Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A 200/1 Tip for Next Prime Minister

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Tapering money that does not exist and never will.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

It does feel a lot to me after the climate debate debacle, then McDonnell going all Keegan this morning on the BBC and now outrage over Boris on LBC that the opposition are losing the plot somewhat and are windmilling a lot without any focus, which does seem a good sign for the Tories.
    Though I don't approve of it there does seem to be a lot of Tory trolling of the opposition this election and as the Tom McTeague article earlier suggested this campaign is more Lynton Crosby and up until now at least more controlled and successful than 2 years ago.

A lot of increasingly desperate thrashing about for a gotcha moment going on
    Whatever the technicalities, it is quite clear the Tories don't give a tuppenny damn about climate change.
    It really doesn't warrant it's own debate in a GE campaign, it's not and has never been the electorates number 1 concern.
    But it should be, and it does. Sure, the Tory attitude is to downplay or ignore it; that does not alter the reality.
    More important than "saving the NHS"?
    Climate change activates a good share of the population disengaged by normal politics. Getting them voting is a good start. Worth noting that the XR protests polled surprisingly well.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    Surely if the tapers were unfair, the compensation to balance them will appear extreme?

I'd have thought a top Economist might have a mind that would consider that as an option.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    edited November 2019

I'd have thought that the Lib Dems would be 100% certain to get Brexit sorted... by just cancelling it!
    Does anyone seriously imagine that Brexit would simply go away if they did that?

• Options
    Brom said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

It does feel a lot to me after the climate debate debacle, then McDonnell going all Keegan this morning on the BBC and now outrage over Boris on LBC that the opposition are losing the plot somewhat and are windmilling a lot without any focus, which does seem a good sign for the Tories.
    Though I don't approve of it there does seem to be a lot of Tory trolling of the opposition this election and as the Tom McTeague article earlier suggested this campaign is more Lynton Crosby and up until now at least more controlled and successful than 2 years ago.

Whatever the technicalities, it is quite clear the Tories don't give a tuppenny damn about climate change.
    Brexit will probably decide this election, climate change will not. That is down to the voters and not the Tory party fault.

Haven't polls shown that climate change scepticism is largely confined to Brexit-backers? It's part of the cultural tapestry that Brexit is really all about.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,049

It doesn't matter what Channel 4 wanted. Ofcom rules are that representation must be offered to parties. Gove was sent as a representative of the party. We do not have a Presidential Election we have a Parliamentary one and Gove is a representative of the party just as much as Johnson is.
    Channel 4 is not permitted to create its own media rules. Ofcom creates the rules.

FWIW, Stephen Bush disagrees with you:

"The Conservatives are threatening to take Channel 4 to Ofcom, but the broadcaster's rights are clear: they have an obligation to grant an equal opportunity to the leader of those parties but if those leaders decline they can response as they wish. But the complaint - and the threat by that party to revisit Channel 4's license after the election - is the latest example of the ruling party's willingness to break norms to avoid scrutiny."

I'd be mildly (though not very) interested to see the official Ofcom chapter & verse.
    i) MRDA (Political Editor at New Statesman)
    ii) Bush is wrong - the Tories HAVE complained to OfCom:
    https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1200123409050619905?s=20
    One can lead a horse to water....... It is always permissible to LODGE a complaint. It is equally permissible for the adjudicator to point out that the complaint is 'a load of humbug'.
    As someone notoriously said recently.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Channel 4 Climate Change Debate: 800,000 viewers

By the end of the show it actually had less viewers than 'The UK's Strongest Man' on Channel 5

Conservative Party Election broadcast on BBC1: 3.6m
    Celebrity Antiques Road Trip on BBC2 : 1.4m

For those yesterday proclaiming that this was too important for Boris to miss I think these viewing figures speak volumes for how little people care for Channel 4 News and how climate change is not high up public priority lists.

Yeah, it not being important enough was deffo the reason for BJ's non attendance. In that context, what are the listening figs for Nick Ferrari?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

It really doesn't warrant it's own debate in a GE campaign, it's not and has never been the electorates number 1 concern.
    But it should be, and it does. Sure, the Tory attitude is to downplay or ignore it; that does not alter the reality.
    More important than "saving the NHS?"
    Yes, IMO.
    Clearly what the UK does is not going to make a huge difference in absolute terms to the global output of CO2. But if someone doesn't demonstrate pretty damn soon that it is possible to re-engineer a country's energy production and usage to cut out CO2, while still maintaining a growth economy, then there is little hope for any global efforts.
    We are exceedingly well placed to both do that and prosper from it.

