Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The number of Tory MPs elected on December 12th will determine

Comments

• Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

I suspect that in the event Boris achieves a good majority the EU will have until the mid summer to formulate a FTA or Boris will walk us out on WTO

At the same time free ports and 12% corporation tax will arrrive and billions in investment opportunities in RD and other advanced techology will be put on the table

Indeed the EU's worst nightmare of a Singapore off Europe must seem a very real possibility if the EU do not react with a quick FTA

Johnson’s majority makes no difference to the future relationship with the EU it is already defined, it will be significantly worse than our current arrangement but be heralded as a dramatic victory by our pathological liar and amoral PM. Then life can progress but by 31/6 next year is really stretch the bounds of possibility. Don’t forget the extension has to be requested by that date or in the words of Noel Edmonds it’s deal or no deal
    And that is why I maintain no deal is a very strong possibility
    So why are you voting for the possibility that it happens? Corbyn is not going to win
    I will not even chance it
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856

We have no idea how that would work out and I have only put it in there to alert posters that no deal has not gone away post a 31st January majority conservative government

Yes, absolutely.

Many have warned that Johnson (perhaps as part of the pact with Farage) will play along with trade negotiations next year and then leave at the end of 2020 without a Deal to WTO rules thereby allowing him the "luxury" of this hard-headed nonsense.

Back in the summer you were vehemently opposed to No Deal (as were many Conservatives back then) but you all seem to have fallen hook, line and sinker for the Johnson/Cummings nonsense.

If he gets a big majority, do you think Johnson will listen to anyone? His sheep in the Commons will do as they are told and if that means leaving without a trade deal this time next year so be it.

When of course anyone tries to argue this the Conservative response is usually to wibble on about Corbyn, Venezuela and Marxism rather than to address the point.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,263

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I am not sure too much should be read into loads of 18-25 year old registering. All unis try and auto register every one of their students (unless they opted on when they signed-up for the academic year), even if they are already registered.
    Wut?

Didn't happen with me
    It is the standard practice now. Perhaps all unis might not be correct, for most of them definitely do.
    Was the standard practice in Aberystwyth 18 years ago as well.
    Unis for as long as I can remember used to register people living in halls, but now standard practice seems to be just do everybody.
    I don't think they can register people not living in their accommodation. Would that even be legal?

But everyone in PJM, the halls on Penglais, the seafront halls, Bryn Derw and Ty Gwerin were automatically enrolled.
    They definitely do (at least at a load of unis I am aware of). Its on the registration form where the kids agree for the uni to register their details with the council for both council tax purposes and for voting registration.
    I'm struggling to see how that's possible under individual registration. I can't understand how they could just hand over an address they don't own to the council.
    With students’ consent, the service collects essential information from the university (such as date of birth and full name) and the student (National Insurance number) and automatically transfers it to the relevant, participating electoral registrars at local authorities, reducing the effort and expense it would take for universities and colleges to work with multiple electoral registrars across the UK.

https://www.jisc.ac.uk/news/student-voter-registration-service-gains-its-1000th-sign-up-01-oct-2019
    Wow. What a bizarre system. What was the DfE smoking when they came up with this?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

ydoethur said:

But the point is, if it's a policy with disastrous, unintended side effects that ends up making matters far worse, it is still a nutty policy. It doesn't matter if it's 'radical' or not from that point of view.

For example, would cancelling HS2 be radical? Of course not. Quite the opposite. It's the safe option, financially and politically, for the government. But it would also make the current total logjam on the WCML insoluble.

It's not about whether something is ideologically sound. Policies can be that, and still be good. It's about whether they will work or whether they're bribe's to sucker in idiots.

At the moment, Corbyn's entire policy offering however he dresses it up is pretty much the latter.

I think the public perception of Corbyn's policies is probably mostly positive. Even if like you say, the impacts will not be.

I happen to think HS2 is probably a good idea - but I've have started in the North first.
    You really are ramping Corbyn but fail to see he is not trusted to implement his policies without destroying the financial stability of the country and annihilating pension values for the vast majority of ordinary workers. He is seeking to change us into a marxist state alongside anti west, anti nato, anti army, pro Russia policies
    If you remove the army bit you could be talking about Johnson or Trump. Awful man though Corbyn undoubtedly is, you are simply regurgitating Boris' gaslighting strategy.
    There are so many reasonable criticisms of Corbyn but quite frankly I switch off when I hear he's a Marxist Communist spy who is simultaenously so fucking useless he can't take a view on anything.

