Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast. Election preview / will ther

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Mail say he Boris is going to blitz Northern seats...

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1203799404420980737
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Swedish Peoples Party of Finland ??

Does that mean we can have the Scottish National Party of England?
    (You know, like Labour but without the racism and with a plausible leader.)
    Finland has a significant population of Swedish speaking/Swedish heritage people, and a lot of notable 'Fins' have come from this group, IIRC it was about 15% when the nation became independent, but has shrunk a bit.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814

Pro_Rata said:

Also Corbyn campaign visits outnumber Boris's 21-13.

This is past two weeks, so NATO took up 2 days of that.
    Still 1.5 visits / day Vs 1.08
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    Brom said:

How much effect will a PM visit have on constituency voters? A small buzz but he’s in and out in an hour and there’s probably one or two hundred voters won round and a local Tory candidate who is buzzing. But far more important is the optics of the PM meeting every day folk, all the photo ops but with no protesters or car crash moments which are much easier to do in Tory seats. He’ll win over thousands of voters nationally via the papers and TV if he can pull a pint and crack a good joke without being heckled about the NHS.
    In the past 3 days he’s cancelled visits to Bolton and Rochester to avoid protesters and crap optics, we know what happened in South Yorkshire when locals accosted him over the floods.

With the exceptions of obvious marginals like Cheltenham and Chingford I wouldn’t take much notice about what seats he’s in, it’s all about the national campaign

I think he is wise to stay away much the same as with AN.

Nothing to gain possible downside.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I do feel rather neglected in all General Elections and locals. In 15 years we’ve only been canvassed once and that was the holding/completely dominant party. Ultra Safe seats don’t allow me to have fun others seem to. Not that I’m complaining. Our MP is a very nice chap.

We’ve actually been canvassed plus the Tories have been at the tube a couple of times and lots of mail.

Obligatory 1 piece from Labour and 2-3 from Lib Dems plus 1-2 from BXP.

15k+ Labour majority at the moment
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,272
    rcs1000 said:

Maybe the bigger surprise might not be on the Tory/Labour battles but on the LDs.

The fact that some constituency polling for them is actually quite good but at odds with the national polling still hasn’t been properly explained.

What if they surprise significantly on the upside and walk away with 35 seats?

That could be a BONG! exit poll surprise on Thursday night.

I don't think that will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them make it into the 20s.

Ultimately, they are going to have put on five to eight percentage points of vote share, and that has to go somewhere. Sure, mostly it'll be saving deposits, but the LDs in Scotland mastered maximising their efficiency of their vote, and 2017 showed the LDs in England managing something similar again.

Finally: I think people (by which I mean Labour voters who aren't BJO) are starting to forget about the coalition. And I think that means tactical voting is going to begin to come back. In 1997, the LDs saw their vote share go backwards, and they got (percentage-wise) barely more than they'll manage this year. Yet they got a staggering 46 seats.

I said 21 seats at the start of the campaign, and I still think that's probably a reasonable centre point.

(As an aside, in 1997, when the LDs increased their seat total from 20 to 46, the BBC exit poll only forecast they'd pick up two seats.)
    It seems reasonable to me that the exit poll (and probably the MRP) will be good at picking up changes due to broad patterns of support (e.g.Labour Leavers switching Tory, Tory Remainers switching Lib Dem), and bad at picking up tactical voting.

Indeed, didn't both miss out on the Scottish Tory surge of 2017?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

What do people think the final Survation will say I reckon 8%

11%
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Cyclefree said:

While you are all obsessing over polls and, BTW, I still think a HP is a very real possibility, we appear to have missed the real story of the day.

Which is - TA DAH!!!

Boris has finally told the truth about Brexit.

Yes, really!

In an interview with Tim Shipman in today’s Sunday Times he describes Brexit as an “incubus”. As indeed it is. No wonder he wants to get it done.
    Still, why embark on the bloody thing in the first place if it’s such a nightmare.

I must admit that one reason I would find a HP fascinating would be to see the reaction of EU leaders. It would also serve the Tories right. They really do not deserve to win.

Anyway, thank God it will all over be soon. If I’d wanted elections every 10 minutes I’d have gone to live in Italy.

