Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ready for President Chuck Grassley?

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    On Civ VI, first time I won on Deity level was as the Vikings.....
  • Options
    humbugger said:

That's absurd. The reason we have sky-high fares and railways are so expensive to build and operate are due to the union strangehold. And service reliability suffers too whenever a single rostered member of staff is out of the line.

If we had unions everywhere, like the 70s, we'd have national stoppages and strikes in every sector you could think of (imagine Sainsbury's and Waitrose being empty due to regular lorrymen strikes) higher prices as a result, poorer choice as corporatism and consolidation occurred to counter the unions, and a sclerotic and unpredictable economy making it impossible for businesses to confidently invest. Everyone would be poorer and more miserable. It'd be an industrial relations masterclass in the tragedy of the commons.

And have you met many train drivers by the way, particularly in TfL? They are some of the most miserable people on the planet, despite having superb pay and benefits.

Maybe because people like you constantly shout and scream at them.
    Good evening all.

CorrectHorseBattery, do you support Labour's proposals to end the ban on secondary strikes?
    That isn't a Labour policy is it, is it in the manifesto?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Around 37% of voter registrations were duplicates in 2017. So something to bear in mind .

Yesterday’s 300,000 figure is the fourth largest ever recorded, the record was on deadline day in 2017 with 622,000 .

• Options
    egg said:

egg said:

Not sure Boris's plan to ban rail strikes is such a good idea. A lot of commuters actually sympathize with the staff and see them as heroically defying the greedy and incompetent privatization fat cats. This could be seen as Boris just making life easier for his friends.

If I was a commuter I would be relieved that someone is taking on the RMT
    It would be a crazy announcement, unnecessary class war announcement, a circle the wagons klaxon for the labour tribe, a patriotic war where it doesn’t matter your opinion of the czar you are fighting for,* and cost Tories a majority in the seconds it takes to announce it.

Such as the Decembrists and Freemasons fighting for the Russian Caesar against napoleon
    That is a bit over the top
    Consider the Tories 3.1 up at half time, all they need in second half is to see it out not start a fight.

Every Labour poster to this site is praying tonight for strike banning announcements in tomorrow’s manifesto. Every Labour MP in trouble needs the Tories to start a sort of ideological patriotic war where it doesn’t matter your opinion of the czar you are fighting for.

Game changer.
    Quite right. Boris just needs to keep his head down and count the days - he will then be delivered triumphantly to Downing Street on a golden cloud. A reckless über-Thatcherite move such as banning industrial action could be his dementia-tax moment.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Around 37% of voter registrations were duplicates in 2017. So something to bear in mind .

Yesterday’s 300,000 figure is the fourth largest ever recorded, the record was on deadline day in 2017 with 622,000 .

Still, 63% is potentially a lot of people, if they can be bothered to vote.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    edited November 2019
    nico67 said:

I'm never convinced by these figures. when you 'add' up them all it probably comes to more than the total electorate!

Most of them are already likely to be registered.
  • Options

humbugger said:

That's absurd. The reason we have sky-high fares and railways are so expensive to build and operate are due to the union strangehold. And service reliability suffers too whenever a single rostered member of staff is out of the line.

If we had unions everywhere, like the 70s, we'd have national stoppages and strikes in every sector you could think of (imagine Sainsbury's and Waitrose being empty due to regular lorrymen strikes) higher prices as a result, poorer choice as corporatism and consolidation occurred to counter the unions, and a sclerotic and unpredictable economy making it impossible for businesses to confidently invest. Everyone would be poorer and more miserable. It'd be an industrial relations masterclass in the tragedy of the commons.

And have you met many train drivers by the way, particularly in TfL? They are some of the most miserable people on the planet, despite having superb pay and benefits.

Good evening all.

CorrectHorseBattery, do you support Labour's proposals to end the ban on secondary strikes?
    Don't know about the manifesto, but MacDonnell I believe said in a radio interview this week that they'd lift the ban.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Looking at the BBC news website front page there is s picture of Jezza wrapped up in a scarf and the story is that he is defending his neutral stance.

