Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How are the Dominoes going to fall?

167891012»

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,338
    edited March 2020

I got the last pack

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:
    This is fine for people who already live alone. And who can get deliveries.

But what of those who can’t?

And what of those who have carers coming to visit them and who could not survive without them?

Or those who live with family and who have nowhere to go to be isolated? Holiday rentals are no longer taking bookings so even that option, assuming people can afford it, is closed.

I now don’t know whether to advise my London-based sons to stay at home for the duration or try to work as volunteers (eldest has been offering to do shopping for older family friends) / in supermarkets where the demand/ need is. Despite their youth I really don’t want them catching this.

Exactly. The panic buying is really screwing this up for everyone. People have to go out and buy food if they can’t get it delivered.
    Waitrose are advising you come into the store unless you are self-isolating or vulnerable beacuse they cannot keep up with the demand for deliveries and they want to make sure those who really need them get them:

"...if you can get out safely (in line with the Government’s guidelines), we would encourage you to do your shopping in-store. This will free up extra slots for those people who find this really hard, including older people, the vulnerable and those who are self-isolating."
    But if everyone has to come to the store then it will just spread the virus. It’s an impossible circle to square.
    The point is, there is not enough food delivery to homes capacity in this country by a long chalk. Unsurprisingly.

Food home delivery needs to be focused on those most at risk or showing symptoms. For that reason we did a weekly shop in-store yesterday and will need to do another one next week. (Though we may go to the local farm shop rather than the supermarket - more expensive, limited range, but good quality and surprisingly better stocked with the lines it does hold.)
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

I got the last pack

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:
    This is fine for people who already live alone. And who can get deliveries.

But what of those who can’t?

And what of those who have carers coming to visit them and who could not survive without them?

Or those who live with family and who have nowhere to go to be isolated? Holiday rentals are no longer taking bookings so even that option, assuming people can afford it, is closed.

I now don’t know whether to advise my London-based sons to stay at home for the duration or try to work as volunteers (eldest has been offering to do shopping for older family friends) / in supermarkets where the demand/ need is. Despite their youth I really don’t want them catching this.

Exactly. The panic buying is really screwing this up for everyone. People have to go out and buy food if they can’t get it delivered.
    Waitrose are advising you come into the store unless you are self-isolating or vulnerable beacuse they cannot keep up with the demand for deliveries and they want to make sure those who really need them get them:

"...if you can get out safely (in line with the Government’s guidelines), we would encourage you to do your shopping in-store. This will free up extra slots for those people who find this really hard, including older people, the vulnerable and those who are self-isolating."
    Unfortunately the lazy fit people will take the slots. Rochdale
    P raised the issue of the bad side of English nationalism this morning. The UK appears to have turned into a place where 15% don’t give a shit about anybody else, don’t watch the news and are only interested in themselves.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,019
    Germany doing an estimated 100 thousand tests a day.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541
    kamski said:

Have they released the testing numbers? If so, do you have a source?
  • whunterwhunter Posts: 60

Of my neighbours - One elderly couple hosing a dinner party, the other a young couple (pregnant) with family coming in and out all day.

This is all within the guidelines (small social gatherings of family and friends), as long as no one is showing symptoms of the virus.

It is plainly obvious that the advice is wrong.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,504
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

Barnesian said:

eadric said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:
    I suspect ours will look worse.

Do you know now pb that your life is in the hands of whoever is in charge of the triage?

A lot won't ever make it to a hospital.
    Hysteria meme
    Ahh yes. Here is our resident good Samaritan who just HAD to get that skiing trip in Northern Italy in early March.

Are you alright Jack?
    Hysteria meme. When the dust has settled I suspect there will be more deaths as a result of the hysteria meme than from the virus itself.
    You should be in prison. You utter cretin
    You are a super spreader.
    I am a super spreader of advice that, if taken a month ago, could have saved the lives of many people.
    You are so full of BS that few take you seriously any more.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,307

eadric said:

eadric said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

Do you know now pb that your life is in the hands of whoever is in charge of the triage?

