Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though Big Bold Boris could skip the Andrew Neil i

Comments

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:
    Hmm I wonder if even Ian Murray is surviving on those numbers.
    43 pretty poor for the SNP too, it means almost every Scottish Tory MP survives
    Labour are leaking votes in Scotland at a pace due to the Indi vote promise, Corbyn has abandoned them in effect.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

LD 13 would be hilarious. Could easily end up down on Tim Farron 2017.

So Bollocks to Brexit becomes sod off to swinson
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Bong

Conservative: 359 (+42)
    Labour: 211 (-51)
    Lib Dem: 13 (+1)

Tories keeping every seat in Scotland?
    Why do you say that? I don't think you can draw that conclusion from the figures as published.
    The Times say

'The SNP would recover some of its losses in Scotland, taking eight seats from rival parties under the model. It predicts that the Tories would lose two of their 12 Scottish seats and Labour would lose five.'
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,753
    Pulpstar said:

LD to CON must be Norfolk North and Westmorland.
    MUST BE - or could be Carshalton.

I think Farron is in real trouble, I follow him on Facebook and all his facebook is about how he's a great local MP, not a single mention of Brexit.

Eastbourne more likely IMHO
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,449
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think Farron is in real trouble, I follow him on Facebook and all his facebook is about how he's a great local MP, not a single mention of Brexit.

Norfolk North, but not the others, according to the Times.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,922
    edited November 2019
    For the Tories to get a majority, I don't think they can afford anymore slip ups...and have to come out fighting hard.

So far, their campaign has been nearly non-existent, when you compare it to when they won in 2015, with carefully organized day by day stuff. This time, they literally seem to have every day in the grid as "blank".
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,223
    DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:
    He is. Its 2 tory, 5 lab and 1 ld loss to SNP
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    MRP? Not really interested!

But it is in line with Ave it projections ie LD doing nothing, SNP doing less well than some would predict

LAB will come back a bit. Majority on 41-34 is - just - possible
  • Options
    BBC News being subtle in rubbishing Corbyn's NHS claims. Boris's apology regarding islamaphobia a marked contrast with Corbyn over AS.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Westmorland - LD HOLD

Norfolk North - Con GAIN
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

Is there a link for individual constituencies?

The Times article has a searchable index.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,056

Wow, this election was fun.

I am glad it is now over. Not a fan, but you have to hand it to Boris for an excellent campaign.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I want a clickable interactive map!
  • Options
    Carshalton LD HOLD
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HaroldO said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:
    Labour are leaking votes in Scotland at a pace due to the Indi vote promise, Corbyn has abandoned them in effect.

remember when it was claimed Corbyn would win back Scotland
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    Caithness LD > SNP
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,398
    edited November 2019
    Deleted duplicate
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,469
    Eastbourne and North Norfolk are probably the Tory gains from LD.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,228
    Chris said:

Decent showing for Tories....LD's....oh dear

I feel that when Swinson decided to back an election this isn't quite the result she had in mind...
    She is more of a drag on the LDs than Jezza on Lab.

Completely out of her depth
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,087

Is there a map of individual constituencies?

Times article has searchable list of all constituencies.
    and a map
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    It's a good Tory poll. However, I can't read the full article, but see that margins are under 5% in 30 seats (all Tory gains?). Combined with the 11-point lead, that means that the hinge lead where the majority disappears is around 6%. Since this poll - we think - does not allow for any tactical voting, and the 11% is an average over the last week, I wouldn't celebrate too soon if I were a Tory. If ComRes and ICM are correct about a 7% lead..

• Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

For the Tories to get a majority, I don't think they can afford anymore slip ups...and have to come out fighting hard. No far, their campaign has been nearly non-existent, when you compare it to when they won in 2015, with carefully organized day by day stuff.

Pointless expending ammunition in the first few weeks. It’s the last two weeks the electorate starts paying attention. Apparently.

Expect Cons to ramp up from here. Labour used most of their ammo already.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

They are.
  • Options
    Well of course that MRP poll is wrong.

It shows Labour getting more than 200 seats
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

That size of the majority is higher than I had thought.

Must mean Tories getting votes where they need them and Labour at risk of piling them up in safe seats elsewhere?

It is based on an eleven point lead for the Tories, which has narrowed.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Also, if the Lib Dems get 13 seats that is basically the end of the party.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    Which SLD seat falls to the SNP?

