Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Boris fan club sticks with their man but other national pa

Comments

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029
    DavidL said:

I don't know who in the government thinks Raab is a good idea for any of this. He is both poor on detail and gets run over by the media.

Gove is much better choice.

No one would say that this is easy but Raab has looked seriously out of his depth in the last few weeks.
    He might have to go over the Harry Dunn business which stubbornly refuses to go away. Patel must be relieved that he is drawing attention away from the Middle Eastern regatta that's going on in La Manche. That would be a significant issue in normal times.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

Johnson's minders must have looked at the final presentation edit before it was aired, and thought, yes, that should do the trick.

Or are we in an Emeror's new clothes situation where Johnson's team thought that really makes no sense but let's not upset Boris.

I suspect the problem is that the plan was to announce a major relaxation on Sunday, then they had a second / third check of the actual figures and realised that it wasn't possible by which point it was too late to cancel the announcement.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

IanB2 said:

My biggest concern is that the science is far from settled a out transmission. The 2m rule is basically like the 5 a day fruits / veg, there is kinda of some science behind i.e. we need a decent amount of those, by eating 5 apples isn't it.

If transmission is via large droplets, 2m is probably far enough, however it is smaller droplets, it isn't.

Slightly concerned that everybody thinks a bit like if i eat 5 bits of fruit and veg that means i have a healthy diet, that if i just stand 2m away all the time, i am safe as houses.

Shouting at somebody 2m away might be just as dangerous, especially with no mask.

The cyclists and joggers passing close and leaving a trail of breath behind them seem the most dangerous. That separated conga that went viral recently was idiotic.
    I thought the evidence suggested the virus was transferred via droplets rather than vapour? Therefore there would be no “trail of breath” as droplets instantly fall to the ground.
    There is a trail down wind in anything but calm air. Another factor omitted from gmt advice, and another reason I'm wary of the 2m rule.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:
    The ONS data suggest the outbreak is in Kendal.
    Bet there are a lot of residential homes in Kendal.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    eek said:

Johnson's minders must have looked at the final presentation edit before it was aired, and thought, yes, that should do the trick.

Or are we in an Emeror's new clothes situation where Johnson's team thought that really makes no sense but let's not upset Boris.

I suspect the problem is that the plan was to announce a major relaxation on Sunday, then they had a second / third check of the actual figures and realised that it wasn't possible by which point it was too late to cancel the announcement.

If that's so, the right course of action would have been to cancel the announcement and to explain why. They would instantly have got a lot of credibility for tough decision-making and got the public to refocus on essentials.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I think this top rated comment on the BBC website sums it up.
    If you think the government sent out mixed messages that is one thing, but adults need to step up and take personal responsibility, and clearly that is a new concept for some of the mollycoddled ones. There will be detail coming for businesses later today but otherwise:

"Truth is there can be no one size fits all way through this. Everyone individual circumstances are just that, individual. Abide by any strict rules but beyond that do want you need to do applying common sense. Do not put yourself or anyone else in danger by thoughtless actions"
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:
    Tayside HB are pretty unchuffed with this map. They have the darkest piece of Scotland but have pointed out repeatedly that this is because they have been doing far more testing than other areas and found more cases. It shows its limitations.
    I was surprised at Tayside being "worse" than Glasgow/Edinburgh - but then "no good deed goes unpunished".
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,146
    eek said:

I don't think there was any plan.

BoZo wanted a good headline after PMQs, so he announced an announcement.

This is the result...
  • Options
    Brom said:

If you think the government sent out mixed messages that is one thing, but adults need to step up and take personal responsibility, and clearly that is a new concept for some of the mollycoddled ones. There will be detail coming for businesses later today but otherwise:

"Truth is there can be no one size fits all way through this. Everyone individual circumstances are just that, individual. Abide by any strict rules but beyond that do want you need to do applying common sense. Do not put yourself or anyone else in danger by thoughtless actions"

That's all well and good (and I have a lot of sympathy with the sentiment), but that's not the government's line. The government's line is that it is still issuing advice. It's just making a complete hash of it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited May 2020

eek said:

If that's so, the right course of action would have been to cancel the announcement and to explain why. They would instantly have got a lot of credibility for tough decision-making and got the public to refocus on essentials.
    It would have been 100% UUUUUUU-TURN and still no roadmap.

The biggest mistake is announcing you are going to be making an announcement way into the future. Then you have days of dead air, people make up shit, government leaks bits of the current thinking, etc.

We had several days of every interaction between the media and politicians along the lines of...

Well you can't tell us what's in this announcement, but are schools going back in the plan?

Well I can't tell you exactly what's in the announcement, but we would like to get schools moving again at some point in the future.