Milliband was apparently a Communist, I'm sure Brown was called a Communist as well.

It just gets tiring after a while - and quite frankly the Tories have been doing their best to screw up the country over the last 9 years.
    Until Johnson publishes the Report on Russian involvement in UK elections he has no business calling anyone else pro-Russian. I find it fascinating that Johnson gets clean away with partying in Italy with former KGB operatives whilst Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    spudgfsh said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

I struggle to understand how the Con lead over every other party increases, and yet their total seat number drops.
    I struggle understand how to there are only 7 non-SNP seats in Scotland but the SNP only have 51.
    There are 8 non-SNP seats on the map. 2 tories on the borders plus aberdeen. 4 LD (Orkney/Shetland, the bit at the top, 1 near glasgow and one near edinbrough) plus a labour one
    I can't add up. I got all those figure individually but made them make 7 not 8.

That said, the Spectrum of possibilities where Con retain Aberdeen South but lose all but their bankers in the borders must be very, very slim.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

But the point is, if it's a policy with disastrous, unintended side effects that ends up making matters far worse, it is still a nutty policy. It doesn't matter if it's 'radical' or not from that point of view.

For example, would cancelling HS2 be radical? Of course not. Quite the opposite. It's the safe option, financially and politically, for the government. But it would also make the current total logjam on the WCML insoluble.

It's not about whether something is ideologically sound. Policies can be that, and still be good. It's about whether they will work or whether they're bribe's to sucker in idiots.

At the moment, Corbyn's entire policy offering however he dresses it up is pretty much the latter.

I think the public perception of Corbyn's policies is probably mostly positive. Even if like you say, the impacts will not be.

I happen to think HS2 is probably a good idea - but I've have started in the North first.
    You really are ramping Corbyn but fail to see he is not trusted to implement his policies without destroying the financial stability of the country and annihilating pension values for the vast majority of ordinary workers. He is seeking to change us into a marxist state alongside anti west, anti nato, anti army, pro Russia policies
    If you remove the army bit you could be talking about Johnson or Trump. Awful man though Corbyn undoubtedly is, you are simply regurgitating Boris' gaslighting strategy.
    There are so many reasonable criticisms of Corbyn but quite frankly I switch off when I hear he's a Marxist Communist spy who is simultaenously so fucking useless he can't take a view on anything.

Milliband was apparently a Communist, I'm sure Brown was called a Communist as well.

It just gets tiring after a while - and quite frankly the Tories have been doing their best to screw up the country over the last 9 years.
    Until Johnson publishes the Report on Russian involvement in UK elections he has no business calling anyone else pro-Russian. I find it fascinating that Johnson gets clean away with partying in Italy with former KGB operatives whilst Foreign Secretary.
    He was present, but he wasn't involved. He was banging some CIA chick on the other sofa when they were around.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661

ydoethur said:

I am not sure too much should be read into loads of 18-25 year old registering. All unis try and auto register every one of their students (unless they opted on when they signed-up for the academic year), even if they are already registered.
    Wut?

Didn't happen with me
    It is the standard practice now. Perhaps all unis might not be correct, for most of them definitely do.
    Was the standard practice in Aberystwyth 18 years ago as well.
    Unis for as long as I can remember used to register people living in halls, but now standard practice seems to be just do everybody.
    I tried to vote in a local election while at university in about 1999 and was told my name wasn't on the register. I'd assumed it would be for some reason.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He was present, but he wasn't involved. He was banging some CIA chick on the other sofa when they were around.
    You joke but Johnson will literally get away with anything whilst we have a corrupt press that is bought by Tory Party donors.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Johnson is a deeply, deeply dodgy man.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think Johnson is anything in particular. He did, after all, write two impassioned articles - one in favour of staying and one in favour of leaving.