Together with the story he looks nothing more than an irrelevant, perhaps kindly, old bloke. Certainly not a leader of the type i think is what we want right now.

We need a Strong Man you reckon? Get the trains running on time etc?
    Absolutely.
    There's a large man that runs a watch shop near Romford station, do you think he could be a candidate?
  • Options

DeClare said:

MikeL said:

FPT: the 1.54 has now gone.

And NOM has gone from 3.05 to 3.1.

Early rumours???

Postal voting packs were being delivered today and some ballot slips will have already been posted back, any polls after today will start to become partial exit polls.
    Does anyone know what the percentage postal votes was last time? More interestingly, do we have any guesstimates on how quickly they get sent back?
    I know that in my district ward it is 22% and that is indicative of the constituency as a whole. However, that is the base of permanent ones before the new applications for this election. In my ward there are two of the eight parishes where voters would benefit more from PVs but they have markedly lower rates of PVs - I presume they want the polling business for their village halls in both cases.
    That’s something I have wondered about. Are polling station locations paid to host? And do they volunteer or are they voluntold?
  • Options
    It is only two weeks to the last weekend before polling day
  • Options
    humbugger said:

humbugger said:

Good evening all.

Don't know about the manifesto, but MacDonnell I believe said in a radio interview this week that they'd lift the ban.
    I don't think he did. I think he said he supported the idea but Labour wasn't implementing it.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365

egg said:

egg said:

Not sure Boris's plan to ban rail strikes is such a good idea. A lot of commuters actually sympathize with the staff and see them as heroically defying the greedy and incompetent privatization fat cats. This could be seen as Boris just making life easier for his friends.

It would be a crazy announcement, unnecessary class war announcement, a circle the wagons klaxon for the labour tribe, a patriotic war where it doesn’t matter your opinion of the czar you are fighting for,* and cost Tories a majority in the seconds it takes to announce it.

Such as the Decembrists and Freemasons fighting for the Russian Caesar against napoleon
    Consider the Tories 3.1 up at half time, all they need in second half is to see it out not start a fight.

Every Labour poster to this site is praying tonight for strike banning announcements in tomorrow’s manifesto. Every Labour MP in trouble needs the Tories to start a sort of ideological patriotic war where it doesn’t matter your opinion of the czar you are fighting for.

Game changer.
    Quite right. Boris just needs to keep his head down and count the days - he will then be delivered triumphantly to Downing Street on a golden cloud. A reckless über-Thatcherite move such as banning industrial action could be his dementia-tax moment.
    JRM needs to be in Siberia too!
  • Options
    Has anyone worked out how much the Lib Dem vote would need to be squeezed in order to close the polling gap?
  • Options

humbugger said:

humbugger said:

Good evening all.

I don't think he did. I think he said he supported the idea but Labour wasn't implementing it.
    My apologies if I'm wrong. Just as a matter of interest do you support the idea?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

I think you're rather over estimating the testimony. Pretty much all of them have said they personally saw or heard nothing that was a quid pro quo or that military aid would be withheld pending Biden being investigated. And, of course, in any Senate trial the Bidens will have to testify as proceedings are under the control of the (republican) senate who absolutely wont vote to convict (no Republicans supported impeachment hearings in the house). Biden is on thin ice and the Burisma affair could end his presidential run. Schiff will also find himself being questioned over his fake transcript that kicked this off. The FBI have expressed an interest in questioning the whistleblower. Finally the polling amongst independents has turned against impeachment, it has become a wholly partisan issue and we have the whistleblowers attorney (Zaid) tweeting in Jan 2017 'the coup has begun, impeachment will follow later'.

Now, I'm soft on the Donald and hard on the Dems so my comments need to be seen in that light, but the coverage is heavily skewed by the anti trump msm and the dems having complete control over the process whilst it's in the house. All that changes if it goes to a full trial, and an acquittal will inevitably look bad on the Dems for pursuing an attempt to remove a sitting president, much as the Republicans attempt to oust Clinton did.

