Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As schools close down for an indefinite period it looks as tho

Comments

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Moscow... lots of public transport. They could be hammered.
    The virus is barely in Russia.
    But they have a spike of pneumonia cases - coincidence much?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Pulpstar said:

It probably isn't.

The peak is predicted to be at least 8 weeks away.

I will not disclose what that says to me about the death toll in the city where I live.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,041

IshmaelZ said:

Does it make me a terrible person to ask whether, given this is US data, there is any info on the weight and fitness of those younger people...?
    That is an utterly appalling thing to say, and I am disgusted at you. "given these are US data," please.
    I am so sorry. I shall voluntarily self isolate at ConservativeHome as penance.
    Please do not do that. We all misjudge things sometimes

Northwick Park Harrow declared critical incident due to surge in covid 19 cases

London looks very serious
    The terrifying thing is that you’d think London would be best served of anywhere in the U.K., given the number of hospitals with a national role.
    I'm sure I read a couple of days ago that London had better numbers of UCIs than regions. Christ.
  • GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    The White Walkers are aligning their forces in front of the Wall.

Not long to go now.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

This looks worrying. According to the BBC:

"...the number of confirmed cases across Africa has increased to around 850 - almost six times the number recorded just a week ago."

If confirmed, a six-fold increase in a week doesn't bode well for Africa.

Big populations. Dense living. Weak states. Poor health systems. Africa is not much discussed over here - is it ever? - but it is surely facing a calamity.
    I think they are going to be "testing" the iceberg / herd immunity theories....
    Young populations though. If you're old in a South African township your immune system is probably tough as old boots mind.
    I worry for indonesia. Not far behind us on the curve and I'm unsure of the quality of their health provision.
    JM1 said:

It will be sooner in London I think. All the evidence (and indeed the CMO) state it is ahead of the rest of the country (and potentially quite a lot ahead). Interestingly, Spain seem to think they can flatten the peak within a couple of weeks (not convinced, but let's see) so it may be that the social distancing, if enforced, has a massive effect (I think Italy enforced it very badly).

Ah OK, hope that is correct. The numbers hardly bear thinking about otherwise.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

I wonder if the rest of the world will have fewer deaths from pneumonia and influenza this year. Almost certain I’d say
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Andy_JS said:

First I find out Netflix and YouTube are restricting, now this...

Television channels are scrambling to commission new programmes suitable for a stay-at-home audience, with Channel 4 today announcing that it has commissioned Jamie Oliver to present a daily show providing tips for cooking simple recipes in a crisis.

The programme, entitled Keep Cooking and Carry On, will be broadcast every weekday next week at 5.30pm – with Oliver pledging to teach people “how to make the most from kitchen staples and how to be creative with whatever ingredients they’ve got at home”.

There are 692 episodes of Prisoner Cell Block H, each lasting 45 minutes. So no need to panic in terms of things to do over the next few weeks and months.
    Available where?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2020
    Iconic luxury store Harrods has announced it will be closing its doors amid the coronavirus crisis. The department store in Knightsbridge, London, said it will keep its food halls and pharmacy open to continue providing “essential services” - but the rest of the store will shut from 7pm this evening.

I thought all the poshos had escaped to their second homes in the Cotswold's and Cornwall?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    edited March 2020
    Horrible thing to say but I wouldn't like to have the virus in the most authoritarian countries in the world because they may decide to eliminate it in the most reliable way available.

Iconic luxury store Harrods has announced it will be closing its doors amid the coronavirus crisis. The department store in Knightsbridge, London, said it will keep its food halls and pharmacy open to continue providing “essential services” - but the rest of the store will shut from 7pm this evening.

I thought all the poshos had escaped to their second homes in the Cotswold's and Cornwall?

That’s why they’re closing!
    kinabalu said:

JM1 said:

It will be sooner in London I think. All the evidence (and indeed the CMO) state it is ahead of the rest of the country (and potentially quite a lot ahead). Interestingly, Spain seem to think they can flatten the peak within a couple of weeks (not convinced, but let's see) so it may be that the social distancing, if enforced, has a massive effect (I think Italy enforced it very badly).

Ah OK, hope that is correct. The numbers hardly bear thinking about otherwise.

