Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so to the first leaders’ TV debate of GE2019 – without a r

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

BORIS: Is Mr Corbyn leave or remain
    JEREMY: That's not up to me

And the grave gets dug deeper.

Rochdale being disingenuous about Corbyn.

Nothing new there then.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,385
    "Oven-ready" - I'm not a child ffs.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    RobD said:

Bloody clapping.

I know silent audiences are dumb, but I'd prefer they not be there at all since most points will get a clap, and we're stuck trying to figure out which was louder or longer.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Don't know about anyone else but I'm watching Wales v Hungary at the moment. Better entertainment value, less nerve-wracking.

I do hope Boris doesn't totally stuff that debate up, but I'm less than 100% confident...
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    The problem with JCs attack line on the US trade deal is that he's not explaining why it is a bad idea. most people in the UK actually like the US and it doesn't hurt BJ to make that the attack line.

If he attacked on chlorinated chicken he'd hit his mark much better. It's lots of these minor misses which will hurt JC
  • Options
    Vast Inanition!
  • Options
    Jezza very evasive.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Replacing Ofsted.

Not abolishing private schools, which surprises me.

Their proposals for the former are meaningless drivel. Leaving aside the fact Gove promised something similar in 2010 (I wonder how that went?) what they are proposing is either local authority control or effectively academy chain control. Both have been utterly disastrous. They are a recipe fo cronyism, incompetence and waste.

Even if their proposals on private education and charitable status are legal and practical, as I have repeatedly pointed out VAT on school fees would close most private schools. So while they have the right idea in terms of cutting class sizes to 20, the money they have put aside for it is laughably inadequate. £12 billion a year would be none too much.
    kle4 said:

Trident, new roads, airports, HS2 axed

So - just to be clear - they’re proposing zero carbon transport and proposing to eliminate the only realistic way of achieving it? They want to build lots of railway lines, just not the only one that will make a big difference?

A read through and it’s a bunch of unicorn policies put forward by a bunch of self righteous but dimwitted authoritarians. It’s like Labour’s policy offering but with a better colour scheme and less violence.
    HS2 won't make a difference.
    You think it won’t simultaneously put on far more trains to the North and free up dozens of pathways on existing lines?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    This is awful viewing already. What a pathetic level of debate.
  • Options
    Johnson waffling, Corbyn already VERY CLEAR VERY CLEAR. And talking. In Staccato. Phrases.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Christ on a bendy bus Jezza, stop being such a fucking faff-arse.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Bored with Corbyn lies over NHS
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Replacing Ofsted.

Their proposals for the former are meaningless drivel. Leaving aside the fact Gove promised something similar in 2010 (I wonder how that went?) what they are proposing is either local authority control or effectively academy chain control. Both have been utterly disastrous. They are a recipe fo cronyism, incompetence and waste.

Even if their proposals on private education and charitable status are legal and practical, as I have repeatedly pointed out VAT on school fees would close most private schools. So while they have the right idea in terms of cutting class sizes to 20, the money they have put aside for it is laughably inadequate. £12 billion a year would be none too much.
    kle4 said:

So - just to be clear - they’re proposing zero carbon transport and proposing to eliminate the only realistic way of achieving it? They want to build lots of railway lines, just not the only one that will make a big difference?

A read through and it’s a bunch of unicorn policies put forward by a bunch of self righteous but dimwitted authoritarians. It’s like Labour’s policy offering but with a better colour scheme and less violence.
    You think it won’t simultaneously put on far more trains to the North and free up dozens of pathways on existing lines?
    To where? Wales?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    @bjo is Jezza in favour of leaving or staying? He won't tell us so perhaps you can help us out.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    props? :o
  • Options

Pochettino sacked.

Gutted.
    Feel your pain, we're lucky FSG back Klopp in the transfer market.

Lose the Champions League final? Spend nearly £180 million that summer to win it the next year.

Have a struggling defence? Break the world record transfer fee for a GK and Centre back in the space of 6 months.

Levy should take note.
    No transfers for 2 transfer windows, muck up the contracts of your entire starting back 4 and key central midfielder. Pay under the market rate to the whole squad.

Take a bow Mr Levy.
    Cheer up

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1196882943001710599
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Replacing Ofsted.

kle4 said:

To where? Wales?
    Well, principally around Birmingham and London.
  • Options

Johnson waffling, Corbyn already VERY CLEAR VERY CLEAR. And talking. In Staccato. Phrases.

Johnson also now ranting. They'll be screaming at each other shortly
  • Options
    Oh dear Jezza.
  • Options
    Laughter rains down on Jezza.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    First whoopy cheer for Boris.

First laughing at Corbyn.
  • Options
    Oh Jez. Can't answer the question, getting laughed at.
  • Options
    People are actually laughing at JC on his position...
  • Options

Corbyn's tie is so red that it's almost SNP Orange. Not that he's pointing the way to the SNP...

