Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In other news Starmer moves to a net 24% lead over Johnson in

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131

Shapps claiming he doesn't know the dates and details of Cummings.

Unbelievable.

Perfectly believable - if I intentionally don't read the information I can truthly deny not knowing the details.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,610
    Schapps just waffling crap about wanting to get on and talk about transport, in between waffling on about how careful Dom was probably whilst driving 250 miles.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,527
    Scott_xP said:
    ...but isn't that exactly the reason Boris cannot let the baying press pack win this time. With Cummings blood on their tongues they will have a taste for an even bigger kill.

What the Baker interview does clearly demonstrate is what a capricious, self-preserving bunch Tory MPs are.
  • Options
    OMG.

"If you are going to lockdown, you lockdown at the place you travel to to lockdown"

The hole is being dug by a massive spade.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,586
    This is embarrassing. Now he’s saying driving the length of England is a practical and reasonable measure.

Now he’s just said Cummings was ill at the time of the move as well!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459
    Foxy said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Just taken some of the evens on Cummings lasting out the month.

Unlike most PMs and advisors, I'm not too sure that either Boris or Dominic give a rat's arse that the advisor is the story - and the DC story's doing a great job of keeping the press pack engaged in trivialities.

(The assumption there is that the advisor has been totally honest with the PM - if that's not the case and it comes out, he'll be the proverbial cooked bread).

Its not just the story it probably ends hopes of schools re-opening in June (or at least opened with many more children in them).

Parents will simply do "what is best for their kids" in their opinion and the government wont dare push them.
    +1 - given that it's one rule for those in power and another for those not in power a lot of people are going to completely ignore what the old advice was ans do what's best in their opinion.

Which means one lot of people are going to want all their children in school and others won't want any there.
    The only realistic way to open schools is to make attendance voluntary. It would help with class sizes too.
    I agree. I’m sure your morning was hinging on that validation
  • Options
    Then: "The police say that travelling to another house, or second home is not within the guidelines"

Now: "It was ok to travel to somewhere to lockdown, when you decided you were ready to lockdown"
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I'm sure he can explain in great detail, why.
  • Options
    "Have you asked NO 10 the questions we showed you in advance?"

LOL
  • Options
    He looks like all his teeth are being pulled without anaesthetic.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I'm sure he can explain in great detail, why.
    Genius. Just guaranteed another day of this, followed by new material tomorrow.
  • Options
    When you fill your cabinet full of yes men and women, with no collective intelligence between them, this is what you get when you fall into a crisis.

It is becoming painfully clear this Government exists entirely because of Cummings.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    This won't force Boris out, but it's going to destroy any ability Boris has to get people to do what he wants.

Boris has always been a figure of fun, now he will be treated as a figure of fun.
  • Options
    WTF.

Schapps now saying Cummings father phoned the police!!!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Dangerous. I don’t think they have been sitting on this for weeks doing nothing, They will have been trying to verify.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1264470866018086912

I think we've now beaten Corbyn's Andrew Neil interview for car crash. Does it outdo Abbott's?
  • Options
    I take it back. This isn’t a car crash, it’s a train wreck.
  • Options
    Good attempt by Sophy to get to the bottom of all this.

Marr better up his game for later.

That's if Schapps turns up.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,095

Good morning, everyone.

Instead of worrying about the PM going, perhaps the Cabinet should be welcoming such an eventuality.

Boris Johnson isn't up to the job. From a party political perspective, as well as a national one, the Conservatives are better off with someone else.

“Next PM” market looks fun.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/29513080/multi-market?marketIds=1.160843673

Gove at 15.5 stands out - he’d definitely be a runner.
    Lay Sunak at 6.6 - he almost certainly won’t be.
    Lay favourite Starmer at 2.9 - if Boris goes then the next PM will be a Conservative.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,152
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    Dangerous. I don’t think they have been sitting on this for weeks doing nothing, They will have been trying to verify.
    I think the reference to computer records shows that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,596

Scott_xP said:
    ...but isn't that exactly the reason Boris cannot let the baying press pack win this time. With Cummings blood on their tongues they will have a taste for an even bigger kill.

What the Baker interview does clearly demonstrate is what a capricious, self-preserving bunch Tory MPs are.
    It reveals that Tory Brexiters haven’t forgotten the contempt Cummings showed for them during the referendum.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I take it back. This isn’t a car crash, it’s a train wreck.