I wouldn't waste money on anyone being president that isn't the Donald before the election.

Losing the Senate vote is not necessarily to the Democrats’ disadvantage. If they can make a solid case against Trump, but the GOP simply ignore it, then the Dems can run on a “the White House is not enough, we have to win the Senate too” line to appeal to their base, donors and appalled independents (of which there will be many).
  • Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 27
    Those advocating nationalisation of the railways clearly cannot remember how bad British Rail was. Grossly unreliable and inefficient and prone to UK wide strikes paralysing the entire network.
  • Options

Thank you.

I think we'll take that as conceding the point then.
    No I'm not conceding anything. I just think you personally attacking train drivers as being miserable is not relevant and just makes you look like an angry old person. I'm sure you're not like that at all - but I couldn't let that go unchallenged.

In Germany they have wide collective bargaining, very high union membership and the result is very reliable trains, efficient public services and good wages.

"Back to the 70s" is the most boring and oft-repeated attack I see on this site. There is not one policy from Labour that would do that, it's as ridiculous as me calling Boris Johnson a facist.
    You've failed to engage with the argument and gone for the personal instead, which shows how weak you know your ground is.

And in case you'd forgetten I've worked with TfL for the last six years and know quite a bit about what I'm talking about.

I suggest you change the subject or log off before you embarrass yourself further.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I'm never convinced by these figures. when you 'add' up them all it probably comes to more than the total electorate!

You always get a high number of young people registering in each election because they become new voters all the time, and move around a lot.

It means little.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

humbugger said:

humbugger said:

Good evening all.

My apologies if I'm wrong. Just as a matter of interest do you support the idea?
    I don't know enough about it to make a comment, to be honest. I support the right to strike though and I like the idea of stronger trade unions. Perhaps you can conclude from that if I would support it or not.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    nico67 said:

The question is is the *share* of young people more than 2017 not if there are more young people registering. I don't doubt for a minute there are more young people registering to vote.

But are they keeping up with older people such that their share of new * young* registrants is higher than older new registrants.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882

Getting into the business end of this election now Big G!
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

nico67 said:

The question is is the *share* of young people more than 2017 not if there are more young people registering. I don't doubt for a minute there are more young people registering to vote.

But are they keeping up with older people such that their share of new * young* registrants is higher than older new registrants.
    I think it is yes, a lot higher in terms of people registering to vote. If they all voted, I don't doubt it would be a Hung Parliament.
  • Options

nico67 said:

The share....look at the share of young people and compared it to 2017.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Getting into the business end of this election now Big G!
    Fingers crossed Gin
  • Options

nico67 said:

The 37 figure is the amount of duplicates for 2017 so I’d use that as a good yardstick . Current registrations even allowing for likely duplicates are running well ahead of 2017 and that’s also taking into account the last campaign was longer .
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

If I had big pockets this is just the sort of time I'd be dropping a couple of Big Ones on a Tory Majority, in all honesty.

As it is I'm dropping in a ton or two only. I may put more in by payday, unless the odds have come down to something silly like 1.2 or less.

Query "ton"; £100 or £1000?
    Ton = £100
    Big One = £1,000
    Stick = £Million (but not sure too many punters play at that level in politics)
    Useful info, thank you. Is this city slang, betting slang, or some other thing I'm not aware of?
    Cockney rhyming slang/cityspeak/wallstreet speak.
    Well, “doing a ton” has meant speeding at 100mph for as long as I can remember, and I’m 53.
  • Options
    I must say Corbyn looks a forlorn picture on the news media who are not giving him an easy time on Brexit
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

The 37 figure is the amount of duplicates for 2017 so I’d use that as a good yardstick . Current registrations even allowing for likely duplicates are running well ahead of 2017 and that’s also taking into account the last campaign was longer .
    And we didn't have a surge in one day like we did last time.
  • Options

nunu2 said:

nico67 said:

I think it is yes, a lot higher in terms of people registering to vote. If they all voted, I don't doubt it would be a Hung Parliament.
    Do you have figures?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

I've voted.

