Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The government needs to sort out the PPE issues or it will be

Comments

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

Andy_JS said:

What's the evidence for asserting the UK may be the worst-affected country in Europe?

The lack of testing, Sir Jeremy Farrar advised the German government to test, test, test, and they listened to him.

Now compare our stats to Germany's?
    Has anybody ever seen me and TSE in the same room?
    Yes, several PBers did at a meet up in Yorkshire, or was it London?
    I think the last one in London was May 2017.
    We also met in Ilkley during the cycling.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Government is working to the strategy that the PM set out while Boris is spending an indeterminate time recuperating.

What if the strategy needs to change?

Why would 'sit on arse until the peak passes' need to change?
    So you are saying the government hasn't (needed to) change strategy since the beginning?
    I think he's saying it won't need to change in the next few days/
    Sorry to labour this, but @Charles said last week that Boris would resign if he was still not able to operate within six months. And the clock is ticking. Charles presumably wouldn't have said that if he thought we were being governed optimally now so at what point do we, as a nation, say we need 100% government? Now? After a few days? After three months?

I would say now is precisely the time we need a government operating at 100%.

Nor do I want Boris to resign. I want the government to outline, in some detail, who is making decisions, and with what authority, while Boris is hors de combat. At the moment, the government is operating under Boris' strategy while Boris rests up. But what if tomorrow that strategy needs to change?

And as such, the media is absolutely right to ask the "who is governing Britain" questions. Although of course they haven't been these past couple of days, which is a shame.
    I think the strategy would change, if it needed to change.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

Boris will be an absolute folk hero now. The totemic leader who beat the bug. The Easter king, returned from the tomb

https://twitter.com/borisjohnson/status/1249336590482243585?s=21

Very well done, a well-pitched speech, emotional. Thanking the nurses by name. He looks OK, but needs some smaller clothes. Jacket looks a tad baggy, face is drawn.
    Not sure I would recommend ICU / pneumonia over weight watchers...I lost a stone in 10 days when I had it a couple of years ago.
    He looks exactly as you would expect a man to look, who had a brush with death. He needs to go away and lie down for a fortnight. And very slowly go back to work’

There are already nutters on twitter saying his reappearance means it was all a hoax
    Talking of Conspiracy Theories:

Please tell us whether you think each of the following is true or false

- The Coronavirus pandemic was caused by the rollout of 5G

True:
    Con: 6%
    Lab: 9%
    Leave: 4%
    Remain: 7%

https://www.opinium.co.uk/public-opinion-on-coronavirus-7th-april/
    hang on aren't we always told left leaning folk and remainers are more intelligent?
    We're generally better at understanding margins of error. Sadly Opinium hasn't included their estimated MoE in their figures (or at least I can't find it in their disaster of an excel sheet), but generally polling cites a +/-3% MoE, so with that in mind Carlotta is grasping at straws.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Boris will be an absolute folk hero now. The totemic leader who beat the bug. The Easter king, returned from the tomb

Yes of all the days to rise up again Easter Sunday was surely the day for him to do it
    It is vomit inducing , he has two nurses round the clock yet the plebs are lucky if they get one for 6-8 patients. Was not much wrong with him if he only had a couple of days in hospital that is for sure.
    I think the reality probably lies somewhere between the second resurrection hyperbole, and your rather more cynical take on things, malcolm.
    It is extremely bad taste to boast about having two nurses round the clock when lots of people's loved ones are dying in wards with hardly any or in nursing homes etc. The clown must know not everybody gets such VIP treatment. A bit of humility rather than triumphalism by Tories might be a bit more circumspect. Comparisons on here to him being Jesus are particularly nasty.
    Unlike every syllable you write, which in the alternate reality you occupy you must imagine are not nasty at all.
    Certainly nothing comparable to that for certain and nowhere near the obscene Tory utterings on here.
    My dear Malcolm, you have not seen the depth of Tory obscenity. This is what we're like in public, in our Sunday best and on our best behaviour :smile:
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

I am curious to know where the fault for lack of PPE here lies, while certainly politicians should be doing a lot more to make it happen as far as I know the money is available. That therefore points to either procurement or distribution. I can imagine procurement being at fault because someone somewhere is sticking to non crisis procedures, or alternatively they keep getting outbid for masks.

A lot is made in China, which has been stealing stockpiles. There is also some distribution issues because the government took over a lot but was only used to going to hospitals. It’s also massively more in demand than expected so there is a general shortage.

But does anyone else find it distasteful that the union is saying “don’t work” to the nurses. I agree that the government should be going all they can to source more PPE - and I’m sure they are - but “don’t work” is not a constructive approach to the public health crisis we are in (and I suspect nurses on the ground will ignore their union)
    To be fair to the union, this is actually consistent with health and safety advice given in other hazardous situations. If you put yourself at severe risk of harm in trying to rescue someone else from it - whether it's by blundering into a situation where you are not in full possession of the facts, through lack of vital safety equipment, or for any other reason - and you thereby end up coming to harm yourself, then you can make things worse by increasing the total number of casualties that have to be dealt with.

