Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A 200/1 Tip for Next Prime Minister

Comments

• Options
    148grss said:

This seems to be much worse than anything Corbyn has threatened to do:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/28/ice-sculpture-to-replace-boris-johnson-in-channel-4-climate-debate
    Threatening to revoke the broadcasting license of Ch4 because he was empty chaired is nothing short of authoritarian bullying. You may not believe in renationalisation, but that at least puts these decisions in the hands of elected officials; Johnson is now threatening news sources doing things a way he doesn't personally like or benefit from.
    Does this explain the BBCs moral cowardice towards all things Tory at the moment?

Worse than Trump.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Bozo on LBC is turning into a train wreck . No wonder he’s avoiding AN .
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    edited November 2019
    Stocky said:

geoffw said:

Quite shocked by OGH's polling expert advice to voters in Battersea (where I come from).
    Almost as shocked by stupid Webb's kid-glove treatment of McDonnell.

What advice are you referring to? I have money on Labour in that constituency.
    Earlier this thread.
    edit: @Gadfly 08:42
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Foxy said:

@camel FPT

Foxy said:

camel said:

Might you really briefly explain the pensions issue for me please, Foxy?

This applies to all pensioners, but is particularly acute for senior NHS staff, and I was hit in tax year 17-18. The problem can be quite technical, but is due to the intersection of the NHS pension schemes (there are 3: the 1995, 2008 and 2015 schemes with different accrual rates) and the withdrawal of the annual tax free pensions allowance.
    As well as salary, and any private income, pension growth counts as income for calculating income for pensions allowance. Above £110 000 (inc pension growth) the pensions allowance is tapered until only £10 000 remains. As the 1995 scheme is final salary, pensions growth can be quite lumpy, and that is what stung me in 17-18.
    The outcome is that when the pensions taper hits, the marginal tax rate is close to 100%, and can be greater than that. There is a particular problem with the tax bill being on pension growth so paying tax on money that cannot be accessed. Several colleagues have had to remortgage to pay. There are two more tax cycles to go through before anything can be done.
    As a result, Consultants are refusing extra overtime (particularly a problem with extra operating lists and covering rota gaps in ITU and Emergency Dept) when this is not a part of contract.
    Also there is a powerful incentive to retire early, and to drop non clinical sessions such as management roles, and no one applies for CEA awards any more.
    I am well paid for what I do in a shortage speciality, but am not willing or able to pay 100% tax, so have stopped taking income from private sources for example, and leaving it to accumulate in my company, and stopped doing additional locums to cover gaps or waiting list initiatives 2 years ago.

Great stuff, thank you Foxy. Was more detailed than expected and I can certainly see how it puts pressures on the NHS if doctors are actively discouraged from taking on more work or not retiring. Unintended consequence of something else, I guess, but could have been resolved by now.
    There are parallels with B2C microbusinesses turning down work to keep their turnover under £85k. Going that extra mile, getting their their turnover up to £100k lands them with a delightful £17k bill from HMRC and they find that the extra effort netted them £-2k.
    Again, thanks for the detail.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,428

Cyclefree said:

Wouldn't have had anything to do with Webb giving him a very easy ride “And what’s Labour’s next policy to help voters, Mr McDonnell?”

https://twitter.com/proftimbale/status/1200319206283235328?s=21

He’s certainly a more fluent liar than Corbyn. And far better at it than Boris. The best of the 3 I’d say. And the most dangerous in consequence.
    Yes. Corbyn lies because he's not very bright, Boris lies because he's not remotely on top of his brief. There is an air of clear calculation to McDonnell's lies, which as you write makes him by far the most dangerous.
    He did come across well on this morning's radio.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    Every GE people moan at Mike for such things. MRP is not magically accurate, so long as he explains why he thinks differently it's no biggie.
    He did it last election..so no surprise
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    Every GE people moan at Mike for such things. MRP is not magically accurate, so long as he explains why he thinks differently it's no biggie.
    Its one thing being a partisan where the Lib Dems are very tight. Some of the seats he's done this are absurd this year though which makes me wonder how or why its been done.

I'm extremely curious about Warrington South. Conservative-held between 2010-2017 there has been a letter sent out to voters in Warrington South saying a vote for the Conservatives is a wasted vote, which is a bit strange given that the Tories are odds-on favourites for the seat and the Lib Dems are 66/1.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    148grss said:

I mean, it is pretty cold, and he is old, I can forgive him wearing thick gloves...
    But do they HAVE to be gloves that look like he's been dissolving bodies in an acid bath?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Wouldn't have had anything to do with Webb giving him a very easy ride “And what’s Labour’s next policy to help voters, Mr McDonnell?”

He’s certainly a more fluent liar than Corbyn. And far better at it than Boris. The best of the 3 I’d say. And the most dangerous in consequence.
    Yes. Corbyn lies because he's not very bright, Boris lies because he's not remotely on top of his brief. There is an air of clear calculation to McDonnell's lies, which as you write makes him by far the most dangerous.
    In part because of a very softball interview....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

There's something about his tone of voice that really makes my skin crawl.
    He has the faux matiness of the experienced confidence trickster.
    The people who would be taken in by McDonnell overlap with those who would send their bank account details to a Nigerian Prince they met on the internet....
    I’ve said it before but here goes. McDonnell is like one of those corrupt 1970’s Met detectives: all affable charm on the surface but utterly untrustworthy and very willing to countenance the use of violence to get his own way.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

Looks a decent tip. Patel available at 49/1. Now admittedly home office means there's a decent chance she screws up. But that's still very good odds.

