Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How are the Dominoes going to fall?

Comments

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,009
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Wait til I start on my spice rack.....

If that’s not a euphemism, I have a bottle of cloves I inherited from my grandfather.
    How many times has it been refilled?
    Never. I don’t use cloves for anything. It just happens to be part of a rather handsome spice rack which I use and keeping it full looks better than empty.
    Mulled wine? You are missing out!
    Could be an option. Or apple pies - but I prefer blackberries with my apple pies.
    A hot whiskey with cloves and sugar for a persistent cough.

EDIT: And a squeeze of lemon
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,364
    On the one hand this kind of graph does help to get people to change their behaviour. On the other, when the curve begins to flatten, then people will start getting complacent.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,823

IanB2 said:

Was he Albanian, by any chance?

I keep on seeing Albanians mentioned a lot. Have I missed a meme?
    Sir Eadric told a tale of an albanian cabbie, once.
    Tales of albanian cabbies are seldom worth repeating. Even tales of Albanian cabbies don't sell so well.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    edited March 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If that’s not a euphemism, I have a bottle of cloves I inherited from my grandfather.
    ydoethur said:

σὲ δ’, ὦ τέκνον, τόδ’ ἐλήλυθεν
    πᾶν κράτος ὠγύγιον... :wink:
    In one respect I am undoubtedly very like William Shakespeare.

I have small Latin and less Greek.
    'But to you, my boy, has descended
    All this ancient power...'

It's from Sophocles' Philoctetes.

I was just tickled by the idea of inheriting a special bequest of a bottle of cloves!
    Well, maybe they have ancient superpowers passed down generations ago from Sir George Savile or something, that I should open and will grant me three wishes.

Or maybe I just happen to like the rather lovely mahogany spice rack with glass jars!

If you hear within the next 24 hours that Dominic Cummings has been eaten alive by an enraged Tyrannosaurus rex that failed to get a good history GCSE due to his inveterate bungling, followed by Amanda Spielmann becoming dessert, you will know it’s the former.

If not it’s a fair bet it’s the latter.

(Thanks for the translation. You may be amused at what Google Translate came up with: ‘d ',' child, tod 'really
    such as the State of Occupation.’)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Never. I don’t use cloves for anything. It just happens to be part of a rather handsome spice rack which I use and keeping it full looks better than empty.
    Could be an option. Or apple pies - but I prefer blackberries with my apple pies.

I'd do whiskey and honey or whisky and Stones ginger wine
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Eight days only other direct Human contact the checkout staff in the supermarket And my better half. It would help if the weather was better so that we could sit outside but as far as I can tell I’m not going loopy yet, maybe poco loco, but it isn’t the end of the world as seems to be implied by many they interview who claim they would go md if they couldn’t go for a walk. I have what’s app to keep in touch with the family, Facebook to exchange latest news with a wider group and you can always pick up the phone. I still don’t know anyone with the bug or anyone who knows someone etc but the first two cases have been reported in our community, about 20,000 people. There are reportedly 30 cases in our local hospital but no way of verifying.

Supermarkets settled down and no shortages, how I will feel in another 10 days who knows. OnlY concern is that ive been told to just wait to progress my treatment as they are dealing with emergencies only. Stay safe, follow the advice and more for your own good and others. As Bruce would say..Keep posting!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

On the one hand this kind of graph does help to get people to change their behaviour. On the other, when the curve begins to flatten, then people will start getting complacent.
    You know this graph has a scale where the upper bound is 5k and the UK population is around 70m don't you?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Don’t worry about it; Albanians are a myth.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,364
    Omnium said:

DougSeal said:

You know this graph has a scale where the upper bound is 5k and the UK population is around 70m don't you?
    Don't bother me with technical details when I'm spouting platitudes!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Don’t worry about it; Albanians are a myth.
    Thanks.
    They are an Envernating tale, but nothing else.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Eight days only other direct Human contact the checkout staff in the supermarket And my better half. It would help if the weather was better so that we could sit outside but as far as I can tell I’m not going loopy yet, maybe poco loco, but it isn’t the end of the world as seems to be implied by many they interview who claim they would go md if they couldn’t go for a walk. I have what’s app to keep in touch with the family, Facebook to exchange latest news with a wider group and you can always pick up the phone. I still don’t know anyone with the bug or anyone who knows someone etc but the first two cases have been reported in our community, about 20,000 people. There are reportedly 30 cases in our local hospital but no way of verifying.

