Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Salmond acquitted on all charges

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    tyson said:

alterego said:

tyson said:

Good stuff from Johnson. There can be no doubts now.

It was good. He's convincing on a script like all good actors. He's just shite at improv.
    My daughter who is not the least political was very impressed with Boris saying his is the leader the country needs

I expect that will be shared by many

PS.

My youngest son has text saying it is very tough but very impressed with Boris's tone
    I've just had my sister on the phone in utter panic about her two son's on the front line in NHS hospitals with very little protective clothing....

the lack of preparation these last weeks, and Boris's recent prevarication are an utter disgrace.....and have placed our NHS staff at risk

I don't think you'd be quite so sycophantic to Boris if your family were on the front line with the square root of fuck all to protect them....
    The protective clothing issue has been addresed by Hancock today and HMG are doing everything possible to address shortages, but this issue is faced by all governments across the world

I am in the highest risk factor and will comply with HMG requirements

And my family are not political and if they commend Boris it upsets you somehow.

Furthermore when you attack Boris you attack the three first ministers and Khan who all attend Cobra and are party to these events.

Each has announced exactly the same policies across the devolved administrations tonight including here in Wales the closure of caravan sites, national parks and the cancellation of the Royal Welsh Show on the 20th July
    I think you're wasting your time on Tyson. He's seen better days.
    I cannot believe the sheers callousness of people on here to me raising issues about NHS staff being unprotected...

Doctors and nurses will die because the Govt has not planned in advance how to equip them properly for this pandemic.

Instead I have to come on here and see Big_G's nauseating sycophancy....
    They will die, as they are in France, Italy, China and other countries.

Heartbreaking, but the sad reality, I want all health professionals to be safe but as I keep saying this is unprecedented

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,330
    I knew I should have bought that bloody power charger earlier on today.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

isam said:

If you have a girlfriend you don’t live with, you can’t see each other? Single people are fucked!

STDs will be through the floor

Not really very different to being in the forces - and away from home for extended periods.
    I don’t think people in the forces were exactly famous for avoiding STDs in this fashion, Justin...
    Not what I was thinking of at all!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

So no change then. Just a more serious tone. I am relieved.

The police just got sweeping powers to disperse groups of a few people or more. I think there's been a slight change. :o
    What police.
    Have they all disappeared or something?
    Yes. 25k+ gone. An utter lack of police to carry out basic function already, never mind enforcing stay at home orders
    Utter lack of police to carry out basic functions? OK.
    Yup. Big increase in petty crime vandalism and ASB. Repeated public meetings demanding action with the local Inspector and PCC being very honest about how many officers they don't have.

Sorry if you are in denial about just how fucked the police service has become over the last 10 years. We'll need the Army- what's left of it - to enforce this.
    If you are not out without legitimate reason you can be arrested, obviously that includes vandalism and ASB
    Sure. But as we don't have sufficient police as it is to suppress vandalism and ASB I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Apart from providing your usual comedy relief for us all
    We have 120,000 police at the moment, more including Police and Community Support Officers.
    If necessary the army and TA can be called out and patrol too.
    Every town, village and city and suburb in this country will soon have a police officer on street corners demanding to know why you are out and for how long and in a few weeks maybe your papers too.
    Criminals can do crime outside most easily when they can blend into the crowd, not when they are restricted from travel at all
    Christ. Have you donned the jackboots and Hugo Boss outfit?

Leave Hugo Boss out of it.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Wonder if this will work. Will people stay at home?

They will have to, as Boris stated if they do not police will arrest and fine them if they are not out for a legitimate reason.

We are about to become the closest we have been to a police state for the next 12 weeks since the Protectorate of Oliver Cromwell in the 1650s, with even tighter restrictions than during the Blitz
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

They will have to, as Boris stated if they do not police will arrest and fine them if they are not out for a legitimate reason.

We are about to become the closest we have been to a police state for the next 12 weeks since the Protectorate of Oliver Cromwell in the 1650s, with even tighter restrictions than during the Blitz
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No it will only work by compliance, the one situation that I can see police getting involved in is gatherings in public places, the rest remains up to the individual. I run the risk of being stopped each time I’m out and need ID and a valid reason to be out, easy up till eight but more difficult afterwards. I’m not sure how you think the UK police can enforce this?
    The police have the power of arrest and the power to fine.

