Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A 200/1 Tip for Next Prime Minister

Comments

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    olm said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No different to Major's lead over Kinnock in 1992 then, just a lower LD vote meaning a bigger Tory majority overall
    But the trend is shocking for the Tories. Their lead could well have halved in 10 days at this rate.
    The Tories vote has moved zilch, nada on this poll.

All that has happened is Labour have squeezed the LDs a bit
    Can't analyse just based on inferring simple swings.
    There's clearly movement in several polls (including Greens and Brexit Party and SNP), that movement can be more complex than one imagines - voters from Lab going to Con, voters from Con going to Lab and Lab to Green, it's not simple swings. Thus, it's possible voters are leaving Cons, but we can't see it yet as it's disguised by other movements. We'll find out...
    According to the narrative that this is 2017 redux, the Tory poll vote shares won't move much in the next two weeks. It's purely about how well Labour can squeeze the minor parties back to 2017 levels.
    It's the lib dem and green scores that matter, not the Tories.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited November 2019

Such excitement as one poll or another is pounced upon to spin for the posters cause and yet little has changed even within moe and I am content to expect a modest Boris majority with a chance of a hung parliament, but no more than a chance

If the conservative vote was falling then that would be the point a hung parliament becomes more likely

It has changed. 10 days ago the Tories were at minimum 10 points ahead, more like 12. Now it definitely seems in the 7-8% range, with the trend clearly in Labour's favour.

I have said from the start, the Tories needed to keep that 10%+ lead as I don't believe that all the Northern working class support for the Tories will actually be realized come the GE, so they need a big buffer for when flat cap Fred getting into the polling station, thinks about his dad, and his dad's dad, telling him Labour is on his side.
    The trend has been there for a while, it's just been creeping slower than in 2017 so it's gone more ignored until now. It looks like people are 'coming home' (I hate that phrase) to Labour, if nothing else because they are getting vastly more coverage - good or bad, it's still more coverage - while the Tory campaign has been almost entirely non-existent, just like in 2017.

It seems CCHQ and the Tories have forgotten how to fight a general election campaign. The last time they were actually proactive, rather than simply reactive and waiting for Labour to fuck-up, was in 2015.

I lumped on a hung parliaiment yesterday and that's looking on the money.
    That is the most shocking thing. 2010 and 2015, the Tories fought a campaign, like really fought. When Boris became PM, despite all the media outcry, missteps etc, there appeared to be groundwork being laid regarding setting up the Brexit getting it done, people vs parliament type narrative.

I assumed they would then go into the GE with that, plus policies that showed why once Brexit is done, we can do x, y and z (yes BS, Brexit won't be done just like that, etc etc etc, but that's not the point).

This time they literally go days without announcing anything at all, where as every day Labour have some new money spending ideas to throw out at another demographic.
    There's simply no cut-through. Look at today's 'big' Gisela announcement.

Like last time, I've been told the Tories have waited until the final fortnight to get going, let's hope that - unlike last time - they actually do.
  • Options
    I am updating my prediction.

I think it will be:

Tories 40%, Labour 38%. HP.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited November 2019
    humbugger said:

Afternoon all. Just an early taste of all the redundancies that will be visited upon the country if Labour form the next government. Very sad for those concerned just before Christmas.

Perhaps more important is that it shows the bad management we can expect from a Labour government. The next two weeks are vital and you want all your staff to be as motivated and focused as possible. This I don't think achieves that.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2019
    Gabs3 said:

HYUFD said:
    Centre-right social policy and centre-left economic policy is by far the best electoral winner, regardless of the merits of such policy.
    When we should be doing the opposite....that is the most depressing thing about the whole situation, the Overton window has shifted from the consensus of the past 20 years.

