Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2019 – the result with two seats to be declared

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2019 – the result with two seats to be declared

BBC

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    A joyous morning.
  • Options
    Not quite as many votes as John Major but a Thatcher style landslide.
  • Options
    Highly efficient Con vote. Highly inefficient Lab operation.
  • Options
    Is it morning already.

I have been somewhat distracted all night in a political dream seeing labour seat after seat fall live on tv

I need to get some breakfast now but so pleased Corbyn has been binned
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    Oh, Jeremy Corbyn!
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited December 2019
    Lib Dem leader’s name is wrong
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    What is really annoying is that after the exit poll, the right-wingers all came out of the woodwork with their GOP cliches about SJWs / toothless cosmopolitans / metrosexuals etc. And Boris does have to reward these people from the woodwork.
  • Options
    The result in Northern Ireland is seismic. More nationalist MPs than unionists.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Who's the father of the house now?
  • Options
    NorthernPowerhouseNorthernPowerhouse Posts: 557
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for the tip off from here on snp under 55 seats. Whacked £400 on at 10:20 last night. Made a nice £333.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Are the Alliance nationalist?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Oh, Jeremy Corbyn!

No Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    Well done - again - to Prof Sir John and the exit poll team. A handful of seats off in Scotland and pretty much spot on in England.
  • Options
    Corbyn is not going. Who would have thought? The worst result in modern history but it's nothing to do with him. Biased media, Brexit and an establishment plot. Apparently.
  • Options

Peter Bottomley.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Anyone know the numbers for women in each of the parties now. Talk of Cons having record numbers of candidates but all in unwinnable seats. But some of them won...
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Oh, Jeremy Corbyn!

No Jeremy Corbyn
    Woe, Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options
    Marcus01 said:

Corbyn is not going. Who would have thought? The worst result in modern history but it's nothing to do with him. Biased media, Brexit and an establishment plot. Apparently.

Corbyn is going. The question is when.
  • Options
    Layla Moran to be next LD leader despite troubles, Labour to go though period of civil war.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,100
    What are the two seats? The BBC seems to have had the brilliant idea of colour-coding the Speaker's seat the same as "yet to be declared."
  • Options

Harriet Harman?
  • Options
    Some great chat on here last night. Can't remember who tipped the SNP under 55 seats bet at 1.93 but I filled my boots on that one.

As ever, PB is a pleasure on election night. It's a shame we will have to wait five years for another one now.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Non-aligned.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Marcus01 said:

Corbyn is going. The question is when.
    And on whose terms. He clearly wants to hang around to bias the future.
  • Options
    Chris said:

What are the two seats? The BBC seems to have had the brilliant idea of colour-coding the Speaker's seat the same as "yet to be declared."

St Ives and Orkney, presumably?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

As ever, PB is a pleasure on election night. It's a shame we will have to wait five years for another one now.

Let's bloody well hope so....

The size of this majority all but secures it though.
  • Options
    One things for sure - Brexit is now fully in the hands of the Brexiteers. No more blaming Remainers when it goes tits up.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Chris said:

Land's End and John o' Groats (almost)?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019

One things for sure - Brexit is now fully in the hands of the Brexiteers. No more blaming Remainers when it goes tits up.

It should become fairly clear quite quickly to what extent Johnson is prepared to ignore the ERG, or not.
  • Options
    I had an exciting night at the count. Lib Dems almost tripled vote share, though still an easy win for the safe Tory. A local ray of sunshine in the national gloom for us - deposit saved and into double digits! Labour chap was not a happy man.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    alex_ said:

Cross community, and neutral on reunification but pro EU. They are sister party to the Lib Dems. They oppose the GFA for entrenching sectarianism, which is a valid criticism IMO.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    alex_ said:

Chris said:

Only 1 left is St Ives Orkney is still Lib Dem
  • Options

It should be come fairly clear quite quickly to what extent Johnson is prepared to ignore the ERG, or not.
    If anyone wants to "take a position" on exchange rates, that's the most interesting question now.
  • Options

You poor sweet innocent child.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, he hasn't gone yet. Labour MPs need to wield the axe, and wield it soon.

The longer they leave it, the fainter the memory of this loss and the weaker the chance of getting a leader who isn't a far left loon.
  • Options

Been to sleep now for a bit.

I'm genuinely devastated about this - but I promised I wouldn't run away so here I am.

...snip...

So for me that leaves this:

Corbynism is over, it's done.

