Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Can the Scottish Tories without Ruth Davidson hold onto most o

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,073
    Opinium is unchanged 15 point lead 46 to 31
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    melcf said:

Reposted:::: feel free to disagree

Lincoln , very close fight
    Just my two pence worth of thoughts, wrt Lincon. Have lived and worked there, so know a little about it.
    Pros and Cons, for Labour Karen Lee
    Pros:
    -Student vote - around 1500+
    -Brexit Party to split Leave votes
    -Possible tactical voting from Greens and even LD
    Karen has been more hands on and visible in Lincon, with a more down to earth nature. Being a nurse also helps, given the way the public services are at the moment.
    Not a hugely leave area 55:45 unlike neighbouring Boston, which I think was like 70:30

Cons:
    -Her biggest threat comes from being strongly remain in a 55-45 leave Constituency. A lot of people feel let down, even calling her a traitor. How much of this would translate into votes, time will tell
    - As usual JC, but he was there in 2017, so people have got used to him, like a rash.

Conservative: Karl McCartney
    Pros: strongly Brexit, will he polarise the 55% vote? Tyen he wins
    Cons: quite a few , actually.
    -Has been MP for 7 years, so has a lot to answer, when he promises new stuff, like park and ride.
    -Lot of people have been hurt by 9 years of austerity, so again on the back foot
    - Has this impression of being arrogant and little too full of himself. Read his facebook page, with mostly negative comments from the public, v unsual in the North
    - Was involved in the expenses scandal as well as hiring his wife. People have not forgotten that

So, overall it's going to be a close fight, with Karen slightly ahead. However, if the Tories had selected a newbie, with not much baggage as Karl, then most likely the Tories had this in the bag.
    My verdict, close win for Karen, less than 1000 votes . Please feel free to disagree.
    The red wall in the North has been shaken. Whether it will crumble, will depend on many factors, including turnout and not only on Brexit alone

Thanks.

On the student vote; wasn't there some issue about turnout in Halls of Residence in 2017? If student turnout was very high in 2017 then that will be hard to maintain this time round, so it could be a 'con' not a 'pro'.
  • Options
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 46% (-)
    LAB: 31% (-)
    LDEM: 13% (-)
    GRN: 3% (+1)
    BREX: 2% (-)

via @OpiniumResearch, 04 - 06 Dec
    Chgs. w/ 29 Nov

More:
    https://t.co/m1hoBpI81D
  • Options
    Opinium is mad lol.

I just do not believe it's 15 points - I am prepared to eat my hat
  • Options
    Someone's got it very wrong again..

This could still be anything from a hung parliament to a 40 seat majority, I think.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Opinium is mad lol.

Even with a systematic bias, they are showing no change in the relative positions. Consistent with other pollsters in that regard.
  • Options
    Only gold? I was thinking double diamond standard.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Opinium is mad lol.

Even with a systematic bias, they are showing no change in the relative positions. Consistent with other pollsters in that regard.
    Yes I suppose that is the most interesting thing, no change as of yet. But more polls to come, more straws to clench!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Would anyone like to discuss what bets they've got on? Happy to post mine to get the ball rolling?

All on Betfair for tiny stakes as I'm not a serious gambler... just for added interest on the night.

£2 at 9 on Conservatives to be in the 360-369 seats band.
    £2 at 17 on the Lib Dems to be in the 30-39 seats band.
    £2 lay at 2.2 on the Lib Dems being in the 10-19 seats band.
    £6 at 5.8 on Labour to be in the 169 seats or below band.
    £2.50 at 12 on Labour to be in the 170-179 seats band.
    £2.50 at 11 on Labour to be in the 180-189 seats band.
    another £4 at 21 on Labour to be in the 180-189 seats band.
    £2 at 12.5 on Labour to be in the 190-199 seats band.

Any bet puts you in the elite 20% of this site I would reckon.
  • Options
    15 point is the true poll, that is what the Tories on here will say!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Platinum executive gold standard for Tory voters. Comres may become the diamond crystal standard for Labourites.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

This could still be anything from a hung parliament to a 40 seat majority, I think.

It's probably somewhere in between.
  • Options

Ridiculous. We don't know if there are any better ones yet.
  • Options
    It would be interesting to dig into why Opinium is different.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299

Just a technical note on the two ComRes's which seems to have been largely overlooked. the Telegraph one is taken with the actual candidates, which means that in half the seats respondents were not offered a Brexit Party option. If we think the BXP vote nationally is 4%, and that BXP voters without a candidate will generally go for Boris, then that explains the difference entirely. It's probably more complicated than that, but I'd guess that's most of the difference.

