Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now you can spread bet on Johnson’s daily coronavirus briefing

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,561
    eristdoof said:

Angela Merkel giving a national address at the moment.

Has she spent 20 minutes blaming VVVChina?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,951
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

On renters saying they will be protected from no fault evictions is spectacularly missing the point. They want protection from eviction for not paying the rent because they have lost their job due to govt shutting down the economy.

The Government has just put £300 billion into the economy so people don't have to lose their jobs
    No they have guaranteed loans to that amount so business owners dont lose their business. People are still being laid off
    That money should be used to cover costs including wage bills and nothing more so companies can keep most employees on
  • Options

@HYUFD - it applied to all. Things are getting a bit too heated in here.

Thanks
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,273

Andrew said:

The maths is impossible for Sanders now, but he'll hang on until the bitter end and waste everyone's time I imagine.

Not to mention get lots of people infected by going to the polls.
    Even the Labour Party can manage postal voting, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man for the Dems to make arrangements.
    Ummm...
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/08/lisa-nandy-demands-answers-missing-labour-leadership-ballots
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,452
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

On renters saying they will be protected from no fault evictions is spectacularly missing the point. They want protection from eviction for not paying the rent because they have lost their job due to govt shutting down the economy.

So as suspected not much for the underlings
    I think it will come, the pressure will be inevitable but a complete lack of comprehension of life renting within the cabinet of multi millionaires shows they dont get it.
    They have got non eviction for non payment of rent, what more do they want?
    and who the hell is going to be taxed to pay for the rich people being bailed out again.....you and people like you are exactly why I refuse to vote tory
    Are rich people getting bailed out?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,281

eristdoof said:

Hard to say. She's talking in foreign.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,088
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

The Government has just put £300 billion into the economy so people don't have to lose their jobs
    No they have guaranteed loans to that amount so business owners dont lose their business. People are still being laid off
    That money should be used to cover costs including wage bills and nothing more so companies can keep most employees on
    Why is a cafe that has no customers going to pay its staff when the owner can just lay them off and pocket the money....it protects the cafe owner not the minumum wage staff
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    The harsh reality of the situation is really starting to bite with some people...

https://twitter.com/matchu_chutrain/status/1239239223674146824
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,190
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Why is a cafe that has no customers going to pay its staff when the owner can just lay them off and pocket the money....it protects the cafe owner not the minumum wage staff
    I would be surprised if this money was no strings attached. Surely there will be a condition that you can't fire staff. The whole point of the scheme is to cover those fixed costs.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,685
    edited March 2020
    tlg86 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

I think it will come, the pressure will be inevitable but a complete lack of comprehension of life renting within the cabinet of multi millionaires shows they dont get it.
    and who the hell is going to be taxed to pay for the rich people being bailed out again.....you and people like you are exactly why I refuse to vote tory
    This depends how onerous the conditions for the loans are, and how far they're tied to keeping workers on.

I will also be concerned if we don't hear more about employment support and incomes policy fairly soon-ish.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,826
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

The Dow about to have sniff of 19000 and the FTSE of life below 5000

And Sterling approaches parity with this bog-roll I keep reading about.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

This bailout will help low income workers as much as rich workers keep their jobs and the banks bailout was done by a Labour government
  • Options
    edited March 2020

eristdoof said:

Hard to say. She's talking in foreign.
    Just watching the video. My German isn't great, but she appears to be mentioning the war :-)
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

I would be surprised if this money was no strings attached. Surely there will be a condition that you can't fire staff. The whole point of the scheme is to cover those fixed costs.
    So can we build on the question of what we could do with this pool of labour that would be positive to society.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,297
    tlg86 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

The govt are giving guarantees to banks for home owners mortgage payments. They are not offering the equivalent to renters.

Given home owners are on average richer than renters it shouldnt be controversial that the support is more targeted at the rich.

Similarly, little has been done for those in the gig economy or sole traders beyond offering a pitiful amount of SSP or benefits for those needing to isolate.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

So can we build on the question of what we could do with this pool of labour that would be positive to society.
    Get them out delivering food to those who need it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

home owners are, business owners are....people with nothing but a minimum wage job not so much
  • Options

Will you be blaming the “feckless poor” for losing their jobs @HYUFD ? The government has after all “promised” 300b so that shouldn’t happen right?