Supermarkets settled down and no shortages, how I will feel in another 10 days who knows. OnlY concern is that ive been told to just wait to progress my treatment as they are dealing with emergencies only. Stay safe, follow the advice and more for your own good and others. As Bruce would say..Keep posting!

Sorry to hear your treatment is being held up, albeit not very surprised. Great to know you’re so positive in other ways. Stay strong feller.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Omnium said:

DougSeal said:

Don't bother me with technical details when I'm spouting platitudes!
    I worry that you're nearly as daft as me.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,460
    Charles said:

1. What you are saying is that:

* Gross profit - fixed costs - staff costs < 0 - fixed costs
    * Gross profit - staff costs < 0

Unless you view the drop in gross profit as being temporary (which doesn't work as you define as "struggling for a while") then it would make sense to continue operating

2. In practice this doesn't work, because it would need all staff to accept that they would be complicit in breaking the law (I assume) by falsely claiming. In order for this to work you would need to share the benefit of the 80%. This would show up in next month's PAYE unless you pay then cash in hand, in which case you are getting into a whole different level of criminality.

1. Scenario is business is struggling but planning to struggle on (perhaps in reduced form) for a while longer hoping that things will improve. But now this package offers to cover their wage bill if they close for 3 months. So they take that option. It's better for them. They close for 3 months.

2. Scenario is the WFHs are not doing work that adds much value. The company has them WFH due to social distancing advice. They can afford to take the overhead. So now - with the package - they reclassify as on furlough. Not breaking the law because they are at the same time told not to work. The work was not achieving much anyway. Unlocks the 80%.

These are possible scenarios that may happen. Surely I'm right?

Just please say yes. I have a bun in the oven.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Jeez just seen the Italy figures

And the UK's.

God almighty.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

And the UK's.

God almighty.

There isn't going to be a "new normal" is there. It will be worse every day until June.
  • Options

And the UK's.

God almighty.

Why is the left in such a tizz?

Whatever the figures are, they are what they are.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Unless you view the drop in gross profit as being temporary (which doesn't work as you define as "struggling for a while") then it would make sense to continue operating

2. In practice this doesn't work, because it would need all staff to accept that they would be complicit in breaking the law (I assume) by falsely claiming. In order for this to work you would need to share the benefit of the 80%. This would show up in next month's PAYE unless you pay then cash in hand, in which case you are getting into a whole different level of criminality.

1. Scenario is business is struggling but planning to struggle on (perhaps in reduced form) for a while longer hoping that things will improve. But now this package offers to cover their wage bill if they close for 3 months. So they take that option. It's better for them. They close for 3 months.

2. Scenario is the WFHs are not doing work that adds much value. The company has them WFH due to social distancing advice. They can afford to take the overhead. So now - with the package - they reclassify as on furlough. Not breaking the law because they are at the same time told not to work. The work was not achieving much anyway. Unlocks the 80%.

These are possible scenarios that may happen. Surely I'm right?

Just please say yes. I have a bun in the oven.
    1. You keep restating the scenario. I understand it. You are saying a definite loss (=fixed costs) for a period of time is better than struggling on. This only makes rational sense if gross profit is less than variable (i.e. staff) costs. But if gross profit is less than variable cost and that has been the case for a while, the rational decision is to shut the business

2. Theoretically possible, but if the company can do without them and can make that decision on a rapid and rational basis they would eliminate the role anyway. In this case then Sunak's package has bought these individuals 3 months of extra income. Certainly expensive and a less good return than preserving a permanent job, but in the circumstances may be acceptable.