So you're planning to Vote Conservative then? Because that is the Conservative Party platform. Also what we've been doing, we've cut emissions faster than any other developed economy and are generating renewable energy at world leading rates, all while maintaining a growth economy.
    Under Corbyn and McDonnell there is no chance of the countries CO2 getting cut out while still maintaining a growth economy.
  • Options

Kirkcaldy may be the birthplace of Adam Smith but if it falls to the Tories we truly are living in the End Times.

It won't and we aren't - yet. Anyone betting on the Tories here are just giving free money to the bookies Christmas fund.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,322
    How many has he got?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2019
    Brom said:

For those yesterday proclaiming that this was too important for Boris to miss I think these viewing figures speak volumes for how little people care for Channel 4 News and how climate change is not high up public priority lists.

To be fair, climate change is no doubt high up the list of priorities of many voters, but watching ignorant politicians grandstanding and trying to score cheap political points about climate change less so.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Brexit will probably decide this election, climate change will not. That is down to the voters and not the Tory party fault.

Haven't polls shown that climate change scepticism is largely confined to Brexit-backers? It's part of the cultural tapestry that Brexit is really all about.

We had some XR people outside our office the other week. young and old, leave and remain just thought they were arseholes. Outside the twitter/Channel 4 echo chamber it just isn't important as the debate viewing figures prove. 800,000 is a pathetic amount for a hyped debate in peak on a Thursday.

Yes people want cleaner air and are happy to recycle but it's nowhere near as important as Brexit, the economy or the NHS when deciding how to vote.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2019
    148grss said:
    Try it with bacon. Banana and bacon pizza is an incredible combination. Delicious!
    EDIT: On second look, it looks like its got bacon on it. Yes that's a good pizza mmmm I might have that for dinner tonight.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Channel 4 is a fringe broadcaster. If they want to have a fringe debate I see no reason why they shoudn't.
    They have no right to demand the Prime Minister attends it though and fringe parties no doubt will want the attention but for a fringe debate on a fringe channel sending a Secretary of State is entirely appropriate.
    If Channel 4 want a debate on an important subject and specify that party leaders should attend then they are within their rights to empty chair those who do not attend.
    It is not a good look for the leader of any party to appear not to care about the Climate Emergency.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,049
    kinabalu said:

How many has he got?

Does even he know?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Yes, IMO.
    Clearly what the UK does is not going to make a huge difference in absolute terms to the global output of CO2. But if someone doesn't demonstrate pretty damn soon that it is possible to re-engineer a country's energy production and usage to cut out CO2, while still maintaining a growth economy, then there is little hope for any global efforts.
    So you're planning to Vote Conservative then? Because that is the Conservative Party platform. Also what we've been doing, we've cut emissions faster than any other developed economy and are generating renewable energy at world leading rates, all while maintaining a growth economy.
    Under Corbyn and McDonnell there is no chance of the countries CO2 getting cut out while still maintaining a growth economy.
    No, it is not.
    The Tory platform is to put it on the back burner and make some half hearted gestures. That was made eminently clear by the absence of Johnson - and the Tory talk yesterday of climate change being a 'distraction' from Brexit.
  • Options

Brom said:

By the end of the show it actually had less viewers than 'The UK's Strongest Man' on Channel 5

Yeah, it not being important enough was deffo the reason for BJ's non attendance. In that context, what are the listening figs for Nick Ferrari?
    According to the latest figures Nick Ferrari has 1.4m listeners. So almost double that of the Channel 4 debate.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

How many has he got?

Perhaps he's taken out a super injunction on anyone telling him? That would explain the expression of slithering vacancy that comes over BJ's puss when the subject comes up.
  • Options

Brom said:

Absolutely, which is why I'm surprised the Tories are kicking up such a fuss about it now. It would be a bit amusing if Corbyn now turns down the Ferrari interview.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,503

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Yes, IMO.

There's actually a lot of pretty good things that the government is doing about climate change. If you compare where we arenow to where we were 20 years agothe progress is astonishing
    If you compare us to other European countries we're doing pretty well. I wonder why the government doesn't make more of this?
  • Options

148grss said:

Alistair said:

Streeter said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Johnson has just received a kicking from Nick Ferrari.

