Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now you can spread bet on Johnson’s daily coronavirus briefing

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Does anyone know what "London Lockdown" is likely to really mean. Is it likely for instance to prohibit drivers from entering and/or leaving the Capital? ... That really would be draconian and ultra-depressing.

Such things do ultimately require consent. 100,000 met coppers can’t control 7m Londoners otherwise. I’m guessing compulsory closure of pubs etc, and maybe control of main stations? Basically reduce the reasons to leave the house and make it an arse to leave London.
    With the army in support of course they can, in France and Belgium police now checking valid reasons for being outside eg exercise, to buy food and with permits required for key workers
    Be extremely careful when considering putting the army on the streets in those circumstances. Their training is completely different from that of the police*. I hope we can all agree they would not have firearms, but it’s still putting an infantryman in an impossible position. Also it’s a numbers game - it can LOOK like the police and army are controlling the streets. But it only works with public consent (assuming no one is arguing we arm them and start shooting).

*Thats why they only fill in for static guarding roles for the police usually, to free up the Met.
    We are facing the biggest national emergency since the second world war, if the army have to support the police to maintain order and lockdown if required then so be it.

The police should be left yo do it initially but if some still will not comply the army as a lsst resort must be added too
    yes everyone should stay at home and starve while waiting for eviction after the crisis like good little boys and girls
    Your policies are going to throw so many on the dole your systems are going to fail and they will be left with no money. For the first time ever since I left college I know more unemployed people than I do employed. I dont think you realise the scale of what is going on. Ok only anecdote but if 6 of my 10 friends have been laid off this week and that is repeated amongst paye.....you have huge problems
    Hence why Universal Credit is being easier to get immediately without having to go into the JobCentre or wait for it.
    ah yes the joy of universal credit where suddenly your home is too big or costs more than the number for your area.....have you ever applied for it? I unfortunately have had due to my age two periods of unemployement in the last 10 years

first one I got sanctioned for not looking for work just after they signed off my four interview claim forms for expenses for the last week because apparently I didn't use the right app for job searching

Then 2 years ago when I applied then got a letter stating that I have been declined because I didnt turn up for the initial interview which apparently they tried to text me the date of but the text didnt go so they gave up. I checked the phone number they had the correct one.

That dwp system yes?
    Yes I recently had to unfortunately and I had to book the initial interview by calling up and getting a date and time and confirming I would attend that - no texting involved. Oh and the initial interview has been scrapped due to COVID19. So yes that system.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,380

rcs1000 said:

Re the health service, shouldn't people have a choice:

35% top rate income tax, but you're on your own after 70. Or 40% and we'll look after you for life.

Lots of people will choose to save, which will dramatically lower the burden on the NHS.

It's an idea. But would fail in practice because our 35%ers would get bailed out.
    That and the fact it’s a stupid, callous idea. A man at 21 feels he will live forever. By the time he’s 60 his naive 21-year-old self has jeopardised his third age.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Does anyone know what "London Lockdown" is likely to really mean. Is it likely for instance to prohibit drivers from entering and/or leaving the Capital? ... That really would be draconian and ultra-depressing.

Such things do ultimately require consent. 100,000 met coppers can’t control 7m Londoners otherwise. I’m guessing compulsory closure of pubs etc, and maybe control of main stations? Basically reduce the reasons to leave the house and make it an arse to leave London.
    With the army in support of course they can, in France and Belgium police now checking valid reasons for being outside eg exercise, to buy food and with permits required for key workers
    Be extremely careful when considering putting the army on the streets in those circumstances. Their training is completely different from that of the police*. I hope we can all agree they would not have firearms, but it’s still putting an infantryman in an impossible position. Also it’s a numbers game - it can LOOK like the police and army are controlling the streets. But it only works with public consent (assuming no one is arguing we arm them and start shooting).

*Thats why they only fill in for static guarding roles for the police usually, to free up the Met.
    We are facing the biggest national emergency since the second world war, if the army have to support the police to maintain order and lockdown if required then so be it.