I can't say you are right, because your scenarios require the businesses to be operating irrationally.
  • Options
    Passing of King Kenny being sadly neglected. Just 30 seconds on the news tonight. So I would like to say a few words -

He knew when to hold them. And when to fold them. He knew when to walk away. When to run. He never counted his money when he was sitting at the table. Because there is ample time for counting when the dealing is done. 👏
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,574
    Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Good to see that at least one of our number is ahead of the panic buying of cloves.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,778
    News from the Rentool Austerity Kitchen. Tonight's tea was pasta and Spam. With some pesto. I enjoyed it!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Good to see that at least one of our number is ahead of the panic buying of cloves.
    My grandfather died in September 2002. He was a very shrewd man many of whose predictions (e.g. about what would happen to over-leveraged banks who didn’t know their clients) have come true. But I don’t think even he foresaw this.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Passing of King Kenny being sadly neglected. Just 30 seconds on the news tonight. So I would like to say a few words -

He knew when to hold them. And when to fold them. He knew when to walk away. When to run. He never counted his money when he was sitting at the table. Because there is ample time for counting when the dealing is done. 👏

That's a great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hx4gdlfamo
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    kinabalu said:

He picked a fine time to leave us.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Omnium said:

And the UK's.

God almighty.

What a stupid post. And what has this got to do with left and right?

The figures are awful and getting worse. If you don't want to know about it then take your social isolation one stage further and return here two years from now.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220
    London has had 1,965 confirmed cases. That’s 39% of UK cases compared with London having 13% of the UK’s population.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,753

Omnium said:

And the UK's.

God almighty.

The figures are awful and getting worse. If you don't want to know about it then take your social isolation one stage further and return here two years from now.
    Remember that these numbers are the story of what happened 10 days ago.
  • Options

News from the Rentool Austerity Kitchen. Tonight's tea was pasta and Spam. With some pesto. I enjoyed it!

I had courgette spaghetti. This is what happens when I can't stop my wife...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

But did he walk or run?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220
    edited March 2020
    Stoke-on-Trent has had just two confirmed cases. And Middlesbrough just one case.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,122
    San Marino
    Population 33,400
    Cases 151
    Deaths 20

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    Charles said:

My wife rustled up a crab and gruyere tart.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

alex_ said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Not really though.

They've closed the stores because they don't have any customers.

Admitted JLP is not quite like other companies, but they wouldn't keep staff (sorry: "partners") for long if they didn't have the revenue to pay them

It's more like that it's an example of Sunak's policy working.

Maybe they were going to close on Monday with or without the package. That is possible. I did say that JL was only a possible example of what I'm saying.

But you do get my general points, I'm sure -

1. The package will make closing a no-brainer decision for some businesses that otherwise would have struggled on for a while.

2. There is scope for abuse by businesses that are not seriously struggling.

And to be clear, I raise this purely for interest, not because I oppose the package.
    A business that is not "seriously struggling" would rather have people remain in employment and working. It might trim back individuals, but if it decided to do that then it wouldn't be interested in a 3 month option to keep them on. Retail stores or others that have no revenues in this situation simply would have to fire people, which is what the package avoids.

I imagine John Lewis are shifting a lot of staff to Waitrose.

Also, whilst I have great sympathy for the situation many self employed find themselves in, there are companies (most obviously supermarkets) creating jobs that people can apply for. They shouldn’t just expect the Govt to solve everything. God knows what the Govt does if there’s a repeat of what is happening now in winter.
    Yes they are. Waitrose Cowbridge on Thursday was being manned largely by staff from John Lewis Cardiff store. Does that mean the part-timers at Waitrose have been let go?

Not happy with Government's self employed response. Too difficult to administer I understand- so we can go hang? Why not a fixed or sliding rate paid directly based on the last completed self- assessment? There will be a lot of tax- paying plumbers, builders and hairdressers going hungry over the next few months. Just a reminder they are predominantly Conservative voters!

I also understand the idea of a fixed income for everyone during the crisis had the kybosh put on it by IDS's intervention. It was a disincentive to work apparantly, and would undermine his super universal credit scheme. What a guy!
    Link to your final paragraph please or is a random piece of fiction
    I like to extend general courtesies to your good self. You have accused me of lying! I may appear to be in 'princess' mode but I am genuinely insulted.
    Your accusation has no factual base

IDS has no role in this new Boris government who has a chancellor who kept repeating compassion throughout his presentation

It is the insinuation that this government is listening to a backbencher, when this deal was agreed and applauded by the TUC and the CBI

Please explain how Francis O' Grady and Len McCluskey were so wholesome in their praise of the chancellor and this government
    I couldn't care less what McCluskey or O'Grady think.