Those odds are good for Patel. On the other hand, Priti Patel is one of the few politicians I fear more than Jeremy Corbyn.
    Not the slightest chance of Patel becoming PM. She may be adored by the Far Right but she's as loathed as she is loathsome for the majority.

1000 x worse than Jeremy Corbyn, which is saying something.
    I am going to a dinner with Priti Patel tonight, sold out, the members like her
    Lots of jackboots being polished I bet
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,714

148grss said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/28/ice-sculpture-to-replace-boris-johnson-in-channel-4-climate-debate
    Threatening to revoke the broadcasting license of Ch4 because he was empty chaired is nothing short of authoritarian bullying. You may not believe in renationalisation, but that at least puts these decisions in the hands of elected officials; Johnson is now threatening news sources doing things a way he doesn't personally like or benefit from.
    Does this explain the BBCs moral cowardice towards all things Tory at the moment?

Worse than Trump.
    TBF equal to Trump, Trump has threatened to review CNNs license quite a few times, and I think he axed a proposed merger that would have benefited their parent company. So... yeah
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    So the spineless buffoon backs out of the AN interview .
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    Its one thing being a partisan where the Lib Dems are very tight. Some of the seats he's done this are absurd this year though which makes me wonder how or why its been done.

I'm extremely curious about Warrington South. Conservative-held between 2010-2017 there has been a letter sent out to voters in Warrington South saying a vote for the Conservatives is a wasted vote, which is a bit strange given that the Tories are odds-on favourites for the seat and the Lib Dems are 66/1.

Why Battersea - Mike`s Bedford isn`t he?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    Gadfly said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    I didn't link the tweet as a criticism but I am surprised.

Notwithstanding the MRP, the 2017 result for Battersea was:

Labour 25,292
    Conservative 22,876
    Liberal Democrats 4,401
    It's depressing that anyone is arguing that Smithson's letter is anything other than a grotesque misrepresentation.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:

The letter signed by Mike Smithson begins "The election in Battersea is between the Labour and the Liberal Democrats."
  • Options
    timmo said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    Sad to see him so misrepresenting the polls though. The MRP shows completely the opposite of what he is claiming. It is worth viewing some of his recent headers on here as well in that light.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Chris said:

Gadfly said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    I didn't link the tweet as a criticism but I am surprised.

Notwithstanding the MRP, the 2017 result for Battersea was:

Labour 25,292
    Conservative 22,876
    Liberal Democrats 4,401
    It's depressing that anyone is arguing that Smithson's letter is anything other than a grotesque misrepresentation.
    I don`t understand. LibDems are 20/1 in that seat. They have no chance. Unless I`m missing something, Mike seems to be acting for the benefit of the Labour Party, not the LDs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    edited November 2019
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Unnoticed, Elizabeth Warren's price for the Democratic nomination is sinking like a stone. She was last matched at 6.6.

Appalling news.
    Pete Buttigieg is apparently inexorably heading for the favourite slot.
    I only went and laid him off 2 weeks ago.
    Probably a good time to top up on Warren in all honesty.
    And definitely lay Bloomberg.
    Please, why lay Bloomberg when Clinton is right there to lay?
    That's a silly question. If you lay several improbable candidates at the same time, you improve the odds for yourself, at no additional cost if you do it right.
    Rating whether Bloomberg is a bit less improbable than Clinton (or not) doesn't make all that much of a difference.

• Options

Morning all and on thread, yes he is a growing personality within the Tory party and increasingly seen on the TV. He has the advantage of the fact that barring bizarre future boundary changes e.g. taking in large unfavourable chunks of neighbouring Sedgefield, he should never have to worry about holding his seat.

Been playing with Baxter this morning and the suggestion he makes is that at 28 Tory and 38 SNP (i.e. basically the same as 2017) we see the 1st change in seats between the parties with either the Tories taking Perth or Lanark or the SNP taking Stirling. If the SCons come within 10 of the SNP and Labour and Liberal languish in the low teens then SCons start heading towards 15 and SNP below 40 (because they have taken all SLAB bar Iain Murray). If lead starts heading towards 15 then SCons head for 10 and SNP for 45. My hunch right now is SNP will gain and lose and end up around 40 and the SCons will be between 10 and 15, right now nearer 15.

Looks about right, in sorry to say. The SNP campaign to date has not been one of our Top Ten performances. Not in Bottom Ten either. Just mediocre. Too late to polling day to change much now, barring horrific gaffes, which are (slightly) more likely to happen to the Unionist parties.

What really concerns me is that the hoped-for tactical unwind SCon to SLD just does not seem to have materialised, and that really hinders my party. We were banking on that!

Also, Ruth Davidson’s departure has, as I suspected, actually strengthened SCon support, not damaged it. She was a deadweight round your necks, as all can see now. Told ya so!!

All we need to really put a dampener on events is a SLab recovery, and I consider that a very real possibility.

Not a particularly happy bunny.

