Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UK total up 47 to 163

123457»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

isam said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

To change the mood a little... what would be your Desert island (or home quarantine) discs?

8 songs, a book and a film

Me and Bobby McGee: Janis Joplin
    Will You?: Hazel O'Connor
    Smooth Operator: Sade
    Ring of Fire: Johnny Cash
    Back to Black: Amy Whitehouse
    Throw Down the Sword: Wishbone Ash
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun: Pink Floyd
    100 years From Now: The Byrds

The Brothers Karamazov: Dostoevsky

Groundhog Day

Though I would give a different answer most days.
    Music is a great trigger of memories, so the songs are more significant at promoting these than the best or greatest.
    My mum used to do the washing up listening to Sade’s Diamond Life album. Interesting track to choose from Floyd. I used to love the early stuff but now prefer The Wall
    Diamond Life is one of those rare perfect albums with no dud tracks.

I love early Floyd and highly recommend Nick Masons "Saucer Full of Secrets" band, touring at the moment. They don't play anything after Atom Heart Mother.
    Summer '68 from Atom Heart Mother always makes me slightly choke, and I don't quite know why
    Having a listen now... the only one I remember from that album is Fat old Sun

Sounds like a Rick Wright number

Am I a bit weird for actually liking Alan's Psychadelic Breakfast?
    I never really got into that album, quite liked Obscured by Clouds, which was one of their weakest really. I was quite obsessed w Piper at the gates of Dawn as a teenager, but nowadays I really like Pigs on the Wing!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,745
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

To change the mood a little... what would be your Desert island (or home quarantine) discs?

Groundhog Day

Music is a great trigger of memories, so the songs are more significant at promoting these than the best or greatest.
    Wow- I would put D..."Crime and Punishment" as my book.....but definitely Groundhog Day......

For simplicity...for 8 or so tracks... I would take Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division....or
    The Stone Roses (first album)....

Depending on my mood
    Crime and Punishment gets going rather more quickly than the Brothers, and would be on my shortlist.

The Stone Roses is another on my list of perfect albums without a dud track.
    I love the redemption in Crime and Punishment.....

Groundhog Day is...what can you say......
    The really weird bit about Crime and Punishment is how progressive Czarist Russia was in its treatment of Raskolinikov. In Dickensian England he would be swinging in the breeze at Tyburn.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

tyson said:

isam said:

Never mind spotify, I have an iPod. So I don’t need to choose just eight songs.

The book I’d choose is Fernand Braudel’s Structures Of Everyday Life.

The film? Rear Window.
    Rear Window just makes me anxious...right from the start to the end....it still amazes me now watching it how a mortal human being could have made such a brilliant film..it reaches into the depth of your mind and fucks with it for 2 hours or so....

Sadly I wouldn't want it anywhere near me on a Desert Island....

The brilliance of Rear Window is how the hero and heroine would be utterly unlikeable if they weren’t James Stewart and Grace Kelly. He’s a creep and she’s a snob. But it’s James Stewart and Grace Kelly so they’re adorable.
    I was re-watching Badlands the other day...the pairing of Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek- that's why I love movies so much.....sometimes the sum of the individual parts just excels..

But you are right...the casting of Rear Window..sublime
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    John Bercow on the Last Leg says he would most like to self isolate with Gordon Brown and least like to self isolate with David Cameron
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Classical music

1. Messiah
    2. Hadyn’s Creation
    3. Shostakovich Waltz No 2
    4. Elgar’s Salut d’Amour as played by Aldo Ciccolino
    5. Mozart’s Requiem
    6. Puccini’s Tosca
    7. Marriage of Figaro
    8. Louis Alvanis playing Brahms Hungarian Dances for piano. The last track on that - Themes and Variations in D minor - is a masterpiece.

Non classical music

Book: Vanity Fair

Film: Cinema Paradiso / The Leopard / Some Like it Hot
    Vanity Fair, another good choice enjoyable to re-read.

I am too much of a peasant though for all that classical music...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TGOHF666 said:

Off topic: the answer to the previous threadheader question appears to be 24 hours.

Looks like the resot of the country is not as obsessed with corvid-19 as we PBers are.