The police should be left yo do it initially but if some still will not comply the army as a lsst resort must be added too
    yes everyone should stay at home and starve while waiting for eviction after the crisis like good little boys and girls
    Your policies are going to throw so many on the dole your systems are going to fail and they will be left with no money. For the first time ever since I left college I know more unemployed people than I do employed. I dont think you realise the scale of what is going on. Ok only anecdote but if 6 of my 10 friends have been laid off this week and that is repeated amongst paye.....you have huge problems
    Hence why Universal Credit is being easier to get immediately without having to go into the JobCentre or wait for it.
    ah yes the joy of universal credit where suddenly your home is too big or costs more than the number for your area.....have you ever applied for it? I unfortunately have had due to my age two periods of unemployement in the last 10 years

first one I got sanctioned for not looking for work just after they signed off my four interview claim forms for expenses for the last week because apparently I didn't use the right app for job searching

Then 2 years ago when I applied then got a letter stating that I have been declined because I didnt turn up for the initial interview which apparently they tried to text me the date of but the text didnt go so they gave up. I checked the phone number they had the correct one.

That dwp system yes?
    You might also add for @Philip_Thompson's education that you don't get UC immediately, you get it 5 weeks after applying.
    No you don't, that wait has been scrapped. You can get an immediate advance now.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Nigelb said:

I just had an email from a US restaurant advertising their “immune boosting bone broth” for home delivery.

Is that NYUFD ..... ?
    NY FUD surely ;)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,703
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You can do that in about four lines in Python, and it'd be a whole bunch more readable.

Well, discounting the setup of the string arrays, it was 5 lines of PHP....
    I notice you're not claiming the PHP was more readable...

I did in C, but messed up the garbage collection, and now it's taking 12gb of system memory.
    C is the language of the gods..... in the beginning was the word and it was void*
    One of my cousins invented the null reference... he's not proud of it...
    Prof Tony is your cousin?

He was Head of our Dept at Queens.

BTW - How is your dad? Holding up OK?
    Aye - although we are quite clannish (I think he is my 5th cousin from memory).

Dad's stable and in good hands. Only patient on his ward... 3 nurses looking after him. My Mum says no wonder his blood pressure has gone up...
    Good to hear that Charles and that he's on a ward and not somewhere more serious
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,919
    edited March 2020

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?
    Yes I recently had to unfortunately and I had to book the initial interview by calling up and getting a date and time and confirming I would attend that - no texting involved. Oh and the initial interview has been scrapped due to COVID19. So yes that system.
    well mine was before covid in 2018 and I attended the job centre in person and filled in all the forms and they told me I would be contacted and let know the date. First contact was 10 days later by text saying my claim had been cancelled as they couldnt text me

perhaps you can understand me being a little dubious
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,011
    I didn't know Tony Hoare had been knighted.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?
    You might also add for @Philip_Thompson's education that you don't get UC immediately, you get it 5 weeks after applying.
    I thought they had said they were waiving that?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

OllyT said:

3 things.
    1. I think the Government and BJ are getting much better I would go as far as to say the PM was very good today.
    2 Why is our death rate still so high compared to others at 4%? Germany incredibly low but even compared to France the USA and many others we are very high I dont really know why.

3 We seem to think 20000 deaths is a good outcome. That is 6 times more than China and our population is far smaller. Expectation management or grim reality?

I wouldn't use China as a benchmark in this at all.

i) You really can't believe their numbers

ii) They used measures that I think Western Liberal countries will not undertake.
    I am very sceptical about the number of cases being reported in China,.

Being the cause of this outbreak has been a major blow to their international presitge and I believe the figures are being massaged to save face and tell the world how brilliant they have been at sorting it out.

Did any other country try to conceal the virus in the first place and silence doctors and journalists that reported it?
    Even if the numbers are being massaged, if it was drastically worse it would have gotten out. You can't hide mass deaths for long. Look at Iran where they are also clearly not telling the true story with their figures, but we can see clear evidence of it, photos of mass graves, releasing prisoners etc.

