Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson’s taking a big gamble avoiding Andrew Neil

Comments

• Options
    I recall writing something like this.

**Andrew Neil with the chair**
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    nico67 said:

Wow 1 million views already for the Andrew Neil challenge to Johnson .

I remember Tories being really excited about a widely shared video about Corbyn's past associations. In 2017.
  • Options

You were making you own political version of Cluedo?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

I confess I have no idea if there are shy labour voters about on the basis that if they exist they are shy and not wont to advertise themselves.

They're certainly not shy on twitter lol
  • Options
    Jo Swinson drifting in East Dunbartonshire. New best prices:

SLD 2/5
    SNP 5/2
    SLab 66/1
    SCon 100/1
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019

kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

*IF* (and it's a big "if" at this stage, of course,) the polls stay where they are and turn out to be broadly predictive of the final vote shares, then it will become apparent that the election campaign effectively ended after about three weeks. The voters made their minds up and moved on to other things.

Whither the robots? Did their batteries fall out?
    We're not going to know the answer to that until the results come in. The polls could narrow (though they're not showing much sign of doing so at the moment,) or they could turn out to have been wrong.
    I think there may be a shy Labour effect this time around. To say you're voting Labour if you voted Leave seems inconsistent so I suspect many people will put themselves down as don't knows. But I expect don't knows to largely break for Labour in the Brexity northern heartlands.

And of course the pull of ancestral memories and tribal identity may be too hard to resist once people get to the ballot box. I think quite a few people quite like the Conservatives but worry their dead granddad or whoever would die of shame if he knew their family was voting for the hated Tories. On polling day this will be worth a % or two for Labour.
    You may very well be proved right.
    Funny. I was thinking the same yesterday and today whilst out and about. A sense that there are shy Labour supporters around.

May be wrong.
    Lots of shy FORMER Labour voters. Not telling anyone - family, friends, pollsters - that they have abandoned Labour, just in case it turns out they need to distance themselves from it if their faith in Boris was misplaced.....
    Within my circle, I find a lot of people still willing to say they will vote Labour and justify it as despite Corbyn, but because they have the right policies and the evil Tories. It feels very much like they are very happy to signal to others they are supportive of general Labour brand, even if they think Corbyn is a best a wally / at worst very dodgy.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    TimT said:

kle4 said:

TimT said:

I actually thought Corbyn's response to this journalist-fabricated non-story quite good:

'I'm campaigning to win the election to become prime minister, that's quite enough and I just want to do the job of prime minister, I'm not really very interested in country houses.'

I want Corbyn's version of Labour to go down so badly it is wiped from this history books. But this type of tripe really is a distraction at best.

He was the one who brought this up in the first place (unlike the Queen's speech). If you are going to announced a policy, it is normally a reasonable idea to know at least the most basic thing about it.
    Well exactly. Even if just something he was floating half seriously, for example, I get baffled when people talk about journalistic non stories when it arises from things the candidate has said themselves.
    My understanding was that he did not initiate it, but was asked by a previous journalist if he would, like McDonnell, open up Chequers to the homeless. So it was not something he floated, but something a journalist floated.
    Fair enough if that's the case, but initiation was not the main point as to whether he said it (I genuinely don't know) - if he said nothing about it then there's nothing to criticise, if he said something about it then whoever started it his comments are fair enough to be scrutinised and criticised, unless we think Boris should not be criticised if he says something idiotic just because someone asked him about it first rather than him starting it?

You say something then it will be looked into. Don't ad lib, don't guess - if you have nothing to say, say nothing, or have something to say and say it no matter the question, as Yes Minister famously taught us. Politicians and supporters complaining about what people ask them, or look into things they said, is a bad look.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

No-one's mentioned how Farage got on in his Brillo interview before Brillo went for the empty chair. In my opinion Farage handled Brillo better than any other interviewee. In fact he got the better of him, but of course Farage is now a side-show. Obviously Brillo had planned his attack on Boris, so finished the interview with Farage early enough to get it done. He's burnt his boats and will be persona non grata at CCHQ, but maybe he won't care as he retires in the lavender fields of Grasse.