I have no criticism of the measures Sunak has implemented except for the total exclusion of me (to date).

People like me could be accomodated if there was a universal fee paid for the duration of the crisis. I am OK I have savings, there are many self-employed people who don't.

And yes you implied I lied!
    You tried to tie IDS into decision making at the highest level in this government without any evidence he had any influence on the decisions being made

I am not accusing you of lying
    The government are indicating that it would be difficult to compensate self- employed people like me in a similar manner to how they are compensating employed people. Some universal payment system for everyone costing no more than the current system outlined by Sunak (except Sunak is currently excluding the self-employed) would be fine.

I repeat IDS believes that system disincentivises work. He was quoted as saying so in the Independent. I will bet my boots he has Boris' ear. Maybe he is right, and lazy lowlife scum like me should get out and take one of the many fabulous new opportunities offered by the supermarkets. Indeed maybe I will try!
    I really think your last paragraph is hyperbole and you have no evidence that Boris or Rishi are listening to him.

I do have sympathy for the self employed and hope that next week the issue will be addressed.

This is a huge crisis and every issue cannot be resolved just at a flick of a switch.

Let us see what comes along from either the Treasury or HMRC next week
    But it could have been resolved with a flick of a switch! A simpler system could have been adopted by government to accomodate everyone. Iain Duncan Smith however thinks one of those systems at least disincentivises people, and he has said so.

As for hyperbole. you are quite right- but the reality applies, and if I am left high and dry, I will find something as I don't feel I should be spending what I have saved for my retirement when everyone else is being looked after. And before someone explains I have alread been showered with jam by the government. yes I am aware our tax payments have been deferred to January from July,

Time to take a break from PB perhaps.
    No please do not do that.

I really do not want you or anyone left high and dry.

I reject IDS heartless nonsense and maybe that is why I am odds with HYUFD so much

We all need to show compassion and understanding and I do believe in Boris, Rishi and others we have that. IDS is yesterdays news

I really am hopeful you will see help next week

It is not uncompassionate to be concerned with not overloading the deficit and hammering families znd bisinesses with tax rises for years to come if we do not spend only what is required to support workers and businesses through the timeframe of this crisis.

To be fair to IDS he was also urging action and support last week
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,122
    edited March 2020
    "'Bog roll bandits': three people arrested after toilet paper heist

Essex police posted about the attempted heist on Twitter, with the hashtag #ThatsHowWeRoll. " (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/21/bog-roll-bandits-three-people-arrested-toilet-paper-heist
  • Options
    Charles said:

1. You keep restating the scenario. I understand it. You are saying a definite loss (=fixed costs) for a period of time is better than struggling on. This only makes rational sense if gross profit is less than variable (i.e. staff) costs. But if gross profit is less than variable cost and that has been the case for a while, the rational decision is to shut the business

2. Theoretically possible, but if the company can do without them and can make that decision on a rapid and rational basis they would eliminate the role anyway. In this case then Sunak's package has bought these individuals 3 months of extra income. Certainly expensive and a less good return than preserving a permanent job, but in the circumstances may be acceptable.

I can't say you are right, because your scenarios require the businesses to be operating irrationally.

"What we have here, Luke, is a failya to commooonicate".
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Stoke-on-Trent has had just two confirmed cases. And Middlesbrough just one case.

Smog kills the virus?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Feel sympathy for Aldous Huxley and C S Lewis. Literary titans, philosophers and influential thinkers in a range of fields.

Neither warranted so much as an obituary.

Because they both died on the 22nd November 1963.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

"What we have here, Luke, is a failya to commooonicate".
    Well if you eliminate the requirement for actors to be rational then any scenario is possible
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

London has had 1,965 confirmed cases. That’s 39% of UK cases compared with London having 13% of the UK’s population.

I did suggest that hot spots are the engine which drives this virus, it was becoming clear a few days ago that London was taking off. But you can’t, without very rapid measures lock down a city and those with somewhere to go will have unfortunately gone. Just the same as spain, shut the schools down in Madrid and suddenly realize that all the second homers have done bunk to the coast. I’m afraid the West Country and the south coast will suffer.
  • Options

Charles said:

Show off we had bangers and mash
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,446
    edited March 2020

The self-employed are the one group that benefits proportionally less than other groups from the government's action, and would have indeed as mentioned benefitted disproportionately more from the universal incomes policy. The government may have to do more here, and if Ian Duncan-Smith has had any influence on the government's thinking on the subject, I very much hope he won't have any more. His day is gone.

