means all universities becoming the "the most basic of institutions" you refer to, so be it. We have tough choices to make.
    Sandpit said:
    Tory vote share still at 40-year record levels, and we'd still win comfortably in a general election tomorrow? That puts the laughable Labour triumphalism into perspective, doesn't it?

It's almost as if most people prefer the dignified approach of Raab to that of Starmer the knee-bender... :wink:
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,545
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

GoT is just Dungeons and Dragons with tits. That's the impression I have anyway as I've never seen it. But I've noted that knowing nothing about a subject is no barrier to holding an opinion on it on PB.
    I do have a funny story related to it though. One of the stars lives locally and came to see a play I was appearing in, but didn't get let in because we'd sold out.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

He's right, though. Raab very clearly wanted to get across the idea that kneeling in support of Black Lives Matter is an act of subjugation, not of solidarity. Why Raab would want to do that is pretty clear. The government is intent on fighting a culture war. It has nothing else to offer.

Well, other than governing. There's spheres of moral and political responsibility, and some stuff is outside some spheres. Have you stood on your head this morning to protest against injustice to the Rohingya, or hopped backwards for ten minutes in solidarity with the Palestinians? Why not?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Er, it was an incredibly popular programme that ran for almost a decade. Tens of millions of people will understand the reference, and that's good enough.
    Holy crap the level of post today is like nursery school, halfwits doing stupid American kneeling and other loonies quoting fantasy tv programmes as relevant to politics. Get Braveheart out and learn how to do it properly.
    Sandpit said:
    I was never very good at arithmetic, but is it better, worse or about the same as a 19 point lead?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,406
    edited June 2020

Sandpit said:
    Tory vote share still at 40-year record levels, and we'd still win comfortably in a general election tomorrow? That puts the laughable Labour triumphalism into perspective, doesn't it?

It's almost as if most people prefer the dignified approach of Raab to that of Starmer the knee-bender... :wink:
    Almost as if we have an Equalities Minister, a lady of African origin, trying to help calm things down rather than inflame them further:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5yzYqs94BQ
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,603
    Alistair said:

Today I learnt that Toby Young was a supporter of Living Marxism and their libel of ITN.

Really? The Bosnian campaign was very much a Clinton/Blair project. Presumably Tobes hated it for that reason and was desperate for it to be discredited.

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

GoT is just Dungeons and Dragons with tits. That's the impression I have anyway as I've never seen it. But I've noted that knowing nothing about a subject is no barrier to holding an opinion on it on PB.
    I do have a funny story related to it though. One of the stars lives locally and came to see a play I was appearing in, but didn't get let in because we'd sold out.
    Low bar for "funny."

It's a superb series, seriously marred by the Mother of Dragons subplot (where most of the tits are) and the complete mess of the final season.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,061

Sandpit said:
    I was never very good at arithmetic, but is it better, worse or about the same as a 19 point lead?
    To be honest, reading this forum any lead seems amazing
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, other than governing. There's spheres of moral and political responsibility, and some stuff is outside some spheres. Have you stood on your head this morning to protest against injustice to the Rohingya, or hopped backwards for ten minutes in solidarity with the Palestinians? Why not?

Why would I?

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

"not great"?

To draw someone ethnically Hindu as a cow is "not great"? If it had been a picture of a black Labour minister drawn as a monkey, or a Muslim Labour minister drawn as a pig would you call it "not great"?

I appreciate you said "recoils" and good for that, but its beyond the pale. The Guardian hasn't moved on from its support of the Confederacy it seems if it thinks publishing a cartoon like that is acceptable. If the Daily Mail had shown a cartoon of Diane Abbott as a monkey I think you'd get an immense response to denounce that.
    Plenty of knickers in a fankle today , Tories swooning all over at a cartoon, some of you lot need to get a life or even better do a real days work, get out and meet some humans , learn a bit about real life.

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Why would I?