In practice, of course, people often being selfless, I suspect that you're right and most nurses will ignore such calls. They shouldn't have to make that choice, but it's bound to arise given the prevailing circumstances.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

No problems with the eulogisers?

Exactly. The one triggers the other.

The prosaic probable truth is that they did not take any chances whatsoever with him, therefore ICU came into play at a point when your average patient would be monitored outside of it, and the human resource employed in his care was at the very upper end of what is feasible.

All of which (for me) is absolutely fine and reasonable. He is the PM.

But if somebody starts tearing up and telling me what a fucking messiah he is, then I'm going to be sorely tempted to reply with, "Don't be a softhead, he was barely ill, guy's clearly milking it for all he's worth."

And so it goes.
    Pretty well where I am.
    And glad he’s recovered.
    Exactly good he has recovered , but he got special treatment and then uses it as a PR job.
    He’s a politician, malcolm.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Government is working to the strategy that the PM set out while Boris is spending an indeterminate time recuperating.

So you are saying the government hasn't (needed to) change strategy since the beginning?
    Sorry to labour this, but @Charles said last week that Boris would resign if he was still not able to operate within six months. And the clock is ticking. Charles presumably wouldn't have said that if he thought we were being governed optimally now so at what point do we, as a nation, say we need 100% government? Now? After a few days? After three months?

Nor do I want Boris to resign. I want the government to outline, in some detail, who is making decisions, and with what authority, while Boris is hors de combat. At the moment, the government is operating under Boris' strategy while Boris rests up. But what if tomorrow that strategy needs to change?

And as such, the media is absolutely right to ask the "who is governing Britain" questions. Although of course they haven't been these past couple of days, which is a shame.
    We really should formalise our line of succession in law. It's frankly potty that the smallest of businesses will generally have that contingency planning in place but the government seems not to.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

Very well done, a well-pitched speech, emotional. Thanking the nurses by name. He looks OK, but needs some smaller clothes. Jacket looks a tad baggy, face is drawn.
    Not sure I would recommend ICU / pneumonia over weight watchers...I lost a stone in 10 days when I had it a couple of years ago.
    He looks exactly as you would expect a man to look, who had a brush with death. He needs to go away and lie down for a fortnight. And very slowly go back to work’

There are already nutters on twitter saying his reappearance means it was all a hoax

True:

hang on aren't we always told left leaning folk and remainers are more intelligent?
    The people who tell us that ARE left leaning folk and remainers. ;)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015

I’m finding a lot of the comments on here today about someone who has been in ICU very depressing and cold. Might be time for me to take another break from PB.

One can barely conceive the eulogies you'll be delivering to Salmond or Sturgeon if they came through a similar hell successfully, so why not use your imagination?
    Away you half witted nutter, we are more sensible than jessie boys like you, we would just say well done and get on with it , we would not be running about comparing them to Jesus and the second coming. I am permanently amazed at the stupidity of the cretins who come on here and spout utter crap. I can only hope you are under sixteen and have an excuse.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

True:

With this piece of garbage you are looking at the hippy, gloop believers. Not natural gammon material, really.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    ydoethur said:

It’s enormous exasperation at the shit sandwich I had to eat at the last election, when I abstained for the first time in my life.

It’s also cathartic in reminding me why, in spite of everything, my overwhelming emotion the day after the election was one of relief, mingled with bewilderment.

As for gone and not coming back - I will believe that when Corbyn, Macdonell, Abbott, Burgon, Lavery and Butler have left politics, and not before. Starmer’s interview was good, his front bench much less so.

OK. But we have Johnson and his landslide government on the one hand and on the other a bunch of people sidelined by their own party, therefore not even in opposition. This is not an equivalence. Not even close. So you can from now on slag off the government in a pure and forceful manner, unsullied by any "balancing" reference to things Corbyn. Indeed I would encourage you to do so.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

If he'd said nothing

The prosaic probable truth is that they did not take any chances whatsoever with him, therefore ICU came into play at a point when your average patient would be monitored outside of it, and the human resource employed in his care was at the very upper end of what is feasible.

But if somebody starts tearing up and telling me what a fucking messiah he is, then I'm going to be sorely tempted to reply with, "Don't be a softhead, he was barely ill, guy's clearly milking it for all he's worth."

And so it goes.
    Pretty well where I am.
    And glad he’s recovered.
    Exactly good he has recovered , but he got special treatment and then uses it as a PR job.
    He’s a politician, malcolm.