You might have said that about Grayling just a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Eh?

"Staff will receive free burials when it's over" would be a lot more chilling.

At least it assumes staff will be alive at the end of this process.
    You're starting to sound a bit like HYUFD, lately.
    Nothing remotely wrong with that
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    New decree by Lombardy regional government:

Effective from tomorrow until April 15th.

- fine of 5,000 euros for those caught gatherings in public places
    - the suspension of the activity of Public Offices, except the provision of essential and public utility services;
    - the suspension of craft activities not related to emergencies or essential supply chains;
    - the suspension of all weekly open markets;
    - suspension of activities relating to services to people;
    - the closure of the activities of the professional firms except those relating to urgent services or subject to deadlines;
    - the closure of all accommodation facilities with the exception of those related to emergency management. Guests already present in the facility must leave it within 72 hours following the entry into force of the order;
    - the stop of activities on construction sites: those related to health and hospital and emergency restructuring activities, as well as road, motorway and railway activities are excluded from the ban;
    - the closure of the 24h automatic vending machines which distribute drinks and packaged foods;
    - the ban on practicing sports and physical activities carried out outdoors, even individually.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,564
    Charles said:

courgette is the evil vegetable and I will go down fighting to not have to eat one.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Charles said:

Show off we had bangers and mash
    Trade you? (Don't tell her!)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Feel sympathy for Aldous Huxley and C S Lewis. Literary titans, philosophers and influential thinkers in a range of fields.

And JFK.
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Eh?

"Staff will receive free burials when it's over" would be a lot more chilling.

At least it assumes staff will be alive at the end of this process.
    You're starting to sound a bit like HYUFD, lately.
    Nothing remotely wrong with that
    I didn't judge, I merely noticed.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

And the UK's.

God almighty.

There isn't going to be a "new normal" is there. It will be worse every day until June.
    By my figures we are just short of 2x per two days. But this could be about testing.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

The self-employed are the one group that benefits proportionally less than other groups from the government's action, and would have indeed as mentioned benefitted disproportionately more from the universal incomes policy. The government may have to do more here, and if Ian Duncan-Smith has had any influence on the government's thinking on the subject, I very much hope he won't have any more. His day is gone.

Even I have said a UBI may be needed if we go to full lockdown but we are not there yet and only for that period given the cost to taxpayers
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

And JFK.
    That was the reason
  • Options

Omnium said:

And the UK's.

God almighty.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but there seems to be a lot of panic on the left of politics. I will say that McDonnell is the exception here - he's just putting his foot on the floor.

The figures have some interest, but we can only just see what they are.

I'm happy to see how things develop. Panic and invocations of deities are for you.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,446
    HYUFD said:

Even I have said a UBI may be needed if we go to full lockdown but we are not there yet and only for that period given the cost to taxpayers

..but HYUFD you have class, IDS does not!
  • Options
    Charles said:

When I was a student I once made a pea omelette. Never repeated.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

And JFK.
    Is that right? Check The Times. They had a strict rule of only domestic news until page 9. No mention of JFK's assassination until then.....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

And JFK.
    Well, yes, I gather some corrupt egotistical sex maniac died rather suddenly that day and it overshadowed other news.

Ultimately, though, I would argue he was less important in the long run than certainly Huxley and arguably Lewis as well.

I am aware this view may be controversial!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

And JFK.
    Is that right? Check The Times. They had a strict rule of only domestic news until page 9. No mention of JFK's assassination until then.....
    That still wouldn’t have helped Huxley as he died in California.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

And JFK.
    Didn't a New Zealand paper have the news before it actually happened? Or was that the moon landing
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,844
    edited March 2020

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9fly1

And a bit of etymology"

https://www.businessinsider.com/email-term-spam-junk-mail-actually-stems-monty-python-sketch-2017-1
  • Options
    Government gives 'key worker' status to all journalists reporting on coronavirus pandemic

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/government-gives-key-worker-status-to-all-journalists-reporting-on-coronavirus-pandemic/
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    @MarqueeMark Crab and Gruyere tart, wonderful combination, though I often use cheddar.

