Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As schools close down for an indefinite period it looks as tho

Comments

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As I have stated it is also not unlimited money

"Sunak said there would be no limit on the funding available to pay people’s wages."

I have to ask sir - given your repeated denial of the evidence of your eyes and ears are you also a Flat Earther?
    80% of wages is not 100% of wages
    Is the word "unlimited" causing you some problems? I didn't say they were paying unlimited wages ie Virgin furlough Branson and we pay his do,at. It's that the payment of £2,500 a month is unlimited. It has no limit. It has no end date. It will go on as lomg as is needed.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Sunak also increases UC standard allowance by £1000 a year as he says he still cannot promise no job losses, self employed people to access UC at rate of SSP for employees.

Self assessment patments deferred to January 2021

Rishi is demonstrating the conservative party has compassion and is prepared to support everyone irrespective of costs through this crisis

And contrary to some of your heartless posts yesterday
    At times like this, Big_G, perhaps better to celebrate HYUFD’s ability to execute philosophical pirouettes every time his government adopts policies he was previously inveighing against. He is a true Tory trimmer, which is a definite part of the Tories’s historical makeup.
    I would love to have the certainty of worldview and philosophy that HYUFD has. Even if I were wrong.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

I wonder what the check will be if a company claims 80% of a person's salary and that person carries on working at home?

How on earth will anyone know if person is still working?

No way round this but it'll be a goldmine for some companies!

Wouldn't the employee have to take a pay cut to £2k per month though? They might not be willing to do that, and most jobs that can be done from home will be carry a higher salary than that.
    As I understand it the company will continue to pay the full salary and the government will pay up to £2000 of it if it is above £2500.

The idea has so much potential for abuse.
    No, it's only for furloughed workers. It's the government subsidy or nothing.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

I wonder what the check will be if a company claims 80% of a person's salary and that person carries on working at home?

Wouldn't the employee have to take a pay cut to £2k per month though? They might not be willing to do that, and most jobs that can be done from home will be carry a higher salary than that.
    As I understand it the company will continue to pay the full salary and the government will pay up to £2000 of it if it is above £2500.

You understand it wrong. it's for furloughed employees that would otherwise be paid nothing.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Wouldn't surprise me if national debt is at 120-130% of GDP once this is all over, and possible more if the economy shrinks.

That isn't good.

It isn't, but there's no choice. I suspect it won't matter too much in the end, because this is such an unprecedented situation. It's not as though the pound is going to collapse against other currencies as a result of our high debt, because the US and other major economies are also going to be running up huge national debts (indeed the US was well on the way, Gordon-Brown-style, even before the crisis.)

In practice, QE will cover a lot of it. Normally one might be worried about this leading to inflation, but there is so much deflationary pressure as a result of the crisis that that's not a worry for now at least.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Wait hold on what's going on we're on a UK wide lockdown now ?
  • Options
    It makes you wonder exactly what the government know about the virus. They are throwing everything at it, with probably more to come. Mind blowing.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Sunak also increases UC standard allowance by £1000 a year as he says he still cannot promise no job losses, self employed people to access UC at rate of SSP for employees.

Rishi is demonstrating the conservative party has compassion and is prepared to support everyone irrespective of costs through this crisis

At times like this, Big_G, perhaps better to celebrate HYUFD’s ability to execute philosophical pirouettes every time his government adopts policies he was previously inveighing against. He is a true Tory trimmer, which is a definite part of the Tories’s historical makeup.
    Maybe
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,460
    edited March 2020

GIN1138 said:

I bet Jezza can't believe he's missed out on this opportunity for massive state spending and government intervention.

Would have been manna from heaven if only it hadn't been for the pesky voters...

The genius of democracy. Truly we have dodged a bullet by not having Corbyn and Milne and co in charge of this national crisis.
    Truly that is partisan nonsense. Read the Conservative manifesto and realise Boris was going to shake the magic money tree even before the corona virus was a twinkle in a pangolin's eye. Boris won by being a better Corbyn than Jeremy Corbyn, and by opposing Cameron and May.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Everything has changed. Everything. There is no coming back from this. We are all social democrats now. It has taken a tragic crisis, but we have the very real opportunity to create a better Britain. We must grasp it and not let it go.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,844
    Pulpstar said:

Not quite... But very, very close to it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not fully, you can still move around.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Sunak said there would be no limit on the funding available to pay people’s wages."

