Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s quitting but not quite yet as Blair’s old seat goes t

Comments

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Given Jezza's campaign trail, do we think Labour knew they were in for a shell-laking or they had no clue about anything?

Anecdotes on Twitter from 'sources' suggest they thought they'd done enough for a hung parliament.
    We were also informed by certain Labourites on here that Corbyn had some mystyical oracle MRP up his sleeve that was guiding him efficiently to the seats he needed to be in.

I think they were making it up as they were going along.
    Look forward to Dr Moderate’s next polling conspiracy in 2024
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Moran did well here on OxWAb. Undeserved. But she got the votes
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    MikeL said:

I can't get BBC website to load any individual seat results.

Good job there is a spreadsheet with them....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16BjKMutz0rNyU7jqyH-S0VTcYPwhp-fGD5z73s-5YoA
  • Options
    Labour deserves to lose this badly. The country did not deserve to have these conscienceless spivs inflicted on them for the foreseeable future. One more ratchet down in the spiral of decline.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

Her and Davey both relatively safe after tonight.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Given Jezza's campaign trail, do we think Labour knew they were in for a shell-laking or they had no clue about anything?

Anecdotes on Twitter from 'sources' suggest they thought they'd done enough for a hung parliament.
    Their antics did enough to scare the excrement out of us PB Tories, but little more...
  • Options

We were also informed by certain Labourites on here that Corbyn had some magical, super secret oracle MRP up his sleeve that was guiding him efficiently to the seats he needed to be in.

What happened to that guy who who used to post on here during the EdM years who claimed to be involved with Labour HQ and banged on all the time about "algorithms"? Was sure that 2015 was going to go Lab's way.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

We were also informed by certain Labourites on here that Corbyn had some magical, super secret oracle MRP up his sleeve that was guiding him efficiently to the seats he needed to be in.

What happened to that guy who who used to post on here during the EdM years who claimed to be involved with Labour HQ and banged on all the time about "algorithms"? Was sure that 2015 was going to go Lab's way.
    Well a random number generator is an algorithm....
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Do we know what the Sinn Fein total is going to be? I think's it's 7, but can't find the hard number.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019
    On a last note, Labour can't do the trick of simply uniting the left at least not outside of Scotland, they need Conservative votes.
    But which type of Conservative votes?
    The ones of Dominic Grieve or the ones like in Sunderland ?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

She should never have been allowed to stand again. The issue of domestic violence should have ended her career. I am ashamed to be represented by her
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760

Labour deserves to lose this badly. The country did not deserve to have these conscienceless spivs inflicted on them for the foreseeable future. One more ratchet down in the spiral of decline.

a very golf club post
    Essex is getting in to your soul
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited December 2019

kle4 said:

I would love to believe Boris has a plan to win over Scotland, draw it back from the brink of indy other than just saying no to them, and that that plan will work, but I cannot. He's proven me very wrong before, so I hope he will again.

What's he actually meant to do? The Unionist vote in Scotland is hopelessly split. If we somehow end up with Indyref2 *AND* the No campaign wins it again, Indyref3 will simply follow in a few years' time.

The Union is finished. It's done.
    The union has been finished since the Brexit vote. It’s an English nationalist project.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Osborne has made a good point...basically saying the country has found a way forward that MPs couldn't.
  • Options
    Curtice is still awake. :)
  • Options

Osborne has made a good point...basically saying the country has found a way forward that MPs couldn't.

By finding new MPs, lol.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290

MikeL said:

I can't get BBC website to load any individual seat results.

Good job there is a spreadsheet with them....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16BjKMutz0rNyU7jqyH-S0VTcYPwhp-fGD5z73s-5YoA
    Thanks!

BBC works through search, just not through map.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Not many interesting seats left. Cheltenham, St Ives, Colne Valley..
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

That must be a mark of extreme (electoral) political inexperience if so, given that they were said to have no shortage of people on the ground.
  • Options
    If Labour had voted for May's deal then the Conservatives would have ripped themselves apart and Corbyn would now be PM.