Spoiler: people have already lost their jobs

No and as you say the vast bailout is to help most of those on low wages keep their jobs
  • Options
    It’s worth thinking of OGH who’s income stream from internet betting referrals has dried up, he should not be to reluctant to ask for help to keep the site going.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,392

Will you be blaming the “feckless poor” for losing their jobs @HYUFD ? The government has after all “promised” 300b so that shouldn’t happen right?

Went to a small registry office wedding today as I'd been asked to do the reading months ago. One of the 3 other guests grumbled about how exaggerated the virus was and how people were over-reacting - "They're even asking for rent freezes! I believe in middle-class values, why can't people put money aside for the unexpected. What about helping the landlords?" I said that many people were actually in debt and could barely make ends meet, so putting money aside wasn't practical for them. He reiterated trenchantly, "I don't hold with that, as I said I believe in middle-class values."

I'm a peaceful chap and didn't want to spoil the wedding, but moved to the other side of the room. It was spooky to meet a stereotype in real life - I didn't think people like that actually existed outside the world of Trotskyist leaflets.

Back to isolation!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

It’s worth thinking of OGH who’s income stream from internet betting referrals has dried up, he should not be to reluctant to ask for help to keep the site going.

Yeah, there used to be a paypal button. Happy to chip in a few bob.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

As that money if the business goes under will last them for a few months at most, keeping the business going will provide an income indefinitely once cafes can be visited again
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:
    Hmm, it's that a tacit endorsement of halting Brexi for now?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Is there still a Donate button? I haven't seen it recently.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,796

DougSeal said:

eristdoof said:

Foss said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

Well, they'll be done eventually.
    When? After the kids have started their A-Levels? And A-Levels after they have started their degree courses? Award the certificates based on work to date and thus the predicted grade and move on. As a recruiting manager I don't really care what someone got in lower stages of education - GSCEs and A-Levsl are stepping stones.
    I suggested earlier just reset the school year through the system so they all start again in September, crash building program for new year -1 and additional teachers. To include universities as well
    Crash building for capacity? When I was a boy we just used portakabins.
    In my school too. They were bloody awful.
    Before we moved to Canterbury I went to a primary school in the suburbs of Reading and the portakabins used there were nicknamed "terrapins". I have no idea why.
    Same here, a secondary school the badlands of Bucks. My understanding is that Terrapin was the supplier of prefabs.
    I had long suspected that but you are the first person who has supplied any outside verification!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,974
    edited March 2020

eristdoof said:

Didn't Mention China once. In fact I don't think she mentioned any other country! She did mention the war though!

One thing she did do was to especially thank (supermarket) cashiers, whose work is seldom recognised in this crisis.

I think that is great: a friend of mine with COPD works in a Supermarket, including as a cashier. If she gets the virus she could get very ill indeed.
  • Options

Went to a small registry office wedding today as I'd been asked to do the reading months ago. One of the 3 other guests grumbled about how exaggerated the virus was and how people were over-reacting - "They're even asking for rent freezes! I believe in middle-class values, why can't people put money aside for the unexpected. What about helping the landlords?" I said that many people were actually in debt and could barely make ends meet, so putting money aside wasn't practical for them. He reiterated trenchantly, "I don't hold with that, as I said I believe in middle-class values."

I'm a peaceful chap and didn't want to spoil the wedding, but moved to the other side of the room. It was spooky to meet a stereotype in real life - I didn't think people like that actually existed outside the world of Trotskyist leaflets.

Back to isolation!
    I was brought up to believe that once in work, you should always try to have three months wages available in case of a rainy day.

When you talk about people being in debt, I guess you don't mean having a mortgage, do you?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,138
    tlg86 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Branson is asking for one I think
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

And if he gets one, I'll be leading the riot!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,297

Back to isolation!
    I doubt he understands that QE, housing benefit and govt props have supported landlords to the tune of hundreds of billions whilst the rest of the country went through austerity. Not many people do.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,796

DougSeal said:

eristdoof said:

Foss said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

When? After the kids have started their A-Levels? And A-Levels after they have started their degree courses? Award the certificates based on work to date and thus the predicted grade and move on. As a recruiting manager I don't really care what someone got in lower stages of education - GSCEs and A-Levsl are stepping stones.
    I suggested earlier just reset the school year through the system so they all start again in September, crash building program for new year -1 and additional teachers. To include universities as well
    Before we moved to Canterbury I went to a primary school in the suburbs of Reading and the portakabins used there were nicknamed "terrapins". I have no idea why.
    Same here, a secondary school the badlands of Bucks. My understanding is that Terrapin was the supplier of prefabs.
    A particular type of immediately post-war design, often used in schools.

