Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters on CON & the LDs are more bullish than the MRP project

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    Henrietta said:

MattW said:

eek said:

Nice to see the Time Person Of The Year go to an exceptionally deserving winner.

Baby Yoda?
    Next year - this year it's Greta Thunberg

I can understand that as it goes to the most prominent not the most deserving.
    Times change, though. They gave it to Hitler in 1938 but I doubt they ever considered Osama bin Laden.
    Fair point, though they gave it to the Ayatollah in 1979.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited December 2019
    I wouldn't put it past Corbyn & co to legislate against the free press and start getting newspapers they don't like shut down. The Mail and the Sun being the first two. Seriously, I think they are that mad and that dangerous. If they will consider seizing private property because it's not used in a way they consider to be for the 'public good', what next?

Getting into power will embolden them to be far more radical than even their mind boggling manifesto suggests. Moving money offshore is not as stupid as it sounds, nor is selling off stocks and shares.

I'm genuinely worried about assets and money if Labour win. I wouldn't be that surprised if they started freezing bank accounts of anyone earning over a certain amount of money and redistributing it to other more worthy demographics.

People may scoff at these suggestions, but just remember not so long ago Corbyn was praising an economic model based in Third World Venezuela, a country that is encountering inflation rates of millions of per cent and endures genuine wide scale poverty probably never seen in this country.

It should terrify the living daylights out of every single rational person in this country, but alas, here we are, Jeremy Corbyn could be on the verge of being our PM.

We have fallen a very long way indeed that that statement is even remotely possible.

• Options

HaroldO said:

A Tory activist was sprayed with perfume in today

The activist is not thought to be hurt

But smelling nice

A Tory activist was sprayed with perfume in today

The activist is not thought to be hurt

But smelling nice
    Regardless of the liquid it’s still an assault and designed to shock and demoralise.
    If you are looking for someone who has broken the law today look no further than the Minister for Tory Propaganda @bbclaurak

She just told 2 million viewers postal votes are grim for Labour

Section 66 of the 1983 Representation of the People Act forbids "any statement relating to the way in which voters have voted at the election" before polls close.

The maximum punishment for breaking the law is six months' imprisonment or a fine of £5,000.
    Got it.

Assaults are fine as long as they’re committed by my side.
    No spraying perfume is not an assault as far as I know otherwise Mrs BJ breaks the law every morning. Actually it is if you know the person you are spraying has an allergy to it. Not the case here

Reporting postal votes is.
    You've conflated spraying perfume on your own person to spraying perfume in a stranger's face there. Just to let you know.
    BJO is in full partisan election mode now.

Doesn’t give a shit about assault - just wants his side to win and to damage the other.
    Whilst I agree he is in partisan mode so are you. The latest reports are that this is not a politically motivated attack. So not committed by his side as you suggested and havent withdrawn unless I am mistaken?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Been out on the final canvass of the long, long campaign. Missed much today?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    kle4 said:

Corbyn cancels going to Ashfield, not welcome in the Red Wall seats.

I can believe it - it should hold without him, but with him it becomes weaker.
    Or given them up...
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

As I have repeatedly said, a Conservative majority of at least 80 and probably between 1983 and 1987.

I thank you all. And thank goodness there's only a day and a half before you recognise my brilliance.

I recognise it now sir, but I think you'll still be very wrong.
    I am with RCS.

I think a lot of the country does not want a further 5 years of weak governments and fudge.

They just want things to be done and Brexit over with and that means voting Tory.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

How was it? ;)
  • Options

And how was it ?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    Jason said:

I wouldn't put it past Corbyn & co to legislate against the free press and start getting newspapers they don't like shut down. The Mail and the Sun being the first two. Seriously, I think they are that mad and that dangerous. If they will consider seizing private property because it's not used in a way they consider to be for the 'public good', what next?

Getting into power will embolden them to be far more radical than even their mind boggling manifesto suggests. Moving money offshore is not as stupid as it sounds, nor is selling off stocks and shares.

I'm genuinely worried about assets and money if Labour win. I wouldn't be that surprised if they started freezing bank accounts of anyone earning over a certain amount of money and redistributing it to other more worthy demographics.