I have to ask sir - given your repeated denial of the evidence of your eyes and ears are you also a Flat Earther?
    It is certainly limited for me being self- employed. Limited to 0% of my annual earnings.
  • Options

Everything has changed. Everything. There is no coming back from this. We are all social democrats now. It has taken a tragic crisis, but we have the very real opportunity to create a better Britain. We must grasp it and not let it go.

Give it a rest.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited March 2020
    Pulpstar said:

The UK debt chart from 1910 to 1950 is instructive, we're probably ok running the debt up to a bit over 200%. This is basically a war situation right now - the 2008 GFC for all it's bombast was just the big global banks fucking up over mortgages so wartime debt comparisons weren't appropriate. They are now.

I think 200% puts us in the region of where we are going.....it is not just increased spending, but a a catastrophic reduction in tax collection over an increasingly sustained period.....

I wonder if China will come out with a Marshall Plan to resuscitate the global economy
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't call it a lock-down. You can still go to Wetherspoons for a delicious burger, you'll just have to take it home to eat. If someone can find a legal way that pubs can do take-away pints they'll make a fortune
  • Options
    Can we please replace Johnson with Sunak.

Johnson 1000% better than yesterday but still coming across as confused. Not good enough.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Yebbut normally they are more subtle about it...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is certainly limited for me being self- employed. Limited to 0% of my annual earnings.
    They were asked about this point at the press conference. It’s possible further measures will follow early next week.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Full UK-wide lock-down in around another ten days I'd have thought?
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

You understand it wrong. it's for furloughed employees that would otherwise be paid nothing.
    That seems strange.

So if a company wants to keep a higher paid furloughed employee on the books, say earning £2600 a month, they will have to pay the full salary and the government won't help at all?

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

Nah.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Full UK-wide lock-down in around another ten days I'd have thought?
    They might want to time that just before the peak.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    edited March 2020
    MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

Yes, good point!

Also big companies aren't going to get into massive organised law breaking.

A very small company with just 3 or 4 employees might say to them we are laying you off but actually you carry on working but no company of any size would risk it as would just need one employee to report the company to HMRC / police.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

So you're voting LibDem from here onwards are you?

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Religous staff ??!?!

You've got to be shitting me.

Is for funerals, cremations, and the like.
    Should be limited to undertakers and grave diggers if the Gov't wants to take it seriously.
    Silly comment. You might not want any religion at your funeral but most do, I believe.
    They also tend to be in large spaces with a small number of people or outside.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

Speak for yourself while I think these measures are absolutely necessary once its over we need to head back to fiscal sanity
  • Options

Johnson 1000% better than yesterday but still coming across as confused. Not good enough.

Give Boris a break.

Rishi will be along in time

And they make a good combination
  • Options

I agree
  • Options

Considering that he only got the job when Javid decided he wanted the the independence from Downing Street to make his mark, Sunak has been an absolute revelation.

Ok so we're comparing him to clown like Johnson and smirking monsters like Patel, but he genuinely comes across as someone serious, measured and calm. All the skills you need in a crisis. Wherever did the Tories find him?

He is a smart bloke doing the only thing a smart bloke would do in this situation. The interesting bit will be the afterwards. Right now, he has no real choices. Once the emergency passes, he will have. I am genuinely interested to see what he will do and how he starts to claw the money back. Austerity max would seem to be a non-starter. I suspect that offshore money is going to get a whole lot harder to hold in the future for both businesses and private individuals.

• Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Yebbut normally they are more subtle about it...
    It's truly a sight to behold. YouTube and Netflix may have turned down their bandwidth, happily HYUFD has not turned down the speed of his dancing on that pinhead. Which is good - we need entertaining now we can't have a beer.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Rishi's bailout of small firms needs to be made idiot-proof because a lot of small businesses are run by people who do not hold advanced degrees in accountancy and law. One or two I've known can barely tie their own shoelaces.

Second thought: suppliers of bookkeeping and payroll software may need to update quickly, which may be hard if the rules are changing weekly.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

That seems strange.

So if a company wants to keep a higher paid furloughed employee on the books, say earning £2600 a month, they will have to pay the full salary and the government won't help at all?

I don't think it is strange. The government will pay a maximum of £2,500 for any employee.

Two furloughed employees. A earns £2,000 a month, B earns £4,000 a month. A would receive £1,600 a month from HMG, B would receive £2,500. Neither would receive anything from the employer because they are furloughed.
  • Options
    I need to know what the ruling was on gyms outside London, since I part own one where they run up to 18 athletes in a 6000sqft space.

