Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Salmond acquitted on all charges

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

Am I missing something? He's not actually banned people from going to work? So factories and building sites still OK to run?

Yes. I'm sure there will still be some dickhead office bosses who insist that their employees are not able to work from home too. I think there's still a risk that we will still see crowds on the tube after this, but perhaps the theatre of the announcement will have an effect. Certainly hope so.
    Wasn't crowding on the Tube driven by the significant cut in services? Passenger numbers were down 80%. They should run a full service during rush hour, then pare back outside that.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Florida imposes 14 day mandatory quarantine for people coming from NEW YORK and NEW JERSEY
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Is online shopping essential? Will Amazon close?

I guess the problem is gatherings of large numbers of people. You don't have that when ordering online.
    The staff are at risk.
    The photos of amazon warehouses that I have seen do not look anywhere near as packed as shops on the high street.
    Didn't Boris encourage getting things delivered? Does that only include food and meds? I think not. No sign of eBay and Amazon closing.
    In China, they allowed the equivalent of them running. They did only allow 2-3 companies and drivers had to had a particular accreditation, but they did whizz about Wuhan delivering all sorts of stuff.
    It's another massive nail in the coffin of high-street retailing, which is sad but probably inevitable anyway.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Wonder if this will work. Will people stay at home?

They will have to, as Boris stated if they do not police will arrest and fine them if they are not out for a legitimate reason.

We are about to become the closest we have been to a police state for the next 12 weeks since the Protectorate of Oliver Cromwell in the 1650s, with even tighter restrictions than during the Blitz
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

They will have to, as Boris stated if they do not police will arrest and fine them if they are not out for a legitimate reason.

We are about to become the closest we have been to a police state for the next 12 weeks since the Protectorate of Oliver Cromwell in the 1650s, with even tighter restrictions than during the Blitz
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No it will only work by compliance, the one situation that I can see police getting involved in is gatherings in public places, the rest remains up to the individual. I run the risk of being stopped each time I’m out and need ID and a valid reason to be out, easy up till eight but more difficult afterwards. I’m not sure how you think the UK police can enforce this?
  • Options
    Good luck, everyone.

I think the first few days will be tough until people adjust. There will be a period when people cope. Then it may get more difficult again...

I am concerned about the lack of available food deliveries. I rely on them (cannot get to shops). I fervently hope they are able to open more slots soon.

--AS
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    BSE, Covid-19 ... perhaps we really should stop eating meat.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Will journalists be excluded?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,970
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:
    Peter Hitchens is playing the game, so beloved of the Left in the Cameron days, of using someone's lesser used forename as a form of derision.

From Gideon Osborne to Alexander Johnson.

I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now.
    I think Hitchens considers ‘Boris’ a kind of fictional character/trademark created by our PM
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,813
    edited March 2020
    Quick question: are we still allowing flights to arrive in the UK from virtually every country in the world, with hardly any checks on the passengers?
  • Options
    An update from Down Under - My parents who have been visiting from the UK are now stranded after the UAE shut it's borders from Wednesday onwards even to transit travellers.

UAE, Singapore and HK have all banned transit travellers, and the closure of the US means many many Brits in Oz and NZ are completely stranded. The Perth - London Qantas flight is fully booked for days and risks cancellation.

The Foreign Office needs to step up here. Even if it means running repatriation flights through Diego Garcia (anyone know if that would be logistically possible?). Sydney consulate don't have a clue what to advise.

Dominic Raab simply telling people to 'come home' is bloody useless when airlines are and transit airports are closing all options.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Good stuff from Johnson. There can be no doubts now.

He doing his best but he's not suited to this type of thing, he has no gravitas no matter how hard he tries.

It's a bit like getting Tommy Cooper to deliver a university physics lecture - not the person you'd choose.
    This type of thing is not ham acting, just because Tony made it so. He said what needed to be said.

Same applies to physics lectures actually, if the physics is right it makes no odds who says it. Stephen Hawking's delivery was a bit shit, but nobody seemed to mind.
  • Options
    Interesting little travel website
    https://placestovisitthisweekend.com/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,290
    Jonathan said:

Lock them up...they are a danger to society.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    Jonathan said:

Will this apply to everyone or are there exceptions? Will the queen have to rustle up a shepherds pie?