In fact 4 postal votes sent back from chez BJO
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

DeClare said:

MikeL said:

Early rumours???

Postal voting packs were being delivered today and some ballot slips will have already been posted back, any polls after today will start to become partial exit polls.
    Does anyone know what the percentage postal votes was last time? More interestingly, do we have any guesstimates on how quickly they get sent back?
    I know that in my district ward it is 22% and that is indicative of the constituency as a whole. However, that is the base of permanent ones before the new applications for this election. In my ward there are two of the eight parishes where voters would benefit more from PVs but they have markedly lower rates of PVs - I presume they want the polling business for their village halls in both cases.
    That’s something I have wondered about. Are polling station locations paid to host? And do they volunteer or are they voluntold?
    They are paid, but it's not big money and I don't think they can be forced to do it, that's why councils try to use their own buildings such as schools, libraries etc.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,073
    rpjs said:

I think you're rather over estimating the testimony. Pretty much all of them have said they personally saw or heard nothing that was a quid pro quo or that military aid would be withheld pending Biden being investigated. And, of course, in any Senate trial the Bidens will have to testify as proceedings are under the control of the (republican) senate who absolutely wont vote to convict (no Republicans supported impeachment hearings in the house). Biden is on thin ice and the Burisma affair could end his presidential run. Schiff will also find himself being questioned over his fake transcript that kicked this off. The FBI have expressed an interest in questioning the whistleblower. Finally the polling amongst independents has turned against impeachment, it has become a wholly partisan issue and we have the whistleblowers attorney (Zaid) tweeting in Jan 2017 'the coup has begun, impeachment will follow later'.

Now, I'm soft on the Donald and hard on the Dems so my comments need to be seen in that light, but the coverage is heavily skewed by the anti trump msm and the dems having complete control over the process whilst it's in the house. All that changes if it goes to a full trial, and an acquittal will inevitably look bad on the Dems for pursuing an attempt to remove a sitting president, much as the Republicans attempt to oust Clinton did.

I wouldn't waste money on anyone being president that isn't the Donald before the election.

Losing the Senate vote is not necessarily to the Democrats’ disadvantage. If they can make a solid case against Trump, but the GOP simply ignore it, then the Dems can run on a “the White House is not enough, we have to win the Senate too” line to appeal to their base, donors and appalled independents (of which there will be many).
    There is that, yes. I guess if they can get a couple of Republicans to vote for conviction it strengthens their hand a bit on that front. As I said though, the polling from indies has turned against impeachment.
    On the dem nomination front, Lindsay Graham has opened an investigation into Bidens conduct in office. Again, this is going to be seen as a partisan move but it may have a material effect on the race as the Burisma affair (and dealings in China on a similar vein) stink irrespective of Trumps actions subsequently.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Boris has always been loyal to his friends. Witness Darius Guppy
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

I've voted.

Vote early, vote often?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Alistair said:

How have you managed to avoid all the first hand testimony detailing the quid pro quo?
    As I heard it live, the first hand testimony of quid pro quo was all in relation to there being a general quid for a White House meeting without stipulating specifically that the quid was investigation into the Bidens, and that everyone understood that to be the quid from their personal assumptions given Rudy's involvement. Even Sondland said explicitly that he did not hear that quid from Trump. And Sondland added that of course there was a quid for the White House meeting, because all White House meetings come with a quid.

It is correct that this is not how it is being reported in the MSM. It is absolutely true that this has been a very bad week for Trump, but it has been nowhere near the 'smoking gun' that the GOP in the Senate will need to convict, no matter how much CNN, MSNBC and myself would like it to be. There is IMO a preponderance of circumstantial evidence that Trump's quid was the Biden investigations until the whistleblower, but that is not enough for it to stick in the Senate - yet.

Lest you accuse me of being a Trump nit, I've been and anyone but Trumper from the get go, and support his impeachment, removal from office and prosecution.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Thank you.

No I'm not conceding anything. I just think you personally attacking train drivers as being miserable is not relevant and just makes you look like an angry old person. I'm sure you're not like that at all - but I couldn't let that go unchallenged.