Is it all of them, everywhere?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Some just spin a bit more slowly but they always come back to following the great leader.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

That seems strange.

no the employee will sit at home not working with the maxium payout
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I think that's right (at least for a decade or so anyway) I said last night I think the upshot of Covid-19 will be quite a significant move to the left and Labour are now odds on to win the 2024 general election.

Won't last for ever but for a decade or so people will be up for increased spending and revitalizing the public services.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488
    MattW said:

I need to know what the ruling was on gyms outside London, since I part own one where they run up to 18 athletes in a 6000sqft space.

Yes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

That seems strange.

I don't think it is strange. The government will pay a maximum of £2,500 for any employee.

Two furloughed employees. A earns £2,000 a month, B earns £4,000 a month. A would receive £1,600 a month from HMG, B would receive £2,500
    That's exactly what I originally said isn't it?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    edited March 2020

It makes you wonder exactly what the government know about the virus. They are throwing everything at it, with probably more to come. Mind blowing.

I was thinking that. But it doesn’t lead you anywhere concrete. Positive spin - they would not have promised something this expensive if they thought it very long term. Negative spin - this is going to be so bad it doesn’t matter what they spend.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

That seems strange.

No, I think the government would subsidise up to 80% or £2.5K of any furloughed employee's monthly salary, whichever is the lower.
  • Options

MattW said:

Yes.
    So - time to shift to plan C, video workout at home.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

That seems strange.

Two furloughed employees. A earns £2,000 a month, B earns £4,000 a month. A would receive £1,600 a month from HMG, B would receive £2,500
    You originally said

"So if a company wants to keep a higher paid furloughed employee on the books, say earning £2600 a month, they will have to pay the full salary and the government won't help at all?"

That is not true. A furloughed employee earning £2,600 would receive nothing from the employer because they are furloughed, and £2,080 from the government.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Give it a rest.

Give what a rest? The Chancellor has done exactly the right thing. I can only applaud him. And by doing the right thing now he has created the possibility of a better tomorrow. It's been a horrible 10 days personally and for the country, truly awful; now there is some hope.

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Not quite... But very, very close to it.
    No you are not you can still have dinner parties, house birthday parties, buy clothes and furniture, you can talk to your neighbours and walk in the park, take a family drive in the country. You are a long way from lockdown.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

dr_spyn said:

Some good appears to have come out over that dispute over SPADs. https://twitter.com/RossFootball/status/1241057709606285312

Because The Saj would not have done what exactly?
    I don't think The Saj would have managed to hint the right tone which is needed at the moment. Rishi Sunak appears to sound confident, reassuring and able.

"Now more than at any time in our history, we will be judged by our capacity for compassion” Rishi Sunak says “when this is over, and it will be over, we want to look back on this moment & remember the many small acts of kindness, done by us and to us."

At the moment he appears to have a better political skill set than The Saj, but time will tell if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Today's data

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think that's right (at least for a decade or so anyway) I said last night I think the upshot of Covid-19 will be quite a significant move to the left and Labour are now odds on to win the 2024 general election.

Won't last for ever but for a decade or so people will be up for increased spending and revitalizing the public services.
    I don't think so myself I think the tax hikes to pay for all this are going to be eye watering and there will be no public appetite to spend more. Personally I think Rishi Sunak just secured another ten years of tory rule
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't call it a lock-down. You can still go to Wetherspoons for a delicious burger, you'll just have to take it home to eat. If someone can find a legal way that pubs can do take-away pints they'll make a fortune
    Ale places already do 4 pint carton take outs.

Apparently.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

That seems strange.

No, the government will pay £2000 per month to the company to keep them on the books and they sit at home doing nothing for three months.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    So Sunak is the new love object, I see.
  • Options

Considering that he only got the job when Javid decided he wanted the the independence from Downing Street to make his mark, Sunak has been an absolute revelation.

Ok so we're comparing him to clown like Johnson and smirking monsters like Patel, but he genuinely comes across as someone serious, measured and calm. All the skills you need in a crisis. Wherever did the Tories find him?

He is a smart bloke doing the only thing a smart bloke would do in this situation. The interesting bit will be the afterwards. Right now, he has no real choices. Once the emergency passes, he will have. I am genuinely interested to see what he will do and how he starts to claw the money back. Austerity max would seem to be a non-starter. I suspect that offshore money is going to get a whole lot harder to hold in the future for both businesses and private individuals.