Yeah, had them in my Reading-based schools up until the 1990s.
    Thank you. This has been a mystery much of my life.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,475
    Day 2 in the Big Bother Isolation House, and already it's getting a bit tasty.....
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Didn't Mention China once. In fact I don't think she mentioned any other country! She did mention the war though!

One thing she did do was to especially thank (supermarket) cashiers, whose work is seldom recognised in this crisis.

I think that is great: a friend of mine with COPD works in a Supermarket, including as a cashier. If she gets the virus she could get very ill indeed.
    Just watching now...she gave the old "hamsters" a bashing. Are the German's also losing their mind over toilet rolls?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,114
    edited March 2020

tlg86 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

The govt are giving guarantees to banks for home owners mortgage payments. They are not offering the equivalent to renters.

Given home owners are on average richer than renters it shouldnt be controversial that the support is more targeted at the rich.

Similarly, little has been done for those in the gig economy or sole traders beyond offering a pitiful amount of SSP or benefits for those needing to isolate.
    A UBI of £1000/month to every adult that earnt less than £50k last year needs to happen. I personally will default on my rent in 2 months now that I cannot work over April. That being said, I have no concerns about being evicted. The police will be too busy to respond to landlords reporting tenants stopping themselves from being evicted.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

As that money if the business goes under will last them for a few months at most, keeping the business going will provide an income indefinitely once cafes can be visited again
    Yes the business owner gets to keep their business the staff get shafted and thrown on the dole,,,,,you are a sick individual with brazen balls to have the nerve to come and claim it does anything to help the poorest workers. Get your head out from between your buttocks you apologist for scum
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

eristdoof said:

Foss said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

I had long suspected that but you are the first person who has supplied any outside verification!
    We didn't have terrapins. But we had several teachers who tortus.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,392

Anyway, I'm off. Do play nicely, everyone.

Optimists are always welcome!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

"Bring out the Branson!"
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited March 2020
    I have heard Currys have a shortage of freezers and laptops.
    Presumably for working from home.
    Do not know how true this is.
  • Options

Back to isolation!
    I doubt he understands that QE, housing benefit and govt props have supported landlords to the tune of hundreds of billions whilst the rest of the country went through austerity. Not many people do.
    I'm 33. In my 11 years of work, all I've known is ultra low interest rates. I'd love nothing more than to see house prices collapse (although I'd probably be out of work in such circumstances). Unfortunately, all the political parties are signed up to keeping house prices high, even if they won't admit it.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

tlg86 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

A UBI of £1000/month to every adult that earnt less than £50k last year needs to happen. I personally will default on my rent in 2 months now that I cannot work over April. That being said, I have no concerns about being evicted. The police will be too busy to respond to landlords reporting tenants stopping themselves from being evicted.
    It will be illegal to be evicted for non payment of rent anyway
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,990
    I'm not sure I am on board with the 'whatever it takes' slogan. If we all have to self immolate using cheap petrol as the ultimate Corona attack plan, I am not up for it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

Equally posted without comment, we should not just have one rule for Richard while leftwing PBers get off with abuse
    IanB2, left wing? You should get out a bit more,.... once the Corona-Crisis is over of course :-)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,182
    tlg86 said:

Back to isolation!
    I'm 33. In my 11 years of work, all I've known is ultra low interest rates. I'd love nothing more than to see house prices collapse (although I'd probably be out of work in such circumstances). Unfortunately, all the political parties are signed up to keeping house prices high, even if they won't admit it.
    All I have to show for my 6 years of work prior to my attempted career change is the tiny amount of equity I have in my house. If house prices collapse I’m screwed.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    HYUFD said:

No and as you say the vast bailout is to help most of those on low wages keep their jobs
    The Vast bailout,

1) Is to give the would the impression that the government is doing something and keep the government popular.
    2) to keep money flowing to the varies speshall interest groups that the government (or all partys) normally fevers anyway.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

My wife phoned our asda this evening to pass on our appreciation to their staff for the work they're doing while getting regular abuse from some customers.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Also no breadmakers, and weirdly a lack of hoovers when I was in today - perhaps people are expecting to be doing a lot of housework under lockdown.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes the business owner gets to keep their business the staff get shafted and thrown on the dole,,,,,you are a sick individual with brazen balls to have the nerve to come and claim it does anything to help the poorest workers. Get your head out from between your buttocks you apologist for scum
    No, if the business goes under it goes under, if it stays a going concern through the crisis it can continue again after with the workers still in place.