He will get kickings now from everyone, and rightly so, for his cowardice. This will snowball and lead to people believing he can’t be trusted with a majority if he keeps dodging scrutiny.

Very very dangerous.
    In case people are wondering. Ferrari went there

https://twitter.com/Aiannucci/status/1200352921243787264?s=19
    About time someone did. What kind of person won’t answer that question?
    Someone who doesn't want to bring his kids into the glare of politics. The follow up to that question would inevitably be people trying to identify those kids and they would end up in the media spotlight. How is that fair or reasonable on them if that's not wanted?
    It doesn't have a single thing to do with politics or running the country.
    Ferrari pointed out the Boris has commented on other people's kids highlighting his hypocrisy on the issue.
    He is also using his own dad as a surrogate, so obviously non political family members are allowed to be in the media spotlight as long as it isn't embarrassing for the PM.
    You don't see a difference between consensual adults and children? 🙄😲
    Was his father not an MEP?

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,363
    maaarsh said:

We all know full well if Corbyn had ducked this debate the Tories here would be attacking him. Johnson is a coward and running scared, it's evidently obvious.

And you seem quite annoyed by it. I wonder why.
    Amusing to see the veneer of interested engagement degenerate in to angry name calling over the last week. Hard to work out if its as they're excited they now have a chance, or they know they don't.
    Lots of us aren't into angry name-calling. But PB has degenerated a bit into quite serious analysis when a poll turns up but a lot of point-scoring tosh while we wait for the next one, like addicts whose dealer is not coming round till tomorrow. The basic truth is that we don't any longer really know what triggers voters beyond the basic "Get Brexit done" vs "Save the NHS" memes. Johnson ducking interviews? Climate change? Trump and the NHS? Who knows?
  • Options

Brom said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

You should be sceptical of most climate change coverage in the media and pushed by hustlers. It often shows no relationship to the truth, or more accurately the body of evidence. The debate has moved to the utter hysteria of “how dare you” and the idea that we will be extinct in a couple of decades, or that we have passed tipping points. People can see that. They can see the nonsensical claims of every flood, storm, mild winter, heavy winter, hot summer, wet summer is not evidence of climate change but evidence of climate.

The sad bit is this hysteria which is clearly untrue undermines the real concern of the impact of adding carbon to our atmosphere and the need to decarbonise over the next thirty years.

PS. Those who claim to know the most about many of these things can be astonishingly ignorant about the science and evidence.
  • Options
    Great spot Philip and wow was he impressive in that interview with Andrew Neil, which as we all know ain't easy!
    He was obviously viewed as a star performer in securing the plum Tory seat of Richmond in North Yorkshire ... a job for life without doubt.
    Needless to say by the time I read your thread this morning, Laddies had already halved their odds on him becoming the next PM from 200/1 to 100/1.But no matter, I accepted their £1 free bet, placing it on just this proposition which, along with my own oncer, still provided me with odd of 200/1!
    In the next Government, he really needs to secure one of the really big jobs, the obvious one being to succeed Sajid Javid at the Treasury, which should ensure him a good chance of making it to the very top.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,503
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Yes, IMO.

There's actually a lot of pretty good things that the government is doing about climate change. If you compare where we arenow to where we were 20 years agothe progress is astonishing
    If you compare us to other European countries we're doing pretty well. I wonder why the government doesn't make more of this?
    ... possibly because the government is some way greener than the voters it is seeking to attract?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, IMO.

No, it is not.
    The Tory platform is to put it on the back burner and make some half hearted gestures. That was made eminently clear by the absence of Johnson - and the Tory talk yesterday of climate change being a 'distraction' from Brexit.
    No the Tory Party has been taking serious actions which has led to a more than 1000% increase in renewable energy production in the last few years and to us using zero coal in energy production over the summer. This government was the first major developed economy to pledge carbon neutrality.
    Maybe if Channel 4 had allowed onto the debate the former Secretary of State for DEFRA responsible for those policies you might not be so ignorant in your aspersions now? What a shame.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322
    edited November 2019
    I really don't understand Dom's tactics of late. The Tories have completely squandered the terrible publicity Jezza's AN interview generated for Labour by turning the narrative to Boris and cowardice. The only explanation is that they've looked to Trump and concluded that a swaggering arrogance and sticking the finger to convention somehow gain plaudits in these destructive times. I'd have just kept things simple though and fought the campaign in a traditional manner. Why use this election to conduct some Trumpian experiment in the UK? Is it worth the risk?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424