The Lib Dems trying to push the centre-left social policy / centrist economic policy are getting absolutely smashed, despite a huge percentage of the population agreeing with them on Brexit.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

If he had taken out a super injunction it wouldn't be a question that could be asked

A super injunction would prevent the reporting of the fact that there is an injunction to prevent the reporting of the fact that Boris Johnson either has X children or has X children that he knows about and has acknowledged plus Y children that he claims are not his, or has the X plus the Y plus a further Z children that he thinks might be his.
    Such a situation, if it somehow came out, would be extremely damaging for him politically. If it came out before the election, well need we go on?
    Actually I don’t think any potential Conservative voters would give a damn.

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Islamophobia in the Tory Party a problem: 39% for, 30% against, is the narrative cutting through?

No.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,146
    Endillion said:

olm said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No different to Major's lead over Kinnock in 1992 then, just a lower LD vote meaning a bigger Tory majority overall
    But the trend is shocking for the Tories. Their lead could well have halved in 10 days at this rate.

There's clearly movement in several polls (including Greens and Brexit Party and SNP), that movement can be more complex than one imagines - voters from Lab going to Con, voters from Con going to Lab and Lab to Green, it's not simple swings. Thus, it's possible voters are leaving Cons, but we can't see it yet as it's disguised by other movements. We'll find out...
    According to the narrative that this is 2017 redux, the Tory poll vote shares won't move much in the next two weeks. It's purely about how well Labour can squeeze the minor parties back to 2017 levels.
    It's the lib dem and green scores that matter, not the Tories.
    Actually it is the Brexit Party score that matters in the majority of seats MRP forecasts the Tories will gain, as in most of them the Brexit Party vote is ahead of the LDs vote

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/11/27/key-findings-our-mrp
  • Options
    Ashcroft:

"Jeremy Corbyn’s brandishing of a report that he claimed revealed secret Tory plans to privatise the NHS had clearly had an impact. If the actual evidence still seemed hazy at best, even some previous Conservative voters feared that the story might contain more than a grain of truth: “I’m a bit concerned about the NHS and the possibility of privatisation. I think the Tory party are considering selling, and that would be a disaster. Jeremy Corbyn says he’s got evidence to suggest that;” “Whether or not you think the Tories want to sell the NHS, it’s the fact that it’s Trump and he made his billions from dodgy deals, and the Tories are dealing with him;” “I worry about the NHS and medication, selling off the pharmaceutical side of things. You don’t actually know what’s true;” “It’s not only Corbyn who is suggesting it, other parties are too. There’s no smoke without fire.”"

Labour might have played a bit of a trump card here
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    humbugger said:

Afternoon all. Just an early taste of all the redundancies that will be visited upon the country if Labour form the next government. Very sad for those concerned just before Christmas.
    What were they thinking?

The optics are awful
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2019
    TOPPING said:

on topic
    great post thanks @Philip_Thompson.
    That said I am still struggling with the whole "looking forward to a banana and bacon pizza" thing so am withholding wholehearted approval for the moment.

Thank you Topping.

As for the pizza, don't knock if it you've not tried it. Cooked banana and bacon is a great combination and works really well on a pizza. By far not the strangest pizza topping I've tried - I daren't name on this site the oddest pizza topping I tried once while overseas (it was not a fruit).
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    It’s important to remember that polling questions on what’s the biggest issue to people needs to be distinguished between what’s the biggest for the country and what personally it is .

And of course in terms of voter motivation that will be key to those marginal seats . The Tories need Brexit to be the defining issue in those , Labour need Leave voters to put public services ahead .
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,323
    Gabs3 said:

A weak Corbyn minority still gives Corbyn control of foreign policy, collapse of NATO as a functional organization, abandonment of allies etc.

Doubt that such would occur. But, sure, for those who believe otherwise this would be a big factor to set against their desire for Remain.
  • Options
    Floater said:

humbugger said:

What were they thinking?