You are a fanatical leftwinger who would oppose anything this government would do and someone who I would suggest the moderators also ask to watch their language
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

Equally posted without comment, we should not just have one rule for Richard while leftwing PBers get off with abuse
    IanB2, left wing? You should get out a bit more,.... once the Corona-Crisis is over of course :-)
    Of course he is leftwing and increasingly rude with it
  • Options

Day 2 in the Big Bother Isolation House, and already it's getting a bit tasty.....

Just don't call me tetchy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

No, if the business goes under it goes under, if it stays a going concern through the crisis it can continue again after with the workers still in place.

You are a fanatical leftwinger who would oppose anything this government would do and someone who I woild suggest the moderators also ask to watch their language
    I am not a left winger at all, I am on the libertarian scale . A lot of small business owners though are being bailed out and just using the money to mothball their business for the duration. I oppose that it is socialism for the haves in society while the poor get told tough....we wont let them do no fault evictions from what I hear is all that has been offered
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2020
    Yorkcity said:

Am-a-twars. People should have got their extra freezer for Brexit.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Back to isolation!
    All I have to show for my 6 years of work prior to my attempted career change is the tiny amount of equity I have in my house. If house prices collapse I’m screwed.
    And therein lies the problem. They can never be allowed to fall because those who had just got on the ladder will be thoroughly pissed off.
  • Options

I'm not sure I am on board with the 'whatever it takes' slogan. If we all have to self immolate using cheap petrol as the ultimate Corona attack plan, I am not up for it.

"Beating Boris around the head with an inflated puffer fish...."

"Whatever it takes...."
  • Options
    BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

The Vast bailout,

1) Is to give the would the impression that the government is doing something and keep the government popular.
    2) to keep money flowing to the varies speshall interest groups that the government (or all partys) normally fevers anyway.
    It is going to every business large or small which needs them yo keep them and the economy going
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

I know many people who are much more to the left. Nick_Palmer is one clear example on PB. You are viewing it from the right.

It does not excuse the insults though.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,182
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Back to isolation!
    And therein lies the problem. They can never be allowed to fall because those who had just got on the ladder will be thoroughly pissed off.
    I’d be entirely happy with an extended period of stagnation. I have no desires or expectation of making any capital gains.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

As I posted earlier I don't care about party politics at the moment. There is a couple of posters at either extreme who are frankly amusing rather than annoying. Lets take a breath and a step back:

1. This is the biggest crisis this country has faced since the war. Its more complicated than the war because the enemy is a virus carried amongst us. That makes for mega pressure
    2. The government on the whole are doing a good job. The situation is evolving at huge speed and as a consequence very big things are having to be reduced to simple concepts and rolled out quickly
    3. This by definition will leave people initially confused and angry about what has been announced and what hasn't. You could swap out this government for any previous one of your fancy and the issues would be the same.
    4. Some of the partisanship makes those saying it look like utter fools. On one hand Labour activists banging on about "private sector profiteering" with beds provided at cost cheaper than the NHS can do. On the other we have the likes of HYUFD as a PB Comical Ali insisting that everything is being run to perfection in fine detail and that no Consternation and Uproar exists.
    5. Whatever is announced will not be sufficient in a situation like this. I literally roared at the car radio when Sunak announced £330bn. Not because that makes everything alright - there are so many holes in the announced plan as to make it worthless right now (no matter what Comical HYUFD says). But the intent is clear - whatever it takes, as much money as it takes.
    6. So people need to take a breath and think. This going to get worse - a lot worse - before it eventually gets better. I assume that schools shut for the summer means GCSE and A-Level students graduate based on predicted grades because thats my and most teachers definitions of fair. My eldest is involved so I am Concerned for him. But I am not screaming epithets at Williamson for not having worked out every detail. Nor am I insisting the plan is resplendent in its brilliance with all considerations taken care of.

Final point. Would anyone here want to be PM right now? Or a senior minister? Or a senior adviser or civil servant? So many have ranty/daft opinions on their performance but secretly are quite happy to not be the one making the decisions.