Ultimately as a last resort the police have the water cannon, the rubber bullets and ultimately the guns, as do the military
    Didn't Theresa May sell Johnson's water cannons from underneath him?

Also, uh, guns?
    As a last resort if some resort to mob rule the PM can allow the police to use all their resources, including rubber bullets and tear gas etc, to enforce the rule of law
    If you like that shit move to Spain.
    It happened in Barcelona yes but it’s not a regular feature of policing as far as I can see I’m not sure where you get the view that the whole country is a police state. I don’t know anybody out here who objects to the current measures or is doing anything to get round them.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,113
    Andy_JS said:

The rest of Britain was forced into massive lockdown because Londoners just carried on as normal.

A question for the history books?

Don't be silly.
    A lot of truth in it IMO. The tube and the flower market were the last straws. People were far closer together in those places than on the beach or the park.
    I do have sympathy for Londoners at this time but like everywhere else imbeciles ruin things for the majority.

And population density means there is a critical mass of imbeciles in London.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

alterego said:

The middle professor on C4 News was excellent. A message of hope looking at other countries’ lockdown. Didn’t catch his name. We need to see more of him.

Not many will have seen him on Ch4
    Yes I realise that. Thanks for your input.
    Welcome.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,962
    Offices, building sites and car shops to remain open then.
    Business as normal for many lol.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    ydoethur said:

I knew I should have bought that bloody power charger earlier on today.
    I hope people are happy with their hair cuts, too. :D

Just got mine trimmed as a precaution.
  • Options
    So Boris Johnson has closed every mosque in the UK.

Told you that letterbox stuff was a sign of his latent Islamophobia.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

The police just got sweeping powers to disperse groups of a few people or more. I think there's been a slight change. :o
    What police.
    Yes. 25k+ gone. An utter lack of police to carry out basic function already, never mind enforcing stay at home orders
    Yup. Big increase in petty crime vandalism and ASB. Repeated public meetings demanding action with the local Inspector and PCC being very honest about how many officers they don't have.

Sorry if you are in denial about just how fucked the police service has become over the last 10 years. We'll need the Army- what's left of it - to enforce this.
    If you are not out without legitimate reason you can be arrested, obviously that includes vandalism and ASB
    Sure. But as we don't have sufficient police as it is to suppress vandalism and ASB I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Apart from providing your usual comedy relief for us all
    We have 120,000 police at the moment, more including Police and Community Support Officers.
    Every town, village and city and suburb in this country will soon have a police officer on street corners demanding to know why you are out and for how long and in a few weeks maybe your papers too.
    Criminals can do crime outside most easily when they can blend into the crowd, not when they are restricted from travel at all
    You're having a laugh.
    Let’s run some numbers for him. To be generous, let’s assume all 120,000 police can perform street policing roles. Then let’s assume 80,000 of all three services join them. These are actually mad assumptions but let’s go with it for the sake of argument. That’s 200,000.

Allowing for shift patterns, rest patterns, and increased sickness levels I’m going to say 1/6th will be available at any time (and that would be running really hot).

That’s around 33,000 on the street. I think a police officer in every village and on every street corner is rather a stretch.

We police by consent in this country.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Floater said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

justin124 said:

tlg86 said:

I mean, honestly, who goes on more than one walk in a day? Dog walkers maybe? But really, it’s the groups of people hanging around together that needs stopping.

Also how long a walk would be considered reasonable. Is it ok to embark on a 10 mile walk in the countryside?
    oh ffs - really? this is what you think is important
    In fairness, it is a good question and an obvious loophole. Say I take my bike out. If I cycle to the end of Pye Green Road, is that the limit? Or onto Cannock Chase? Or right the way to Rugeley, or Penkridge, or Lichfield? None of those are more than about 40 minutes sharp pedalling away. Is that too far? Or too long? And if it is, how would hey know given bikes don’t have registration plates?
    I will take my dog out 3 times a day - I will stay away from others and will not obsess about how long is ok.

I do not expect to be bothered by the police.

I will not waste time worrying about how long is acceptable either - I will not take the piss and I will act responsibly

Get a fucking grip people
    I am perfectly capable of doing an all day bike ride - say to Ashbourne.