Doesn't matter particularly, but LD yellow is closer to orange than the SNP shade.

And you do have all those lovely orange bookers to accommodate..
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Corbyn flailing.
  • Options
    uh-oh. Jezza being laughed at now.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

Pochettino sacked.

Gutted.

Lose the Champions League final? Spend nearly £180 million that summer to win it the next year.

Have a struggling defence? Break the world record transfer fee for a GK and Centre back in the space of 6 months.

Levy should take note.
    No transfers for 2 transfer windows, muck up the contracts of your entire starting back 4 and key central midfielder. Pay under the market rate to the whole squad.

Take a bow Mr Levy.
    Cheer up

Why doesn't that name surprise me.
  • Options
    Boris looking angry, genuinely so about the NHS being up for sale claim. I'm sure it's a strategy, but he was prepared for the claim at least and didn't waffle. Corbyn using props will make for a good viral clip.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

It sounds as embarrassingly awful as I was expecting.

Meanwhile that bit over there is drying nicely.
  • Options

Pochettino sacked.

Gutted.

Levy should take note.

Take a bow Mr Levy.
    Cheer up

Oh FFS. I'm off.
  • Options
    JC being laughed at is not good for him

Odd glasses as well. make him look ill.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

@bjo is Jezza in favour of leaving or staying? He won't tell us so perhaps you can help us out.

He is in favour of letting the people decide.

Rather good IMO.
  • Options
    Corbyn placing the border in the wrong place. He's getting all the details wrong.
  • Options

Which is why it's to Swinson's advantage to be excused from it. We're already getting reports across the country of people hating the choice of Johnson or Corbyn. "Do you really want to vote for that?" will be the line
  • Options
    Very low energy performance from Corbyn so far.
  • Options
    PB unanimous that Corbs is doing badly, hence the public will think he will have won a resounding victory.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

PB unanimous that Corbs is doing badly, hence the public will think he will have won a resounding victory.

Well Twitter might.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    OK, people are right, Corbyn's glasses are on wonky. Mine are often the same, poor chap.

Corbyn going softer in tone now he's on the Union, sounding regretful we are in this situation. Boris of course going hard on the SNP link - worked last time. Corbyn srong in reply, but he's talking about coalition, which is not the same thing.
  • Options

Which is why it's to Swinson's advantage to be excused from it. We're already getting reports across the country of people hating the choice of Johnson or Corbyn. "Do you really want to vote for that?" will be the line
    No.

BUT WHAT FUCKING CHOICE HAVE I GOT AS YOU LOT CHICKENED OUT?!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Boris' attack lines:

1. Tell us what you think on Brexit
    2. Lab in hock to Sturgeon and the SNP.

IMO v effective.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I've not said he's doing badly.
  • Options
    Jezza's wonky glasses is not a good look at all.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    spudgfsh said:

Because his position is laughable.
  • Options
    Trying to be fair but Corbyn looks lost and unwell
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

I mean people are laughing at Boris too.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,792
    Barnesian: sorry to be a nitpicker, but is your prediction for Yeovil correct? It's currently a LD gain by 48% to 47%, but the Tories have a 25% majority (or 15,000 votes) and it voted Leave by 59% to 41%.
  • Options
    Boris answering question on Union more important than Brexit but Corbyn evading. Will go down well in Scotland with unionist vote
  • Options
    “No deals with the SNP” says Jezza.

Boris says the Union is more important than Brexit. Jezza doesn’t confirm.

• Options
    The men aren't listening to the woman who's trying to direct the debate.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,364
    eek said:

Pochettino sacked.

Gutted.

Levy should take note.

Take a bow Mr Levy.
    Cheer up

Why doesn't that name surprise me.
    out of the frying pan into the fire....
  • Options

TOPPING said:

He is in favour of letting the people decide.

Rather good IMO.
    LOL this is your leader, right?

Leader. n. the person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    LOL Corbyn now offering Scotland £70bn bung

One seat still for LAB in Scotland
  • Options
    Corbyn re-revealing both the open goal on euref2 and the open goal on indyref2 in reply to a q about the union.

h o p e l e s s
  • Options
    Clapclapclapclapclapclap
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Perhaps Jez is following a clear strategy (there must be a first time for everything). Maybe he is going for the sympathy vote?
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

I mean people are laughing at Boris too.
    However, they have been laughing at him continuously since 1996, and it doesn’t seem to hurt him.

Corbyn on the other hand comes across as rather pompous. Not much of a sense of humour. Or at least, if he has one he doesn’t use it well.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Unlike 2015, I wonder if people think a Labour/SNP government is actually a remote prospect at this point though.
  • Options
    Corbyn is doing better than I expected.
  • Options
    Apple is awesome.

Android is shite.

