Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UK total up 47 to 163

Comments

• Options

Foxy said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Flanner said:

The long term damage to brand China is going to be huge over this.

Do you think? I don't think they have a brand really. Chinese products are cheaper, or better value let's say. That's it. That's no offence to China - I fully admire them for their achievement of economic dominance, but I don't see their prospect of future business being damaged providing their products remain cheaper than the competition.
    On the contrary.

In my industry (clothing) China has an extraordinarily strong brand - among professional clothing buyers. A country of limited creative or stylistic skills (which don't matter, since most designing's done in the West), but a formidably reliable network of businesses supplying raw materials, key components (like buttons and zips) and on-time, high-quality, garment assembly.

If anything, I'd say that brand has been strengthened by the country's robust response to the crisis. Everyone knows the place is run by unaccountable and out of touch politicians, so no-one's surprised the issue was badly fudged in the early days.

But the contrast between the ruthlessness of China's containment programme since late Jan and the self-deceiving, lackadaisical, behaviour of the White House and the cockups in Italy, Japan and Korea, is stark.

In Jan, I'd say there was a case for repatriating production (though it's currently impossible). With the haplessness four Western countries are showing (and that Johnson is still showing on most other issues), China's reputation for Teutonic reliability once it knows what the problem is has probably improved over the past month.
    I don't think Korea is doing badly. These are their infection and mortality figures btw.

https://twitter.com/YangeHan/status/1235866453028438019?s=09
    I've ticked most risk boxes up to now but this has cheered me up as I'm not young or religious or female
    Being a young female religious Korean does increase risk of infection, but they have a good survival is my interpretation.

Mind you Korean older patients do seem to better than the Chinese figures.

I would be interested in a similar age breakdown for Italy.
    Is there any data on smokers vs non-smokers or whether living in a highly polluted area has an effect ?
    Sky said males are more at risk than female as are smokers, especially male smokers

So pleased I stopped 16 years ago
    and had a sex change
    Now that is something I did not do
  • Options
    Scotland Women's Six Nations match with France in Glasgow on Saturday has been postponed after a home player contracted coronavirus.

The player is being treated in "a health care facility but is otherwise well", say Scottish Rugby, while seven members of the Scotland playing and management staff are in self-isolation.

Scotland men v France at Murrayfield on Sunday is set to go ahead as planned.

Scotland women's last game, in Italy, was called off over coronavirus fears.

Dr James Robson, Scottish Rugby's chief medical officer said, "We are pleased that our player is doing well and that all the correct medical procedures have been followed and continue to be followed.

"We are working with the Scottish Government in continuing to observe and follow NHS advice."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51777621
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,331

My daughter in law and her mother were leaving Vancouver on Monday for a road trip to Australia then a cruise around Australia and New Zealand and they have cancelled the trip today

The cruise line offered a full credit to be used at some later date on any of their cruises, but you do wonder how much of the cruise industry will be left standing after all of this

I am in the process of cancelling my rail and air porter charges for our Vancouver trip in May, though I have not made a final decision on the flights. Air porter told me they have been deluged with cancellations as so many are cancelling flights

The damage this is doing to economies is frightening, even more than the virus

The money will still be spent but in different ways.

The UK tourism sector is likely to do well as are the supermarkets.
    UK Tourism is going to be hit bad.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

Please can we talk about something else, even if briefly.

Why Warren - despite being about the only person campaigning who knew how her sentences were going to end when she started them - ended up failing so miserably? For instance.

Was she too sharp? Misogyny? Particular policies? Am curious.

Initially she got fooled by woke twitter and thought that the electorate was far more progressive than it actually was. That made her take positions like Medicare For All that would have been a liability in the general election. So once she realized this she started to reverse-ferret. But the left is extremely alert to signs of reverse-ferreting, and hardened around Bernie. She'd already done too much to worry the centre, and that was the end of that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971

isam said:

My daughter in law and her mother were leaving Vancouver on Monday for a road trip to Australia then a cruise around Australia and New Zealand and they have cancelled the trip today

The cruise line offered a full credit to be used at some later date on any of their cruises, but you do wonder how much of the cruise industry will be left standing after all of this

I am in the process of cancelling my rail and air porter charges for our Vancouver trip in May, though I have not made a final decision on the flights. Air porter told me they have been deluged with cancellations as so many are cancelling flights

I’m more frightened of the virus to be honest
    I should be as I am very high risk but I think the shock to the economies worldwide is going to be very disruptive and I expect recession across the globe is odds on
    You're spot on there Big_G.

@isam: it's the economy, stupid.
    All yours to worry about
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

Why Warren - despite being about the only person campaigning who knew how her sentences were going to end when she started them - ended up failing so miserably? For instance.