(Word of warning from a former Baxter addict: consume with caution!)
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited November 2019
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

Looks a decent tip. Patel available at 49/1. Now admittedly home office means there's a decent chance she screws up. But that's still very good odds.

Those odds are good for Patel. On the other hand, Priti Patel is one of the few politicians I fear more than Jeremy Corbyn.
    Not the slightest chance of Patel becoming PM. She may be adored by the Far Right but she's as loathed as she is loathsome for the majority.

Dinner! During an election campaign! Unless it’s fish and chips in the constituency office whilst stuffing envelopes etc then it’s complacency gone mad. They can’t be short of cash so very strange.
  • Options
    timmo said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    I thought he did it last election in marginal seats where the Lib Dems were actually in the running? Not in seats where the Lib Dems are a distant nowhere.

Telling voters in a seat where the Tories are odds on to vote Lib Dem is bizarre at the very least don't you think? I'm curious what Mike thought about Warrington South to make him think that Conservative voters should vote Lib Dem does that make Political Betting sense?

Do these look like the odds of a seat where Conservatives should tactically vote Liberal Democrat?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    nico67 said:

In that case I'm switching my vote to BXP.

If you want my vote you have to work for it.
  • Options

timmo said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    Sad to see him so misrepresenting the polls though. The MRP shows completely the opposite of what he is claiming. It is worth viewing some of his recent headers on here as well in that light.
    It would be interesting to see a header explaining what exactly the point of it is. It's not going to achieve Lib Dem victory in those constituencies. I can't imagine it's going to make a profit for him on the betting markets. Why do it?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,162
    My feeling at the momo is there are 4 elections going on
    1) in a line south of the wash/bristol channel a rerun of 2017 with limited changes except for..
    2) london which is seeing a fracturing of labour dominance (that may well not translate into much seat wise this time around but will make the first post GE mayor polls interesting)
    3) scotland which is becoming an SNP vs Tory slugfest with the SNP well ahead on points but the Tories possibly entrenching a few seats as safe Scottish havens. Lds just trying to save Jo and tread water, and possibly failing, labour gone gone gone and
    4) the Midlands and north where my feeling is labour are overstated and are in for an absolute horror show. This is where the usual non voters/only voted fir Brexit I'll do it one more time votes are and are imo under the polling radar. There will be some eye watering swings
    Morning all by the way
  • Options

One last comment. When Dom Cummings blogged that we're heading for a Hung Parliament, I don't think it was mind games.

I think he genuinely thinks it and I think he's right.

My opinion for what it is worth is that little will change now and Boris should win a modest majority. The canvassing reports and other anecdotes indicate the conservative vote is hardening and the report from Buzzfeed this morning at the utter despair of labour activists in northern seats seeing Corbyn pouring all his resources into beating IDS and Boris and virtually abandoning them.

I expect history will show labour made a terrible mistake when they put Corbyn in office and he, more than anyone, enabled brexit by not standing firm in the remain camp so evident in the party. Had he rejected brexit from day 1 we would not be on the verge of leaving in little less than 9 weeks
    Corbyn lost all credibility when he abandoned his life long opposition to the EU and capitulated to urban graduate Labour. Had he come out in favour of leave he would have become prime minister in the wake of Cameron's departure.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    Chris said:

Stocky said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:

The letter signed by Mike Smithson begins "The election in Battersea is between the Labour and the Liberal Democrats."
    It's deliberately misleading.
    I'm surprised it's not illegal and, unless it's being done without his consent, seriously undermining his brand.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    ""I want a free, fair, exuberant, unbridled media - that's what I want. I think a free press is one of the glories of our country. I want to protect it." Johnson this morning.

And if you can't work out from first principles how the matter should have been dealt with, the BBC and Corbyn have helpfully given you a masterclass. He is sending RLB to a leaders' debate in his place tonight, and everyone is fine with that. Which makes ch4's infantile subversion of democracy look even sillier than it did.
  • Options
    Johnson went on LBC this morning to prove once more why he seeks to avoid detailed scrutiny. Even in the arms of a soft-soap Tory inquisitor like Nick Ferrari he has absolutely no idea. When you stand back and think about it the decision by the Labour Party membership to gift him power becomes ever-more extraordinary.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:

Those letters have been sent by "Mike Smithson political and polling expert" to voters in many, many seats it seems. Saying that Mike has looked at that seat and essentially advising people to vote Liberal Democrat. Battersea is one of the seats the letter has been sent to, Warrington South is another, there are more too.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    edited November 2019

He could have made a case along the lines of: if you want Remain and don't want Corbyn etc. That might cut some ice in Battersea. But to make the claim for the LibDems in terms of polling is bizarre and wrong.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

nico67 said:

If he has done that I might go back to spoiling my ballot.

Can’t vote for someone for whom I have zero respect.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    matt said:

Foxy said:

One last comment. When Dom Cummings blogged that we're heading for a Hung Parliament, I don't think it was mind games.
    I think he genuinely thinks it and I think he's right.

I am off too, but I think that you are right about Cummings. He is too full of himself for mind games. I don't think that he is as clever as he thinks he is though.
    “ I don't think that he is as clever as he thinks he is though.”