People may scoff at these suggestions, but just remember not so long ago Corbyn was praising an economic model based in Third World Venezuela, a country that is encountering inflation rates of millions of per cent and endures genuine wide scale poverty probably never seen in this country.

It should terrify the living daylights out of every single rational person in this country, but alas, here we are, Jeremy Corbyn could be on the verge of being our PM.

We have fallen a very long way indeed that that statement is even remotely possible.

Whatever drugs you are on they seem to be good...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    kle4 said:

Corbyn cancels going to Ashfield, not welcome in the Red Wall seats.

I can believe it - it should hold without him, but with him it becomes weaker.
    We can say with some confidence that Ashfield is gone.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

And how was it ?
    Mr Mark does a Herdson??
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019

MRP seems to show BXP romping in Barnsley. If you added BXP and the Tories together Labour would be in trouble in both seats.

I can’t work out though if the Tories would be doing much better if they weren’t standing.

I do think that in the Northern seats BXP standing is more of a help to the Tories than a hindrance. Many of those voters will simply never vote for a Tory but they will take their votes away from Labour if there is an alternative
    Exactly.

It's pretty obvious from the MRPs and constituency polls that the effect of the BXP standing is to reduce the large Labour majorities in these seats down to within striking distance of the Tory share. On their own the Tories would have no right to expect these to be close.

Which is why attacking the BXP vote is wrong-headed, it'll simply go back to Labour. Anyone still intending to vote BXP is unlikely to be particularly sympathetic to voting Conservative. The Ashcroft poll showed over half had zero interest in ticking the Tory box.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Same old same old
  • Options
    melcfmelcf Posts: 166
    So, at the end of this election campaign, Bojo isn't exactly a messiah for the Tories, as hoped. If he could only barely muster a 10-20 seat difference, compared to 2017. Definitely didn't come across as charismatic or someone with a magnetic personality.
    Despite having the whole 'leave' vote for himself, a much villified Corbyn as an opponent and backing of the establishment. He still comes across as pretty mediocre. An Etonian, who claims to be a skilled debater, barely drew with a jaded Corbyn in most debates. Besides fleeing from one with Andrew Neil.
    Like a true sociopath, he does seem to be a genius in stirring the pot though. Which is identifying what really grinds people's gears and playing on those insecurities. In this case it's xenophobia, fear of being swamped by immigrants and the most trending one, Islamophobia. Besides this skill, he has nothing much to offer and was least bothered to even show mock empathy towards a sick child. Some leader, eh
  • Options

MrEd said:

Adding to the election anecdotes...

1. Friend who lives in Bolsover, very left wing and was right in 2017 when she said Skinner would hold on comfortably. Now leaning to the Tories winning it, says the only people in the town centre have been the Brexit party, Labour not much. For the first time, she will not vote Labour as she thinks Corbyn is an anti-semite.

2. In the swimming changing rooms, overheard a conversation between three typically North London well-spoken older chaps who live in Hampstead and Kilburn. All declared themselves suitably left wing. I guess Channel 4 did a programme last night that was damning on Tulip Siddiqi and her links with Bangladesh. What surprised me was the vehemence against her by all three. One called her "evil", another one pointed out how she had failed to help in a deportation case of a Japanese national. Now, not much of a point I know but I am guessing a fair few people in H&K saw that programme and I do wonder whether she is safe. Anyway, had a nibble at the LDs winning the seat.

3. I wonder whether the Ed Balls moment of this night might be Ed Miliband losing his seat. Look at the stats. More than 70% leave and very heavily white. Tories at 10.5 on Betfair.

Mr Ed was the name of a very good racehorse. I knew the owner. Are you by any chance related? (To the owner, that is, not the horse.)
    Neeeeiggghhhhh.....(sorry couldn't resist)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

As I have repeatedly said, a Conservative majority of at least 80 and probably between 1983 and 1987.

I thank you all. And thank goodness there's only a day and a half before you recognise my brilliance.

I am with RCS.

I think a lot of the country does not want a further 5 years of weak governments and fudge.