Would that count as one piece of exercise?

That is the sort of loophole that will come up if fines start to be issued.

(It’s unusual for me to find myself on the same side as Justin, btw.)
    This sort of hand wringing is I have to say infantile.

Is this really all you have to obsess over?

Whatever happened to common sense
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Floater said:

Slightly more detail

All non-essential shops are closing, excluded are food shops, pharmacies, corner shops, hardware stores, petrol stations, pet shops, post offices, banks, newsagents and shops inside hospitals.

Garden centre exclusion would be helpful.

I haven't bought all my seeds and plants yet - wanted to grow to eat them.
    Can't you get them delivered? Why would you need to go out to get them?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    My inherent bias is showing. He says Asian-Americans are helping “us” - so they are not one of “us” - just helping “us”.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Johnson did very well, as any leader should when making such a speech (though Trump couldn’t). We now move into a genuine moment of history that will be written about for centuries to come. Good luck and best wishes to each and everyone of you.

Well said - a grown up comment standing out in the sea of ' can I take 2 walks? ' 'what about bike rides?' 'We have no police' 'I don't lke Boris' ....................blah blah blah
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,743
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Gatwick still has scheduled departures tomorrow. How does that work?

People going home, Brits returning to the UK?

Emirates/Etihad entire fleets are grounded, Singapore has grounded 96% of its fleet.

As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice. If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return now, where and while there are still commercial routes available. Many airlines are suspending flights and many airports are closing, preventing flights from leaving.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus

So if you’re a foreigner the curfew doesn’t apply?
    It's not a curfew though is it?
    curfew
    /ˈkəːfjuː/
    noun
    a regulation requiring people to remain indoors between specified hours, typically at night
    No one has to remain indoors (exercise, essential shopping etc.) and no hours have been specified. So, no, it's not a curfew.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

Slightly more detail

All non-essential shops are closing, excluded are food shops, pharmacies, corner shops, hardware stores, petrol stations, pet shops, post offices, banks, newsagents and shops inside hospitals.

You've got to be joking lol. Everyone will be at the Garden Centre if it's allowed to be open - particularly oldies.
    It’s all I care about. Feeding the dogs and beginning gardening.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No it will only work by compliance, the one situation that I can see police getting involved in is gatherings in public places, the rest remains up to the individual. I run the risk of being stopped each time I’m out and need ID and a valid reason to be out, easy up till eight but more difficult afterwards. I’m not sure how you think the UK police can enforce this?
    The police have the water cannon, the rubber bullets and ultimately the guns, as do the military
    We are all Catalonians now, apparently...
    You can always count on HYUFD to bring in the use of guns and the military somewhere in our own country.

Sorry but he has lost it recently
    Do you think if HYUFD was in Cummings' position he would have advised Boris' to have worn a General's uniform for today's broadcast?

I think he would, and it would have added to the gravitas.
    Interesting to note Boris is now the closest we have had to a dictator since Cromwell, albeit an elected one and with extraordinary powers necessitated by a health emergency.

Priti Patel is also the most powerful Home Secretary since WW2 tonight given the sweeping extra powers of arrest the police have
    I may not be Johnson or Patel's biggest fan, but neither strike me as likely to use these temporary powers for nefarious purposes.

Trump, on the other hand might see a extension of his powers as an opportunity.

For someone who dodged the draft, I am also expecting Trump, ironically, to start dressing like Idi Amin from his the Dictator years.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The police have the water cannon, the rubber bullets and ultimately the guns, as do the military
    You can always count on HYUFD to bring in the use of guns and the military somewhere in our own country.

Do you think if HYUFD was in Cummings' position he would have advised Boris' to have worn a General's uniform for today's broadcast?

I really could not imagine being in HYUFD or Cummings minds to be honest

But very possibly !!!!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,799
    edited March 2020
    People with big gardens are probably feeling very smug tonight, the bastards.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,915
    DougSeal said:

Floater said:

There will be a reckoning for China after this.

The world will demand they clamp down on hygiene, animal welfare and trading and sanitary standards.

That would be WACIST!!!!!
    I don't care. I'm sick of the virtue-signalling morons looking for racism everywhere and thinking it's the only thing that matters.

China need to be held to account for their poor regulation and enforcement and clean up their act.