The optics are awful
    The public schoolboys and girls/nepotistic appointments at the top of the party wouldn't really understand that this looks bad, as they don't know any genuinely working class people.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Seems like the polls this time are less spread out

Let's see over the weekend what happens to those previous high-teen leads. If they come down to 10 or so....
  • Options

Such excitement as one poll or another is pounced upon to spin for the posters cause and yet little has changed even within moe and I am content to expect a modest Boris majority with a chance of a hung parliament, but no more than a chance

If the conservative vote was falling then that would be the point a hung parliament becomes more likely

It has changed. 10 days ago the Tories were at minimum 10 points ahead, more like 12. Now it definitely seems in the 7-8% range, with the trend clearly in Labour's favour.

I have said from the start, the Tories needed to keep that 10%+ lead as I don't believe that all the Northern working class support for the Tories will actually be realized come the GE, so they need a big buffer for when flat cap Fred getting into the polling station, thinks about his dad, and his dad's dad, telling him Labour is on his side.
    The trend has been there for a while, it's just been creeping slower than in 2017 so it's gone more ignored until now. It looks like people are 'coming home' (I hate that phrase) to Labour, if nothing else because they are getting vastly more coverage - good or bad, it's still more coverage - while the Tory campaign has been almost entirely non-existent, just like in 2017.

It seems CCHQ and the Tories have forgotten how to fight a general election campaign. The last time they were actually proactive, rather than simply reactive and waiting for Labour to fuck-up, was in 2015.

That is the most shocking thing. 2010 and 2015, the Tories fought a campaign, like really fought. When Boris became PM, despite all the media outcry, missteps etc, there appeared to be groundwork being laid regarding setting up the Brexit getting it done, people vs parliament type narrative.

I assumed they would then go into the GE with that, plus policies that showed why once Brexit is done, we can do x, y and z (yes BS, Brexit won't be done just like that, etc etc etc, but that's not the point).

This time they literally go days without announcing anything at all, where as every day Labour have some new money spending ideas to throw out at another demographic.

Like last time, I've been told the Tories have waited until the final fortnight to get going, let's hope that - unlike last time - they actually do.
    Well they aren't going to get much coverage Sunday / Monday / Tuesday as we will be back to Prince Andrew stuff.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Well everyone keeps saying the Tories have run another dreadful campaign, it can't be that bad if they are still leading by 7-10% two weeks from the election. At the start of the campaign, they would have happily taken that lead. Would Labour have been happy with the same lead/deficit? Why of course they would - because we all know this is an **exact re-run of magical 2017**.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

No conundrum at all. We (yes all of us) think Corbyn is a liability and an anti-semitic c**t.
    Does that answer your question?

I meant the "conundrum" for Labour. As to how it plays out in the aggregate mind of all those individual "Non Left Remainers" - such as your good self - we will see on Dec 13th, won't we?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

I think it will be:

So you were saying Tories 37 only 2 days ago? You're ridiculous!
  • Options
    Jason said:

Well everyone keeps saying the Tories have run another dreadful campaign, it can't be that bad if they are still leading by 7-10% two weeks from the election. At the start of the campaign, they would have happily taken that lead. Would Labour have been happy with the same lead/deficit? Why of course they would - because we all know this is an **exact re-run of magical 2017**.

The trend is pretty much spot on 2017 though.

Look at Labour's polling before and after the election was called.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Jason said:

They are up against a f##king total moron and his right hand man a Marxist...and whose party have a total nonsense Brexit policy. If this was Blair / Bad Al / Mandy trying to defeat the current Labour party, they would absolutely smash them back into the last century where they belong.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I don't know why the Tories are so keen for Boris to go on Marr, he isn't exactly an impartial or sympathetic interviewer when it comes to Cameron / Boris type posh boys. He really hates them.
  • Options

imo it's because they've built an unstable electoral coalition based entirely on Brexit - as soon as they move on to what they do after Brexit, they don't have an offer that will satisfy both working-class leavers in post-industrial towns (Stoke, Mansfield etc) and the more traditional Tory leavers in (mostly) southern villages and market towns.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The Tories really shouldn’t lose this election . They have a lot of the fundamentals in their favour with the Leave vote .