The entirety of Corbyn's team must go immediately.

The next leader has to be somebody either not related to Corbyn or not a true believer. Again that leaves Starmer. But the concern with him is that he's very "London" and not especially charismatic. Not at all convinced he's going to win back those Northern seats.

The next leader needs an actually decent PR team and preferably should understand how the media works. Sometimes you have to play the game.

I genuinely believe that a soft-left manifesto, promising to deal with climate change, action on tuition fees, fixing the railways, sorting out austerity and housing, can win. But that's as radical as Labour can go, the electorate don't want more. And Labour needs to accept that.

Really there are no easy answers. But the one saving grace as even Johnson acknowledged, is that these new voters are temporary at present. He has a lot to do to keep them - and if Labour is actually decent again, I passionately believe they'll come back.

So I'm sorry to all the people I've let down by backing Corbyn. I hold my hands up, I also hold my hands up for calling the election wrong as I promised I would.

All the best to you all.

Good to hear your thoughts CHB. Don't give up fighting for what you believe in. I think what you say about the soft-left manifesto, tuition fees, fixing (but not necessarily nationalising) the railways, housing etc are the path back for Labour. Whether that is in 2024 or not I do not know. But it is the way back.

The question is who will lead the Labour party back to this more moderate vision? It's hard to see at the moment. You seem quite clear eyed about it all but I fear many Labour members will want the comfort blanket of another hard left leader.

In many ways it is good that Corbyn stays on a while, it will give Labourites the time to process this shellacking and consider that a more moderate leader might be a wise choice.
  • Options

Good luck with that. It is *always* someone else's fault.
    The frustrating thing is there will be no more votes in "I told you so" than there were in "you're making a mistake." Whatever happens with Brexit (and it will either be a disaster or BINO, IMHO) most Leave voters will go to their graves thinking they made the right choice.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

It should be come fairly clear quite quickly to what extent Johnson is prepared to ignore the ERG, or not.
    Though the same problem persists, this negotiation is not an ala carte menu. Everything is complicated by the presence of the opposing team.
  • Options
    Gold Standard.

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1205373437025378304

Also Aaron won so we have an MP on PB again.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

I'm genuinely devastated about this - but I promised I wouldn't run away so here I am.
    [Snip]

So therefore I have to conclude, this result was probably inevitable. Perhaps a HP was possible under a better leader - but I can't see a Labour victory.

Now a Labour victory seems years off. I don't even think Blair's 1997 landslide would undo this victory (has anyone done the numbers on that?) and so Labour is probably due two more leaders between now and 2030.

But most of all it's the poor and the disabled I'm going to worry about and the young people that are going to be ignored by this Government. They didn't vote for them - and the Tories don't need them, so it will be more of the same for them. For that though, it's really my (although in fairness I'm not a Labour member) and the Labour membership's fault. We made this mistake, we need to own it, hold our hands up and learn from it.

The next leader has to be somebody either not related to Corbyn or not a true believer. Again that leaves Starmer. But the concern with him is that he's very "London" and not especially charismatic. Not at all convinced he's going to win back those Northern seats.

The next leader needs an actually decent PR team and preferably should understand how the media works. Sometimes you have to play the game.

I genuinely believe that a soft-left manifesto, promising to deal with climate change, action on tuition fees, fixing the railways, sorting out austerity and housing, can win. But that's as radical as Labour can go, the electorate don't want more. And Labour needs to accept that.

Really there are no easy answers. But the one saving grace as even Johnson acknowledged, is that these new voters are temporary at present. He has a lot to do to keep them - and if Labour is actually decent again, I passionately believe they'll come back.

So I'm sorry to all the people I've let down by backing Corbyn. I hold my hands up, I also hold my hands up for calling the election wrong as I promised I would.

All the best to you all.

Long post but well said. I agree to some extent this was inevitable once Brexit party fell in behind the Tories. The argument that Lab should have been even more Remain doesn't seem to stand up when they have done so poorly in Leave seats. Corbyn clearly a net negative because of all his baggage. Labour need a fresh start.

• Options
    eek said:

alex_ said:

Chris said:

Only 1 left is St Ives Orkney is still Lib Dem
    Every time I look at the Lib Dem parliamentary party I think about Charles Kennedy and go through a "Here Lies Poor Fred" routine.
  • Options
    Which seat saw the biggest Con to Lab swing last night, ditto the biggest Lab to Con swing?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, congrats to Mr. Price.
  • Options

Which seat saw the biggest Con to Lab swing last night, ditto the biggest Lab to Con swing?