No ifs no buts.

No hows either... How is that 'holding to account' going to happen?
    Trade discipline and political pressure.
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:
    Peter Hitchens is playing the game, so beloved of the Left in the Cameron days, of using someone's lesser used forename as a form of derision.

From Gideon Osborne to Alexander Johnson.

I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now.
    I think Hitchens considers ‘Boris’ a kind of fictional character/trademark created by our PM
    Hitchens opposes everything and everyone.

Nutter like his brother.
    I don’t mind him using his middle name. I do object to the media using it in lieu of Johnson. We didn’t hear them talking about Margaret, John, Tony, Gordon, Dave or Theresa in the same way.
    I still think that makes no sense to object about. It supposes that he derives some benefit to being known as Boris that I just don't buy, since people are quite capable of hating him or, like me, disliking him, whilst still calling him Boris. Yes, it's true most politicians do not go by their first name (or what is treated like their first name), what of it? His image and persona have developed using the name Boris, and frankly I think it's too late to prevent that and when people try it smacks of overdoing it.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    kle4 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:
    Peter Hitchens is playing the game, so beloved of the Left in the Cameron days, of using someone's lesser used forename as a form of derision.

I think Hitchens considers ‘Boris’ a kind of fictional character/trademark created by our PM
    No doubt he called Gordon Brown 'James' as well. People who react so strongly to Boris being called Boris have never made sense to me, whatever their reasoning.
    I don't think you should call the prime minister by just his first name. Very few people called Theresa May by just her first name. But if you are using forename & surname of course you should be using the name that person wants to be known by.

• Options
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

justin124 said:

tlg86 said:

I mean, honestly, who goes on more than one walk in a day? Dog walkers maybe? But really, it’s the groups of people hanging around together that needs stopping.

Also how long a walk would be considered reasonable. Is it ok to embark on a 10 mile walk in the countryside?
    oh ffs - really? this is what you think is important
    In fairness, it is a good question and an obvious loophole. Say I take my bike out. If I cycle to the end of Pye Green Road, is that the limit? Or onto Cannock Chase? Or right the way to Rugeley, or Penkridge, or Lichfield? None of those are more than about 40 minutes sharp pedalling away. Is that too far? Or too long? And if it is, how would hey know given bikes don’t have registration plates?
    I will take my dog out 3 times a day - I will stay away from others and will not obsess about how long is ok.

I do not expect to be bothered by the police.

I will not waste time worrying about how long is acceptable either - I will not take the piss and I will act responsibly

Get a fucking grip people
    I am perfectly capable of doing an all day bike ride - say to Ashbourne.

Would that count as one piece of exercise?

That is the sort of loophole that will come up if fines start to be issued.

(It’s unusual for me to find myself on the same side as Justin, btw.)
    This sort of hand wringing is I have to say infantile.

Is this really all you have to obsess over?

Whatever happened to common sense
    You’re talking about a country that elected a failed chat show host as Prime Minister.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Emirates/Etihad entire fleets are grounded, Singapore has grounded 96% of its fleet.

As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice. If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return now, where and while there are still commercial routes available. Many airlines are suspending flights and many airports are closing, preventing flights from leaving.

The FCO advises against all non-essential travel for Brits - effectively invalidating most travel insurance. If there are foreign nationals still here who want to go home, why shouldn't they? And if you want Brits to come home planes need to go out there in the first place...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Will the police stop people going out for a leisurely drive?

Most likely
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

curfew
    /ˈkəːfjuː/
    noun
    a regulation requiring people to remain indoors between specified hours, typically at night
    No one has to remain indoors (exercise, essential shopping etc.) and no hours have been specified. So, no, it's not a curfew.
    It would be hard to justify being out at night for any of the allowable reasons. Unless you argue you couldn’t exercise at any other time.
  • Options
    Has anyone made the joke about banning gatherings of more than two ruining their sex life yet? If so I’ll get my coat.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,471
    Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

Slightly more detail

You've got to be joking lol. Everyone will be at the Garden Centre if it's allowed to be open - particularly oldies.
    I'd be 5 minutes.

Just want my seeds and soil.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

My inherent bias is showing. He says Asian-Americans are helping “us” - so they are not one of “us” - just helping “us”.
    Doesn't us also work if they are a member of the group. What word would be appropriate instead? I can't think of one (although I'm probably just forgetting it).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sky seem far too obsessed with "if someone goes for a second walk".