:lol:
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Still, things looking up for those taking foreign holidays.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited December 2019
    Blackford holds. Bugger. The mute button on my remote is nearly completely warn out. The bloody windbag.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Would I be right in thinking that the net change in London has been precisely zero? I'm sure I saw that both Villiers and IDS survived. That being the case, presumably the net result is a swap of Putney for Kensington, and Richmond Park for Carshalton? It's the most spectacular anti-climax on the part of the left parties.

Elsewhere, God-like Curtice vindicated again.
  • Options

They replaced the MP's, simple.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    pbuh
  • Options

If Labour had voted for May's deal then the Conservatives would have ripped themselves apart and Corbyn would now be PM.

:lol:

Or even abstained on it, which I thought would be the smart thing to do.
  • Options

Blackford holds. Bugger. The mute button on my remote is nearly completely warn out. The bloody windbag.

The new Speaker will not indulge him do readily
  • Options

kle4 said:

I would love to believe Boris has a plan to win over Scotland, draw it back from the brink of indy other than just saying no to them, and that that plan will work, but I cannot. He's proven me very wrong before, so I hope he will again.

What's he actually meant to do? The Unionist vote in Scotland is hopelessly split. If we somehow end up with Indyref2 *AND* the No campaign wins it again, Indyref3 will simply follow in a few years' time.

Indeed... so he should end it on English terms
  • Options
    Tory / Lab - 44%/32%

Old adage, take the best Tory, worst Labour in the polls.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The union has been finished since the Brexit vote. It’s an English nationalist project.
    2014 YES 45%
    2019 SNP 45%

No movement in 5 years.
  • Options

A decent new speaker to look forward to as well.
  • Options

Tory / Lab - 44%/32%

Hm, looks like a hung parliament to me.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,799
    Chipping Barnet:

Con 25,745
    Lab 24,533
    LD 5,932
    Grn 1,288
    AT 71

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000636

Hastings & Rye:

Con 26,896
    Lab 22,853
    LD 3,960
    Ind 565

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000735
  • Options
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

kle4 said:

Famously Quebec separated from Canada after the 5th referendum.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

Tory / Lab - 44%/32%

Will be interesting to find out what the Tories thought the lead was yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if there was on the day "swing-back", making it 12% rather than 10% and that pushes lots of seats the Tories way in a domino effect.
  • Options
    Exit poll off by four seats. Not too shabby.
  • Options

A decent new speaker to look forward to as well.
    Great night.
  • Options
    Peston losing it.
  • Options
    In other news anyone remember this story from six weeks back ?

Pigs in blankets and other festive meal treats might be in short supply this Christmas, the British Meat Processors Association has warned.

It says 60% of the labour force in UK meat plants comes from other countries and the industry is not attracting enough seasonal EU workers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50205951

I ask because Morissons are now offering the new culinary delight of 'Pigs in Blankets Butty' in their Barista Bars.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    And settle down to enjoy the entirely unnecessary economic damage and isolation Britain is volunteering for with no compensating benefits.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Wales voted to Leave.

But this is a sterile argument that's been had a million times. We are where we are.

My real concern regarding the Union with Scotland is what happens if we do have one - or more - repetitions of the failed first referendum, and it becomes obvious that the independence movement is simultaneously too strong to be denied power in Edinburgh and too weak to get what it wants. We could be going round in circles on this matter indefinitely.

That's no good for Scotland - but it's no good for the rest of us, either.
  • Options
    Chris said:

That must be a mark of extreme (electoral) political inexperience if so, given that they were said to have no shortage of people on the ground.
    What evidence is their that Labour had any serious knowledge at the centre of how to fight a national campaign. Milne is hardly going to have learnt much from his studies of North Korea?
  • Options
    One of the best results thinking about it is Burnley going Tory, on the same night the remain dream died. I’d love to see the look on Alastair Campbell’s face!
  • Options
    Well that's the end of the George and Ed show....time to turn that off when Piers Morgan comes on.
  • Options

Peston losing it.