Outflanked by Sanders for leftists
    Buttiegieg over performing for educated vote
    Misogyny
    Another Clinton
    Would lose to Trump

The last 3 are obviously linked, its hard to disentangle whether its misogyny that Democrats think men will perform better in the Presidential elections, or if its them being practical.
    It’s a hard one to quantify.
    Political campaigns are strange things, and sometimes reason doesn’t come in to it.

But all of the above, except perhaps the first one, and ‘another Clinton’, which is just silly.

I don’t think Sanders outflanked her so much as she tried to position herself slightly to his right. But of course the Sanders supporters (as we know from last time around) are pretty hard to steal, so the appeal of a slightly less left wing version of him had quite a narrow market.

Women being held to higher standards was almost certainly a thing, too. A very large portion of the Democratic selectorate just want the candidate most likely to beat Trump. The number of quotes where someone said some variant of ‘I really like her, but I’m not sure she can win‘ is legion.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Do those 1970s type bed and breakfast landladies still exist that give you stern ;looks and tell you to be in by 9pm or else?
    Only if you pay extra
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    edited March 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

The impact of this on the economy is going to be far wider and deeper than we can currently imagine imo. Anywhere you look is going to be be seriously adversely impacted. Just one minor example:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/mar/06/uk-universities-face-cash-black-hole-coronavirus-crisis

The most chilling part - Chinese students think they are safer from coronavirus in China than they are in the uk:

Higson said the differing approaches to dealing with coronavirus had to be addressed by universities to make international students more comfortable. “As the official advice from China is to use face masks, the official British advice to focus on hygiene and frequent washing of hands is interpreted by some of our Chinese students as not being strong enough and creates concern with our Chinese students about the official UK response to Covid-19. In turn, this is resulting in some of our Chinese students now believing that it might be safer to return to China rather than staying in the UK,” she said.
    What does she expect the British to do? Face masks don't work. Washing hands does. If they won't believe that and want to go back to China where they can catch the virus through their masks then good luck to them.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,115
    IanB2 said:

UK Tourism is going to be hit bad.
    The bits dependent upon Chinese and American tourists will be.

But there's a lot beyond that.

And British people will still want have fun and spend money - they will just be more nervous about doing it abroad.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    isam said:

isam said:

I should be as I am very high risk but I think the shock to the economies worldwide is going to be very disruptive and I expect recession across the globe is odds on

All yours to worry about
    Are you self-isolated from the economy?
  • Options
    To change the mood a little... what would be your Desert island (or home quarantine) discs?

8 songs, a book and a film
  • Options
    edited March 2020

isam said:

isam said:

All yours to worry about
    I try to not let my financial state be the most important thing to worry about. If you’re skint, you’re skint
  • Options

Foxy said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Flanner said:

Do you think? I don't think they have a brand really. Chinese products are cheaper, or better value let's say. That's it. That's no offence to China - I fully admire them for their achievement of economic dominance, but I don't see their prospect of future business being damaged providing their products remain cheaper than the competition.
    On the contrary.

In my industry (clothing) China has an extraordinarily strong brand - among professional clothing buyers. A country of limited creative or stylistic skills (which don't matter, since most designing's done in the West), but a formidably reliable network of businesses supplying raw materials, key components (like buttons and zips) and on-time, high-quality, garment assembly.

If anything, I'd say that brand has been strengthened by the country's robust response to the crisis. Everyone knows the place is run by unaccountable and out of touch politicians, so no-one's surprised the issue was badly fudged in the early days.

But the contrast between the ruthlessness of China's containment programme since late Jan and the self-deceiving, lackadaisical, behaviour of the White House and the cockups in Italy, Japan and Korea, is stark.

In Jan, I'd say there was a case for repatriating production (though it's currently impossible). With the haplessness four Western countries are showing (and that Johnson is still showing on most other issues), China's reputation for Teutonic reliability once it knows what the problem is has probably improved over the past month.
    I don't think Korea is doing badly. These are their infection and mortality figures btw.

I've ticked most risk boxes up to now but this has cheered me up as I'm not young or religious or female
    Being a young female religious Korean does increase risk of infection, but they have a good survival is my interpretation.