Bassetlaw was 25% I think
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Good to hear your thoughts CHB. Don't give up fighting for what you believe in. I think what you say about the soft-left manifesto, tuition fees, fixing (but not necessarily nationalising) the railways, housing etc are the path back for Labour. Whether that is in 2024 or not I do not know. But it is the way back.

The question is who will lead the Labour party back to this more moderate vision? It's hard to see at the moment. You seem quite clear eyed about it all but I fear many Labour members will want the comfort blanket of another hard left leader.

In many ways it is good that Corbyn stays on a while, it will give Labourites the time to process this shellacking and consider that a more moderate leader might be a wise choice.

My fear is that they won't - but there must be people like me out there. And we must not forget that in 2016 40% of the membership voted against Corbyn.

I think there are elements of Brexit absolutely that caused this destruction, so the Labour response isn't entirely wrong. But they don't seem to have figured out that that Brexit policy was under the watch of Corbyn.

He should have stuck to his guns and backed Leave. That would have been less terrible - but ultimately he was screwed from the moment he didn't go after 2017.

Labour would have been in Government by now had he gone then.

Real change they said, well they were right. It's just five more years of the Tories. This result is just absolutely crazy for Labour - and it's difficult to see how they come back. Of course they will, Blair did. But it took a long time.
  • Options
    About time, we’ve had too much of the phantom menace. Hopefully we won’t see too many Corbynite clones.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

[Snip]

So therefore I have to conclude, this result was probably inevitable. Perhaps a HP was possible under a better leader - but I can't see a Labour victory.

Now a Labour victory seems years off. I don't even think Blair's 1997 landslide would undo this victory (has anyone done the numbers on that?) and so Labour is probably due two more leaders between now and 2030.

But most of all it's the poor and the disabled I'm going to worry about and the young people that are going to be ignored by this Government. They didn't vote for them - and the Tories don't need them, so it will be more of the same for them. For that though, it's really my (although in fairness I'm not a Labour member) and the Labour membership's fault. We made this mistake, we need to own it, hold our hands up and learn from it.

All the best to you all.

Long post but well said. I agree to some extent this was inevitable once Brexit party fell in behind the Tories. The argument that Lab should have been even more Remain doesn't seem to stand up when they have done so poorly in Leave seats. Corbyn clearly a net negative because of all his baggage. Labour need a fresh start.

The irony is that pro-Remain parties got about 55% of the vote. But it was too split too win.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Just think your mate Dave has helped wreck the Labour party

He wrote his memoirs too soon.
  • Options
    If the Remainers in Parliament had been less ideologically blinkered and got behind some kind of compromise deal this could have been prevented too.

That's not trying to shift the blame - but Swinson made a truly terrible decision. Perhaps the worst of any leader in modern times.

They said there would be one short serving leader, turns out it was Swinson.
  • Options
    Winners last night - Johnson, Sturgeon and (a fair chunk of) the polling industry:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1205407362867220480?s=20

In the Campaign shout out to local press & TV for genuine scoops and backing them up (Yorkshire Post) and commissioning useful polling (Courier, Scotland). Did better at doorstepping leading candidates than the national TV. Thats the last time they're seen as a 'push over'.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019

rkrkrk said:

[Snip]

All the best to you all.

The irony is that pro-Remain parties got about 55% of the vote. But it was too split too win.
    Johnson would do very well to remember this when wondering how much leeway to allow to the ERG. The ERG will doubtless cast Labour as an ambivalent part of the percentage, but the strikingly similar referendum polls don't lie.
  • Options

Con to Lab must be Putney.
  • Options
    Labour must also back PR - and fast. That must be one of their new policies.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Yes. And the Leave vote was united.
  • Options
    Also the electoral boundaries which will presumably pass are going to make it even harder for Labour to come back. I honestly foresee a 2024 loss now, I really do.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

unlikely

Labour and Conservatives back PR when in opposition and oppose it when in power
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Thanks.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

Posted on November 18th. I think I did pretty well!

Well done, I went for a Tory majority of 40-70 so feeling smug* now.

*Well when I am not unbearably smug.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

kyf_100 said:

My fear is that they won't - but there must be people like me out there. And we must not forget that in 2016 40% of the membership voted against Corbyn.