For the same reasons Raab should have taken the knee.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,272
    edited June 2020
    Sean_F said:

Mr. xP, kneeling can also occur at marriage proposals and when being knighted. I didn't say he was swearing fealty. I said that when he was kneeling, he was kneeling.

Given that the UK chapter of BLM favours dismantling capitalism, patriarchy, and British institutions, it would be a very strange Conservative minister who expressed solidarity with them.
    Raab is right not to do it if he doesn't want to. It would look phony and forced. The sort of thing which detracts from the cause rather than helps it.

But he has spoilt things somewhat by talking utter bollox about "kneeling" and "Game of Thrones". Why not say he is "not up for token gestures" rather than just not up for THIS token gesture?

As it is, it begs the obvious question -

"Ok, Dom, understood, kneeling is a no no, except to the Queen, so how about doing something else to demonstrate your anti-racist credentials? Something that does not make you think of Her Majesty or Game of Thrones. Like - yes this would surely work - how about you put a black glove on, lower your eyes to the floor, and raise a fist? Cool with that?"

See what I mean? - He is being a bit of a plonker, I'm afraid.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,545
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Low bar for "funny."

It's a superb series, seriously marred by the Mother of Dragons subplot (where most of the tits are) and the complete mess of the final season.
    It seemed funny at the time.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

I have stated, more than once on here, that the QEC carriers are a vanity purchase ....

I thought they were a bribe? A pork-barrel for the local yards, vote for me! ;)
    That they were mostly produced in Gordon Brown's constituency is purely co-incidental...
    Of course! Entirely a coincidence! To suggest otherwise is unthinkable....
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,463
    edited June 2020

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

If the same cartoon was a Muslim minister drawn as a pig it would be rightly condemned. That the guardian has chosen to turn a blind eye to their own racism is not surprising to anyone that has been paying attention to their equivocation on anti-Semitism by Labour.

As I said, the left hates us because we're successful and now very noticeably at the top of a right wing government.
    A fairly good rule for any "joke"/"cartoon"/"story" is to rotate the subject of the story though a number of different groups and see what you have.
    I've not been keeping up, but what is the overt rationale? Is it [edit] an appalling coincidence/faux pas? Mr Johnson is also drawn in a bovine way - it's not a reference to his Aristophanes quip about an ox tonguie is it?
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Why would I?

Who said he should have knelt? It's a choice. If he does not want to show solidarity with BLM that is up to him.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Really? The Bosnian campaign was very much a Clinton/Blair project. Presumably Tobes hated it for that reason and was desperate for it to be discredited.
    A lot of people across the political spectrum supported Living Marxism in the libel case in a very unedifying way. I always found it deeply weird at the time but seeing all the names now 20 years on is even weirder.

Sandpit said:

Tory hubris and arrogance is always going to be very helpful. If they wish to portray a 19 point lead to turning into an eight point one in the space of a month, who are we to stop them?

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

I have stated, more than once on here, that the QEC carriers are a vanity purchase ....

That they were mostly produced in Gordon Brown's constituency is purely co-incidental...
    In fairness, much/mostr of the money went to other constituencies IIRC. They were stuck together, so to speak, from bits produced elsewhere in the UK - I forget where - and not counting kit from non-shipyard sites and of courtse the v. expensive planes from the US.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,593

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

About three million or so watched GoT, I suspect the rest of us mainly knew it as the one that spent so much on dragons that they couldn't always afford costumes, especially for the actresses. Though I bet the Westminster Bubble lapped it up. Not sure it's a genius bit of communication. But lets go back to what the Raabster said;

"On this taking the knee thing, I don't know maybe it's got a broader history, it seems to be taken from the Game of Thrones"

He doesn't know. He says he doesn't know.
    He's the Foreign Secretary, it's his job to know what's going on around the world, especially if it's a big story in a big country.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Why would I?