Sophy did manage to get the word 'derail' into the questioning!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Now he’s actually contradicting Cummings. He says they were not ill when they travelled to Durham.

Indeed, he’s contradicting himself. Three minutes ago he said they were both ill.

So who is lying?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

OMG.

"If you are going to lockdown, you lockdown at the place you travel to to lockdown"

The hole is being dug by a massive spade.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

They were already in lockdown in London. Someone in the household developed symptoms and they were allowed to drive to the other end of the country to self-isolate?

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    Wow.

Sophy: "Thanks for the job tips"

Ouch!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    This is just painful now.

Come on Grant, stand up, say, ‘Actually, you know what, he broke all the rules and should go.’

Take a small revenge on him for what he’s done to you here.

He’s even giving a wry smile over the short straws joke.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm old enough to remeber this. Simpler times

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1263914724305055745?s=19
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,095
    Scott_xP said:
    That's a direct challenge to those papers to stand up their stories. If DC hasn't been totally honest with Johnson (and Raab) about his movements, then yes he's toast.

Johnson being off sick might be a driver of this story, I can well imagine that DC wouldn't consider himself as reporting to a temp stand-in when the boss wasn't there.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,400

When you fill your cabinet full of yes men and women, with no collective intelligence between them, this is what you get when you fall into a crisis.

It is becoming painfully clear this Government exists entirely because of Cummings.

You have outdone yourself again.. you cannot possibly believe what you are writing. its Labour HQ smear.

You didn't believe it when you wrote that it was going to be a hung Parliament, but you still predicted it...
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Not looking good this, is it?

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    edited May 2020
    I see the bantz are rolling into another day :D:D
  • Options
    With the way Shapps is telling this story, it is obvious the Government knows full well Cummings has broken the law.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,032
    Scott_xP said:
    Muscles? Are we starting on that again? 🤔
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,867
    Dura_Ace said:

You do have to respect Shapps' fealty (or utter lack of self-worth) that he would go on television and humiliate himself in this way for Johnson of all people.

It's OK. Michael Green can permanently dispense with the Grant Shapps alias and the interview need never be referred to again.
  • Options

Well that Johnson honeymoon is certainly over.
  • Options

I dunno. Popcorn merchants are probably giving huge gasps of relief.
  • Options
    It's the 1992 Government all over again
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    ydoethur said:

Now he’s actually contradicting Cummings. He says they were not ill when they travelled to Durham.

Indeed, he’s contradicting himself. Three minutes ago he said they were both ill.

So who is lying?

Is being frit of an illness, an illness?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,028

Of course if Johnson sacks Cummings now he just reinforces the idea he follows, rather than leads.

"Weak, weak, weak"

Indeed, this is what I was saying last night. OGH thinks it makes Boris look week if DC stays, I think it makes him look week if, after all this, he bows to pressure.

At the end of the day, Boris has an 80 seat majority and the fish and chips this news will be wrapped around tomorrow will be four years old by the time of the next election.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

So who is lying?

Is Shapps aware of what Mrs Cummings wrote about her husband rushing home to her when she developed symptoms?
  • Options

Whatever Johnson intends to do it needs to be decided by lunchtime. Richard Nixon's ultimatum to Eisenhower is in play, ''piss or get off the pot".

If Johnson is running with Cummings he needs lockdown to be fully over by 9 am tomorrow to save both their blushes. If he lets Cummings go he better have a good handle on what he knew and when he knew about it. Sacrificing Cummings will just beg more uncomfortable questions for Boris.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,642
    edited May 2020
    Sandpit said:

the DC story's doing a great job of keeping the press pack engaged in trivialities.

Yes, triviality indeed. It's a Westminster bubble story, something that too many on PB seem to be trapped inside. Basically it's all about what to do in response to someone having made probably the wrong decision while seeking to resolve a dilemma about how to do the best for their family while under great personal pressure and in less than full health themselves.

So the story is giving Johnson some breathing space. I don't think that the government will be rushing to shut it down, as they then might be at risk of creating more room for the sort of real stories that have crucified their claims to competance over the past few weeks. The sort that have the potential to shift voting intention.