Brom said:

To be fair, climate change is no doubt high up the list of priorities of many voters, but watching ignorant politicians grandstanding and trying to score cheap political points about climate change less so.
    The viewing figures would have been higher if Johnson had been involved, but impossible to tell how much higher.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Oh yippee we lose our freedom of movement to get cheaper tampons !
  • Options

I really don't understand Dom's tactics of late. The Tories have completely squandered the terrible publicity Jezza's AN interview generated for Labour by turning the narrative to Boris and cowardice. The only explanation is that they've looked to Trump and concluded that a swaggering arrogance and sticking the finger to convention somehow gains plaudits in these destructive times. I'd have just kept things simple though and fought the campaign in a traditional manner. Why use this election to conduct some Trumpian experiment in the UK? Is it worth the risk?

That's the narrative on twitter, I don't think its the narrative in swing seats.

I'll be interested to see if he does do the Neil interview or not.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

My wife is outraged she gets taxed on tampons. I believe plenty of women are.
  • Options
    I’m sure Bozo calling working class men , feckless , drunk , criminals will go down wonderfully in those Labour Leave seats !
  • Options

nico67 said:

I think more might be moved by the Waspi pledge .
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

I think more might be moved by the Waspi pledge .
    Bribe
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Jason said:

Tapering money that does not exist and never will.
    Tapers are incendiary. :smile:
  • Options
    I get taxed on the cure-all, prevent-all gastro-resistant aspirins I buy in Waitrose,
  • Options
    NorthernPowerhouseNorthernPowerhouse Posts: 557
    edited November 2019

nico67 said:

I worked out I paid more vat on face shaving equipment the space of three months than a woman would pay in vat tampons for her entire child baring life.
  • Options
    'I think there is a bias [in the BBC] towards saying that Israel has a democracy in the Middle East, that Israel has a right to exist, Israel has its security concerns.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7738205/Corbyn-says-BBC-biased-saying-Israel-right-exist.html
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,712

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, IMO.

No, it is not.
    No the Tory Party has been taking serious actions which has led to a more than 1000% increase in renewable energy production in the last few years and to us using zero coal in energy production over the summer. This government was the first major developed economy to pledge carbon neutrality.
    Maybe if Channel 4 had allowed onto the debate the former Secretary of State for DEFRA responsible for those policies you might not be so ignorant in your aspersions now? What a shame.
    I mean, the Labour policy of a Green Industrial Revolution will provide growth because it will be a huge injection of cash into the economy.
  • Options
    Good on her. There won't be any former Labour MPs supporting Labour at this rate.
  • Options

'I think there is a bias [in the BBC] towards saying that Israel has a democracy in the Middle East, that Israel has a right to exist, Israel has its security concerns.'https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7738205/Corbyn-says-BBC-biased-saying-Israel-right-exist.html

Yeah, that's a corker.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    geoffw said:

'I think there is a bias [in the BBC] towards saying that Israel has a democracy in the Middle East, that Israel has a right to exist, Israel has its security concerns.'https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7738205/Corbyn-says-BBC-biased-saying-Israel-right-exist.html

Yeah, that's a corker.
    Just read that - but nothing to see - oh no
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

'I think there is a bias [in the BBC] towards saying that Israel has a democracy in the Middle East, that Israel has a right to exist, Israel has its security concerns.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7738205/Corbyn-says-BBC-biased-saying-Israel-right-exist.html

Cue all of Corbyn's apologists saying 'it's already priced in' - as though that exonerates him from saying an entire nation has no right to exist.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
  • Options

nico67 said:

I worked out I paid more vat on face shaving equipment the space of three months than a woman would pay in vat tampons for her entire child baring life.
    Blimey, the term "throw-away razors" really applies in your case, how many do you get through ... a packet a day?
  • Options
    Floater said:
    He has also previously backed homeopathy....
  • Options
    For someone who is supposed to be ducking interviews all I have seen and heard is Boris on LBC and now doing a joint live press conferenvce with Michael Gove and Gisela Stuart

So virtually live all morning on the media hardly gives credence to him hiding away
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

nico67 said:

Why? I`ve never understood this. It`s a necessary product like many others. Toothpaste?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,712

Floater said:
    Didn't Hunt as Health Secretary back homeopathy?
  • Options
    Apparently the BBC have refused the Tories offer of him going on Marr until he agrees to the AN interview .
  • Options
    olmolm Posts: 125

eek said:

Foxy said:

Second anecdote alert. People are far more interested in the result this time round than last. I’m having far more unprompted conversations with family, friends clients and colleagues about the possible outcome. This goes way beyond the usual suspects.
    I’m not sure what this means other than a lot of people think this election really matters. People are worried.