Who said he should have knelt? It's a choice. If he does not want to show solidarity with BLM that is up to him.
    You say that implicitly in your final sentence.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,385

To quote the fanbois this morning, they are "exactly the same"
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,124

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

An interesting Guardian long read on the ups and downs of global tourism:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jun/18/end-of-tourism-coronavirus-pandemic-travel-industry

Does it manage to have a go at the Govt at the same time>? I would be surprised if it was bile free...
    The article appears to be complaining simultaneously that there’s both too much tourism and not enough of it.
    Tourism is fecked for a year at least or ought to be....but people want holidays and will ignore the risks and Govts will let it happen because of financial imperatives.
    Pretty much no-one I've spoken to has any interest in foreign holidays this year, although a few need to travel over the summer for work and family reasons.
    Wow that's not my experience at all. Every young person I've spoken to can't wait to get away. I'm not young but I'm in the same boat, or aircraft. In fact I've already booked a fortnight in SE Asia for late Fall.
    'Fall'? I thought you were English? :) Or are you very very old English?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,528
    "Polling in January this year showed 74 percent of U.K. adults had done nothing to prepare for leaving the EU and did not plan to."

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-government-preparing-shock-and-awe-brexit-media-campaign/

I have. Starting to increase my Brexit food stockpile again.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,459
    edited June 2020
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I've not been keeping up, but what is the overt rationale? Is it [edit] an appalling coincidence/faux pas? Mr Johnson is also drawn in a bovine way - it's not a reference to his Aristophanes quip about an ox tonguie is it?
    That cartoon was long before the Aristophanes quote

There are people out there who bang on about how Hindus are cow/devil worshippers. They are universally not nice people.

The cartoon has a strong resemblance to ones published in their hate rags.
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

In fairness, much/mostr of the money went to other constituencies IIRC. They were stuck together, so to speak, from bits produced elsewhere in the UK - I forget where - and not counting kit from non-shipyard sites and of courtse the v. expensive planes from the US.
    Seems it was spread around 7 yards in the UK with final stitching together in Rosyth.
    My last forays to Govan and Rosyth suggest that not much pork from the barrel stuck around.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    On topic.

What I would be slightly concerned about if I was Biden in that only two of those states (Florida and Michigan), does he get to 50% of the vote and then only marginally. Several states (Ohio, Wisconsin, Arizona) have 10%+ of respondents saying either don't know or third party votes. That would raise fears about shy Trump voters.

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

There are people out there who bang on about how Hindus are cow/devil worshippers. They are universally not nice people.

Thank you. How very odd.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Why would I?

My interest is not in whether Raab has knelt or not for BLM, it's in his use of words like subjugation and subordination to describe doing so.

• novanova Posts: 672

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

A fairly good rule for any Steve Bell cartoon is not to read it. He's had stuff pulled by the Guardian for being racist on more than one occasion and it's long past the time he should have been canned.

His work is more about making the people he disagrees with look grotesque (and that's most people, including the majority of the Labour party), rather than making any clever satirical points.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Why would I?

My interest is not in whether Raab has knelt or not for BLM, it's in his use of words like subjugation and subordination to describe doing so.

Is it not part of the Raab C. Brexit shtick, not to kneel to foreigners, vide the ECJ, EU, etc. etc.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Rosyth was in Lib Dem hands by the time construction of QE had started. Brown was in the next door constituency.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Why would I?

Exactly my point too. Odd direction to go in. Almost as if he's dog whistling. Not saying he is - he probably isn't - but it's open to that interpretation.

Scott_xP said:

Your cultural references are bang up to date. You must have been able to stand on your head for 15 minutes when you were 60.
    MrEd said:

On topic.

What I would be slightly concerned about if I was Biden in that only two of those states (Florida and Michigan), does he get to 50% of the vote and then only marginally. Several states (Ohio, Wisconsin, Arizona) have 10%+ of respondents saying either don't know or third party votes. That would raise fears about shy Trump voters.

Ooo you are awful - but I like you.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,104

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Aeschylus not Aristophanes.

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Aeschylus not Aristophanes.

That was my mistake!
    kinabalu said:

Exactly my point too. Odd direction to go in. Almost as if he's dog whistling.