Hysteria meme
    You are a selfish imbecile who might kill hundreds. Well done.
    Calm down and drop the abuse
    I don’t give a fuck any more. I tried disguising my warnings with irony and politesse. People still went.... on skiing holidays. The stupidity is staggering. The mods are free to ban me if they wish. But that of course might endanger the rest of you even more, as you listen to the last dullards who are still telling you this is all ok.
    It's not OK, but you are verging on the hysterical.
    Quite. I have been 14 days in self isolation with no contact with anyone and I'm in good health. There are lots of people locally who have it in mild form, far more than the assumptions in the models, but that implies that the fatality rate is far lower than assumed.

The Government is relying on experts, and the experts are relying on their models, and the models rely on data which is very dubious until we get tests of the general population. I don't know how this is going to turn out but I am taking sensible precautions.

The cure just might turn out to be more deadly than the disease. We don't know yet. But it is not helped by people who know nothing spreading hysteria memes.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266
    This was well-meaning but perhaps not the best idea in hindsight.

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1224661041495212032
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    whunter said:

Of my neighbours - One elderly couple hosing a dinner party, the other a young couple (pregnant) with family coming in and out all day.

This is all within the guidelines (small social gatherings of family and friends), as long as no one is showing symptoms of the virus.

It is plainly obvious that the advice is wrong.

Is it within the guidelines? I suspect many people are desperately confused by the mixed messages from Johnson.
  • MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    https://twitter.com/VolatilityQ/status/1241491917550096384

I know the economy is small fries compared to what's going on, but this will be all of us soon.
    eadric said:

Barnesian said:

eadric said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

Hysteria meme
    Ahh yes. Here is our resident good Samaritan who just HAD to get that skiing trip in Northern Italy in early March.

Are you alright Jack?
    Hysteria meme. When the dust has settled I suspect there will be more deaths as a result of the hysteria meme than from the virus itself.
    You should be in prison. You utter cretin
    You are a super spreader.
    I am a super spreader of advice that, if taken a month ago, could have saved the lives of many people.
    But you are not offering advice are you, ok you may have been right a month ago but sane rational advice is what is needed now.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Cyclefree said:

They may take the decision out of your hands if they feel strongly about the issue. I find that when the kids assert themselves, keeping my mouth shut can be the most difficult part of parenting :)
    They have both said that they don’t want to risk bringing the virus from London to me. Which is right. I just don’t want them to get it. So what the hell can I do.

Despite knowing what I should do and what I will do I feel deep down that it is my job to protect them, not the other way around.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    RobD said:

kamski said:

I think possibly some journos are taking a report that they had capacity for 100k/day, as actually doing 100k/day.

Here's something suggesting they were at 167k total last Sunday.
    --------------------
    The report states: “definitely more than 167,000 [tests have been conducted]. As the German Hospital Society (DKG) announced on Thursday, 167,009 samples were tested in 148 laboratories by the end of last week, of which 6540 were positive.” We interpret ‘the end of last week’ as the 15 March.
    --------------------
    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing-source-data
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,338
    RobD said:

kamski said:

Sounds like BS to me. Germany doing more 50% more tests in a day than we have done in the past month? I doubt it.
    Foxy said:

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

Hysteria meme
    I am afraid that triage is inevitable, and those most likely to recover, and to recover quickly will be prioritised.
    What is the utilisation of ICUs and ventilators at the moment do you think? 10% 50% 100%?
    Getting a bit full in some Trusts but in Leicester we have capacity at present. The usual work has not gone away of course. People still have heart attacks and accidents.
    Utilisation is a key metric. I'm sure it is being monitored centrally and informing strategy.
  • nichomar said:

Andy_JS said:

I never thought a day would come when parks would have to be closed to stop people exercising.