Is that conversations in London, Sussex or both?
    I forecast low turnout, but that may well vary by region and demographic. Are we going to have five years of gerontocracy?
    I’m fortunate that my job gives me contacts right round the country and as it happens I have a widely scattered family too. My impression is that Remainers and Londoners are more highly strung than any group but there is a depth of loathing of Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn too. If my experience is typical, voting is going to be predominantly negative.
    It always in - in FPTP elections the choice is rarely your preferred candidate, normally it's pick the least worst that can win.

Trouble is in this election both sides are hideous so making that decision is incredibly hard.
    Third anecdote of the morning (and this one shocked me) - I heard someone musing out loud yesterday that Labour anti-Semitism was really bad but was it the worst thing when deciding how to vote?
    Well, it's hard to blame then when you look at the context - when one's ditching LDs, BP, and Greens to vote tactically, and choosing between a Tory party rife with anti-Semitism and Islamophobia and a racist, deceitful and incompetent homophobic leader who has no grasp of any policy detail vs a Labour party rife with anti-Semitism and a leader who is at least coherent and is clearly anti-racist, there's not much competition.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Does even he know?

That would certainly explain a lot. If you are asked a question where the truthful answer - in this case "no idea" - would be career ending it leaves you just two choices. Either you lie, say something like "eleven, seven boys, four girls" and then reel off their names and ages, hobbies, their hopes and dreams for the future, your hopes and dreams for their future etc - but that is a very dangerous hostage to fortune when it transpires and comes out that the eleven is actually only nine, and it's three boys and six girls, and the names are all completely different, there is no Tuscany, for example, nor a Barrington - therefore you can do only thing with the question, really, which is what Boris always does, dodge it.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Apparently the BBC have refused the Tories offer of him going on Marr until he agrees to the AN interview .

Probably will hold neither then
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,121
    Re tampon tax. It's not a matter of money, it's the principle of women being taxed on having a period. It's one of those issues that goes to the heart of inequality in society and any party that doesn't support scrapping tax on tampons doesn't get it
  • Options
    148grss said:

Floater said:
    Corbyn believes in a lot of things that can`t be verified by evidence. His brain doesn`t work that way. It`s truly terrifying.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2019
    nico67 said:

I am not sure why Boris would be so keen to go on Marr either. He has a record of playing silly buggers in the past e.g. Cameron and flashing up the Bullingdon photo off camera just when he was about to answer, Brown about his what medicines he takes.

I actually think Neil is a much more straight shooter. You will get tough questions, he will be well read about all the possible areas you try to take your answer and he will call you out on your BS.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Channel 4 is a fringe broadcaster. If they want to have a fringe debate I see no reason why they shoudn't.
    They have no right to demand the Prime Minister attends it though and fringe parties no doubt will want the attention but for a fringe debate on a fringe channel sending a Secretary of State is entirely appropriate.
    If Channel 4 want a debate on an important subject and specify that party leaders should attend then they are within their rights to empty chair those who do not attend.
    It is not a good look for the leader of any party to appear not to care about the Climate Emergency.
    His non-attendance was just typical tory vice signalling.
  • Options

For someone who is supposed to be ducking interviews all I have seen and heard is Boris on LBC and now doing a joint live press conferenvce with Michael Gove and Gisela Stuart
    So virtually live all morning on the media hardly gives credence to him hiding away

His non-appearance on a C4 virtue-signalling gang show is so outrageous! A few more non-shows and the apoplexy will be terminal for the cult.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Re tampon tax. It's not a matter of money, it's the principle of women being taxed on having a period. It's one of those issues that goes to the heart of inequality in society and any party that doesn't support scrapping tax on tampons doesn't get it

You`re right, I don`t get it.
    When Ray Mears buys a job lot of Tampax to use as kindling he can fucking pay the tax too.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Pulpstar said:

Let me add to the anecdotes, my colleague who voted leave and was a non voter 2017 is likely voting Tory to keep Corbyn out - even though she really doesn't like Johnson

I was going to vote LD as I did in the Euros, but the need to ensure that Corbyn doesn't get in means my vote has gone back home. All the leaders are dreadful, but Corbyn is the worst by a long way.
    Quite unbelievable that anyone can think Corbyn, Swinson, Sturgeon, or even Farage are worst than the (objectively) lying, doublethink-talking, racist, misogynist, machiavellian, frit, unethical, and policy-devoid Johnson, who can't even speak coherently on any topic - let alone understand policy detail.