Edinburgh West?
    or
    East Dunbartonshire (Swinson’s seat)?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Brom said:

…but projected margins of victory are <5% in 30+ Tory-voting seats. "YouGov cautions that a fall from the present Tory national poll lead of 11 points to <7 points could yet deny Mr Johnson a majority."

I'm really not sure this is the good story everyone thinks it is</p>

You wouldn’t because it’s a disaster for your mate Corbyn. Bloody hell, I was expecting a majority of 30. That is mental.
    Plus it gives room for Labour to recover and the tories still get a majority
  • Options

The Tories should be really worried about how shit the Lib Dems are doing. They need them to be taking votes off Labour.

Yes indeed ... just 8 weeks ago, Sporting was quoting a mid-spread of 49 seats for the LibDems. Tonight's MRP shows them winning barely one quarter of that number. But that was before Swinson's disastrous Revoke policy. Will she be forced to resign I wonder, always assuming she retains her own seat?
    Oh well, at least they'll save on the taxi fares!
  • Options
    LD gain Richmond Park, win it 53% to 40%
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,397
    The projected percentages for the three main parties are all within 0.6 points of the average of the last ten polls on Britain Elects, by my reckoning.

So there's quite a degree of consistency now, unlike last time.
  • Options
    Floater said:

HaroldO said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:

Peak Bastini.
  • Options

For the Tories to get a majority, I don't think they can afford anymore slip ups...and have to come out fighting hard. No far, their campaign has been nearly non-existent, when you compare it to when they won in 2015, with carefully organized day by day stuff.

Pointless expending ammunition in the first few weeks. It’s the last two weeks the electorate starts paying attention. Apparently.

I remember in 2017 we kept saying when is the Tory campaign going to start...when will they start concentrating their fire on the bonkers Labour policies and Corbyn history....it came with about 3 days to go to the GE and was all way too late.
  • Options
    Well we'll have the Tories celebrating (don't blame them) until the next poll and then Labour will be back celebrating, it's all good fun
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SNP gain from Swinson??
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Stephen Lloyd paying the price for saying this time he would go for Remain? He probably had to to restand as a LD, but after 2 years of doing what he said he would do and voting to leave, any credit from leavers he got for that might have dissipated.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,469
    Personally I think the LDs will do better than 13 seats. I can't see them getting less than 20.
  • Options
    The Times says only survey to predict HP in 2017. Well no, Survation did too
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    The most pleasing part of this for the Tories is it shows even if Labour halved the yougov 10/11 point lead it would still be a Tory majority compared to electoral calculus etc. So the 7 point leads they are getting are still small but safe majorities
  • Options
    Floater said:

HaroldO said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:

Yeah, that was mostly Aaron Bastani The Great Scottish Politics Understander, though.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,368
    Well, what do you know?

It turns out that Labour are not storming to victory after all.
  • Options
    Winchester and Guildford both lean Conservative.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Edinburgh West?
    or
    Neither.

Caithness.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I absolutely hold that this is the biggest CON Majority the MRP will show.

We've just been through a week where the Cons posted 19 point polling leads. And now they are posting 9 point leads. That will have an effect on the MRP.

I am going to take positions against this majority now.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    Edinburgh West?
    or
    Would be pretty harsh on Swinson, I don't see what's so bad about her to be honest, and in 2015 she had the lowest LD drop in vote share in the country.
  • Options

I remember in 2017 we kept saying when is the Tory campaign going to start...when will they start concentrating their fire on the bonkers Labour policies and Corbyn history....it came with about 3 days to go to the GE and was all way too late.
    Chill. This. Isn’t. 2017.

• Options
    I'll let you have your moment of celebration - I'm off to bed, night all
  • Options

Winchester and Guildford both lean Conservative.

Those are two places where I think the hard left Labour manifesto probably scares enough Remainers into voting Tory.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Lol. Be honest. There’s no ‘almost’ about it. This is PB. We get it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,914
    Pulpstar said:

Could be Eastbourne too.

Con 355ish is what I have been predicting since the election was called. I think LD will do better than 13 seats though will have quite a lot of close seconds.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Sean_F said:

Well, what do you know?

They don't need to win, to win.

Why isn't it?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,887
    Trying to find some surprise results, they all seem pretty similar to the MRP released earlier.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Well, what do you know?

I heard that the Lib Dems are, in fact, NOT 'Winning Here'.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Brom said:

The Tories should be really worried about how shit the Lib Dems are doing. They need them to be taking votes off Labour.

The Lib Dem result is great for the Tories. Means one battlefront is fine and they only need small Lab to Con swing for a majority.