What did revolt me yesterday was Ian Blackford's claim that Cummings actions represented far worse behaviour than that of the Scottish public health chief who Sturgeon defended initially. In the Scottish case it was all about a couple of utterly unavoidable leisure trips for personal gratification, an absolutely blatant breach under no pressure and with no difficult difficult dilemma to resolve. So utter hypocrisy from the SNP's Westminster leader there.
  • Options
    Johnson can keep Cummings or his back benches. He can’t keep both. It only takes 40 Steve Bakers...
    Scott_xP said:
    So, is that three of this fabled 80 seat majority now calling for him to go?
  • Options
    @Wulfrun_Phil this is anything but a Westminster bubble story. EVERYONE is talking about it, even the usually very unpolitically engaged.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,400

Wrong again. Major only had a majority of about 20. You are doing well today.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

the DC story's doing a great job of keeping the press pack engaged in trivialities.

Yes, triviality indeed. It's a Westminster bubble story, something that too many on PB seem to be trapped inside. Basically it's all about what to do in response to someone having made probably the wrong decision while seeking to resolve a dilemma about how to do the best for their family while under great personal pressure and in less than full health themselves.

So the story is giving Johnson some breathing space. I don't think that the government will be rushing to shut it down, as they then might be at risk of creating more room for the sort of real stories that have crucified their claims to competance over the past few weeks. The sort that have the potential to shift voting intention.

What did revolt me yesterday was Ian Blackford's claim that Cummings actions represented far worse behaviour than that of the Scottish public health chief who Sturgeon defended initially. In the Scottish case it was all about a couple of utterly unavoidable leisure trips for personal gratification, an absolutely blatant breach under no pressure and with no difficult difficult dilemma to resolve. So utter hypocrisy from the SNP's Westminster leader there.
    It's not a bubble story.

It's one rule for those in power and another for everyone else. Watch for the beaches to be full and the local police to say sod this and find some proper crimes to solve.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DougSeal said:

Johnson can keep Cummings or his back benches. He can’t keep both. It only takes 40 Steve Bakers...

Scott_xP said:
    So, is that three of this fabled 80 seat majority now calling for him to go?
    Four. William Wragg retweeted Steve Baker.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_xP said:
    George Marshall has a basic principle that retired officers should play no role in politics. I think he was right.

This individual is trading on his police service to imply that the police are opposed to the government

That is wrong
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Sandpit said:

Yes, triviality indeed. It's a Westminster bubble story,
    Oh in some ways I'd love to agree with you because, fwiw, I really couldn't care a less about where Cummings went.

However I'm afraid you are wrong. Everyone I know is talking about it: on social media, in phone conversations, emails, in jokes being passed around.

This is a big story because the Gov't made SUCH a huge thing about staying at home. 'Ordinary people' were fined for lesser misdemeanours. It has touched a very raw nerve because it smacks of precisely what Dom was supposed to be against: an out of touch elite who do what they want in contrast to the rest of us.

It's very very toxic for this Gov't and I will bet you now that they will never recover their level of support to pre-month-of-May levels after this.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    ydoethur said:
    I wonder if Hodges actually watches any of Shapps' interviews before commenting on them.
  • Options
    The biggest news today should be this:

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1264459136441430016?s=21

This government is responsible for thousands of unnecessary deaths.
  • Options

ydoethur said:
    I wonder if Hodges actually watch any of Shapps' interviews before commenting on them.
    What does Hodges believe? Didn't be used to vote Labour?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Wrong again. Major only had a majority of about 20. You are doing well today.
    The Tories have an 80 seat majority. Boris is ill and things are about to seriously fall apart - tomorrow is a bank holiday and people want to go out, get a change of scenario and see their friends.

And if those in power have completely ignored the law and done so, why shouldn't those not in power especially now the risk will be perceived by a lot of people to be lower.
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

The danger for Dom is if more hard evidence comes out to back up the claims that he was in Barnard Castle. Surely there must be some CCTV footage somewhere to back up the allegation.

As I recall, parking is a bugger in Barnard Castle. I wonder where he parked and how he paid.
    ??? On street parking is free and the car park by Morrisons and behind the high street / Witham charges but it's a council car park with dumb ticket machines
    All this time I thought they were talking about Bayard’s Castle in London!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Charles said:

Scott_xP said:
    George Marshall has a basic principle that retired officers should play no role in politics. I think he was right.

This individual is trading on his police service to imply that the police are opposed to the government

That is wrong
    You are doing heroic work here.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I am not sure Boris and Cummings are smart enough to pull off such brilliant subterfuge by deliberately burying the Times story behind the Cummings indescretions?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited May 2020
    kyf_100 said:

Of course if Johnson sacks Cummings now he just reinforces the idea he follows, rather than leads.