Is there any data on smokers vs non-smokers or whether living in a highly polluted area has an effect ?
    Sky said males are more at risk than female as are smokers, especially male smokers

I was amazed to read yesterday that 63% of Chinese men smoke but less than 5% of women. The article was saying that this appears to be one reason why men are more likely to die of he virus as they already have compromised lungs.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Universities could feel the pinch - without barely literate rich Chinese students paying £30k a year they are going to have to settle for British kids on £9k.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    edited March 2020
    TGOHF666 said:
    One of our foremost political intellectuals...
  • Options
    On the misogyny angle it's discussed at length in post-dropout the Maddow interview with Warren - I think there's going to be a lot of pressure on Biden to pick a woman VP.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

All yours to worry about
    I try to not let my financial state be the most important thing to worry about. If you’re skint, you’re skint
    Sadly, you may be in danger of becoming skinter.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

There was a poll a few days go that asked Dem primary voters who they would prefer as President: over 50% of Dem primary voters selected Warren.

In the same poll they were asked who they were going to vote for in the primary and around 10% said Warren.

Dem primary voters are morons is my conclusion.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

rcs1000 said:

rpjs said:

nunu2 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

How does everyone make the Dem/GOP horse race ?

Interesting to note that Joe Biden received more votes in Virginia than Clinton and Sanders did combined in 2016.

He managed the trick in Minnesota also.

Whilst those states are expected to stay blue I wonder if he can rack up big numbers in PA, WI, FL ?
    Biden was +5.5 on the RCP spread vs Trump and that was coming off a poor cycle for him.
    The 2.58 for him to get the presidency could be massive.

This is the bible: https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump-2/

Forget hypotheticals. The question is "how popular is Trump in a given state".

And right now, Florida and Pennsylvania look pretty good for him, while Michigan and Wisconsin look bloody awful.
    There are some real wildcards in there. Alaska for instance.
    If he wins Florida and Pennsylvania he will win. Idk how exactly he will get to 270 but if he gets those two it suggests close results are mainly going his way
    Assuming the Dems hold all the states they won in 2016 (a good bet I think), then if Trump loses MI and WI, then the Dems just have to turn Florida or North Carolina or Pennsylvania. Personally I think the Dems will get back PA, and I think NC should be pretty easy for them - it's the new Virginia: a state that's turning blue due to an influx of lefter-leaning voters attracted by tech jobs.
    They also have a good shot at flipping AZ which is tuning increasing blue. Plus an outside chance in GA.
    I'd be very surprised if GA flipped - IA is much more likely, as they've been hammered by the Trump trade wars.
    Is there any reason why OH and PA are doing better then IA, WI and MI ?
    So... OH, PA, WI, and MI are the old rust belt. Go back forty years, and pretty much any American car would have been built there.

IA is not rust belt. It's a farming state, with a prosperous capital, that typically leans Republican. In a normal year, you could expect to take the Republican nationwide share and add about three or four points to get the Iowa result. But farming country has been hammered by Trump's trade war. So I think that's a special case.

Re OH and PA vs WI and MI. MI has really struggled economically in the last three years, so I think that's part of it. Wisconsin hasn't done much better, despite having had a Republican governor until rcently.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

geoffw said:

Saw a couple wearing facemasks in Waitrose this afternoon. Could have been Chinese, oriental anyway. No one paid them any attention - this is Edinburgh, Morningside. Then on my way home saw another, jogging. I hope it doesn't become the new normal. My normalcy bias showing there.

The only reason it won't become the new normal is because all the masks have already sold out (to people like me)
    So how many face masks, latex gloves and bottles of sanitizer do you have ?
    A lot.
    So more than ten but less than twenty.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

The after effects of the dreadful Hilary perhaps.

Or maybe not extreme enough to appeal to the Sanders supporters but not mainstream enough to appeal to the establishment.
    As per the polling I mentioned she was insanely popular amongst Dems but had a perception of 'unelectabilty' *cough*misoginy*cough*
  • Options

Foxy said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Flanner said:

On the contrary.

I was amazed to read yesterday that 63% of Chinese men smoke but less than 5% of women. The article was saying that this appears to be one reason why men are more likely to die of he virus as they already have compromised lungs.
    It will also be predominantly men who have worked in mining, heavy industry and other lung damaging occupations.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    The damage this is doing to the economy is going to be mammoth, but hopefully temporary.

It won't be said on Wednesday but we might see Gordon Brown-style deficit soon. A £100bn+ deficit over the next 12 months is quite imaginable.
  • Options

The damage this is doing to the economy is going to be mammoth, but hopefully temporary.

It won't be said on Wednesday but we might see Gordon Brown-style deficit soon. A £100bn+ deficit over the next 12 months is quite imaginable.

Oh behave - emptied shelves with VAT at 20% is manna for the exchequer.
  • Options
    isam said:

To change the mood a little... what would be your Desert island (or home quarantine) discs?