Labour HQ will be in meltdown. Things have to get a lot better and quick for them.
    I am given to understand that the underlying assumption in this model is of a Tory lead of 11%. That ain't going to happen.

What an awful mess we are in, and with such appalling leadership on practically all sides. If there is a Hung Parliament followed by referendums galore then I really rate the chances of Scotland going this time. By all accounts the Scottish Government isn't particularly good but compared to the total shower of shite on offer from the Westminster parties the SNP appears to be a model of competence and good organisation.

If there's another EU referendum next year I'm certainly voting Remain. Parliament is useless. The more power we can strip from it the better.
  • Options

Your mob on 13

Good move on your part
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,368
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Well, what do you know?

Why isn't it?
    They don't but they are nowhere near where they need to be.
  • Options
    For those interested in a clickable map:

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2019/
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,028
    Alistair said:

I absolutely hold that this is the biggest CON Majority the MRP will show.

We've just been through a week where the Cons posted 19 point polling leads. And now they are posting 9 point leads. That will have an effect on the MRP.

I am going to take positions against this majority now.

Just 7 points with ICM and ComRes
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,008
    edited November 2019

Well we'll have the Tories celebrating (don't blame them) until the next poll and then Labour will be back celebrating, it's all good fun

I am not celebrating and do have reservations.

However I think it is extremely unlikely this result will collapse to a hung parliament
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Adding in the ComRes poll gives:
    Con Lab LD BXP Green PC SNP Total
    England 313 195 24 0 1 0 0 533
    Wales 14 21 1 0 0 4 0 40
    Scotland 9 1 5 0 0 0 44 59
    TOTAL 336 217 30 0 1 4 44 632
    Tory majority 22
    When the youGov MRP comes out, I'll compare it with my model and use it to fine tune my assumptions.

Don't start herding on us, Barnesian!
    I won't! I'm not now going to use the YouGov MRP to fine tune my assumptions. I will compare predictions when the data tables are available. I'd need to see the assumptions within the MRP model. If it works the way I think it does in applying the voting intentions of micro populations to constituency demographics then it is underplaying tactical voting and local activists strengths.
    What favours the YouGov model is its one off track record.
    I'll continue with my independent view.
  • Options
    Any more polls expected tonight? It's minutes since the last one :lol:
  • Options

DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:
    Is that LD Swinson?
  • Options
    Watford likely Tory win and Bedford not called, a toss up.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Any more polls expected tonight? It's minutes since the last one :lol:

We've had the official exit poll, who care? ;)
  • Options
    Fancy that - anyone would think he has contacts there!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:
    Any link not behing a paywall?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,545
    edited November 2019

NeilVW said:

LD 13 would be hilarious. Could easily end up down on Tim Farron 2017.

So Bollocks to Brexit becomes sod off to swinson
    Right at the start of the campaign, after the very first canvassing session, I reported here how badly she was going down in the SW. Along with Revoke. Without revoke, she might have been given a hearing. But it was not happening. She was actively repelling people away. Not that the LibDems wanted to hear it, of course. Just that viciously anti-LibDem MarqueeMark, doing his usual routine.
    Whatever.
    And as for "Prime Minister Jo Swinson".....
    *chortle*
  • Options
    Is it just me or are people less invested this time? In 2017 the GE was a huge event, this time it feels all rather hollow.
  • Options
    Totnes likely Conservative. Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.
  • Options
    YG say this is based on an 11% lead and LDs on 14%

So if gap is 7% as per COM RES and ICM and my prediction of LDs 10 am assuming tiny maj and LD less than 13 seats
  • Options
    MRP says Lab holds Cambridge - betting op ?
  • Options
    Whoever tipped Sedgefield at 7/1 for the Conservatives, that was a cracking one.
  • Options

Brom said:

The Lib Dem result is great for the Tories. Means one battlefront is fine and they only need small Lab to Con swing for a majority.

Labour HQ will be in meltdown. Things have to get a lot better and quick for them.
    I am given to understand that the underlying assumption in this model is of a Tory lead of 11%. That ain't going to happen.

What an awful mess we are in, and with such appalling leadership on practically all sides. If there is a Hung Parliament followed by referendums galore then I really rate the chances of Scotland going this time. By all accounts the Scottish Government isn't particularly good but compared to the total shower of shite on offer from the Westminster parties the SNP appears to be a model of competence and good organisation.