Unless Neil is the factor which swings this election, which seems improbable, why would he be persona non grata? Is this yet another sign of the pettiness and vindictiveness of Boris?
    That is *my* opinion. I wouldn't take it as gospel. But - again in my opinion - they're going to avoid the msm backlash exemplified by Brillo's splenetic attack in the future.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

I remember Tories being really excited about a widely shared video about Corbyn's past associations. In 2017.
    No you see it's only silly when Labour fans do it
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TimT said:

kle4 said:

TimT said:

I actually thought Corbyn's response to this journalist-fabricated non-story quite good:

'I'm campaigning to win the election to become prime minister, that's quite enough and I just want to do the job of prime minister, I'm not really very interested in country houses.'

I want Corbyn's version of Labour to go down so badly it is wiped from this history books. But this type of tripe really is a distraction at best.

He was the one who brought this up in the first place (unlike the Queen's speech). If you are going to announced a policy, it is normally a reasonable idea to know at least the most basic thing about it.
    Well exactly. Even if just something he was floating half seriously, for example, I get baffled when people talk about journalistic non stories when it arises from things the candidate has said themselves.
    My understanding was that he did not initiate it, but was asked by a previous journalist if he would, like McDonnell, open up Chequers to the homeless. So it was not something he floated, but something a journalist floated.
    Fair enough if that's the case, but initiation was not the main point as to whether he said it (I genuinely don't know) - if he said nothing about it then there's nothing to criticise, if he said something about it then whoever started it his comments are fair enough to be scrutinised and criticised, unless we think Boris should not be criticised if he says something idiotic just because someone asked him about it first rather than him starting it?
    Back in the day we used to say "ask a silly question, get a silly answer". Modern journalists seem to regard this as a winning strategy.
  • Options

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

The same Labour fans who spent the last fortnight crying about how the BBC pumped out nothing but pro-Tory propaganda?
  • Options
    The Wrexham constituency poll tonight with conservatives at 44% labour at 29% is an eye opener especially as it is in the Airbus catchment area

If true labour are going to have a very bad night on the 12th
  • Options
    geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

No-one's mentioned how Farage got on in his Brillo interview before Brillo went for the empty chair. In my opinion Farage handled Brillo better than any other interviewee. In fact he got the better of him, but of course Farage is now a side-show. Obviously Brillo had planned his attack on Boris, so finished the interview with Farage early enough to get it done. He's burnt his boats and will be persona non grata at CCHQ, but maybe he won't care as he retires in the lavender fields of Grasse.

Unless Neil is the factor which swings this election, which seems improbable, why would he be persona non grata? Is this yet another sign of the pettiness and vindictiveness of Boris?
    That is *my* opinion. I wouldn't take it as gospel. But - again in my opinion - they're going to avoid the msm backlash exemplified by Brillo's splenetic attack in the future.
    Yes it is your opinion, but it would fit very well with Boris and his circle's approach, so while it is not gospel it's probably not far off. It's the same reason HYUFD's immediate reaction to the prorogration case decision was to declare the Supreme Court would be taken to the cleaners (I'm paraphrasing here) was worth noting, and lo and behold that is the plan, covered up with vague language.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kle4 said:

TimT said:

kle4 said:

TimT said:

No problem with him being asked about it. And no problem with Corbyn saying, "well, if it turns out not to be possible, it's not possible. It was never a real policy of mine or my focus, it was an off-the-cuff response to a direct journalist question."