Pot calling kettle.
    Quite. And the suggestion he doesn't play mind games is pretty staggering. That's his whole shtick.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    ""I want a free, fair, exuberant, unbridled media - that's what I want. I think a free press is one of the glories of our country. I want to protect it." Johnson this morning.
    And if you can't work out from first principles how the matter should have been dealt with, the BBC and Corbyn have helpfully given you a masterclass. He is sending RLB to a leaders' debate in his place tonight, and everyone is fine with that. Which makes ch4's infantile subversion of democracy look even sillier than it did.
    CH4 can make their own rules, they said leaders and meant leaders, so empty chaired Johnson and Farage. The BBC have let 4 parties send non leaders, which is up to them.
    As for Johnson's words this morning, apologies if I think even the chilling effect of the briefing against CH4 is more important than the words of known liar and untrustworthy bastard, Johnson.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,921
    edited November 2019

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

There's something about his tone of voice that really makes my skin crawl.
    He has the faux matiness of the experienced confidence trickster.
    The people who would be taken in by McDonnell overlap with those who would send their bank account details to a Nigerian Prince they met on the internet....
    Says someone who has being totally taken in by the biggest conman of them all! The irony
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367

Johnson went on LBC this morning to prove once more why he seeks to avoid detailed scrutiny. Even in the arms of a soft-soap Tory inquisitor like Nick Ferrari he has absolutely no idea. When you stand back and think about it the decision by the Labour Party membership to gift him power becomes ever-more extraordinary.

SO, this is just silly - if you wanted to influence the decision, you shouldn't have left, and anyway it was made long before Johnson was chosen. There's a limit to how much one should game leadership choices by thinking "If the other sides pick X and Y then we might win most votes with Z" - in the end one should vote for the leader one wants, and then try to get them elected. It's not as though one of the other candidates was polling as clearly more popular.
  • Options

SO, this is just silly - if you wanted to influence the decision, you shouldn't have left, and anyway it was made long before Johnson was chosen. There's a limit to how much one should game leadership choices by thinking "If the other sides pick X and Y then we might win most votes with Z" - in the end one should vote for the leader one wants, and then try to get them elected. It's not as though one of the other candidates was polling as clearly more popular.
    Nick, you are being equally silly. You picked an even worse duffer than Johnson.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Sweet Jesus. Behold! The future of our country.
    https://twitter.com/manny_ottawa/status/1200059221972279297
  • Options

timmo said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    I thought he did it last election in marginal seats where the Lib Dems were actually in the running? Not in seats where the Lib Dems are a distant nowhere.

Telling voters in a seat where the Tories are odds on to vote Lib Dem is bizarre at the very least don't you think? I'm curious what Mike thought about Warrington South to make him think that Conservative voters should vote Lib Dem does that make Political Betting sense?

Do these look like the odds of a seat where Conservatives should tactically vote Liberal Democrat?
    No - perhaps LibDems should tactically vote Tory to help keep Corbyn out!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

Dinner! During an election campaign! Unless it’s fish and chips in the constituency office whilst stuffing envelopes etc then it’s complacency gone mad. They can’t be short of cash so very strange.
    Yep. I remember in 2005 that Regional Office told us to cancel all canvassing on the Saturday before the election so that we could welcome a junior Minister coming to give us a morale-boosting talk. We told them, and him, to go forth and multiply.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Johnson is a congenital liar. He just cannot help himself. He is incapable of telling the truth. McDonnell is, indeed, much more calculated. He lies specifically and forensically for the cause. And he is very good at it. You'd want him on your side in wartime, though you'd never be quite sure he was on your side.

• Options

Nigelb said:

Anecdote alert. One of my colleagues hails from Stirling. His parents are by inclination Lib Dems. They voted Conservative in 2017 to keep out the SNP. They are now concerned about Boris Johnson getting an overall majority and are probably going to vote Lib Dem.

Fux sake. They’ll let the SNP in.

Muppets.
    I understand they’re well aware of that. Unlike you, they see Boris Johnson with an overall majority as an equal danger.

Committed Conservatives don’t seem to understand the antipathy he produces in a very large section of the population. The question is how far they will go to stop him.
    No, I think Boris is a twat and I’m very far from committed to him. I understand the antipathy very well.

But, you’d think they’d care more about protecting Scotland’s place in the Union.
    Reread your own last two paragraphs then reread my previous last paragraph. You don’t understand just how loathed he is.
    No, I do. And I’ve read your posts and understood them.
    One man you hate or the future of your country.
    Not a difficult choice.
    The future of the Union looks bleak under Johnson. I can’t see a justification for voting for either Corbyn or Johnson.
    "We hate you and despise you, you treacherous quislings, now vote for us" was always going to be a tricky sell for the Conservatives. It's remarkable how the penny still hasn't dropped that they might need to compromise with the electorate.
    The penny seems to have dropped at least a couple of inches with the SCons that the electorate also seem to hate and despise them.

https://twitter.com/AnnieWellsMSP/status/1198184251264516096?s=20
  • Options
    148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    CH4 can make their own rules, they said leaders and meant leaders, so empty chaired Johnson and Farage. The BBC have let 4 parties send non leaders, which is up to them.
    As for Johnson's words this morning, apologies if I think even the chilling effect of the briefing against CH4 is more important than the words of known liar and untrustworthy bastard, Johnson.
    Actually they can't make their own rules. Rules are set by Ofcom and Ofcom says parties not leaders. BBC didn't stop Rudd from replacing May, the idea that Gove was unsuitable for a climate debate when he is the one setting the parties climate policies is absurd.
    As for Ch4 it is state owned and it should be sold off next Parliament. Not sure how much the government can make from privatising it but its long overdue privatisation. That has nothing to do with last night, the state has no business in the 2020s owning TV Channels.
  • Options
    148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    They didn’t just empty chair him, though, did they?