In Germany they have wide collective bargaining, very high union membership and the result is very reliable trains, efficient public services and good wages.

"Back to the 70s" is the most boring and oft-repeated attack I see on this site. There is not one policy from Labour that would do that, it's as ridiculous as me calling Boris Johnson a facist.
    German trains do not run time and are not efficient. My mum was shocked last year when she went there at how bad the service was.

And this, from the Guardian, of all places...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/11/why-german-trains-dont-run-on-time-any-more
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Has anyone worked out how much the Lib Dem vote would need to be squeezed in order to close the polling gap?

The average gap looks so large that it's only going to close completely through a substantial amount of direct Con to Lab switching. The Lib Dems would need to be crushed down to Green levels of support, with all those voters defecting en masse to Lab, for Lib Dem defections alone to do the trick.

I am afraid that Labour will make some further improvement, and I don't think that the Lib Dems will finish as high as 15%, but the Tory vote share is almost bound to be greater than Labour's. The question, of course, is whether or not the difference will be great enough to secure some sort of majority.

Theresa May finished 2.4% ahead in 2017 and came close enough to a working majority to be able to get across the finishing line with DUP votes. Arguably if Boris Johnson doesn't win some form of working majority (even a small one) from this position, then the 2019 result would be a bigger shock than the 2017 one.

Doesn't mean that it can't happen though.
  • Options

I've voted.

Backing Boris of course BJO !!!!!
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Novo said:

Those advocating nationalisation of the railways clearly cannot remember how bad British Rail was. Grossly unreliable and inefficient and prone to UK wide strikes paralysing the entire network.

How have the Swiss railways apparently managed to do better than us over a really long period?

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Affordable fares (unlike a £150-200 return London-Manchester)
    Extreme punctuality.

State-owned since 1902. BR was only nationalised in about 1947.
  • Options

I must say Corbyn looks a forlorn picture on the news media who are not giving him an easy time on Brexit

Jezza's looked out of sorts throughout, IMO. Very different to 2017.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    Given the Senate will not convict Trump as long as the GOP control it all hypothetical
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

If I had big pockets this is just the sort of time I'd be dropping a couple of Big Ones on a Tory Majority, in all honesty.

As it is I'm dropping in a ton or two only. I may put more in by payday, unless the odds have come down to something silly like 1.2 or less.

Query "ton"; £100 or £1000?
    Ton = £100
    Big One = £1,000
    Stick = £Million (but not sure too many punters play at that level in politics)
    Useful info, thank you. Is this city slang, betting slang, or some other thing I'm not aware of?
    Cockney rhyming slang/cityspeak/wallstreet speak.
    Thank you
  • Options

Novo said:

How have the Swiss railways apparently managed to do better than us over a really long period?

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

The majority of railways are publicly owned and run. I don't see why the British seem to think we can do it better.

Even in NI the railways are entirely publicly owned.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    MaxPB said:

I've voted.

Vote early, vote often?
    It's the Labour way.
  • Options
    It's be quite good in the current climate in the swamp to have a replacement POTUS called Grassley.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    GIN1138 said:

Evening PB - Everyone ready for another Mega Polling Saturday?

Eyes down and here we go... :D

I was born for this moment.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    edited November 2019
    I wonder if Boris's plan to ban rail strikes has something psychological about it - a way of finally exorcizing the ghost of all the humiliations he suffered at the hands of Bob Crow. If so it might come across as petty, vindictive and mean. Dangerous times for the Tories. They seem to be getting carried away with the myth of their own invincibility.
  • Options

DeClare said:

MikeL said:

Early rumours???

For village halls in very small communities, under 200 voters it is the best gig of the year - by far. They are paid according to their hire rates. But even for a large community 2000 voters most will buy out existing commitments. Having said that one community in my ward is not having polling at the usual location as it is hosting the village school's nativity play. There is some unhappiness about this as the alternative venue is considered by some less disabled friendly.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Novo said:

Whereas now we have 50 yr old Pacers and Northern Rail bleeding the tax payer dry whilst providing an even more grossly unreliable and inefficient service at a massively inflated cost.

