Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We could be just 18 days away from the next LAB leadership con

Comments

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Wouldn't surprise me if LAB is well clear in the Wales poll and it marks the start of the CORBYNISTA surge!
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2019
    geoffw said:

Never used it, but "Uber loses licence in London" doesn't seem good.

Lot of anti-Khan shrieking from Guido and the Speccy on this, but Uber have been pretty shabby and really need to get their act together. This is a good, short, explainer:
    https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1198935529242402816
  • Options
    geoffw said:

McDonnell: We'll squeeze Uber till the pips squeak.

Khan: Even better, I'll ban them altogether.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,872

It would be a profound relief to have Ed back. Not sure I'd vote for him, but at least I wouldn't be quaking in my carpet slippers. And Edstone is England's longest aqueduct. Not many people know that.

Possibly. Lune Aqueduct (on the Lancaster Canal) and Wigwell Aqueduct (on the Cromford) are probably longer. Edstone's lovely though.
    Sorry - I forgot to include "cast iron"! The Lune is scary - great views but much more exposed.
    I've never done the Lune - one for the list! My list of "scary places I've been on the waterways" are so far limited to the Trent tideway, and the Severn on amber-touching-red with 30mph+ crosswinds...
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019
    This is an odd one (from John Rentaul but I had to trim the tweet). The Tory party is now more popular (or, more accurately, less unpopular) than all others and much the same as it’s leader.

Weren’t Cameron and May usually more popular than the party, and wasn’t the party much lower down? All from memory so might be talking rubbish.

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184

algarkirk said:

Last time they managed to elect as leader the candidate Labour's enemies had paid £3 to join and vote for in order to help destroy the party.

The question really is will they do something similar again, or will they ask: Who does Boris and Tories fear as the next leader.

If they appoint RL-B or LP then I think it won't be long before Jo Swinson is the leader of the serious opposition. Dawn Butler and Richard Burgon are unthinkable as candidates for a serious party.

If I were a Tory I would fear, in this order, Angela Eagle Hilary Benn, Yvette Cooper, Keir Starmer and John McDonnell. John McDonnell is a bit special in that he is an extremist but very good on the media.

I expect Momentum and co will act according to form and find a way of finally destroying the Labour party.

You're assuming Jo Swinson keeps her seat and remains as leader of the Liberal Democrats - and becomes serious herself.

Jo "I will become next Prime Minister and revoke Article 50 without another referendum" Swinson is anything but serious. The Lib Dems could end this General Election with fewer MPs than it had going into the election thanks to her.
    That would be the same Jo Swinson who is has her party consistently polling at around 15% compared to 7% or so of her two predecessors?

If a party wins an absolute majority on the basis of a manifesto commitment it can do what the hell it wants. The fact she is doing twice as well as Cable or Farron is down to the fact that she had put clear blue water between her and Corbyn on the issue.

And what do you expect a party standing nationally to do? Say “oh, we’ll make a lovely coalition partner for someone”? Given our experience of coalition, and given the options would be between Marxist anti semitism and Fascist isolationist xenophobia, that would have been the fastest route to oblivion. We’re not as high as we were in the summer but we are a damn sight higher than we have been at an election for a decade.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,047

algarkirk said:

Last time they managed to elect as leader the candidate Labour's enemies had paid £3 to join and vote for in order to help destroy the party.

The question really is will they do something similar again, or will they ask: Who does Boris and Tories fear as the next leader.

If they appoint RL-B or LP then I think it won't be long before Jo Swinson is the leader of the serious opposition. Dawn Butler and Richard Burgon are unthinkable as candidates for a serious party.

If I were a Tory I would fear, in this order, Angela Eagle Hilary Benn, Yvette Cooper, Keir Starmer and John McDonnell. John McDonnell is a bit special in that he is an extremist but very good on the media.

I expect Momentum and co will act according to form and find a way of finally destroying the Labour party.

You're assuming Jo Swinson keeps her seat and remains as leader of the Liberal Democrats - and becomes serious herself.

Jo "I will become next Prime Minister and revoke Article 50 without another referendum" Swinson is anything but serious. The Lib Dems could end this General Election with fewer MPs than it had going into the election thanks to her.
    She might lose her seat...

But don't forget that (a) she was 10 points clear of the SNP in 2017; (b) the LDs are up more than the SNP in Scotland; and (c) her seat was more than 70% remain, which makes it one of the remainiest in the whole country.