They are in the chair when the music stopped , just as Labour were in 2007/08.
    I would not anticipate any thanks from the public.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Also no breadmakers, and weirdly a lack of hoovers when I was in today - perhaps people are expecting to be doing a lot of housework under lockdown.
    I've not seen a breadmaker in a long time, actually. Which is a shame, as I would like to replace mine.

I think they've just gone out of fashion.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

I know many people who are much more to the left. Nick_Palmer is one clear example on PB. You are viewing it from the right.

Does he vote Tory? No, he is a leftwinger whatever version of it you use and agree the insults are inexcusable
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Back to isolation!
    The simmple ans best way to 'recover the econamy' after this is all over would be to allow house building on a large scall by radicaly reforming the planing rules:

a) increasing supply would radically reduce pries and rents.
    b) it would quickly create a lot of jobs
    c) the result would be more and better houses which last a long time.
    d) no need to increase spending, borrowing or taxes

but will not happen, as the decrees in house prises would make home owners feel poor and home owners are mostly old and they vote.
  • Options

"Whatever it takes...."
    In the full knowledge I will regret asking...

What is a puffer fish?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

He wouldn't know a left winger he accused me of being one and I am someone who considers Johnson dangerously left wing. HYUFD though its not about left or right its tory party wrong or right
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,114
    Apparently the 475 deaths excludes data from Parma and Campania. Parma has reported 34 new deaths, so Italy becomes the first nation to officially pass 500 deaths in a day.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

You are a fanatical leftwinger who would oppose anything this government would do and someone who I woild suggest the moderators also ask to watch their language
    I am not a left winger at all, I am on the libertarian scale . A lot of small business owners though are being bailed out and just using the money to mothball their business for the duration. I oppose that it is socialism for the haves in society while the poor get told tough....we wont let them do no fault evictions from what I hear is all that has been offered
    No you are a leftwinger and the idea you are a libertarian is laughable.
    If you were a libertarian you would back no bailouts at all, no statutory sick pay and no non contributory welfare state. You would also oppose a ban on evictions for non payment of rent.
    Most small business owners are not rich either
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

Does he vote Tory? No, he is a leftwinger whatever version of it you use and agree the insults are inexcusable
    Get over yourself not voting Tory doesnt make you a left winger I don't vote tory because they are a party of the big state and authoritarian before all this kicked off
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Apparently the 475 deaths excludes data from Parma and Campania. Parma has reported 34 new deaths, so Italy becomes the first nation to officially pass 500 deaths in a day.

Given that Italy is probably about the average temperature we can expect come the summer, that doesn't bode terribly well.

I'm starting to think I was unfair to Eadric. (I'll never hear the last of it if he sees this comment...)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,058
    I am re-posting something...it's too creative just to get buried in a busy thread.....

Anything now is on the cards if Covid 19 carries on it's path of devastation ....that microbe is one hell of a plucky motherfucker...it's tough enough finding a home in a bat, never mind jumping into a pangolin...and living...and then remarkably jumping into a human's gob- and managing to get into the human's lungs still intact..and then thriving....and the more it thrives the more it knows...like the little fucker knew how to get into Bergamo from Wuhan. Who would've thought that? It fucking sussed out the Ryanair cheap flying slots to spread quickly around the world. Crazy but true.

And now the malicious twat has set it's sights full throttle on bringing down the global economy, of fucking up the financial system and bringing the whole thing down like a stack of dominoes.....the bastard isn't bothering with the fragile countries of Africa like it's distant cousin, Mr Ebola....small fry....no... Covid 19 is much more cunning..... this little shit is aiming for the jugular of global capitalism at a full speed of knots.... and I cannot see anything stopping it. Can you?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,595
    Yorkcity said:

That's entirely believable. Work From Home type of kit does appear to be selling out, and delivery times growing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

"Whatever it takes...."

What is a puffer fish?
    Its a fish that inflates itself with air to ward of predators often covered in spines and contains a toxin associated with haitian zombie practise tetrodotoxin I believe
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,124

As I posted earlier I don't care about party politics at the moment. There is a couple of posters at either extreme who are frankly amusing rather than annoying. Lets take a breath and a step back:

1. This is the biggest crisis this country has faced since the war. Its more complicated than the war because the enemy is a virus carried amongst us. That makes for mega pressure
    2. The government on the whole are doing a good job. The situation is evolving at huge speed and as a consequence very big things are having to be reduced to simple concepts and rolled out quickly
    3. This by definition will leave people initially confused and angry about what has been announced and what hasn't. You could swap out this government for any previous one of your fancy and the issues would be the same.
    4. Some of the partisanship makes those saying it look like utter fools. On one hand Labour activists banging on about "private sector profiteering" with beds provided at cost cheaper than the NHS can do. On the other we have the likes of HYUFD as a PB Comical Ali insisting that everything is being run to perfection in fine detail and that no Consternation and Uproar exists.
    5. Whatever is announced will not be sufficient in a situation like this. I literally roared at the car radio when Sunak announced £330bn. Not because that makes everything alright - there are so many holes in the announced plan as to make it worthless right now (no matter what Comical HYUFD says). But the intent is clear - whatever it takes, as much money as it takes.
    6. So people need to take a breath and think. This going to get worse - a lot worse - before it eventually gets better. I assume that schools shut for the summer means GCSE and A-Level students graduate based on predicted grades because thats my and most teachers definitions of fair. My eldest is involved so I am Concerned for him. But I am not screaming epithets at Williamson for not having worked out every detail. Nor am I insisting the plan is resplendent in its brilliance with all considerations taken care of.

Final point. Would anyone here want to be PM right now? Or a senior minister? Or a senior adviser or civil servant? So many have ranty/daft opinions on their performance but secretly are quite happy to not be the one making the decisions.

Yep - I agree with this. I'd also add that it is the job of the oppositon to point out the holes in order to make sure they are filled. You are absolutely right that £330 billion is only the start, especially as much of it seems to be loans-based. Businesses facing ruin are not going to load up on extra debt, however good the terms being offered. The only way through is money that will be paid back by us all in future years via higher taxes and through additional, long-term borrowing. There is no way round that. This is a crisis of supply and demand. We cannot austerity our way out of it.

• Options

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Just watching now...she gave the old "hamsters" a bashing. Are the German's also losing their mind over toilet rolls?
    Some certainly are. I saw out of my window yesterday 2 women chatting on the street corner standing on the ground next to them was 5 packs of toilet roll each pack with 10 rolls in them.

The supermarkets seem to be good at getting more onto the shelves the next morning though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

So not voting Tory makes you a left winger? Well it’s a view but there are many natural tories for many reasons wont vote Tory at the moment, are they left wing? And there is a center ground which by all sane analysis is neither left or right. You would be more correct to say that those not voting Tory are to the left of you (possibly) but may not be left wing.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Excellent post. People really should calm down and appreciate that there are no quick and easy answers to any of this stuff.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Is Comrade Trump going to push for Modern Monetary Theory now he's happy with glorious Socialist interventions on a daily basis?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,837
    ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Given that Italy is probably about the average temperature we can expect come the summer, that doesn't bode terribly well.

I'm starting to think I was unfair to Eadric. (I'll never hear the last of it if he sees this comment...)
    There is no sign whatsoever that we are heading for two million deaths, or anything near.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

You are a fanatical leftwinger who would oppose anything this government would do and someone who I would suggest the moderators also ask to watch their language
    BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

The Vast bailout,

2): Business owners, insurance co.s and landlords, from what I can see. They'll be bailed out. At worst, poor individuals will be told to claim Universal Credit.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

"Whatever it takes...."

What is a puffer fish?
    Its a fish that inflates itself with air to ward of predators often covered in spines and contains a toxin associated with haitian zombie practise tetrodotoxin I believe
    It is also a delicacy in Japan. Because of its toxicity you need training and a licence to prepare it in a restaurant there.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,257
    glw said:

Yorkcity said:

That's entirely believable. Work From Home type of kit does appear to be selling out, and delivery times growing.
    Laptop shortage confirmed by an extended family member who runs a small firm and who wants staff to work at home (some dont have a PC or laptop).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,837
    BigRich said:

tlg86 said:

Back to isolation!
    The simmple ans best way to 'recover the econamy' after this is all over would be to allow house building on a large scall by radicaly reforming the planing rules:

a) increasing supply would radically reduce pries and rents.
    b) it would quickly create a lot of jobs
    c) the result would be more and better houses which last a long time.
    d) no need to increase spending, borrowing or taxes

but will not happen, as the decrees in house prises would make home owners feel poor and home owners are mostly old and they vote.
    The planning rules aren’t really the problem, though. Housing developers are sitting on tons of land and tons of unimplemented permissions. It is almost as if they have an interest in houses being expensive.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

So not voting Tory makes you a left winger? Well it’s a view but there are many natural tories for many reasons wont vote Tory at the moment, are they left wing? And there is a center ground which by all sane analysis is neither left or right. You would be more correct to say that those not voting Tory are to the left of you (possibly) but may not be left wing.
    Under FPTP in the UK if you do not vote Tory it can generally be said you are left of centre, especially when as now we have a Tory majority Government in the country as a whole
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

"Whatever it takes...."