What this means specifically is that the 8-point lead reflects Tories being safer in their own seats, and the 6-point lead is a reflection of the position elsewhere. We shouldn't knock ourselves out obsessing over one poll when there are lots more coming, but maybe this is helpful in understanding what's happening.

How does that explain the difference in Lab share?

ComRes (Miller) - Lab 36

ComRes (Telegraph) - Lab 33
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    I see a former Tory PM (JM) and Leader of the Tory Party has told the voters not to vote Tory
    I see a former Tory Home Secretary (MH) has told the voters not to vote Tory
    I see a former Tory CotE (KC) has told the voters not to vote Tory
    I see a former Tory Chair (CP) has told the voters not to vote Tory

I see Tommy Robinson a former Leader of Britain First has told people to vote FOR the Tory Party

Boris claims to be a one nation Tory but he has taken the Whip from most of those. He is a 1% Tory not 1 nation.

PBers who can hold there heads high TSE, Richard Nbavi and David Herdson

Notable "one nationers" who should hang their heads in shame.

Well i dont need to name them but.......
  • Options
    RobD said:

LOL!
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

RobD said:

Platinum executive gold standard for Tory voters. Comres may become the diamond crystal standard for Labourites.
    Which one? ;)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

TudorRose said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Would anyone like to discuss what bets they've got on? Happy to post mine to get the ball rolling?

I have a couple of bets on the date of the election. I am quietly confident, though Betfair isn't willing to settle until the day after the election.
    I had November and December and will come out overall in profit. They haven't settled mine either.
    In that case in a sense it's fair not to settle, as it is clearly written into their rules.

But I think it's a bit absurd for it to be in the rules. Is there any power on earth that can prevent the election taking place, once Parliament has been dissolved?
    I suspect that the death of HMQ might be a cause.
    But does anyone have the power to postpone the election legally?
    Death of a monarch postpones the election by a fortnight.
    What's the evidence for saying that?
    Oh I see - the Representation of the People Act 1985.
    No excuse for Betfair, though, because it would still be in December 2019 ...
    Could have two demises of the crown in quick succession.
    Now you've got me worried.
  • Options
    City in big trouble. Fred hit with a bottle from the crowd
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    WTAFFFFF
  • Options
    RobD said:

Curtice-coppered?
  • Options
    Remember, we are just one systematic polling error away from the biggest Tory landslide since '31.

*innocent face*
  • Options
    RobD said:
    I do love a polling related collective nervous breakdown on PB.com.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    The polling pattern tonight seems to follow the pattern of the last few days.
    "Nothing has changed"
  • Options
    RobD said:

Remember, we are just one systematic polling error away from the biggest Tory landslide since '31.

*innocent face*

Or a very Hung Parliament!
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

The polling pattern tonight seems to follow the pattern of the last few days.
    "Nothing has changed"

Ed balls has got you covered:

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

City in big trouble. Fred hit with a bottle from the crowd

It should mean at least one game behind closed doors - as should have happened with Arsenal last season - but it won't.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

Well thank goodness no herding, but I don't personally find it plausible. Either HP or massive majority, so clear!
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    15% tort lead feels right. 😂
  • Options
    Perhaps the pollsters read PB and like to have people cheering on both sides?

Perhaps the pollsters have all said fuck it and just plucked numbers out of thin air?

Fuck it, Labour super majority incoming
  • Options
    That's one reason the majority of tories on here have been less bullish about chances of a landslide - despite positive noises from the north (england and wales) it disappointed last time. But even a disappointment has a high chance of some kind of majority, which is all they need.
  • Options
    melcfmelcf Posts: 166

RobD said:
    That is an amazing poll in Wrexham..
    Not sure why Wrexham and previously Grimsby targetted by 'individual polls'
    Just my fleeting impression of Wrexham, was there 10 days ago for a while.
    Met three types
    1) Frothing Brexiters, ' We voted leave' We want focking out types-- Advantage Bojo
    2) Those upset with austerity and poor services, including a creaking local hospital Adv Labour
    3) those just fed up with everything and unwilling to commit., I dont know
    Candidates Labour A young Oxford educated lady, seemed to be on the ball
    Conservative Sarah Atherthon, not very active, at least on social sites. Followed the glorius example of her boss and missed an important all candidates interview. Pissed off some traditional Welsh speakers , when asked why leaflets were not printed in Welsh , with a Catherine Tate sort of reply, Am I Botherwered
    My impression Very close, and definitely not a fifteen point lead. All will depend on the turnout and those who have not commited. It takes a lot of effort to break age old traditions and habits.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Opinium is the religion of the people.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Tomorrow's ELBOW should be... interesting (as always) :lol:
  • Options
    >A survey of almost 30,000 voters found that the Conservatives are on course to win 345 seats in the House of Commons, giving Johnson a majority of 40.