Yes, that shouldn't be the police's priority. Large gatherings — and I'm sure some people will be stupid enough to engage in them — ought to be.
    Purely on a matter of practicality it will be because it will have to be.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    tyson said:

alterego said:

tyson said:

It was good. He's convincing on a script like all good actors. He's just shite at improv.
    My daughter who is not the least political was very impressed with Boris saying his is the leader the country needs

PS.

My youngest son has text saying it is very tough but very impressed with Boris's tone
    I've just had my sister on the phone in utter panic about her two son's on the front line in NHS hospitals with very little protective clothing....

the lack of preparation these last weeks, and Boris's recent prevarication are an utter disgrace.....and have placed our NHS staff at risk

I don't think you'd be quite so sycophantic to Boris if your family were on the front line with the square root of fuck all to protect them....
    The protective clothing issue has been addresed by Hancock today and HMG are doing everything possible to address shortages, but this issue is faced by all governments across the world

And my family are not political and if they commend Boris it upsets you somehow.

Furthermore when you attack Boris you attack the three first ministers and Khan who all attend Cobra and are party to these events.

Each has announced exactly the same policies across the devolved administrations tonight including here in Wales the closure of caravan sites, national parks and the cancellation of the Royal Welsh Show on the 20th July
    I cannot believe the sheers callousness of people on here to me raising issues about NHS staff being unprotected...

Doctors and nurses will die because the Govt has not planned in advance how to equip them properly for this pandemic.

How do you plan for a pandemic? I'm sure the Govt would welcome your advice on where and when the next one will arrive. What it will look like would help too.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

People with nice little gardens that they can occupy all by their little fat selves are feeling quite chipper as well, actually. :smile:
  • Options
    tyson said:

alterego said:

tyson said:

PS.

You do not have to come on here Tyson
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

What police.

Christ. Have you donned the jackboots and Hugo Boss outfit?

Once on, never off :)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,674
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD will shoot the tyres. Then those in the car.
  • Options

Floater said:

Slightly more detail

Good point. Could do that.

I need soil (compost) too.

Hmm.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

curfew
    /ˈkəːfjuː/
    noun
    It would be hard to justify being out at night for any of the allowable reasons. Unless you argue you couldn’t exercise at any other time.
    Night time is the best occasion to take a ride, of course.

And after a ride, you might take some exercise...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    DougSeal said:

Has anyone made the joke about banning gatherings of more than two ruining their sex life yet? If so I’ll get my coat.

Mr Eadric I believe, though that may not count as it may have been in reference to other countries ordering it.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Floater said:

The world will demand they clamp down on hygiene, animal welfare and trading and sanitary standards.

I don't care. I'm sick of the virtue-signalling morons looking for racism everywhere and thinking it's the only thing that matters.

China need to be held to account for their poor regulation and enforcement and clean up their act.

No ifs no buts.

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Nutter like his brother.
    I don’t mind him using his middle name. I do object to the media using it in lieu of Johnson. We didn’t hear them talking about Margaret, John, Tony, Gordon, Dave or Theresa in the same way.
    Er... Surely it was: Maggie this, Maggie that...?
    True. My point holds for the subsequent incumbents though
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

tyson said:

@kle4
    I think Boris prevaricated because at the start because he essentially doesn't believe in the state.....

It would be the same if we had Corbyn in charge if we were attacked by the Russians....

Ultimately they would both do the right thing.....but their political ideology slows them down....

NHS frontline staff are woefully unprotected...this is today....this is due to the Govt not taking the threat seriously enough at the outset (ideological) and not having the organisational ability how to do it (competence)

So does everyone in the NHS need Boris Johnson to tell them to order more PPE ?

Nobody capable of doing so on their own initiative ?
    I cannot begin to tell you how woefully unprepared the NHS is in London are today....we had probably 2 months.....at least 2 protective clothing for staff....

ICU beds are another matter and technical equipment....but at least protective equipment....

Other stuff would have been easy too..accommodation nearby for those who can take it....the staff are using public transport...they are not even getting access to use the car parks for free
  • Options

isam said:

If you have a girlfriend you don’t live with, you can’t see each other? Single people are fucked!