Psalm by Roxy Music
    Beethoven's Violin Concerto Opus 61
    How Long Will I Love You by The Waterboys (The song of when I met my wife)
    Jungle Land by Bruce Springsteen
    Mozart's Laudate Dominum sung by Kiri Te Kanawa
    Journey of the Sorcerer by The Eagles
    Angel From Montgomery by The Tedeschi Trucks Band
    America by Simon and Garfunkle

The book would be The Alexandria Quartet by Laurence Durrell
    The film would be a difficult choice between Local Hero and Blade runner with the latter just edging it.

In the radio programme you can choose an object and I would choose a guitar so I can finally learn how to play properly.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Thanks to all re the Warren replies.

The Democrats seem to have ended up with two appalling candidates. The interest will be in the VP choices this year.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

There was a poll a few days go that asked Dem primary voters who they would prefer as President: over 50% of Dem primary voters selected Warren.

In the same poll they were asked who they were going to vote for in the primary and around 10% said Warren.

No, my conclusion is that Dem voters really want to get rid of Trump.

The primary voters aren't just deciding who they want to because they want them. They're also choosing who they want, whom they think can beat Trump in November.

If Dem voters thought Warren would lose in November then its only logical not to vote for her.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,757
    isam said:

Me and Bobby McGee: Janis Joplin
    Will You?: Hazel O'Connor
    Smooth Operator: Sade
    Ring of Fire: Johnny Cash
    Back to Black: Amy Whitehouse
    Throw Down the Sword: Wishbone Ash
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun: Pink Floyd
    100 years From Now: The Byrds

The Brothers Karamazov: Dostoevsky

Groundhog Day

Though I would give a different answer most days.
    Music is a great trigger of memories, so the songs are more significant at promoting these than the best or greatest.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rpjs said:

nunu2 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Interesting to note that Joe Biden received more votes in Virginia than Clinton and Sanders did combined in 2016.

Whilst those states are expected to stay blue I wonder if he can rack up big numbers in PA, WI, FL ?
    Biden was +5.5 on the RCP spread vs Trump and that was coming off a poor cycle for him.

And right now, Florida and Pennsylvania look pretty good for him, while Michigan and Wisconsin look bloody awful.
    If he wins Florida and Pennsylvania he will win. Idk how exactly he will get to 270 but if he gets those two it suggests close results are mainly going his way
    Assuming the Dems hold all the states they won in 2016 (a good bet I think), then if Trump loses MI and WI, then the Dems just have to turn Florida or North Carolina or Pennsylvania. Personally I think the Dems will get back PA, and I think NC should be pretty easy for them - it's the new Virginia: a state that's turning blue due to an influx of lefter-leaning voters attracted by tech jobs.
    They also have a good shot at flipping AZ which is tuning increasing blue. Plus an outside chance in GA.
    I'd be very surprised if GA flipped - IA is much more likely, as they've been hammered by the Trump trade wars.
    So... OH, PA, WI, and MI are the old rust belt. Go back forty years, and pretty much any American car would have been built there.

IA is not rust belt. It's a farming state, with a prosperous capital, that typically leans Republican. In a normal year, you could expect to take the Republican nationwide share and add about three or four points to get the Iowa result. But farming country has been hammered by Trump's trade war. So I think that's a special case.

Re OH and PA vs WI and MI. MI has really struggled economically in the last three years, so I think that's part of it. Wisconsin hasn't done much better, despite having had a Republican governor until rcently.
    The Republican government of Wisconsin has engaged in a series of utterly economically and democracy damaging moves. Culminating in the Foxxcon debacle and the 'sore loser' session in 2018.

The gerrymandering of the state legislature is something to behold, Dems would need to lead by 14 points to get half of the seats.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Which foods in supermarkets attract VAT at 20%?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

TGOHF666 said:
    Pathetic ad hom.

• Options

Time to raise taxes.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Groundhog Day

Music is a great trigger of memories, so the songs are more significant at promoting these than the best or greatest.
    Ach. Will You was just on the edge of my list along with something from Talking Heads. Brilliant song.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rpjs said:

nunu2 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree about Iowa - the only impressive performance the Republicans have had there in decades was 2016.

For some reason Trump overachieved there and now it looks like reverting to its normal patters.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

The primary voters aren't just deciding who they want to because they want them. They're also choosing who they want, whom they think can beat Trump in November.

If Dem voters thought Warren would lose in November then its only logical not to vote for her.
    And the reason they think she'll lose is because she's a woman.