I don't know why people think this proves so much. It is good practice to set out the pros and cons of each side of a big decision on paper, regardless of how strongly you feel to one side or the other. I would advocate it in business and personal life. It is actually one of the few things that made me think better of Boris's seriousness, even though he came to the wrong conclusion. If only he was that thoughtful in all the rest of his decisions.
    It was not so much the writing of the articles as the suggestion he might easily have chosen the other one
    Many individual voters were split 52/48 in their minds, just as the aggregate was. That's why a significant number of Remainers (not the die-hard variety) will vote for Johnson to keep Corbyn out. They (we) may have voted Remain on the day but they won't gamble their impaired prosperity in the hope of revocation, if the downside is Venezuela.
    Why do you see this as a binary choice
    . Corbyn is going to lose and lose badly, worse than 83. So people are free to vote how they want. There is no way labour will win.
    Corbyn is going to lose badly because many Remainers will cut their losses and vote Tory. What's the point in thinking "Corbyn can't win this one, but if I vote LD we might just get a hung parliament and then we can carry on with this crippling indecision."
    Corbyn is going to lose. Every body else can vote for who they want and so what I’d rather have both of the sidelined and years of stable crippling indecision than either with a majority, you are just using the fear of labour to advance the prospects of a liar and hypocrite.
    My ancestors fought and died for thousands of years to bequeath me the vote. I'm not going to besmirch their memory by refusing to exercise it just because political parties are, almost without exception, led by liars and hypocrites.

To be more serious, I'm probably going to vote Tory because decisive government with a working majority is, all things being equal, marginally better than anything else on offer.
    It honestly isn’t it won’t solve anything other than brexit which will bring more problems than it solves. They have thrown good economic management out of the window and have the worst of the nasty party on cabinet. Corbyn is marginally worse but it is not a binary choice, vote for a brake on idiotic majority government.
  • Options
    stodge said:

We have no idea how that would work out and I have only put it in there to alert posters that no deal has not gone away post a 31st January majority conservative government

Yes, absolutely.

Many have warned that Johnson (perhaps as part of the pact with Farage) will play along with trade negotiations next year and then leave at the end of 2020 without a Deal to WTO rules thereby allowing him the "luxury" of this hard-headed nonsense.

Back in the summer you were vehemently opposed to No Deal (as were many Conservatives back then) but you all seem to have fallen hook, line and sinker for the Johnson/Cummings nonsense.

If he gets a big majority, do you think Johnson will listen to anyone? His sheep in the Commons will do as they are told and if that means leaving without a trade deal this time next year so be it.

When of course anyone tries to argue this the Conservative response is usually to wibble on about Corbyn, Venezuela and Marxism rather than to address the point.

The problem lies in your last paragraph. Corbyn's policies are Venezeulan in concept and hence why I will vote for Boris as defeating Corbyn is far more important to me than Brexit
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

You realongside anti west, anti nato, anti army, pro Russia policies

You joke but Johnson will literally get away with anything whilst we have a corrupt press that is bought by Tory Party donors.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Johnson is a deeply, deeply dodgy man.
    That corrupt press will include the Mirror, Morning Star, Grainuad, Observer, i,
    , Evening Standard and Independent then?

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Just watched several episodes of The Crown series 3.

Episode 3, about Aberfan, is a remarkable piece of film-making. Extraordinarily powerful.

(The portrayal of Harold Wilson is very fine.)
  • Options
    edited November 2019

ydoethur said:

I was not joking. I was making an entirely serious point. The issue is not that Johnson is not a 'deeply, deeply dodgy man,' because he clearly is. The issue is that Corbyn is far worse. Which is both some achievement and deeply alarming.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Cheers Pulpstar, a very interesting piece.

In hindsight, it seems like every election (at least in recent times) has one overriding, usually not stated, theme that determines the results.

In 2005, it was that the people wanted to send Tony Blair a message they were becoming dissatisfied but to keep him in power = reduced majority;

In 2010, people didn't like Brown and were tired of Labour but didn't trust the Conservatives nor David Cameron enough to give them a majority = hung Parliament

In 2015, it was that David Cameron had done just enough to earn people's trust but - more importantly - they didn't see Ed Milliband as PM material = Tory majority

In 2017, it was that people didn't want Theresa May to have a majority given the more they saw (or didn't) of her, the more they distrusted her = hung Parliament.

What is the theme for this election? Brexit is the obvious one but, actually, I think the key theme running through this is "Do you want Corbyn as PM?" If that is right, then do not expect many LD gains in Tory surburbia (as Tory remainers fear for their wealth under a Corbyn government) and, more to the point, expect a Tory landslide as fear of Corbyn proves the motivating factor of this election.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,756
    edited November 2019
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think Johnson is anything in particular. He did, after all, write two impassioned articles - one in favour of staying and one in favour of leaving.