PB.com is a hive of bedwetters.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/06/coronavirus-poses-serious-threat-public-health-since-spanish/

Coronavirus poses the most serious threat to public health since Spanish flu a century ago, the man leading the fight to find a vaccine said last night after a second death was confirmed in Britain.

Dr Richard Hatchett said the new virus was "the most frightening disease I’ve ever encountered in my career".

Dr Hatchett, who heads up the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), a body set up by governments and industry to combat global health crises, told Channel 4 News said the disease was more frightening than Ebola, which although it has a far higher mortality rate did not "have the potential to explode and spread globally".

Look at the source of that. I haven't cherrypicked it. I haven't seen any credible expert saying anything which contradicts it. Have you?

Had you considered the very remote possibility that you might be making a bit of a dick of yourself?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    IshmaelZ said:

TGOHF666 said:

Off topic: the answer to the previous threadheader question appears to be 24 hours.

Looks like the resot of the country is not as obsessed with corvid-19 as we PBers are.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/06/coronavirus-poses-serious-threat-public-health-since-spanish/

Coronavirus poses the most serious threat to public health since Spanish flu a century ago, the man leading the fight to find a vaccine said last night after a second death was confirmed in Britain.

Dr Richard Hatchett said the new virus was "the most frightening disease I’ve ever encountered in my career".

Dr Hatchett, who heads up the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), a body set up by governments and industry to combat global health crises, told Channel 4 News said the disease was more frightening than Ebola, which although it has a far higher mortality rate did not "have the potential to explode and spread globally".

Look at the source of that. I haven't cherrypicked it. I haven't seen any credible expert saying anything which contradicts it. Have you?

Had you considered the very remote possibility that you might be making a bit of a dick of yourself?
    There are other experts who don't think it is as serious as this.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Groundhog Day

Wow- I would put D..."Crime and Punishment" as my book.....but definitely Groundhog Day......

For simplicity...for 8 or so tracks... I would take Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division....or
    The Stone Roses (first album)....

Depending on my mood
    Crime and Punishment gets going rather more quickly than the Brothers, and would be on my shortlist.

The Stone Roses is another on my list of perfect albums without a dud track.
    I love the redemption in Crime and Punishment.....

Groundhog Day is...what can you say......
    The really weird bit about Crime and Punishment is how progressive Czarist Russia was in its treatment of Raskolinikov. In Dickensian England he would be swinging in the breeze at Tyburn.
    You are right...

Dostoevsky was put through a false execution by the Tsar...everything was orchestrated..notably a firing squad.....I think that experience obviously profoundly changed his life and made him into some who transcended....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    tyson said:

tyson said:

isam said:

The film? Rear Window.
    Rear Window just makes me anxious...right from the start to the end....it still amazes me now watching it how a mortal human being could have made such a brilliant film..it reaches into the depth of your mind and fucks with it for 2 hours or so....

The brilliance of Rear Window is how the hero and heroine would be utterly unlikeable if they weren’t James Stewart and Grace Kelly. He’s a creep and she’s a snob. But it’s James Stewart and Grace Kelly so they’re adorable.
    I was re-watching Badlands the other day...the pairing of Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek- that's why I love movies so much.....sometimes the sum of the individual parts just excels..

I find Grace Kelly a rather wooden actress. Rear Window is just creepy.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    HYUFD said:

John Bercow on the Last Leg says he would most like to self isolate with Gordon Brown and least like to self isolate with David Cameron

I think I would self isolate with Stephanie Flanders, (now on Newsnight).

:-)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

isam said:

The film? Rear Window.

I'll defer to your knowledge of movies Cycle.....I remember a thread some years ago with Roger...and you shamed the both of us with your forensic knowledge of Italian cinema....
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

TGOHF666 said:

There are other experts who don't think it is as serious as this.
    Link.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

HYUFD said:

Bercow also backed Bernie Sanders to be the next US President.