I see Nat Trust are shutting all parks and gardens from Midnight. Was walking on one of the hills near Abergaveny, stiff breeze on the tops. Now I see Wales Online pointing the finger at hill walkers. Is a ban likely?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/crowds-leave-city-centres-deserted-17959202
  • Options
    Never laughed so much not watched ant and dec Saturday shite before but the send up of Bradley Walsh was priceless not laughed as much in yeas.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,670
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Prokofiev died the same day as Stalin, 5th March 1953. One of them is still remembered with gratitude and joy; the other still execrated as a mass murderer. History has long arms.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,919
    HYUFD said:
    Capitalism is a brutal, competitive, adversarial environment and it prospers for so being. Businesses fail even in good times because they are poorly run or their competition is better or their product is superseded by something more popular and cheaper.

Allister Heath (no socialist) argued in 2009 no business should be too big or too small to fail and it was incumbent on every business to have a plan in case of failure - a Will if you like - to determine who should get paid what from the wreckage.

When a business fails, the shareholders and the creditors suffer primarily - that can ripple into other businesses bringing them down.

And yet businesses fail and others take their place. Where once was a Woolworths is now a Poundland - Peacocks begat Poundworld which is now Iceland (in my High Street). M&S became Wilko.

The spirit of enterprise means someone will come along and replace that which has reached the end of its life - no business has a right to exist in perpetuity propped up by the taxpayer. Let it die and something else will replace it - nature abhors a vacuum.

To what extent therefore are Sunak's plans going to keep zombie companies in business (just as QE did before) whereas letting them die would be in the spirit of capitalism? Protect the workers - yes, I get that but protect the businesses - I'm less convinced. If a business is poorly run, capitalism offers it no mercy but it does encourage those who have ideas and new ways of working to try - at least it should.

For workers being laid off from one area, Tesco's apparently need 20,000 extra staff to keep its stores running - that's capitalism and the nature of work. One door closes, another opens. When life returns to whatever passes for normal, Tesco's will let some if not all of the 20,000 go and they will find work in the new businesses which will arise from this.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Prokofiev died the same day as Stalin, 5th March 1953. One of them is still remembered with gratitude and joy; the other still execrated as a mass murderer. History has long arms.

A mass murderer? I wouldn’t have said his music was that bad.
  • Options

Charles said:

When I was a student I once made a pea omelette. Never repeated.
    You should have used mushy peas.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

- the suspension of the activity of Public Offices, except the provision of essential and public utility services;
    - the suspension of craft activities not related to emergencies or essential supply chains;
    - the closure of the activities of the professional firms except those relating to urgent services or subject to deadlines;
    - the closure of all accommodation facilities with the exception of those related to emergency management. Guests already present in the facility must leave it within 72 hours following the entry into force of the order;
    - the stop of activities on construction sites: those related to health and hospital and emergency restructuring activities, as well as road, motorway and railway activities are excluded from the ban;
    - the closure of the 24h automatic vending machines which distribute drinks and packaged foods;
    - the ban on practicing sports and physical activities carried out outdoors, even individually.

I'm very surprised at a number of things here only just been banned - eg weekly markets, here in Spain they were stopped on day 1 of the lockdown along with most of the rest of the list. Has Italy really being allowing all these things while ostensibly on 'lockdown'. Makes no sense.
  • Options
    A good question!

(I'm guessing it's supposed to say 1928, but maybe Korea. Anyway it's not just you that is puzzled.)
  • Options
    Omnium said:

A good question!

(I'm guessing it's supposed to say 1928, but maybe Korea. Anyway it's not just you that is puzzled.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recession_of_1958
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

A good question!

Yep - looked it up too.

Not something I was aware of. Were you?
  • Options
    felix said:

I'm very surprised at a number of things here only just been banned - eg weekly markets, here in Spain they were stopped on day 1 of the lockdown along with most of the rest of the list. Has Italy really being allowing all these things while ostensibly on 'lockdown'. Makes no sense.
    I thought that, the fines are chicken feed, I think the delivery of services to people in some cases is still allowed. Very surprising.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

A good question!