They just want things to be done and Brexit over with and that means voting Tory.
    LOL, are you a comedian to trade
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

I am with RCS.

Voting for somone just to avoid a hung parliament is a very very dngers road to go down.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Jason said:

Boris Johnson threatens the TV licence when interviews done go his way.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

MRP seems to show BXP romping in Barnsley. If you added BXP and the Tories together Labour would be in trouble in both seats.

I can’t work out though if the Tories would be doing much better if they weren’t standing.

I do think that in the Northern seats BXP standing is more of a help to the Tories than a hindrance. Many of those voters will simply never vote for a Tory but they will take their votes away from Labour if there is an alternative
    Exactly,

It's pretty obvious from the MRPs and constituency polls that the effect of the BXP standing is to reduce the large Labour majorities in these seats down to within striking distance of the Tory share. On their own the Tories would have no right to expect these to be close.

Which is why attacking the BXP vote is wrong-headed, it'll simply go back to Labour. Anyone still intending to vote BXP is unlikely to be particularly sympathetic to voting Conservative. The Ashcroft poll showed over half had zero interest in ticking the Tory box.
    Attacking it isn't wrong headed. Some may listen and switch to Tory and the nevertories will be glad their party is anti Tory enough so won't need to go back to Labour.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Same old same old
    With me too!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    Jason said:

I wouldn't put it past Corbyn & co to legislate against the free press and start getting newspapers they don't like shut down. ....

I wouldn't put it past Corbyn to order the killing of tories' new born children.
  • Options
    melcf said:

So, at the end of this election campaign, Bojo isn't exactly a messiah for the Tories, as hoped. If he could only barely muster a 10-20 seat difference, compared to 2017. Definitely didn't come across as charismatic or someone with a magnetic personality.
    Despite having the whole 'leave' vote for himself, a much villified Corbyn as an opponent and backing of the establishment. He still comes across as pretty mediocre. An Etonian, who claims to be a skilled debater, barely drew with a jaded Corbyn in most debates. Besides fleeing from one with Andrew Neil.
    Like a true sociopath, he does seem to be a genius in stirring the pot though. Which is identifying what really grinds people's gears and playing on those insecurities. In this case it's xenophobia, fear of being swamped by immigrants and the most trending one, Islamophobia. Besides this skill, he has nothing much to offer and was least bothered to even show mock empathy towards a sick child. Some leader, eh

And now can we have a fair assessment of Corbyn, just for balance
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    melcf said:

So, at the end of this election campaign, Bojo isn't exactly a messiah for the Tories, as hoped. If he could only barely muster a 10-20 seat difference, compared to 2017.

We haven't actually had the result yet? ;)
  • Options
    funkhauserfunkhauser Posts: 325
    edited December 2019

eek said:

Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, has been recorded telling a private meeting that the EU would not be able to conclude a full trade negotiation with the EU by the end of next year, as Boris Johnson claims. As the Independent reports in its scoop, Barnier said:

"It is unrealistic that a global negotiation can be done in 11 months, so we can’t do it all. We will do all we can to get what I call the ‘vital minimum’ to establish a relationship with the UK if that is the time scale."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/dec/11/general-election-poll-suggests-tory-lead-narrows-as-campaign-enters-last-day-live

Although this will be seized upon as evidence that Boris is out with the fairies in saying a deal can be done by the end of the year (which he is), it does suggest that the EU might be amenable to a face-saving fudge, whereby there's a minimal trade deal combined with an extension of the transitional arrangements for everything else - i.e. effectively an extension of the transition but not actually called that.

We can but hope!

Of course we can get a deal done in 12 months, it will just not be a good deal for the UK. The EU know we are desperate to get it done quickly and will obviously leverage that. Im sure the EU could put together a deal they would be happy to sign in less than a week if we were stupid enough to take it.

Trade deals have taken a long time historically because both parties have a status quo baseline and have to protect and manage the interests of their economies and industries from the changes the trade deal brings.

This negotiation will be very different, with the UK rejecting the status quo in advance, and we are back to impact of no deal is bigger on the UK than the EU so the EU will again have all the leverage.
    Stupid question

Why would both sides not just say "no tariffs, on anything"

end of

?
    Because the UK will not agree to a level playing field and the EU will demand that for no tariffs on anything.
    THE EU won't accept a tariff free deal without free movement amongst other things.