For the public good, a hung parliament under Corbyn would be hugely better; giving actual majority power to Johnson, Patel, duplicitous Sunak, and double-think Gove is a dystopian nightmare.

Anyone listening to Hancock, Gove, Sunak, Johnson, Patel in interviews compared to Greens, LD, SNP and (loose, but well-intended) Lab, and even Farage, has to objectively see how dystopian the Tory line is. Scary.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Calling the shots.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Yes, IMO.

Because the comparison with what is necessary to avoid the melting of the Greenland and West Antarctic Ice Sheets does not look so good. Even if every country matched our efforts it would not be good enough - so we need to do more, but the government want to prevent that argument from being had.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,140
    148grss said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, IMO.

No, it is not.
    I mean, the Labour policy of a Green Industrial Revolution will provide growth because it will be a huge injection of cash into the economy.
    The only way a Labour Govt. will be good for a green UK economy is because after five years, our industry will no longer be here - it will either be bankrupt or have moved abroad (those that can avoid the legal restrictions).
    On the plus side, all those people unemployed will mean far, far fewer commuting journies each day.
    Er....yay.......
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @Dura_Ace snap! .. edit (not quite!)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2019
    Stocky said:

148grss said:

Floater said:
    Corbyn believes in a lot of things that can`t be verified by evidence. His brain doesn`t work that way. It`s truly terrifying.
    This is my biggest problem with Jezza. He has a particular set of beliefs, he has had them for 40 years and nothing, absolutely nothing with change them.

It is quite different from say I have a general philosophy about life, but I am open to adjusting that given new evidence.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    olm said:

Pulpstar said:

Let me add to the anecdotes, my colleague who voted leave and was a non voter 2017 is likely voting Tory to keep Corbyn out - even though she really doesn't like Johnson

I was going to vote LD as I did in the Euros, but the need to ensure that Corbyn doesn't get in means my vote has gone back home. All the leaders are dreadful, but Corbyn is the worst by a long way.
    Quite unbelievable that anyone can think Corbyn, Swinson, Sturgeon, or even Farage are worst than the (objectively) lying, doublethink-talking, racist, misogynist, machiavellian, frit, unethical, and policy-devoid Johnson, who can't even speak coherently on any topic - let alone understand policy detail.
    What policy detail does Corbyn understand again? Remind me.
  • Options
    olm said:

Pulpstar said:

It is but on Corbyn they do
  • Options
    Marr will be supremely pissed off if it goes ahead and AN doesn't. Basically the PM saying 'you're a soft, easy, pussy interviewer'
  • Options
    olm said:

Pulpstar said:

Hello, You appear to have got lost. This is the website you were looking for.

https://www.thecanary.co/
  • Options
    148grss said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Unnoticed, Elizabeth Warren's price for the Democratic nomination is sinking like a stone. She was last matched at 6.6.

Appalling news.
    Pete Buttigieg is apparently inexorably heading for the favourite slot.
    I only went and laid him off 2 weeks ago.
    Probably a good time to top up on Warren in all honesty.
    And definitely lay Bloomberg.
    Please, why lay Bloomberg when Clinton is right there to lay?
    Because he’s also stupidly short, shorter in fact.
    I’m laying both. And Yang. And Michelle Obama.
    Michelle Obama would win at a brokered convention. I'd go easy on laying her.
    The problem with that being that Michelle Obama does not want to be President of the United States. I will be one of Biden, Warren or Sanders; I think Warren is more likely just because she can hold together the Sanders coalition and get enough Clinton Dems on board, but either of the other two could get it. Pete Buttigeig will not be the nominee.
    If her Party said "Michelle, the polling says ONLY YOU can prevent another four years of Trump - PLEEEEEEEEASE...." the pressure on her to Do The Right Thing would be enormous.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

nico67 said:

Calling the shots.
    What is your source? I'm pretty sure that is not how the BBC work on these things, particularly during an election period.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Stocky said:

148grss said:

Floater said:
    This is my biggest problem with Jezza. He has a particular set of beliefs, he has had them for 40 years and nothing, absolutely nothing with change them.
    It`s not so much a political ideology, it`s almost a psychosis. He finds a group of people who he figures are "victims of an injustice" and advocates for them. Always a group - the individual is nowhere in his mind-set.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Perhaps he's taken out a super injunction on anyone telling him? That would explain the expression of slithering vacancy that comes over BJ's puss when the subject comes up.