If he'd said nothing - there'd be screaming from the rooftops about what a heartless bastard he was. I fond much of this thread very distasteful. I understand the laxity allowed on here to some posters but many may not. Very unpleasant.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

True:

With this piece of garbage you are looking at the hippy, gloop believers. Not natural gammon material, really.
    That one person in the CLP meeting who goes off on one every other week about fluoride in the water.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

I am curious to know where the fault for lack of PPE here lies, while certainly politicians should be doing a lot more to make it happen as far as I know the money is available. That therefore points to either procurement or distribution. I can imagine procurement being at fault because someone somewhere is sticking to non crisis procedures, or alternatively they keep getting outbid for masks.

A lot is made in China, which has been stealing stockpiles. There is also some distribution issues because the government took over a lot but was only used to going to hospitals. It’s also massively more in demand than expected so there is a general shortage.

But does anyone else find it distasteful that the union is saying “don’t work” to the nurses. I agree that the government should be going all they can to source more PPE - and I’m sure they are - but “don’t work” is not a constructive approach to the public health crisis we are in (and I suspect nurses on the ground will ignore their union)
    Not distateful at all, they have families and young children etc, why should they risk their lives due to the incompetence of well paid politicians. Get the politicians down there , tell them they are getting a fraction of their fat salaries , give them a bin bag and tell them to get stuck in, see how many turn up.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    ydoethur said:

I mean, come on, seriously? 77% think Trump is not being blackmailed by the Russians?

LOL. Yes, I think I'd have said "Hmm, not sure" to that one.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    OnboardG1 said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

We really should formalise our line of succession in law. It's frankly potty that the smallest of businesses will generally have that contingency planning in place but the government seems not to.
    Yep. Please turn to Page 110 of the Government handbook which explains that in the event of...

But as you say, a lot is just based upon assumption. I hope of course this is a wake up call to all concerned and future governments.
  • Options
    johnoundlejohnoundle Posts: 120
    Can anyone name a country in Europe that doesn't have PPE problems?
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

True:

We're generally better at understanding margins of error. Sadly Opinium hasn't included their estimated MoE in their figures (or at least I can't find it in their disaster of an excel sheet), but generally polling cites a +/-3% MoE, so with that in mind Carlotta is grasping at straws.
    Isn't the margin of error smaller when the percentages themselves are smaller?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Here is HMG's latest position on PPE, published 10/4 aka Good Friday.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-sets-out-plan-for-national-effort-on-ppe

As you can see everything is in hand and there is a new website written by the army that will be launched in the next few weeks.

That is great things will be better in a month or so, you have reassured us they are doing a great job
    From that gov.uk paper, it is hard to fault (at least at first glance) any of what HMG is doing but it is the complete lack of urgency that is shocking. Boris needs to read this thread's header and "action this day" a new appointment.
    They are just copying Trump, every day they say we are going to do testing , huge amounts of testing , huge amounts, PPE we have ordered huge amounts of PPE , huge amounts and yet it never materialises. Worst is when they start using numbers as they are not good at counting and make a right hash of it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-sets-out-plan-for-national-effort-on-ppe

As you can see everything is in hand and there is a new website written by the army that will be launched in the next few weeks.

That is great things will be better in a month or so, you have reassured us they are doing a great job
    From that gov.uk paper, it is hard to fault (at least at first glance) any of what HMG is doing but it is the complete lack of urgency that is shocking. Boris needs to read this thread's header and "action this day" a new appointment.
    They are just copying Trump, every day they say we are going to do testing , huge amounts of testing , huge amounts, PPE we have ordered huge amounts of PPE , huge amounts and yet it never materialises. Worst is when they start using numbers as they are not good at counting and make a right hash of it.
    You think they are lying about the numbers they quote?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    malcolmg said:

I’m finding a lot of the comments on here today about someone who has been in ICU very depressing and cold. Might be time for me to take another break from PB.

One can barely conceive the eulogies you'll be delivering to Salmond or Sturgeon if they came through a similar hell successfully, so why not use your imagination?
    Away you half witted nutter, we are more sensible than jessie boys like you, we would just say well done and get on with it , we would not be running about comparing them to Jesus and the second coming. I am permanently amazed at the stupidity of the cretins who come on here and spout utter crap. I can only hope you are under sixteen and have an excuse.
    Aside from being a massive southern Tory jessie, I do have an excellent reason, and one that even you might appreciate. Boris Johnson and I have a special Scottish connection in common, and it tends to get us a little emotional from time to time.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    kinabalu said:

And so it goes.
    Aye, just so. I'd say the prevailing view in Scotland (which experts on here tell me is just like the rest of the UK reely) tends to be 'I still think he's a dick but it's good that he didn't die'.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Yes of all the days to rise up again Easter Sunday was surely the day for him to do it
    It is vomit inducing , he has two nurses round the clock yet the plebs are lucky if they get one for 6-8 patients. Was not much wrong with him if he only had a couple of days in hospital that is for sure.
    I think the reality probably lies somewhere between the second resurrection hyperbole, and your rather more cynical take on things, malcolm.
    It is extremely bad taste to boast about having two nurses round the clock when lots of people's loved ones are dying in wards with hardly any or in nursing homes etc. The clown must know not everybody gets such VIP treatment. A bit of humility rather than triumphalism by Tories might be a bit more circumspect. Comparisons on here to him being Jesus are particularly nasty.
    Unlike every syllable you write, which in the alternate reality you occupy you must imagine are not nasty at all.
    Certainly nothing comparable to that for certain and nowhere near the obscene Tory utterings on here.
    My dear Malcolm, you have not seen the depth of Tory obscenity. This is what we're like in public, in our Sunday best and on our best behaviour :smile:
    I believe you as well, bet you are spit roasting an orphan as you post. >:)
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    TGOHF666 said:

So can Keith Stammer be a sensible choice for PM as he hasn’t had Covid ?

Too big a risk surely ?

How exactly would he be doing any worse than Doris?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    Seems like virtually the only major European country that has done anything right, to read that, given how events have proceeded.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

What else are you supposed to have for sunday roast?
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

So can Keith Stammer be a sensible choice for PM as he hasn’t had Covid ?

Too big a risk surely ?

Is this constant deliberate misnaming if Starmer by certain posters meant to be funny? It’s of a level with ‘Camoron’ - ffs grow up.
    I expect it shall die down. Just a reaction to some overly defensive (and indeed, insulting) responses to accidental misspelling of his name. If people will get overly defensive then others will needle at that point.
  • Options
    Even Germany has serious PPE supply problems.

Coronavirus: Germany to centralize supply chains, set prices ...www.dw.com › coronavirus-germany-to-centralize-supply-chains-set-...
    30 Mar 2020 - ... attempt to sterilize and re-use masks as they search desperately for suppliers. ... Likewise, a German government shipment of millions of masks from Kenya ... 3 and 10, Europol confiscated 34,000 counterfeit surgical masks.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Orphans are no good. You don't get the satisfaction of thinking of their parents' reactions. That's the gravy.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eadric said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

I doubt they are nutters, how many are in and out in 2 days with this.
    Malc, that's daft.
    he is milking it
    He's certainly leaning on it heavily to make his point about the NHS, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.
    I found it distasteful and the Tory utterings are bordering on obscene.
    No class and no empathy with the hundreds of people losing loved ones daily. Nasty nasty people and we see the worst of them on here.

I take it the quest for indy isn’t going so well?

;)
    Only a cretin would say something as crass as that, oh wait you are the cretin that compared him to Jesus.
    You obnoxious odious creatures that infest the Tory party have no morals or principles, rotten to the core.
    Ironically Seadtronic, despite going on and on about normalcy bias as if he invented it, suffers from a form of it in relation to Scottish indy. Year on year, month in, month out, everything is bad for Scottish indy and nothing will change that; it renders him incapable of saying anything interesting on the subject.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Rob, I think they pull them out of their rear end, if they just told people the truth and said it was very difficult and they were doing their best rather than setting stupid targets they never meet. I listened to Hancock the other day and he went on about having said two weeks ago we will have 26 million and then said he had delivered 14 million in the last two weeks later on and made himself look a right bellend.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880

Germany

Too Easy

Next
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Orphans are no good. You don't get the satisfaction of thinking of their parents' reactions. That's the gravy.
    To be accurate, the parents tears provide the seasoning for the gravy....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

and you believe that that is a coincidence?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2020
    Happy Easter..with Italian data

Active cases: 102.253 (+1.984) including 3.343 (-38) in ICU
    Deaths: 431 (total 19.899)
    Healed/discharged: 1677 (total 34.211)

New cases: 4092 for total number of cases of 156363

• Options

Germany

Too Easy

Next
    Except apparently not.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Aside from being a massive southern Tory jessie, I do have an excellent reason, and one that even you might appreciate. Boris Johnson and I have a special Scottish connection in common, and it tends to get us a little emotional from time to time.
    I am intrigued now , did you both have Scottish nannies before jetting off to prep school..
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Rob, I think they pull them out of their rear end, if they just told people the truth and said it was very difficult and they were doing their best rather than setting stupid targets they never meet. I listened to Hancock the other day and he went on about having said two weeks ago we will have 26 million and then said he had delivered 14 million in the last two weeks later on and made himself look a right bellend.
    Wait a minute. You are saying the numbers are just completely made up with no basis in reality?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Come now, if the parents have been offed by some piece of heavy industrial machinery or a pit accident, that's worth a Michelin star at least.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

It’s enormous exasperation at the shit sandwich I had to eat at the last election, when I abstained for the first time in my life.

It’s also cathartic in reminding me why, in spite of everything, my overwhelming emotion the day after the election was one of relief, mingled with bewilderment.