And it worked. Look at the Pavlovian responses upthread
  • novanova Posts: 672

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Why would I?

He's either incredibly ignorant, or it's a pretty sinister link to make. Given that he's already tweeting clarification about respect, I would guess the former, but it's hugely disappointing that a cabinet minister doesn't realise just how offensive it is to make that connection.
    edited June 2020
    £100bn more of Quantitative Easing today. On top of the £200 billion earlier this year.

That £100bn is essentially the cost of the UK furlough scheme in total.

As I said earlier this year, the UK is never going to repay what its spending on COVID, it will all either be written off as QE or we'll just pay interest on it.

It wouldn't surprise me if by the end of the year net of Quantitative Easing we end up not much more in debt than we started the year with, despite furlough and everything else.

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

GoT is just Dungeons and Dragons with tits. That's the impression I have anyway as I've never seen it.
    It's more like Druon's "Les Rois maudits" with magical surrealism. I've read the first three (I think) books but I've never seen the TV program. I assume it's dreadful.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,186
    Dissent on the £100bn QE decision. That's surprising.
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

A lot of people across the political spectrum supported Living Marxism in the libel case in a very unedifying way. I always found it deeply weird at the time but seeing all the names now 20 years on is even weirder.
    Living Marxism's attempts to re-write the history of the camps was motivated by the fact that in their heart of hearts, these people applauded those camps and sympathised with their cause and wished to see it triumph. That was the central and - in the final hour, the only - issue. Shame, then, on those fools, supporters of the pogrom, cynics and dilettantes who supported them, gave them credence and endorsed their vile enterprise.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2000/mar/15/pressandpublishing.tvnews
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    That is interesting - on the complementary effects of the pest and the Brexiters - thanks.
    nova said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Why would I?

He's either incredibly ignorant, or it's a pretty sinister link to make. Given that he's already tweeting clarification about respect, I would guess the former, but it's hugely disappointing that a cabinet minister doesn't realise just how offensive it is to make that connection.
    I am still trying to think what is distinctively GoT ish about kneeling, for sure. But the whole Kaepernick thing is very incoherent anyway. I think it was meant to be an alternative way of showing respect to the US national anthem.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    Kantar poll - apologies if posted earlier.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1273576241501782021
    Scott_xP said:
    Progress. And OK the knee is out because of "subjugation" overtones. Let's accept this as being in the eye of the beholder and therefore valid. So what I'd suggest is he at least considers a little BLM badge - as per the NHS one that Matt Hancock wears. Subtle but significant, and with nothing at all 'loaded' about it.
    MaxPB said:

I see the left has their own version of poppy and clapping fascists. How amazing they have transformed into the very thing they have raged against for so many years.

People should make their own choice, just as they do with poppies.

But that the Foreign Secretary could go on TV and show such ignorance that he doesn't know the origins of the symbolism is gobsmacking. It ranks up there with the young ignorant idiot being interviewed by Channel 4 that went viral earlier this week when she said about Churchill that she has never met him.

The difference is that Raab is not just an MP but Foreign Secretary.

If a Labour MP said that they didn't want to wear a poppy then I would understand that is their choice. If an MP said they didn't know the origins of the poppy and it was maybe to do with a TV show that would be another matter.

His ignorance is remarkable. Raab is an idiot and he should go.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    They anticipate a recovery of ~6% in May, then. I think that would be a pretty good result.
  • SurreySurrey Posts: 190
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

On topic, at what point can Trump decide he doesn't want to stand?

If he looks like losing "bigly" would he just walk away from the contest?

That would be such (!) a cheat. Like feigning injury when you're 0/5 love 30 in the 5th. Really hope he doesn't do that. Don't think he will. He'll want to do some rallies and stuff, some negative on Biden, a TV debate, keep a hold of the spotlight to the end, see how it all shakes out.
    I`ve said this repeatedly for months. Lay Trump for Next President rather than back Biden or Dems to win. The odds are only marginally inferior and you win if Trump doesn`t stand regardless of what happens in the GE.