Headline becomes - Schools to reopen

Then government has to say no no no no, that's not what we meant. Then its all confusion and mixed messages.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,559

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1259751595681746944

No, you see we're all just idiots on this site unless we're Tories

The "Stay ALERT" slogan cannot make it clear what people are supposed to do* because it is a slogan for a period of time when what we are allowed to do will change as we move between the different ALERT levels.

* Except insofar as it directs people to the ALERT level to follow the directions for the appropriate level.
    Indeed. Why on earth do you need a slogan to tell you what to DO?

What is wrong with a slogan about actually thinking for yourself?
    Because, Phil me old mucker, actions taken as a result of thinking for yourself might be illegal in this new phase. And the police are about to have greater powers to sanction you if so.
    I would be opposed to the Police getting involved unless something is egregious and clearly illegal.
    Ahhh grasshopper. You are edging towards why we are so interested in all this. There is a new phase, I get it. We might be allowed to do more than previously, we'll wait to see the legislation. And when there is legislation the police will be empowered to enforce it. I would be interested to hear the legal distinction between egregious and illegal but I suspect you don't know it. Neither do I. Hence we need the law to tell us, and the police because it's not the police's job to take your advice about when they should get involved.

So hahaha one parent, two parents, golf, tiddlywinks all a big joke for many PB-ers happily sitting with their families in big houses.

But for many people, perhaps some without the wherewithal to go to the primary legislation, this shit matters. It is the difference between things which will help or hinder their sanity.
    Again what is the law and what is the advice are not the same thing. Nor should they be. The law should be what is egregious and that should be what the Police get involved in.

So one parent, two parents, golf, tiddlywinks etc - I would be amazed if any of that is in the law. Exercising twice a day wasn't and quite right too.

The law and the advice are not the same thing nor should they be.
    I couldn't agree more. As I have said since yesterday at 7.14pm we will wait to see what the SI says as amended or replaced.

But just as @MaxPB took from the briefing that he will be able to go to sit in the park with his friend, so did the PM make clear that the police will have stronger powers to deal with lawbreakers.

So we will wait to see what the law says. It might set a limit on the number of people allowed to congregate (I note that the govt included basketball as a sport which would be ok to take part in...with members of your family...wtf...). Or it might not and it might allow the guidance to do the heavy lifting.

Whatever the law says, whatever the guidance says, however, what we will not be able to do is to think for ourselves. As the one/two parent gathering conundrum has illustrated.
    I'm glad we're agreed.

Power to deal with lawbreakers is quite right but only with lawbreakers. And lawbreakers doesn't (nor should it) necessarily mean everyone breaking "advice".

To make another driving analogy the Highway Code includes a lot of "you must do ..." and a lot of "you should do ..." for different scenarios. EG for driving in wet weather it says you should leave a bigger gap between cars in wet weather. That is sound advice and quite right too. While saying you need to keep to the left is a must so it is the law and the Police can get involved if you don't.

Not all cases of should ought to be must in the law.
    Indeed or the mother of all advice which is not law: Don't drink and drive.

What we can't do when we drink and drive, though, is think for ourselves. It is a very clearly defined limit to blood alcohol levels. You might think you are the safest driver on earth after a bottle of Proper Twelve but the law would say otherwise.
    Absolutely as I said the law should deal with what is egregious.

If you want to drink and drive and be under the limit you need to think for yourself how to do that. There is no answer to "can I drink a pint and drive" or "can I drink two pints and drive" which is what the media are blathering on about with all these hypotheticals expecting set answers to every question they can come up with.
    Your use of the word egregious is meaningless. You either break the law or you don't. Please define egregious behaviour, let's say under the current legislation. Please pretend I am a newly-qualified constable about to head out to Hyde Park (London or Leeds) to go to police this Coronavirus thing.

TIA
    The law. The law should be what is egregious.

The advice should be different. Common sense should be different.

My advice to the constable would be to follow the law. My advice to the public would be to follow the advice. Horses for courses.
    But that's not how it works. The government can advise what it wants but we are not obligated to follow that advice. We need the law to guide us which, ultimately, as you agree from your advice to the constable, is all that matters.

What doesn't come into it at all is thinking for yourself about it all. You can think for yourself all you want right up until the limit of the law. At which point you can't think for yourself; the police will think for you.

And hence, we need to know what the law is.
    That doesn't contradict what I wrote at all.

The law rules out egregious behaviour as illegal. The Police enforce that.

The advice is set at best practice recommendations.

The public think for themselves what to do within the law knowing the advice.
    There's a catch, though.
    Where the costs of making different decisions falls on the person making them, even on their immediate family, you can make a case for rugged libertarianism.