No wonder want the railways Nationalising
  • Options

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

The majority of railways are publicly owned and run. I don't see why the British seem to think we can do it better.

You obviously have no experience of BR with its underfunded and unionised work force.

• Options
    egg said:

egg said:

Game changer.
    Are you sure? Millions over the country have been bad effected by the RMT calling the guards on strike for what for nearly everyone are ludicrous reasons ie stopping the train driver operating the doors just like they do on the same trains on different networks.

Zero love for the RMT defending their labour monopoly across the UK.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Out canvassing in Chingford this afternoon and had Momentum canvassing on the other side of the street at the same time. They even appeared when one of our canvassers was chatting with a resident and were politely told it was a Tory household. Good number of IDS window posters appearing though a few for Labour candidate Faiza Shaheen too
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    On the topic of strategy games, once I started playing Europa Universalis I lost all interest in Civ.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

Most of the British population do not believe the private sector can run the railways better than a state owned organisation.
  • Options
    Now this is interesting. "Reject identity politics". Are the tories going for a culture war?

https://mobile.twitter.com/andrealeadsom/status/1198292018302275584
  • Options
    There could be more constituency polls in the Observer.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,326

I might want someone to take on the RMT, but a serial charlatan who has promised to take on the RMT before and then not even tried, would bring no relief whatsoever.
  • Options

Novo said:

Whereas now we have 50 yr old Pacers and Northern Rail bleeding the tax payer dry whilst providing an even more grossly unreliable and inefficient service at a massively inflated cost.

No wonder want the railways Nationalising
    The trains being used are entirely down to the rules the DfT set franchises, ie the already nationalised part.
  • Options

There could be more constituency polls in the Observer.

Already confirmed Mike.

https://twitter.com/martinboon/status/1198180361571913735
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I might want someone to take on the RMT, but a serial charlatan who has promised to take on the RMT before and then not even tried, would bring no relief whatsoever.
    He also managed to get a new deal by going to the EU, begging and then dropping May's red lines.

Boris Johnson is not a good negotiator, he's weak and hopeless.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Out canvassing in Chingford this afternoon and had Momentum canvassing on the other side of the street at the same time. They even appeared when one of our canvassers was chatting with a resident and were politely told it was a Tory household. Good number of IDS window posters appearing though a few for Labour candidate Faiza Shaheen too

I haven't seen a poster, a canvasser or anything to indicate a GE either in my village or anywhere I have been in Llandudno and this is less than 3 weeks to polling
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    TudorRose said:

Thank you.

German trains do not run time and are not efficient. My mum was shocked last year when she went there at how bad the service was.

And this, from the Guardian, of all places...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/11/why-german-trains-dont-run-on-time-any-more
    I would agree, but the UK is so, so, so much worse, and costs roughly twice the price. I know as I have lots of experiencce with train travel in both countries.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Had a Labour leaflet this afternoon - I can't recall them ever bothering before - but the local Lib Dems are doing their usual "only we can beat the tories" (with "polling" or more accurately a forecast) despite coming 3rd last time.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

Most of the British population do not believe the private sector can run the railways better than a state owned organisation.
    They must be too young to remember the filthy dirty delayed 'services' that the British Railways Board used to operate between 1948-1994 what a nightmare!
  • Options

DeClare said:

MikeL said:

Early rumours???

My postal vote was delivered on Thursday and obviously returned that evening.
    Within the date range, every council’s ERO is allowed to set their own timetable. People who find out what is happening in their local area and then opine on here about PVs nationwide are spreading fake news.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

They must be too young to remember the filthy dirty delayed 'services' that the British Railways Board used to operate between 1948-1994 what a nightmare!
    I was thinking exactly the same.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

A lot of us look at the trains now and can't imagine how it could be much worse. My train has been on time twice in the last month. Twice.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

I've voted.

That was a bit premature. The Tory manifesto might be full of policies that would switch your vote.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

He also managed to get a new deal by going to the EU, begging and then dropping May's red lines.