Yep - looked it up too.

Yes, but I was not aware it was so sharp or that it affected America so badly.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    felix said:

Agreed. The lockdown in Italy has been really lax. I find it very odd to be honest... I think Spain is doing a much better job by the sound of it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

And JFK.
    That was @ydoethur 's point.

As Sheryl Crow once put it, she remembers where she was the day that Aldous Huxley died
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,252
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

A good question!

Also another flu pandemic that killed over 100,000 in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1957-1958-pandemic.html
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

A good question!

Yep - looked it up too.

Top wise person! There was something the other day - much like 'sliced bread' that you hadn't heard of, Forget what it was - do you recall?

• Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

And JFK.

As Sheryl Crow once put it, she remembers where she was the day that Aldous Huxley died
    He went out stoned to the eyeballs on mescaline which his wife injected into him.

Whatever floats your boat...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited March 2020
    clapforourcarers.co.uk trying to get a celebration of carers like the ones in Spain and Brazil.
  • Options
    At this stage, the US’s experiment appears to be going rather worse, and you certainly wouldn’t rule out Donald Trump judging November’s elections to be something that had better be suspended under the circumstances.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/boris-johnson-covid-19-prime-minister-brexit

I think we have established on this fine blog, that that is very very difficult. But I feel the need for reassurance.

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

And JFK.

He went out stoned to the eyeballs on mescaline which his wife injected into him.

Whatever floats your boat...
    Huxley was vastly influential beyond just being wide-eyed advocate of hallucinogenics, and deserves to be remembered more.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    ABZ said:

felix said:

Agreed. The lockdown in Italy has been really lax. I find it very odd to be honest... I think Spain is doing a much better job by the sound of it.
    They are - today we've had the army supporting the police - and road blocks in Madrid turning back people trying to head to second homes. In my area of Almeria - they are also monitoring both the roads and the large number of second homes and sending people back. It's harsh but the only way to stem the spread. Still unclear if it will work but the Italian picture sounds like a complete clusterfuck and a terrible human tragedy in the making.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,952

IanB2 said:

An Albanian cabbie told me the other day "I had that eadric in the back of my cab..."
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

A good question!

Yep - looked it up too.

Top wise person! There was something the other day - much like 'sliced bread' that you hadn't heard of, Forget what it was - do you recall?

I think it was a puffer fish.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:
    Capitalism is a brutal, competitive, adversarial environment and it prospers for so being. Businesses fail even in good times because they are poorly run or their competition is better or their product is superseded by something more popular and cheaper.

Allister Heath (no socialist) argued in 2009 no business should be too big or too small to fail and it was incumbent on every business to have a plan in case of failure - a Will if you like - to determine who should get paid what from the wreckage.

When a business fails, the shareholders and the creditors suffer primarily - that can ripple into other businesses bringing them down.

And yet businesses fail and others take their place. Where once was a Woolworths is now a Poundland - Peacocks begat Poundworld which is now Iceland (in my High Street). M&S became Wilko.

The spirit of enterprise means someone will come along and replace that which has reached the end of its life - no business has a right to exist in perpetuity propped up by the taxpayer. Let it die and something else will replace it - nature abhors a vacuum.

To what extent therefore are Sunak's plans going to keep zombie companies in business (just as QE did before) whereas letting them die would be in the spirit of capitalism? Protect the workers - yes, I get that but protect the businesses - I'm less convinced. If a business is poorly run, capitalism offers it no mercy but it does encourage those who have ideas and new ways of working to try - at least it should.

For workers being laid off from one area, Tesco's apparently need 20,000 extra staff to keep its stores running - that's capitalism and the nature of work. One door closes, another opens. When life returns to whatever passes for normal, Tesco's will let some if not all of the 20,000 go and they will find work in the new businesses which will arise from this.

I think you need to differentiate between a short term exogenous shock and a fundamental structural issue.

It makes sense to help airlines, etc rather than see them go bankrupt and people lose their livelihood. That help should not be cost free (which I am relaxed about the government making equity investments, although they should be non-voting).

It makes sense to protect workers via the companies for a short period of time. But if this is the new normal then you can't protect for ever
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

A good question!

Yep - looked it up too.

ah yes.