As for gone and not coming back - I will believe that when Corbyn, Macdonell, Abbott, Burgon, Lavery and Butler have left politics, and not before. Starmer’s interview was good, his front bench much less so.

OK. But we have Johnson and his landslide government on the one hand and on the other a bunch of people sidelined by their own party, therefore not even in opposition. This is not an equivalence. Not even close. So you can from now on slag off the government in a pure and forceful manner, unsullied by any "balancing" reference to things Corbyn. Indeed I would encourage you to do so.
    Call it deep mental scarring.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Don't hit your arse on the door on the way out loser.
    Malc.

There are times when we all need to be kinder and no matter our politics to show some compassion. Nothing is achieved by always being angry. Time to tone down just a wee bit
  • Options

Germany

Too Easy

Next

Search Results
    Web results

You managed to call it wrong yet again.

Coronavirus: Germany to centralize supply chains, set prices ...www.dw.com › coronavirus-germany-to-centralize-supply-chains-set-...
    30 Mar 2020 - ... attempt to sterilize and re-use masks as they search desperately for suppliers. ... Likewise, a German government shipment of millions of masks from Kenya ... 3 and 10, Europol confiscated 34,000 counterfeit surgical masks.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    I didn't realise that Galloway has set up another party by looks of it:

https://twitter.com/WorkersPartyGB
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I am intrigued now , did you both have Scottish nannies before jetting off to prep school..
    I would have thought the only time Johnson had a Scottish nanny was when he was at Oxford and she was at a loose end.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    edited April 2020
    Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

True:

The vapour trails emitted by jet engines contain chemicals that have been added for secret and sinister purposes"

True:
    Con: 8%
    Lab: 14%
    Leave: 7%
    Remain: 11%

SNP voters are most likely (35%) to believe that Donald Trump is being blackmailed by the Russian government, Remain voters are nearly twice as likely to believe the world is a flat disc (7% vs 4%), and 50% more likely to believe in Horoscopes (12% vs 8%). On other questions (Climate change a hoax, fake moon landings) Leave voters are ahead (sic) of Remain voters.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    Late afternoon all :)

The comment by Governor Cuomo basically opens the next stage of this:

"Nobody wants to pick between a public health strategy and an economic strategy,"

I suspect we are heading to the point when we are going to have to.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

No, it's a bit more obvious than that, but I think I'll leave it there.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Late afternoon all :)

The comment by Governor Cuomo basically opens the next stage of this:

"Nobody wants to pick between a public health strategy and an economic strategy,"

I suspect we are heading to the point when we are going to have to.

It will be talked of more and more in the next few weeks, with a 'relaxation' date much debated I expect. Wonder if there is a market on it. I'd be on June.

I'm also 1000% convinced that whatever date is chosen it will be seen as too early by some and too late by others, so I don't even picking the right moment.
  • Options
    The shortages have already become apparent at many clinics and hospitals in Germany, whose health system usually ranks as among the world's best. Many procurement directors have reported having no choice but to attempt to sterilize and re-use masks as they search desperately for suppliers.

But those supplying key products amid a pandemic may not all be on the level. There have been widespread reports of fake protective gear being sold, or the legitimate products simply disappearing before arrival — stolen by unscrupulous thieves looking to resell them at astronomical profits.

Read more: Europol warns against coronavirus scams

Europol, the EU's law enforcement agency, reported that one European firm ordered some €6.6 million ($7.3 million) worth of protective masks and disinfection gel from a company in Singapore — which never arrived. Likewise, a German government shipment of millions of masks from Kenya never turned up. And the Netherlands recently recalled millions of defective masks bought from China.

The market has been flooded with "counterfeit health and sanitary products" and even phony medications, said the police agency. In just one coordinated operation between March 3 and 10, Europol confiscated 34,000 counterfeit surgical masks.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966

Germany

Too Easy

Next
    Wrong
  • Options
    ha_śaṭanha_śaṭan Posts: 5
    edited April 2020

malcolmg said:

Malc.

There are times when we all need to be kinder and no matter our politics to show some compassion. Nothing is achieved by always being angry. Time to tone down just a wee bit
    I absolutely second that. Let us be in no doubt it is completely wrong to call into question Boris Johnson’s own character in his covid battle, nor question the political character of his government. Sure he had a test others who wanted one couldn’t get, and yes he may have been fast tracked to the oxygen mask without battling through 111 etc like the general public, but the fact trumping all inappropriate remarks of his opponents is If Johnson himself hoped and prayed and sought to be treated the same as the medical team treating him, Just same as anybody else in the country, he simply wouldn’t be allowed, because it is a matter of importance to ourselves as a nation to do what we can to prevent our nations PM dying, avoid obvious damage to national morale, prevent distractions from consistent and clear leadership at this important time, and degree of reputational damage internationally.