The Conservatives and Labour losing seats would be great....they both fucking deserve to
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

I've just been feeding the latest BMG polling data into Baxter, which came up with a meagre Tory majority of 24. I'm convinced that Baxter has significantly changed his methodology recently since the regular 60-90 seat majorities we were seeing just 6-8 weeks ago are no more and instead we are fed a regular diet of 12-45 seat majorities, very seldom outside these parameters.
    What I *did* find interesting however was in playing with the seat prediction options, one can select the so-called 2018 boundaries, based on a 600 seat, instead of the present 650 seat configuration. On running this option out of curiosity, I was amazed to discover that this produced a Tory majority of no less than 110 seats, with the Tories winning 355, Labour fewer than half as many on 174 and the LibDems bringing up the rear on just 12 seats.
    Bring on the 2024 GE is what I say, always assuming that the Tories, if re-elected, actually finally get around to implementing the boundary changes which are now EIGHT YEARS OVERDUE!

Just goes to show how outdated the boundaries are if they change the result by such a huge margin.
    The huge margin in question is an effect of the change from 650 to 600, not the change to boundaries per se
    Reduce the number of Unelected Has-Beens Lords, NOT the number of elected MPs!!
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

IanB2 said:

The LibDems didn't win any seats in the Pennines in the 2010 GE so I'm not sure where he thought he was in 2015.
    Hazel Grove. Near enough. Or Leeds Nw.
    Parts of Hazel Grove might be in the Peak District foothills but there's no way Leeds NW is in the Pennines.
    Rochdale?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

The majority of PB breathes as a sigh of at.

The Tories are on average about 10-11% ahead.

Even ignoring other factors (eg Boris' probable out-performance in Labour marginals) such a result would give them a significantly bigger majority than 20.
    Not, though, if what people are saying are wild and unprecedently odd patterns of tactical voting are taken into account. A lot of people seem to be scrabbling around in the dark trying either to keep Corbyn or Brexit out. I don't think there's ever been an election like this, in that sense.
    Sure. But I am saying: just look at the polls. Because, for every anecdote you can produce - there's a youthquake! - I can do the same - look at the feedback from canvassers and focus groups!

So let's just stick to hard data and the hard data we have are: regular polls, MRP polls, and constituency polls, and ALL of those are now pointing to a sizeable Tory majority. With three days to go.
    326 politics has canvassed the canvassers and come up with a prediction of Con 326. Nice to see confidence intervals too.

https://twitter.com/326Pols/status/1203752834963066881?s=19
    Hmm. That looks a self-selecting survey to me and the tweeter himself mentions that Conservative canvasser responses are underrepresented.
    I have always been suspicious of self reported canvassing anecdata. Apart from @david_herdson in his famous Tuesday night PB wobble (partly retracted the following day as I recall) people seem to report stuff that matches their bias.

I haven't been able to do any canvassing myself this year, owing to work and church commitments so have only social anecdata to report. That seems to show a lack of interest in the GE, so I forecast a low turnout, which in turn probably means a Tory majority. Interestingly it is the WWC that seem least motivated to vote, so could play the other way.

I reckon Con on 355-360 seats, unchanged from my position at the start of the campaign, but I don't see much value in the markets at present as that seems the consensus.
    Personally, I’ve always taken Nick Palmer’s canvassing reports with a big pinch of salt. He’s not a big gambler and I think he’s too affected by the subliminal need to motivate rather than report.

Bunnco, Stuart Dickson, Marquee Mark, David Herdson, JohnO and Cyclefree i pay particular attention to.
    Has @bunnco posted? Always interesting
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

The LibDems didn't win any seats in the Pennines in the 2010 GE so I'm not sure where he thought he was in 2015.
    You kinda go past the Pennines when you go from places like Pudsey to Hazel Grove.
    Bradford East, Cheadle, Burnley, Manchester Withington... all quite close to the Pennines, all switched from LD to Tory in 2015.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    BluerBlue said:

Brom said:

How much effect will a PM visit have on constituency voters? A small buzz but he’s in and out in an hour and there’s probably one or two hundred voters won round and a local Tory candidate who is buzzing. But far more important is the optics of the PM meeting every day folk, all the photo ops but with no protesters or car crash moments which are much easier to do in Tory seats. He’ll win over thousands of voters nationally via the papers and TV if he can pull a pint and crack a good joke without being heckled about the NHS.
    In the past 3 days he’s cancelled visits to Bolton and Rochester to avoid protesters and crap optics, we know what happened in South Yorkshire when locals accosted him over the floods.

With the exceptions of obvious marginals like Cheltenham and Chingford I wouldn’t take much notice about what seats he’s in, it’s all about the national campaign

This. In an age of vicious Momentumites and social media, pumping out joyful video in friendly surroundings is worth more than a brief trip to be be pelted with eggs on enemy soil.
    That's a good point.

Today's video of Boris being lauded and adored in Jewish North London, with plaintive voices begging him to save the Jews - literally - from the evil Jew-hater Jeremy Corbyn, will persuade 1000s more voters than 3 seconds of anti-Boris lefty yelling in Yeovil.