They also pulled a provocative partisan stunt on it too to highlight it, which they advertised on their twitter.

If they’d just said, “sadly, the leaders of the Cons and BXP have declined to attend but we’ll be going ahead anyway” there wouldn’t have been such a fuss.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

It's almost as if skills need to be taught to humans and if they haven't they can't do things. Like how nobody in my office 35yo+ seems to be able to just google things they don't know how to do on excel or whatever. It's like we're tool using animals that learn through usage and repetition. The horror.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

nunu2 said:

nico67 said:

Exactly. I'm not sure BXP are even standing where I live, so I will have spoil my ballot as well.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

I still enjoy his joke, which is just sufficiently true to be really funny: "Jeremy is teaching me to be a nicer person, but I'm only halfway through the course."
  • Options
    148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    CH4 can make their own rules, they said leaders and meant leaders, so empty chaired Johnson and Farage.
    In addition, the other leaders apparently would have not taken part had Gove been allowed in. As you say, it was set up as a leaders debate, and Johnson declined the opportunity. He's entirely entitled to have done so, but not to complain about the consequences of his decision.
    "Subversion of democracy" LOL.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,983

Morning all and on thread, yes he is a growing personality within the Tory party and increasingly seen on the TV. He has the advantage of the fact that barring bizarre future boundary changes e.g. taking in large unfavourable chunks of neighbouring Sedgefield, he should never have to worry about holding his seat.

Been playing with Baxter this morning and the suggestion he makes is that at 28 Tory and 38 SNP (i.e. basically the same as 2017) we see the 1st change in seats between the parties with either the Tories taking Perth or Lanark or the SNP taking Stirling. If the SCons come within 10 of the SNP and Labour and Liberal languish in the low teens then SCons start heading towards 15 and SNP below 40 (because they have taken all SLAB bar Iain Murray). If lead starts heading towards 15 then SCons head for 10 and SNP for 45. My hunch right now is SNP will gain and lose and end up around 40 and the SCons will be between 10 and 15, right now nearer 15.

Looks about right, in sorry to say. The SNP campaign to date has not been one of our Top Ten performances. Not in Bottom Ten either. Just mediocre. Too late to polling day to change much now, barring horrific gaffes, which are (slightly) more likely to happen to the Unionist parties.

What really concerns me is that the hoped-for tactical unwind SCon to SLD just does not seem to have materialised, and that really hinders my party. We were banking on that!

Also, Ruth Davidson’s departure has, as I suspected, actually strengthened SCon support, not damaged it. She was a deadweight round your necks, as all can see now. Told ya so!!

All we need to really put a dampener on events is a SLab recovery, and I consider that a very real possibility.

Not a particularly happy bunny.

(Word of warning from a former Baxter addict: consume with caution!)
    Thanks for the honest report of the situation in Scotland.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited November 2019

Afaik he only did it in Jo Swinson's seat in 2017, however perhaps the great man can confirm?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Johnson is a congenital liar. He just cannot help himself. He is incapable of telling the truth. McDonnell is, indeed, much more calculated. He lies specifically and forensically for the cause. And he is very good at it. You'd want him on your side in wartime, though you'd never be quite sure he was on your side.

They are both a disgrace.

The difference is that Johnson is lazy and isn’t ideological and only lies to further his career and his own personal interests, which makes him less dangerous.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    CH4 can make their own rules, they said leaders and meant leaders, so empty chaired Johnson and Farage.
    In addition, the other leaders apparently would have not taken part had Gove been allowed in. As you say, it was set up as a leaders debate, and Johnson declined the opportunity. He's entirely entitled to have done so, but not to complain about the consequences of his decision.
    It was billed as a Climate debate. The name for it was Climate Debate and they were using the hashtag #ClimateDebate. Seems to me that having a senior Cabinet Minister who set the parties Climate policies would be eminently appropriate.
    Ofcom rules say representation must be given to parties, not leaders. Gove is entirely suited to represent the party.
    Had this been a debate on the economy would you have been approving of denying the Chancellor of the Exchequer the opportunity to take part in that?
  • Options

148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    They also pulled a provocative partisan stunt on it too to highlight it, which they advertised on their twitter.
    If they’d just said, “sadly, the leaders of the Cons and BXP have declined to attend but we’ll be going ahead anyway” there wouldn’t have been such a fuss.
    I mean, empty chairing, by it's nature, should be an attempt to highlight non attendance. Hence the ice sculptures. Non attendance is a statement and should be freely commented on. If they did the same to Corbyn, I don't think you'd be complaining, whereas if Corbyn threatened to take away their broadcasting license, I would still think it is bad.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