Are there not members of her household who live on site?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Jonathan said:

I do hope not. The thought of Piers Morgan in lockdown is a very small silver lining to all this.
  • Options

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

I guess the problem is gatherings of large numbers of people. You don't have that when ordering online.
    The staff are at risk.
    The photos of amazon warehouses that I have seen do not look anywhere near as packed as shops on the high street.
    Didn't Boris encourage getting things delivered? Does that only include food and meds? I think not. No sign of eBay and Amazon closing.
    In China, they allowed the equivalent of them running. They did only allow 2-3 companies and drivers had to had a particular accreditation, but they did whizz about Wuhan delivering all sorts of stuff.
    It's another massive nail in the coffin of high-street retailing, which is sad but probably inevitable anyway.
    I think that is an argument for another day. Hopefully many high-street retailers can make the transition to a combination of physical and online.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

There will be a reckoning for China after this.

The world will demand they clamp down on hygiene, animal welfare and trading and sanitary standards.

The world doesn't get to decide what happens in China but there may also be some interest in doing that stuff from inside China...
  • Options
    isam said:

Interesting little travel website
    https://placestovisitthisweekend.com/

The Kitchen, the study, the lounge?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    dr_spyn said:

If only a pandemic had been taken as seriously as global warming by policy makers and pressure groups. ...

I don’t think we have several decades to get around to start addressing the pandemic.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    God Ashworth is making this party political. We were right, government were wrong.

This is wrong time. Just agree and move on.
  • Options
    Gatwick still has scheduled departures tomorrow. How does that work?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

It was good. He's convincing on a script like all good actors. He's just shite at improv.
    My daughter who is not the least political was very impressed with Boris saying his is the leader the country needs

I expect that will be shared by many

PS.

My youngest son has text saying it is very tough but very impressed with Boris's tone
    I've just had my sister on the phone in utter panic about her two son's on the front line in NHS hospitals with very little protective clothing....

the lack of preparation these last weeks, and Boris's recent prevarication are an utter disgrace.....and have placed our NHS staff at risk

I don't think you'd be quite so sycophantic to Boris if your family were on the front line with the square root of fuck all to protect them....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    edited March 2020

The world will demand they clamp down on hygiene, animal welfare and trading and sanitary standards.

The world doesn't get to decide what happens in China but there may also be some interest in doing that stuff from inside China...
    If they do not a global travel ban to and from China indefinitely must be considered
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,875

Floater said:

That would be WACIST!!!!!
    I don't care. I'm sick of the virtue-signalling morons looking for racism everywhere and thinking it's the only thing that matters.

China need to be held to account for their poor regulation and enforcement and clean up their act.

No ifs no buts.
    Particularly as we had a dry run for all this in 2003 with SARS.

I find it incredible that after SARS absolutely nothing seems to have changed anywhere...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    DougSeal said:

Plenty of dangerous vegetation out there too, do you think we should stop eating all fruit and vegetables?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    Three weeks is probably a bit optimistic. But I'm reasonably confident that in the UK the rate of new diagnoses will peak in 10-12 days. If proper containment measures are in place, then we will hopefully see the daily rate drop pretty quickly from there. By early May, we will hopefully have the ability to do 30-50,000 tests per day, and daily positive rates down to sub 100.

At that point you can start to follow the Korean model.
  • Options
    tyson said:

It was good. He's convincing on a script like all good actors. He's just shite at improv.
    My daughter who is not the least political was very impressed with Boris saying his is the leader the country needs

PS.

My youngest son has text saying it is very tough but very impressed with Boris's tone
    I've just had my sister on the phone in utter panic about her two son's on the front line in NHS hospitals with very little protective clothing....

the lack of preparation these last weeks, and Boris's recent prevarication are an utter disgrace.....and have placed our NHS staff at risk

I don't think you'd be quite so sycophantic to Boris if your family were on the front line with the square root of fuck all to protect them....
    Why do you think Boris is not listening to advice about what to do? Clearly you think he is dragging his feet for some reason, but what?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

I mean, honestly, who goes on more than one walk in a day? Dog walkers maybe? But really, it’s the groups of people hanging around together that needs stopping.

Honestly you're probably right. Certainly I spend most of my time indoors anyway, as too much time on PBs hows. But as The Cat once noted, that's because we all knew we could walk out the door at any time. It will wrankle with people.

But I think people have been sufficiently primed and compliance will be pretty high, though I expect we'll still get photos of people not doing so.
    I feel, growing up as an only child, that I have been trained for this moment! Long boring 6 weeks holidays playing on the computer or hitting/kicking a ball against the wall/daydreaming.