The problem here is that the distribution of costs with something like a virus doesn't look like that. If a smallish group of people act in ways that increase the spread of the virus, it affects everyone. Either more people are going to get it, or they are going to have more constrained lives for longer.

(For example, the outbreak in Alsace and the initial outbreak in South Korea were both down to single gatherings.)

Frustrating as it is, infections are a situation where a significant gap between a legal minimum compliance and best practice guidance is asking for trouble.
  • Options

Brom said:

That's all well and good (and I have a lot of sympathy with the sentiment), but that's not the government's line. The government's line is that it is still issuing advice. It's just making a complete hash of it.
    I think the key word you used there is advice. There are laws to follow, there is advice to listen to but also there is common sense to apply.
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250
    MaxPB said:

Ok, got an email from the golf club saying they have slots open and tee times will be spaced 30 mins apart and maximum two players per tee time. No mention of same household requirement. Tee times reserved for club members as they will have a limited number.

30 minute gap? 4 people an hour is ridiculous
  • Options

You know what, it rather seems to me that the government has become more chaotic since Boris returned to work.

Are you making the case for Raab?
    Aaagh, no!
    I think that what the government is slowly regaining on Boris's return is a sense of direction and purpose. When he was off there was a kind of holding pattern which made the messaging more straightforward. What is clear is that Boris's vision is by no means universally accepted inside government. Add in some poorly briefed and incoherent performances by Raab along with the toxic media atmosphere and you get something that looks pretty close to chaos.

It will be interesting to see what SKS makes of this, this afternoon. It's a target rich environment, is he actually going to have an impact?

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,005
    edited May 2020
    Deleted Quotes mixed up
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,146
    Brom said:

I think the key word you used there is advice. There are laws to follow, there is advice to listen to but also there is common sense to apply.

And that is a problem.

The advice doesn't match the law, and doesn't line up across jurisdictions.

WTF are the public supposed to follow?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_xP said:

eek said:

I don't think there was any plan.

BoZo wanted a good headline after PMQs, so he announced an announcement.

This is the result...
    Except for the fact the announcement had been announced before PMQs.

But why let facts get in the way of your hatred of Boris eh Scott? Just ignore those inconvenient facts.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,863
    edited May 2020
    MaxPB said:

Ok, got an email from the golf club saying they have slots open and tee times will be spaced 30 mins apart and maximum two players per tee time. No mention of same household requirement. Tee times reserved for club members as they will have a limited number.

Dont know how they can make that work on a commercial basis unless its a club with big reserves. Furlough will be preferable for most clubs if they can only get 3 or 4 players per hour.

Enjoy the round.

Thats a max of 20-25 players per day and they will need a workforce of at least 4-5 to keep the course in condition and manage bookings.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,049

Off topic, my first law “eExam” is tomorrow and I’m struggling to concentrate at all - working from home is rubbish.

Good luck! Try some deep breaths and get rid of distractions.
    Seconded. TBH, might be an idea to turn off your browser, unless you need it for revision. Or at least turn off tabs you don't NEED!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,783
    eek said:

FF43 said:

I see we are back on the Dyson nonsense.

If the UK government had run the same schemes for PPE and testing from the beginning, we would have been on a far better position.

That along with the food box system have been two of the better ideas and successes by the government.

Problem was Johnson running the ventilator exercise as a design competition rather than a procurement. In the end it didn't matter because, thank Goodness, the infections ran slightly behind ventilator availability, unlike Italy. Pure luck, not judgment.
    Which is verifable bollocks...there was several strands to the approach, procurement from existing UK suppliers, procurement from abroad, expanded capacity by copying existing design and the new designs.
    The one thing this crisis has been good for is identifying the few posters who care to check what they post is accurate rather than posting the first bit of rubbish that enters their head.
    I assume you are including me in your unsubstantiated "posting the first bit of rubbish that enters my head" category.

Anyway, as of 8th May well after the initial surge subsided, 449 "Ventilator Challenge" ventilators out of the 18 000 target had been delivered (possibly with the addition of 250 other bought in ventilators, depending on how you count it).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-ventilator-challenge-devices-arrive-in-uk
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited May 2020
    Imagine how confused these people would be if the government said

"You've had 8 weeks of information on this disease, and how to cope with it. Think for yourselves, use common sense"
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,088
    coach said:

MaxPB said:

Especially considering in the Tesco queue you’re walking through other people’s breath constantly.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    coach said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah I'm surprised they are bothering given that the club house and pro shop aren't going to be open.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Didn't we also have this 'confusion' bollocks in mid-March when the lockdown was first rolled out? You still had journos saying 'so what if someone needs to do this' and 'what if someone needs to do that?' Now that very same iteration of the lockdown is being held up as some sort of paragon of clarity. Maybe some people are confused because they didn't watch last night's broadcast and are relying on the BBC and the newspapers to report the facts acurately and dispassionately? Which of course would be a mistake.
  • Options
    BantermanBanterman Posts: 287
    coach said:

MaxPB said:

That time gap isn't in the England Golf guide, must be club choice. No need for that, maybe 8 to 10 minutes for 2 balls is super safe.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Sean and his acolytes do not only post their bollox on here, but even by his standards this is absolute barking Little Englander claptrap. ...............