The treatment worked, we should all take some comfort from it now, and move on. It’s no longer a story let alone ‘the’ story.
  • Options

Well, some of the other groups like the Socialist Labour Party, the Workers Party, the Community Party of Britain, the Socialist (GB) Party, the Workers Revolutionary Party, Left Unity, Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition, Socialist Alternative, Democratic Socialist Party, Democratic Labour Party, the Community Party of Great Britain, Socialist Unity* have not been active or successful lately, so there's definitely room for some more.

*One of these is not real. Top marks to anyone who gets it.
  • Options
    YDGYDG Posts: 7

I'm intrigued by Hancock's implication that front line staff are wasting/mis-using PPE. He can't possibly have seen that for himself, so where did he get it? I can't help wondering if senior NHS bureaucrats fed him that line to divert attention from their own failures.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    edited April 2020
    eadric said:

I think you’re misreading kinabulu

With TOPPING I am never quite certain if it's bluff, double bluff, on occasion triple bluff, or even just straight up and no bluff whatsoever. You can get thoroughly discombobulated with his malarkey if you're not careful.

He is the wokest PB tory, that I can say, but otherwise it's opaque. I used to think he liked me, then I thought he actively didn't. Then for a while it seemed he just didn't care either way, that I was not even on the radar, bigger fish to fry.

Now? I really don't know.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

But you aren't the one that it likely to die because of the government's failure to provide adequate PPE are you?

(Having said that I expect the vast majority of medical and care staff will continue to work on regardless while the hedge-fund managers retreat to the safety of their multi million pound second homes in the country)
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Come now, if the parents have been offed by some piece of heavy industrial machinery or a pit accident, that's worth a Michelin star at least.
    Sure, but there's so little heavy industry or mining left in this country now it'd be a rare treat. Unintended consequences of the war against the working class.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259
    kle4 said:

Seems like virtually the only major European country that has done anything right, to read that, given how events have proceeded.
    Yet Germany failed to contain the virus. It seemed more important for the authorities here not to inconvenience people going on skiing holidays than to seriously try to contain a deadly epidemic. Germany seeming so far to be doing a bit better than Britain isn't saying much. All the major European governments have been disappointing.

And why is Hammond indulging in lazy stereotypes? Not helpful, or funny if it's supposed to be a joke.

Taiwan looks to be doing the best so far.
  • Options
    Iain MacNicol on R4 at the mo' on Left Out of Power on challenges facing Starmer & Labour, and how they win back Scotland. This fresh exciting approach in a nutshell:

We must engage and talk to voters in Scotland about how bad the SNP are and get Gordon Brown to lead SLab in Holyrood.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kle4 said:

Yet Germany failed to contain the virus. It seemed more important for the authorities here not to inconvenience people going on skiing holidays than to seriously try to contain a deadly epidemic. Germany seeming so far to be doing a bit better than Britain isn't saying much. All the major European governments have been disappointing.

And why is Hammond indulging in lazy stereotypes? Not helpful, or funny if it's supposed to be a joke.

Bill Gates: 'No Government is likely to come out of this with an A+.'

That sounds right, but we'll see.
  • Options
  • Options

Iain MacNicol on R4 at the mo' on Left Out of Power on challenges facing Starmer & Labour, and how they win back Scotland. This fresh exciting approach in a nutshell:

We must engage and talk to voters in Scotland about how bad the SNP are and get Gordon Brown to lead SLab in Holyrood.

In fairness, he was the last Labour leader to win an election of any sort in Scotland.
  • Options
    Apparently Momentum is right wing - you learn ever so much online
    https://twitter.com/AbcBetter/status/1249301296424902656

That's where I learned Cameron and May were left wingers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Apparently Momentum is right wing - you learn ever so much online
    https://twitter.com/AbcBetter/status/1249301296424902656

That's where I learned Cameron and May were left wingers.

There are people out there who think the British Communist Party is Right Wing.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kle4 said:

It is a huge shame they were ignored by the WHO back at New Year when they were trying to rise the alarm about this. One of the reasons they seem to have done so well is they clearly believed this was serious right at the very start and enacted their full pandemic measures on January 3rd.

Honourable mention also seems to be in order for South Korea.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

True:

Carlotta is grasping at straws.
    I'm poking fun at the humourless. Hello.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well, some of the other groups like the Socialist Labour Party, the Workers Party, the Community Party of Britain, the Socialist (GB) Party, the Workers Revolutionary Party, Left Unity, Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition, Socialist Alternative, Democratic Socialist Party, Democratic Labour Party, the Community Party of Great Britain, Socialist Unity* have not been active or successful lately, so there's definitely room for some more.