Well the governments best case scenario appears to be keeping deaths below 20K
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

IshmaelZ said:

Does it make me a terrible person to ask whether, given this is US data, there is any info on the weight and fitness of those younger people...?
    That is an utterly appalling thing to say, and I am disgusted at you. "given these are US data," please.

The terrifying thing is that you’d think London would be best served of anywhere in the U.K., given the number of hospitals with a national role.
    Some years ago now my daughter was studying in London and ended up in A&E. We were down at the time. I was appalled. It was like something out of a third world country. Complete chaos, trollies everywhere, people taking drugs in the corridors, more police than there would be in the High Street on a Saturday night in Dundee. Casualty at Ninewells is vastly better.

That was a few years ago now, maybe 8 or 9, but I have never forgotten it. It was genuinely shocking.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

Andy_JS said:

Television channels are scrambling to commission new programmes suitable for a stay-at-home audience, with Channel 4 today announcing that it has commissioned Jamie Oliver to present a daily show providing tips for cooking simple recipes in a crisis.

The programme, entitled Keep Cooking and Carry On, will be broadcast every weekday next week at 5.30pm – with Oliver pledging to teach people “how to make the most from kitchen staples and how to be creative with whatever ingredients they’ve got at home”.

There are 692 episodes of Prisoner Cell Block H, each lasting 45 minutes. So no need to panic in terms of things to do over the next few weeks and months.
    Available where?
    The Seventh Circle of Hell.
  • FF43 said:

Floater said:

Boris Johnson is expected to announce the shut down of London today with bars, clubs, pubs, restaurants and cafes all ordered to close.

Shops considered ‘non-essential’ such as clothing stores are also likely to be forced to shut their doors in an attempt to curb coronavirus in the capital.

Well-placed sources said the Prime Minister would make the announcement at his afternoon press conference. London’s mayor Sadiq Khan is expected to make a separate statement.

It's high time for him to ditch the stiff-upper-lip-kabuki and get real. He needs to take a step forward.
    I don’t think Boris is doing that bad a job in the circumstances but what I would say is it does feel he’s being buffeted by events a little.

No school closures turns into school closures 24 hours later. No London lockdown (possibly) turns into London lockdown etc.

If these things are coming down the road in a days time, I don’t really see the reason why it hasn’t just been done. Not sure 24 hours makes a huge amount of difference.
    Boris Johnson is useless. We need someone who is serious and competent and who can exercise leadership. It's frustrating. We are stuck with him and so need him to do his best possible. It's a matter of life and death.
    I do not think that is fair.

Boris is acting on the advice and of course none of those first ministers and Khan have indicated that they do not agree with him

I do not think any politician available today would do any better, nor would they probably want the job

For now the public seem to be on his side in the main
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Andy_JS said:

I'm not much of a TV buff but I got around to watching Breaking Bad last year. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Another recommendation is the 6-part documentary The Jinx and the 5-parter OJ: Made in America. They are both great series'.
    Floater said:

I'm refraining from numbers but what I will say is that I calculate that to be a VERY good outcome.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    kinabalu said:

Floater said:

I'm refraining from numbers but what I will say is that I calculate that to be a VERY good outcome.
    Based on?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    rcs1000 said:

One of the joys of the US is that I was able to spend $19 and buy a jar with 225 500mg paracetamol in it.
    Yup, got two of those from Costco when I went recently.
  • FF43 said:

Floater said:

Boris Johnson is expected to announce the shut down of London today with bars, clubs, pubs, restaurants and cafes all ordered to close.

Shops considered ‘non-essential’ such as clothing stores are also likely to be forced to shut their doors in an attempt to curb coronavirus in the capital.

Well-placed sources said the Prime Minister would make the announcement at his afternoon press conference. London’s mayor Sadiq Khan is expected to make a separate statement.

It's high time for him to ditch the stiff-upper-lip-kabuki and get real. He needs to take a step forward.
    I don’t think Boris is doing that bad a job in the circumstances but what I would say is it does feel he’s being buffeted by events a little.

No school closures turns into school closures 24 hours later. No London lockdown (possibly) turns into London lockdown etc.