Also look at many of the east asian countries, they do seem to be getting a handle on it at this stage. Yes, there is the question of what next, but they are buying themselves valuable time. The West as a whole failed to act quickly enough. Each country watched the one before it succumb and yet didn't act until too late. Italy bungled it's intial response. France and Spain watch and don't take any action. France only implemented strong measures on Thursday, yet Italy has been in crisis for ages. The UK has seen what's happened in France and in Italy and still only just taking strong measures now.
    So do we reckon Londoners will get any notice before they are locked in?
    Yes, unfortunately just enough time for Londoners to flee to the countryside, just like parisians did here. But without notice that risks panic. They announced it here starting from midday the next day. Ironically the supermarket queues were massive in the morning but by the afternoon it was business as usual.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You can do that in about four lines in Python, and it'd be a whole bunch more readable.

I did in C, but messed up the garbage collection, and now it's taking 12gb of system memory.
    C is the language of the gods..... in the beginning was the word and it was void*

Dad's stable and in good hands. Only patient on his ward... 3 nurses looking after him. My Mum says no wonder his blood pressure has gone up...
    Good to hear that Charles and that he's on a ward and not somewhere more serious
    HDU ward, so one down from ICU - all the kit but fewer nursues.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,563

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The police should be left to do it initially but if some still will not comply the army as a last resort must be added too
    I get that you won’t listen to a random poster on the internet, but go and speak to ex-military you know (especially those who served in NI). It might prove necessary but it takes VERY careful consideration. And it can easily go wrong quickly.
    HYUFD threatens the army at the Scots and now Londoners but he has no thought as to the likely outcome. Antagonising people more than is necessary is not the way forward
    If a lockdown has to be enforced, it has to be enforced, merely asking people to do so will not have worked if you have got that far
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,355

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?
    I do this regularly on behalf of clients at Citizens Advice and quite often (especially when busy) the phone agents are not able to give a date for the initial interview there and then but instead text or email it.

That the initial interview has been scrapped is good (though JobCentres wouldn't have been able to keep up with likely demand anyway) but claimants still have to wait 5 weeks for their first payment.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,563
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The police should be left to do it initially but if some still will not comply the army as a last resort must be added too
    I get that you won’t listen to a random poster on the internet, but go and speak to ex-military you know (especially those who served in NI). It might prove necessary but it takes VERY careful consideration. And it can easily go wrong quickly.
    HYUFD threatens the army at the Scots and now Londoners but he has no thought as to the likely outcome. Antagonising people more than is necessary is not the way forward
    and then wonders why some don't vote tory
    The Tories have a majority of 80, they do not need everyone to vote Tory
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,703
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HDU ward, so one down from ICU - all the kit but fewer nursues.
    Ah well sounds like he's in (several pairs of) good hands.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449
    On the subject of retro computing, has Zarch on the Archimedes ever been beaten?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Great news :+1:
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?
    I think they are making advances easier to get but they still need to be repaid
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?
    well mine was before covid in 2018 and I attended the job centre in person and filled in all the forms and they told me I would be contacted and let know the date. First contact was 10 days later by text saying my claim had been cancelled as they couldnt text me

Mine was more recent and I attended in person and was told everything was complete on that day and told about the option to get an immediate advance which I claimed that day and was automatically confirmed as accepted and was in the account that same week. The advance was 6 weeks worth of payments, to be repaid via deductions from UC (or via taxes) over a 12 month period, so on week 5 a second payment on top of the advance came.

Now the interview has been scrapped because of COVID so any new applicants can immediately get the advance and still get a payment on week 5 too.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,684
    Spread of SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus likely to be constrained by climate
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.12.20034728v1
    ... Should the spread of SARS CoV-2 continue to follow current trends, a worst-case scenario of synchronous global pandemic is improbable. More probable is the emergence of asynchronous seasonal global outbreaks much like other respiratory diseases. People in temperate warm and cold climates are more vulnerable. Those in arid climates follow next in vulnerability, while the disease will likely marginally affect the tropics. Our projections minimize uncertainties related with spread of SARS CoV-2, providing critical information for anticipating the adequate social, economic and political responses...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of retro computing, has Zarch on the Archimedes ever been beaten?