I think there are elements of Brexit absolutely that caused this destruction, so the Labour response isn't entirely wrong. But they don't seem to have figured out that that Brexit policy was under the watch of Corbyn.

He should have stuck to his guns and backed Leave. That would have been less terrible - but ultimately he was screwed from the moment he didn't go after 2017.

Real change they said, well they were right. It's just five more years of the Tories. This result is just absolutely crazy for Labour - and it's difficult to see how they come back. Of course they will, Blair did. But it took a long time.
    Labour stayed in the fence regarding Brexit. THE key question is why they had to Go neutral and the Tories didn’t. The reason the Tories could back Leave and yet retain Remain cores was because fear of Corbyn kept their remain voters loyal.

That was the advantage won this election. Whichever way Labour jumped, the disappointed side had somewhere safe to go. That’s the difference. My staying neutral, Corbyn could not attack the Tory position. This was how Corbyn lost it,
  • Options
    How well I remember her coming to Edinburgh to lecture people at the Edinburgh Book Festival to hold their nose and vote Labour. She was heckled non stop by ex SLab activists, who went to the SNP. They tore her to shreds.

Tone deaf then, tone deaf now.
  • Options

My thoughts are these:

Corbyn should have resigned in 2017 on a high and Starmer should have taken over. He could have forged a coalition of some kind in Parliament for what he wanted, a second referendum.

But since that didn't happen, Labour's biggest errors have been Brexit and Corbyn. No surprises there of course.

But I have to be honest and conclude there are no easy answers here.

I think it's absolutely indisputable that a better leader like Starmer would have done a lot better in Southern England than Corbyn.

But in the North? A more pro-Remain, pro second referendum leader? I cannot see it.

(Cut)

All the best to you all.

This is all correct. Both Corbynistas and Remainer moderates like me have to admit that they tried to go against the grain of public opinion, however wrong we may think public opinion currently is. But Britain needs an effective and electable opposition in the years ahead, especially with a man like Johnson in charge. Hopefully the centre left can come together with both passion and realism and come back from this horrible day.
    Although I never supported Corbyn as leader I think it's good that passionate voices on the Left like you are involved in the party. I hope that more pragmatic voices will now also get more of a hearing so we can build a winning platform for 2024 (by which time I will be almost 50 and will only have seen one Labour leader win an election).
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Good morning PBers. I didn`t post last night, but I was reading your posts up to 5.30am.

AVE IT!
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1205275265137545221

This is exactly what I mean.

They need to accept it's a combination of Brexit, leader and policies.

Less radical but still left wing (as that is where the Tories have gone), better leader, don't back rejoin. You're onto a winner!

They don't even need another Blairite, they can be more left wing than him!

Take the chances you have! Momentum and Corbynites need to wake up or fuck off quite frankly!
  • Options

alex_ said:

Thanks.
    Apologies it was 18%. Should have checked. Lab were down 25%
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

kyf_100 said:

Not sure Labour would have been in power.. there would have been another obnoxious Momentum leader. Until Labour expel all Momentum members as Commies, it will not progress.
  • Options

If the Remainers in Parliament had been less ideologically blinkered and got behind some kind of compromise deal this could have been prevented too.

That's not trying to shift the blame - but Swinson made a truly terrible decision. Perhaps the worst of any leader in modern times.

They bet the farm on another election reversing Brexit, when actually it's ensured that hard Brexit will happen.

I still think there was space for a soft Brexit fudge back when we had the Boles and Clarke amendments. Anyway that's all ancient history now.
  • Options

No, the worst decision was Cameron's decision to hold a referendum on EU membership. Brexit will destroy the Tories, and possibly the country. We haven't seen anything yet.
  • Options

There are no votes in saying I told you so before the "so" gets done, so this and no Swinson and no Corbyn is one of the best feasible results for LDs. Don't forget they serially and grossly over-poll, always.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Labour stayed in the fence regarding Brexit. THE key question is why they had to Go neutral and the Tories didn’t. The reason the Tories could back Leave and yet retain Remain cores was because fear of Corbyn kept their remain voters loyal.

That was the advantage won this election. Whichever way Labour jumped, the disappointed side had somewhere safe to go. That’s the difference. My staying neutral, Corbyn could not attack the Tory position. This was how Corbyn lost it,
    But let's face it, ultimately that's because he was the leader. I do not think Starmer would have won this election - but it's conceivable with the disastrous LD performance how he could have won much of the South.
  • Options

Also the electoral boundaries which will presumably pass are going to make it even harder for Labour to come back. I honestly foresee a 2024 loss now, I really do.