So maybe this is just The New Politics.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited December 2019

This attitude is an absolute disgrace. Do you not think this matters?
    Not really. It is not going to change a vote

The election is over - it is just a matter of counting the votes now

I didn't mean about changing votes, I meant about the fact the Tories have lied, again.

But you don't seem to care about lying, don't you think that's a worrying path we're going down?

You're truly in the Johnson reality distortion field, it's quite a sight to behold if I am honest.
    Boris has many faults but he is the only option to defeat Corbyn who has so many faults he makes Boris look a saint
    So yes, you do think the lying is okay. Thanks for being honest about it.
    No more so than Corbyn and his fully costed manifesto
    Fair point - so why don't you vote Lib Dem or Green then?

The point I am making is you're a hypocrite. If you're happy to accept that then fair enough. But you can't take the moral high ground on pretty much anything then.
    Who do you think you are. I am content to do everything to see Corbyn defeated

I am not a lib dem or green and neither are you but you are going to vote lib dem.

Who is the real hypocrite?
    You pretend to take the moral high ground on loads of issues like racism - and yet you vote Tory.

You are a hypocrite, whether you want to admit it or not.

I am also a hypocrite, I'm happy to accept that. Are you?
    Stop being childish
    I’m sorry Big G but you are being a hypocrite. You may prefer Boris to Corbyn which is fine but it’s certainly no moral high ground.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,955
    MrEd said:

kyf_100 said:

I'm inclined to think it's the latter. People hate Corbyn, but they hate "the Tories" even more. I think Boris is personally quite popular, but he's a Tory nonetheless.

Perversely, I think this makes the anecdotes from labour canvassers sound much worse than they actually are.

From a psychological point of view, so long as people are actively telling you they hate your guy this time round, they are still on your team. They want you to get better. Like a football supporter being angry with the manager but still wanting his club to come good.

You see it in branding all the time when brands with huge amounts of loyalty make terrible mistakes. Corbyn is like when Twinings changed the recipe of their Earl Grey, or when Cadbury started putting less milk chocolate into their Creme Eggs.

It's when people stop shouting about how much they hate what Labour has become and silently vote Conservative that you'll see a Tory landslide. We're not there yet. People hate Corbyn, but the Labour brand remains strong.

I hear you but, in a lot of the WWC areas, Brexit seems to have supplanted Labour as your "brand". That is what is the problem for Labour. Not only is their brand hated but people have turned to an alternative which involves voting Tory.
    I suppose we'll find out on the day. I think there's a decent possibility "brand loyal" Labour voters will find themselves unable to put their cross against the Hated Tories. I also think there's a decent possibility many will just stay at home.

But it's also possible they will vote Conservative this time around to send a message to Labour - dump Corbyn - in much the same way as half the Tory party voted BXP in the Euros to get rid of May.

The question then becomes who they vote for once the habit of a lifetime has been broken. BXP voting Tories returned as soon as the party dropped Theresa May...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Despite the wishful thinking that the population will reject Boris - it ain't happening this time round.

Expect the Conservatives to be on 350+ seats.

I've bet on Batley & Spen, Reading East, Ashfield, Sunderland Central, and Halifax.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Indeed.

I doubt such visits win over any voters but they all have the potential to go wrong.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Swedish Peoples Party of Finland ??

Does that mean we can have the Scottish National Party of England?
    (You know, like Labour but without the racism and with a plausible leader.)
    "The Swedish-speaking population of Finland (whose members are often called Swedish-speaking Finns, Finland-Swedes, Finland Swedes, Finnish Swedes, or Swedes of Finland) ... comprise 5.4% of the total Finnish population or about 4.9% without Åland. The proportion has been steadily diminishing since the early 19th century, when Swedish was the mother tongue of approximately 15% of the population"
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658
    geoffw said:

c

Byronic said:

That is curious info from Rentoul. NOW I AM WORRIED AGAIN

Yet it is entrely opposed by the polling, and I do NOT believe there is any private polling which starkly disagrees. Such private polling is an urban myth.

So why is it happening? Perhaps they have realised that Boris is genuinely an asset in Tory marginals, but not so much in long-shot seats in the North. That would make sense. You employ your best artillery where it reliably works, not where it might just take out the admiral of the fleet, on a 1000/1 chance.

But the Con strategy is to reel in those northern seats. It is Boris who can reach those parts, not the stereotypical Tory politician.