Boris Johnson is not a good negotiator, he's weak and hopeless.
    can't wait to see Labours super new deal which they will then urge us to turn down.

• Options

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

A lot of us look at the trains now and can't imagine how it could be much worse. My train has been on time twice in the last month. Twice.
    Believe me it can and was under BR
  • Options
    RobD said:

On the topic of strategy games, once I started playing Europa Universalis I lost all interest in Civ.

Let’s wait and see how you feel when you eventually finish it.
  • Options
    I think the Lib Dems and Greens will be squeezed on Election Day .

Whatever Labour might poll before , that is a factor to add on .
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

Also, trains back before 1994 didn't cost half your income to get from A to B. Network Rail fly their staff around the UK because it saves on the ££££ of using trains. Train fares in this country are a national disgrace.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    HYUFD said:

Canvassing for IDS as a Conservative must be the equivalent of canvassing for Diane Abbott for Labour; a battle to suppress the embarrassment of association with the candidate. It is a mystery why parties do not gently consign the useless to pastures new when they start being a drain on the reputation of the party.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

HYUFD said:

I haven't seen a poster, a canvasser or anything to indicate a GE either in my village or anywhere I have been in Llandudno and this is less than 3 weeks to polling
    Unless you are in the top 50 or so target seats for the Tories, Labour or LDs you are unlikely to see much activity. In Epping Forest we had the speaker car for Eleanor Laing out this morning and were in the high street in Epping and Theydon Bois and are getting out some calling cards and the election address but that is it other than posters in our usual sites and putting out some tellers on polling day outside the polling station.

Though given Aberconwy is 21st on the Labour target list surprising not more activity there
  • Options
    DeClare said:

DeClare said:

MikeL said:

Early rumours???

They are paid, but it's not big money and I don't think they can be forced to do it, that's why councils try to use their own buildings such as schools, libraries etc.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2019

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

Can you explain what could be worse for my train than being 15 minutes late, overcrowded (with a lot of people standing), dirty (I had what looked like a shit stain on my seat the other day) and with faulty doors that don't open?
  • Options

DeClare said:

MikeL said:

Early rumours???

For village halls in very small communities, under 200 voters it is the best gig of the year - by far. They are paid according to their hire rates. But even for a large community 2000 voters most will buy out existing commitments. Having said that one community in my ward is not having polling at the usual location as it is hosting the village school's nativity play. There is some unhappiness about this as the alternative venue is considered by some less disabled friendly.
    Thanks.
  • Options

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

Probably because enough of us remember how absolutely crap they were when they were in public ownership. And we see how crap Network Rail is.
  • Options

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

Also, trains back before 1994 didn't cost half your income to get from A to B. Network Rail fly their staff around the UK because it saves on the ££££ of using trains. Train fares in this country are a national disgrace.
    If my train ticket was £100 and it was late, I wouldn't care so much. But I pay nearly £500 a month and it's been on time twice.

I get a "refund" of 3% if it's over 15 minutes late, so if it's around 10 minutes late as per normal, they keep my money and use it to fund the Hong Kong metro.

This isn't capitalism, it's an organised cartel. I as a consumer have no choice. It's absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

Can you explain what could be worse for my train than being 15 minutes late, overcrowded (with a lot of people standing), dirty (I had what looked like a shit stain on my seat the other day) and with faulty doors that don't open?
    Krusty McCluskey calling a strike because it is discriminatory that the rest of the seats do not have shit stains?
  • Options

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

You must be young - my journeys are generally on fairly new trains and they are generally clean.

When I first commuted the trains were awful

The biggest problem for delays has been that old perennial - suicide by train.