Very few Tory Leavers will ever contemplate voting for Labour where as more Labour voters would switch the other way .

Tory Remainers so far have been quite loyal to the party . So it’s down to that group and Labour Leavers which will dictate the outcome of the election.

The BP standing down in those Tory seats has really harmed the Lib Dems . To not get a decent majority with so much in their favour the Tories really will have outdone May !
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,895
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Putting Panelbase into my model gives:

Tory majority 24
    Labour slowly closing the gap

Willbe a bigger than average Tory swing in Labour Leave seats and even 24 would be the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher
    I think your model overestimates LDs no chance of 30 imo

I think your model underestimates Lab 217 very unlikely imo

Con could be about right Small Johnson Maj most likely outcome imo
  • Options
    edited November 2019

I think it will be:

Until the next round of polls are released..............

CHB you change your narrative every single day of the week.
  • Options

Jason said:

Mass hysteria, as usual, over a single opinion poll. We've gone from a landslide to hung parliament in the space of a week. **Sigh**.

Every single poll is showing the gap narrowing. Traditional Labour are coming home. Always do.
    It appears they are “coming home” from LD rather than Con. the interesting thing would be in which seats they are moving up.
  • Options

Think you're wrong about that. Many social conservatives would take a dim view of somebody who plays fast and loose with fatherhood.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Abolishing private school charitable status, 41% for, 19% against

This for me is one of Labour's very best policies.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

kinabalu said:

If he had taken out a super injunction it wouldn't be a question that could be asked

A super injunction would prevent the reporting of the fact that there is an injunction to prevent the reporting of the fact that Boris Johnson either has X children or has X children that he knows about and has acknowledged plus Y children that he claims are not his, or has the X plus the Y plus a further Z children that he thinks might be his.
    Such a situation, if it somehow came out, would be extremely damaging for him politically. If it came out before the election, well need we go on?

Well, looking at this ideologically - conservatives would care more than liberals or collectivists.
  • Options

Brom said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Mass hysteria, as usual, over a single opinion poll. We've gone from a landslide to hung parliament in the space of a week. **Sigh**.

Every single poll is showing the gap narrowing. Traditional Labour are coming home. Always do.
    I do find it amusing how much certainty individuals can discern from polls. You're even predicting the motiviations of 'returning Labour voters'. If your guess turns out to be accurate, it will be the most counter-intuitive election of all time, because the traditional Labour voters you seem to have a psychic connection with loathe Jeremy Corbyn.
    It's literally what happened in 2017
    I thought Labour were regularly hitting 38 or 39% at this stage in 2017 no?
    They had hit high 30s in some but were low 30s in others and leads as low as 5% had been reported. This weekends equivalent polls were 4,6,7,12 and 14 leads with labour 33 to 39 in VI
    Its hard to envisage a gap as small as 4 this weekend and Opinium should surely be as big as 14 so Tories ahead of last time imo.

That tallys with Chesterfield and Bolsover feedback too.

"doing worse than last time but not by much"
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Think you're wrong about that. Many social conservatives would take a dim view of somebody who plays fast and loose with fatherhood.
    Conservative Party members didn't vote for Boris on the basis that he's a safe pair of trousers.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Well, looking at this ideologically - conservatives would care more than liberals or collectivists.
    Yet I only see leftwingers banging on about it. Funny that!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    kinabalu said:

I meant the "conundrum" for Labour. As to how it plays out in the aggregate mind of all those individual "Non Left Remainers" - such as your good self - we will see on Dec 13th, won't we?