If these things are coming down the road in a days time, I don’t really see the reason why it hasn’t just been done. Not sure 24 hours makes a huge amount of difference.
    Boris Johnson is useless. We need someone who is serious and competent and who can exercise leadership. It's frustrating. We are stuck with him and so need him to do his best possible. It's a matter of life and death.
    I despair. Why are we now just thinking about shutting down the pubs in London? And that after what we've seen in Italy!

Andy_JS said:

Available where?
    You’re on a charge. Insubordination
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited March 2020
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Available where?
    You’re on a charge. Insubordination
    Guffaw.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

You aren't suggesting that Putin would....lie?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    edited March 2020
    Manchester airport to operate from a single terminal
    Manchester Airport to reduce services to one terminal.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

Based on?
    Any of the Imperial projections, for a start, where the deaths were measured in 10^5s.

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

You aren't suggesting that Putin would....lie?
    I wouldn't say that - I am allergic to radioactive substances
    RobD said:

Based on?

The numbers who will get it and its mortality rate.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Enjineeya, must agree.

The moment it happens the criticism will continue, though. Like when the media had a go due to job losses following the surprisingly large cut in fixed odds betting terminal stakes. Which everyone predicted, and the media portrayed as 'unforeseen consequences'.

Glad there's PB. Yes, there's some grumpiness sometimes, but far less bullshit than I get from TV news.
    JM1 said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

Based on?
    Any of the Imperial projections, for a start, where the deaths were measured in 10^5s.
    But that was with no mitigation at all... so not sure that's terribly realistic...
    Some of them had mitigation...
    So much for sex equality :-)

Dr Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus task force response coordinator, said data from Italy indicate the coronavirus fatality rate is twice as high for men across all age groups.
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Some years ago now my daughter was studying in London and ended up in A&E. We were down at the time. I was appalled. It was like something out of a third world country. Complete chaos, trollies everywhere, people taking drugs in the corridors, more police than there would be in the High Street on a Saturday night in Dundee. Casualty at Ninewells is vastly better.

That was a few years ago now, maybe 8 or 9, but I have never forgotten it. It was genuinely shocking.
    I’ve been to A&E precisely twice. On the second occasion I was parked on a trolley for a few minutes, having been blue lighted in. Like you, I saw Britain at its worst. Selfishness everywhere, as in the supermarkets at the minute.
    edited March 2020
    3 days in a row with the number holding steady at 33 seems like positive news in the circumstances since it isn't growing exponentially.
    Apparently we have people going about saying they won't change their habits and isolate because if you do that "you give in to it". To the virus.

I reckon there will be an almost perfect overlap between these people and that strand of Leavers who were well up for a Hard Brexit because "we stood alone in 1940 and we can do it again."

Sorry, but you know.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    What did she say?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. kinabalu, not so sure. Isn't London the biggest hotspot in the UK for the virus?

It's alarming that so many have that attitude, though.
  • Mr. Enjineeya, must agree.

The moment it happens the criticism will continue, though. Like when the media had a go due to job losses following the surprisingly large cut in fixed odds betting terminal stakes. Which everyone predicted, and the media portrayed as 'unforeseen consequences'.

Glad there's PB. Yes, there's some grumpiness sometimes, but far less bullshit than I get from TV news.

The only criticism from me, when the lockdown eventually happens, will be that it is far too late. Johnson should have ordered an immediate, full-scale, properly enforced (by the army if necessary) lockdown as soon as it became clear that the high-risk mitigation strategy wasn't going to work. I'm at a complete loss to understand why he didn't do that. We could, with a bit of luck, have been following the Japan path; instead we're following the US/Italy path.
    edited March 2020
    Floater said:

Dr Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus task force response coordinator, said data from Italy indicate the coronavirus fatality rate is twice as high for men across all age groups.

Men are usually more vulnerable to illness than women. That's true for male babies and children and elderly men AFAIK.
  • What did she say?
    She’s set up a CoronaLeaksUK account.

Mr. kinabalu, not so sure. Isn't London the biggest hotspot in the UK for the virus?

It's alarming that so many have that attitude, though.

We do have those types in London, I have to tell you.

Although not in Hampstead of course.

What did she say?
    That does not seem socially responsible.