Is this MRP?
  • Options
    melcf said:

RobD said:
    That is an amazing poll in Wrexham..
    Not sure why Wrexham and previously Grimsby targetted by 'individual polls'
    Just my fleeting impression of Wrexham, was there 10 days ago for a while.
    Met three types
    1) Frothing Brexiters, ' We voted leave' We want focking out types-- Advantage Bojo
    2) Those upset with austerity and poor services, including a creaking local hospital Adv Labour
    3) those just fed up with everything and unwilling to commit., I dont know
    Candidates Labour A young Oxford educated lady, seemed to be on the ball
    Conservative Sarah Atherthon, not very active, at least on social sites. Followed the glorius example of her boss and missed an important all candidates interview. Pissed off some traditional Welsh speakers , when asked why leaflets were not printed in Welsh , with a Catherine Tate sort of reply, Am I Botherwered
    My impression Very close, and definitely not a fifteen point lead. All will depend on the turnout and those who have not commited. It takes a lot of effort to break age old traditions and habits.
    On 2 - isn't health a devolved issue? In which case definitely not advantage Labour.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,388
    RobD said:

*innocent face*

Ian Blackford, Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Thankfully this looks to be the last Opinium as I’m beginning to detest this polling company ! Lol
  • Options

xkcd is relevant here

xkcd is ALWAYS relevant.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kle4 said:

That's one reason the majority of tories on here have been less bullish about chances of a landslide - despite positive noises from the north (england and wales) it disappointed last time. But even a disappointment has a high chance of some kind of majority, which is all they need.
    They won’t be bullish until the exit poll which shows a 60+ tory majority their job is to frighten every possible vote into voting Tory because we need more Tory robots.
  • Options

>A survey of almost 30,000 voters found that the Conservatives are on course to win 345 seats in the House of Commons, giving Johnson a majority of 40.

Is this MRP?

Alright, who has a Times subscription? :D
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Well a 15% lead surely guarantees an average lead of 10% plus unless all other polls have narrowed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    RobD said:
    That'll do, Pig......
  • Options
    The MRP poll predicts that without tactical voting Labour will win 224 seats, with the Scottish National Party on 45, the Lib Dems on 13 and the Green Party on one. @cazjwheeler
  • Options

RobD said:

*innocent face*

Ian Blackford, Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.
    Not Nigel Dodds? Facing off against 630 MPs?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

They won’t be bullish until the exit poll which shows a 60+ tory majority their job is to frighten every possible vote into voting Tory because we need more Tory robots.
    You say that, but there were more people more bullish last time, it isn't always standard for peopple to show any caution whatsoever.
  • Options
    That's the Times.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Times poll is very old - 25 Nov to 2 Dec.

It is not the YouGov MRP.

It was commissioned by Best for Britain campaign for a second EU referendum.
  • Options
    We probably shouldn't copy/paste entire articles though. Trim the fluff and give us the juicy bits :p
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019

Is this MRP?

As mentioned I think that's almost exactly the maximum possible outcome for the Tories. Hung parliament is the other end of fair possibility.
  • Options
    melcfmelcf Posts: 166

RobD said:
    That'll do, Pig......
    Opinium always overestimates the Tories
    Keep the champagne back on ice
  • Options
    melcf said:

Reposted:::: feel free to disagree

Lincoln , very close fight
    Just my two pence worth of thoughts, wrt Lincon. Have lived and worked there, so know a little about it.
    Pros and Cons, for Labour Karen Lee
    Pros:
    -Student vote - around 1500+
    -Brexit Party to split Leave votes
    -Possible tactical voting from Greens and even LD
    Karen has been more hands on and visible in Lincon, with a more down to earth nature. Being a nurse also helps, given the way the public services are at the moment.
    Not a hugely leave area 55:45 unlike neighbouring Boston, which I think was like 70:30

Cons:
    -Her biggest threat comes from being strongly remain in a 55-45 leave Constituency. A lot of people feel let down, even calling her a traitor. How much of this would translate into votes, time will tell
    - As usual JC, but he was there in 2017, so people have got used to him, like a rash.