Easy to forget he was once a Conservative MP, he is now firmly on the left
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I still do - The Cranberries
    The only living boy in New York - Simon & Garfunkel
    When you’re Young - The Jam
    Speak Like A Child - The Style Council
    Sunflower - Paul Weller
    Beautiful Boy - John Lennon
    Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
    Constant Craving - KD Lang

There’s Something About Mary
    The Count of Monte Cristo

The book and film are certainties, the songs are almost impossible. Three of those are definites, you could perm any five from about fifty others
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TGOHF666 said:

For those who caught it though Ebola was clearly more serious and with a higher death rate than coronavirus has
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    stjohn said:

HYUFD said:

Really? Haven't seen her for a while, but thought she looked like she was on five bottles of gin a day.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

HYUFD said:

The same Stephanie Flanders who had a fling with Ed Milliband
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Classical music

1. Messiah
    2. Hadyn’s Creation
    5. Mozart’s Requiem
    6. Puccini’s Tosca
    7. Marriage of Figaro
    8. Louis Alvanis playing Brahms Hungarian Dances for piano. The last track on that - Themes and Variations in D minor - is a masterpiece.

Non classical music

Middlemarch and Anna Karenina would also be on my books list as would The Complete Short Stories of William Trevor.

Other music:

- Tom Waits
    - Pink Floyd
    - The Jam
    - The Smiths
    - Don Giovanni
    - La Traviata
    - Verdi’s Requiem
    - Oscar Peterson
    - Cesaria Evoria
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    This desert island thing - why do so many people want to take a book they've already read? Are you all expecting there to be a charity shop on the island where it can be donated?

I have an unread copy of War and Peace. That ought to keep me occupied for a while.

I won't give a full music listing, but of course Maggie Maggie Maggie by The Larks has to be there.

Film - perhaps something with a plot featuring a Stepmom and Stepdaughter?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

TGOHF666 said:

For those who caught it though Ebola was clearly more serious and with a higher death rate than coronavirus has
    A slightly deadly disease that almost everyone catches is much more serious than a very deadly disease hardly anyone gets.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

TGOHF666 said:

I think the 5% of Italians dying of this disease....and almost a half of those infected (approx 1500 or so) might not think so.....

My view from the outset is that this is the Spanish flu of our times....but...the impact will depend on how the countries respond to it....
  • Options
    tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

isam said:

The film? Rear Window.

I'll defer to your knowledge of movies Cycle.....I remember a thread some years ago with Roger...and you shamed the both of us with your forensic knowledge of Italian cinema....
    Ah yes - I remember that thread. Francesco Rosi’s Three Brothers and Illustrious Corpses are unmissable.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

TGOHF666 said:

Of course it was. But thankfully not too many got it. Huge numbers of people are likely to get coronavirus. And many, many more will die of coronavirus than of Ebola.
  • Options

stjohn said:

HYUFD said:

Oh! I didn't know.
  • Options

This desert island thing - why do so many people want to take a book they've already read? Are you all expecting there to be a charity shop on the island where it can be donated?

I have an unread copy of War and Peace. That ought to keep me occupied for a while.

I won't give a full music listing, but of course Maggie Maggie Maggie by The Larks has to be there.

Some books are worth rereading: Pride and Prejudice for instance or Jane Eyre.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

Sunflower - Paul Weller

The book and film are certainties, the songs are almost impossible. Three of those are definites, you could perm any five from about fifty others

Brave choosing a slapstick comedy, but a good brave choice.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Jane Eyre?!? I read that 3 times at school for English Lit O Level - got an E.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

stjohn said:

HYUFD said:

Oh! I didn't know.
    And EdBalls too!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

isam said:

The film? Rear Window.

Ah yes - I remember that thread. Francesco Rosi’s Three Brothers and Illustrious Corpses are unmissable.
    There you go again Cycle....re-traumatising and rubbing it in again.....good night...

I'm off to catch up on the 6 music festival with a glass of red....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Also I’d like a book of complete English Poetry, please, the complete George Orwell, a piano so that I could really learn - preferably with accompanying piano teacher - and a spade and trowel for gardening. Then I’d be pretty happy self-isolating myself for years on end.

In fact that’s sort of what I’m close to doing up here.
  • Options

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

HYUFD said:

Oh! I didn't know.
    And EdBalls too!
    Really ?!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Classical music

1. Messiah
    2. Hadyn’s Creation
    5. Mozart’s Requiem
    6. Puccini’s Tosca
    7. Marriage of Figaro

Non classical music

Middlemarch and Anna Karenina would also be on my books list as would The Complete Short Stories of William Trevor.