While she could lose, party leaders tend to get a boost, and the nature of Scottish politics is that she probably only needs 35-37% to hold the seat. I'd probably need odds of 6-1 or more to want to bet on her losing.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

I think Kier Starmer is pretty useless. I'm not that impressed by Angela Eagle. Hilary Benn is a kindly uncle figure, not a leader. John McDonnell is dangerously articulate for a man of his views. Yvette Cooper I rate, but she's also sunk without trace in the last four years.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

That would be the same Jo Swinson who is has her party consistently polling at around 15% compared to 7% or so of her two predecessors?

If a party wins an absolute majority on the basis of a manifesto commitment it can do what the hell it wants. The fact she is doing twice as well as Cable or Farron is down to the fact that she had put clear blue water between her and Corbyn on the issue.

And what do you expect a party standing nationally to do? Say “oh, we’ll make a lovely coalition partner for someone”? Given our experience of coalition, and given the options would be between Marxist anti semitism and Fascist isolationist xenophobia, that would have been the fastest route to oblivion. We’re not as high as we were in the summer but we are a damn sight higher than we have been at an election for a decade.
    I would volunteer that you're as high as a kite
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

But don't forget that (a) she was 10 points clear of the SNP in 2017; (b) the LDs are up more than the SNP in Scotland; and (c) her seat was more than 70% remain, which makes it one of the remainiest in the whole country.

While she could lose, party leaders tend to get a boost, and the nature of Scottish politics is that she probably only needs 35-37% to hold the seat. I'd probably need odds of 6-1 or more to want to bet on her losing.
    YES got 38.8% in 2014 on Turnout of 91%
    In 2015 the SNP Candidate won with 40.3% on Turnout of 81.9% (the highest in the whole UK)
    In 2017 the SNP Candidate lost with 30.3% on Turnout of 78.8%

35% is almost certainly enough for Swinson to hold.
  • Options
    Just looking back at old Vanilla messages.

I tipped Labour to win Edinburgh South during the 2015 SNP landslide.

How fucking good am I?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    edited November 2019
    Endillion said:

Er, Rebecca Prolongs-Ceilidh.

In fairness to her, she's the only Continuity Corbyn (CoCo?) candidate I can see actually doing reasonably well. She has at least something in the way of gravitas that is totally lacking from the likes of Rayner, Pidcock, Butler etc.

In this country gravitas is not required to be an electorally successful leader of a big political party. Such is about to be confirmed beyond all doubt 17 days from now.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184

DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

It’s that kind of incisive, thoughtful, witty retort that keeps me coming back here.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

In 2015 the SNP Candidate won with 40.3% on Turnout of 81.9% (the highest in the whole UK)

I hope she hangs on. It would be nice to see if she grows up
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,593
    geoffw said:

It will keep its licence once the processes and litigation is complete
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

It’s that kind of incisive, thoughtful, witty retort that keeps me coming back here.
    Pleased to keep you interested/ entertained.
  • Options

It would be a profound relief to have Ed back. Not sure I'd vote for him, but at least I wouldn't be quaking in my carpet slippers. And Edstone is England's longest aqueduct. Not many people know that.

Possibly. Lune Aqueduct (on the Lancaster Canal) and Wigwell Aqueduct (on the Cromford) are probably longer. Edstone's lovely though.
    Sorry - I forgot to include "cast iron"! The Lune is scary - great views but much more exposed.
    I've never done the Lune - one for the list! My list of "scary places I've been on the waterways" are so far limited to the Trent tideway, and the Severn on amber-touching-red with 30mph+ crosswinds...
    So that's how you earned your captain's stripes!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It’ll have to be a woman, no question.

Beyond that it depends on how badly they lose, and what the assumed reasons settle on being during the aftermath. That the likes of Pidcock are even in the betting indicates that they aren’t overwhelmed with talent.

I reckon that's also a big reason why Swinson got it for the LDs.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

I think Kier Starmer is pretty useless. I'm not that impressed by Angela Eagle. Hilary Benn is a kindly uncle figure, not a leader. John McDonnell is dangerously articulate for a man of his views. Yvette Cooper I rate, but she's also sunk without trace in the last four years.
    If I was a Tory, I would consider myself to be lucky beyond belief to be facing any of those listed. Anglea Eagle? Come on, please.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Yes, it is worth nothing that Jo Swinson, in 2015, achieved the impossible.