The first world war collapsed the landowning class and led to universal suffrage

The second war led to a consensus around the state ownership of key industries, and of course the NHS.......

Covid 19.....we are in the same ballpark of epochal change...
  • Options

Give Boris a break.

The trouble with backing Rishi for PM is the timescale. In what scenario is Boris forced to resign, that does not take the Chancellor down with him?

And it is especially risky given Boris and Cummings have form for mistrusting Chancellors -- two were sacked and Saj faced constructive dismissal over SpAds.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I bet Jezza can't believe he's missed out on this opportunity for massive state spending and government intervention.

Would have been manna from heaven if only it hadn't been for the pesky voters...

But it has delivered a golden chance for Starmer to be the 2024 equivalent of Attlee or FDR.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Barnesian said:

Today's data

How come US is leveling off?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

627 new deaths in Italy

689 new healed

Net increase in currently positive cases is 4670.
    So almost 6000 new cases

The lock down is not working then
    The worrying numbers are from Lombardy and Veneto, rather than the general ones. You see, it took 10-12 days from the lockdown announcement in Hubei, to reported new cases falling because of the significant timelage between infection and reporting.

My assumption was that we'd see a similar trend in Italy, with overall numbers peaking today or tomorrow, and Lombardy/Veneto peaking Wednesday/Thursday (as those regions had the initial lockdown).

But the current numbers don't show this. It's not clear why this is the case, but here are three options:

1. Italian families are larger than Chinese ones, and therefore there will be significant continued familial infection after lockdown
    2. Italians are ignoring the lockdown
    3. Testing is ramping up, and earlier counts were an underestimate

Any - or all - of these could be a factor.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Barnesian said:

Today's data

USA now number three in total cases, although we have caught them up on deaths.
  • Options
    spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    at least one of these people outside the pub on sky news is off their head
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think it’s too early to say. Where Boris is lucky is that he is less than 4 months into a new parliament. There are 4 long years to go. With any luck this whole sorry episode will be over and we will have returned to some kind of normality.

Though I would recognise that crises like this are engines for change and it is certainly plausible that social and cultural change is going to be pretty swift. For one thing, now the country has demonstrated that we can all work from home, surely employers are going to have to build new systems around that. I suspect we will see more and more people working remotely, and more often.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Barnesian said:

Today's data

No new numbers for today I guess
  • Options
    From my daughter

As I couldn't book my next tesco shop til a week today (when I booked them all last week), we are now nearly out of food. But in a wonderful pull together from local businesses, we have spoken to the butchers who are delivering tomorrow and have messaged the veg shop who have sent a lovely reply to say they will get a delivery to us tomorrow too! So it's got to be local all the way!

Really things are going to change in a big way
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

That seems strange.

You originally said

"So if a company wants to keep a higher paid furloughed employee on the books, say earning £2600 a month, they will have to pay the full salary and the government won't help at all?"

That is not true. A furloughed employee earning £2,600 would receive nothing from the employer because they are furloughed, and £2,080 from the government.
    Ah right I see.

So there's no way of the employer topping up the wages for the furloughed employee to the full amount even if they wanted to. The company has to pay the whole amount themselves or the employee gets the government amount and no more.

That is what I found strange, I would have thought the government would have wanted the company to continue to pay something for these employees as well.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Today's data

USA now number three in total cases, although we have caught them up on deaths.
    I am not particularly enjoying our trajectory.
  • Options
    JM1 said:

I think it's more about the economy tbh. The virus is going to be bad but we can, with suitable lockdown, contain it. Certainly the data from Italy are not great but clearly lockdowns can work (cf China / Hong Kong/ Korea). We are, I think, doing a lot more work from home than Italy were at the equivalent stage of their epidemic so I keep my fingers crossed that we will get through relatively (it is all relative - it will still be bad) okay with respect to the number of deaths.

But the economic consequences of this lockdown will be dire. Hence, without the economic measures the country would be completely screwed when we come through this and move on.

I feel a bit (actually quite a lot) happier after the statement earlier that we will have a functional (very different - but not necessarily worse) country at the other side - which, as @SouthamObserver writes is critical.
    Covid 19 is going hell for leather to bring down global capitalism....if it was interested in killing people it would have taken a sideways move into Africa like Ebola...