If you inverted the genders of the candidates Warren would have had this wrapped up by Super Tuesday.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Bog roll and tin foil for hats are VAT free ?
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:
    Yes he is. Glad you recognise it at last.
  • Options

Time to raise taxes.
    You do not raise taxes in a stressed economy
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Mostly food - vat exempt
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

TGOHF666 said:

Toilet paper is 20%, so the economy will be fine. Phew.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

It will also be predominantly men who have worked in mining, heavy industry and other lung damaging occupations.

It kills coal miners, boomers, the Chinese economy, middle-eastern oil producers, commuting to the office and air travel. Are we sure this isn't Greta Thunberg's bioweapon?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

geoffw said:

Saw a couple wearing facemasks in Waitrose this afternoon. Could have been Chinese, oriental anyway. No one paid them any attention - this is Edinburgh, Morningside. Then on my way home saw another, jogging. I hope it doesn't become the new normal. My normalcy bias showing there.

The only reason it won't become the new normal is because all the masks have already sold out (to people like me)
    A lot.
    lol

You want actual deets?

I've got about 40 little bottles of hand sanitiser

400 disposable gloves

20 full on 3M respirator face masks

and 298 bottles of Cune Gran Reserva Rioja
    Shame you couldn't find any good wine :)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eadric said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

Charles said:

Chameleon said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1235967126613168135?s=20

BA have suspended half their LHR SIN 380 flights

We're about two weeks away from the total suspension of almost all international air traffic.
    Less than that
    Gosh, if I had holiday trips booked to say Rome, Como, and Spain in late March and April I'd be really quite annoyed at this turn in events...
    I have been told - but I cannot verify although I trust the source - that closing all international borders is being discussed at an intergovernmental level
    It's the only way to fix this thing. Lock down, isolate, quarantine. Heal the sick. Smooth the pandemic curve then develop the vaccine.
    Absolute nonsense. Countries vary in size from about 1000 people to 1.4 bn people. How can country level possibly be the right unit to lock down when it is so randomly varied?
    That's the way the world works. What do you suggest as an alternative?
    Dont do it?
    And do what then? Lock down within countries and then allow international travel to then undo the good work?

This is a new paradigm. We didnt have movement between borders like this in 1918. We will need new solutions.
    Just let it take its course with some sensible not over the top sanctions.Otherwise society will break down and we will still be fafhing around trying to stop it when its not that much dangerous than normal flu
    Very sorry but your last statement is absolute nonsense which negates the rest of your post.
    ok Mr Pompous man
    But he's absolutely right. This bug has a mortality rate between 0.6 and 4.9% compared to "normal flu" - around 0.1%

The best guess at the moment is maybe 2%.

20 times more deadly.

On top of that, this bug is more more contagious than normal flu, it is already mutating into more lethal forms, it is new so no one has any immunity, and we are a year from a vaccine, at least.

Apart from that, ace comment
    Best guess - Chris Witty - is less than 1%
    WHO: ~3.4%
    There are specific issues with the WHO calculations. This link explains them well

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-facts-what-is-the-mortality-rate-and-is-there-a-cure-covid-19
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Considering around 95% of the empty shelves are food you're point is without merit.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Time to raise taxes.
    Wrong this time Big_G. This will be a supply side slump. Cutting taxes won't help and the government are going to need to spend big to protect citizens and businesses.

Exceptional circumstances call for exceptional measures.

PS I'd focus the taxes on wealth. Let's see how many of the super-rich flee to... er, where exactly?
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

geoffw said:

A lot.
    lol

You want actual deets?

400 disposable gloves

All that excess stuff wont do you any good.

You would be better off distributing it to friends, family, neighbours or anyone else you're likely to come into close proximity to.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited March 2020
    isam said:

Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A Major
    West Life - The Way You Look Tonight
    Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter (Closer sound track)
    Ella Fitzgerald - With a Song in my heart
    Arvo Part - Spiegel Im Spiegel
    Andy Williams - Danny Boy
    Dave Brubech - Take Five
    Frank Sinatra - I've Got You Under My Skin

Book - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Film - The Shawshank Redemption.

Top music track - Spiegel Im Spiegel
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Andy_JS said:

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

She was my preferred candidate to take on Trump. I can't explain why her campaign didn't make the impact it should have done.
    Warren seemed to me be the only adult in the room amongst a group of geriatrics, narcissists and fuckwits......and the majority of the other candidates combined all three characteristics
  • Options

isam said:

Psalm by Roxy Music
    Beethoven's Violin Concerto Opus 61
    How Long Will I Love You by The Waterboys (The song of when I met my wife)
    Jungle Land by Bruce Springsteen
    Mozart's Laudate Dominum sung by Kiri Te Kanawa
    Journey of the Sorcerer by The Eagles
    Angel From Montgomery by The Tedeschi Trucks Band
    America by Simon and Garfunkle

The book would be The Alexandria Quartet by Laurence Durrell
    The film would be a difficult choice between Local Hero and Blade runner with the latter just edging it.