As I said earlier, it’s like someone has stashed all the Sundays from the last thirty years and unleashed them on us at once
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Well my next trip out the house will either be a run, or to my colleague's house to pass her the laptop I'm going to be setting up for her to WFH tommorow.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If you were in Gatwick, wouldn’t you want to leave it ASAP, curfew or no?
  • Options

God Ashworth is making this party political. We were right, government were wrong.

The Govt had February to plan to get protective clothing to NHS staff...this situation now is an absolute horror show....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

I was assured that there was going to be evidence in the trial that meant Sturgeon would have to immediately resign mid trial.

I just find it funny that the biggest peacetime restriction on personal freedom was just announced, and you post this. :D:p
    As if certain PBers wouldn't be going at it hammer and tongs if a) Salmond was found guilty and b) Sturgeon was somehow implicated.

Not you, of course.

Well, probably not you.

Well..
    I haven't actually been following the trial, and have no idea what this Sturgeon angle is. I think I even defended him earlier in the thread.
    'Nicla knew!!!!'

Edit: sorry, that should be 'Wee Nippy knew!!!!'
    #NippyKnew is what you're grasping for.....

https://twitter.com/PeterAdamSmith/status/1242143346673561604?s=20
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No it will only work by compliance, the one situation that I can see police getting involved in is gatherings in public places, the rest remains up to the individual. I run the risk of being stopped each time I’m out and need ID and a valid reason to be out, easy up till eight but more difficult afterwards. I’m not sure how you think the UK police can enforce this?
    The police have the power of arrest and the power to fine.

Ultimately as a last resort the police have the water cannon, the rubber bullets and ultimately the guns, as do the military
  • Options
    Police Federation sound nearly as unenthused as OFQUAL did.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

How can anyone fly tomorrow apart from crew?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

The staff are at risk.
    No reason they should - they haven't here in Spain. Why on earth would they?
  • Options
    Building sites are closed, or not?

Brother in law is sparky working on building site currently
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:
    Peter Hitchens is playing the game, so beloved of the Left in the Cameron days, of using someone's lesser used forename as a form of derision.

I think Hitchens considers ‘Boris’ a kind of fictional character/trademark created by our PM
    No doubt he called Gordon Brown 'James' as well. People who react so strongly to Boris being called Boris have never made sense to me, whatever their reasoning.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The police have the water cannon, the rubber bullets and ultimately the guns, as do the military
    We are all Catalonians now, apparently...
  • Options

That was so pathetic. Basically saying Boris only did it cause we told him to. They have to make everything a petty victory. What a prick
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Clearly, the police should concentrate on dispersing large gatherings rather than trying to work out whether a lone walker in a deserted area might be going for their second walk of the day.

Clearly
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Floater said:

I am sure the details are coming. That address was designed to make it clear what the general situation was, rather than get into the weeds (which has been part of the Boris and others have had with the daily press conferences).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Andy_JS said:

Clearly, the police should concentrate on dispersing large gatherings rather than trying to work out whether a lone walker in a deserted area might be going for their second walk of the day.

I can see myself taking some long walks these next few weeks.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

To be honest I have been very impressed with his tone and maturity in this. His concerns are measured and appropriate. For me he is by far the most able member of the Shadow Cabinet.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Freight, possibly?

I don’t know, it just seems one possibility.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    kle4 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

No doubt he called Gordon Brown 'James' as well. People who react so strongly to Boris being called Boris have never made sense to me, whatever their reasoning.
    To be fair to Brown, I can see why he opted to use the name Gordon.
  • Options
    The next step the government needs to be clear about is which kinds of business are allowed to stay open. Yes supermarkets pharmacies and convenience stores. Yes petrol stations. How about general stores like Home Bargains who sell food and non food? WHsoddingS will probably try and claim they are as they sell crisps and chocolate - are they ok?

And then takeaways / restaurants who have converted to take-away service. There are a lot of people who can't cook or won't cook. They aren't going to suddenly learn to scratch cook. So as the provision of food is critical I would allow such businesses to operate.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

PS.

Why do you think Boris is not listening to advice about what to do? Clearly you think he is dragging his feet for some reason, but what?
    We had six weeks to at least getting protective gear to the NHS front line.....

The problem with having career politicians like Boris in charge is that they have never done anything....so when something needs to be done, they are useless...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Freight, possibly?