Ah I see. Haven't you purged all the "non-left Remainers"?
  • Options
    humbugger said:

Wheras not even close to how bad it will be under Johnsons No Deal at end of 2020
  • Options

Jason said:

Since the first polls after election announced:

Savanta: Tories up 5 Labour up 6
    Panelbase: Tories up 2 Labour up 5
    Yougov: Tories up 4 Labour up 5

2017:

Yougov: Tories down 5 Labour up 12
    Panelbase: Tories down 1 Labour up 6
    Comres: Tories down 4 Labour up 9

I know you don't like to be skewered but all the information is out there.
  • Options
    Brom said:

I think it will be:

The Tories have maintained their above 40 polling, so I've updated my prediction, you're welcome to come back to me at another time
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Tory majority 24

Willbe a bigger than average Tory swing in Labour Leave seats and even 24 would be the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher

Those LibDem not-going-to-happen gains from Tories gives a bit of headroom for a Tory majority. Allows Scotland to be a bit worse than 10 holds and for Wales to creep back to Labour some.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Brom said:

I think it will be:

The Tories have maintained their above 40 polling, so I've updated my prediction, you're welcome to come back to me at another time
    I look forward to your next changes Comical Ali
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ah I see. Haven't you purged all the "non-left Remainers"?

They are still very welcome to vote for us :wink:
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,713
    Do we think this tree planting pledge has something to do with this spike in poplarity?
    I'll get my hat and coat...
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,699

I see little prospect of any increase in the amount of groundwork in the Tory campaign in the run-up to Christmas. Apart from anything else, I have not noticed any positive enthusiasm for a party lead by a gang of buffoons, chancers, liars and cheats. This sort of leadership does not motivate decent Conservatives to turn out in the cold and the wet.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Tory majority 24

Those LibDem not-going-to-happen gains from Tories gives a bit of headroom for a Tory majority. Allows Scotland to be a bit worse than 10 holds and for Wales to creep back to Labour some.
    If you think that the Barnesian model underestimates Labour at 217 - then get your money on Labour Over 208.5 seats with Bet365 @ 5/6.
    I`m on.
  • Options
    In two weeks time, by now those last few recounts should be coming through.... The picture should be clear. But it might be Boris's majority requires those recounts to come in.

Or it could be a 68 majority and we'll all have been in bed by 1.30 am......
  • Options

Conservative Party members didn't vote for Boris on the basis that he's a safe pair of trousers.

True. Shagger is fine. But feckless father?
  • Options

Let's see over the weekend what happens to those previous high-teen leads. If they come down to 10 or so....
    Opinium cant go lower than 14 from 19 surely

Genuine question you have been reporting Con vote hardening over last few days in your patch why do you think the polls arent showing any movement?
  • Options
    I'm glad you get a laugh out of my posts, all the very best
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,991
    Who the hell are all these Labour voters that emerge out of the woodwork with a few weeks to go to the election ?
  • Options
    148grss said:

Do we think this tree planting pledge has something to do with this spike in poplarity?
    Bring back the birch for such puns.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    kinabalu said:

True. Shagger is fine. But feckless father?
    Perhaps the unsafe trousers adds to his charm? Then again, according to Marquee_Mark, women don`t like him so maybe that doesn`t work.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Who the hell are all these Labour voters that emerge out of the woodwork with a few weeks to go to the election ?

The shy Labour voter
  • Options

Opinium cant go lower than 14 from 19 surely

Genuine question you have been reporting Con vote hardening over last few days in your patch why do you think the polls arent showing any movement?
    Opinium were closest with the Tory vote share in 2017, underestimated Labour by 4 points though.
  • Options

humbugger said:

Wheras not even close to how bad it will be under Johnsons No Deal at end of 2020
    No doubt the individuals concerned would be delighted with your expression of support and regret. No story about Labour is too bad to prevent some diversionary whataboutery eh BJO?
  • Options
    Brom said:

Jason said:

2017:
    The lack of Tory drop is interesting this time around, but a) in 2017 they started higher in the polls and b) their campaign was abysmal rather than just bad. It will be interesting to see if they get ~ the same as May did, but due to vote efficiency and divided opposition, whether they get more seats out of it. I still think Lab can squeeze some more votes, and that Tories can drop a few. Again, I think Tory ceiling is 42, Lab 36.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    nico67 said:

The Tories really shouldn’t lose this election . They have a lot of the fundamentals in their favour with the Leave vote .