And Boris can't offer free movement because he wants control of immigration.

If you really think Brexit is finished when we leave you are in for a big surprise - it hasn't really started yet and only starts when we are on the back foot..

So you know that as a fact,how long have you been working in Barnier's team?
    It's a blinding glimpse of the obvious, isn't it?

Wow,another expert that knows the exact details of the future EU trade deal.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

I am with RCS.

LOL, are you a comedian to trade
    A very bad one, I know.

How many seats do you think the SNP will win?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

I am with RCS.

Voting for somone just to avoid a hung parliament is a very very dngers road to go down.
    I agree but then in 2017 a lot of people probably voted anyone but Tory just to ensure TMay did not have a large majority. It works both ways.
  • Options

Very quiet day compared to many.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Would you believe my broadband has just died and can't be repaired until Friday. So just the poxy mobile phone until a minihub arrives by courier tomorrow, when I will almost certainly be out. On election eve. How unlucky is that.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Would you believe my broadband has just died and can't be repaired until Friday. So just the poxy mobile phone until a minihub arrives by courier tomorrow, when I will almost certainly be out. On election eve. How unlucky is that.

Hotspot with your phone? :open_mouth:

My condolences, however.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Jason said:

EPG said:

Jason said:

Some folk are clutching at straws regarding the oldies not voting in bad weather. They're made of sterner stuff than the 18-24 yr old bracket I can absolutely guarantee you.

That's not in dispute; turnout is always higher among 65+. The only thing that matters is the elasticity of that turnout with regard to weather. If 65+ are _disproportionately_ likely to vote in fine weather, then bad weather is better for parties relying on younger voters (and vice versa). Because the baseline is real elections held during summers and not the average opinion across the age groups, all that matters is the elasticity. For example, maybe the pre-family age cohort has a low turnout, but the ones who do vote are the opinionated ones who will definitely go out, and furthermore they happen to have their original hips and fall victim to the 'flu less often. It's not clear how you empirically test the hypothesis.
    That sounds like a lot of bs to be honest.
    Then I suggest you do a basic course in numeracy. It makes complete sense.
  • Options

eek said:

Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, has been recorded telling a private meeting that the EU would not be able to conclude a full trade negotiation with the EU by the end of next year, as Boris Johnson claims. As the Independent reports in its scoop, Barnier said:

"It is unrealistic that a global negotiation can be done in 11 months, so we can’t do it all. We will do all we can to get what I call the ‘vital minimum’ to establish a relationship with the UK if that is the time scale."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/dec/11/general-election-poll-suggests-tory-lead-narrows-as-campaign-enters-last-day-live

Although this will be seized upon as evidence that Boris is out with the fairies in saying a deal can be done by the end of the year (which he is), it does suggest that the EU might be amenable to a face-saving fudge, whereby there's a minimal trade deal combined with an extension of the transitional arrangements for everything else - i.e. effectively an extension of the transition but not actually called that.

We can but hope!

Of course we can get a deal done in 12 months, it will just not be a good deal for the UK. The EU know we are desperate to get it done quickly and will obviously leverage that. Im sure the EU could put together a deal they would be happy to sign in less than a week if we were stupid enough to take it.

Trade deals have tags.

This negotiation will be very different, with the UK rejecting the status quo in advance, and we are back to impact of no deal is bigger on the UK than the EU so the EU will again have all the leverage.
    Stupid question

end of

?
    Because the UK will not agree to a level playing field and the EU will demand that for no tariffs on anything.
    THE EU won't accept a tariff free deal without free movement amongst other things.

If you really think Brexit is finished when we leave you are in for a big surprise - it hasn't really started yet and only starts when we are on the back foot..

Another expert.
    This site's full of them.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If only we had a nationalised broadband service!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Good job you aren't on Commie Cable Co, will have to wait at least a month for anybody gets to you.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    IanB2 said:

It's a sign! (I don't know what it means though).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Don’t worry if Jezza wins I’m sure the Victory Broadband Committee will be around to give you your state sponsored free internet if your minihub doesn’t arrive..
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    eristdoof said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

I am with RCS.