The public is in mood for major reforms.

But I suspect that the Gina Milner team will be the first to feel them, with Media reform and Court reform to defang the tools she used.
  • Options

RobD said:

Tory / Lab - 44%/32%

Will be interesting to find out what the Tories thought the lead was yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if there was on the day "swing-back", making it 12% rather than 10% and that pushes lots of seats the Tories way in a domino effect.
    ICM must be seriously considering exiting the U.K. political polling market.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Wales voted to Leave.

But this is a sterile argument that's been had a million times. We are where we are.

My real concern regarding the Union with Scotland is what happens if we do have one - or more - repetitions of the failed first referendum, and it becomes obvious that the independence movement is simultaneously too strong to be denied power in Edinburgh and too weak to get what it wants. We could be going round in circles on this matter indefinitely.

Just think of the betting opportunities!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Wales voted to Leave.

Remember those polls about the prices Leavers were willing to pay? They were cool with chucking Northern Ireland to the wolves. They were cool with jettisoning Scotland. They were cool with a serious economic downturn.

And everyone said: “oh, they don’t really mean it.” And now they’ve just voted for all of it.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

She should never have been allowed to stand again. The issue of domestic violence should have ended her career. I am ashamed to be represented by her
    People are talking her up for the leadership. But I honestly think that will hang over her. Had it been a man, her career would be finished after being arrested for physically assaulting her partner. There's a moral clarity to the argument "if you're all about equality, why doesn't that apply to women too?" Obviously there are nuances about the individual situation (there was no prosecution, although she struck him first she claims she was in fear that he might have hit her) and whether male-female violence is asymmetric (males physically stronger, more likely to kill partners etc). But even if anyone thinks those nuances are worth making, as soon as you have to start out by defending that kind of thing then you're losing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-47686844

Wouldn't entirely surprise me given the poor judgement LDs have shown in leadership selection if they end up picking her for leader because she appeals to something in their downhearted activists, and the ONE THING that the general public will "know"/think about her is that she's "a hypocritical domestic abuser" (I think senior politicians get at most 3-5 THINGS that the public know about them, but if you're leader of the Lib Dems and they're on less-seats-than-you-can-count-on-fingers-and-toes, then you'll largely have to make do with the one) and it cocks up their next election as well.
  • Options
    Is there no prospect of any seats not being declared until mid afternoon? (other than Orkney’s)
  • Options
    Does anyone know who the Remainer who wanted to void this election was ?

As per Jolyon Maugham tweet.
  • Options
    BTW, North Norfolk went Tory (and with a massive majority of over 14,000.) I feel vindicated :smile:
  • Options
    Brom said:

One of the best results thinking about it is Burnley going Tory, on the same night the remain dream died. I’d love to see the look on Alastair Campbell’s face!

Burnley had been Labour since WWI.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Wales voted to Leave.

Remember those polls about the prices Leavers were willing to pay? They were cool with chucking Northern Ireland to the wolves. They were cool with jettisoning Scotland. They were cool with a serious economic downturn.

And everyone said: “oh, they don’t really mean it.” And now they’ve just voted for all of it.
    We meant it. No Deal with Scotland.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Wales voted to Leave.

I quess the same that happened to the Bloc Quebeqois.
    They lost 2 referendums in the 1990's, they still dominated Quebec for 20 years until people got bored with Quebec independence.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

BTW, North Norfolk went Tory (and with a massive majority of over 14,000.) I feel vindicated :smile:

I shouldn't have doubted you
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Election shows are ending but I'll wait for Cheltenham.