He could have made a case along the lines of: if you want Remain and don't want Corbyn etc. That might cut some ice in Battersea. But to make the claim for the LibDems in terms of polling is bizarre and wrong.
    I think his case is rather that in a constituency which voted so solidly remain, the Conservatives have no chance at all this time - and the Lib Dems perhaps a slim chance.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Johnson has just received a kicking from Nick Ferrari.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The difference is that Johnson is lazy and isn’t ideological and only lies to further his career and his own personal interests, which makes him less dangerous.
  • Options

Afaik he only did it in Jo Swinson's seat in 2017, however perhaps the great man can confirm?
    I got a letter in St Albans from him in the last election.
  • Options

In Jo Swinson's seat in 2017 it was suitable. That was a seat the Lib Dems were the primary contender for as the result and evidence showed.
    Some of these seats though it is entirely unsuitable. If the Our Genial Host seriously thinks the Liberal Democrats are in the running to win Warrington South then I'm curious the logic and given the odds of 66/1 available I wonder how much he's got riding on that? Similar for the other seats that both the polls and odds show the Lib Dems are nowhere near.
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    I mean, empty chairing, by it's nature, should be an attempt to highlight non attendance. Hence the ice sculptures. Non attendance is a statement and should be freely commented on. If they did the same to Corbyn, I don't think you'd be complaining, whereas if Corbyn threatened to take away their broadcasting license, I would still think it is bad.
    Highlighting in the way they did it is a partisan act.
  • Options

I only left last year after voting against Corbyn in 2016 and realising that the far left which used to oppose Labour now controls the party and will do so well into the future because people like you are happy for that to be the case and have convinced yourselves that you are not aiding and abetting anti-Semites who profoundly dislike the UK and the west in general. You and I have the luxury of being able to live through a Johnson government with ease. Many millions of others do not. Over an extended period of time the electorate has made clear to the Labour membership that Jeremy Corbyn is not someone that it could ever put into power. Voters will always choose the alternative, no matter how incapable. You and others chose to ignore that unequivocal message. So we end up with a lying clown leading a right wing, English nationalist government that will harm all those you say you care about. That's not my responsibiliuty. It is yours.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

He will get kickings now from everyone, and rightly so, for his cowardice. This will snowball and lead to people believing he can’t be trusted with a majority if he keeps dodging scrutiny.

Very very dangerous.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

148grss said:

148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    Not attending was a political act. Talking about that political act is news. Highlighting political acts of the PM is their job. This is what you sound like:
    https://twitter.com/shaun_vids
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Good tip. I'll have a nibble.
    To reciprocate. Yvette Cooper.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Except the Conservatives didn't avoid attendance. Ofcom says representation must be offered to the Parties and the Party sent a representative. Channel 4 made a partisan act rejecting the Conservatives representative then put a sculpture up instead when there was a Conservative Cabinet Minister who set the policies for the issues being debated there in the building. That was pathetic of Channel 4.
    Other broadcasters have always accepted whoever the party sends instead of the leader if that is done because that is what the rules say.
    There is nothing in Ofcom rules to say representation can only be offered to Party Leaders, especially on a specialised subject debate where the subject specialist goes instead.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    timmo said:

kle4 said:

Gadfly said:
    And difficult to take a complaint about integrity from Colville seriously.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    nunu2 said:

nunu2 said:

nico67 said:

Exactly. I'm not sure BXP are even standing where I live, so I will have spoil my ballot as well.
    Check out the candidates here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K-ABf5qs4zTFzHv6koLY0mEJyGi2VGWF4sWswDmJquk/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    I detect a rather desperste tone to some of the Labour postrrs on here...
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,849
    Some slightly rough voter churn figures relative to 2017, according to the MRP:

2019 newly eligibles (18-20 or naturalised) - 2.5% of 2019 electorate
    Break 0.5% (of total electorate) Con, 1.2% Labour

2019 previous DNVs - 10.8% of 2019 electorate
    Break 4.4% Con, 3.0% Lab

The figures for those no longer voting are not so explicit, so a couple of first order approximations have been made
    (1) that 2019 electoral roll is of similar size to 2017 - roll size hasn't changed by much judging by end of year stats, so 1% of 2017 electorate is approx 1% of 2019 el

2019 no longer eligibles (died or

Interesting because few normal polls are quite so explicit on voter changeover, so the standard common knowledge of demographic assumptions, that things will trend leftwards, is rarely challenged in numbers .

• Options
    148grss said:

Not attending was a political act. Talking about that political act is news. Highlighting political acts of the PM is their job. This is what you sound like:

A Conservative did attend. Parties are entitled to choose who they send to the media, not the other way around. There is no precedence or Ofcom rule for what Channel 4 did.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I agree with that in theory, except that given Johnson is driven entirely by self-interest he will agree anything with anyone to stay in power, and do whatever he feels it will take to secure his aims - see closing down Parliament and threatening to shut down Channel 4, for example, as well as - of course - taking us out of the EU. And as he will be PM, and McDonnell will never be, that makes him more dangerous in reality.

• Options
    Boris Johnson cannot play the "context" argument when his entire attack line on Corbyn has been precisely that. The media is broken.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

He will get kickings now from everyone, and rightly so, for his cowardice. This will snowball and lead to people believing he can’t be trusted with a majority if he keeps dodging scrutiny.