'Large majorities do not ... make for good government'.

Francis Pym, Tory MP, 1983 I think.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019

IanB2 said:

Don’t worry if Jezza wins I’m sure the Victory Broadband Committee will be around to give you your state sponsored free internet if your minihub doesn’t arrive..
    First they have to arrange a committee meeting of the branch local, debate it, vote on it...put in the work order. And perhaps in a few weeks, somebody will be around.
  • Options

eek said:

We can but hope!

Trade deals have taken a long time historically because both parties have a status quo baseline and have to protect and manage the interests of their economies and industries from the changes the trade deal brings.

Stupid question

end of

?

Wow,another expert that knows the exact details of the future EU trade deal.
    Experts tend to know things. Good people to listen to.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the exit poll? 🤪
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Jonathan said:

Yes, but if I told you, I would have to kill you.

I bet that tw@t off twitter that was leaking the MRP hours in advance is totally frozen out tomorrow of any info from all sources.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Yes but shh I’m not allowed to tell anyone
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    edited December 2019

Jonathan said:

I bet that tw@t off twitter that was leaking the MRP hours in advance is totally frozen out tomorrow.
    Duplicates!
  • Options
    This is first election night since 2001 when I am not working on coverage or at a count. Not sure what to do.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

Bizarrely having been told by BT that it would be out of action until the engineer arrives, the guy phones back to say it’s working again (which it is), but might die again at any moment. Or come and go as it feels like.

So my election night comes with added suspense.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

HaroldO said:

eek said:

Has @bbclaurak broken the law by telling 2 million viewers the postal votes are grim for Labour in huge swathes of the country?

Yes because the votes should not have been seen.

Mind you does it get Labour votes out tomorrow and / or keep Tory "voters" from voting
    Pretty sure party officials watch the opening and counting of postal votes.
    If they do they should be stopped. I think postal voting should be stopped except in extreme or exceptional cases.
    Couldn'y it be argued that postal voting a kind of infringement of the principle of a secret ballot?
    That is why the law is that papers must be kept face down. The purpose of the verification is to confirm that the identity and signatures of the postal voter tally up with their application, and that the paper returned is the one that was sent, and clearly if you catch a glimpse of the ballot paper then that person’s vote isn’t secret. Any responsible ERO (and most are very responsible) should do what he or she can to make sure papers are kept face down. So as a scrutineer your only chance is to catch a glimpse of a paper as it is being taken out of the envelope. Most people fold their papers over with the printed side inside, but occasionally someone folds it the other way so you might see the odd one, if you get a council staff member who is a little clumsy or slow. But they are supposed to stop the scrutineers seeing the face of the ballot papers, and most do.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    I've added the electorate data (from 519 constituencies so far) to the candidates spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K-ABf5qs4zTFzHv6koLY0mEJyGi2VGWF4sWswDmJquk/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Jason said:

Get a life complete bollocks I wouldn’t vote for him but these ludicrous stories about the Marxist future are bloody ridiculous, argue on the facts not on the hypothetical otherwise you are a pathetic troll
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

MrEd said:

Adding to the election anecdotes...

1. Friend who lives in Bolsover, very left wing and was right in 2017 when she said Skinner would hold on comfortably. Now leaning to the Tories winning it, says the only people in the town centre have been the Brexit party, Labour not much. For the first time, she will not vote Labour as she thinks Corbyn is an anti-semite.

2. In the swimming changing rooms, overheard a conversation between three typically North London well-spoken older chaps who live in Hampstead and Kilburn. All declared themselves suitably left wing. I guess Channel 4 did a programme last night that was damning on Tulip Siddiqi and her links with Bangladesh. What surprised me was the vehemence against her by all three. One called her "evil", another one pointed out how she had failed to help in a deportation case of a Japanese national. Now, not much of a point I know but I am guessing a fair few people in H&K saw that programme and I do wonder whether she is safe. Anyway, had a nibble at the LDs winning the seat.