I never saw an Archimedes, but I accidentally trod on an Acorn Atom once. Its owner said that was an upgrade :D:D
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?
    Not to my knowledge - I'd be very happy to be wrong on that point.

Frankly, I think the delay is both morally indefensible and counter-productive - we need that money circulating in the economy asap.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Newsnight: possible closure of Underground.

No Government minister prepared to appear. Oh FFS, grow up Tories.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,053
    edited March 2020
    alterego said:

tyson said:

As a catastophiser...my views are this could possibly bring down the governance of world capitalism....

I think we (UK) are especially vulnerable outside a mainstream currency....but this is about picking up the crumbs.....

And, quite possibly, the likes of Cummings and Johnson are sitting around tables, drinking a glass of red wine, and listening to the likes of me telling them that...

You're delusional.
    I'm not saying will...I'm saying could....

How many sub prime mortgages were there that led to the banking crisis? The UK took a 6% hit on GDP...and the insiders in 2008 said that the global system sat on a precipice....remember Gordo saying that he saved the world with his bailout....

So, now we have a shut down of the real economy...a possible one off hit of 20% on GDP- but instead of sub prime we are talking about an illness that terrifies people which is whacking the stock markets far worse than 2008....and we are taking measures that could make it worse...

When people stop paying bills, credit cards, mortgages, going to shops... people aren't working.....the banks come down like a line of dominos....

Airlines bailed out....public transport bailed out....printing money...like today for QE and whatever else....

I think you (sadly) are probably the one who is delusional my friend....
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?

Mine was more recent and I attended in person and was told everything was complete on that day and told about the option to get an immediate advance which I claimed that day and was automatically confirmed as accepted and was in the account that same week. The advance was 6 weeks worth of payments, to be repaid via deductions from UC (or via taxes) over a 12 month period, so on week 5 a second payment on top of the advance came.

Now the interview has been scrapped because of COVID so any new applicants can immediately get the advance and still get a payment on week 5 too.
    well glad they are doing something at least but the advance still needs repaying yes? I am sure part of my issue was being unfamiliar with the way the system works as my total unemployment since 1987 is about 6 months
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,251

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?

Frankly, I think the delay is both morally indefensible and counter-productive - we need that money circulating in the economy asap.
    I've never understood what the UC delay is meant to achieve.

Benefits should be paid as soon as they are processed.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?
    I do this regularly on behalf of clients at Citizens Advice and quite often (especially when busy) the phone agents are not able to give a date for the initial interview there and then but instead text or email it.

That the initial interview has been scrapped is good (though JobCentres wouldn't have been able to keep up with likely demand anyway) but claimants still have to wait 5 weeks for their first payment.
    If you help with Citizens Advice how come you aren't advising people they can get an immediate advance not not have to wait 5 weeks?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    edited March 2020
    ignore my mistake
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?

If you help with Citizens Advice how come you aren't advising people they can get an immediate advance not not have to wait 5 weeks?
    because the advance gets taken off a bit at the time and can often leave people unable to meet their needs I would guess
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?

well glad they are doing something at least but the advance still needs repaying yes? I am sure part of my issue was being unfamiliar with the way the system works as my total unemployment since 1987 is about 6 months
    Yes the advance needs repaying, but why shouldn't it? But you're in a better position getting a week one payment repaid over 12 months than getting regular payments from week one only. You're now basically getting paid ahead of schedule for 12 months (if you need to be on UC that long, or via taxes if not) which is an improvement and has axed the 5 week wait.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449
    This thread has perspired
  • Options

JMP $NEW_THREAD
  • Options

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?

Putting aside the whole question of whether the five week thing was a good idea or not. The Resolution think tank has said stop thinking about changing for this crisis: the IT cannot be changed in time to deal with the issue.

Concentrate on other ways of handing out cash.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,965
    Christ. Just seen footage on Sky News of fucking idiots having a St Patrick's Day piss up.