Englishmen are returning to work to do the jobs and pay the taxes that provide the money - for Scotsmen to stay at home. Which also means Englishmen will die so that Scotsmen may live.
    https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/1259789580875726849
  • Options

Off topic, my first law “eExam” is tomorrow and I’m struggling to concentrate at all - working from home is rubbish.

Good luck! Try some deep breaths and get rid of distractions.
    Seconded. TBH, might be an idea to turn off your browser, unless you need it for revision. Or at least turn off tabs you don't NEED!
    I seem to need a PB break every 20 minutes of concentration!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

eek said:

FF43 said:

If the UK government had run the same schemes for PPE and testing from the beginning, we would have been on a far better position.

That along with the food box system have been two of the better ideas and successes by the government.

Problem was Johnson running the ventilator exercise as a design competition rather than a procurement. In the end it didn't matter because, thank Goodness, the infections ran slightly behind ventilator availability, unlike Italy. Pure luck, not judgment.
    Which is verifable bollocks...there was several strands to the approach, procurement from existing UK suppliers, procurement from abroad, expanded capacity by copying existing design and the new designs.
    The one thing this crisis has been good for is identifying the few posters who care to check what they post is accurate rather than posting the first bit of rubbish that enters their head.
    I assume you are including me in your unsubstantiated "posting the first bit of rubbish that enters my head" category.

Anyway, as of 8th May well after the initial surge subsided, 449 "Ventilator Challenge" ventilators out of the 18 000 target had been delivered (possibly with the addition of 250 other bought in ventilators, depending on how you count it).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-ventilator-challenge-devices-arrive-in-uk
    So new ventilators did come in, and your not counting the CPAP machines that came in before then which meant that the ventilators were no longer required in such numbers which is why they weren't proceeded with.
  • Options
    Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

malcolmg said:
    About as rough as your old dear. Seriously anyone who has an issue doesnt have to travel there
    IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's going really well for those fabled comms experts brought in from Vote Leave.
    Very parachocial of South Lakes police. No everyone won't be flooding to the Lake District but we are in this together as a nation so perhaps they should drop the I'm alright Jack attitude.
    I am not confident that you know where the lake District is
    Sadly I have to go that way for Barrow away. The police do not own the land. If I want to travel from Preston for a walk in the lakes and social distance then why shouldn't I? If people are driving there from Devon or hanging around in massive groups then fair enough but otherwise they are just acting like nimbies. It is far bettter that people in nearby urban areas get exercise in remote areas than all stick to the same busy parks.
    So how do you get 'i m alright Jack" from a map showing that they are completely unalright?
    They have an incredibly low population that is spread out. You do realise that if people adhere to the social distancing rules they are highly unlikely to transmit or catch it? Common sense is seemingly lacking here. The idea of creating no go counties and districts of the UK will take us back to the dark ages.
    Bit nasty re my wife, what an absolute arsehole you are.
    Perhaps don't make insults personal then Malky. Pot and kettle fella. You have a lot of growing up to do.
    Seriously, insulting Malc's wife is a sign that you're one of the grown ups?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    edited May 2020
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingcovid19bylocalareasanddeprivation/deathsoccurringbetween1marchand17april#middle-layer-super-output-areas

As of the 2011 Census, here were the number of residents in care homes:

South Lakeland 004 - 131
    South Lakeland 005 - 100
    South Lakeland 006 - 32

It's the 006 area - i.e. the centre of kendal - that has had the most deaths as of the 17 April.
  • Options
    Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