"Weak, weak, weak"

Indeed, this is what I was saying last night. OGH thinks it makes Boris look week if DC stays, I think it makes him look week if, after all this, he bows to pressure.

At the end of the day, Boris has an 80 seat majority and the fish and chips this news will be wrapped around tomorrow will be four years old by the time of the next election.
    Yep - time to show strength. If Boris and Cummings manage to sail through the worst the press and Opposition can throw at them now, they will be utterly invincible.

Elated anti-Tories should also remember how they felt the day of Lady Hale's verdict concerning the prorogation, when many thought that Cummings and Boris were finished, and that both Brexit and the Conservative Government - which at that time had no majority whatsoever - were doomed.

Spoiler alert: they weren't. :smile:
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MailOnline does not talk to the Westminster Bubble
    Julia Hartley-Brewer does not talk to the Westminster Bubble
    Heart FM hourly new bulletins do not talk to the Westminster Bubble

Also, you appear to be trapped in yesterday. The story has moved far beyond the 31 March trip made “for the kid”.
  • Options

This Government has made such a cock-up of Coronavirus. Frankly they don't deserve to be polling so highly, I am glad some of the public are starting to see sense.
  • Options
    Charles said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

The danger for Dom is if more hard evidence comes out to back up the claims that he was in Barnard Castle. Surely there must be some CCTV footage somewhere to back up the allegation.

As I recall, parking is a bugger in Barnard Castle. I wonder where he parked and how he paid.
    ??? On street parking is free and the car park by Morrisons and behind the high street / Witham charges but it's a council car park with dumb ticket machines
    All this time I thought they were talking about Bayard’s Castle in London!
    Nope Barnard Castle home of the Bowes Museum.

On the way from Durham to Barnie, is Bishop Auckland which would also be home to some new art galleries if it wasn't for this crisis. At least Jonathan Ruffer has the money to keep things going.
  • Options
    @BluestBlue are you back to continually tell us, all day, that you are not bothered in the slightest?
  • Options
    Blah blah blah

[This message sponsored by Labour HQ, you can pay for your own ad]
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kyf_100 said:

"Weak, weak, weak"

If Boris looks week, Cummings looks day to me.

I would quietly withdraw from the "nothing to see here, fish and chip wrapper" argument if I were you. I can assure you that in 1997 voters had an adequate memory of events in 1992.

Also, feel free to resile from the "It won't change a single vote" claim. I have voted tory in every GE bar one since 1979, being a sound finance and foxhunting kinda guy. With Sunak spending like a drunk duke on his birthday and that arse Raab heading tories against hunting or whatever it's called, it is down to a straight choice whether to trust Boris or the forensicator with the economy. Not the hardest decision, is it?.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

MailOnline does not talk to the Westminster Bubble
    Julia Hartley-Brewer does not talk to the Westminster Bubble
    Heart FM hourly new bulletins do not talk to the Westminster Bubble

Also, you appear to be trapped in yesterday. The story has moved far beyond the 31 March trip made “for the kid”.
    Piers Morgan has 7.5m twitter followers.

He is posting constantly about this disgrace.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,032

WTF.

Schapps now saying Cummings father phoned the police!!!

We are entering Stasi territory now...
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

"Weak, weak, weak"

Yep - time to show strength. If Boris and Cummings manage to sail through the worst the press and Opposition can throw at them now, they will be utterly invincible.

Elated anti-Tories should also remember how they felt the day of Lady Hale's verdict concerning the prorogation, when many thought that Cummings and Boris were finished, and that both Brexit and the Conservative Government - which at that time had no majority whatsoever - were doomed.

As I said yesterday, Cummings staying in post is all the anti-Tory dreams come true. Amongst much else it will cause further fighting in your party. Anyone seen HYUFD on here defending Cummings? You are not a united front at the moment.
  • Options

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

The timing of this is interesting

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1264460021557051393

Despite having a majority of 80, BoZo is weak, and potentially now rudderless.

I do think they fear the entire edifice will collapse.

Do you think you said thst because you are a diehard remainer who would do or say anything to damage Boris...
    I doubt it. As I posted earlier today for Boris it's all downhill from here.
    Its all downhill for any PM or for that mstter any political.career. they all end up gone and largely forgotten.
    Although my mentor was just in the press referring to him as a leading Conservative... he retired before Thatcher...

(Do you have a link to that film you referenced in the PM?)
  • Options
    edited May 2020

kyf_100 said:

"Weak, weak, weak"

Indeed although as I said at the time, the Opposition made the fatal error of letting them off the ropes. They should have gone for the jugular with a VONC, which at that time in that week they would have won.