She raised the total LibDem vote count in her constituency. In an election where the LDs lost almost two thirds of their votes nationwide, she went from 18,551 to 19,926 votes. That was far and away the best LibDem performance of the night.

She then increased her vote total again in 2017, taking the seat easily as the SNP fell back.

So, while she might lose this time around, she's clearly a doughty campaigner and locally popular.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

algarkirk said:

I did suggest that was the risk of letting all those no-mark MPs join up to the LibDems just to get their Westminster pay-offs. Anything under 20 MPs will now look rather shabby.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

I was with you entirely until the last sentence. Cooper was leading the opposition (if not actually Leader of the Opposition) pretty effectively throughout the anti-No-Deal/anti-Brexit incident. While she has no chance of becoming leader, I think she's one of the few Labour MPs (maybe all MPs) whose reputation has been enhanced recently.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    Been listening to Ed Millibands 'Reasons to be Cheerful' podcasts while on the bike, treadmill & so on at the gym. Comes across as a rather gentle, but thoughtful and self-deprecating chap, who nevertheless learns from mistakes and thinks about what he's doing. Labour could do a lot worse than go back to him.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365

Been listening to Ed Millibands 'Reasons to be Cheerful' podcasts while on the bike, treadmill & so on at the gym. Comes across as a rather gentle, but thoughtful and self-deprecating chap, who nevertheless learns from mistakes and thinks about what he's doing. Labour could do a lot worse than go back to him.

Yes I agree, I don't think there would be another Edstone...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    Penddu2 said:

Cookie said:

Penddu2 said:

I have not heard any whispers from the poll, but based on some feedback from the streets:
    Corbyn is strongly disliked - but Tories still toxic in much of Wales. Brexit Party not getting anywhere. Plaid doing well in places but not widely. LDs disappearing without a trace.

Expect Welsh polls to show repeat of 2017.... but on the other hand Scully did say Blimey again....

I have taken the plunge and wagered £5 on PC winning Ronddha. If Labour are collapsing, it will be in places like the valleys that it collapses the most. In most valleys seats they can bear this easily, as voters aren't going to switch to the Cons (or indeed the LDs) - but where PC has a presence there might be a target to switch to. 15-1 on Betfair if you agree with my logic! To be clear, I don't expect this to happen, but I don't think it's as unlikely as the odds suggest.
    They might win Rhondda....but Ronddha not so much....

Sorry - had several goes at getting the consonants in the right order and quantity and clearly failed.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

I'm pretty sure that if he did come back, it would take me about a month to decide he was essentially a Marxist again. It would be an interesting experiment in perceptions, I guess.

If Ed is a Marxist, we definitely need a new word for Marxist.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

algarkirk said:

I did suggest that was the risk of letting all those no-mark MPs join up to the LibDems just to get their Westminster pay-offs. Anything under 20 MPs will now look rather shabby.
    I think you're suffering a bit from recency bias.

In just 13 years ('97-'10) in the post WW2 period did the LDs get more than about twenty seats in a General Election. To get back to that level within four years of being almost completely wiped out is objectively a pretty good achievement.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

In fairness to her, she's the only Continuity Corbyn (CoCo?) candidate I can see actually doing reasonably well. She has at least something in the way of gravitas that is totally lacking from the likes of Rayner, Pidcock, Butler etc.

In this country gravitas is not required to be an electorally successful leader of a big political party. Such is about to be confirmed beyond all doubt 17 days from now.
    Hmm, you're right that "gravitas" isn't quite the word I'm looking for. "Substance" isn't much better. "Presence"?

Alternatively, is it perhaps the case that the major party leader with the most of [whatever the right word is] is currently ahead in the polls?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Yes, it is worth nothing that Jo Swinson, in 2015, achieved the impossible.

She raised the total LibDem vote count in her constituency. In an election where the LDs lost almost two thirds of their votes nationwide, she went from 18,551 to 19,926 votes. That was far and away the best LibDem performance of the night.

She then increased her vote total again in 2017, taking the seat easily as the SNP fell back.

So, while she might lose this time around, she's clearly a doughty campaigner and locally popular.
    In the face of much mockery I tipped Swinson as a good value bet for holding her seat in 2015 as she would clearly be the beneficiary of Unionist tactical voting.