3. I wonder whether the Ed Balls moment of this night might be Ed Miliband losing his seat. Look at the stats. More than 70% leave and very heavily white. Tories at 10.5 on Betfair.

Mr Ed was the name of a very good racehorse. I knew the owner. Are you by any chance related? (To the owner, that is, not the horse.)
    Mr Ed is also the nickname of Ed Smith - chairman of the England cricket selectors - across the county circuit. This is because he makes as much sense as a talking horse.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,996
    BMG in the independent is 41/32/14 no further details
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,996
    Tories likely to win small majority at election but hung parliament still possible, poll finds https://t.co/y0DUvQBj8M
  • Options
    edited December 2019

No change, or is it the old poll? :)
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Another poll with Labour in the low 30s. But still same gap.

This is the big unknown...Are Labour 32-33 or 35-36.
  • Options
    New poll! No change wrt their poll from 4/12-6/12.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

And how was it ?
    We will be fine in Totnes and South Devon. We have lost some blues over Brexit, some over Boris. And we've gained some blues over Brexit and Boris. Met a guy today who was sixty - had never voted in an election before in his life, but tomorrow he'll be out putting his cross against the Conservative candidate. Those who voted for Brexit are still as angry about it being thwarted as they were at the start of the campaign. And locally, there is still a huge amount of anger at Sarah Wollaston. I have heard a wide selection of choice epithets hurled in her direction. Brixham (where I spent today) is especially vocal. And it has twice the votes of Totnes town.

Her majority last time as a Conservative was 13,500. In the 2019 sweep stake I have gone for a Conservative majority of 8,888. There is considerable confusion still as to which way to vote tactically in this seat. The LibDdem vote was half the Labour vote last time. Labour have been gleefully pointing out her voting record on everything except Brexit - the only glue she has that sticks her to the LibDems.
  • Options
    I have a question...Do we know...

Is it better or no difference in terms of seats for Tories to win by 9, but it is say 41/32 vs 45/36 ?
  • Options
    melcf said:

Boris didn't think he would be competing with Father Christmas.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    IanB2 said:

Can you access the WiFi of a neighbour? Ask for their WiFi password?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

Is it better or no difference in terms of seats for Tories to win by 9, but it is say 41/32 vs 45/36 ?

There are a lot fewer anti-Tory tactical votes if it is 45/36.
  • Options
    Anecdote alert: the guy at BT is voting Labour
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    EPG said:

My initial thought was if it is 41/32, that means a high Lib Dem vote and that would be one of two things. Either more seats where Remain is split letting Tories come through the middle, but could also be there are southern seats where Tories lose due to higher Lib Dem vote.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Which poll has 45/36
  • Options

EPG said:

Which poll has 45/36
    I don't think any does, it was just a hypothetical.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

EPG said:

Which poll has 45/36
    None as far as I know, but I was taking the best Tory figure and the best Labour figure as a hypothetical.

I should remind people that conventional wisdom upto 2017 was the opposite, take the best Tory figure and worst Labour figure. Which I think excluding a couple of extrema is ~ 43/32.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Can you access the WiFi of a neighbour? Ask for their WiFi password?
    No, I am half way up a hill looking out to sea, and there aren’t any other signals that reach my house.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

And how was it ?
    We will be fine in Totnes and South Devon. We have lost some blues over Brexit, some over Boris. And we've gained some blues over Brexit and Boris. Met a guy today who was sixty - had never voted in an election before in his life, but tomorrow he'll be out putting his cross against the Conservative candidate. Those who voted for Brexit are still as angry about it being thwarted as they were at the start of the campaign. And locally, there is still a huge amount of anger at Sarah Wollaston. I have heard a wide selection of choice epithets hurled in her direction. Brixham (where I spent today) is especially vocal. And it has twice the votes of Totnes town.

Her majority last time as a Conservative was 13,500. In the 2019 sweep stake I have gone for a Conservative majority of 8,888. There is considerable confusion still as to which way to vote tactically in this seat. The LibDdem vote was half the Labour vote last time. Labour have been gleefully pointing out her voting record on everything except Brexit - the only glue she has that sticks her to the LibDems.
    This may be a daft question, but is there a risk that voters look for "Boris" on the ballot paper and get confused?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That's it - the vote is settled.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

Bizarrely having been told by BT that it would be out of action until the engineer arrives, the guy phones back to say it’s working again (which it is), but might die again at any moment. Or come and go as it feels like.