I wonder what the scoop is for separated couples that split custody of their kids. Changeovers in the park?

My daughter just asked same question, the answer is that because the rules are so lax and the policing impossible you just carry on as normal.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Most likely
    I don't think it's likely unless it's highway police, they're bored and on a layby and fancy a distraction.

Most will use some discretion and have far better things to do.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776

Floater said:

Slightly more detail

Hmm.
    If hardware stores are still open, some B&Qs have garden centres in them...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Finally a divided for all the work that goes into them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Interesting to note Boris is now the closest we have had to a dictator since Cromwell, albeit an elected one and with extraordinary powers necessitated by a health emergency.

Priti Patel is also the most powerful Home Secretary since WW2 tonight given the sweeping extra powers of arrest the police have
    Please give it a rest. You are not helping
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Jonathan said:

Most likely
    That’s good news for Dura Ace, who doesn’t do leisurely drives.

For the rest of us, less so.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Andy_JS said:

Not if their gardeners stop working....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

In Dura Ace's case, only if they can catch him.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

You'll be sick of it after 12 weeks. ;)
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I hated having a big garden, was happy to buy a house with a smaller one.

Sigh :-)
  • Options
    RobD said:

DougSeal said:

Doesn't us also work if they are a member of the group. What word would be appropriate instead? I can't think of one (although I'm probably just forgetting it).
    “We”. He could have said something along the lines of “...they are part of our great nation and together we will...”.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

In Dura Ace's case, only if they can catch him.
    Easy to catch, he is the one with flat spotted tires
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm not feeling smug, it has dawned on me my gardener will not be allowed to mow it, which means I have to mow the fecking thing myself.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Floater said:

No ifs no buts.

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Nutter like his brother.
    "Tha'cher" was more common. While Maggie was used by her opponents, it was certainly used more by her fawners.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,962

isam said:

I wonder what the scoop is for separated couples that split custody of their kids. Changeovers in the park?

I’ve just this minute got off the phone to my mate who is in exactly that situation. He seems to assume he has to be allowed to see his son, I wouldn’t be so sure
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I'm not feeling smug, it has dawned on me my gardener will not be allowed to mow it, which means I have to mow the fecking thing myself.
    Get a couple of sheep?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,799
    I wouldn't normally quote a conspriracy theorist but:

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1242201452942155778
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    There not of people self isolating in convertible MGs today. Somehow I can’t see the roads being empty or the police pulling over vehicles to check where people are going quite yet.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

You will be cut down to size.

Ah, my dressing gown.

Good night.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    @Big_G_NorthWales
    I don't think there is any comparison between a doctor who has no choice other than to work on a respiratory ward without protective equipment...and gets exposed over and over again to this virus,......and your family member who can self isolate...

If the blood test for your wife is not necessary...tell her to stay away....hospitals are not safe
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Mr Eadric I believe, though that may not count as it may have been in reference to other countries ordering it.
    He takes a wank, it’s a threesome.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    All the people asking stupid questions, did people in the war when asked to make sure they operated a blackout and got in the bomb shelters start moaning not enough direction if I should go if it is on a night when I get my ingrowing toenails done.

Of course the state can't enforce every single part of it. The idea is that the vast majority don't try and go for 10 runs a day for LOLs and they enforce it against the worst offenders who are out and about for no good reason and use your f##king brain, do everything possible to minimize your contact with everybody outside your family unit.

If Boris had tried to list every single job and task on a nasty or nice list he would still be there when everybody is dead from the damn virus.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

isam said:

My daughter just asked same question, the answer is that because the rules are so lax and the policing impossible you just carry on as normal.
    That goes for a lot of things at the moment. How does a landlord or a lender get a warrant of possession if the county court isn’t holding hearings? The upcoming backlog alone will cripple them.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

“We”. He could have said something along the lines of “...they are part of our great nation and together we will...”.
    Ah, I was trying to think of a word you could just drop in. I don't think one exists. Agreed your version would be better, but Trump isn't exactly known for his elegant prose, is he. :p
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

No doubt he called Gordon Brown 'James' as well. People who react so strongly to Boris being called Boris have never made sense to me, whatever their reasoning.
    I don't think you should call the prime minister by just his first name. Very few people called Theresa May by just her first name.
    Why not? And why would it not being the case for one, even most, mean it should not happen for another?