Of course the irony is that 19,926 votes was a two and a half percentage points lower than her 2010 score.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Cookie said:

Sorry - had several goes at getting the consonants in the right order and quantity and clearly failed.

Better effort than The Beach Boys.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Don’t forget that Bozo is the most unpopular new prime minister in all of polling history (says John Curtice)
  • Options
    JamesPJamesP Posts: 85
    Conservative Overall Majority now 1.39 on Betfair
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,712
    Is there a reason why Thornberry is so low? She's good at the dispatch box, ardent Remainer, but good friends with the Corbyn wing. I think if she got McDonnell on side, she'd win it easy.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

that said Ed M is a hell of a lot better than any of the others that might succeed Corbyn.

Ed looked a broken man in the recent campaigning photos.

Sad to see.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Is there a reason why Thornberry is so low? She's good at the dispatch box, ardent Remainer, but good friends with the Corbyn wing. I think if she got McDonnell on side, she'd win it easy.

Has to hold her seat first.

Brexiteers can have fun with tactical voting too.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

that said Ed M is a hell of a lot better than any of the others that might succeed Corbyn.

Ed looked a broken man in the recent campaigning photo's.

Sad to see.

• Options

SunnyJim said:

Ed looked a broken man in the recent campaigning photo's.

Sad to see.

Both brothers were ruined by photos, one by a banana, and the other by a bacon buttie.
  • Options
    JamesP said:

JamesP said:

Someone has heard about mori and the welsh poll?
  • Options
    Something is definitely brewing on the Con Maj market.

There is a wall of money waiting to back the Tories.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

No Swinson fan, me, but I do think this "lol" at her saying she can be PM is silly. The LDs stand in every seat, she is a rank outsider, sure, but nevertheless a contender. And with the choice of Johnson or Corbyn being so polarizing, and with Farage on the scene, it was not utterly impossible for something wild to happen. It probably is now, but it certainly wasn't when the GE was called.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764
    edited November 2019
    Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

I was with you entirely until the last sentence. Cooper was leading the opposition (if not actually Leader of the Opposition) pretty effectively throughout the anti-No-Deal/anti-Brexit incident. While she has no chance of becoming leader, I think she's one of the few Labour MPs (maybe all MPs) whose reputation has been enhanced recently.
    Cooper would, by a country mile, be the best leader Labour could elect. Therefore a virtual certainty to be discarded. I've even forgiven her for HIPS - a typical half-baked civil service brainwave that a minister should have resisted but all too often doesn't.
  • Options
    5pm.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Something is definitely brewing on the Con Maj market.

There is a wall of money waiting to back the Tories.

I'm surprised, I thought people would wait to see what the Waspie(?) impact looked like.
  • Options

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Cooper would, by a country mile, be the best leader Labour could elect. Therefore a virtual certainty to be discarded. I've even forgiven her for HIPS - a typical half-baked civil service brainwave that a minister should have resisted but all too often doesn't.
    I know it is very unlikely now but if her hubby ever decided to get back into Parliament I think he would also bring a lot of support back to Labour.
  • Options

5pm.

Do you still get pre-sight of these polls these days? Obviously not asking for any hints as I know the rules but just wondered out of interest if you already know what is in the two polls?

• Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

I'm pretty sure that if he did come back, it would take me about a month to decide he was essentially a Marxist again. It would be an interesting experiment in perceptions, I guess.

If Ed is a Marxist, we definitely need a new word for Marxist.
    Yes I'd love to see what his real kitchen looks like.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Endillion said:

Hmm, you're right that "gravitas" isn't quite the word I'm looking for. "Substance" isn't much better. "Presence"?

Alternatively, is it perhaps the case that the major party leader with the most of [whatever the right word is] is currently ahead in the polls?

Presence, yes. Or charisma. Johnson has that/those in spades.

Of gravitas he has almost none.

He's similar to somebody like Freddie Starr in this regard.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited November 2019
    mrrrm, SI spreads just got suspended. At least at this time of day, that tends to mean something interesting is about to come out.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

I know it is very unlikely now but if her hubby ever decided to get back into Parliament I think he would also bring a lot of support back to Labour.
    Political intellectuals like the Cooper-Balls and the Eagles are out of fashion in Labour.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,388
    The problem for Labour is not that the membership is mad, it's that there are no moderates who can chart out a way ahead that doesn't look like surrender to Toryism. And they're all lightweight figures themselves.