It's hardly a real gotcha. It is tripe.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

The difference is this is the BBC and not some clip from the right wing press doing the rounds .
  • Options
    Wow. Mark Steyn is withering about old Blighty:

The Formerly Great Britain has also featured prominently in the news lately with the most recent jihad attack on London Bridge. This latest attack showcased extreme civilian bravery, the idiocy of public policy relating to terrorists, and inane do-gooder rehabilitation schemes that end up in murder. It also highlighted the particularly Western phenomenon of human sacrifice. And it's not just bureaucrats anymore: it's parents offering up their children. We are also apparently supposed to take moral direction from London Mayor Sadiq Khan, who not only says diversity our strength, but that we should take our inspiration from the murder victims who dedicated their lives to the individuals that eventually murdered them. Very inspirational – for terrorists that is.

https://www.steynonline.com/9890/prince-andrew-puke-of-york

Of course, Steyn used to refer to Boris as 'my old friend' but doesn't anymore, presumably because Boris stopped returning his calls. I'm not getting the impression that Steyn regards Boris's imminent victory as a new dawn.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

In fairness, he will get much more sense from the average chair than from our distinctly below average PM.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

*IF* (and it's a big "if" at this stage, of course,) the polls stay where they are and turn out to be broadly predictive of the final vote shares, then it will become apparent that the election campaign effectively ended after about three weeks. The voters made their minds up and moved on to other things.

We're not going to know the answer to that until the results come in. The polls could narrow (though they're not showing much sign of doing so at the moment,) or they could turn out to have been wrong.
    I think there may be a shy Labour effect this time around. To say you're voting Labour if you voted Leave seems inconsistent so I suspect many people will put themselves down as don't knows. But I expect don't knows to largely break for Labour in the Brexity northern heartlands.

And of course the pull of ancestral memories and tribal identity may be too hard to resist once people get to the ballot box. I think quite a few people quite like the Conservatives but worry their dead granddad or whoever would die of shame if he knew their family was voting for the hated Tories. On polling day this will be worth a % or two for Labour.
    Funny. I was thinking the same yesterday and today whilst out and about. A sense that there are shy Labour supporters around.

May be wrong.
    Lots of shy FORMER Labour voters. Not telling anyone - family, friends, pollsters - that they have abandoned Labour, just in case it turns out they need to distance themselves from it if their faith in Boris was misplaced.....
    Within my circle, I find a lot of people still willing to say they will vote Labour and justify it as despite Corbyn, but because they have the right policies and the evil Tories. It feels very much like they are very happy to signal to others they are supportive of general Labour brand, even if they think Corbyn is a best a wally / at worst very dodgy.
    But then vote for Boris......
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2019

nico67 said:

Remember when we had an hourly count on how many people watched Jezza is a terrorist sympathiser video in 2017?
    Do I ever. I was chief mocker of the video rampers

However... Thing to remember about the terrorist video is that it was a paid advert, running in front of all my fucking YouTube videos. This is entirely organic sharing. Of course, all million views could be in America for all we know.
  • Options
    I've got a good anecdote for Labour too - apparently every second house near Bents Green school (Hallam) has a labour poster on it
  • Options
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

The difference is this is the BBC and not some clip from the right wing press doing the rounds .
    Didn't we just hear that the BBC is the right wing press.
  • Options

The Wrexham constituency poll tonight with conservatives at 44% labour at 29% is an eye opener especially as it is in the Airbus catchment area

That’s got to be an error. Surely. If Labour are suffering that badly in Wrexham 1931 might look like a picnic.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

And how many millions of views did clips from Jezza's clown car crash interview get both online and via traditional media, and actually I don't think it shifted any votes.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

Brexit is one of most spectacular mistakes in EU history, says Tusk

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/05/brexit-one-of-most-spectacular-mistakes-in-eu-history-donald-tusk

That's the Tory PPB for Northern voters....

Given the results of Tusk's EU presidency, I think Donald Tusk was one of the most spectacular mistakes of EU history.

The problem of management of the EU is that governments appoint political failures and exiles for EU jobs, it's a recipe for guaranteed failure.