I`ve thought for months that he may petulantly jack it when he becomes convinced he can`t win. He won`t care about leaving the Reps in a bind.
    You have indeed made this point before. I personally don't see it - I just think he'll want that campaign high again, the MAGA rallies, the adoration from the fanbase - but I agree with lay Trump being better than back Biden. It covers both your scenario AND the one where Biden has a medical issue and is replaced.
    I'm applying a Nassim Taleb-style "barbell" strategy: lay Trump and at the same time buy all the main Republican alternatives to Trump at very low prices.

In any case Trump's price is likely to fall in the next 4 weeks what with Bolton (incl. China), Tulsa, and Mary.

Pence shouldn't be as far ahead of the other non-Trump Republicans in the betting market as he is. He may be Trump's presumptive running-mate but how much does "presumptive" count for? Scenarios where he quits the race can be categorised as follows for where they leave Pence:

1) Trump leaves office early;
    2) Trump quits race, serves out term;

A) Pence as Trump's RM
    B ) Someone else as Trump's RM;
    C) Trump quits race or leaves office before formally choosing RM.

1B, 1C don't leave Pence strong even though he'd (probably) be President.
    The impeachment conviction subclass of 1 wouldn't be good for Pence whether A, B, or C: there was no President Agnew. The 25th amendment subclass might or might not be good for Pence. If he were to be seen as the instigator that'd be fine, but he might appear merely as the man who said "OK" when the military told him "Sign this", thereby keeping the coup constitutional.

Even with 2, if it's before the convention there will be a contest surely, rather than enough of the leadership agreeing Pence is the best unity candidate or unity doesn't matter.

The above six cells are by no means the whole picture, because, well, anything could happen. Trump could quit the race saying he will serve out his term and then leave office anyway, voluntarily or involuntarily, or goodness knows what.

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Well I haven't seen it either so Raab has quite simply disenfranchised the both of us. I thought he was meant to be our Foreign Secretary.
    Speaking of cultural sensitivity and respect for others..

https://twitter.com/cairnstoon/status/1273578884819271682?s=20
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,186

MaxPB said:

I see the left has their own version of poppy and clapping fascists. How amazing they have transformed into the very thing they have raged against for so many years.

But that the Foreign Secretary could go on TV and show such ignorance that he doesn't know the origins of the symbolism is gobsmacking. It ranks up there with the young ignorant idiot being interviewed by Channel 4 that went viral earlier this week when she said about Churchill that she has never met him.

If a Labour MP said that they didn't want to wear a poppy then I would understand that is their choice. If an MP said they didn't know the origins of the poppy and it was maybe to do with a TV show that would be another matter.

Bending the knee has for centuries been an act of subservience. Some aspect of this is definitely borne from some people wanting others to be subservient, though definitely not all. I suspect it's the same set of people who want to be "on the right side of history".
    edited June 2020

MaxPB said:

One could argue that his job is to be a punctilious politician who gets things done, not be a general-knowledge expert in a pub quiz team. (This was the line when he ran into trouble over the Dover-Calais crossing.)
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

The former - standing on your head - would indicate both solidarity with the Rohingya and a long life ahead of you. Much to like there.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Bending the knee has for centuries been an act of subservience. Some aspect of this is definitely borne from some people wanting others to be subservient, though definitely not all. I suspect it's the same set of people who want to be "on the right side of history".
    There's a difference between someone doing it as an act of protest - like Kaepernick - and someone just doing it as a show of support for a political movement.

Personally, I thought the footballers looked a bit silly last night.
    I can't get over the idiocy of Raab. I've never been a fan of his but to me this is worse than his comments about the importance of Dover.

Whatever you think about BLM, this news story has been one of the biggest foreign stories for years and domestically has been one of the biggest news stories for two to three weeks now.