Indeed. This is one of the more interesting findings of recent polls "The Government" is even less popular than all of the four leaders. A lot hinges on what voters mean by that, whether they mean the Tory government, or MPs in general getting a negative incumbency vote.

https://twitter.com/DylanSpielman/status/1202969367887196165?s=19
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

I've just been feeding the latest BMG polling data into Baxter, which came up with a meagre Tory majority of 24. I'm convinced that Baxter has significantly changed his methodology recently since the regular 60-90 seat majorities we were seeing just 6-8 weeks ago are no more and instead we are fed a regular diet of 12-45 seat majorities, very seldom outside these parameters.
    What I *did* find interesting however was in playing with the seat prediction options, one can select the so-called 2018 boundaries, based on a 600 seat, instead of the present 650 seat configuration. On running this option out of curiosity, I was amazed to discover that this produced a Tory majority of no less than 110 seats, with the Tories winning 355, Labour fewer than half as many on 174 and the LibDems bringing up the rear on just 12 seats.
    Bring on the 2024 GE is what I say, always assuming that the Tories, if re-elected, actually finally get around to implementing the boundary changes which are now EIGHT YEARS OVERDUE!

Just goes to show how outdated the boundaries are if they change the result by such a huge margin.
    The huge margin in question is an effect of the change from 650 to 600, not the change to boundaries per se
    Wot I said
  • Options
    SCon drifting in East Lothian. New best prices:

SNP 4/6
    SLab 16/5
    SCon 7/2
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Even ignoring other factors (eg Boris' probable out-performance in Labour marginals) such a result would give them a significantly bigger majority than 20.
    Not, though, if what people are saying are wild and unprecedently odd patterns of tactical voting are taken into account. A lot of people seem to be scrabbling around in the dark trying either to keep Corbyn or Brexit out. I don't think there's ever been an election like this, in that sense.
    Sure. But I am saying: just look at the polls. Because, for every anecdote you can produce - there's a youthquake! - I can do the same - look at the feedback from canvassers and focus groups!

So let's just stick to hard data and the hard data we have are: regular polls, MRP polls, and constituency polls, and ALL of those are now pointing to a sizeable Tory majority. With three days to go.
    326 politics has canvassed the canvassers and come up with a prediction of Con 326. Nice to see confidence intervals too.

Hmm. That looks a self-selecting survey to me and the tweeter himself mentions that Conservative canvasser responses are underrepresented.
    I have always been suspicious of self reported canvassing anecdata. Apart from @david_herdson in his famous Tuesday night PB wobble (partly retracted the following day as I recall) people seem to report stuff that matches their

I reckon Con on 355-360 seats, unchanged from my position at the start of the campaign, but I don't see much value in the markets at present as that seems the consensus.
    Personally, I’ve always taken Nick Palmer’s canvassing reports with a big pinch of salt. He’s not a big gambler and I think he’s too affected by the subliminal need to motivate rather than report.

Bunnco, Stuart Dickson, Marquee Mark, David Herdson, JohnO and Cyclefree i pay particular attention to.
    Bunnco??
    Our man on the spot.

He’s kinda funny in that I think he’s generally only in one spot but posts so well you’d think he’s omnipresent.
    He runs a region for the Tories so sees all the constituency agent reports
  • Options
    I have found Labour big final bribe...

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Despite the wishful thinking that the population will reject Boris - it ain't happening this time round.

I've bet on Batley & Spen, Reading East, Ashfield, Sunderland Central, and Halifax.

That's not much use without knowing what odds you've received in those constituencies :smile:
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Cost of Corbyn stuff will be the response.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1203799996698648576/photo/1
  • Options
    The front pages again are rather tame. It is like even the papers are bored now.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    nunu2 said:

What do people think the final Survation will say I reckon 8%

11%
    I say 43%!

For CON :smile:

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

That may be true, but to paraphrase Mandy Rice -Davies. They would say that wouldn't they.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I fear you are right...Mr Fear....

The real fight is going to be who takes control of the Lab Party...and that is where the fight for Britain's future sits...and where this country will head in 5 years. Will we go down the line of Chavez, or will pragmatic social democracy prevail?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Does anyone know what the biggest priced winner (on the eve of the vote) that actually won in terms of seats in 2017 ? What was the biggest surprise?

Mansfield?
    Canterbury?
    Kensington?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Thought you weren’t a gambler!