The only Labour MP who is capable of sticking it to the Tories without being a Corbyn apologist is Jess Phillips, but there's no sign that she has the answers.
  • Options

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Ed Balls used to be one of those politicians people took an instinctive dislike to, so unless Strictly has changed that, which it might have done, I'm not sure he is the king across the water.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Cooper has some attractive features, but she is a quitter, not a fighter.

After all, if she had not gone on holiday and left Corby to campaign, Corby might never have won the Labour leadership contest.

I don't think Cooper has the fighting qualities for what lies ahead.

Besides, even Tom Watson does not.
  • Options
    There is a fantastic photo, by the way, of Boris shearing a sheep at the telegraph webpage at the moment.
    I can think of no other political party leader who can get away with stuff like this. Ed Miliband attempts to eat a bacon sandwich and gets pilloried. Boris adopts a strange squatting position while waving an electric clipper ineptly towards a sheep while shepherds look on in concern and the paper which is his main cheerleader publishes it, confident that it is a good look and that people will think better of him as a result. And it works - they do. Not everyone - for the Rogers of this world he could win the Nobel Peace Prize and they'd find a reason to vilify him - but a truly surprising number of people lap it up.
    My theory is it's that he appears to be enjoying himself. He reminds me of MacMillan in that respect (though obviously that was long before my time) - he campaigns with enthusiasm and energy and joy, and people respond on a visceral level.
  • Options

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Ed Balls used to be one of those politicians people took an instinctive dislike to, so unless Strictly has changed that, which it might have done, I'm not sure he is the king across the water.
    I really don't understand that. I always found him a very human and sympathetic figure. But obviously you know the party better. I just think it is a shame.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited November 2019

5pm.

Do you still get pre-sight of these polls these days? Obviously not asking for any hints as I know the rules but just wondered out of interest if you already know what is in the two polls?

Some not all.

Most pollsters do tell me when there is a poll due even if they do not give the details of what the poll shows.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

"Bottom" is traditionally used, though more so in the blue team, perhaps.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

There is a fantastic photo, by the way, of Boris shearing a sheep at the telegraph webpage at the moment.
    I can think of no other political party leader who can get away with stuff like this. Ed Miliband attempts to eat a bacon sandwich and gets pilloried. Boris adopts a strange squatting position while waving an electric clipper ineptly towards a sheep while shepherds look on in concern and the paper which is his main cheerleader publishes it, confident that it is a good look and that people will think better of him as a result. And it works - they do. Not everyone - for the Rogers of this world he could win the Nobel Peace Prize and they'd find a reason to vilify him - but a truly surprising number of people lap it up.
    My theory is it's that he appears to be enjoying himself. He reminds me of MacMillan in that respect (though obviously that was long before my time) - he campaigns with enthusiasm and energy and joy, and people respond on a visceral level.

Given who has won the Nobel Peace Prize they might have a point.
  • Options
    Roger Awan-Scully
    @roger_scully
    ·
    1h
    The next Welsh Political Barometer poll, by @YouGov
    for @ITVWales
    and @cardiffuni
    , will be published by @ITVWales
    and on my blog (http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/) at 5pm today.

This is one that will certainly be worth the wait...
  • Options

The problem for Labour is not that the membership is mad, it's that there are no moderates who can chart out a way ahead that doesn't look like surrender to Toryism. And they're all lightweight figures themselves.

The only Labour MP who is capable of sticking it to the Tories without being a Corbyn apologist is Jess Phillips, but there's no sign that she has the answers.

The moderates' self-exclusion from the Shadow Cabinet shot themselves in the foot. They've all missed their chance to project themselves as a future leader. You need to be on the front bench for that.
  • Options

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

I really don't understand that. I always found him a very human and sympathetic figure. But obviously you know the party better. I just think it is a shame.
    He was the one I liked the least in the Brown government. And then he lost his seat and gave a decent and generous concession speech, and he turned almost instantly into a human. It wasn't the strictly effect for me (oh, the inanity) but an interview I heard with him on the radio a couple of weeks after. Came across as totally normal. Why can't politicians do this while they're in office? I think they spend so much time in the Westminster bubble that they think the constant baiting of the opposition is a normal way to behave, rather than making you appear a jerk.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Andrew said:

mrrrm, SI spreads just got suspended. At least at this time of day, that tends to mean something interesting is about to come out.