EasyJet fly freight to Tenerife?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Whereas we consider Hitchens a masterpiece of comic fiction. Made flesh.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

To be honest I have been very impressed with his tone and maturity in this. His concerns are measured and appropriate. For me he is by far the most able member of the Shadow Cabinet.
    TBF, that’s not exactly hard.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Freight, possibly?

That would be bananas :smile:
  • Options
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

PS.

The problem with having career politicians like Boris in charge is that they have never done anything....so when something needs to be done, they are useless...
    Neither of those sentences is an answer to the questions presented.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I remember a week ago saying we were in a terrible state for Critical Care beds and ventilators and being told our number made economic sense even though it was the lowest in Europe.

We will pay a terrible price for it in terms of deaths and sacrificing the oldest most poorly over next few weeks imo via rationing ventilators.

Taxpayers will also pay Trillion £+ trying to make up ground and stop the economy going to rat shit as well as firefighting the Tsunami of deaths.

I wish you would get your facts correct. Not the lowest in Europe at all. This is like you claim of x50 the cost for renting private beds.

Sweden, Greece, Ireland, Finland, Slovakia, etc.....all have less. We have the same as social democrats / socialist favourite European example country, Denmark.

It is correct Germany have way way more.
    Per 100,000 population

Germany 29.2
    Italy 12.5
    Spain 9.6
    France 11.6
    UK 6.3

We are worse than Andorra FFS
    The UK number has doubled from your numbers in the past week, and there's a plan for 30,000 more (up to Germany levels) to come from UK engineering companies including F1 teams over the coming days and weeks.
    Rubbish every country is trying desperately to up their numbers but we are still lagging behind.

Ventilators worst of any major European Country
    Acute beds same
    Critical Care Beds same

Find the actual numbers to disprove me

Like "250, 000 tests" its bullshit
    I'll start with the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/23/carmakers-make-nhs-ventilators-coronavirus-uk-government-nissan-rolls-royce

Then the publication of the actual spec by the government:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/specification-for-ventilators-to-be-used-in-uk-hospitals-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

Then go to the BBC:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-52006907/the-prodrive-motorsport-company-it-switching-its-factory-to-ventilators

Here's Sky News:
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-extraordinary-uk-effort-to-produce-thousands-more-ventilators-11961559

And even the Daily Mail - all seven UK-based F1 teams now involved.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8140001/Coronavirus-UK-Seven-Formula-One-teams-workforces-set-making-life-saving-ventilators-NHS.html
    How many extra are in place NOW? They are needed in some places now.

NHS now has 12,000 devices, according to the SoS for Health.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/03/23/ventilator-mass-production-details-set-revealed/
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020

Good luck, everyone.

I think the first few days will be tough until people adjust. There will be a period when people cope. Then it may get more difficult again...

I am concerned about the lack of available food deliveries. I rely on them (cannot get to shops). I fervently hope they are able to open more slots soon.

--AS

Some supermarkets are prioritising vulnerable groups.If you're over 70, or have a disability or serious health condition that stops you going to the shop , Sainsbury's, for instance, will give you priority. After phoning their customer service number on behalf of an elderly relative today and waiting a long time, I was happily surprised to hear they could deliver within two days for this category of person - let's hope so.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

So no change then. Just a more serious tone. I am relieved.

The police just got sweeping powers to disperse groups of a few people or more. I think there's been a slight change. :o
    What police.
    Have they all disappeared or something?
    Yes. 25k+ gone. An utter lack of police to carry out basic function already, never mind enforcing stay at home orders
    Utter lack of police to carry out basic functions? OK.
    Yup. Big increase in petty crime vandalism and ASB. Repeated public meetings demanding action with the local Inspector and PCC being very honest about how many officers they don't have.

Sorry if you are in denial about just how fucked the police service has become over the last 10 years. We'll need the Army- what's left of it - to enforce this.
    If you are not out without legitimate reason you can be arrested, obviously that includes vandalism and ASB
  • Options

The next step the government needs to be clear about is which kinds of business are allowed to stay open. Yes supermarkets pharmacies and convenience stores. Yes petrol stations. How about general stores like Home Bargains who sell food and non food? WHsoddingS will probably try and claim they are as they sell crisps and chocolate - are they ok?

And then takeaways / restaurants who have converted to take-away service. There are a lot of people who can't cook or won't cook. They aren't going to suddenly learn to scratch cook. So as the provision of food is critical I would allow such businesses to operate.