Juncker for instance was the first Luxembourg PM to have lost re-election in 40 years, that's quite an achievement.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

nico67 said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

And how many millions of views did clips from Jezza's clown car crash interview get both online and via traditional media, and actually I don't think it shifted any votes.
    It's the same story - both sides sharing the video amongst themselves, while the swing voter is nowhere near twitter.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/05/brexit-one-of-most-spectacular-mistakes-in-eu-history-donald-tusk

Given the results of Tusk's EU presidency, I think Donald Tusk was one of the most spectacular mistakes of EU history.

The problem of management of the EU is that governments appoint political failures and exiles for EU jobs, it's a recipe for guaranteed failure.

Juncker for instance was the first Luxembourg PM to have lost re-election in 40 years, that's quite an achievement.
    He didn’t. He was sacked after his security forces were found rigging the elections in his favour, not that he knew about it, oh no, how could he possibly have done...
  • Options
    The clip is just incredible. Andrew Neil is a true giant.
  • Options

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

It's very easy to spot political behaviours, as they are things that both sides criticise each other for despite engaging in it themselves. It's like if the LDs complained about misleading barcharts. It wouldn't matter so much if the more, er, intense loyalists of each side acted like they remembered that they took the complete opposite side to things or behaviours when the other side did it. It's actually more worrying when people genuinely think only Labour are rude to opponents online for example, or only Tories say racist things.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

I'm not sure it should be the media, getting together to decide who in their cosy cabal gets to do what interviews. Ground rules need to be agreed well in advance with a special body. The audiences should be silent and respectful, like they are in US debates. And I would have no debates within 10 days of polling.

These debates should not descend into ego trips and a desire to satisfy the news broadcaster's need for 24/7 bread and circuses. I want forensic examination of our leaders/potential leaders. I don't want gotcha telly. That they are still fighting over who attends what when, after most of the postals have already gone in is pathetic, on all sides. Nobody comes out of it with credit.

Yes, I agree - the way it's done now feeds the idea of politics as entertainment and blood sport.

I'm still fond of what they did (for all I know still do) in Denmark:

1. Give all parties 45 minutes to make their case however they choose - films, endorsements, policy wonks, whatever.

2. The next day, give a panel of journalists 45 minutes to probe, challenge, seek explanations, cite evidence - all perfectly polite, but ruthlessly precise.

Start with the smallest party at the last election, 3 weeks before the vote, and repeat every couple of days with the next largest. Every party gets the same time (subject to a minimum number of signatures to stand at all) - the big parties are closer to election day because they'll probably form a government, but you don't get any extra time just because you were big last time - you need to win by having better arguments.

3. Conclude with one all-leaders debate.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,548

He is talking his own book. No-one has the tiniest idea how this will work out. Just as no-one yet knows whether the EU will be an anti democratic and sclerotic disaster or a great thing or something in the middle.

• Options

How many times have you watched it now?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

May be wrong.
    But then vote for Boris......
    I have a sneaking suspicion that a number will be voting Lib Dem, but don't want to be associated with voting for the coalition partners and want to continue to signal their Labour principles.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    ydoethur said:

That’s got to be an error. Surely. If Labour are suffering that badly in Wrexham 1931 might look like a picnic.
    IIRC 'phone poll, 430 respodents, dk excluded
  • Options

Haven't we learned anything from Lord Ashcroft's 2015 constituency polling ?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Brutal but entirely deserved. A liar, a coward and a cheat.

This is the 1st comment on the thread. Says it all really. After that typically brilliant challenge by Neil I can't see BJ turning up.
    But it won't make any difference to Tory body politic any more than Impeachment by the House will make much impact on the hard core Trumpists, speaking of which here's a recent article about the latter:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/opinion/life-expectancy-united-states.html
  • Options
    RobD said:

About 5
  • Options
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

Given the excitement is over how widely viewed something is I don't see that the content being from a different source does make a difference. The point remains that the argument there would appear to be that a viral clip is meaningless when helpful to one side, but not meaningless when is helpful to the other.