Unless it goes very bad for the Tories in next election then thats true. But odd things happen.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Marcus01 said:

A joyous morning.

I`m so relieved that the Corbyn danger has been averted.

Very sad to see LibDem result though. I feel so sorry for Swinson. Politics is brutal.
  • Options

Unless it goes very bad for the Tories in next election then thats true. But odd things happen.
    People said the same after the 1992 election, then Black Wednesday happened.

Sustained No Deal will make Black Wednesday look like a walk in the park,
  • Options

There's vast unpredictability between now and 2024.

The Tories will have a vast new cohort of effectively unprecedented consituencies and voters to satisfy, and huge expectations of Brexit to manage.
  • Options
    It's the first time since 2010 that Britain can have its normal government-opposition discourse back with no it's-complicated stuff about effective majorities.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

But let's face it, ultimately that's because he was the leader. I do not think Starmer would have won this election - but it's conceivable with the disastrous LD performance how he could have won much of the South.
    A leader with a clear policy could have won this election, Defeat was far from inevitable, The SNP prove this.
  • Options

My thoughts are these:

Corbyn should have resigned in 2017 on a high and Starmer should have taken over. He could have forged a coalition of some kind in Parliament for what he wanted, a second referendum.

But since that didn't happen, Labour's biggest errors have been Brexit and Corbyn. No surprises there of course.

But I have to be honest and conclude there are no easy answers here.

I think it's absolutely indisputable that a better leader like Starmer would have done a lot better in Southern England than Corbyn.

But in the North? A more pro-Remain, pro second referendum leader? I cannot see it.

All the best to you all.

Oh, CHB, we've all been there. My first GE was 1992, I was convinced that Kinnock had it won. It was a shattering experience to get smacked in the face by reality. I'm no longer a Labour member, but I do not want the main UK opposition party to be in this state.

I've got huge time for Starmer as an actual grown up, in short supply in the Labour ranks at present. Someone else will emerge eventually. It might be a long road back, but I hope you can find your way back, as a party.
  • Options
    EPG said:

It's the first time since 2010 that Britain can have its normal government-opposition discourse back with no it's-complicated stuff about effective majorities.

Yep, finally we have majority government again...
  • Options
    To CorrectHorseBattery

A lovely post CHC and well thought through. I would agree with most everything you say but but would just add a couple of, hopefully, constructive observations

In the time labour need to come to its senses and come forward with policies brexit will have happened and a trade deal, so it is unlikely to be the same arguments as today by a long chalk. Also, remember, Boris is a one nation conservative and as he said today he will address peoples concerns on the NHS, Education, Policing and immigration and especially local investment throughout the blue tide of once labour seats to ensure he does not take his new voters for granted

It is a very ambitious project but he is the most secure PM in the west and is almost certainly favourite to win another term even at this early stage

I would just like to say your dilligence in fighting your corner was impressive and I am pleased you are to continue posting on PB.

All the best
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1205411366435209216

This is the kind of thing a decent new Labour leader needs to exploit.
  • Options

People said the same after the 1992 election, then Black Wednesday happened.

Sustained No Deal will make Black Wednesday look like a walk in the park,
    Hence the 'very bad' caveat...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    The boys at MI5 put in a hell of shift to change all those Labour votes. Well done lads!
  • Options

Kudos for coming back.

The Labour Youth obsession with abolishing tuition fees is daft as.

Was at a dinner party around Camden Town a few weeks back, all youngish graduates saddled with student debt and massively pro Labour in the hopes of some kind of write-off. Moaned and moaned and moaned about it. All earning good money in professional London jobs and only affected by the fees in the sense that they were above the income threshold therefore actually having to make contributions to pay it off. Had they been in low-income jobs, they would be making no contributions and would essentially have got their uni education for fee. Incidentally everyone at the party had postgraduate qualifications, some multiple. Nobody in that social circle had taken a path other than than uni, done the unthinkable by doing something other than A-levels at 16, etc. Even on PB, people constantly interchange "young people" with "students/graduates". But the A-level-then-uni path is a minority sport in this country. Lazy conflation.

...snip...