Yes. Someone I know does a job where they occasionally see medical emergencies, although most of the time they don't. They don't know whether to stay open or not at the moment.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Will this apply to everyone or are there exceptions? Will the queen have to rustle up a shepherds pie?

I bet Jezza is still going to ignore it.
    No he won't - I think very littlemof JC but even he is not that stupid. I believe Parliament will remain open so he will be entitled to attend.
  • Options
    Thank god I moved to the countryside.

Although one of my neighbours is a copper, don't envy him at this stage, he'll probably get redeployed to Newcastle to stop Geordies rioting outside closed branches of Greggs.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

This wasn't the moment for that. The nation needed the opposition to come on and say yes this is what is needed and we back the move, like Nicola did.

Sensible questions about the details are first private conversations and then if they aren't getting sufficiently good answers, raising in public.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,875
    edited March 2020
    DougSeal said:

Well it's all about standards isn't it? Feeding cows sheep brains instead of letting them graze on grass probably isn't a good idea.

Putting live bats, pangolins and snakes together with less "exotic" fresh food also seems like a bad idea... ;)
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

The police just got sweeping powers to disperse groups of a few people or more. I think there's been a slight change. :o
    What police.
    Yes. 25k+ gone. An utter lack of police to carry out basic function already, never mind enforcing stay at home orders
    Yup. Big increase in petty crime vandalism and ASB. Repeated public meetings demanding action with the local Inspector and PCC being very honest about how many officers they don't have.

Sorry if you are in denial about just how fucked the police service has become over the last 10 years. We'll need the Army- what's left of it - to enforce this.
    Is it still on manoeuvres in Scotland?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Ultimately as a last resort the police have the water cannon, the rubber bullets and ultimately the guns, as do the military
    Didn't Theresa May sell Johnson's water cannons from underneath him?

Also, uh, guns?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,086
    Today is seriously testing my personal rule of not drinking on Mondays.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Freight, possibly?

They might in the luggage hold.
  • Options
    As I predicted a few weeks ago several of those who whinged we were being too lax are now moaning about how it won't work blah, blah, blah.
  • Options

Floater said:

I am sure the details are coming. That address was designed to make it clear what the general situation was, rather than get into the weeds (which has been part of the Boris and others have had with the daily press conferences).
    Thats fair enough - I think he cant work but was trying to check
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,276
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

Oh dear, Mark Drakeford.

All shops to be closed, ‘except those selling food, medicines, banks and post offices.’

Yes he was very rubbish. Hard to be critical of Boris' performance when Drakeford is the benchmark.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Boris was good. Started nervous. Ended quite Churchillian

You've been predicting something like this for about 10 years. You were right and the rest of us were wrong.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

If someone says, "my name is moonunit", I do them the courtesy of calling them "moonunit" no matter how stupid I might think that is.

It's incredibly impolite to call people by a name that they do not use.
  • Options
    isam said:

That was so pathetic. Basically saying Boris only did it cause we told him to. They have to make everything a petty victory. What a prick
    The truth being he only did it because the cabinet told him to?
  • Options

Today is seriously testing my personal rule of not drinking on Mondays.

Well it's already Tuesday somewhere. As a citizen of the world, go for it.
  • Options
    felix said:

As I predicted a few weeks ago several of those who whinged we were being too lax are now moaning about how it won't work blah, blah, blah.

Some people just seem to want to bitch and moan

We are in unprecedented times
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,086
    The middle professor on C4 News was excellent. A message of hope looking at other countries’ lockdown. Didn’t catch his name. We need to see more of him.
  • Options
    Wait, do we get free porn like Italy now?

Asking for a son :-)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oh dear, Mark Drakeford.

All shops to be closed, ‘except those selling food, medicines, banks and post offices.’

Yes he was very rubbish. Hard to be critical of Boris' performance when Drakeford is the benchmark.
    I was just bewildered by these shops that sell banks and post offices.

I lived in Wales for many years and never saw one.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804
    Andy_JS said:

Quick question: are we still allowing flights to arrive in the UK from virtually every country in the world, with hardly any checks on the passengers?

Its a strange thing to worry about at present. It is already widespread in the UK. There are probably only a handful of countries where it significantly more widespread (Iran, USA, Italy, Spain?), most of other countries either have similar situations to us or fewer cases. And the vast majority of international flights have been cancelled by the airlines anyway.