Not sure how nationalising trains and expanding the power of unions (which history shows us will lead to more delay and disruption due to strikes) would stop that.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2019

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

Probably because enough of us remember how absolutely crap they were when they were in public ownership. And we see how crap Network Rail is.
    My train is always late, dirty, incredibly crowded (good luck getting a seat) and is £500 a month. How on Earth could it be any worse?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Still tight! No room for complacency!! We might see the 10% CORBYNISTA swing later!!!
  • Options

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

My feeling is that neither privatization nor nationalization are the root of the crapness of our rail system. It's probably more to do with the confrontational style between management and unions. Blame to share on both side IMO
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    alb1on said:

HYUFD said:

Canvassing for IDS as a Conservative must be the equivalent of canvassing for Diane Abbott for Labour; a battle to suppress the embarrassment of association with the candidate. It is a mystery why parties do not gently consign the useless to pastures new when they start being a drain on the reputation of the party.
    IDS is quite a popular and hard-working local MP, saw more IDS window posters this afternoon than I have for most candidates I have canvassed for
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Unless you are in the top 50 or so target seats for the Tories, Labour or LDs you are unlikely to see much activity. In Epping Forest we had the speaker car for Eleanor Laing out this morning and were in the high street in Epping and Theydon Bois and are getting out some calling cards and the election address but that is it other than posters in our usual sites and putting out some tellers on polling day outside the polling station.
    I live in the Canterbury constituency. A questionnaire from the Tories at the start of October, and a Labour leaflet just after the election was called. A few Labour posters in Whitstable, in front windows (including a 'Remainers for Rosie'), and one for Anna Firth in a field on the edge of town. Seen no other activity.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Paradox games are so much better than the competition.

Looking forward to CK III
  • Options

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

Trains that crash and kill lots of people?
  • Options
    Floater said:

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

You must be young - my journeys are generally on fairly new trains and they are generally clean.

When I first commuted the trains were awful

The biggest problem for delays has been that old perennial - suicide by train.

Not sure how nationalising trains and expanding the power of unions (which history shows us will lead to more delay and disruption due to strikes) would stop that.
    I commute into London via SWR. My train is old, dirty, with faulty doors, incredibly overcrowded and with a cost of £500 a month. It couldn't be any worse.
  • Options
    Mr. D, yeah, I've heard lots of people rate that highly. But not for us console peasants.

*returns to watered-down gruel*
  • Options

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

If my train ticket was £100 and it was late, I wouldn't care so much. But I pay nearly £500 a month and it's been on time twice.

I get a "refund" of 3% if it's over 15 minutes late, so if it's around 10 minutes late as per normal, they keep my money and use it to fund the Hong Kong metro.

This isn't capitalism, it's an organised cartel. I as a consumer have no choice. It's absolutely ridiculous.
    "as a consumer I have no choice"

Yet you happy for Labour to nationalise whole sectors of economy.

Wonderful stuff
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Though given Aberconwy is 21st on the Labour target list surprising not more activity there
    An indictment of how our voting system ignores the majority of the country straight from the Tory’s mouth.
  • Options
    TimT said:

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

Trains that crash and kill lots of people?
    What like under the privatised Railtrack, which went bust because of it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour defending their seats mainly
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Still tight! No room for complacency!! We might see the 10% CORBYNISTA swing later!!!

Imagine if we see the tory lead growing tonight!
  • Options
    Floater said:

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

"as a consumer I have no choice"

Yet you happy for Labour to nationalise whole sectors of economy.

Wonderful stuff
    I want the trains to be publicly owned yes. Because then at least the £500 I was paying wouldn't be funding the Hong Kong metro.
  • Options
    ***BETTING POST***

For a better return on the Tories take a look at the Conservative Vote percentage market on Betfair exchange.

Given the polling over the last few weeks, and how Brexit Party voters have moved, it's very unlikely the Tory vote will now drop below 40%. This didn't happen even in GE2017 with the clusterf*ck, and the stakes for the Tories are even higher now and the narrative far better.

Right now, you can back the Tories to clock 40.00-44.99% at 2.2. If you're really nervous, you can also back 45.00-49.99% as a saver too at 6.2 giving a 1.78 return on the combo (after Betfair commission).

That seems very generous to me.

DYOR.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    nunu2 said:

Labour defending their seats mainly

You'd never know there was an election here at all - if Labour were aiming at even 250 they'd be all over my seat.
This discussion has been closed.