Very very dangerous.
    In case people are wondering. Ferrari went there

https://twitter.com/Aiannucci/status/1200352921243787264?s=19
  • Options

In Jo Swinson's seat in 2017 it was suitable. That was a seat the Lib Dems were the primary contender for as the result and evidence showed.
    Some of these seats though it is entirely unsuitable. If the Our Genial Host seriously thinks the Liberal Democrats are in the running to win Warrington South then I'm curious the logic and given the odds of 66/1 available I wonder how much he's got riding on that? Similar for the other seats that both the polls and odds show the Lib Dems are nowhere near.
    Sounds like he's fighting the good fight to keep Jezza out to me - more power to him.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Johnson's laziness and lack of beliefs makes him supremely dangerous because it means he is the perfect figurehead for a far right Thatcherite cabal determined to use the economic shock of Brexit to push us closer to the US and their economic model. While we all coo over his fucking dog and try to figure out how many kids he has, they work behind the scenes to rewire the economy in a way that will be very hard to unwind. Johnson won't know or care what they are up to as long as he gets to be World King.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    It was billed as a Climate debate. The name for it was Climate Debate and they were using the hashtag #ClimateDebate. Seems to me that having a senior Cabinet Minister who set the parties Climate policies would be eminently appropriate.
    Ofcom rules say representation must be given to parties, not leaders. Gove is entirely suited to represent the party.
    Had this been a debate on the economy would you have been approving of denying the Chancellor of the Exchequer the opportunity to take part in that?
    As the other party leaders would have walked out, he was being denied nothing.
    The Tories made their bed with their attitude to the Corbyn/Johnson debate. And their evidently frit leader.

• Options

Maybe he agreed to it before Swinson so comprehensively ballsed up the LD campaign and at the time it seemed less hatstand?
  • Options
    We all know full well if Corbyn had ducked this debate the Tories here would be attacking him. Johnson is a coward and running scared, it's evidently obvious.
  • Options
    For poll addicts, one that doesn't seem to have had much attention, though the leading questions make it of limited value:

https://labourlist.org/2019/11/labours-green-industrial-revolution-popular-in-red-wall-seats-poll-finds/

I wouldn't have expected that the Northwest and Midlands would be the regions most fired up by climate change, or that 63% of Leave voters would think it an important issue. The subject has penetrated further that some of us have assumed.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

We all know full well if Corbyn had ducked this debate the Tories here would be attacking him. Johnson is a coward and running scared, it's evidently obvious.

And you seem quite annoyed by it. I wonder why.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

148grss said:

A Conservative did attend. Parties are entitled to choose who they send to the media, not the other way around. There is no precedence or Ofcom rule for what Channel 4 did.
    Ch4 wanted a leaders debate on climate. Tories refused to send their leader, as did the BXP. Both were treated the same, with an ice sculpture in their place. Any commentary beforehand about the PM not being there being disproportionate to Farage not being there is pretty justifiable because the PM is magnitudes more important than Farage. Ch4 is free to pick the debate rules it wants and enforce them, that is up to them. If Johnson and the Tories refuse to accept those rules, the consequences are down to them. The media is not here to kowtow to the whims of politicians, it is there to hold them to account, and if they refuse to be held account on an equal footing, that is news. Therefore the news media should talk about it. So they did.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Boris Johnson cannot play the "context" argument when his entire attack line on Corbyn has been precisely that. The media is broken.

Off topic: interesting that NE Hampshire and East Hampshire are 2 of 41 seats where the Tory share is projected to go down more than the Labour share according MRP YouGov study.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

Anecdote alert. One of my colleagues hails from Stirling. His parents are by inclination Lib Dems. They voted Conservative in 2017 to keep out the SNP. They are now concerned about Boris Johnson getting an overall majority and are probably going to vote Lib Dem.

Fux sake. They’ll let the SNP in.

Muppets.
    I understand they’re well aware of that. Unlike you, they see Boris Johnson with an overall majority as an equal danger.

Committed Conservatives don’t seem to understand the antipathy he produces in a very large section of the population. The question is how far they will go to stop him.
    No, I think Boris is a twat and I’m very far from committed to him. I understand the antipathy very well.
    But, you’d think they’d care more about protecting Scotland’s place in the Union.
    Speaking as a voter in Scotland who has come round to being pro-Union I think the immediacy of the danger is a factor. Even if the SNP repeat 2015 they will still need to win a referendum to achieve independence.
    Whereas there is no such constraint on a Johnson government. It's hard then to view SNP MPs as the greatest risk. Holyrood elections maybe a bit different, since some of the SNP ultras are advocating a Holyrood majority as a mandate for Independence - but then the voting system makes tactical voting less important too.
    Hard to believe , it is only a matter of time now, the unionists are stuffed. Once you get below age 50 it is all independence. Unionists are like Tories , old Codgers and LOL only
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    The Tories made their bed with their attitude to the Corbyn/Johnson debate. And their evidently frit leader.