If there's another EU referendum next year I'm certainly voting Remain. Parliament is useless. The more power we can strip from it the better.
    The longer they are in power, and the more power they have, the worse the SNP are. They are an improvement only by a small amount.
    All the main parties are disfunctional in different ways, run by and for cranks.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,304
    DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:
    I think he survives, but Tories will be a much closer second.
  • Options
    Wales is ok but slightly disappointing for the Conservatives, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    They reckon Caroline Lucas will scrape in with 63% of the vote.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Pulpstar said:

North norfolk and Carshalton possibly
    Found it..they have Carshalton as a tossup..within 0.2%
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Adding in the ComRes poll gives:
    Con Lab LD BXP Green PC SNP Total
    England 313 195 24 0 1 0 0 533
    Wales 14 21 1 0 0 4 0 40
    Scotland 9 1 5 0 0 0 44 59
    TOTAL 336 217 30 0 1 4 44 632
    Tory majority 22
    When the youGov MRP comes out, I'll compare it with my model and use it to fine tune my assumptions.

Don't start herding on us, Barnesian!
    I won't! I'm not now going to use the YouGov MRP to fine tune my assumptions. I will compare predictions when the data tables are available. I'd need to see the assumptions within the MRP model. If it works the way I think it does in applying the voting intentions of micro populations to constituency demographics then it is underplaying tactical voting and local activists strengths.
    What favours the YouGov model is its one off track record.
    I'll continue with my independent view.
    Looking at Broxtowe, it's evident that they do include some constituency voting, since they had the LibDems (who are not standing) on 0 and Soubry on a plausible 15%. But having done that, how do they do their MRP adjustment? An explanation would be helpful.
  • Options

Your mob on 13

Good move on your part
    Another view might be which party has been out of power longest and which one could be looking at 14 years of having being sidelined?

(not a prediction, as find it hard to imagine the buffoon winning a majority albeit the leaders of LD and Lab are doing their best to give it to him)
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

I am not celebrating and do have reservations.

However I think it is extremely unlikely this result will collapse to a hung parliament
    The model does not have Labour coming close to winning any Tory seats. Even Hastings, Chingford or Southampton Itchen. BXP standing down has been a huge help for Boris meaning he can focus less on defence. There are 80 Labour seats the Tories can win on a good day but all with various swings and local factors. To know the Tories may only need to win 10-15 of these for a majority is a huge bonus.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Eastbourne more likely IMHO
    It is Eastbourne 48/8/38
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,220
    So the MRP is based on an 11% Tory lead.

I think that now looks like a best case for the Tories.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

YG say this is based on an 11% lead and LDs on 14%

Surely it's not "based on" an 11-point lead. That comes out of the model. The lead in this model in 2017 was out of kilter with conventional polls, wasn't it? Now it's very much in kilter.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,914
    MaxPB said:

Also, if the Lib Dems get 13 seats that is basically the end of the party.

Nah, we've been down before.

There will be a significantly better national vote share, and many strong second places. While I have been predicting a Con majority, so Parliament will probably go full term, it will be a chaotic shambles of a government.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Well, what do you know?

Why isn't it?
    Because it’s 2019. The dynamics are very different. It feels very different.

Labour increasing from a very low base was always going to happen. 2017 was unique in many ways. Count the differences - from a frozen robotic impersonal leader, to abandoned debates, NHS hacks, terrorist attacks, a state of emergency, campaigns frozen, dementia tax, reversal of dementia tax, Jezz fests, leaked Labour manifesto, scores of a Con MPs facing legal action on expenses.....

What is similar this time apart from an opposition clawing their way up the polls? Which always happens. No other similar factor is in play apart from a Labour leader slightly older and much more unloved than last time.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,220

DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:
    Is that LD Swinson?
    She just hangs on.
  • Options

DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:
    Is that LD Swinson?
    She just hangs on.
    Classed as "lean" rather than "likely."

"Go back to your constituency and fight for survival"?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,802

Is there a map of individual constituencies?

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2019/
  • Options
    Ah, OK, read the explanation: https://yg-infographics-data.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ZAfbtHgj42wx4reHnaMtbBamoKdMxkFMpz4gnWMjiZCUAxDX66MsCB38K/2019_data/MRP_Tables_2019_Election_Public_Release.pdf

They have a sample of 150ish per seat, and then modify it according to demographics...I think. There are still some assumptions in there - minor candidates are assumed to score 0, for instance.

But lots of interesting results. Labour losing Bolsover but holding Canterbury, for example. All the independents seem doomed.
This discussion has been closed.