Conservative: Karl McCartney
    Pros: strongly Brexit, will he polarise the 55% vote? Tyen he wins
    Cons: quite a few , actually.
    -Has been MP for 7 years, so has a lot to answer, when he promises new stuff, like park and ride.
    -Lot of people have been hurt by 9 years of austerity, so again on the back foot
    - Has this impression of being arrogant and little too full of himself. Read his facebook page, with mostly negative comments from the public, v unsual in the North
    - Was involved in the expenses scandal as well as hiring his wife. People have not forgotten that

So, overall it's going to be a close fight, with Karen slightly ahead. However, if the Tories had selected a newbie, with not much baggage as Karl, then most likely the Tories had this in the bag.
    My verdict, close win for Karen, less than 1000 votes . Please feel free to disagree.
    The red wall in the North has been shaken. Whether it will crumble, will depend on many factors, including turnout and not only on Brexit alone

I live in Lincoln, I've been here for 19 years. I agree that it will be a very close contest. I wouldn't like to call it either way other than to say that Labour (win or lose) will out-perform their national performance here as the seat is trending their way.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Why does it keep correcting Tory to tort?
  • Options

Is this MRP?

It is a MRP but not a YouGov MRP but a Focaldata MRP.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

That's the Times.

CHB

You probably wouldn’t know this, but OGH has been in trouble before over breaches of copyright when people copy and paste whole articles from paywalled newspapers, including The Times. Would advise you not to do it, however interesting or relevant the article. Just a snippet and a link would be better.
  • Options

Boris Johnson would be denied a majority if fewer than 41,000 people voted tactically in 36 seats that could swing the election, according to a major new poll.

A survey of almost 30,000 voters found that the Conservatives are on course to win 345 seats in the House of Commons, giving Johnson a majority of 40.

However, analysis for the Best for Britain campaign for a second EU referendum found that in 36 seats, the Tory candidate could be defeated by 2,500 or fewer anti-Brexit voters switching their vote — with an average of just 1,131 votes needed in each constituency.

Those sort of polls give me hope of a HP which, despite all the terrible things that come with it, is the only path to remain, but is it not just as easy to identify several dozen seats where tactical voting could swing the seats to the Tories with only a few thousands or hundred votes?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

All on Betfair for tiny stakes as I'm not a serious gambler... just for added interest on the night.

£2 at 9 on Conservatives to be in the 360-369 seats band.
    £2 at 17 on the Lib Dems to be in the 30-39 seats band.
    £2 lay at 2.2 on the Lib Dems being in the 10-19 seats band.
    £6 at 5.8 on Labour to be in the 169 seats or below band.
    £2.50 at 12 on Labour to be in the 170-179 seats band.
    £2.50 at 11 on Labour to be in the 180-189 seats band.
    another £4 at 21 on Labour to be in the 180-189 seats band.
    £2 at 12.5 on Labour to be in the 190-199 seats band.

Any bet puts you in the elite 20% of this site I would reckon.
    By betting less than £25 in a year? LOL
  • Options
    According to Reddit, variation last time.

>The variation in 2017 went from Labour up 2% in Qriously to Tories up 13% in BMG. ICM was at 12% for the Tories. Survation at 1% for the Tories. Was just as wild as this time really. Just we don't have Qriously polling this time to give ridiculous pro-Labour results.

I recall on polling day some showed a 10 point lead, were there any higher than that? So 15 is far out but perhaps not as far out as we think at first glance.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That's the Times.

CHB

You probably wouldn’t know this, but OGH has been in trouble before over breaches of copyright when people copy and paste whole articles from paywalled newspapers, including The Times. Would advise you not to do it, however interesting or relevant the article. Just a snippet and a link would be better.
    As it's his first offence, I think the punishment can be limited to three days' exile at ConHome.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

The upper case is higher than that I would have thought.
  • Options
    Re the Times my apologies, I didn't realise and I'll hold my hands up to that - wouldn't wish anyone to get into trouble.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

That's rich coming from you, when you have poured cold water on dozens of polls you didn't like over the last few weeks. You are not fooling anybody on here with your ill-thought-out opinions about polling, this is the worst place for you to post such claptrap and think you can get away with it.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

That's the Times.

CHB

As it's his first offence, I think the punishment can be limited to three days' exile at ConHome.
    While we are still in the EU that kind of punishment is not legal.

Damn it, that's the ECHR I'm getting mixed up again.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

nunu2 said:

Because Tories believe in "let them eat cake"? :lol:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boris Johnson would be denied a majority if fewer than 41,000 people voted tactically in 36 seats that could swing the election, according to a major new poll.