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Surely the big problem is that, when the government says "okay, back to normal", it won't be that simple. Even if this was all over (economically) in 12 weeks, there is going to be a massive recession. Unemployment will go up, and house prices might actually go down.
  • Options
    I missed most of the press conference, that £1,000 increase for universal credit is that just for new claimants or is it for existing claimants as well?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,492
    I think people getting into the habit of having groceries delivered could turn into a long term trend.
  • Options
    whunterwhunter Posts: 60

GIN1138 said:

The genius of democracy. Truly we have dodged a bullet by not having Corbyn and Milne and co in charge of this national crisis.
    These people have no interest in actually achieving social democracy.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    rcs1000 said:

627 new deaths in Italy

689 new healed

So almost 6000 new cases

The worrying numbers are from Lombardy and Veneto, rather than the general ones. You see, it took 10-12 days from the lockdown announcement in Hubei, to reported new cases falling because of the significant timelage between infection and reporting.

My assumption was that we'd see a similar trend in Italy, with overall numbers peaking today or tomorrow, and Lombardy/Veneto peaking Wednesday/Thursday (as those regions had the initial lockdown).

But the current numbers don't show this. It's not clear why this is the case, but here are three options:

1. Italian families are larger than Chinese ones, and therefore there will be significant continued familial infection after lockdown

Or China lied.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    GIN1138 said:

Barnesian said:

Today's data

It might be timing of release of data for the last data point.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

That seems strange.

You originally said

Ah right I see.

So there's no way of the employer topping up the wages for the furloughed employee to the full amount even if they wanted to. The company has to pay the whole amount themselves or the employee gets the government amount and no more.

That is what I found strange, I would have thought the government would have wanted the company to continue to pay something for these employees as well.
    That's right. It's for furloughed employees only. The requirement to have the employers pay 20% may have bankrupted too many to make it worthwhile.
  • Options

From my daughter

As I couldn't book my next tesco shop til a week today (when I booked them all last week), we are now nearly out of food. But in a wonderful pull together from local businesses, we have spoken to the butchers who are delivering tomorrow and have messaged the veg shop who have sent a lovely reply to say they will get a delivery to us tomorrow too! So it's got to be local all the way!

What has been increasingly clear is that people have far more chance getting what they want in convenience stores. Which hopefully keeps the smaller businesses thriving which is good!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    On VAT, we always make reclaims. I hope he's not going to defer payment of those !
  • Options
    edited March 2020

GIN1138 said:

Truly that is partisan nonsense. Read the Conservative manifesto and realise Boris was going to shake the magic money tree even before the corona virus was a twinkle in a pangolin's eye. Boris won by being a better Corbyn than Jeremy Corbyn, and by opposing Cameron and May.
    Clearly the governments we prefer are either Labour governments implementing conservative policies or Conservative governments implementing socialist ones.
  • Options
    JM1 said:

MaxPB said:

Give it a rest.
    Actually, I think @SouthamObserver might be on to something here. This will change our country fundamentally. First, this experience will be formative - no-one under 70 has experienced anything like this before. Second, the role of the state in helping people get through it. Third, hopefully, as we get through this (which we will!) better community spirit. Financially it's going to be tough on the balance sheet, but the debt will be much better than a massive depression on the other side.
    I expect the country to change but I think it will be more socially and technically

More working remotely which will spread wealth to poorer regions

More firms looking at making supply chains shorter and more diverse

More firms tooling up so they can change what they manufacture more easily instead of just being a firm that makes widget x

Less foreign travel

Higher taxes but trimmed back non essential services
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

On VAT, we always make reclaims. I hope he's not going to defer payment of those !

Presumably it's the filing deadline. So if your return results in a net refund, then you can file, whereas if it results in a net payment you can delay.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

Clearly the governments we prefer are either Labour governments implementing conservative policies or Conservative governments implementing socialist ones.
    Something for everyone. Except the LDs... :p
  • Options
    I have got to say, fair play to the government with the announcement today. I know they’ll be pored over on here, and there are still questions for the self-employed, but we needed this today.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    rcs1000 said:

For #3, yep they're testing a lot more over the last 3 days (+17k, +17k, +24k). They only broke +10k nine days ago, and as recently as the 5th it was just +3k.
  • Options
    whunterwhunter Posts: 60

MaxPB said:

Give it a rest.

Give what a rest? The Chancellor has done exactly the right thing. I can only applaud him. And by doing the right thing now he has created the possibility of a better tomorrow. It's been a horrible 10 days personally and for the country, truly awful; now there is some hope.