Have we corrupted you?
  • Options

That may be true, but to paraphrase Mandy Rice -Davies. They would say that wouldn't they.
    The point was we were just talking about where Boris / Corbyn has been over past 2 weeks. Mail saying Boris is now going to spend time visiting the North, that is relevant information.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited December 2019
    BluerBlue said:

Brom said:

This. In an age of vicious Momentumites and social media, pumping out joyful video in friendly surroundings is worth more than a brief trip to be be pelted with eggs on enemy soil.
    There’s also a part of me that thinks though Boris is relatively popular for a Tory behind the red wall there’s something rather presumptuous and inflammatory about Boris acting all bolshy in Sunderland or Bolsover. I reckon people love the idea of Get Brexit Done, are okish with voting Tory this time but also won’t be rolling out the red carpet to the Conservatives. Best to win these seats by going under the radar, target voters on Facebook rather than doing anything to put these places in the national spotlight that might upset the locals and remind them why they never return a Tory MP.
  • Options
    kjohnw1kjohnw1 Posts: 95
    edited December 2019
    tyson said:

Does anyone know where RodCrosby is lurking today?
    Do we know what his predictions are? He rightly called Trump and Brexit....so he's worth tracking down....

Any idea what's happened to JackW and his ARSE
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

I have always been suspicious of self reported canvassing anecdata. Apart from @david_herdson in his famous Tuesday night PB wobble (partly retracted the following day as I recall) people seem to report stuff that matches their

Bunnco??
    Our man on the spot.

He’s kinda funny in that I think he’s generally only in one spot but posts so well you’d think he’s omnipresent.
    He runs a region for the Tories so sees all the constituency agent reports
    Ah. Thanks.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That's not much use without knowing what odds you've received in those constituencies :smile:
    7-2, 15-8, 8-11, 4-1, 5-4, respectively.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

You kinda go past the Pennines when you go from places like Pudsey to Hazel Grove.
    Bradford East, Cheadle, Burnley, Manchester Withington... all quite close to the Pennines, all switched from LD to Tory in 2015.
    Manchester Whitington?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    dr_spyn said:
    He looks a right devious Bar Steward in that photo.
  • Options

Brom said:

Indeed.

I doubt such visits win over any voters but they all have the potential to go wrong.
    After a minor panic, I realise you and Brom are surely right. A modern campaign is fought on social media, and TV news, not in hustings and meet-the-publics where you might come a cropper even if the place isn't overly hostile. Remember TMay's terrible chip-eating in mildly lefty St Austell? I am sure her supremely awkward and embarrassing demeanour lost her votes.

Better to get your man surrounded by seriously positive vibes. When I look at a big and eager Corbyn rally - even now - I sometimes catch myself thinking "Well, he must have something" -despite my knowing he is an evil Marxist traitor.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Jeremy Corbyn spent the last Sunday before the general election in the company of 200 supporters in a Welsh village hall today.

The Labour leader took his campaign roadshow to the town of Llanfairfechan on the North Wales coast to meet placard-waving admirers four days before the election. The town of 3,600 people is in the marginal constituency of Aberconwy, where the Conservatives clung on by only 635 votes at the 2017 election.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7769767/Jeremy-Corbyn-campaigns-Welsh-village-hall-four-days-election.html
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Thought you weren’t a gambler!

Have we corrupted you?
    Probably. I gambled successfully on Trump and Brexit, and the 2018 local elections.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

Brom said:

Indeed.

After a minor panic, I realise you and Brom are surely right. A modern campaign is fought on social media, and TV news, not in hustings and meet-the-publics where you might come a cropper even if the place isn't overly hostile. Remember TMay's terrible chip-eating in mildly lefty St Austell? I am sure her supremely awkward and embarrassing demeanour lost her votes.

Better to get your man surrounded by seriously positive vibes. When I look at a big and eager Corbyn rally - even now - I sometimes catch myself thinking "Well, he must have something" -despite my knowing he is an evil Marxist traitor.

Those kind of rallies have been few and far between this time around.
  • Options
    kjohnw1 said:

tyson said:

Do we know what his predictions are? He rightly called Trump and Brexit....so he's worth tracking down....

he put it into retirement after Trump---well if he didn't he should have done.

RodC- where is he???
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

The point was we were just talking about where Boris / Corbyn has been over past 2 weeks. Mail saying Boris is now going to spend time visiting the North, that is relevant information.
    An amusing picture to accompany the headline.
  • Options

Cheadle did.

The other three were Labour gains.
  • Options

@TSE - looks to me like CCHQ are worried the late threat is to Tory seats in the SE and London from Lab/LD tacticals.

It’s possible the air war has already done its job in the north/midlands.

I was just going to say something similar.

Maybe their numbers are showing that they are doing well in the Northern/Midlands marginals, but are concerned about losing share in the South.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1203647019312730113

2010: Con 48 seats ahead of Lab
    2015: Con 98 seats ahead of Lab
    2017: Con 55 seats ahead of Lab
    2019: ?
  • Options
    kjohnw1 said:

tyson said:

ARSE was the actual inspiration for my ELBOW, back in August 2014!