St Ives doesn't look like declaring any time soon as a box is stuck in Scilly.
  • Options
    Brillo has one of those momentum idiots on BBC1, and is having the time of his life.
  • Options
    Brom said:

That was a terrible result for the old Lib Dem MP.
  • Options
    11 seats to come:

St Ives
    Devon W
    Dorset N
    Arundel
    Horsham
    Croydon N
    Croydon S
    Cheltenham
    Northamptonshire S
    Orkney
    Fermanagh
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760

In other news anyone remember this story from six weeks back ?

Pigs in blankets and other festive meal treats might be in short supply this Christmas, the British Meat Processors Association has warned.

It says 60% of the labour force in UK meat plants comes from other countries and the industry is not attracting enough seasonal EU workers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50205951

I ask because Morissons are now offering the new culinary delight of 'Pigs in Blankets Butty' in their Barista Bars.

I suppose its too much to hope the endless bollocks of fear ramping by remainers might end.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,914

Peston losing it.

Still? I've been reading the threads after getting back from the counts and he was doing that 6 hours ago!
  • Options

RobD said:
    And settle down to enjoy the entirely unnecessary economic damage and isolation Britain is volunteering for with no compensating benefits.
    Let's just hope that once Brexit is "done" in January, Johnson perceives his self-interest to lie in ditching the nutters and negotiating a future relationship that limits the damage.

At least we know he won't let principle stand in his way.
  • Options

Well that's the end of the George and Ed show....time to turn that off when Piers Morgan comes on.

Its odd how much more likeable politicians become when they stop being politicians.
  • Options

Goodness me.

I suppose that, at the end of the night and after all the talk of Portillo moments, it's kind of fitting that the decapitee turned out to be the leader of the Revoke Party. And now the Liberal Democrats are projected to end up with one seat fewer than they won in 2017 - and Tim Farron is the last survivor in the country between Oxford and Edinburgh. Where they're meant to go from here, who knows?

Wooden-headed Labour looks at imminent risk of going to war with itself, as the Momentum wing tries to buy time to push Corbyn Mk2 upon what's left of the PLP, and upon the nation.

Meanwhile, Boris Johnson wins an immense landslide victory in England, Nicola Sturgeon does likewise in Scotland, and the breakup of Britain once again looms upon the horizon.

Where will we find ourselves by 2024, I wonder?

Goodness me.

I suppose that, at the end of the night and after all the talk of Portillo moments, it's kind of fitting that the decapitee turned out to be the leader of the Revoke Party. And now the Liberal Democrats are projected to end up with one seat fewer than they won in 2017 - and Tim Farron is the last survivor in the country between Oxford and Edinburgh. Where they're meant to go from here, who knows?

Wooden-headed Labour looks at imminent risk of going to war with itself, as the Momentum wing tries to buy time to push Corbyn Mk2 upon what's left of the PLP, and upon the nation.

Meanwhile, Boris Johnson wins an immense landslide victory in England, Nicola Sturgeon does likewise in Scotland, and the breakup of Britain once again looms upon the horizon.

Where will we find ourselves by 2024, I wonder?

Another referendum in Scotland will follow what Sturgeon tried to inflict on the UK.

Ref 1 Leave or Remain Ref 2 Leave or Remain based in the crap deal she will get from the UK.

What goes around tends to come around.
  • Options
    Artist said:

It is not many elections ago when Cheltenham was one of the first seats to declare...
  • Options
    Do we have a scorecard for the Mike Smithson letters ?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Just looking at the vote swings. People were worried Tories not doing very well in Midlands, especially West Midlands, they absolutely smashed it there.
  • Options
    Who said it was going to be 1987?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    LDs will end one down on 11 if they win Orkney but don't gain Cheltenham / St Ives
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,914
    I see Lab have crossed 200, which is a shame. I didn't want a Tory huge majority, but given Boris has gotten a comfortable one anyway there would have been something very hard hitting about hitting the exit poll number.
  • Options

Its odd how much more likeable politicians become when they stop being politicians.
    What I liked was they kept the partisan stuff to a minimum. There was valid criticism, without just tub-thumping my team is better than your team nonsense.
  • Options
    Croydon North is a Labour hold as expected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000655
  • Options
    Turn Out - Change since 2017: -1.5
  • Options
    Chris said:

RobD said:
    Let's just hope that once Brexit is "done" in January, Johnson perceives his self-interest to lie in ditching the nutters and negotiating a future relationship that limits the damage.