In the radio programme you can choose an object and I would choose a guitar so I can finally learn how to play properly.
    I was just listening to America by S&G. Great song

I watched ‘More Than This’ the Roxy Music story yesterday. Never really got them tbh although I like a couple of the later hits
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Considering around 95% of the empty shelves are food you're point is without merit.
    And resupply is delivered by magic carpet by robots ?

Basic economics should be compulsory.

Activity is being stimulated - by simpletons.
  • Options

Time to raise taxes.
    Wrong this time Big_G. This will be a supply side slump. Cutting taxes won't help and the government are going to need to spend big to protect citizens and businesses.

PS I'd focus the taxes on wealth. Let's see how many of the super-rich flee to... er, where exactly?
    And tax cuts will assist but then I am a conservative who believes in low taxes
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited March 2020
    isam said:

Fantastic Man - William Onyeabor

Ghost Town - The Specials

Ripples - Genesis

Running Up That Hill (12") - Kate Bush

Ricochet (part 1) - Tangerine Dream

Shine on You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

Armagideon Times - The Clash

Swamabe - Bibi Den's Tshibayi

Book - The Complete Sherlock Holmes

Film - Apocalypse Now (Redux)

Ask me in an hour and so many would have changed......

• Options
    stjohn said:

isam said:

Dave Brubech - Take Five

Your book choice is something that you can read from age 10 to age 90 and find something you love about it....
  • Options

Foxy said:

isam said:

Groundhog Day

Ach. Will You was just on the edge of my list along with something from Talking Heads. Brilliant song.
    Talking Heads does need to feature...
  • Options

Time to raise taxes.

Time to think outside the box. :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Phone in - are you dim ? Did you make a twat of it during Brexit and are about to do it all over again ?

https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1236052364492234758?s=21
  • Options
    stjohn said:

isam said:

Dave Brubech - Take Five

Closer is a gut wrenchingly good film
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,485
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

If you inverted the genders of the candidates Warren would have had this wrapped up by Super Tuesday.
    Unlikely that sex or gender came into it. Warren's main problem was she was directly competing with Bernie Sanders for voters who were already lined up with him from four years ago.
  • Options
    I think people are overstating the terribleness of Joe Biden. He may be no Amy KLOBUCHAR and he's definitely too old but apart from that he's a great candidate to take on Trump.

He's well-known and therefore hard to make stuff up about (except the dementia issue which they can turn back against Trump), not scary to moderates, associated with all Obama's progessive achievements, popular with black voters, and connects well with low-education white voters. It would have been better if he'd run last time, but he's still a solid pick.
  • Options

Time to raise taxes.

Cutting taxes is outside the box Ben
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    tyson said:

stjohn said:

isam said:

Dave Brubech - Take Five

Your book choice is something that you can read from age 10 to age 90 and find something you love about it....
    I'm listening to my top music track Spiegel Im Spiegel now. I'm addicted to it. So simple and so poignant. It was the soundtrack to the brilliant film starring Emma Thompson - "Wit".
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,021

Monkeys said:

eadric said:
    His lungs are already iron, much like his hair is purest silicon.
    Tesla are in some trouble. I won't go into this in detail here but there has been a lot of shorting of Tesla stock.

What they have going for them is an alleged 4 year headstart on EV's but that's about where the good news ends right now.

Others may disagree but at $700 a share, down from $925 peak they are still way over-priced in my opinion.

I saw a lower control arm from a Tesla 3 recently. It was the cheapest shittest stamped steel with plastic webbing and a weight (presumably for damping) cable tied to it at the factory.

The key competitive advantage they still have is their charging infrastructure because the product is no longer anything special.
  • Options

isam said:

Ripples - Genesis

Armagidion time by the Clash is a good choice, and Apocalypse Now

Ultimately though, if watching one film repeatedly, it has to be Groundhog Day.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Groundhog Day

My mum used to do the washing up listening to Sade’s Diamond Life album. Interesting track to choose from Floyd. I used to love the early stuff but now prefer The Wall
  • Options

Time to raise taxes.

Cutting taxes is outside the box Ben
    It's right in the middle of the Tory economic policy box Big_G but we'll have to disagree.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Groundhog Day

Wow- I would put D..."Crime and Punishment" as my book.....but definitely Groundhog Day......

For simplicity...for 8 or so tracks... I would take Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division....or
    The Stone Roses (first album)....

Depending on my mood
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

Time to raise taxes.