It's a great clip, very effective and concise in laying out the major flaws of Johnson, delivered with gravitas. But being seen a lot isn't huge.
  • Options
    RobD said:

As long as no one admits to wearing it sans pants, that's fine.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Is there a link to this poll, erroneous or not?
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited December 2019

No he isn't. He is a master of his syle of interviewing. At the same time he is as much a narcissist as anyone in the political/media bubble.
  • Options
    It's not Twitter, it's BBC News, which is seen by a lot of people. This clip is going viral via BBC News.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    ydoethur said:

Think the sample was 400 odd so margin of error wider than normal. So gap could be far far less (if it exists). That said it’s hardly bad news for Boris even allowing for the caveats.

Nevertheless fat lady, singing, not until, and all that. Still 6 days to go.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    ydoethur said:

FWIW, the last big batch of constituency polls yielded results not too far different from the YouGov MRP. The Wrexham one, however, doesn't: the central projection in the MRP gives a four-point Tory lead.
  • Options
    One of the areas that flattered to deceive last time IIRC. Do you believe that poll?
  • Options
    Why are some Tories getting so defensive about the 3 minute clip .

I’m sure they’d be loving it if Corbyn had tried to dodge AN and he laid into him .
  • Options

It's not Twitter, it's BBC News, which is seen by a lot of people. This clip is going viral via BBC News.

It is a comfort blanket for you but will not change a vote
  • Options
    Whoever made that chart going back in time, Bravo!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

He didn’t. He was sacked after his security forces were found rigging the elections in his favour, not that he knew about it, oh no, how could he possibly have done...
    Not quite, after the scandal he called an early election which resulted in his party being in opposition for the first time since 1974:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Luxembourg_general_election

But anyway he gave the impression that he was mostly drunk on the job most of the time.
  • Options
    JamesPJamesP Posts: 85
    Conservatives now 1.03 for most seats
  • Options

We will see about that.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,319
    edited December 2019

ydoethur said:

See my post below 9.27pm
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I’m sure they’d be loving it if Corbyn had tried to dodge AN and he laid into him .

I think most of us on here were/are saying he should do the interview.
  • Options
    This doesn't gain a tonne of traction because the leaders debate is happening tommorow which will dominate the political news cycle.
  • Options

Was the decision to pursue the issue in such a prominent way signed off by Tony Hall? It's disturbing that news organisations have taken it upon themselves to define the electoral process. Every pathetic A5 flyer must carry the address of the printer and publisher, but TV channels can apparently say and do whatever suits them.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    PeterC said:

No he isn't. He is a master of his syle of interviewing. At the same time he is as much a narcissist as anyone in the political/media bubble.
    He is nothing of the narcissist that Boris is.
  • Options

Far more important is the Wrexham constituency poll tonight
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Maybe but it shows that Johnson is not only a mendacious disingenuous racist buffoon, but he's also an out and out coward.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Orthodox Jews seeking to join Labour party faced home vetting visits, dossier alleges
    https://t.co/iz3vOvNLCW
  • Options

Lol! As a Labour supporter we need comfort blankets but let us enjoy the best 3 minute Labour Party Broadcast of the campaign!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

See my post below 9.27pm
    Thank you.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

ydoethur said:

Think the sample was 400 odd so margin of error wider than normal. So gap could be far far less (if it exists). That said it’s hardly bad news for Boris even allowing for the caveats.

Nevertheless fat lady, singing, not until, and all that. Still 6 days to go.
    It was a Survation poll
  • Options
    Re Wrexham. The Tory candidate failed to turn up for the election debate. Taking a leaf from the Johnson playbook.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This doesn't gain a tonne of traction because the leaders debate is happening tommorow which will dominate the political news cycle.

I think it would have been far harder for Boris if Neil had offered the challenge earlier this week. Now, as you say he will appear in a debate tomorrow night and that is another couple of days.