I don't know
    It was not so much
    Many individual voters were split 52/48 in their minds, just as the aggregate was. That's why a significant number of Remainers (not the die-hard variety) will vote for Johnson to keep Corbyn out. They (we) may have voted Remain on the day but they won't gamble their impaired prosperity in the hope of revocation, if the downside is Venezuela.
    . Corbyn is going to lose and lose badly, worse than 83. So people are free to vote how they want. There is no way labour will win.
    Corbyn is going to lose badly because many Remainers will cut their losses and vote Tory. What's the point in thinking "Corbyn can't win this one, but if I vote LD we might just get a hung parliament and then we can carry on with this crippling indecision."
    Corbyn is going to lose. Every body else can vote for who they want and so what I’d rather have both of the sidelined and years of stable crippling indecision than either with a majority, you are just using the fear of labour to advance the prospects of a liar and hypocrite.
    My ancestors fought and died for thousands of years to bequeath me the vote. I'm not going to besmirch their memory by refusing to exercise it just because political parties are, almost without exception, led by liars and hypocrites.

To be more serious, I'm probably going to vote Tory because decisive government with a working majority is, all things being equal, marginally better than anything else on offer.
    It honestly isn’t it won’t solve anything other than brexit which will bring more problems than it solves. They have thrown good economic management out of the window and have the worst of the nasty party on cabinet. Corbyn is marginally worse but it is not a binary choice, vote for a brake on idiotic majority government.
    We dodged a bullet in 2010 because it was possible to cobble a coalition together which was, in my opinion, a very good government. But the LDs have made it clear (and why wouldn't they?) that this will not happen again.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856

The problem lies in your last paragraph. Corbyn's policies are Venezeulan in concept and hence why I will vote for Boris as defeating Corbyn is far more important to me than Brexit

While I acknowledge the disaster Corbyn would be to the economy and the country, that does not, in my view, condone handing a large majority and effectively untrammelled power to Boris Johnson for five years.

If the only two reasons for voting Conservative are a) getting Brexit done and b) stopping Corbyn, these can be accomplished in a year.

What then? I have very little confidence in Johnson and those surrounding him and I very much doubt they will make this country a better place for the vast majority in which to live.

My hope is IF Boris gets his majority, by 2024 there will be a credible viable alternative Government on offer so we can send him and his ideas packing.

I look forward to you joining me in supporting that credible alternative.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Well they were enthused last time. But only when the manifesto came out.

So we will see what happens this time.

I predict Labour will pledge to wipe out all student debt.

How will they pay for it?

Will it only be student loan debt, or all student debt?

Will it include maintenance loans, or only tuition fees?

How far back will it go? Does mine from 20-odd years ago get wiped as well?

Will those who have paid it off, or part paid it off, get their payments refunded?

I think you're right, it's what they'll say.

But unless they can answer those questions, you should not assume it is what they'll do. All they will be looking for is a cheap(!) headline, not getting to grips with the appalling mess that is HE funding.

What we really need is a proper inquiry into academic and student funding, not led by a disgraced former oil exec and self-confessed perjurer, that comes up with a proper and sustainable system. The odds of this happening especially given the current distraction therapy of Brexit and the chaos of the current government are remote. As they are on transport, power generation, broadband...
    I am a big fan of just having an extra 0.5% on income tax for graduates, or whatever level meets the requirement for university funding.
    We should abolish fees for people doing degrees which benefit the country and humanity.

So those who read the medicines, STEM, history, and law don't have to pay a fee.
    You can qualify as a lawyer without law as your first degree though........
  • Options
    stodge said:

While I acknowledge the disaster Corbyn would be to the economy and the country, that does not, in my view, condone handing a large majority and effectively untrammelled power to Boris Johnson for five years.

If the only two reasons for voting Conservative are a) getting Brexit done and b) stopping Corbyn, these can be accomplished in a year.

What then? I have very little confidence in Johnson and those surrounding him and I very much doubt they will make this country a better place for the vast majority in which to live.

My hope is IF Boris gets his majority, by 2024 there will be a credible viable alternative Government on offer so we can send him and his ideas packing.