A survey of almost 30,000 voters found that the Conservatives are on course to win 345 seats in the House of Commons, giving Johnson a majority of 40.

However, analysis for the Best for Britain campaign for a second EU referendum found that in 36 seats, the Tory candidate could be defeated by 2,500 or fewer anti-Brexit voters switching their vote — with an average of just 1,131 votes needed in each constituency.

Those sort of polls give me hope of a HP which, despite all the terrible things that come with it, is the only path to remain, but is it not just as easy to identify several dozen seats where tactical voting could swing the seats to the Tories with only a few thousands or hundred votes?
    Remain? I thought you voted Leave.
  • Options
    glw said:

That's rich coming from you, when you have poured cold water on dozens of polls you didn't like over the last few weeks. You are not fooling anybody on here with your ill-thought-out opinions about polling, this is the worst place for you to post such claptrap and think you can get away with it.
    Somebody left their sense of humour at home today
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

nunu2 said:

Evidence of Artificial Intelligence?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kinabalu said:

The upper case is higher than that I would have thought.
    Of course it is corbyn is poison even worse than Johnson.
  • Options
    Deltapoll constituency polls were due at 7pm.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

My humour is just fine, I'm simply tired of reading your nonsense every time a new poll crops up.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Remain? I thought you voted Leave.
    Not all Leavers are still leavers. Though I do not see leaving with a deal as a disaster.
  • Options
    glw said:

glw said:

My humour is just fine, I'm simply tired of reading your nonsense every time a new poll crops up.
    You don't need to respond you know, you're not required to.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    RobD said:

You kid, but I remember "always take the best number for Conservatives and the worst number for Labour" being said seriously here in 2017
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

The new gold standard!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    MikeL said:

Posted 16s ago, lol

https://twitter.com/martinboon/status/1203391582587772931
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

That's the Times.

CHB

Actually, a better punishment would be to set his bedtime to 9.55pm on Thursday....
  • Options
    melcf said:

RobD said:
    That'll do, Pig......
    Opinium always overestimates the Tories
    Keep the champagne back on ice
    We wouldn't want to live in the ignominium of having been taken in by Opinium.
  • Options
    Guildford, I knew it!
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    MikeL said:

Some time after 7pm, it's up to the client.
  • Options
    Well no one can accuse Opinium of herding!
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2019
    That Guildford poll tallies up with my experience, so it must be right!
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019
    Out of interest I'm comparing a plot of Jeremy Corbyn's campaign visits and rallies to his from 2017.

In 2017 Corbyn campaigned almost evenly accross england, but did no campaigning south of the Thames, and very little in wales and scotland.
    Corbyn visited almost all places along the M62 and M56.

This time he is doing almost no campaigning in the space between London and Birmigham, and a lot more in wales, scotland, the east mildands and the rural north west.
    Corbyn has visited almost all places on the M1 from Nottingham to Sheffield.

Glaringly I don't think he has visited Lincon, Bedford and Norwich this time.
  • Options

That Guildford poll tallies up with my experience, so it must be right!

Extremely close!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

That's the Times.

CHB

If we become the 51st State, OTOH, that will be barred under the Eighth Amendment.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    MikeL said:

It shows libdems just about taking Guildford

https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1203391306455822342
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,073
    A killer stat from the opinium guts. The labour campaign is viewed more negatively than May's 2017 campaign.
  • Options
    They should have polled Winchester, which is quite similar to Guildford from recollection.
  • Options

A killer stat from the opinium guts. The labour campaign is viewed more negatively than May's 2017 campaign.

Good lord, lol.
  • Options
    Southport, constituency voting intention:

CON: 43% (+4)
    LAB: 35% (+2)
    LDEM: 22% (-4)

via @DeltaPoll, 02 - 06 Dec
    Chgs. w/ GE2017
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    Bets:
    Lab in Doncaster North @1.5 (!) - £15
    Lab in Barnsley Central @1.3 - £10 - thought this was good value but suggestions today it might be far closer than it ought to be
    Lab in Aberavon @1.3 - £10
    Lab in Canterbury @ 2.0 - £8
    Lab in Lincoln @2.5 - £3
    NOM @2.5 - £20
    Con seats 290-299 @33 - £3
    SNP in Aberdeen S @1.44 - £10
    PC in Ronddha @13 - £5

All for fun - no overall strategy bar bets to ease the pain as Con falls short, again...
This discussion has been closed.