In summary, flights at the moment dont have any significant impact on the proportion of the UK with CV19 or our ability to control the spread.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Didn't Theresa May sell Johnson's water cannons from underneath him?

Also, uh, guns?
    As a last resort if some resort to mob rule the PM can allow the police to use all their resources, including rubber bullets and tear gas etc, to enforce the rule of law
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

... So says Robert Clarissa Smithson :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

PS.

Neither of those sentences is an answer to the questions presented.
    Are you fucking with me? I'm saying this Govt was not competent enough to add 2 plus 2 in January to ensure that our NHS staff would be protected from large numbers of people coughing on them in late March with a deadly virus that there is no treatment for.,...
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

You love this shit don’t you
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    tlg86 said:

I mean, honestly, who goes on more than one walk in a day? Dog walkers maybe? But really, it’s the groups of people hanging around together that needs stopping.

Also how long a walk would be considered reasonable. Is it ok to embark on a 10 mile walk in the countryside?
  • Options
    tyson said:

PS.

The protective clothing issue has been addresed by Hancock today and HMG are doing everything possible to address shortages, but this issue is faced by all governments across the world

I am in the highest risk factor and will comply with HMG requirements

And my family are not political and if they commend Boris it upsets you somehow.

Furthermore when you attack Boris you attack the three first ministers and Khan who all attend Cobra and are party to these events.

Each has announced exactly the same policies across the devolved administrations tonight including here in Wales the closure of caravan sites, national parks and the cancellation of the Royal Welsh Show on the 20th July
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

The staff are at risk.
    It may be the shot in the arm they need I think - people will be desperate to get back to the High Street after being told they can't.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

If someone says, "my name is moonunit", I do them the courtesy of calling them "moonunit" no matter how stupid I might think that is.

It's incredibly impolite to call people by a name that they do not use.
    Hitchens is and always has been a pillock of the first order
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

What police.

I would have expected complete anarchy if they couldn't carry out basic functions.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,276
    eadric said:

Boris did what was asked of him, and it was fine. I don't think the moment to compare him to Churchill has arrived yet.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

I think he is trying to make it clear he thinks the PM is a phoney.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020

The middle professor on C4 News was excellent. A message of hope looking at other countries’ lockdown. Didn’t catch his name. We need to see more of him.

Costello, I think. A professor of public health. Yes, he made the important point that we have to give the public something to look towards and hope for.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    "essential work" needs clarifying. You're also allowed out your house to tend to your animals, which wasn't mentioned in the briefing.
    People on DIY livery yards are a niche case though so probably why no '5th' rule.
  • Options

eadric said:

Boris did what was asked of him, and it was fine. I don't think the moment to compare him to Churchill has arrived yet.
    He’s not drinking heavily enough?
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Freight, possibly?

Foreign nationals wanting to get home.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083
    I see @HYUFD is talking about the army shooting people in the street again.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

An update from Down Under - My parents who have been visiting from the UK are now stranded after the UAE shut it's borders from Wednesday onwards even to transit travellers.

UAE, Singapore and HK have all banned transit travellers, and the closure of the US means many many Brits in Oz and NZ are completely stranded. The Perth - London Qantas flight is fully booked for days and risks cancellation.

The Foreign Office needs to step up here. Even if it means running repatriation flights through Diego Garcia (anyone know if that would be logistically possible?). Sydney consulate don't have a clue what to advise.

Dominic Raab simply telling people to 'come home' is bloody useless when airlines are and transit airports are closing all options.

Yep, UAE is shutting everything down from Weds morning (I'm there). Almost all of their COVID cases have been recent travellers or transit passengers falling sick at the airport. We're getting at least a fortnight of total shutdown here.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sky seem far too obsessed with "if someone goes for a second walk".
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,388
    DavidL said:

Serious Boris. Seen it all now.

My expectation is that all civil business in the courts will now stop with the exception of emergency orders. I am effectively out of work. Hey ho.

The Supreme Court announced earlier that they would be continuing with hearings, but it would all be done by video conference. Not knowing much about your cases I would naively think that where a jury was not involved that there would be potential for some of your work to continue on that basis.
  • Options
    Slightly more detail

All non-essential shops are closing, excluded are food shops, pharmacies, corner shops, hardware stores, petrol stations, pet shops, post offices, banks, newsagents and shops inside hospitals.
This discussion has been closed.