Whatever you think of the symbolism of kneeling, for Raab as Foreign Secretary and First Secretary of State to have not even bothered to learn what the symbolism of one of the biggest news stories in this country even means - and to be proud and willing to announce such ignorance on the news . . . its gobsmacking.

The man is incompetent and should be gone. Disagree with the symbolism all you like, but to not even bother to learn about it is remarkable.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Scott_xP said:
    When Brown and Darling did this it was BAD. I take it, now Johnson and Sunak are using the QA device it is good.

I remember 40 odd years ago my economics A level tutor told me increases in M3 was inflationary and generally BAD. Presumably increases in M3 are now good.
    MaxPB said:

Bending the knee has for centuries been an act of subservience.

I ask again, who was Kapernick being "subservient" to?

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

"not great"?

I often say "not great" to indicate severe disapproval.

Your "Abbott as a monkey" comparison is crass and clumsy.

Don't be crass and clumsy, Philip.
    Scott_xP said:

MaxPB said:

Bending the knee has for centuries been an act of subservience.

I ask again, who was Kapernick being "subservient" to?

The US constitution. The point was he wouldn't stand, but just sitting on his arse looked disrespectful, so he had to think of another way to mark the national anthem.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    edited June 2020

I can't get over the idiocy of Raab. I've never been a fan of his but to me this is worse than his comments about the importance of Dover.

Whatever you think about BLM, this news story has been one of the biggest foreign stories for years and domestically has been one of the biggest news stories for two to three weeks now.

Whatever you think of the symbolism of kneeling, for Raab as Foreign Secretary and First Secretary of State to have not even bothered to learn what the symbolism of one of the biggest news stories in this country even means - and to be proud and willing to announce such ignorance on the news . . . its gobsmacking.

The man is incompetent and should be gone. Disagree with the symbolism all you like, but to not even bother to learn about it is remarkable.

I have always regarded him as nothing more than a waste of space and have said so several times here on PB only to be informed that Raab is very intelligent. His intelligence fails to show IMO. Whatever his area of expertise is, it does not seem to be politics.

I am happy for him to be in govt, though because I strongly disagree with almost every policy this govt promulgates.

One could argue that his job is to be a punctilious politician who gets things done, not be a general-knowledge expert in a pub quiz team. (This was the line when he ran into trouble over the Dover-Calais crossing.)

Knowing about the Dover-Calais crossing was literally his job as a punctilious politician when he made that remark.

Now understanding what's happening in America is literally his job as a punctilious politician.

Neither of them are uniquely general knowledge questions, although you would expect any contestant on Mastermind to be able to answer both of them.

Unlike Raab.

He's an idiot.

Which is why BoZo put him in cabinet.

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

I fear you're right. So so depressing.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The symbolism isn't bending the knee though and kneeling has other symbolism than that and has for centuries too. Kneeling can symbolise respect, reverence many things.

I'm an atheist but I have knelt before in both Churches and Temples long before any of this came about. In those instances it wasn't about subservience or subjugation it was about showing respect.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 675
    I have just been taking part in a video chat with patrons of a local theatre who are hoping to put on a Christmas panto that will be socially distanced and meet all the guidelines. Lots of criticism of Oliver Dowden and Cameron Mackintosh yesterday for being totally London focused and no thought towards regional theatre.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,041
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

The former - standing on your head - would indicate both solidarity with the Rohingya and a long life ahead of you. Much to like there.
    "In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
    "I feared it might injure the brain;
    But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
    Why, I do it again and again."
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

"not great"?

Why is it crass and clumsy? It is literally the same thing, a racist image that would be utterly disgusting to be either drawn or published. What was worse than crass and clumsy was for the Guardian to publish what it did which was every bit as bad as if another paper had published Abbott as a monkey.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,858

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

About three million or so watched GoT, I suspect the rest of us mainly knew it as the one that spent so much on dragons that they couldn't always afford costumes, especially for the actresses. Though I bet the Westminster Bubble lapped it up. Not sure it's a genius bit of communication. But lets go back to what the Raabster said;

"On this taking the knee thing, I don't know maybe it's got a broader history, it seems to be taken from the Game of Thrones"

He doesn't know. He says he doesn't know.
    He's the Foreign Secretary, it's his job to know what's going on around the world, especially if it's a big story in a big country.
    He's only recently familiar with the location of some of our ports.
    Give him a chance. :smile:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes. It is dog whistling of the first order.