Hope he's well!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    tyson said:

kjohnw1 said:

tyson said:

RodC- where is he???
    Banned for being anti-Semitic. Also possibly dead, I think

I know his anti-Semitic stuff was horrible, but I miss him. He and I used to email. He came across as a decent, troubled, and very very smart bloke, who REALLY knew his psephology. If he is gone: RIP
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    He looks a right devious Bar Steward in that photo.
    You'll have to narrow it down to which devious Bar Steward you are referring.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Hazel Grove. Near enough. Or Leeds Nw.
    Sheffield Hallam?

Although I doubt Cameron went there in 2015

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    kjohnw1 said:

tyson said:

JackW has been 103 for at least 14 years. His actual age must be catching up with this now. As it is with all of us, of course.
  • Options
    Well is somebody wants to move the Betfair Tory Majority to < 1.3, they are going to need £75k.
  • Options
    I understand that Rod Crosby died some time ago.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Brom said:

Indeed.

Such visits are perhaps especially risky for Boris as he seems to have a need to be loved.

A few hecklers, which all Conservatives tend to get, could unsettle him to a dangerous degree.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Maybe the bigger surprise might not be on the Tory/Labour battles but on the LDs.

The fact that some constituency polling for them is actually quite good but at odds with the national polling still hasn’t been properly explained.

What if they surprise significantly on the upside and walk away with 35 seats?

That could be a BONG! exit poll surprise on Thursday night.

What feels like months ago (but was probably only about a fortnight back) I did some back-of-a-fag-packet reasoning and came up with a guess for the Lib Dems of around 20-22. I still wouldn't be surprised if they got that far, but 35 is implausible. They've a very limited pool of evenly vaguely marginal seats to fish in (of which a decent proportion are Leave-leaning,) so if they were to win a total that healthy they'd need to be taking down quite a lot of Tory seats on massive swings.

To put it another way, if you think they could do as well as 35 I'd be fascinated to see your opinion on exactly which seats they're meant to lose and gain in order to arrive at that figure.
    If you were to go looking for the twentieth LibDem gain from the Conservatives (this is not a forecast), you would probably want to find a place which:

1. Had a strong local LD presence on the council, including surges in the '18/'19 local elections, and a number one spot for the LDs in the Euros
    2. Has a large Labour vote to squeeze
    3. Is more than 55% or so Remain

In other words, it's Remainy middle class seats where the Conservatives got 40-50% last time, Labour 25-30% and the LDs 15-20%, but the LDs have the local presence and the Labour Party doesn't.

In those seats, if the Tories fall back to 40%, while the LDs make themselves the challengers and benefit from tactical voting, then you *might* see some shocks.

But realistically, a more likely outcome is that the LDs in those seats go to 30%, while the Labour Party drops sub 20%, and they become "in play" in 2024.
  • Options

I didn't know that. I know that Plato and Mark Senior had passed on, but I didn't know about Rod Crosby.
  • Options
    LD drifting in Esher & Walton:

Con (Raab) 1/2
    LD 9/4
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Batley - reasonable but a Labour hold
    Reading East - looks good value
    Ashfield - reasonable
    Sunderland C - looks good value
    Halifax - reasonable

I suspect Halifax might be a constituency where the Conservatives often come very close to winning but never do.
  • Options

That's my understanding, too. Bless him, and God speed his soul.

Likewise Plato. And SBS. All from very different voting backgrounds, but..... all enlightening in their own way.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

tyson said:

kjohnw1 said:

tyson said:

RodC- where is he???
    Banned for being anti-Semitic. Also possibly dead, I think

I know his anti-Semitic stuff was horrible, but I miss him. He and I used to email. He came across as a decent, troubled, and very very smart bloke, who REALLY knew his psephology. If he is gone: RIP
    Thanks B....

Rod won a lot of money on Trump....and I would be sad if he has passed...

My uncle's an Aushwitz survivor...he lost every single member of his female family there (aunts, sisters, cousins, mother)..