The fact it's a popular position within the Labour party has a lot to do with the fact young professional graduates make up a big chunk of the membership and it is, quite naturally, their concern - but that's not the same as figuring out what policy offering you need to attract, say, a twenty-something technician from Workington who did BTEC instead of A-levels and earns above minimum wage but less than the national median. That's reaching out to a whole new planet, mysterious and incomprehensible and whose orbit many members will never have glimpsed.
    One thing that people often don't take into account is how those student loan payments affect your ability to buy a house. Your net income is significantly reduced especially at higher incomes and that makes it harder for people to buy houses in affluent areas such as London as you say.

I said last night (and in 2017) that Corbynism feels like a middle class youth rebellion and I think tuition fees and housing unaffordability (in areas where young graduates gravitate to) is a huge part of it.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

A leader with a clear policy could have won this election, Defeat was far from inevitable, The SNP prove this.
    A clear Remain policy would have won this? The Lib Dems did terribly for a start. Perhaps you can argue that's FPTP.

A clear Leave policy might have worked - but I can't see any of the alternate Labour leaders from 2017 having gone for that.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Stocky said:

Marcus01 said:

A joyous morning.

I`m so relieved that the Corbyn danger has been averted.

Very sad to see LibDem result though. I feel so sorry for Swinson. Politics is brutal.
    Morning. I too feel relief above anything else, relief about Corbyn's demise more than BREXIT, although that too is obviously important. I cannot share your sorrow about Swansong, our LibDem PM in waiting. She was ridiculously out of her depth.

It'll be interesting to see where Labour and LibDems go now. Can I put a word in for Olney 😁
  • Options
    Those of you who followed my bet at 7/1 on the Skybet mixed combo - Cons Linc, DerbN, Dews, Wakefld & Wrex, SNP Stirling & LDs Rich Park - will find that's a winner!
  • Options

They only get to implement that if they win an election though! (Even if they do so as part of a coalition, that suggests they're within touching distance of being able to do so alone.) And if they can get a FPTP majority then they can actually implement their policies as they wish, rather than bending as a coalition requires.

It's a mistake to think Labour as we know it would be perpetually in government under PR, and most likely Labour would fracture into several parties in a PR system! (There's some fancy political science behind why PR supports more parties than FPTP, and Labour's internal coalition from working-class socialism to the "brahmins" would clearly be ripe for rupturing when there's a system both could compete independently in. FPTP enforces sticking together because you get punished if you try breaking out on your own.)
  • Options

Mr. NorthWales, he hasn't gone yet. Labour MPs need to wield the axe, and wield it soon.

The longer they leave it, the fainter the memory of this loss and the weaker the chance of getting a leader who isn't a far left loon.

Yes indeed. It was a long night !!
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2019

The fact it's a popular position within the Labour party has a lot to do with the fact young professional graduates make up a big chunk of the membership and it is, quite naturally, their concern - but that's not the same as figuring out what policy offering you need to attract, say, a twenty-something technician from Workington who did BTEC instead of A-levels and earns above minimum wage but less than the national median. That's reaching out to a whole new planet, mysterious and incomprehensible and whose orbit many members will never have glimpsed.

It's a popular policy though, that's my point. I get the criticisms of it - but what Labour needs to do is offer popular but not too radical policies. That is far as they can go - and I'm not even suggesting entirely scrapping them now. But doing something about them such as getting rid of the interest rate for example, would go a long way.

It's not that Labour can't be left wing - the Tories have gone to the left (we will see if they follow it through - I am not convinced) - but they just can't be too radical, that's all. A bit less radical than 2017 would be a good, popular manifesto.

I get the POV you're coming from re you don't like the policies - but for me I am arguing purely from the POV of winning. Dealing with tuition fees, the climate, the railways/public transport, housing, with a decent leader who doesn't have baggage, without Brexit, for me is a winning combination. These are all popular things, that whether you agree with them or not, are what Labour needs to offer to have some chance of winning.

I am not convinced that Blairism is going to win back those Northern seats. So there is work to be done there too - but I am not sure at present, what that is.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Oh, CHB, we've all been there. My first GE was 1992, I was convinced that Kinnock had it won. It was a shattering experience to get smacked in the face by reality. I'm no longer a Labour member, but I do not want the main UK opposition party to be in this state.

I've got huge time for Starmer as an actual grown up, in short supply in the Labour ranks at present. Someone else will emerge eventually. It might be a long road back, but I hope you can find your way back, as a party.

Labour needs more people like Starmer, Benn, Cooper, and the like; and could do with evicting Corbyn and every one of his mates.
This discussion has been closed.