Could well be. If so, the public would not, I sense, be amused. I'm wondering whether this could become a real election issue. I know people might say, "Super injunction to keep how many kids he has a big secret? Ha ha ha. That Boris!". But maybe not. Maybe people do draw a line somewhere and this could be where they decide to draw it.
  • Options

olm said:

Pulpstar said:

It is but on Corbyn they do
    Certainly I do.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I’m sure Bozo calling working class men , feckless , drunk , criminals will go down wonderfully in those Labour Leave seats !

It takes a certain kind of arrogance to call other men feckless when you don't know how many kids you have, and to criticise single mothers when you are a leading producer of single mothers yourself. No wonder he is too cowardly to be interviewed by Andrew Neil on this or anything else.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999

kle4 said:

People who expect Johnson to tack to the centre and pursue a deal with the EU that keeps us in close alignment with European norms should read this piece on the growing influence of free market pressure groups, funded by US money. Brexit is the crisis they have needed to reorient the UK economy towards the brutal US model.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/29/rightwing-thinktank-conservative-boris-johnson-brexit-atlas-network

Johnson is a weak individual who is counter intuitively persuasive once he does pick a side.
    What that means is he will pursue the easiest course open to him regardless of what he may have said he would do or what ideologically it seems like he would do. Strength of a group influencing his party will be relevant, but more relevant will be whatever gets people overall to complain less.
    You mean Johnson wins the election and then revokes A50 as it is less work than years and years of tedious detailed negotiations?
    I said easiest course open to him - theres a range of options that are politically feasible for him depending on size of majority for example. Revoking is simpler, but he could not do it.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

His non-attendance was just typical tory vice signalling.
    Stocky said:

You`re right, I don`t get it.
    When Ray Mears buys a job lot of Tampax to use as kindling he can fucking pay the tax too.
    Malcolm X : "If you stab me in the back then pull the knife out that doesn't make us equal."
  • Options

He avoids detailed scrutiny and always has. That's why he runs away from interviews with people like Neil, ducks appearing before Commons select committees and tries to close down Parliament. That is not the same as hiding away. He'll happily do stuff where he feels comfortable and knows that his lies will not be seized on.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2019
    148grss said:

Anorak said:

Sweet Jesus. Behold! The future of our country.
    https://twitter.com/manny_ottawa/status/1200059221972279297

It's almost as if skills need to be taught to humans and if they haven't they can't do things. Like how nobody in my office 35yo+ seems to be able to just google things they don't know how to do on excel or whatever. It's like we're tool using animals that learn through usage and repetition. The horror.
    It's a tin opener, not a fucking operating system and software package.
    And I'm in my mid-40s and can use Excel competently, thank you.
  • Options

Marr will be supremely pissed off if it goes ahead and AN doesn't. Basically the PM saying 'you're a soft, easy, pussy interviewer'

Well, he is.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Could well be. If so, the public would not, I sense, be amused. I'm wondering whether this could become a real election issue. I know people might say, "Super injunction to keep how many kids he has a big secret? Ha ha ha. That Boris!". But maybe not. Maybe people do draw a line somewhere and this could be where they decide to draw it.
    If he had taken out a super injunction it wouldn't be a question that could be asked
  • Options
    Anecdote.

Mrs. Scrap's aunt is visiting from Stoke - a WASPI lady - but still won't vote for Labour as Corbyn is so repellent to her (always on our enemies side) and doesn't believe the bribe money would come anyway!
  • Options

Well, he is.

True dat
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999
    Chris said:

Gadfly said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    Every GE people moan at Mike for such things. MRP is not magically accurate, so long as he explains why he thinks differently it's no biggie.
    I didn't link the tweet as a criticism but I am surprised.