Then I presume Labour will announce some massive attempted bribe on Sunday and before we know it is Wednesday.
  • Options
    Tories seem to be very quick to dismiss something we know for a fact they'd be going on about if this was Corbyn
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

People are queuing up to laugh at the old buffoon's impotent pomposity. One sentence precis: Does Mr Johnson not realise how important I am?
  • Options
    RobD said:

nico67 said:

I think most of us on here were/are saying he should do the interview.
    Ah, but if you don't think it is the most amazing thing since sliced bread, and even if you do think it but don't think people should be too excited, then its being defensive. We're one step away from the perennial 'X must be rattled'.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

Well unless the BBC make the debate about Bozza not doing he interview, which they might do as an act of revenge. Tbh, he looks bad either way now.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    TimT said:

The EU was one of the most spectacular mistakes in world history.
    Is Tusk taking responsibility for that mistake?
    Tusk and Juncker should have both resigned after the Brexit vote, just as Cameron should have resigned if Scotland voted Yes.
  • Options
    He almost certainly won't do the interview now - but this was worth it
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Well unless the BBC make the debate about Bozza not doing he interview, which they might do as an act of revenge. Tbh, he looks bad either way now.
    I very much expect to give him a very rough time tomorrow night. If they make it all about not doing an interview though, it will look very weird as he is standing there doing a debate.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Tories seem to be very quick to dismiss something we know for a fact they'd be going on about if this was Corbyn

But Corbyn was torn a new orifice in his interview and it changed very little.
    Despite him coming across as a lying, clueless, tired, stupid, racist fool.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Maybe but it shows that Johnson is not only a mendacious disingenuous racist buffoon, but he's also an out and out coward.
    He talks tough, but while he is flexible and that can see him achieve things, he folds easy and runs away whenever he can. He's not strong or stable. Unfortunately, people don't mind that.
  • Options

Orthodox Jews seeking to join Labour party faced home vetting visits, dossier alleges
    https://t.co/iz3vOvNLCW

Why would you want to join a party that would discriminate against you like that? And even if it weren't discriminatory against one social group, who would consent to home vetting visits to join a political party?
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2019

Then if it's so easy Johnson should go on there - what's he got to hide?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Almost as good as a Lib Dodgy bar chart?
  • Options

He almost certainly won't do the interview now - but this was worth it

Given an interview would have him cracking jokes or spluttering in a way that might have made for a good clip but also might have made putting together a good viral video harder, it's probably better for Labour than the interview would have been, particularly if Boris had done ok.
  • Options

nico67 said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

Well I think it made a pretty bad impression, but the disaster was mitigated considerably once it became known that Johnson was going to chicken out.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Didn't Gordon Brown avoid being interviewed by Andrew Neil for most of his time in government?

I can understand that BBC and other channels might want to maintain high viewing figures during a General Election campaign, but how many people will watch tomorrow's programme given that it is on the last Friday of the campaign. Many people will be heading off for Christmas drink and parties.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

Not quite, after the scandal he called an early election which resulted in his party being in opposition for the first time since 1974:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Luxembourg_general_election

But anyway he gave the impression that he was mostly drunk on the job most of the time.
    No. He ‘resigned’, triggering the election.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23264789
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    There must be a poll tonight surely? It’s exactly 1 week til the exit poll!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Toms said:

Brutal but entirely deserved. A liar, a coward and a cheat.

This is the 1st comment on the thread. Says it all really. After that typically brilliant challenge by Neil I can't see BJ turning up.
    But it won't make any difference to Tory body politic any more than Impeachment by the House will make much impact on the hard core Trumpists, speaking of which here's a recent article about the latter:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/opinion/life-expectancy-united-states.html
    Real median household income in America also didn't exceed it's 1999 peak until 2016. It's like America lost a major war.

https://alfred.stlouisfed.org/series?seid=MEHOINUSA672N&utm_source=series_page&utm_medium=related_content&utm_term=related_resources&utm_campaign=alfred

It explains a lot of things.
  • Options
    1.4M views now!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    It's like the revoke petition all over again.
  • Options
    Brom said:

There must be a poll tonight surely? It’s exactly 1 week til the exit poll!