Wait until labour nationalise it, and you'll be waiting 6 weeks.
  • Options

And how was it ?

Thanks Marquee
  • Options
    RobD said:

EPG said:

Which poll has 45/36
    I don't think any does, it was just a hypothetical.
    Oh Thanks
  • Options
    Goes to show that online voting can’t be a thing if your connection disappears at the key moment due to a politically motivated BT engineer.
  • Options
    melcfmelcf Posts: 166

melcf said:

Boris didn't think he would be competing with Father Christmas.
    He could win a competition though, in fathering n number of kids.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Stocky said:

And how was it ?

This may be a daft question, but is there a risk that voters look for "Boris" on the ballot paper and get confused?
    Yes any one that wants to vote for ‘Boris’ is confused or deranged.
  • Options
    Another case of violence against a canvasser:

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1204826738011910149?s=21
  • Options
    edited December 2019

The difference between the two can only come from minor parties, whose votes are spread very unevenly, so it won’t be a uniform swing (and no one is expecting UNS to ‘work’ this time anyway, although doubtless we will have to endure a night of Jeremy Vine pretending that it does). 8% coming from or going to the minor parties (the lion’s share of such would have to be the LibDems) could make a big difference, depending on where it falls. Since the LibDems are in contention mostly in Tory facing seats, the higher their vote, the worse for the Tories, and therefore of your two choices the Tories are better off with 45/36. In Scotland it could also mean they save most of their seats from the SNP, following the same logic.

Edit/ the other - possibly more important - factor is of course how the 4% differences for Tory and Labour fall in relation to each other, since these are very unlikely to be uniform. But working out who gains and loses in advance is impossible without just guessing at the assumptions you’d need to make.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

EPG said:

My initial thought was if it is 41/32, that means a high Lib Dem vote and that would be one of two things. Either more seats where Remain is split letting Tories come through the middle, but could also be there are southern seats where Tories lose due to higher Lib Dem vote.
    If both sides lose the same share, the exact contours of the split would have to make up for 10 to 20 seats that would go from Conservatives to LD+SNP given a 8 net percentage point swing. I can't see why they would make up for it, so I have to assume it would be net harmful.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Never mind that Portillo momment, Tony Benn losing in 1983 was a jaw dropping moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-29932216/bbc-rewind-tony-benn-loses-bristol-east
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

Latter suggests battered LibDems, so yes, better, bigly.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

6 weeks! I remember waiting 3 months to get a new phone line.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Jonathan said:

I bet that tw@t off twitter that was leaking the MRP hours in advance is totally frozen out tomorrow of any info from all sources.
    Except that he did exactly the same thing 2 weeks ago...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Of course he is, he's seen our public sector pensions!
  • Options

This violence is just wrong on so many levels and across politics
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

Except that he did exactly the same thing 2 weeks ago...
    To be fair the previous one I think was ok, because it was only random emojis and a load of other media had tweeted slides / info from the briefing already. It was already fairly understood that Tories were well ahead and YouGov were going to predict decent majority.

Last night he tweeted basically the majority in "code" that even a 3 year old could work out, when no other media people were releasing any info.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I think it’s really hard being BBC political editor. I used to slag off both Andrew Marr (up Blair’s arse) and Nick Robinson (toenails Robinson).

The fact is that as ‘establishment’ political journalists they get privileged information first from No.10 and other Government sources first as they always want to make BBC headline news. And the political editor has to make very quick decisions on that.

So they often end up breaking big news first (that sometimes isn’t the full picture) and by necessity end up having close relationships with Government.

The answer is to cut the BBC free of its licence fee mooring.

They might then eventually learn to find perspective.

Yes they may have to tell the truth rather than just be state propaganda unit
    Like the Daily Mail?

I`m getting fed up with BBC bashing. A fine British institution and cracking value for money. I`d pay the annual fee for R4 alone. Same again for The Apprentice and Dragon`s Den. Thrice the fee for Peaky Blinders.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

Has @bbclaurak broken the law by telling 2 million viewers the postal votes are grim for Labour in huge swathes of the country?