When he is being interviewed (a rare event, admittedly) or referred to in official reporting it is usually as Boris Johnson, not just Boris, or as the Prime Minister. What does it matter if in general conversation he is referred to as just Boris? Now, I've seen senior officials refer in official meetings to not having heard from 'Boris', by which they mean no indication yet from central government, and that I'd think is a step too informal, but that's a far cry from 'I don't think you should call the prime minister by just his first name'.

He's an arse called Boris. Or a great leader called Boris. Or somewhere inbetween, each to their own.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Floater said:

Slightly more detail

Hmm.
    You can get compost on eBay - free delivery.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Since when did Jeremy Corbyn become Chairman of the Police Federation?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

That is literally the first time I have agreed with anything that knob has said. They can break up gatherings, they can close shops, but the two walks a day thing needs Chinese style facial recognition technology.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Return it to nature. That was my excuse for not cutting it for 6 years (actually I just refused to pay extra for a garden waste bin)
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Floater said:

No ifs no buts.

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Nutter like his brother.
    Hitchens calls Blair ‘Anthony’ not Tony for the same reason he calls Boris ‘Al’
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Most likely
    Most likely not.

We are being good Brits searching for the letter to see precisely what it says.

Stand back and remember that the object is to stop people meeting and mixing in groups. Long walks, solitary drives, even going out twice, aren’t causing a problem. Hence no-one is going to bother about them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

Andy_JS said:

Get a couple of sheep?
    Works for Aberdonians.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Schools are closed, but liquor stores are deemed essential amd can now deliver. Funny old world
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Most likely
    I don't think it's likely unless it's highway police, they're bored and on a layby and fancy a distraction.

Most will use some discretion and have far better things to do.
    Of course that makes sense but the idea our police cannot do this is questionable

As this bites there will be millions less out on the roads and shopping areas making enforcement easier. But of course without the more extremes suggestions of one of our posters
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The Epping Forest Village Green preservation society no doubt
  • Options

All the people asking stupid questions, did people in the war when asked to make sure they operated a blackout and got in the bomb shelters start moaning not enough direction if I should go if it is on a night when I get my ingrowing toenails done.

Of course the state can't enforce every single part of it. The idea is that the vast majority don't try and go for 10 runs a day for LOLs and they enforce it against the worst offenders who are out and about for no good reason and use your f##king brain, do everything possible to minimize your contact with everybody outside your family unit.

If Boris had tried to list every single job and task on a nasty or nice list he would still be there when everybody is dead from the damn virus.

It really is incredible isn't it.

do they need help tying their own laces?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    All those who cheered Merkel and Macron for announcing exactly the same things as this are now on the media going well we can't do this, because...

You think in Germany they can enforce no more than your family and one other to be together. From a distance, how do you know its 2 brothers and a friend, not 3 friends. They can't. That's not the point.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Floater said:

Slightly more detail

Hmm.
    There's a wicks I can walk to with 10 mins of my house.

Assuming they're still open tomorrow...
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Schools are closed, but liquor stores are deemed essential amd can now deliver. Funny old world

Works for me :-)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,736
    tyson said:

God Ashworth is making this party political. We were right, government were wrong.

This is wrong time. Just agree and move on.

The Govt had February to plan to get protective clothing to NHS staff...this situation now is an absolute horror show....
    It is indeed. Not helped by inability to test front-line staff, so that we are working blind.

• Options
    DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

That is literally the first time I have agreed with anything that knob has said. They can break up gatherings, they can close shops, but the two walks a day thing needs Chinese style facial recognition technology.
    I suspect the powers won't be used to tell people off for jogging alone, but instead for breaking up gatherings. If you are sensible and are walking alone, I don't see there being much of a problem. The advice for one walk a day is just to get people to go outside as infrequently as possible. If 90% of people follow this advice, then no large-scale enforcement will actually be needed.
  • Options

• Options

All those who cheered Merkel and Macron for announcing exactly the same things as this are now on the media going well we can't do this, because...

You think in Germany they can enforce no more than your family and one other to be together. From a distance, how do you know its 2 brothers and a friend, not 3 friends. They can't. That's not the point.