At least we know he won't let principle stand in his way.
    Do we know how many new Conservative MPs are ERG fodder?
  • Options

Artist said:

It is not many elections ago when Cheltenham was one of the first seats to declare...
    True. I think it must be incredibly close there between the LDs and Con.
  • Options

Surge!
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Who said it was going to be 1987?

Boris did better than Thatcher, Corbyn did better than Kinnock.
    Same lead as 1987.
    The SNP block just made it smaller in terms of seats for both.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Wales voted to Leave.

FWIW, something like 45% of the population in both Northern Ireland and Scotland already wanted rid of the Union *BEFORE* the 2016 EU referendum was held. And that's OK. That's their right and they can articulate good reasons for adopting that stance.

However, I'm afraid that expecting the English and Welsh voter to respond to that stance with tremulous fear and wailing over the break-up of Britain may be asking a bit much. Please explain to said voter why, if so many of the Scots and Northern Irish want a divorce, they ought to care that much about preventing it?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Did the Greens set up any plausible targets? Any double-digit rises or 20%+ results?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Surge!
    To the bar for the Christmas do.
  • Options
    Labour are on course to get roughly the same percentage of seats as their share of the vote. FPTP is going nowhere.
  • Options
    The exit poll in Scotland wasn't quite as good as elsewhere. It was predicting a LD wipeout but they've held Edinburgh West, NE Fife and just now Orkney & Shetland:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/S14000051
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Did the Greens set up any plausible targets? Any double-digit rises or 20%+ results?

They even fell in the Isle of Wight.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

11 seats to come:

St Ives
    Devon W
    Dorset N
    Arundel
    Horsham
    Croydon N
    Croydon S
    Cheltenham
    Northamptonshire S
    Orkney
    Fermanagh

Cheltenham sounds like Tories have a big enough lead barring something unlikely in recount
  • Options
    Oh dear one of my Facebook friends has just posted the Steve Coogan quote.
  • Options
    So how many views did the Andrew Neil tweet get in the end ?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    speedy2 said:

Peston losing it.

The public is in mood for major reforms.

But I suspect that the Gina Milner team will be the first to feel them, with Media reform and Court reform to defang the tools she used.
    I think if people are fantasising about 1984 arriving just 35 years late, they may find Boris Johnson a disappointment. That's not the way to make people love you.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited December 2019
    Not quite as bad as predicted....but bad enough...

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1205367771523158016?s=20
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

Famously Quebec separated from Canada after the 5th referendum.
    Do we seriously think that the SNP is going to collapse in a heap if it fights a second referendum and loses?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Wales voted to Leave.

FWIW, something like 45% of the population in both Northern Ireland and Scotland already wanted rid of the Union *BEFORE* the 2016 EU referendum was held. And that's OK. That's their right and they can articulate good reasons for adopting that stance.

However, I'm afraid that expecting the English and Welsh voter to respond to that stance with tremulous fear and wailing over the break-up of Britain may be asking a bit much. Please explain to said voter why, if so many of the Scots and Northern Irish want a divorce, they ought to care that much about preventing it?
    The English have decided that they don’t care about being British. They want to pursue English nationalism. That is a choice. They could have prioritised the union. They decided that becoming a closed-minded country fearful of the necessary compromises of the 21st century was more important. So be it.
  • Options

How many more than votes Labour received?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

My guess 10 million views, all Labour voters but no one else.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,366

Oh dear one of my Facebook friends has just posted the Steve Coogan quote.

Which was???
This discussion has been closed.