Ah, I think this explains a text i received not long ago from a corbynista relative asking me how postal votes are counted.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

6 weeks! I remember waiting 3 months to get a new phone line.
    In East Germany I believe it was typically between ten and fifteen years?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Stocky said:

And how was it ?

Yes any one that wants to vote for ‘Boris’ is confused or deranged.
    I suppose I asked for that.

I`ll line them up, you ....
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    IanB2 said:

The difference between the two can only come from minor parties, whose votes are spread very unevenly, so it won’t be a uniform swing (and no one is expecting UNS to ‘work’ this time anyway, although doubtless we will have to endure a night of Jeremy Vine pretending that it does). 8% coming from or going to the minor parties (the lion’s share of such would have to be the LibDems) could make a big difference, depending on where it falls. Since the LibDems are in contention mostly in Tory facing seats, the higher their vote, the worse for the Tories, and therefore of your two choices the Tories are better off with 45/36. In Scotland it could also mean they save most of their seats from the SNP, following the same logic.

Edit/ the other - possibly more important - factor is of course how the 4% differences for Tory and Labour fall in relation to each other, since these are very unlikely to be uniform. But working out who gains and loses in advance is impossible without just guessing at the assumptions you’d need to make.
    Wonder if YouGov MRP looked at any of this?
  • Options
    How well are they doing their job?

JOHNSON NET -3
    Badly 48%
    Well 45%
    Don't know 7%

CORBYN NET -37

Badly 65%
    Well 28%
    Don't know 7%

Deltapoll 5-7 Dec
    #GE2019 #Brexit
  • Options

eek said:

We can but hope!

Trade deals have tags.

Stupid question

end of

?

Another expert.
    This site's full of them.
    I'm definitely full of something.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    IanB2 said:

HaroldO said:

eek said:

Yes because the votes should not have been seen.

Mind you does it get Labour votes out tomorrow and / or keep Tory "voters" from voting
    Pretty sure party officials watch the opening and counting of postal votes.
    If they do they should be stopped. I think postal voting should be stopped except in extreme or exceptional cases.
    Couldn'y it be argued that postal voting a kind of infringement of the principle of a secret ballot?
    That is why the law is that papers must be kept face down. The purpose of the verification is to confirm that the identity and signatures of the postal voter tally up with their application, and that the paper returned is the one that was sent, and clearly if you catch a glimpse of the ballot paper then that person’s vote isn’t secret. Any responsible ERO (and most are very responsible) should do what he or she can to make sure papers are kept face down. So as a scrutineer your only chance is to catch a glimpse of a paper as it is being taken out of the envelope. Most people fold their papers over with the printed side inside, but occasionally someone folds it the other way so you might see the odd one, if you get a council staff member who is a little clumsy or slow. But they are supposed to stop the scrutineers seeing the face of the ballot papers, and most do.
    Am sure that Antifrank was one of several posters (some of whom are still here) who remember Kerry McCarthy tweeting postal vote totals in 2010. She was very lucky to get off with a caution.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    If only there was a catchphrase for this....
  • Options

One has to wonder about these anecdotes. Knocked fillings out?! Get a new dentist.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

And how was it ?

Voters will be mesmerised by that Brexit Party arrow again, and they will top the poll.
  • Options
  • Options

This violence is just wrong on so many levels and across politics
    The violence starts with violent language on social media. PB is not immune.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Goes to show that online voting can’t be a thing if your connection disappears at the key moment due to a politically motivated BT engineer.

I confess I don't understand the rationale behind such a method in the first place, it seems like working from a point of wanting to use the latest toys and then finding a reason to do so.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

One has to wonder about these anecdotes. Knocked fillings out?! Get a new dentist.
    Fillings have a limited life expectancy.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    What's interesting. All the polls today basically showing what they have for weeks now (yes I know Optimium was in, but I think we all thought 15% was an outlier) Tory lead of around 10%, but YouGov last night said they had been seeing a big tightening.
This discussion has been closed.