Until recently, weaknesses in Android camera apps from Google and Samsung made it possible for rogue apps to record video and audio and take images and then upload them to an attacker-controlled server—without any permissions to do so. Camera apps from other manufacturers may still be susceptible.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/11/google-samsung-fix-android-spying-flaw-other-makers-may-still-be-vulnerable/
  • Options
    The audience's sporadic clapping is getting annoying.
  • Options

Come again?
  • Options
    That was a good comeback from Corbyn :p
  • Options
    Here's hoping for a hilariously left field instant reaction poll after this debate.
  • Options

How bad were your expectations?
  • Options
    RobD said:

That was a good comeback from Corbyn :p

Yes I’ll give him that one.
  • Options
    Johnsons attacking Corbyn for not answering the question, I think it'll start to stick regardless of the lines aimed at his supporters
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Johnson completely lying about the Irish Sea border. Can he be nailed on it?

(No)
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Johnsons attacking Corbyn for not answering the question, I think it'll start to stick regardless of the lines aimed at his supporters

What?

How evasive do you have to be before even fecking Johnson can pull that one off?
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Come again?
    She's trying to get them to answer questions, or allow the other to answer a question and they're ignoring her.
  • Options
    Thoughts so far?

I think Johnson started off well but he's going into bully mode
  • Options
    Corbyn getting reamed. Hoping they can get Johnson ranting waffling and mad again with arms flailing again
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Johnson lies without his nose growing, very clever!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

I've not said he's doing badly.
    Nor have I because I am watching Holby

#JacNaylorincrisis
  • Options
    Trust and leadership up next. This could get brutal.

But it is a stupid question - lots of people are not in despair, and do trust Boris/Corbyn.
  • Options
    A brilliant questioner
  • Options

Thoughts so far?

I don't know what that even means. What is being a bully in the context of a debate?
  • Options
    Why does the invigilator keep interrupting Boris ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

But it is a stupid question - lots of people are not in despair, and do trust Boris/Corbyn.

That thought is enough to make the rest of us despair further though.
  • Options
    Flashy4 said:

Why does the invigilator keep interrupting Boris ?

He's overrunning his time slot.
  • Options

Corbyn getting reamed. Hoping they can get Johnson ranting waffling and mad again with arms flailing again

Johnson has been very good at staying on message during this debate so far.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Betfair completely static.
  • Options
    Johnson clear and getting his points across.

Corbyn fence sitting has ran its course.
  • Options
    Flashy4 said:

Shome mishtake, Shirl?

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/1196859937021943810?s=20
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    kle4 said:

Plus it's our political system. One way or another we voted for this.
  • Options

Thoughts so far?

Are you MysticRose?
  • Options

Drutt said:

Come again?
    She's trying to get them to answer questions, or allow the other to answer a question and they're ignoring her.
    A pair of misogynists behaving rudely towards a woman?

I’m shocked, I tell you. Shocked.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Indeed, but it is dumb to act like everyone is despairing of them. Corbyn giving a better response about trust and leadership. Focusing on listening and consensus. It's not borne out by his leadership, but he looked good saying it.
  • Options

Flashy4 said:

Shome mishtake, Shirl?

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/1196859937021943810?s=20
    You lost me at the Beano/National
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

It should never have been a two way debate a disgrace to democracy
  • Options
    1-1 on the laughs.
  • Options
    Bring people together not divide them is a good sounding line, but not what either are doing.

Boris now laughed at, bad look. Points to Corbyn on this one, he is able to look more reasonable.
  • Options
    Flashy4Flashy4 Posts: 26
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

Drutt said:

Come again?
    A pair of misogynists behaving rudely towards a woman?

I’m shocked, I tell you. Shocked.
    She’s being pretty rude back. Now she’s on a monologue- shut up FFS.
  • Options

wow! how badly do you think he'd do?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Round 1 Johnson, Round 2 Corbyn. Until the antisemitism stuff (although the immediate laugh from the audience seemed forced)
  • Options
    I think Corbyn edges it on integrity. He sticks to his beliefs. What those beliefs are might not be to anyone's tastes, nor have they been tested by the responsibility of power, but he must win on integrity vs Johnson of all people.
  • Options
    Lets be honest. Corbyn is not going to lose any votes here. He can only gain them.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,364

Apple is awesome.

Android is shite.

Until recently, weaknesses in Android camera apps from Google and Samsung made it possible for rogue apps to record video and audio and take images and then upload them to an attacker-controlled server—without any permissions to do so. Camera apps from other manufacturers may still be susceptible.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/11/google-samsung-fix-android-spying-flaw-other-makers-may-still-be-vulnerable/

Andriod is not shite, its great, no one wants to steal my pictures.. far too boring.
  • Options
    First mention of Lab Antisemitism gets a little applause.

Get him Boris. Get him.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

It should never have been a two way debate a disgrace to democracy
    Parties in single figures % wise are not relevant to who is PM on 13.12.19
  • Options
    I expect nobody will bother watching any more of these debates

Depressing
This discussion has been closed.