To put this in more context... 12 months ago who would have predicted that public health bods would be demanding parks be closed to stop people exercising!!
    Nobody is stoping you exercise, run up an down your stairs or on the spot for goodness sake
    They should put Aerobics Oz Style back on the sports channels.
    Used to get me up in the mornings.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    edited March 2020
    BBC reporting big crowds of people at the beaches today like West Wittering and Skegness...and also loads of people piling out of cities in camper vans trying to hide out in rural locations like Scotland.

So one lot of tw@ts are giving a f##k and more than likely killing a few 1000 more oldies and the other lot are more than likely spreading it to rural communities.

The government are going to have to shut this down.

nichomar said:

Andy_JS said:

I never thought a day would come when parks would have to be closed to stop people exercising.

To put this in more context... 12 months ago who would have predicted that public health bods would be demanding parks be closed to stop people exercising!!
    Nobody is stoping you exercise, run up an down your stairs or on the spot for goodness sake
    They should put Aerobics Oz Style back on the sports channels.
    Used to get me up in the mornings.
    I thought this was a child friendly website....
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    eadric said:

Just got a message from a good friend in New Orleans

I quote verbatim:

“Good acquaintance just died. Female. 39. In good health. Shit just got terrifyingly real”

He was one of the skeptics, like most of you, just a week ago.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1241453650691657729?s=19
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,504
    edited March 2020

BBC reporting big crowds of people at the beaches today like West Wittering and Skegness...and also loads of people piling out of cities in camper vans trying to hide out in rural locations like Scotland.

So one lot of tw@ts are giving a f##k and more than likely killing a few 1000 more oldies and the other lot are more than likely spreading it to rural communities.

A windy and cold day to be out on the beach.

Why couldn’t they, the UK government, learn from Europe? Answers on a postcard please.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,491
    Barnesian said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

Hysteria meme
    I don’t give a fuck any more. I tried disguising my warnings with irony and politesse. People still went.... on skiing holidays. The stupidity is staggering. The mods are free to ban me if they wish. But that of course might endanger the rest of you even more, as you listen to the last dullards who are still telling you this is all ok.
    It's not OK, but you are verging on the hysterical.
    Quite. I have been 14 days in self isolation with no contact with anyone and I'm in good health. There are lots of people locally who have it in mild form, far more than the assumptions in the models, but that implies that the fatality rate is far lower than assumed.

The Government is relying on experts, and the experts are relying on their models, and the models rely on data which is very dubious until we get tests of the general population. I don't know how this is going to turn out but I am taking sensible precautions.

The cure just might turn out to be more deadly than the disease. We don't know yet. But it is not helped by people who know nothing spreading hysteria memes.

I have a full diary next week, and was planning to crack on whilst I can. Khan's demand for Londoners to stay at home has made me think again. Five grovelling phonecalls to customers on Monday morning instead I fear.

If people can't behave, and here in Wales, Pen-y-fan was reported to be like Picadilly Circus (not today!) Boris needs to pull the trigger. Everyone was expecting it on Friday at 1900 hours, so why wait for the inevitable?
  • BBC reporting big crowds of people at the beaches today like West Wittering and Skegness...and also loads of people piling out of cities in camper vans trying to hide out in rural locations like Scotland.

Indeed - and quickly
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

Hysteria meme
    For the record, I agreed with you on PB several weeks ago.

The question now is how we move forward.
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

They may take the decision out of your hands if they feel strongly about the issue. I find that when the kids assert themselves, keeping my mouth shut can be the most difficult part of parenting :)
    They have both said that they don’t want to risk bringing the virus from London to me. Which is right. I just don’t want them to get it. So what the hell can I do.