At times I thought I was on my own in my view that both alternatives of corbyn and Johnson were unacceptable.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

How could someone running in such a high profile race, where race will be a factor, be so careless?
    Endorsements from Obama's country of birth......?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    nunu2 said:
    Weighting in polls is done all the time. The unweighted figures are a load of garbage given sampling effects.
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't know
    It was not so much

We dodged a bullet in 2010 because it was possible to cobble a coalition together which was, in my opinion, a very good government. But the LDs have made it clear (and why wouldn't they?) that this will not happen again.
    Let the largest party govern with a minority they can’t do any harm, you actually don’t need a majority government just a functioning civil service.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,308
    nichomar said:

stodge said:

At times I thought I was on my own in my view that both alternatives of corbyn and Johnson were unacceptable.
    There's always Jo Swinson...
  • Options
    RobD said:

nunu2 said:
    Weighting in polls is done all the time. The unweighted figures are a load of garbage given sampling effects.
    But upweighting one party by 47%?
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Will those who have paid it off, or part paid it off, get their payments refunded?

But unless they can answer those questions, you should not assume it is what they'll do. All they will be looking for is a cheap(!) headline, not getting to grips with the appalling mess that is HE funding.

What we really need is a proper inquiry into academic and student funding, not led by a disgraced former oil exec and self-confessed perjurer, that comes up with a proper and sustainable system. The odds of this happening especially given the current distraction therapy of Brexit and the chaos of the current government are remote. As they are on transport, power generation, broadband...
    I am a big fan of just having an extra 0.5% on income tax for graduates, or whatever level meets the requirement for university funding.
    We should abolish fees for people doing degrees which benefit the country and humanity.

So those who read the medicines, STEM, history, and law don't have to pay a fee.
    You can qualify as a lawyer without law as your first degree though........
    Indeed.

But a law based degree sets you up for life with the skills you learn.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Don't forget he never had intimate relations with Ms. Arcuri, which is why it was fine that she got a four figure handout from the Mayor's Fund. I think, if Boris simply forgets something has happened we can take his word for it and move on.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Don't forget he never had intimate relations with Ms. Arcuri, which is why it was fine that she got a four figure handout from the Mayor's Fund. I think, if Boris simply forgets something has happened we can take his word for it and move on.
    Worked for Corbyn.
  • Options

Episode 3, about Aberfan, is a remarkable piece of film-making. Extraordinarily powerful.

Aberfan is as raw to us today as it was on the 21st October 1966. Just 8 days later on the 29th October our eldest son was born here in North Wales and the emotions were highly charged. The mass burials of 81 of the children had taken place on the 27th October and the Queen and Prince Philip visited Aberfan on the day he was born
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

RobD said:

nunu2 said:
    But upweighting one party by 47%?
    Not sure how common that magnitude is, but I don't think any company uses raw numbers like that person on twitter wants them to do.
  • Options
    Re Deltapoll, do you have the figures to hand for turnout by age group?

I wonder if their results are similarly weighted to Kantar's.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That corrupt press will include the Mirror, Morning Star, Grainuad, Observer, i,

Come on mirror yes marginally popular Morning Star don’t be silly the rest unfortunately not read by anybody who wants their convictions challenged, when did the morning star have ant influence?
  • Options
    BluerBlueBluerBlue Posts: 521
    edited November 2019
    nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Come on mirror yes marginally popular Morning Star don’t be silly the rest unfortunately not read by anybody who wants their convictions challenged, when did the morning star have ant influence?

Well, my college JCR always carried a copy...
  • Options
    stodge said:

The problem is you cannot control a majority, you can only vote positively to stop Corbyn

I think Boris may actually follow quite a liberal programme but how I will vote in 5 years time I could not say, and at my age I may not be involved !!!!
  • Options
    Well I think we have the reasons for the massive disparity in leads then, it's almost entirely down to turnout.

Somebody is going to end up with major egg on their face
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

nichomar said:

stodge said:

There's always Jo Swinson...
    No problem then you have found a solution
  • Options
    nichomar said:

stodge said:

And I thought you read every word of my posts :disappointed:
  • Options

Well I think we have the reasons for the massive disparity in leads then, it's almost entirely down to turnout.

How'd you arrive at that conclusion without getting the turnout figures for the poll?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 708
    NeilVW said:

nunu2 said:

Tories have a bigger lead in the seats with less than 10,000 vote majority

https://mobile.twitter.com/anthonyjwells/status/1196036222327672832

That 17% yougov lead has few crumbs of comfort for Remain

Do you know what the Tory lead was in those marginals at the last general election?