Businesses unable to operate as do many workers are self isolating will have problems enough with their balance sheets without being hit by business taxes.

More money is going to need to go into the NHS for the minority affected with side effects related to breathing etc and compensation for businesses and workers hit by self isolation.

So yes any taxes raised should be focused on high value assets and taxes should then be cut once the outbreak is over to get the economy going again
  • Options
    Covid doesn’t feature top billing on the Express nor Star tomorrow..
  • Options
    tyson said:

Andy_JS said:

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

She was my preferred candidate to take on Trump. I can't explain why her campaign didn't make the impact it should have done.
    Warren seemed to me be the only adult in the room amongst a group of geriatrics, narcissists and fuckwits......and the majority of the other candidates combined all three characteristics
    When it came down to the last three yes, but before that you had loads of younger, competent candidates: Booker, Harris, KLOBUCHAR, Delaney...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

Never mind spotify, I have an iPod. So I don’t need to choose just eight songs.

The book I’d choose is Fernand Braudel’s Structures Of Everyday Life.

The film? Rear Window.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

Unlikely that sex or gender came into it. Warren's main problem was she was directly competing with Bernie Sanders for voters who were already lined up with him from four years ago.
    The poll I'm quoting said over 50% of Dem voters would choose Warren to be president out of all of the potential candidates.

That's an absolute majority.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I think people are overstating the terribleness of Joe Biden. He may be no Amy KLOBUCHAR and he's definitely too old but apart from that he's a great candidate to take on Trump.

He's well-known and therefore hard to make stuff up about (except the dementia issue which they can turn back against Trump), not scary to moderates, associated with all Obama's progessive achievements, popular with black voters, and connects well with low-education white voters. It would have been better if he'd run last time, but he's still a solid pick.

I agree, Biden connects with white working class and black voters better than any of the other candidates who were in the field and it was underperformance with those voters that saw Hillary lose in 2016.

A Biden Buttigieg or Biden Klobuchar ticket could beat Trump, though I would not count out POTUS either and he will shift ground if he needs to e.g. with a big healthcare plan
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Groundhog Day

My mum used to do the washing up listening to Sade’s Diamond Life album. Interesting track to choose from Floyd. I used to love the early stuff but now prefer The Wall
    Diamond Life is one of those rare perfect albums with no dud tracks.

I love early Floyd and highly recommend Nick Masons "Saucer Full of Secrets" band, touring at the moment. They don't play anything after Atom Heart Mother.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

geoffw said:

A lot.
    lol

You want actual deets?

400 disposable gloves

You would be better off distributing it to friends, family, neighbours or anyone else you're likely to come into close proximity to.
    Why do you think I bought so much?

To give to family and close friends who said, about three weeks ago, that I was being a mad, paranoid drama queen. They're not saying that any more.

(Tho I am keeping the wine. F*ck 'em)
    So why have you still got it ?

Are you sure you're not becoming a little bit Gollum ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Time to raise taxes.

Businesses unable to operate as do many workers are self isolating will have problems enough with their balance sheets without being hit by business taxes.

More money is going to need to go into the NHS for the minority affected with side effects related to breathing etc and compensation for businesses and workers hit by self isolation.

So yes any taxes raised should be focused on high value assets and taxes should then be cut once the outbreak is over to get the economy going again
    I would broadly agree with that. Let's not run up a >£100bn deficit again to get us through this looming recession.
  • Options
  • Options
    eadric said:

isam said:

Ripples - Genesis

Ripples is such a marvellous, and oddly neglected song. Good choice.
    Mad Man Moon from the same album is even better.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827
    tyson said:

Andy_JS said:

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

American presidents back as far as Carter have almost all had a certain relatability - they have fitted, one way or another, a template that is easier for a male politician to fall into. The focused professionalism of the Clinton / Warren generation of female politicians doesn't do well in a system where the choice is made almost entirely on the razzamatazz of a candidate's campaigning. Obama, of course, pulled off the near unique trick of being laser focussed and relatable simultaneously.
  • Options

isam said:

The film? Rear Window.
    That book (or books) looks fascinating Alastair. Is it hard work though? I'm afraid I give up too easily on books as I get older.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Groundhog Day

Wow- I would put D..."Crime and Punishment" as my book.....but definitely Groundhog Day......

For simplicity...for 8 or so tracks... I would take Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division....or

Depending on my mood
    Crime and Punishment gets going rather more quickly than the Brothers, and would be on my shortlist.

The Stone Roses is another on my list of perfect albums without a dud track.
  • Options

isam said:

The film? Rear Window.
    Rear Window just makes me anxious...right from the start to the end....it still amazes me now watching it how a mortal human being could have made such a brilliant film..it reaches into the depth of your mind and fucks with it for 2 hours or so....