Despite knowing what I should do and what I will do I feel deep down that it is my job to protect them, not the other way around.
    The parent/child relationship reverses when you get to about 75 and they tell you what to do. Later they will look after you. But if they are over 30 and you are under 60 I think is more productive to be adult/adult rather than parent/child if you can manage it. :)
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118

Might have been a better idea to tell the public that children were at risk of serious illness should they catch it. I think people would have behaved more responsibly had they thought they might endanger the kids

edited March 2020

The problem is people need to exercise and that's often difficult to do in the urban areas where millions of people live without getting too close to others. A few days ago the National Trust was encouraging people to walk in their parks and gardens for free but they've just had to cancel it because too many people were doing so.
    Chameleon said:

eadric said:

I quote verbatim:

“Good acquaintance just died. Female. 39. In good health. Shit just got terrifyingly real”

And when did he leave Albania?
    Young people die of this. That is the reality.
    isam said:

Might have been a better idea to tell the public that children were at risk of serious illness should they catch it. I think people would have behaved more responsibly had they thought they might endanger the kids

The author of the often cited report that claims 80% of people get mild symptoms now says he deeply regrets using that term, when it includes everything from a bit of a cold to pneumonia (but not quite bad enough to go to hospital).

I know the government didn't want to scare the horses, but people are crap at maths / probability and so think 80% sounds great odds of being absolutely fine.
    Alistair said:

eadric said:

I quote verbatim:

If her test results have not come back, how does anyone know what condition she had?
    London lockdown by mid-week?
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

eadric said:

I quote verbatim:

If her test results have not come back, how does anyone know what condition she had?
    A fair point!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,618
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Resist temptation. If they have a house and garden, they should be fine. Fox Jr was on his own, rooming in a shared house, with no work. It was time to bug out.

I now know two people with it, community acquired, but out of hospital. Both in their sixties. One in Cornwall, the other Leicester.
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Resist temptation. If they have a house and garden, they should be fine. Fox Jr was on his own, rooming in a shared house, with no work. It was time to bug out.

I now know two people with it, community acquired, but out of hospital. Both in their sixties. One in Cornwall, the other Leicester.
    I much rather your calm, hope-laced analysis than Eadric's hysteria. Thankyou.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,796

I've been expecting the shit to hit the fan since the first papers started coming out at the end of January. I'm no expert, but I can read the abstracts and charts. Now without wanting to sound arrogant, most people are not going to do likewise or want to, and even if they did they would be all "what does it mean?" So the science passes most people by, and most people alive in the developed world have no experience of highly infectious epidemic diseases with a significant mortality rate. HIV is the closest, and hell we already seem to have all but forgotten that.

So if you are disinterested in the science, and unable to follow it, and you have no experience to fall back on, what exactly will get people to realise the seriousness of the matter?

Anecdotally there still seems to be a significant number of people who think COVID-19 isn't that dangerous, and will fizzle out soon enough so we can all go back to normal.

The public information campaign about AIDS in the 80s worked well, we don't seem to have anything similar now, and it is also far more urgent.

Maybe when the daily death tolls get truly horrifying the remaining "a big fuss about nothing" types will finally "get it".
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

You have sons, I have daughters. I am not sure if one is easier than the other ;)

Both of mine are in the flat. One works in hospitality and stopped several weeks ago because she could see the obvious. The other was told by her PhD advisor to go home and start writing her thesis as her labs would all be closed.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

Best of luck. It goes without saying - but I will say it anyway - thank you for all that you and your colleagues are doing for us.
    glw said:

I've been expecting the shit to hit the fan since the first papers started coming out at the end of January. I'm no expert, but I can read the abstracts and charts. Now without wanting to sound arrogant, most people are not going to do likewise or want to, and even if they did they would be all "what does it mean?" So the science passes most people by, and most people alive in the developed world have no experience of highly infectious epidemic diseases with a significant mortality rate. HIV is the closest, and hell we already seem to have all but forgotten that.

So if you are disinterested in the science, and unable to follow it, and you have no experience to fall back on, what exactly will get people to realise the seriousness of the matter?

Anecdotally there still seems to be a significant number of people who think COVID-19 isn't that dangerous, and will fizzle out soon enough so we can all go back to normal.

The public information campaign about AIDS in the 80s worked well, we don't seem to have anything similar now, and it is also far more urgent.