Returned with mids 350-204-25
  • Options

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

After all, if she had not gone on holiday and left Corby to campaign, Corby might never have won the Labour leadership contest.

Johnson is looking at a decade in Downing Street, the way things look at the moment.

I suspect Labour will need to go through another longest suicide note election after this one before sense is returned.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Wasn't he mixed up with all that Damien McBride nastiness?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Labour’s Shadow Housing Minister, Sarah Jones, was all over the shop about WASPI women on Politics Live today.

Labour getting WASPI stung?

Its a stupid promise TBF
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,921
    Andrew said:

SPIN gets suspended if there is a "y" in the day.

:)
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Wasn't he mixed up with all that Damien McBride nastiness?
    I think that was more Tom Watson, though nothing stuck.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971

The affection for politicians past and disdain for the present batch always reminds me of the conversation about art between M. Danglars & The Count of Monte Cristo

“If you will permit me, I shall be happy to show you my picture gallery, composed entirely of works by the ancient masters—warranted as such. Not a modern picture among them. I cannot endure the modern school of painting.”

“You are perfectly right in objecting to them, for this one great fault—that they have not yet had time to become old.”
  • Options

Labour’s Shadow Housing Minister, Sarah Jones, was all over the shop about WASPI women on Politics Live today.

Its a stupid promise TBF
    Fair play BJO.

It was just knee jerk and not thought out in a desperate attempt to add a few more votes to labour
  • Options

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Johnson is looking at a decade in Downing Street, the way things look at the moment.

I suspect Labour will need to go through another longest suicide note election after this one before sense is returned.
    Is the manifesto sufficiently in line with what the members want, that there won't be room to argue afterwards that it wasn't socialist enough, or similar?

Whatever the generally accepted reason for defeat is, will have major ramifications on the subject in the thread header.
  • Options

The election after this one is the one that worries me.

We could potentially be 14 years in to a Tory government and if Labour have got rid of their moderates and stopped talking about the EU they could come back with an even more radical manifesto and be in with a shout.

We've already had the chat in our house about bringing forward retirement plans abroad to avoid any stops on QROPS, or wider capital controls, in the event of the prospect of 2024 hard Labour win.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    He's been seemingly pushing this line for a few weeks now. I find for a journalist he projects what he wants to happen far too often without really understanding how the polls work.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882
    Lewis sounds like he's clutching straws there?
  • Options
    If you ever need confirmation of Goodall's pro labour bias you have it here and it has been going on for weeks
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

<

She also voted in favour of the Iraq war and therefore belongs in jail as far as I'm concerned.

It would be nice to return some accountability to this country. Fat chance though.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882
    edited November 2019
    SunnyJim said:

The election after this one is the one that worries me.

We could potentially be 14 years in to a Tory government and if Labour have got rid of their moderates and stopped talking about the EU they could come back with an even more radical manifesto and be in with a shout.

We've already had the chat in our house about bringing forward retirement plans abroad to avoid any stops on QROPS, or wider capital controls, in the event of the prospect of 2024 hard Labour win.
    If Labour don't come to their senses and put someone sensible in I think 2023/2024 is more likely to see the Lib-Dems replace Labour as the official Opposition.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    If corbyn gets over 200 he stays on for a bit. Under 200 and he goes immediately. Making gains or standing still and hes PM.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    llef said:

the welsh opinion poll to be released today is supposed to be "interesting"

"It’s just one poll... but blimey. #welshpoliticalbarometer"

https://twitter.com/roger_scully/status/1198942191105822720

They say that about all Welsh polls.
  • Options
    Brom said:

He's been seemingly pushing this line for a few weeks now. I find for a journalist he projects what he wants to happen far too often without really understanding how the polls work.

He knows how the polls works from his stint at the IPPR.

I’ve seen his presentations on the polls, he knows what he is talking about, back in late 2016 he did some polling analysis saying that at the next GE Labour leave voters wouldn’t back the Tories saying they wanted a different type of Brexit to Tory Leavers, that they didn’t want Singapore on the Thames.

He was right then.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kle4 said:

llef said:

It'll probably end up as no change from last time. :D
  • Options

algarkirk said:

I did love the story about the horror the no-mark MP who referred to people as having a "funny tinge" when she realised after doing a Chicken Run that she was no long entitled to a pay-off should she lose [or when she loses]. Oh dear, what a shame!
  • Options
    isam said:

The affection for politicians past and disdain for the present batch always reminds me of the conversation about art between M. Danglars & The Count of Monte Cristo

“If you will permit me, I shall be happy to show you my picture gallery, composed entirely of works by the ancient masters—warranted as such. Not a modern picture among them. I cannot endure the modern school of painting.”