I'm baffled by the anti-Semitic stuff. I spent the best part of a year on a kibbutz, and cannot help but admire the pluckiness of the Israelis..
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793

Oh godsdammit, really? That's the fourth one we've lost (PlatoSays/Phillipa, Calum and Mark Senior being the others). When was it and what did he die of?
  • Options
    +++BETTING POST+++

In line with my policy of betting transparency, please be advised that I have today placed a bet of £120 with Betfred at 1/3 on Conservative overall majority. This is in addition to my bet of 2019/11/24 of £150 with Betfred at 2/5 on Conservative overall majority. A link to that latter bet is given here[1]

#BigBoyPants

[1] https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2610267/#Comment_2610267
  • Options
    Survation in 80 mins

YG MRP in 47hrs 20 mins

Then it's just the one that matters.
  • Options
    SLab drifting in Inverclyde: 5/1 from 3/1.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    viewcode said:

Oh godsdammit, really? That's the fourth one we've lost (PlatoSays/Phillipa, Calum and Mark Senior being the others). When was it and what did he die of?
    Wait, what?! I haven't been a regular on here for quite some time so didn't know.
    Blimey.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I didn't know that. I know that Plato and Mark Senior had passed on, but I didn't know about Rod Crosby.
    Has anyone heard from Socrates recently? I really liked him and it is a shame he is not posting anymore.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Batley - reasonable but a Labour hold
    Reading East - looks good value
    Ashfield - reasonable
    Sunderland C - looks good value
    Halifax - reasonable

I suspect Halifax might be a constituency where the Conservatives often come very close to winning but never do.
    One out of five Ashfield or none imo.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Survation in 80 mins

YG MRP in 47hrs 20 mins

SurveyMonkey.

:)
  • Options
    LD drifting in Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch & Strathspey: 16/1.

(Danny Alexander’s old seat.)
  • Options
    It is the best analysis I have read of the Boris Phenomenon, for good and bad. Devoid of Brexity hysteria.
  • Options

Hold on. If he's dead...who is updating his Wikipedia account?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/RodCrosby
  • Options
    RobD said:

Survation in 80 mins

YG MRP in 47hrs 20 mins

SurveyMonkey.

:)
    Isnt that what opinium have been doing for weeks!!!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Mark Senior.....that is sad....I didn't know
    I was really upset when SBS went....

I used to like Paul....City fan/ Yellow Peril- he disappeared (hopefully to something better to do rather than the other side)

Can OGH not do a kind of Oscar homage in one of his leads to our passing friends...at least then we'll know which ones have kicked the bucket...

There does seem quite a high number of frequent posters here that conk it though which is a bit worrying....I might up my life insurance
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Byronic said:

Likewise Plato. And SBS. All from very different voting backgrounds, but..... all enlightening in their own way.
    What's your source for that information ?

He was definitely alive 10 days ago
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    BMG makes no difference

The most sensitive assumption in my model is the % of LD supporters in Lab/Tory marginals who will vote tactically for Labour.
    YouGov reported 49% were willing but that was some time ago. Some are probably already in the Labour share and out of the LD share. I use 40% in my model.
    The sensitivity is as follows: % LDs tactical for Labour, Number of Tory seats
    0%, 341
    20%, 332
    40%, 323
    60%, 315
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

What's your source for that information ?

He was definitely alive 10 days ago
    I thought you referenced him Pulps.....where is he?

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Has anyone heard from Socrates recently? I really liked him and it is a shame he is not posting anymore.
    Yeah, Socrates was good. Waspish and wise.

We really are like an old pub, where the muttering regulars occasionally fall off their perch, and nobody notices until they NOTICE

RESPECT to all PB-ERS, left and right, Nat and Scone, Welsh and UKIP, lagershedders and Rogerdamus. Also OGH and NPXMP

In some weeks I spend more time on here than I do with, say, my family. OMFG.

• Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,756
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

Did Rod Crosby Really Die? is a book struggling to be born. Maybe you know someone who could help?
  • Options

Certainly and you would also be crossing the Calder river and the M62.

But ultimately the Pennines are a mountain range with few voters and in 2015 no LibDem constituencies.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    viewcode said:

Heavens, he was (is?) a prolific editor.

• Options
    geoffw said:

viewcode said:

I think everyone who posts here is on the spectrum.....Rod felt like someone at the far end

• Options
    Well, well - BoZo is in the 'South West' again tomorrow - that could mean anything from Cheltenham to St. Ives, of course - what was that again about the Northern Heartlands?

https://cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/pm-boris-johnson-back-south-3621723

I'll keep you informed where, and if, the visits actually occur.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited December 2019

@TSE - looks to me like CCHQ are worried the late threat is to Tory seats in the SE and London from Lab/LD tacticals.

Maybe their numbers are showing that they are doing well in the Northern/Midlands marginals, but are concerned about losing share in the South.
    I suspect (but have no internal briefings on this) that the reports from the Midlands and the North and the SW and Wales are encouraging for a good majority. They fear the worst in Scotland, given the margins on many seats are tiny. The way they lose the majority though is the SE/London seats falling. So the strategy now is to put resources into helping out any of those SE/London seats they fear might just run away from them.