malcolmg said:
    About as rough as your old dear. Seriously anyone who has an issue doesnt have to travel there
    IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's going really well for those fabled comms experts brought in from Vote Leave.
    Very parachocial of South Lakes police. No everyone won't be flooding to the Lake District but we are in this together as a nation so perhaps they should drop the I'm alright Jack attitude.
    I am not confident that you know where the lake District is
    Sadly I have to go that way for Barrow away. The police do not own the land. If I want to travel from Preston for a walk in the lakes and social distance then why shouldn't I? If people are driving there from Devon or hanging around in massive groups then fair enough but otherwise they are just acting like nimbies. It is far bettter that people in nearby urban areas get exercise in remote areas than all stick to the same busy parks.
    So how do you get 'i m alright Jack" from a map showing that they are completely unalright?
    They have an incredibly low population that is spread out. You do realise that if people adhere to the social distancing rules they are highly unlikely to transmit or catch it? Common sense is seemingly lacking here. The idea of creating no go counties and districts of the UK will take us back to the dark ages.
    Bit nasty re my wife, what an absolute arsehole you are.
    Perhaps don't make insults personal then Malky. Pot and kettle fella. You have a lot of growing up to do.
    Feck off back under your rock
    One of the best of your staggering 28,000 posts. A credit to Queen and country.
    Jog on loser
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Dont know how they can make that work on a commercial basis unless its a club with big reserves. Furlough will be preferable for most clubs if they can only get 3 or 4 players per hour.

Enjoy the round.

Thats a max of 20-25 players per day and they will need a workforce of at least 4-5 to keep the course in condition and manage bookings.
    Yeah that was my thought too, but membership fees have been suspended while there is no golf, so I guess they can start getting people to pay again and I'm sure they see this as a decent trial period and eventually they will get threesomes and foursomes back and 20 minute spacing. Loss of the club house is probably the biggest problem though.
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250
    MaxPB said:

coach said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah I'm surprised they are bothering given that the club house and pro shop aren't going to be open.
    May I ask which club? Our board is meeting this afternoon the expectation is 10 minute gaps, singles or with family. Not ideal but better than nothing.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sean and his acolytes do not only post their bollox on here, but even by his standards this is absolute barking Little Englander claptrap. ...............

Englishmen are returning to work to do the jobs and pay the taxes that provide the money - for Scotsmen to stay at home. Which also means Englishmen will die so that Scotsmen may live.

If Sturgeon wants to lock down Scotland for longer she should be free to do so. And if that isn't covered by Barnett consequentials then Sturgeon can raise taxes if need be.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

I don't know who in the government thinks Raab is a good idea for any of this. He is both poor on detail and gets run over by the media.

No one would say that this is easy but Raab has looked seriously out of his depth in the last few weeks.
    He might have to go over the Harry Dunn business which stubbornly refuses to go away. Patel must be relieved that he is drawing attention away from the Middle Eastern regatta that's going on in La Manche. That would be a significant issue in normal times.
    Not sure what he is supposed to have done wrong over Dunn. The woman had diplomatic immunity. She was a senior spy for a close ally. They asked for this to be waived. The US said no. They have requested extradition. The US has said no. Where exactly is he supposed to go next?

Patel is indeed fortunate.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingcovid19bylocalareasanddeprivation/deathsoccurringbetween1marchand17april#middle-layer-super-output-areas

South Lakeland 004 - 131
    South Lakeland 005 - 100
    South Lakeland 006 - 32

It's the 006 area - i.e. the centre of kendal - that has had the most deaths as of the 17 April.
    Numbers are likely to have changed within the last decade though.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    Is this the left wing corbynite ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

South Lakeland 004 - 131
    South Lakeland 005 - 100
    South Lakeland 006 - 32

Numbers are likely to have changed within the last decade though.
    Yep, quite possibly, and there could be all sorts of inconsistencies with recording locations of deaths etc.
  • Options

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Totally. Its not WFH thats the problem. Its WFH and try to supervise my children so that they actually do some online lessons whilst my wife goes to work to supervise other kids at school - thats the problem.
    It's time to get schools back.
    Guess what - that isn't happening until September.
    That's not what Boris said last night. Though it depends upon years.

One of my children will probably be going back to school next month. The other is pre-school and I doubt her nursery will be reopening.
    My teacher grandchildren are trying to work out what to do.
  • Options
    My sense is this message has gone over quite badly
  • Options
    eek said:

Didn't I read somewhere that it was pre-recorded? Don't know how long before, of course.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited May 2020
    MaxPB said:

coach said:

MaxPB said:

Presumably the green staff are there anyway looking after the course, so the marginal cost is one staff member dealing with bookings - for the avoidance of giving hundreds of members another month’s refund.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,783

FF43 said:

eek said:

FF43 said:

So new ventilators did come in, and your not counting the CPAP machines that came in before then which meant that the ventilators were no longer required in such numbers which is why they weren't proceeded with.
    You are spinning this. The number delivered is what it is. Going back to my original points, ventilators were repurposed, eg ambulance ventilators moved to bedside, and we were lucky that the epidemic ran slightly behind our availability, unlike Italy, which I think has procured more ventilators. I am not particularly making a judgment on whether the government got as many as it should have done. My point is that the "ventilator challenge" was a nonsense, but in the end it didn't matter, through luck.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

malcolmg said:

If Sturgeon wants to lock down Scotland for longer she should be free to do so. And if that isn't covered by Barnett consequentials then Sturgeon can raise taxes if need be.
    Surely the principles between the countries of the UK should be the same? Only relax the lockdown when certain conditions are met - and if those conditions have not been met in one country, they should not be relaxed there because they have been met in another? The alternative is we all progress at the pace of the slowest. Or we relax at the pace of the fastest and face second waves in the rest.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

South Lakeland 004 - 131
    South Lakeland 005 - 100
    South Lakeland 006 - 32

Link with a skiing trip?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Not sure what he is supposed to have done wrong over Dunn. The woman had diplomatic immunity. She was a senior spy for a close ally. They asked for this to be waived. The US said no. They have requested extradition. The US has said no. Where exactly is he supposed to go next?

The Americans are never going to waive immunity. End of story. Raab has gone above and beyond there it's a tragedy but nothing can be done about it.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

coach said:

MaxPB said:

Especially considering in the Tesco queue you’re walking through other people’s breath constantly.
    Exactly, all this nonsense about who you can meet or can't meet in a park, for the past 7 weeks people have been standing 2 metres from people they don't know and have been quite happy to do this given by the size of the queses.
  • Options

coach said:

MaxPB said:

Exactly, all this nonsense about who you can meet or can't meet in a park, for the past 7 weeks people have been standing 2 metres from people they don't know and have been quite happy to do this given by the size of the queses.
    And with few wearing masks....
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

FF43 said:

You are spinning this. The number delivered is what it is. Going back to my original points, ventilators were repurposed, eg ambulance ventilators moved to bedside, and we were lucky that the epidemic ran slightly behind our availability, unlike Italy, which I think has procured more ventilators. I am not particularly making a judgment on whether the government got as many as it should have done. My point is that the "ventilator challenge" was a nonsense, but in the end it didn't matter, through luck.
    It wasn't a nonsense, it produced the Mercedes CPAP which has been a real revolution for non-invasive medical intervention for patients that needed oxygen but weren't good candidates for mechanical ventilation.

Your agenda is so transparent.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

South Lakeland 004 - 131
    South Lakeland 005 - 100
    South Lakeland 006 - 32

Hmm... This is one: https://www.carehome.co.uk/carehome.cfm/searchazref/86455
    120 "service users". Unless they are suffering serious occupancy issues....

Edit and here is a bunch more: https://www.carehome.co.uk/care_search_results.cfm/searchtown/Kendal/searchchtype/carehomenursing
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pity she does not have any control over taxes as that is retained by Westminster. Try to engage your brain Philip. Your Little Englander threats are pretty childish, why not Bozo the clown just declare Scotland as independent.
  • Options
    isam said:

Imagine how confused these people would be if the government said

"You've had 8 weeks of information on this disease, and how to cope with it. Think for yourselves, use common sense"

If the government wants to say that, it should say that. But it hasn't.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    That one night out in South Korea by somebody with coronavirus, now at 86 new cases.

Given we won't do state sponsored surveillance, I can't see how in the UK we can ever return to having mass indoor events until there is a vaccine.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

coach said:

MaxPB said:

And running the gauntlet down my high street between the 10-person Iceland queue on one pavement and the 10-person Boots queue on the other! Fine if there's no traffic passing and you can walk down the middle of the road. If not, it's take your pick!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

FF43 said:

Except you are wrong. The CPAP machines came about through the "ventilator challenge" which made the ventilators redundant and found an alternative solution with a better clinical outcome.

So lives were saved due to it.
  • Options

coach said:

MaxPB said:

And running the gauntlet down my high street between the 10-person Iceland queue on one pavement and the 10-person boots queue on the other! Fine if there's no traffic passing and you can walk down the middle of the road. If not, it's take your pick!
    MUST GET BOG ROLL.....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Totally. Its not WFH thats the problem. Its WFH and try to supervise my children so that they actually do some online lessons whilst my wife goes to work to supervise other kids at school - thats the problem.

One of my children will probably be going back to school next month. The other is pre-school and I doubt her nursery will be reopening.
    Are all school children going back before September? If it's just Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 (to which I have to ask what the point is for Year 6) then it's not going to be much use for parents except in those rare occasions where the family is a pair of twins in a lucky year.