Bozo - you have to shut places down. There are just too many arseholes in this country.
  • Options

Just checked on the system - Tony's my 4th cousin twice removed, not my 5th cousin.

Sorry for misleading folks...
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?

Take the advance and a single claimant is then trying to live on £291 per month after the repayment deduction.

It would be a very simple, inexpensive, and humane matter to make that first month's payment after say one week. Indeed it would save the admin overhead of advances.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,313

glw said:

Foxy said:

OllyT said:

3 things.
    1. I think the Government and BJ are getting much better I would go as far as to say the PM was very good today.
    2 Why is our death rate still so high compared to others at 4%? Germany incredibly low but even compared to France the USA and many others we are very high I dont really know why.

3 We seem to think 20000 deaths is a good outcome. That is 6 times more than China and our population is far smaller. Expectation management or grim reality?

I wouldn't use China as a benchmark in this at all.

i) You really can't believe their numbers

ii) They used measures that I think Western Liberal countries will not undertake.
    I am very sceptical about the number of cases being reported in China,.

Being the cause of this outbreak has been a major blow to their international presitge and I believe the figures are being massaged to save face and tell the world how brilliant they have been at sorting it out.

Did any other country try to conceal the virus in the first place and silence doctors and journalists that reported it?
    The World Health Organisation seem to believe them. They had one fresh case declared today.
    But it is clear no other western government does.
    I cannot reconcile the UK, and other countries, belief in an iceberg of asymptomatic cases with what has happened in China. It took about 2 months from the first case to the start of serious action by the Chinese government. Did they really do such a great job of contact tracing that they suppressed the outbreak to basically nothing so quickly? China is a vast country with a huge population, with a lot of movement around their New Year, and yet there was apparently nothing like the spread in China that has been seen outside of China.

I'm not claiming any particular insight, or alleging anything underhand, but I do find the difference between inside and outside China very puzzling.
    It appears now to go back to start of November (at least). That is when documents leaked government documents now state the first identified case.

So 3 months of totally unrestricted transmission in a densely packed city of 11 million people.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3074991/coronavirus-chinas-first-confirmed-covid-19-case-traced-back
    First case November 17. I wonder if there was say an Italian, an Iranian, even an American connection as early as say late November? Asymptomatic students?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?

Putting aside the whole question of whether the five week thing was a good idea or not. The Resolution think tank has said stop thinking about changing for this crisis: the IT cannot be changed in time to deal with the issue.

Concentrate on other ways of handing out cash.
    Oh yeah? How come they can pay advances straightaway then?

Honestly, that sounds like bureaucratic bollocks to me.
  • Options
    Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of quarantine.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,038
    Charles said:

Just checked on the system - Tony's my 4th cousin twice removed, not my 5th cousin.

Sorry for misleading folks...

So you are two generations apart.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?

We do but also have to point out that it means they'll be trying to live off 83% of not very much for the next year.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That dwp system yes?

Yes the advance needs repaying, but why shouldn't it? But you're in a better position getting a week one payment repaid over 12 months than getting regular payments from week one only. You're now basically getting paid ahead of schedule for 12 months (if you need to be on UC that long, or via taxes if not) which is an improvement and has axed the 5 week wait.
    well I cant answer for universal credit as when I came under it I never managed to make a claim because they cancelled it then I was back in work a week later. However when I did claim JSA it was like this

My rent was 850 a modest two up two down house so had a bedroom for my son.
    He didnt live with me so only got 650 HB

On top of that I got 72£ a week jsa for a total of 284 a month so total was

650+284 = 934

I had to pay 850 rent out of that 30 electric, 30 gas , 20 internet 10 mobile phone
    for a total of 940 leaving me -6 for for food for the month and getting to interviews....before you say it yes my house was bigger than my strict needs but been there 15 years and in work for 15 years when the firm went bust so I got no payout and left with them owing me wages. You cant just move immediately.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,894
    rcs1000 said:

6502 vs Z80

Fight!

This discussion has been closed.