The problems as we know centred around Jeremy Corbyn and Jo Swinson.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited May 2020
    It's like being at one of those bombastic meetings where no-one speaks up for ages in opposition then one person rather meekly does and then there is suddenly a torrent.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I am not sure Boris and Cummings are smart enough to pull off such brilliant subterfuge?
    Also, difficult to say which is the story and which is the squirrel. It all looks like squirrels to me.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Good morning, everyone.

Instead of worrying about the PM going, perhaps the Cabinet should be welcoming such an eventuality.

Boris Johnson isn't up to the job. From a party political perspective, as well as a national one, the Conservatives are better off with someone else.

But not somebody else from the current cabinet, is the point.
    There was a very interesting interview with Jeremy Hunt (Political Conversation I think) with Nick Robinson.

Hunt said he was looking to having a 3-4 year break from front line politics “to be a better Dad”.

That was a very interesting timeline. Bridges the likely next election date.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:
    At least with them resigning it saves the hassle of firing Cummings sycophants
    Ir's an interesting point, though. Who are these ultra-loyalists who would resign their jobs in protest against Cummings being fired?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yes, triviality indeed. It's a Westminster bubble story,
    Oh in some ways I'd love to agree with you because, fwiw, I really couldn't care a less about where Cummings went.

However I'm afraid you are wrong. Everyone I know is talking about it: on social media, in phone conversations, emails, in jokes being passed around.

This is a big story because the Gov't made SUCH a huge thing about staying at home. 'Ordinary people' were fined for lesser misdemeanours. It has touched a very raw nerve because it smacks of precisely what Dom was supposed to be against: an out of touch elite who do what they want in contrast to the rest of us.

It's very very toxic for this Gov't and I will bet you now that they will never recover their level of support to pre-month-of-May levels after this.
    Excellent post.

It turns out that anti-elite, populists are just another elite. Only worse.

And they looked from pig to man, and man to pig etc etc.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

"Weak, weak, weak"

Seriously reprising your back catalogue now. Got anything a bit newer?
  • Options
    Caroline Nokes also retweeted Iain Dale’s criticism of Dominic Cummings.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

@BluestBlue are you back to continually tell us, all day, that you are not bothered in the slightest?

I know right, how very dare I not do and say exactly what you want? I forgot that your view was the only one permitted on the forum.

Remember how confident you were after the prorogation was rescinded? Kind of similar to how you're feeling now, right?
  • Options

eek said:

Scott_xP said:
    At least with them resigning it saves the hassle of firing Cummings sycophants
    Ir's an interesting point, though. Who are these ultra-loyalists who would resign their jobs in protest against Cummings being fired?
    Bunch of data kids who know the next person wont bother keeping them as it was all Dom's bonkers idea.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

This is another reason why the Cummings story matters -

Which is why Conditional Discharges exist
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,736
    Very large numbers of Tory MPs have so far said nothing at all on twitter in the last day or two, or if commenting have focused on bicycle maintenance vouchers or closure of agricultural colleges. I should think they have all been asked to help and those who have not include new MPs who ought to be easily bullied. It is an interesting non- barking dog.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kyf_100 said:

"Weak, weak, weak"

As I said yesterday, Cummings staying in post is all the anti-Tory dreams come true. Amongst much else it will cause further fighting in your party. Anyone seen HYUFD on here defending Cummings? You are not a united front at the moment.
    There's a wonderful Asterix story, Asterix and the Roman Agent where one individual causes such constant in-fighting and internecine warfare that he does the job of the enemy.

"At a meeting with his associates, it is suggested to Caesar that causing internal conflict between the Gauls will lead to their breakdown. He is then told by another Official about Tortuous Convolvulus, a natural troublemaker whose mere presence causes arguments, quarrels and fights. This had him sentenced to the lions in the circus, but his ability had the lions eat each other and he is still in prison. Impressed by his abilities, Caesar sends him to the Gauls. On the way, Convolvulus has the whole ship arguing, from the captain to the galley slaves; and when the pirates attack the ship, Convolvulus represents one of them as having been bribed earlier by himself, and thus provokes them to sink their own ship. "

Dom Cummings = Tortuous Convolvulus

:D:D:D
  • Options
    What are the views here on how much Cummings was responsible for the 2016 referendum victory?
This discussion has been closed.