As you will notice with pre-school unless all years are back a parent is as stuck at home if 1 child is unable to go to school or 3 children.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

The Americans are never going to waive immunity. End of story. Raab has gone above and beyond there it's a tragedy but nothing can be done about it.
    I am not a fan of Raab, I really struggle to see what others seem to see in him, but I wouldn't blame him for this.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pity she does not have any control over taxes as that is retained by Westminster. Try to engage your brain Philip. Your Little Englander threats are pretty childish, why not Bozo the clown just declare Scotland as independent.
    That's an idea! If Scotland goes independent and cannot rely on English money to bail it out then Sturgeon will certainly have to put taxes up!
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Are all school children going back before September? If it's just Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 (to which I have to ask what the point is for Year 6) then it's not going to be much use for parents except in those rare occasions where the family is a pair of twins in a lucky year.

As you will notice with pre-school unless all years are back a parent is as stuck at home if 1 child is unable to go to school or 3 children.
    I agree with that.

Its good news for the mental wellbeing of the children though. And once some are back we will see what happens for the others.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

And that is a problem.

You follow the law because if not you get prosecuted. You listen to the advice and act upon it wherever you can. Not rocket science. Unless you want the public to learn 10,000 rules with specific detail I don't see any other way of doing things. There is currently ambiguity in every country across the West - people have to grow up quickly and learn that sometimes they will need to apply their own common sense.
  • Options
    eek said:

This is exactly what I think. I think the plan was to do a Germany.
  • Options
    On schools, it's worth noting again that something like 20% of children are eligible still to go to school right now, but fewer than 1% actually do.

The government is going to need to create some demand again among parents for schooling. Just reopening the schools, even year by year, may not be enough.
  • Options

coach said:

MaxPB said:

And running the gauntlet down my high street between the 10-person Iceland queue on one pavement and the 10-person boots queue on the other! Fine if there's no traffic passing and you can walk down the middle of the road. If not, it's take your pick!
    MUST GET BOG ROLL.....
    Can't get Marmite anywhere around here for love nor money. Anyone else facing a similar crisis?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

And that is a problem.

*facepalm*

The public should try to follow the advice, but if they don't they should still stay within the law.

The law and advice are never the same nor should they ever be. It would be a bloody moronic pathetically stupid idea to make them the same in any walk of life. I can see why you're keen.
  • Options

On schools, it's worth noting again that something like 20% of children are eligible still to go to school right now, but fewer than 1% actually do.

The government is going to need to create some demand again among parents for schooling. Just reopening the schools, even year by year, may not be enough.

Hazmat suits and decontamination?
  • Options
    Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

And that is a problem.

You follow the law because if not you get prosecuted. You listen to the advice and act upon it wherever you can. Not rocket science. Unless you want the public to learn 10,000 rules with specific detail I don't see any other way of doing things. There is currently ambiguity in every country across the West - people have to grow up quickly and learn that sometimes they will need to apply their own common sense.
    Do you think the government has yet been clear about which bits are rules, which bits are advice and where it's expecting people to use common sense? Because not even government spokespeople seem capable of sticking to the same line.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

He should have started with those realities instead of stringing the family along to keep the tabloids at bay.
  • Options

That one night out in South Korea by somebody with coronavirus, now at 86 new cases.

Given we won't do state sponsored surveillance, I can't see how in the UK we can ever return to having mass indoor events until there is a vaccine.

The super spreader is a particularly malevolent aspect of this virus. If you meet one in infectious mode very little contact is required whilst many with the virus seem barely infectious at all. Very, very hard to legislate for both. We need the ability to trace and isolate super spreaders really fast, waiting 5-7 days for test results simply will not do.
  • Options
    A number of schools in Beijing are trialling temperature-testing bracelets in a bid to control the coronavirus pandemic. The temperature bands are monitored by schools and parents via an app, according to local media.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131

malcolmg said:

Do you think Sunak should fund all the coronavirus measures from taxation?
  • Options
    Starmer plays politics well by refusing to back a Brexit extension so he can watch the Government hang itself.
  • Options
    I can report that the main road outside my station is a lot busier than it has been. Seeing lorries and vans from businesses that I haven't seen since this all began.
    My impression is that people will Interpret Johnson's message last night in the way that suits them most. My middle lad believes it means he can go and pick his girlfriend up from her university. My wife thinks nothing much has changed and she's going to Stay Frosty for the foreseeable. It was noticeably busier on my drive into work this morning.
    Haven't seen any Plod at all, so I can't say if they're enforcing Alertness or not.
  • Options

It depends what the advice is.

Personally speaking my wife is a key worker but I'm not so I'm at home. My children are at home with me because the advice is to keep them at home if you can but they still fall within that 20% of children eligible.