Sadly I wouldn't want it anywhere near me on a Desert Island....

• Options
    Pro_Rata said:

tyson said:

Andy_JS said:

Cyclefree said:

God Almighty!

American presidents back as far as Carter have almost all had a certain relatability - they have fitted, one way or another, a template that is easier for a male politician to fall into. The focused professionalism of the Clinton / Warren generation of female politicians doesn't do well in a system where the choice is made almost entirely on the razzamatazz of a candidate's campaigning. Obama, of course, pulled off the near unique trick of being laser focussed and relatable simultaneously.
    Indeed, the key characteristic of most winning American presidents is not intelligence or wealth but charisma and the ability to relate to the average American
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Groundhog Day

I love early Floyd and highly recommend Nick Masons "Saucer Full of Secrets" band, touring at the moment. They don't play anything after Atom Heart Mother.
    Summer '68 from Atom Heart Mother always makes me slightly choke, and I don't quite know why
    Having a listen now... the only one I remember from that album is Fat old Sun

Sounds like a Rick Wright number

• Options
    Off topic: the answer to the previous threadheader question appears to be 24 hours.

Looks like the resot of the country is not as obsessed with corvid-19 as we PBers are.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

isam said:

The film? Rear Window.
    That book (or books) looks fascinating Alastair. Is it hard work though? I'm afraid I give up too easily on books as I get older.
    It’s the first of a trilogy. The first is by some way the best. It’s also the least pretentious.

It changed the way I look at things. Few books do that. Its extraordinariness is hidden by how much its arguments have changed the thinking of others.
  • Options
    isam said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Groundhog Day

Summer '68 from Atom Heart Mother always makes me slightly choke, and I don't quite know why
    Having a listen now... the only one I remember from that album is Fat old Sun

Sounds like a Rick Wright number

Am I a bit weird for actually liking Alan's Psychadelic Breakfast?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Groundhog Day

Songs of Faith and Devotion - Depeche Mode
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

geoffw said:

A lot.
    lol

You want actual deets?

400 disposable gloves

Why do you think I bought so much?

To give to family and close friends who said, about three weeks ago, that I was being a mad, paranoid drama queen. They're not saying that any more.

(Tho I am keeping the wine. F*ck 'em)
    So why have you still got it ?

Are you sure you're not becoming a little bit Gollum ?
    Jesus F Christ. I will give it out when I see them (and when some of them have gotten over their embarrassment at laughing at me 3 weeks back). Satisfied?
    Post it out to them.

Would be a bit ironic if by the time you see them they are already infected and they then infect you.
  • Options
    tyson said:

isam said:

The film? Rear Window.
    Rear Window just makes me anxious...right from the start to the end....it still amazes me now watching it how a mortal human being could have made such a brilliant film..it reaches into the depth of your mind and fucks with it for 2 hours or so....

Sadly I wouldn't want it anywhere near me on a Desert Island....

The brilliance of Rear Window is how the hero and heroine would be utterly unlikeable if they weren’t James Stewart and Grace Kelly. He’s a creep and she’s a snob. But it’s James Stewart and Grace Kelly so they’re adorable.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited March 2020
    Newsnight: footfall in London down 30%

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,888
    edited March 2020
    If my maths is right, excluding that day the China methodology changed, today is the single biggest increases in cases. 4k today, so far.
  • Options

Off topic: the answer to the previous threadheader question appears to be 24 hours.

Looks like the resot of the country is not as obsessed with corvid-19 as we PBers are.

PB.com is a hive of bedwetters.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Groundhog Day

Depending on my mood
    Crime and Punishment gets going rather more quickly than the Brothers, and would be on my shortlist.

The Stone Roses is another on my list of perfect albums without a dud track.
    I love the redemption in Crime and Punishment.....

Groundhog Day is...what can you say......
  • Options
    Women's Six Nations: Scotland v France postponed after home player tests positive for coronavirus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51777621
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    isam said:

Classical music

1. Messiah
    2. Hadyn’s Creation
    3. Shostakovich Waltz No 2
    4. Elgar’s Salut d’Amour as played by Aldo Ciccolino
    5. Mozart’s Requiem
    6. Puccini’s Tosca
    7. Marriage of Figaro
    8. Louis Alvanis playing Brahms Hungarian Dances for piano. The last track on that - Themes and Variations in D minor - is a masterpiece.

Non classical music

Book: Vanity Fair

Film: Cinema Paradiso / The Leopard / Some Like it Hot
This discussion has been closed.