If the other party leaders walk out then they can be empty chaired. That would be their decision.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Anorak said:

It's almost as if skills need to be taught to humans and if they haven't they can't do things. Like how nobody in my office 35yo+ seems to be able to just google things they don't know how to do on excel or whatever. It's like we're tool using animals that learn through usage and repetition. The horror.
    I think you are low balling that 35 age. 45 yes. I’m early 40s and that problem certain isn’t there in my age group who are hyper interested in technology though haven’t had it from birth.
  • Options

Because the Tories don't get treated the same as other parties, because in most cases the media do what they tell them to. As is evident by their threat to Channel 4
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029
    Doesn't matter. Absolutely everybody, even the Borisjugend on here, already knows he's an ill-informed liar.
  • Options

Amusing to see the veneer of interested engagement degenerate in to angry name calling over the last week. Hard to work out if its as they're excited they now have a chance, or they know they don't.
  • Options

148grss said:

Anorak said:

I think you are low balling that 35 age. 45 yes. I’m early 40s and that problem certain isn’t there in my age group who are hyper interested in technology though haven’t had it from birth.
    Being totally dependent on search engines is not a good thing in my opinion.
  • Options

148grss said:

148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    I think 'snowflake' might be appropriate here.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,849
    edited November 2019
    Pro_Rata said:

Some slightly rough voter churn figures relative to 2017, according to the MRP:

2019 newly eligibles (18-20 or naturalised) - 2.5% of 2019 electorate
    Break 0.5% (of total electorate) Con, 1.2% Labour

2019 previous DNVs - 10.8% of 2019 electorate
    Break 4.4% Con, 3.0% Lab

The figures for those no longer voting are not so explicit, so a couple of first order approximations have been made
    (1) that 2019 electoral roll is of similar size to 2017 - roll size hasn't changed by much judging by end of year stats, so 1% of 2017 electorate is approx 1% of 2019 el

2019 no longer eligibles (died or

Interesting because few normal polls are quite so explicit on voter changeover, so the standard common knowledge of demographic assumptions, that things will trend leftwards, is rarely challenged in numbers .

Damn vanilla! I'll tidy on a further edit.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Off topic: interesting that NE Hampshire and East Hampshire are 2 of 41 seats where the Tory share is projected to go down more than the Labour share according MRP YouGov study.
    Presumably due to large swing to the Lib Dems?

Apart from last election when Labour came second, Lib Dems have always done well here. Hinds had a majority of something like 7000 at one point, which isn't that large bearing in mind it's 30,000 now.

I don't think he'll lose his seat - but his majority is going to be cut down a lot. And he might lose it next time.

If his majority gets cut in half say, the Tories are in deep trouble in the South.
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Ch4 wanted a leaders debate on climate. Tories refused to send their leader, as did the BXP. Both were treated the same, with an ice sculpture in their place. Any commentary beforehand about the PM not being there being disproportionate to Farage not being there is pretty justifiable because the PM is magnitudes more important than Farage. Ch4 is free to pick the debate rules it wants and enforce them, that is up to them. If Johnson and the Tories refuse to accept those rules, the consequences are down to them. The media is not here to kowtow to the whims of politicians, it is there to hold them to account, and if they refuse to be held account on an equal footing, that is news. Therefore the news media should talk about it. So they did.
    It doesn't matter what Channel 4 wanted. Ofcom rules are that representation must be offered to parties. Gove was sent as a representative of the party. We do not have a Presidential Election we have a Parliamentary one and Gove is a representative of the party just as much as Johnson is.
    Channel 4 is not permitted to create its own media rules. Ofcom creates the rules.
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    Both things can be true at once.

Pull that confirmation bias finger out your arse.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

148grss said:

Worse than Trump.
    If the other party leaders walk out then they can be empty chaired. That would be their decision.
    Their leaders turned up. Yours was frit.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

My feeling at the momo is there are 4 elections going on
    1) in a line south of the wash/bristol channel a rerun of 2017 with limited changes except for..
    2) london which is seeing a fracturing of labour dominance (that may well not translate into much seat wise this time around but will make the first post GE mayor polls interesting)
    3) scotland which is becoming an SNP vs Tory slugfest with the SNP well ahead on points but the Tories possibly entrenching a few seats as safe Scottish havens. Lds just trying to save Jo and tread water, and possibly failing, labour gone gone gone and
    4) the Midlands and north where my feeling is labour are overstated and are in for an absolute horror show. This is where the usual non voters/only voted fir Brexit I'll do it one more time votes are and are imo under the polling radar. There will be some eye watering swings
    Morning all by the way

Fwiw, while i'll wait a week to be confident, at the moment In this corner of the South it most certainly doesn't feel like 2017.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Because the Tories don't get treated the same as other parties, because in most cases the media do what they tell them to. As is evident by their threat to Channel 4
    No - because your man wasn't clever enough.

And as for threats to the media - isn't it Corbyn wanting to "democratise" the media? There's a euphemism if I ever heard one.

Get over it and worry about defending your seats in blue-collar marginal constituencies where the majority of people do not give a monkeys uncle about this bubble tittle-tattle.
  • Options

Because if Johnson thinks he deserves to lead this great country then he should submit himself to proper scrutiny. If he doesn't he is unworthy of the office, it's as simple as that.
    If you can't play the game fairly, you don't deserve to win. I thought that was one of the few useful things they taught at our great public schools.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Amusing to see the veneer of interested engagement degenerate in to angry name calling over the last week. Hard to work out if its as they're excited they now have a chance, or they know they don't.
    You can tell from labour politicians demeanor which it is. And that it's a lot worse than we suspect.
This discussion has been closed.