I was trying not to conclude that - getting so bored with this "culture war" crap - but others of my ilk have steered me to the obvious. Oh dear. Ah well.

You shouldn't be supporting this sort of stuff, you really shouldn't, but I don't suppose you'll listen to me.
    edited June 2020

MaxPB said:

It seems your ignorance is equally remarkable. Kaepernick's kneeling was a means of non violent protest. That is why it struck such a chord. Kneeling by the police and authorities is a sign of submission, of repentance. It is crass, pointless and has annoyed a great many black commentators as it makes it seem as if the BLM protestors want subjugation of the whites rather than equality.

Actually you are wrong, I have followed this story since before he was kneeling and kneeling was not his original protest. The original protest was sitting on a bench during the anthem but that was condemned as disrespectful to the national anthem and to the veterans.

So after speaking with veterans groups he changed the protest from sitting on a bench during the anthem to kneeling, because that was more respectful than sitting.

Again kneeling is a traditional symbolism of respect not just subjugation.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574

Scott_xP said:
    When Brown and Darling did this it was BAD. I take it, now Johnson and Sunak are using the QA device it is good.

I remember 40 odd years ago my economics A level tutor told me increases in M3 was inflationary and generally BAD. Presumably increases in M3 are now good.
    Brown caused a lot of it by not thinking ahead.... the 156 billion annual deficit is at his door. Not saying the Tories would have done any better, but it was on Brown's watch and Cameron and Osborne had to sort it out.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

"not great"?

Why is it crass and clumsy? It is literally the same thing, a racist image that would be utterly disgusting to be either drawn or published. What was worse than crass and clumsy was for the Guardian to publish what it did which was every bit as bad as if another paper had published Abbott as a monkey.

Steve Bell has done it too often for it not to be deliberate, but he gets away with it because there is a level of deniability. There is no deniability about drawing Abbott as a monkey. In any case, that The Guardian uses him is an utter disgrace.

• contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

I fear you're right. So so depressing.
    Black Lives Matter is a far left organisation whose views and aims have never been testesd at the ballot box. It doesn;t have a single councillor, let alone an MP.

Quite why anybody of any color should respect that record is beyond me. Let alone 'take a knee'.

The conservatives polled 13 plus million votes. Donald Trump over sixty million. There are no knees for them.

There should, in our democracy, be no short cuts to power, influence and respect. There certainly weren't for UKIP and the Brexit party. There should not be for BLM either.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,989
    Stocky said:

kjh said:

As the 'More or less' reporter - Again some very interesting stuff. Three separate topics on Covid two of which I found particularly interesting.

Again the double counting cropped up in a different guise and this time the double counting has really screwed up the information for anyone trying to defend it.

This time it was the 'test and track' and the confusion of why so many had not been tracked. I remember on the day the discrepancy was given as due to people not responding or not being found. But this isn't the case. Firstly the non England figures have to be removed as they are not included in the stats, but that still left only 8000 from 12000 cases tracked.

It appears that 4000 of those 8000 had taken 2 tests and you only need to track someone once. So it isn't 12000 but actually only 8000.

See what happens when you test someone twice and count it as two tests! You cause utter confusion.

So the immediate response was this is good news then; only 8000 and not 12000 cases. But no, because the random testing shows there are 30,000 odd cases so it means you have just picked up a smaller number. The cases hasn't changed, you have just found less.

The information being given out at these daily briefings was crap and is still crap. At least this time not deliberately so.

"More or Less" has been superb over this crisis. Essential listening. I listen to some episodes twice - including the last one.
    Agree, Perhaps why it has been given two more episodes.
This discussion has been closed.