They would much rather lock in a 20-30 seat majority to get Brexit done, than go for a 100 seat majority whilst risk losing it. They have learnt from 2017. Some of that targeting was crazily optimistic. Scotland may deliver for the majority on the upside, but frankly, who knows?

They also expect the final days of the social war to go their way. That may yet help get them some delicious wins. But they are not essential. Get The Job Done is the mantra for the final days. Do nothing that risks that.
  • Options

Certainly and you would also be crossing the Calder river and the M62.

But ultimately the Pennines are a mountain range with few voters and in 2015 no LibDem constituencies.
    I think calling the Pennines a mountain range is pushing it a tad.....
  • Options
    Byronic said:

rcs1000 said:

Yeah, Socrates was good. Waspish and wise.

We really are like an old pub, where the muttering regulars occasionally fall off their perch, and nobody notices until they NOTICE

RESPECT to all PB-ERS, left and right, Nat and Scone, Welsh and UKIP, lagershedders and Rogerdamus. Also OGH and NPXMP

In some weeks I spend more time on here than I do with, say, my family. OMFG.

Spending time on this site has caused many a strained word between myself and the missus! I've even zoned out of conversations with her and the kids because of the addiction of PB and got a flea in the ear!
  • Options
    I hate to hear of PBer deaths.

Had to give my mate a stiff talking too as well the other day.

We were talking about the demise of Bob Willis and his first thought was "hope he didnt have a postal vote"

Mind you he is so left wing he makes me look like Tory Swinson.
  • Options

We were talking about the demise of Bob Willis and his first thought was "hope he didnt have a postal vote"

You have John McDonnell round for tea?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    I have to say that this -- if true -- is really, really shocking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50704179

Daughter: I have been raped by one of your political cronies. I want to go to the police.

Bob Hawke: You can't. I am sorry but I am challenging for the leadership of the Labor Party.
  • Options

I suspect (but have no internal briefings on this) that the reports from the Midlands and the North and the SW and Wales are encouraging for a good majority. They fear the worst in Scotland, given the margins on many seats are tiny. The way they lose the majority though is the SE/London seats falling. So the strategy now is to put resources into helping out any of those SE/London seats they fear might just run away from them.

They would much rather lock in a 20-30 seat majority to get Brexit done, than go for a 100 seat majority whilst risk losing it. They have learnt from 2017. Some of that targeting was crazily optimistic. Scotland may deliver for the majority on the upside, but frankly, who knows?

They also expect the final days of the social war to go their way. That may yet help get them some delicious wins. But they are not essential. Get The Job Done is the mantra for the final days. Do nothing that risks that.
    That makes sense....safety first....lock in a small majority----but also be hopeful that a 70/80 majority may well crop up with a fair wind....
  • Options
    geoffw said:

viewcode said:

I'll leave it to Sunil to show you his.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

It'd quite common for the dead to continue editing Wikipedia pages. If you go to a seance these days, you see that communication with the dead happens almost entirely via an elaborate editing dance.
  • Options

Well, well - BoZo is in the 'South West' again tomorrow - that could mean anything from Cheltenham to St. Ives, of course - what was that again about the Northern Heartlands?

Kate McCann of Sky is on his bus and is very good on saying where he is

He is going to all parts of the country over the next three days
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427
    Byronic said:

It is the best analysis I have read of the Boris Phenomenon, for good and bad. Devoid of Brexity hysteria.
    UNLURK

I think I have said this a few times before over the years - read Orwell, especially his "Notes on Nationalism".

Brexit is about British nationalism.

It is opposed by Euronationalists & their kin the Internationalists.

Corbyn is a Negative nationalist - hence his instinct is towards every opponent of this country (IRA, Putin etc)...

Boris Johnson is British nationalist.

Those expecting the perceived success or failure of Brexit from the point of view of leave should consider the following. In how many countries around the world that left empires or other countries do the nationalists sum up their success in economic terms?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Could be Plymouth, but otherwise it is defensive - there's no other realisitc gains.
  • Options
    Re Rod Crosby, I think the confusion came from the comment that he had died "just like all the Jews in Aushwitz". Obviously, to a normal person, that would imply that he was - you know - dead. While to Rod, it was an indication that nothing was wrong at all.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Just interested if you have any particular rationale behind this other than the polls?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    rcs1000 said:

Re Rod Crosby, I think the confusion came from the comment that he had died "just like all the Jews in Aushwitz". Obviously, to a normal person, that would imply that he was - you know - dead. While to Rod, it was an indication that nothing was wrong at all.

I shouldn't have laughed.
  • Options

Is a vote legitimate if you are dead by election day?
This discussion has been closed.