I blooming hope so.
  • Options
    Apparently IPSOS coming tomorrow
  • Options

1.4M views now!!!

How many people signed that petition on A50?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214

nichomar said:

Posted this too late on previous thread I hope anyone who hasn’t had their children vaccinated against MMR is taking bot of the news from Samoa.

My son's school currently has quite a serious outbreak of mumps. I was worried for my son momentarily before I remembered that one of the 'M's in MMR stood for mumps so, having his had shots as planned, I believe he should be fine.

But my next thought was then one of some horror at the implications of these other kids getting mumps which I assume means they never had the MMR.
    Children are a reservoir of disease as it is. Quite why it is that the presence of unvaccinated kids in schools is still tolerated I don't know.
    Were I PM, MMR vaccination would be compulsory for kids to go to school, Andrew Wakefield would be extradited from the US and put in prison for all the harm he has done and people who believe in homeopathy and all this anti-vaccination rubbish should have the vote taken away (and given remedial science classes) as they are clearly too stupid to be allowed out on their own. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

The LDs will make promising to being interviewed by Andrew Neil their core policy as a result?
    (They do have a policy about mandating leaders' debates already)
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Nothing. Unlike Mr Corbyn and his cupboard of terrorist skeletons.

The fact it’s winding-up Labour supporters something rotten is a source of extreme amusement for me.

Nothing funnier than a foam-mouthed leftie 😂

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Indeed. 10 pm next Thursday. I think a medium to large Con win is baked in but nevertheless I will be wracked with tension as for every GE except for 2001.
    Yeah, I wasn’t exactly holding my breath in 2001 either.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    IshmaelZ said:

People are queuing up to laugh at the old buffoon's impotent pomposity. One sentence precis: Does Mr Johnson not realise how important I am?
    Tsk

Come on.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Never upset a local paper's picture editor.

Jacob Rees-Mogg arrives late for only public grilling of election https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/general-election-2019-jacob-rees-3614056?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

It's just a convention that time goes from left to right. Open your eyes to a new perspective!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

No, because it's based on real numbers scaled appropriately. It is a very effective way of presenting the data graphically, given we read from left to right and given that presenting time right to left breaks expectations.
  • Options

The fact it’s winding-up Labour supporters something rotten is a source of extreme amusement for me.

I know, right? Since they enjoy videos so much, maybe they'd like this one from today's Sun homepage:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/10491940/footage-shows-jeremy-corbyn-embracing-islamic-hate-preacher-who-was-jailed-over-hamas-fundraising/

"JEREMY Corbyn was filmed embracing a hate preacher who said Israelis make bread with children’s blood.

The Labour leader met Sheik Raed Salah and shook hands with him in 2012 after he smuggled himself into the UK to give a number of hate speeches.

He was arrested on the orders of the then Home Secretary Theresa May, and although his deportation was blocked a judge ruled he used the blood libel - a trope which claims that Jews kill children to use their blood for religious rituals.

Yet the new clip – which emerged today – showed Corbyn shaking the cleric’s hand at the same meeting where he called him an “honoured citizen” and invited him for tea in Parliament."

Puts things into perspective, doesn't it?
  • Options

Corbyn was scrutinised, it was a car crash.
    But Johnson has run away, why?
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    edited December 2019
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

The LDs will make promising to being interviewed by Andrew Neil their core policy as a result?
    (They do have a policy about mandating leaders' debates already)
    Why bother having a policy to mandate debates if TV channels have already done it?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

1.4M views now!!!

How many people signed that petition on A50?
    6 million, which did absolutely nothing, as did this petition which got 203 signatures:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/233104
This discussion has been closed.