You've clearly got the more useful stuff stored :)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

A good question!

Yep - looked it up too.

ah yes.

I am intrigued though as to why you associate puffer fishes with sliced bread.

Is there a story here?
  • Options
    spire2spire2 Posts: 183

At this stage, the US’s experiment appears to be going rather worse, and you certainly wouldn’t rule out Donald Trump judging November’s elections to be something that had better be suspended under the circumstances.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/boris-johnson-covid-19-prime-minister-brexit

I think we have established on this fine blog, that that is very very difficult. But I feel the need for reassurance.

its not impossible if there was an extreme increase in cases but Trump would need support from Democrats
  • Options
    I see that plenty of people decided that today was a great day for a trip to the seaside.
  • Options

clapforourcarers.co.uk trying to get a celebration of carers like the ones in Spain and Brazil.

The downside, is that it can make people who participate feel that they have done enough. When, in reality, they have done nothing.
  • Options
    ABZ said:

felix said:

It is very easy to announce a lock down. It is rather harder to actually stop people socialising.

One person of my acquaintance - recovering cancer patient - seems to listen to the government, but thinks that going out of the house 15 times a day for any old reason is isolation. Keeps on inviting me round....
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

This is capitalism as religion, I'm afraid. The lockdown provides no measure of viability - some much more long-term viable businesses are vulnerable to it than long-term unsustainable businesses - and so considering the randomness of this, the government has no choice but to, and indeed a duty to, recompense all businesses across the board.

Capitalism is not a state of nature, or abstract physical force ; just a particular application of trade. German capitalism of the last 45 years, for instance, is a lot less brutal and a lot more effective for its citizens.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Scott_xP said:
    It's possible, but I don't think the parallel is especially indicative. Clearly London has the worst problem at the moment and clearly it's accelerating, but no especially reason why it should parallel Lombardy (could be lower or indeed higher).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

A good question!

Yep - looked it up too.

ah yes.

I am intrigued though as to why you associate puffer fishes with sliced bread.

Is there a story here?
    Trevor the pufferfish was very fond of bread. However he struggled in that bread didn't work well in water and was generally big so far as a pufferfish was concerned. One day though, ...

No of course there's no story!

Anyone that suggests so is merely playing to the pufferfish media!

Any suggestions as to Herring and sliced bread though I 'll plead guilty.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

An Albanian cabbie told me the other day "I had that eadric in the back of my cab..."
    Was that the C developer Albanian cabbie - hates Python? Top bloke
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    It's possible, but I don't think the parallel is especially indicative. Clearly London has the worst problem at the moment and clearly it's accelerating, but no especially reason why it should parallel Lombardy (could be lower or indeed higher).
    I'm curious as to how, as a Professor of Politics, he became such an expert in public health and epidemiology so quickly
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_xP said:
    I'm curious as to how, as a Professor of Politics, he became such an expert in public health and epidemiology so quickly
    Owning a Twitter account, of course.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 950
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

A business that is not "seriously struggling" would rather have people remain in employment and working. It might trim back individuals, but if it decided to do that then it wouldn't be interested in a 3 month option to keep them on. Retail stores or others that have no revenues in this situation simply would have to fire people, which is what the package avoids.

That will no doubt cover most scenarios. I'm not saying otherwise. I'm postulating a couple of other scenarios that will probably also occur.

1. A business that would have struggled on for a while without the package decides instead to close now for at least 3 months.

2. A business not struggling that has people WFH due to the crisis re-designates them as being on furlough due to the crisis, thus unlocking the 80%

Yes?

I suspect that there is going to be an interesting conversation amongst the management at work on Monday. I'm third ruler in the kingdom, after the two brothers who own the business. We currently have work in hand to do (we work on projects with long turnrounds) but the medium term prospects aren't great - our customer base is largely shut down at the moment (we mostly make stuff for the heritage steam railway world), and I suspect we'll see a dearth of new orders for a while after restrictions end. Should we close the doors now, take the government's 80% offer, hope that we've then got enough work from current projects to survive the dearth once normality returns? Should we carry on and hope for the best? Is business going to be so bad for the foreseeable that we might as well just give up now? It's a very hard call to make, especially as the government support currently on offer may well end right when we'll most need it.
This discussion has been closed.