Regrettably, I don't share your optimism at all. This is not a change in policy: it is an act of desperation to avoid economic and social collapse. It can only last for as long as the state is able to sustain it.
  • Options

From my daughter

What has been increasingly clear is that people have far more chance getting what they want in convenience stores. Which hopefully keeps the smaller businesses thriving which is good!
    Yes, this panic buying is getting really annoying now. You can’t even order toilet paper three weeks ahead with Waitrose.

I haven’t been panic buying. I have just very calmly been buying more of everything.
  • Options

From my daughter

My daughter just coined a phrase

'It's got to be local all the way'
  • Options
    spire2 said:

at least one of these people outside the pub on sky news is off their head

The ones in the pub were worse!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited March 2020
    GIN1138 said:

That could well be true. Alternatively, the Tories are demonstrating that when necessary they are prepared to spend as big as any Corbynite, in which case what is the point of the Labour Party? Flexibility and adaptability are clearly more desirable electoral characteristics than unchanging dogma.
  • Options
    JM1 said:

MaxPB said:

Give it a rest.
    Actually, I think @SouthamObserver might be on to something here. This will change our country fundamentally. First, this experience will be formative - no-one under 70 has experienced anything like this before. Second, the role of the state in helping people get through it. Third, hopefully, as we get through this (which we will!) better community spirit. Financially it's going to be tough on the balance sheet, but the debt will be much better than a massive depression on the other side.
    That is if excessive spending doesn't have any downsides, like massive currency depreciation and inflation.

I have to admit to being uncomfortable with this package, but I seem to be in a very small minority on here.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

From my daughter

Yes, this panic buying is getting really annoying now. You can’t even order toilet paper three weeks ahead with Waitrose.

I haven’t been panic buying. I have just very calmly been buying more of everything.
    I have been panic buying. The trick is to do it weeks before everyone else.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

GIN1138 said:

Barnesian said:

Today's data

It might be timing of release of data for the last data point.
    Or the last few days have been ‘catch up’, testing all the people they refused to test before, and now the curve is returning to the underlying growth rate?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Looking at the figures - every 3 days the rest of the world are having the same amount of deaths as China accumulated over the period of their outbreak.

That's if you believe the Chinese figures of course
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    edited March 2020
    @Pagan2

(couldn't work out the blockquotes)

Nice to see someone thinking. (I have quibbles, but this is a good post)
  • Options
    edited March 2020

JM1 said:

MaxPB said:

Give it a rest.
    That is if excessive spending doesn't have any downsides, like massive currency depreciation and inflation.

I have to admit to being uncomfortable with this package, but I seem to be in a very small minority on here.
    The only alternative is smaller debt and smaller GDP. Which ultimately leads to larger debt.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    The day the pubs re-open will be glorious.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

From my daughter

I have been panic buying. The trick is to do it weeks before everyone else.
    Like you I could see this coming and stocked up in advance

We have a reserve we do not touch and just buy enough now to see us through a week

Mind you loo rolls and soap we are eating into the reserve :-)
  • Options

Give Boris a break.

I appreciate there are people in Government trying to make the best of this crisis.

Johnson doesn't deserve a break, he is currently the weak link.
  • Options

The day the pubs re-open will be glorious.

Amen brother
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    edited March 2020

JM1 said:

MaxPB said:

Give it a rest.

I think you can at once have both sympathy for the position people and the government find themselves in, and concern about what this means for the future.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Give it a rest.

I expect the country to change but I think it will be more socially and technically

More working remotely which will spread wealth to poorer regions

More firms looking at making supply chains shorter and more diverse

More firms tooling up so they can change what they manufacture more easily instead of just being a firm that makes widget x

Less foreign travel

Higher taxes but trimmed back non essential services
    Nice to see someone thinking. (I have quibbles, but this is a good post)
    And peak London. Living outside the capital will seem so much more attractive.

Edit/ why is the new vanilla putting in all these extra close blockquotes?
  • Options

Give Boris a break.

I appreciate there are people in Government trying to make the best of this crisis.

Johnson doesn't deserve a break, he is currently the weak link.
    Other views are available
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited March 2020
    rcs1000 said:

627 new deaths in Italy

689 new healed

So almost 6000 new cases

Well the Chinese doctors seem to think #2 is a factor...
    https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1240889102804889600
    You can't do a half-hearted lockdown and expect it to as effective as the Chinese example.
This discussion has been closed.