“You are perfectly right in objecting to them, for this one great fault—that they have not yet had time to become old.”
    Touch of class there, Iam! Not just a pretty face, but a man of letters too.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Brom said:

He's right though when you look at the cross tabs. The undecideds skew towards people who voted Labour last time.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    It's been a feature of PB for years that many posters simply post what they want to happen and then dress it up as a prediction.

But surely we should expect better from a journalist with a major news organisation.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

If you ever need confirmation of Goodall's pro labour bias you have it here and it has been going on for weeks
    I tend to think most of us on PB are more informed than him. He always says 'my instinct is...' and then describes exactly what all the polls imply with an added caveat that Labour are bound to improve because thats what happened in 2017 and people can't actually like the Tories.
  • Options

Its a stupid promise TBF
    It'a also a promise that could never be fulfilled. The economic damage wreaked by Corbyn will make that certain. I'm not even sure the women affected really believe it's possible.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Apparently Alister Campbell is doorknocking for Lib Dems and Labour in different seats depending on the Labour candidates. He says there are an awful people of all persuasions who are not certain. Perhaps we should ban all polls or just ignore them, they could be misleading everyone. Remember they are not to be taken as accurate, always a margin of error, and really only point to trends. The single one I check on is the large scale constituency exit poll at 22.00 on polling day.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347
    edited November 2019

Brom said:

I’ve seen his presentations on the polls, he knows what he is talking about, back in late 2016 he did some polling analysis saying that at the next GE Labour leave voters wouldn’t back the Tories saying they wanted a different type of Brexit to Tory Leavers, that they didn’t want Singapore on the Thames.

He was right then.
    And the IPPR he worked for is a left wing think tank and he is very much a labour supporter
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Cookie said:

IMO his biggest attraction for many people (particularly apoliticals) is that he appears to not take himself at all seriously. And his main strength is also his main weakness. Because it is that very same thing - more precisely the sense that he takes nothing seriously - which turns off many other people, the more thoughtful types.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Ah, but that was before Corbyn and Pals showed just how good the politicians of Ed Ball's era actually were.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

Are we listing New Order album titles?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited November 2019

Brom said:

He was right then.
    And the IPPR he worked for is a left wing think tank and he is very much a labour supporter
    Playing the man and not the ball again.

PS - Am fairly certain one of the PM’s SPADs worked for the IPPR.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

llef said:

He does have a habit of hinting at some bombshell poll, which ends up being a big of a damp squib.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Brom said:

He was right then.
    Now they have something to compare it to. I think Sunil posted earlier about polls swinging one way then the opposite in elections - 2010 understate labour, 2015 overstate labour, 2017 understate labour - is it going to swing the other way again?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

llef said:

The real corblimey Welsh poll would be one with the Tories winning more seats than Labour.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038

kle4 said:

llef said:

It'll probably end up as no change from last time. :D
    Plaid Cymru well ahead in the Valleys. That'd put the whatsits up Labour

NB Before anyone panics, that's just a thought!
  • Options
    theakes said:

Apparently Alister Campbell is doorknocking for Lib Dems and Labour in different seats depending on the Labour candidates. He says there are an awful people of all persuasions who are not certain. Perhaps we should ban all polls or just ignore them, they could be misleading everyone. Remember they are not to be taken as accurate, always a margin of error, and really only point to trends. The single one I check on is the large scale constituency exit poll at 22.00 on polling day.

Isn't the 'uncertainty' thing, well, uncertain? How many people say they are uncertain when really they have already made up their minds? Shy Tories and indeed shy Labour now. Campbell is one of the 'all to play for' mongers, like Abbott, so the more his claims about uncertains, the more I disbelieve him.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Are you still predicting meltdown for PC? Going by the polls they seem to be doing fine.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    PaulM said:

Brom said:

He's right though when you look at the cross tabs. The undecideds skew towards people who voted Labour last time.
    And if turnout is high because people consider this an important election, then that should favour Labour and prove him correct.

How's that for a poster NOT posting what they want to happen?
This discussion has been closed.