Very few Tory Leavers will ever contemplate voting for Labour where as more Labour voters would switch the other way .

Tory Remainers so far have been quite loyal to the party . So it’s down to that group and Labour Leavers which will dictate the outcome of the election.

The BP standing down in those Tory seats has really harmed the Lib Dems . To not get a decent majority with so much in their favour the Tories really will have outdone May !

The Tories won't actually LOSE the election, they are certain to wim most seats and 75% certain to gain an overall majority.
    A very large majority can lead to bad government especially with such a poor official opposition.
    A Tory majority of about 30 would mean that they can deliver Brexit, see off Corbyn and remove Boris in mid term if he buggers things up.
    The Labour party can get an electable leader and return to the days of New Labour, the far left will moan about that but where can they go?
    Hopefully the odious SNP will start to decline back to relative obscurity as well.
  • Options
    Crazy busy day with work so just dipping in. I remain convinced that national big Tory lead headlines are lagging polls not catching up with regional and local moves on the ground. UNS won't mean a lot in this election. Which could just as easily deliver a disproportionately big Tory majority off a small lead as deliver a very hung parliament led by Jezbollah - depends on exactly where the variances fall. A lot of seats in 2017 won with very small majorities - I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more seats and smaller figures for the majority in 2019.
  • Options

148grss said:

No need for that, I'll leaf willingly
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Always the same.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Jason said:

2017:

Didnt we start with a 25% lead in 2017 and end up with 2% So a movement of 7% only with PanelBase looks strange
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,363

https://www.drg.global/wp-content/uploads/Panelbase-GB-poll-tables-for-publication-281119.pdf

71% say NHS/health in top 3, 53% say Brexit - have I interpreted this right?

Yes
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595

148grss said:

Fir Firks Sake...!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    148grss said:

Brom said:

Jason said:

2017:
    The lack of Tory drop is interesting this time around, but a) in 2017 they started higher in the polls and b) their campaign was abysmal rather than just bad. It will be interesting to see if they get ~ the same as May did, but due to vote efficiency and divided opposition, whether they get more seats out of it. I still think Lab can squeeze some more votes, and that Tories can drop a few. Again, I think Tory ceiling is 42, Lab 36.
    And I don`t think that (42/36) is likely to be sufficient for a majority.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1200410891059171328

This is all the momentum (pardon the pun) the Labour sides need.

Hung Parliament here we come - and an end to Brexit.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Perhaps the unsafe trousers adds to his charm? Then again, according to Marquee_Mark, women don`t like him so maybe that doesn`t work.

It definitely does add to his appeal with some people. I've heard plenty of it. Mainly from men of a certain 'type'. One tries to avoid these sorts but it's not always possible.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,939
    The Conservative vote share isn't declining as it was, by this stage, in 2017. 45-47% for the right wing pro-Brexit parties looks like it's baked in.

I think this will be more like 1979 than 2017. The MRP implies that the Conservative vote share is dropping most in places in where it can afford to lose votes, while advancing in heavily Leave constituencies.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Brom said:

Jason said:

2017:
    My opinion is the Tory ceiling is 44 and Lab ceiling 38. I'm thinking a 43/37 result.

I do expect the Tories will do slightly better on the day than the polls suggest as there will be quite a lot of people who think they can vote BXP on the day and will end up voting Tory in the 317 seats, but that won't actually help them to gain any off Labour.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Always the same.
    These next two weeks can't go quickly enough !

In other news I've bought a new Telly.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2019
    Can I just point out that Labour as a radically left-wing party is still polling higher than Brown and Ed all achieved
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

They're the legendary voters who Labour supporters say are 'returning home' whenever an opinion poll is produced that shows a slight narrowing well within moe. The same Labour leave voters who detest Corbyn, like Boris, are strong Brexit enthusiasts and deplore the idea of another referendum.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

They're the legendary voters who Labour supporters say are 'returning home' whenever an opinion poll is produced that shows a slight narrowing well within moe. The same Labour leave voters who detest Corbyn, like Boris, are strong Brexit enthusiasts and deplore the idea of another referendum.
    It happened last time.