Maybe when the daily death tolls get truly horrifying the remaining "a big fuss about nothing" types will finally "get it".
    For what it's worth, the extended family and friends I know who were bleating that it is a fuss about very little, media over hyped, blow over when summer comes etc etc, have changed in last few days.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,796

The author of the often cited report that claims 80% of people get mild symptoms now says he deeply regrets using that term, when it includes everything from a bit of a cold to pneumonia (but not quite bad enough to go to hospital).

I know the government didn't want to scare the horses, but people are crap at maths / probability and so think 80% sounds great odds of being absolutely fine.

Some of them will be more worried about getting cancer from 5G.
  • ABZABZ Posts: 441
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Glad to hear they are both doing fine now. Does suggest there is a lot of it about of course (whether symptomatic or asymptomatic is still the question I guess).
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,582
    glw said:

I'm amazed we haven't had a TV campaign similar to the AIDS 'Don't Die of Ignorance' one. Why not? That was legendarily effective.

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

It is certainly going to be bad, but the rate should slow substantially as the measures take effect, over the next two weeks.

We may not have our favourite foods to hand, but a spartan home cooked diet should trim down our national waistlines nicely! Think of it as time to shed those pounds and sort out house and garden, with family.

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,525
    HYUFD said:

Despite more French cases and deaths than the UK
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1241477088558940166?s=20

Daft twat. Macron, not Faisal Islam. Although...
    NHS is on the brink? Christ. I am pretty sure we are still 7 weeks from the expected peak, give or take.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

It is certainly going to be bad, but the rate should slow substantially as the measures take effect, over the next two weeks.

We may not have our favourite foods to hand, but a spartan home cooked diet should trim down our national waistlines nicely! Think of it as time to shed those pounds and sort out house and garden, with family.

Indeed. Best wishes to you and your colleagues over the coming weeks.
  • ABZABZ Posts: 441
    Also, a small bit of good news (not much but a little). I think this is the first day for a while that the number of new cases across the world has not increased (according to Worldometer).

HYUFD said:

Despite more French cases and deaths than the UK
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1241477088558940166?s=20

Daft twat. Macron, not Faisal Islam. Although...
    I am not entirely sure you are taking this seriously.
    ABZ said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Glad to hear they are both doing fine now. Does suggest there is a lot of it about of course (whether symptomatic or asymptomatic is still the question I guess).
    Neither were admitted, but both seem to be doing OK. The Leicester one even attended her pilates class via Zoom.
    Time to turn in now.
    I never expected to make a Mothers Day present of 2 litres of homebrew WHO specification alcohol hand gel. I hope Granny Foxy likes it!
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,574
    THIS THREAD IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,139
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

"In 2019, 79% of UK adults own a smartphone."

https://www.finder.com/uk/mobile-internet-statistics

If we also include iPhones, that number must be close to 100%
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,019
    Andrew said:

RobD said:

kamski said:

I think possibly some journos are taking a report that they had capacity for 100k/day, as actually doing 100k/day.

Here's something suggesting they were at 167k total last Sunday.
    --------------------
    The report states: “definitely more than 167,000 [tests have been conducted]. As the German Hospital Society (DKG) announced on Thursday, 167,009 samples were tested in 148 laboratories by the end of last week, of which 6540 were positive.” We interpret ‘the end of last week’ as the 15 March.
    --------------------
    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing-source-data
    Source was my wife, I'd have to ask her exactly what the sources was.
    The figures above are not entirely inconsistent with the tests having increased to 100k per day, though it suggests it is on the high side
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,184
    Andy_JS said:

This was well-meaning but perhaps not the best idea in hindsight.

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1224661041495212032

Ten miles west of Florence is Prato:

More than ten per cent of Prato’s two hundred thousand legal residents are Chinese. According to Francesco Nannucci, the head of the police’s investigative unit in Prato, the city is also home to some ten thousand Chinese people who are there illegally.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/16/the-chinese-workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited March 2020
    (deleted, oops wrong thread!)
This discussion has been closed.