What did she say?
    What an absolute c***.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,400
    rcs1000 said:

One of the joys of the US is that I was able to spend $19 and buy a jar with 225 500mg paracetamol in it.
    One of the Joy's of the US is that it is easier to top yourself?

I guess if the gun jams, swallow the pills.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

rcs1000 said:

Hang yourself with toilet paper?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

rcs1000 said:

Public service announcement, DO NOT attempt suicide with paracetemol. Horrible and long drawn out death.
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Public service announcement, DO NOT attempt suicide with paracetemol. Horrible and long drawn out death.
    Seconded. Though I will avoid the mistake my A-Level biology teacher made when he said that, when he went on to outline the most efficient ways to a class of 18 year olds.

rcs1000 said:

Its not just the suicidal who want more than just 16 200mg tablets in one go. Especially when the box says take 2 at a time up to 4 times a day - between 2 adults that's an entire box gone in one day. And that's if you don't get one of the boxes that comes with fewer than 16.

Our restrictions can be very irritating sometimes. Last winter my whole family was down with a lurgy, I went out on Boxing Day and picked up a few boxes. Calpol for my kids, some feminine painkillers for my wife and some Lemsip. Got told at the checkout no I couldn't get that as its more than 2 painkillers so computer says no.

I'm not trying to kill myself, its a family shop and forbid that I might want to get a week's or two weeks worth in one go for a family . . . its pathetic.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Seconded. Though I will avoid the mistake my A-Level biology teacher made when he said that, when he went on to outline the most efficient ways to a class of 18 year olds.
    As per the Dorothy Parker poem, it's not a bad way of convincing yourself that you might as well live.
    edited March 2020
    https://twitter.com/NHSMillion/status/1241020964294602753/video/1

When I was watching staff in China doing that I thought it was propaganda

I watch NHS staff doing it and I was moved
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    MaxPB said:

What did she say?
    What an absolute c***.
    It seems to have been deleted
  • ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    edited March 2020
    Floater said:

This is seen elsewhere, even in the study of children that took place, boys twice as much as girls. Has anyone seen any other attempts at explaining this (apart from the smoking in China idea, which may not be replicated in other countries)? Surely men are not twice as likely to die of illnesses they contract across the board.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

MaxPB said:

What did she say?
    What an absolute c***.
    https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/1241044078634192896
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

rcs1000 said:

Its not just the suicidal who want more than just 16 200mg tablets in one go. Especially when the box says take 2 at a time up to 4 times a day - between 2 adults that's an entire box gone in one day. And that's if you don't get one of the boxes that comes with fewer than 16.

Our restrictions can be very irritating sometimes. Last winter my whole family was down with a lurgy, I went out on Boxing Day and picked up a few boxes. Calpol for my kids, some feminine painkillers for my wife and some Lemsip. Got told at the checkout no I couldn't get that as its more than 2 painkillers so computer says no.

I'm not trying to kill myself, its a family shop and forbid that I might want to get a week's or two weeks worth in one go for a family . . . its pathetic.
    It's annoying, yes, but I wouldn't say it was pathetic. Knowing someone who took an overdose of paracetamol when suicidal I think there's good reason for it.

Yes, it's annoying for a large number of people, but it's life-saving for a small number of people. Balancing those two effects is not an easy thing.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

rcs1000 said:

It's annoying, yes, but I wouldn't say it was pathetic. Knowing someone who took an overdose of paracetamol when suicidal I think there's good reason for it.

Yes, it's annoying for a large number of people, but it's life-saving for a small number of people. Balancing those two effects is not an easy thing.
    In fact, that is a small version of the situation we now face.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    MaxPB said:

What did she say?
    What an absolute c***.
    The censorship that occured during the Second World War now makes a lot of sense to me. The amount of unsubstantiated BS and deliberate disinformation that is being spread is incredible.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Have the new Italian numbers been posted yet?
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

What did she say?
    What an absolute c***.
    https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/1241044078634192896
    She really is a joke - and people still quote her as a good source of info
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

eristdoof said:

Andy_JS said:

Germany: an extra 2,456 cases today and 4 deaths. Takes the totals to 17,776 and 48.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Fewer new cases than the previous two days - restrictions having an effect?
    Do you know that your "new cases" is for a 24 hour period, or might it have increased again by the end of today?
    Ah no, very good point - I don't know that. It's not really my new cases, rather Worldometer's.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

eristdoof said:

Andy_JS said:

Germany: an extra 2,456 cases today and 4 deaths. Takes the totals to 17,776 and 48.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Fewer new cases than the previous two days - restrictions having an effect?
    Do you know that your "new cases" is for a 24 hour period, or might it have increased again by the end of today?
    Ah no, very good point - I don't know that. It's not really my new cases, rather Worldometer's.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/
    That same website is now reporting 3474 new cases in Germany.
    Boris says no can do to the idea of a 12 month shutdown.
    rcs1000 said:

not as of yet

What did she say?
    Looks like she's deleted it. What an idiot. She's clearly lost it since the whole 2016 incident.
    RobD said:

What did she say?
    Looks like she's deleted it. What an idiot. She's clearly lost it since the whole 2016 incident.
    Brexit/Boris derangement syndrome. There's a couple of people on here who have it too (though not Alastair Meeks, I have to say).
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

rcs1000 said:

It is only the Over the Counter stuff that is max 32 tabs.

It is possible to buy much bigger boxes by asking the pharmacist, who will go over some warnings then sell you 96 or more at a time. Perhaps not at the moment though.

rcs1000 said:

Someone who wants to overdose can find a way to do so even with our restrictions and I've never heard of anyone overdosing by drinking a gallon of Calpol.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Pubs, restaurants, gyms, nightclubs, theatres, cinemas close tonight.

To be reviewed in a month.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    627 new deaths in Italy

689 new healed

Net increase in currently positive cases is 4670.
    So almost 6000 new cases
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    edited March 2020
    kinabalu said:

Apparently we have people going about saying they won't change their habits and isolate because if you do that "you give in to it". To the virus.

I reckon there will be an almost perfect overlap between these people and that strand of Leavers who were well up for a Hard Brexit because "we stood alone in 1940 and we can do it again."

Sorry, but you know.

No coincidence that the prize plonker of the day award goes to the chap from Witherspoons who single-handedly led the charge of businesses for Brexit.

I have really tried to keep off Brexit but when I saw him in the news today saying that closes the pubs was an overreaction I immediately brought all his Brexit pronouncements to mind.

I will take a vow of silence on Brexit for the next month now!

All, or just London?
    Rishi Sunak looks like an Asian Tessio from The Godfather
    RobD said:

All, or just London?
    All. takeout only
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,721
    rcs1000 said:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1241049144489324544
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    RobD said:

All, or just London?
    All I think

627 new deaths in Italy

689 new healed

So almost 6000 new cases

Is this the highest number of deaths in one day?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Urrrgh, horrific Italian numbers. Was a hope that over the last few days they'd topped out.
    Foxy said:

Ventilator project going well according to my spies, goes into production next week.

Excellent news.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

627 new deaths in Italy

689 new healed

So almost 6000 new cases

The lock down is not working then
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

All, or just London?
    All I think
    The PM told all restaurants, cafes, pubs, cinemas and theatres to close
    Andy_JS said:

627 new deaths in Italy

689 new healed

So almost 6000 new cases

Is this the highest number of deaths in one day?
    another large rise I'm afraid
    edited March 2020
    80% of wages in grants.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    Andy_JS said:

627 new deaths in Italy

689 new healed

So almost 6000 new cases

Is this the highest number of deaths in one day?</blockquote
    Yes it's about 50% higher
    Sunak promises grants of 80% of the salaries of retained workers to companies facing difficulties
    £2,500 p.m. for furloughed workers.

wow.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Unlimited funds.

Wow.

Just wow.
    RobD said:

80% of wages in grants.

I heard it was up to £2,500 a month, but might be wrong.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

Has parliament passed a law to enforce this?
    shit figures from Italy
    He's showering us with money again. :p
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    edited March 2020
    How are the Italian figures still going up so rapidly despite lockdown? Is it just really badly policed or what?
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    Grants for wages!

Yes! They've got a grip. The HYUFDs in Cabinet have been stopped.

That looks pretty good to me. Nice work.
    Business loans interest free for 12 months from Monday
    Wow, what about self employed people?
This discussion has been closed.