*One of these is not real. Top marks to anyone who gets it.
    That's easy - the People's Judean Front....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

kamski said:

kle4 said:

New Zealand and Taiwan perhaps holding an A scorecard at the moment ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Wait a minute. You are saying the numbers are just completely made up with no basis in reality?
    I am saying the numbers he quoted showed he had failed miserably or he did not understand what he had ordered/delivered etc. To be clear he is a dunderheid and should not be in charge of running a bath.
  • Options
    eadric said:

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/1249342065017794561?s=20

What a coincidence!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472

Gordon Brown idea aside, it would be a strange opposition party that didn't tell voters how bad the governing party is.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

In fairness, he was the last Labour leader to win an election of any sort in Scotland.
    Dear god , that would guarantee absolute extinction
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    ydoethur said:

Gordon Brown was on CNN earlier, with an introduction as the British PM who brought the world together in the last crisis.

• Options

Gordon Brown idea aside, it would be a strange opposition party that didn't tell voters how bad the governing party is.
    Sure, but they could do a lot better job of telling them that, clearly.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

kamski said:

kle4 said:

I think mistakes were inevitable.

But what is vital now is the ability to learn from those mistakes.

And whether our politicians and Sir Humphreys are capable of doing that is something I have serious doubts about.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714

malcolmg said:

Malc.

+1
  • Options

eadric said:

What a coincidence!
    I'm, er, sure many people are making similar sentiments.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

eadric said:

What a coincidence!
    Amazing.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @malcolmg at nearly four years’ distance I could name the nurses that watched over my other half when he was critically ill. I’m willing to take the Prime Minister’s personal thanks of his medical team at face value.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    edited April 2020
    kamski said:

kle4 said:

New Zealand too. The message 'We go hard, we go early', very All Blacks. Didn't wait until people wanted to close things down, did it well before they'd even thought about it. As Jacinda Ardern said "“A strategy that sacrifices people in favour of supposedly a better economic outcome is a false dichotomy and has been shown to produce the worst of both worlds: loss of life and prolonged economic pain,”

Clear, forceful, truthful, compassionate. Result - 4 deaths so far.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

True:

The vapour trails emitted by jet engines contain chemicals that have been added for secret and sinister purposes"

True:

SNP voters are most likely (35%) to believe that Donald Trump is being blackmailed by the Russian government, Remain voters are nearly twice as likely to believe the world is a flat disc (7% vs 4%), and 50% more likely to believe in Horoscopes (12% vs 8%). On other questions (Climate change a hoax, fake moon landings) Leave voters are ahead (sic) of Remain voters.
    Why are polling companies still comparing leave and remain for completely unrelated questions? I find it totally dishonest - it's far more likely to be do with different ages of leave and remain voters than directly their opinion about Brexit.
    Older people a bit more likely not to believe climate change.
    Younger people a bit more likely to believe in chemtrails.

But the high number people telling opinion pollsters that they believe the earth is a flat disk (true figure is surely much less than 1%) also suggests that a significant number of people are just taking the piss when they are asked these questions (or ticking random answers because bored with so many questions).
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Scottish Labour will find a new leader. That will manage to perform worse than the previous one.
    It is the time you think back to Wendy Alexander and tell yourself it was the good times!
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Aye, but my point is they've been doing it non stop for the last 13 years with absolutely no return. I think there's a prevailing view in SLab that they've not been saying SNPbad loudly enough, but one more push will change things.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I worry about our journalists. They're entitled to ask probing questions but is it too much to ask that they understand the basics of the science before they ask questions about it?

There are questions to be asked, but they concentrate on showing off like seven-year-olds. "My Mammy says you smell of poo, will you say sorry?"

Even worse, they don't listen to the answers, so we end up with them asking the same question over and over again. Examples … "Can you guarantee that tomorrow the world will be lovely and no one will ever die again?"

the polite answer? "I refer you to my previous answer, and the previous one, and the one before that." The less polite one … "Don't be a cnut, have a day off now and again."

I learn far more when the journalists just read out the viewers' questions. It's all many arts graduates are good for.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472

malcolmg said:

eadric said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

I doubt they are nutters, how many are in and out in 2 days with this.
    Malc, that's daft.
    he is milking it
    He's certainly leaning on it heavily to make his point about the NHS, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.
    I found it distasteful and the Tory utterings are bordering on obscene.
    No class and no empathy with the hundreds of people losing loved ones daily. Nasty nasty people and we see the worst of them on here.

I take it the quest for indy isn’t going so well?

;)
    Only a cretin would say something as crass as that, oh wait you are the cretin that compared him to Jesus.
    You obnoxious odious creatures that infest the Tory party have no morals or principles, rotten to the core.
    Ironically Seadtronic, despite going on and on about normalcy bias as if he invented it, suffers from a form of it in relation to Scottish indy. Year on year, month in, month out, everything is bad for Scottish indy and nothing will change that; it renders him incapable of saying anything interesting on the subject.
    I know, sounds like a stuck record. It's like some crazy sort of mental tic isn't it?