Other music:

- Tom Waits
    - Pink Floyd
    - The Jam
    - The Smiths
    - Don Giovanni
    - La Traviata
    - Verdi’s Requiem
    - Oscar Peterson
    - Cesaria Evoria
    Yes, The Jam need to be in there.

My choice would be The Bitterist Pill, but plenty of good alternatives.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    isam said:

Sunflower - Paul Weller

Top choices - I haven't listened to I still do for years. Such a classic. Thanks for the memory.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

isam said:

The film? Rear Window.

There you go again Cycle....re-traumatising and rubbing it in again.....good night...

I'm off to catch up on the 6 music festival with a glass of red....
    I was trying to be helpful..... Rosi’s Carmen is also wonderful.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

isam said:

Sunflower - Paul Weller

It makes me cry with laughter every time I watch it, which must be over fifty by now. The end scene, when you see how much of an overwhelming thing it is for Ted to get with Mary, actually makes me well up, and also contains a great garden path gag. (I assume you don’t think Le Comte was the slapstick!)
  • Options
    stjohn said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

HYUFD said:

Oh! I didn't know.
    And EdBalls too!
    Really ?!
    Yes
  • Options

isam said:

Sunflower - Paul Weller

I have seen Borat a dozen times but it always has me in stitches. It may well be the funniest film ever.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ah, I see we are still predicting Trump's pivot to the centre.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

isam said:

Sunflower - Paul Weller

Top choices - I haven't listened to I still do for years. Such a classic. Thanks for the memory.
    I listen to it every night to help me get to sleep, on so quietly I can barely hear it! So I’d have to have it on a desert island
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

isam said:

Sunflower - Paul Weller

It makes me cry with laughter every time I watch it, which must be over fifty by now. The end scene, when you see how much of an overwhelming thing it is for Ted to get with Mary, actually makes me well up, and also contains a great garden path gag. (I assume you don’t think Le Comte was the slapstick!)
    The scene at the beginning brings back childhood memories. Not good ones.
  • Options

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

HYUFD said:

Oh! I didn't know.
    And EdBalls too!
    Really ?!
    Yes
    To date one Labour luminary called Ed may be regarded as a misfortune; to date both looks like carelessness.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Jane Eyre?!? I read that 3 times at school for English Lit O Level - got an E.
    The first time you read it as a 14 year old girl you focus on the love story. Reread it as a woman and it strikes you as one of the first feminist stories.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    isam said:

Mortimer said:

isam said:

Sunflower - Paul Weller

I listen to it every night to help me get to sleep, on so quietly I can barely hear it! So I’d have to have it on a desert island
    Funny how we get set in our ways isn't it. I am in hotels a lot, and now can't sleep unless I can hear crashing waves in the background. Most of the time, spotify is required!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Fascinating documentary about Dubai and the princesses who were kidnapped by their father on BBC2 right now.
  • Options
    Good Lord! That thread is horrifying.

Biden couldn't be worse.
  • Options
    Good night all, off to the Smoke tommorow to meet an old friend in public health.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827
    edited March 2020
    isam said:

Indie bias incoming:
    Made of Stone - Stone Roses
    Spaniard - Boo Radleys (but Lazarus would do equally well)
    There She Goes - The Las
    Shangri La - The Kinks
    Certe Notti - Ligabue (a soft rock longing love song to his local bar when it was undergoing renovation)
    Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani (cannot hear withot a massive grin)
    The Carnival Is Over - The Seekers
    For Tomorrow - Blur

something of my own properly scored up and recorded, since I never learned to play an instrument and so they only exist on paper and in my head. A ditty called "Shimmy" I think.

The Usual Suspects
    Three Musketeers

Like most, the book and half the songs are set - the film is the toughee for me.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

Please can we talk about something else, even if briefly.

Why Warren - despite being about the only person campaigning who knew how her sentences were going to end when she started them - ended up failing so miserably? For instance.

Was she too sharp? Misogyny? Particular policies? Am curious.

The after effects of the dreadful Hilary perhaps.