And the trend is it's happening again.

We will see where we are this time next week.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Ashcroft:
    "Jeremy Corbyn’s brandishing of a report that he claimed revealed secret Tory plans to privatise the NHS had clearly had an impact. If the actual evidence still seemed hazy at best, even some previous Conservative voters feared that the story might contain more than a grain of truth: “I’m a bit concerned about the NHS and the possibility of privatisation. I think the Tory party are considering selling, and that would be a disaster. Jeremy Corbyn says he’s got evidence to suggest that;” “Whether or not you think the Tories want to sell the NHS, it’s the fact that it’s Trump and he made his billions from dodgy deals, and the Tories are dealing with him;” “I worry about the NHS and medication, selling off the pharmaceutical side of things. You don’t actually know what’s true;” “It’s not only Corbyn who is suggesting it, other parties are too. There’s no smoke without fire.”"
    Labour might have played a bit of a trump card here

I think you (and the noble Lord) have it right here. There will def be cut through. NHS has problems and Cons' commitment to spend on it will be viewed in the same light as their "do or die" pledges on Brexit. ie don't believe a fucking word of it.
    Although he is positioning this as a first Johnson administration, it would of course be a fourth Conservative one and I think people will become more and more nervous in particular about the NHS as a result.
  • Options
    olmolm Posts: 125
    edited November 2019
    Brom said:

olm said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Highly unlikely but given your communist outburst earlier your analysis is clearly one to avoid.
    Nice. Mud-sling slurs instead of engaging? Or do you care to explain how anything I've written is a 'communist outburst', or is that merely your response to my criticism of Johnson and why I think his government poses a risk to the country?

As for the actual topic: it's not highly unlikely, it's quite feasible in the coming fortnight. It might be small, but small is significant in this election. For example Scotland, Unionist voters lending votes may move away, in Wales voters may move back from Con to PC, and Con to LD in England.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

It definitely does add to his appeal with some people. I've heard plenty of it. Mainly from men of a certain 'type'. One tries to avoid these sorts but it's not always possible.
    Just asked my wife: she says that Boris is a bit of a "cad and a bounder" which gives him a certain charm (she won`t vote Tory, but that`s cus she`s a LibDem).
    Then again she married me so what does she know?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,701
    Penddu2 said:

148grss said:

Fir Firks Sake...!
    I think it is time for those betting on a Tory majority to hedge.

• Options

Can I just point out that Labour as a radically left-wing party is still polling higher than Brown and Ed all achieved

The trouble is that the Tories are polling better still.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Policies are always far easier and quicker to change than culture, whatever level of human society you look at.
  • Options
    A Populus poll for Finchley & Golders Green has Con 29%, Lib Dem 24%, Labour 14%, the rest being mostly don't knows/ won't vote presumably.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,701
    Pulpstar said:

The ones who just registered to vote in the past week.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think you (and the noble Lord) have it right here. There will def be cut through. NHS has problems and Cons' commitment to spend on it will be viewed in the same light as their "do or die" pledges on Brexit. ie don't believe a fucking word of it.
    Although he is positioning this as a first Johnson administration, it would of course be a fourth Conservative one and I think people will become more and more nervous in particular about the NHS as a result.