Is there an opposite of British exceptionalism? :p
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281
    edited March 2020
    Footage has emerged of what HYUFD saw whilst the rest of us watched Boris

https://youtu.be/M_ySmaG1xYo
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

Slightly more detail

'Hardware shops' are allowed to be open, most B & Q/Homebase have a garden bit, they'll be mobbed if the garden centres are closed.
  • Options
    whunterwhunter Posts: 60
    This is best understood as a nudge - stop having dinner parties, stop family gatherings, stop going round to each others houses, etc etc.
    It was quite obvious over the weekend that people were carrying on doing all of those things, even if going to the gym and the pub wasn't possible.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

@kle4
    I think Boris prevaricated because at the start because he essentially doesn't believe in the state.....

It would be the same if we had Corbyn in charge if we were attacked by the Russians....

Ultimately they would both do the right thing.....but their political ideology slows them down....

NHS frontline staff are woefully unprotected...this is today....this is due to the Govt not taking the threat seriously enough at the outset (ideological) and not having the organisational ability how to do it (competence)

So does everyone in the NHS need Boris Johnson to tell them to order more PPE ?

Nobody capable of doing so on their own initiative ?
    I cannot begin to tell you how woefully unprepared the NHS is in London are today....we had probably 2 months.....at least 2 protective clothing for staff....

ICU beds are another matter and technical equipment....but at least protective equipment....

Other stuff would have been easy too..accommodation nearby for those who can take it....the staff are using public transport...they are not even getting access to use the car parks for free
    A few months back I needed some safety shoes for work, I sorted it out myself.

If hospitals are short of PPE they should have ordered more - that could have been prompted from the hospital management, the H&S dept, the purchasing dept, or any front line staff.

This "Boris hasn't provided enough PPE" is bollox.

People have to shown initiative in this world if they want to sort out problems.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Most likely
    Most likely not.

We are being good Brits searching for the letter to see precisely what it says.

Stand back and remember that the object is to stop people meeting and mixing in groups. Long walks, solitary drives, even going out twice, aren’t causing a problem. Hence no-one is going to bother about them.

apart from some people on here......
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,279

CatMan said:

Floater said:

Slightly more detail

Hmm.
    There's a wicks I can walk to with 10 mins of my house.

Assuming they're still open tomorrow...
    I have tried to order seeds etc online today. Been tricky. One order went through, another crashed.
  • Options

isam said:

Sunday was my son's "turn" with his son. His plan was to go out with him while my son's wife went out separately with their daughter. But the town was so full of fecking eejits who thought it was a nice day to visit the seaside, that they decided to stay in. My grandson has gone back to his mum now, and my son doesn't know when he will see him again.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    For those that are slow, think of this as the same way some nightclubs operate very strict dress code policies. They don't enforce it with everybody, but when some drunk troublemaker walks up, they whip out the old rules and regs and say jog on.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,736
    HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The police have the power of arrest and the power to fine.

Ultimately as a last resort the police have the water cannon, the rubber bullets and ultimately the guns, as do the military
    Didn't Theresa May sell Johnson's water cannons from underneath him?

Also, uh, guns?
    As a last resort if some resort to mob rule the PM can allow the police to use all their resources, including rubber bullets and tear gas etc, to enforce the rule of law
    Astonishing. As if we didn't have enough to do...
  • Options

Totally agree. Why don't people get this.
  • Options
    tyson said:

@Big_G_NorthWales
    I don't think there is any comparison between a doctor who has no choice other than to work on a respiratory ward without protective equipment...and gets exposed over and over again to this virus,......and your family member who can self isolate...

If the blood test for your wife is not necessary...tell her to stay away....hospitals are not safe

It is necessary though

But you do seem to want to paint me as someone who does not care for our doctors and nurses

Nothing can be further from the truth and is not worthy of you
  • Options

Jonathan said:

If Boris is going full Churchill, surely an armed Home Guard is the next move. I'm in!
  • Options
    isam said:

I think he probably also uses video messaging to do it for his own kids, as not possible to be in so many different places at the same time.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Get a couple of sheep?
    But make sure they don't get within 2 metres of each other.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    nichomar said:

isam said:

Not sure it’s what you can get away with, though. It’s what is the right thing to do. It’s a really tricky one.

This discussion has been closed.