Finance Minister sacked for grooming young man - bad for indy
    Former leader arrested for rape - bad for indy
    SNP at war with itself - bad for indy

Only in Yoon-land.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I am saying the numbers he quoted showed he had failed miserably or he did not understand what he had ordered/delivered etc. To be clear he is a dunderheid and should not be in charge of running a bath.
    Perhaps he was talking about different things? Total number of pieces of PPE vs. a particular type, for example.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    kamski said:

Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

True:

True:

Why are polling companies still comparing leave and remain for completely unrelated questions? I find it totally dishonest - it's far more likely to be do with different ages of leave and remain voters than directly their opinion about Brexit.

But the high number people telling opinion pollsters that they believe the earth is a flat disk (true figure is surely much less than 1%) also suggests that a significant number of people are just taking the piss when they are asked these questions (or ticking random answers because bored with so many questions).
    Why do polling companies do it? Because people talk about it. 😲
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

What a coincidence!
    Amazing.
    Not really. I mean who doesn't follow SeanT on twitter?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

What a coincidence!
    Amazing.
    Whoops!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

eadric said:

What a coincidence!
    Er I think you missed the point of the comments. But since it is better not to dwell on this for fear of incurring the wrath of the moderators I will say nothing more.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Gordon Brown was on CNN earlier, with an introduction as the British PM who brought the world together in the last crisis.
    Not as the PM who ‘saved the world?’
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    ukpaul said:

kamski said:

kle4 said:

New Zealand too. The message 'We go hard, we go early', very All Blacks. Didn't wait until people wanted to close things down, did it well before they'd even thought about it. As Jacinda Ardern said "“A strategy that sacrifices people in favour of supposedly a better economic outcome is a false dichotomy and has been shown to produce the worst of both worlds: loss of life and prolonged economic pain,”

Clear, forceful, truthful, compassionate. Result - 4 deaths so far.
    Not giving it easy entry into the country for weeks is the key thing to what New Zealand did right.

The UK was more concerned about not inconveniencing holiday makers and football fans.
  • Options
    Gone by Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

What a coincidence!
    Amazing.
    Not really. I mean who doesn't follow SeanT on twitter?
    I don't, but all the other SeanT's do. That's what the Albanian taxi driver told me, anyway.
  • Options

kle4 said:

eadric said:

What a coincidence!
    Er I think you missed the point of the comments.
    I really didn't, thanks.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

kamski said:

kle4 said:

Clear, forceful, truthful, compassionate.
    New Zealand is doing relatively well, but still worse than Taiwan (276 cases per million against 16 cases per million). New Zealand also had the advantage of seeing what was happening in other countries which I'm not sure they really made the most of.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Malc.

I absolutely second that. Let us be in no doubt it is completely wrong to call into question Boris Johnson’s own character in his covid battle, nor question the political character of his government. Sure he had a test others who wanted one couldn’t get, and yes he may have been fast tracked to the oxygen mask without battling through 111 etc like the general public, but the fact trumping all inappropriate remarks of his opponents is If Johnson himself hoped and prayed and sought to be treated the same as the medical team treating him, Just same as anybody else in the country, he simply wouldn’t be allowed, because it is a matter of importance to ourselves as a nation to do what we can to prevent our nations PM dying, avoid obvious damage to national morale, prevent distractions from consistent and clear leadership at this important time, and degree of reputational damage internationally.

The treatment worked, we should all take some comfort from it now, and move on. It’s no longer a story let alone ‘the’ story.
    It is him making it a bigger story , pontificating about his two nurses stood over him day and night whilst the peasants have to hope for the best. Whilst happy he is is well, a few days in ICU where no normal joe public would ever had a chance of getting to does not say life threatening. You Tories may be happy that your idol gets special treatment but I am not. Next time you hear the crap " we are all in it together " have a think instead of adopting the position.
    I believe in equality and someone who expects and takes preferential treatment is a sign of a rotten creep to me, you go on idolising your clay hero.
  • Options
    alterego said:

kamski said:

Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

True:

True:

Why do polling companies do it? Because people talk about it. 😲
    Good point, but it's still bullshit. But polling companies get up to all kinds of very misleading crap. They shouldn't do it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Malc.

It is him making it a bigger story , pontificating about his two nurses stood over him day and night whilst the peasants have to hope for the best. Whilst happy he is is well, a few days in ICU where no normal joe public would ever had a chance of getting to does not say life threatening. You Tories may be happy that your idol gets special treatment but I am not. Next time you hear the crap " we are all in it together " have a think instead of adopting the position.
    I believe in equality and someone who expects and takes preferential treatment is a sign of a rotten creep to me, you go on idolising your clay hero.
    You are still burning with irrational anger Malc

And it saddens me
  • Options
    NYT long read on Trump administration response to Covid-19

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-response.html
This discussion has been closed.