Or maybe not extreme enough to appeal to the Sanders supporters but not mainstream enough to appeal to the establishment.
    I think that's spot on.
  • Options
    isam said:

Sunflower - Paul Weller

Constant Craving is excellent - saw her do that album tour in London, many years back now.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Fascinating documentary about Dubai and the princesses who were kidnapped by their father on BBC2 right now.

An interesting finding of fact at Family Court to be sure for the judge.....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    stjohn said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

HYUFD said:

Oh! I didn't know.
    And EdBalls too!
    Really ?!
    Yes
    To date one Labour luminary called Ed may be regarded as a misfortune; to date both looks like carelessness.
    Looks like blindness more like.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    isam said:

Music (in no particular order)

1.Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.2 (Donohoe, Kennedy & Isserlis version)
    2. Mozart’s Requiem - (Han Welser Most version)
    3. Fleetwood Mac - Live Album
    4. Supertramp - It was the best of times
    5. Chopin - Nocturnes (Op. 9)
    6. Rush - Hold your fire
    7. Bach - Violin Sonatas
    8. Abba - complete collection

Book: War & Peace (Large coffee table edition printed on soft paper)
    Book for reading: Ken Croswell - Alchemy of the Heavens

Film: The Fifth Element
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Foxy said:

Good Lord! That thread is horrifying.

Biden couldn't be worse.
    Trump: "the tests are beautiful"

Even if Biden is so demented that he can't put a straw in his mouth, the US would still be better run.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

Please can we talk about something else, even if briefly.

Why Warren - despite being about the only person campaigning who knew how her sentences were going to end when she started them - ended up failing so miserably? For instance.

Was she too sharp? Misogyny? Particular policies? Am curious.

The after effects of the dreadful Hilary perhaps.

Or maybe not extreme enough to appeal to the Sanders supporters but not mainstream enough to appeal to the establishment.
    I think that's spot on.
    Except more than 50% of Dem voters wanted her to be president.
  • Options
    Eight tracks that remind me of awesome live gigs:

Rather Go Blind - Ruby Turner (Dominion, Tottenham Court Road)

Fast Car - Tracy Chapman (Wembley, Mandela Birthday Concert)

Bottle of Smoke - (The Pogues, Digbeth)

Fight for your Right to Party - (Beastie Boys with RUN DMC, Birmingham)

Marcus Garvey - Burning Spear (Tower Ballroom, Edgbaston)

Ghost Town - The Specials (Rock Against Racism, Potternewton Park, Leeds)

Ant Music - Adam and the Ants (Dunelm, Durham)

Damn Right I Got the Blues - Buddy Guy

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

isam said:

Music (in no particular order)

1.Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.2 (Donohoe, Kennedy & Isserlis version)
    2. Mozart’s Requiem - (Han Welser Most version)
    3. Fleetwood Mac - Live Album
    4. Supertramp - It was the best of times
    5. Chopin - Nocturnes (Op. 9)
    6. Rush - Hold your fire
    7. Bach - Violin Sonatas
    8. Abba - complete collection

Book: War & Peace (Large coffee table edition printed on soft paper)
    Book for reading: Ken Croswell - Alchemy of the Heavens

Film: The Fifth Element
    Multi-Pass!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    isam said:

1. Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos - Public Enemy
    2. This Charming Man - The Smiths
    3. Europa Endlos - Kraftwerk
    4. I am the Black Gold of the Sun - NuYorican Soul
    5. Transmission - Joy Division
    6. Nuthin But a G Thang - Dre
    7. Dimanche à Bamako - Amadou & Mariam
    8. Paid in Full- Eric B & Rakim

Book: Gravity's Rainbow

Film: Fearless Vampire Killers (even though it's Polanski)
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,799
    isam said:

Music

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
    Angel of the Morning - PP Arnold
    Rainbow Sleeves - Rickie Lee Jones from Girl at Her Volcano EP
    Scherzo from Dvorak’s Seventh Symphony
    Les Chemins de l’amour (Poulenc) sung by Felicity Lott
    Lipstick Sunset -John Hiatt
    Hobart Paving - St Etienne
    Dignity - Deacon Blue

Book: Rocks and Minerals in Colour (1st prize for primary 6a, 1969-70 session - thanks, Mrs Rayner!)

Film: Lone Star, written and directed by John Sayles
This discussion has been closed.