If the advice changes next month to say she should go to school then I will take her to school, it will be good for her mental health. I'll still have my other daughter at home with me so it won't change my situation.
  • Options
    That's all very fair, I think the message was fine but the communication has been a disaster. Not having ministers on the same page has also been wrong and tbh, I'd also have given the opposition the measures an hour before the announcement.
  • Options
    Perhaps they should have announced it in Parliament after all, as per tradition?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Do you think Sunak should fund all the coronavirus measures from taxation?
    No, debt.
  • Options

I can report that the main road outside my station is a lot busier than it has been. Seeing lorries and vans from businesses that I haven't seen since this all began.
    My impression is that people will Interpret Johnson's message last night in the way that suits them most. My middle lad believes it means he can go and pick his girlfriend up from her university. My wife thinks nothing much has changed and she's going to Stay Frosty for the foreseeable. It was noticeably busier on my drive into work this morning.
    Haven't seen any Plod at all, so I can't say if they're enforcing Alertness or not.

The new guidelines are unenforceable in any practical sense - except glaring gangs of people having barbies in the park etc - so I envisage most forces are no longer bothering.
  • Options
    This announcement is really starting to run away from the Government, IMHO.

I tend to think polling is pretty accurate so it suggests that I'm far from alone in having absolutely no idea what the advice is.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Starmer plays politics well by refusing to back a Brexit extension so he can watch the Government hang itself.

We are awaiting for Starmer to come up with some constructive input rather than saying 'it's all bad'. Looks like LAB will be looking for another new leader when Starmer loses at next GE!
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

We are awaiting for Starmer to come up with some constructive input rather than saying 'it's all bad'. Looks like LAB will be looking for another new leader when Starmer loses at next GE!
    Brexit is a massive issue for Labour, he's best running a country mile from it.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

He should have started with those realities instead of stringing the family along to keep the tabloids at bay.
    We don't know what was said in the meetings but the government were right to put what pressure we could and can on the US over this. The behaviour of Sacoolas is morally shocking.
  • Options

The PB mobile site is now live

Works very nicely!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Surely the principles between the countries of the UK should be the same? Only relax the lockdown when certain conditions are met - and if those conditions have not been met in one country, they should not be relaxed there because they have been met in another? The alternative is we all progress at the pace of the slowest. Or we relax at the pace of the fastest and face second waves in the rest.
    Exactly, and possibly even regions in England given the population. Just force feeding everyone to open up based on everybody has to follow what London says is stupidity in the extreme.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321
    Surely its simple - the advice is simple and clear and thats why the most senior cabinet ministers don't understand it.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

I tend to think polling is pretty accurate so it suggests that I'm far from alone in having absolutely no idea what the advice is.

Strange my 13 year old nephew understood it easily, as he put it "you can go out more just stay 2 metres from everyone who doesn't live with you."
  • Options

I remember reading your pre-GE comments. I can judge your 'IMHO' comment from how accurate they were.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Ave_it said:

Oppositions are there to oppose and hold the government to account

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited May 2020
    Actually what has been revealing amongst this crisis is how many people who, I would guess, consider themselves proud atheists, the type that mock organised religion and all that follow it, have really just replaced traditional religion and its leaders with politics. They cant think for themselves and wait on the PM/Govt every pronouncement in order to live their life in just the way people used to on Vicars/Churches in the old days, yet they genuinely believe they are above all that.

The people whose tweets Scott has chosen to post today would no doubt say "Tell us how to fuck off!" if Boris told them to
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321

The new guidelines are unenforceable in any practical sense - except glaring gangs of people having barbies in the park etc - so I envisage most forces are no longer bothering.
    I suspect this is what the government want - let people get infected but by their own choice rather than by ordering them to do so. "You MUST risk your lives for my hedge fund friends" isn't much of a message. "We've given advice you should have followed it" gives them cover.
  • Options

Friendly feedback.

The comments are snipping the left hand characters on my phone still (Samsung S9 if its relevant) - so will still stick to Vanilla's site for now.

The article section is clean and easy to read.
  • Options

Friendly feedback.

The comments are snipping the left hand characters on my phone still (Samsung S9 if its relevant) - so will still stick to Vanilla's site for now.

The article section is clean and easy to read.
    Same on my iPhone 8. Other than that it’s very good.
  • Options
    isam said:

Actually what has been revealing amongst this crisis is how many people who, I would guess, consider themselves proud atheists, the type that mock organised religion and all that follow it, have really just replaced traditional religion and its leaders with politics. They cant think for themselves and wait on the PM/Govt every pronouncement in order to live their life in just the way people used to on Vicars/Churches in the old days, yet they genuinely believe they are above all that.

The people whose tweets Scott has chosen to post today would no doubt say "Tell us how to fuck off!" if Boris told them to

You're mischaracterising a lot of the concern. The government should shit or get off the pot. Currently it is doing neither.
This discussion has been closed.