The really dumb thing is that the Tories have been given some very good opportunities to attack Labour on the NHS, which they are not using. They should be laying into Labour on the implications for the NHS of their 4-day week stuff, signing back into the Working Hours directive, and most of all on Labour's plan to stop referring patients to locally-popular privately-run hospitals and clinics.
  • Options

Betfair have Tory Majority coming in at 1.44. No overall majority could be value at 5/2?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

148grss said:

Brom said:

Jason said:

2017:
    And I don`t think that (42/36) is likely to be sufficient for a majority.
    It probably wouldn't be, but it would depend on the LD vote efficiency and SNP. If we get to the ceiling, it's HP territory, and I think a lead of 5 or less is HP (I think the Tories could sneak a small maj at 7% lead nationally)
  • Options
    Tories don't need a majority, 323 will do - so long as the Shinners don't rock up !
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

A Populus poll for Finchley & Golders Green has Con 29%, Lib Dem 24%, Labour 14%, the rest being mostly don't knows/ won't vote presumably.

Wow - LibDems (Berger) much closer than I thought.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,959

You can indeed. But I do have to in turn point out that they lost with their prospectus, and on current polling Corbyn will lose with his on two successive elections, thereby leaving the Conservatives in power from 2010-2024 and possibly much longer.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Jason said:

2017:

I have not checked all your figures but YG is incorrect

First YG after election called was 36 Con 21 Lab 18 LD 13 BXP out on 1/11/19 fieldwork 29/10 to 30/10
    Latest YG 43 Con 32 Lab 13LD

So Tories up 7 Lab up 11

If you are claiming to skewer someone please post the correct data
  • Options

The really dumb thing is that the Tories have been given some very good opportunities to attack Labour on the NHS, which they are not using. They should be laying into Labour on the implications for the NHS of their 4-day week stuff, signing back into the Working Hours directive, and most of all on Labour's plan to stop referring patients to locally-popular privately-run hospitals and clinics.

I dunno. This is not a details election; it is a mood election. So Cons can huff and puff and but..but...all they want but the perception that they are running down and then selling (there's a logic fail right there) the NHS is taking hold.
    People are having shocking experiences at the hands of the NHS and are wondering if anything is going to change. Cons may have all kinds of plans to address this but the perception is that they won't. Because they haven't.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

Still losing like them as well, four in a row now.

• Options

Brown spent 13 years living in Downing Street. Ed was facing a first term Tory-led government just a couple of years after Labour ran out of money.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,959
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Always the same.

Excellent. Is it a nice telly?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Betfair have Tory Majority coming in at 1.44. No overall majority could be value at 5/2?
    I already took it a few months ago at 1.94, might stick some more on now
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    In the last few days I've started to be deluged with paid-for ads by the Labour party on my facebook newsfeed. Extrapolating from my sample of one, I conclude that Labour has given up on Leave voters in the North and Midlands and is now focusing on trying to take every last seat in London.
  • Options
    I think odds on Labour majority are good value. It won't happen but I expect they'll drop when the polls narrow further.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

But there is a difference between worker rights policies affecting the NHS and selling it off. Coz Labour can always just say "we will have a 24/7 NHS on a 4 day working week by hiring more nurses and doctors, paying them better wages and spending more money" whereas accusations of privitisation, something Tories ideologically are in favour of, are more difficult to wave away with something else. Labour's answer would be nonsense, but it would be nonsense in line with what people expect from them. The Tories just saying "no we won't privatise stuff" runs opposite to what people know of Tories.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That's quite a difference from the YouGov MRP model, which has central forecasts of Con 45%, Lab 28%, LD 27% (albeit with large error bars on those figures). But then I guess the YouGov model doesn't take account of the LibDems throwing every bar-chart they've got at this seat.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Always the same.

Excellent. Is it a nice telly?
    What did you do with the old one?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458
    viewcode said:

You can indeed. But I do have to in turn point out that they lost with their prospectus, and on current polling Corbyn will lose with his on two successive elections, thereby leaving the Conservatives in power from 2010-2024 and possibly much longer.

I would argue that labour are 'missing' those ~50 Scottish MPs they took for granted during New labour
  • Options

Brown spent 13 years living in Downing Street. Ed was facing a first term Tory-led government just a couple of years after Labour ran out of money.
    Labour did not run out of money.
This discussion has been closed.