What is a puffer fish?
    Yup, I was right.

I regretted asking...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

tlg86 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Just to be clear, those guarantees are to protect the *banks* not the home owners
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,990
    tyson said:

I am re-posting something...it's too creative just to get buried in a busy thread.....

Anything now is on the cards if Covid 19 carries on it's path of devastation ....that microbe is one hell of a plucky motherfucker...it's tough enough finding a home in a bat, never mind jumping into a pangolin...and living...and then remarkably jumping into a human's gob- and managing to get into the human's lungs still intact..and then thriving....and the more it thrives the more it knows...like the little fucker knew how to get into Bergamo from Wuhan. Who would've thought that? It fucking sussed out the Ryanair cheap flying slots to spread quickly around the world. Crazy but true.

And now the malicious twat has set it's sights full throttle on bringing down the global economy, of fucking up the financial system and bringing the whole thing down like a stack of dominoes.....the bastard isn't bothering with the fragile countries of Africa like it's distant cousin, Mr Ebola....small fry....no... Covid 19 is much more cunning..... this little shit is aiming for the jugular of global capitalism at a full speed of knots.... and I cannot see anything stopping it. Can you?

The human immune system is stopping it every day, in tens of thousands. Medicine just needs to help us tip the balance more in the favour of the immune system and away from Corona. The most obvious way it can do this is by reducing the life-threatening symptoms to give the immune system time to work.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,257
    Alice Cooper to be No. 1 next week?
  • Options

Yep - I agree with this. I'd also add that it is the job of the oppositon to point out the holes in order to make sure they are filled. You are absolutely right that £330 billion is only the start, especially as much of it seems to be loans-based. Businesses facing ruin are not going to load up on extra debt, however good the terms being offered. The only way through is money that will be paid back by us all in future years via higher taxes and through additional, long-term borrowing. There is no way round that. This is a crisis of supply and demand. We cannot austerity our way out of it.

Yes we can and yes we should.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Any class action lawsuits being raised against the Chinese for disruption and loss of earnings ?

• Options
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

"Whatever it takes...."

What is a puffer fish?
    I'm not sure what good it would do to prevent economic decline and eye-watering job losses, but I do feel it would add to the gaiety of the nation....
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

Under FPTP in the UK if you do not vote Tory it can generally be said you are left of centre, especially when as now we have a Tory majority Government in the country as a whole
    I'd agree, except Labour got taken over by the Golgafrincham B-Ark, who I just want to class as "a mess."
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,895

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

"Bring out the Branson!"
    He seems to be in a bit of a pickle.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

Not at all I am right of the tory party and mostly voted tory till they put that idiot cameron and lurched left fiscally and authoritarian nanny state socially. Now I would rather not vote at all than vote for what I now think of as a centre left party.

Don't be fooled that people are left wing due to them recognising we are in extraordinary times and we almost need to be on a wartime footing the only time a big state is warranted. Stop being a mouthpiece for tory policy and think for yourself because that is all you come across with a tory cheerleader no matter what they do
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

I don't think it has been got above 20o C and still cold at night.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

There is no sign whatsoever that we are heading for two million deaths, or anything near.
    Well, possibly not. But it's already heading past five figures (assuming China and Iran are not telling the truth about the number of deaths) and it shows no sign of slowing. It's left SARS and AIDS trailing and is fast catching up with swineflu. But the efforts to contain it are likely to prove just as lethal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

"Whatever it takes...."

What is a puffer fish?
    Yup, I was right.

I regretted asking...
    Never ask on pb.com, unless you already know the answer....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

"Bring out the Branson!"
    He seems to be in a bit of a pickle.
    I must condiment you on that pun....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

Having now introduced the word ‘center’ I’m afraid your talking rubbish as to some the Tory party is a long way from center. But I can’t be srsed with this it’s irrelevant.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

I don't think it has been got above 20o C and still cold at night.
    Like I said, about the average temperature we can expect come the summer :smile:
This discussion has been closed.