Notwithstanding the MRP, the 2017 result for Battersea was:

Labour 25,292
    Conservative 22,876
    Liberal Democrats 4,401
    It's depressing that anyone is arguing that Smithson's letter is anything other than a grotesque misrepresentation.
    He can say what he likes, and if the argument for those seats is nonsense people will rightly call it out as such. Where claims are nonsense they should be called out.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Tampons are somewhat more medically important than shaving equipment. And if you go down that path, I rather suspect my wife pays more VAT on make up than I do on shaving equipment. Not forgetting either that she buys shaving equipment too, I've never looked into the costing of either.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

2nd or 3rd item on the R4 news bulletin just now.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Yes, IMO.

Perhaps because this is no longer Cameron’s Tory party ?
    They are fishing in very different political waters now. As the attempted substitution of a former DEFRA Secretary for the party leader in a leaders’s debate indicates.

• Options

Well, he is.

True dat
    What happens if Marr is ill and sends Andrew Neil in his place?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Stocky said:

Chris said:

Gadfly said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    Every GE people moan at Mike for such things. MRP is not magically accurate, so long as he explains why he thinks differently it's no biggie.

Labour 25,292
    Conservative 22,876
    Liberal Democrats 4,401
    It's depressing that anyone is arguing that Smithson's letter is anything other than a grotesque misrepresentation.
    I don`t understand. LibDems are 20/1 in that seat. They have no chance. Unless I`m missing something, Mike seems to be acting for the benefit of the Labour Party, not the LDs.
    Mike is a commited LibDem.
    But he is going to lose his credibility with these leaflets. If the LibDems are taking his name in vain, I feel sorry for him, but not entirely surprised - it is their modus operandi. If he has given his consent to them, then sorry, but it is a grave error of judgment.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

148grss said:

Anorak said:

It's almost as if skills need to be taught to humans and if they haven't they can't do things. Like how nobody in my office 35yo+ seems to be able to just google things they don't know how to do on excel or whatever. It's like we're tool using animals that learn through usage and repetition. The horror.
    A tin opener is a strange contraption to those who aren't familiar with it. Especially considering 99% of cans it seems nowadays have ring pulls on them, my tin opener gets used more to open beer bottles than to open cans.
  • Options
    🚨 New policy: Tories are pledging to introduce new state aid rules after Brexit:

“We will back British business by introducing a new state aid regime which makes it faster and easier for the government to intervene to protect jobs when an industry is in trouble.”

Clever. Brexit and protecting workers.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Chris said:

Gadfly said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:

Labour 25,292
    Conservative 22,876
    Liberal Democrats 4,401
    I don`t understand. LibDems are 20/1 in that seat. They have no chance. Unless I`m missing something, Mike seems to be acting for the benefit of the Labour Party, not the LDs.
    But he is going to lose his credibility with these leaflets. If the LibDems are taking his name in vain, I feel sorry for him, but not entirely surprised - it is their modus operandi. If he has given his consent to them, then sorry, but it is a grave error of judgment.
    At prior elections I thought he'd given consent in certain seats. The letter certainly reads like it. Now though it seems that they're just blanket using it in any seat they feel like it and that OGH hasn't put any research into the individual seats the letters have gone to.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Chris said:

Gadfly said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:

Labour 25,292
    Conservative 22,876
    Liberal Democrats 4,401
    I guess he can campaign as anyone can. But it`s the downright lie in the first sentence of his leaflet that gets me.
  • Options

🚨 New policy: Tories are pledging to introduce new state aid rules after Brexit:

“We will back British business by introducing a new state aid regime which makes it faster and easier for the government to intervene to protect jobs when an industry is in trouble.”

Well there's a good reason for a Conservative not to vote Conservative.
  • Options

Anorak said:

148grss said:

Anorak said:

A tin opener is a strange contraption to those who aren't familiar with it. Especially considering 99% of cans it seems nowadays have ring pulls on them, my tin opener gets used more to open beer bottles than to open cans.
    Nah, don’t give them an excuse. This person has no future in science or engineering, put it that way.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458

Fucking brilliant, everything they didn't do but could have when in the EU
  • Options

Stocky said:

148grss said:

Floater said:

It is quite different from say I have a general philosophy about life, but I am open to adjusting that given new evidence.
    Corbyn has changed many views, and has implemented many policies that differ from his views. He has objectively demonstrated changes away from his core ideas in line with other wider people including the party, as can be seen with his shift on referendum, Trident, tax, and coal.

Whereas Johnson has no beliefs, simply self-serving views formed-by and changed according to, what's in his interest, regardless of their impact on society. Dangerous man.
This discussion has been closed.