You might expect it to be close to zero, but it depends on things like differential turnout, any skew in the distribution of marginal seats and third-party effects.
    I asked that very question of Mr Wells, and will report back his answer. If he doesn’t have it to hand, I’ll have to crank up the spreadsheet and estimate it myself.

10,000-seat majority and under for any party is quite a wide spread of seats - about a 20-point lead assuming average turnout?
    Going back to this, I worked out that there are 283 seats in GB with a 2017 majority of under 10,000 (“marginals” for these purposes). The average Con lead over Lab in the 283 was 2.0 points. YouGov found a 20-point lead, suggesting a 9% swing in marginals (compared with about 7% overall). Among those certain to vote in these marginals, they found a 26% lead (a swing of 12%).

For the record, the 283 seats are made up as follows:

- 127 won by Con in 2017
    - 105 Lab
    - 12 LD
    - 4 PC
    - 35 SNP
  • Options
    BluerBlueBluerBlue Posts: 521
    edited November 2019

Which age group can you rely upon to either get their postal vote sorted in plenty of time or make it to the polling station in the depths of winter?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    nunu2 said:
    It sounds like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, and is criticising the polls because they don't like what they're showing at present.
  • Options
    RobD said:

How'd you arrive at that conclusion without getting the turnout figures for the poll?
    RobD said:

He's a Labour ramper.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169

Only saw episode 1. Olivia Coleman is a great actress but didn't convince me as EIIR. Wilson good, yes, but Blunt not much of a likeness. However the period is really well captured.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

stodge said:

And I thought you read every word of my posts :disappointed:
    To the point that I know you are seriously upset that you can’t vote for who you want because of the unite alliance, yes but I’m a sad pensioner with little else to do!
  • Options
    ArthurArthur Posts: 63

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Medicine and law should be taught alongside motorcycle maintenance at specialised trade schools. They aren't academic subjects. Academia should be for those who love learning. There's a big difference between work training and academic study.

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited November 2019
    For all the headline numbers, one thing seems really static: Corbyn's approval numbers. He's stuck around net -42/-43, and it's not shifting at all.

That would suggest an general election gap in the 12/13% ballpark, which is what poll aggregates seem to be trending towards.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

He's a Labour ramper.
    Yup bought and paid for by Jeremy Corbyn himself.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Only saw episode 1. Olivia Coleman is a great actress but didn't convince me as EIIR. Wilson good, yes, but Blunt not much of a likeness. However the period is really well captured.
    Jason Watkins is really exceptional as Wilson, brilliant casting. The Aberfan episode is incredible, a tough watch but superb.

I'm at the point where Dickie Mountbatten (Charles Dance) is involved in the plot against Wilson, and it is just astonishingly well acted.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

For all the headline numbers, one thing seems really static: Corbyn's approval numbers. He's stuck around net -42/-43, and it's not shifting at all.

That's a really important spot, thanks. I don't suppose you checked if Boris' were fluctuating at the same time? Yes, I'm lazy :wink:
  • Options
    Regarding Deltapoll, I thought I posted the data tables this morning.

Here you go again.

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Deltapoll-MoS191116.pdf
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

He's a Labour ramper.
    I doubt he's that clever.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

He's a Labour ramper.
    Nah he gets the Russians to do it.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Andrew said:

That's a really important spot, thanks. I don't suppose you checked if Boris' were fluctuating at the same time? Yes, I'm lazy :wink:
    Yes they went briefly negative and now he's back up to positive again.
  • Options

Here you go again.

As far as I can tell they don't have turnout figures listed.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

He's a Labour ramper.
    Russians? They're capitalist now - didn't you know?
  • Options
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

He's a Labour ramper.
    Probably the same Russians he wanted to send the Novichok sample to for them to check...
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

He's a Labour ramper.
    Russians? They're capitalist now - didn't you know?
    Is that right?

I'll let Corbyn know, thanks for your feedback
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Let the largest party govern with a minority they can’t do any harm, you actually don’t need a majority government just a functioning civil service.
    All too often a government has to take unpopular decisions. The CS won't do it for them. Minority government is just a recipe for temporisation. We're already suffering from this on multiple fronts.
  • Options
    Arthur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Medicine and law should be taught alongside motorcycle maintenance at specialised trade schools. They aren't academic subjects. Academia should be for those who love learning. There's a big difference between work training and academic study.

Well that is a very interesting theory! I suspect you may be in a minority on this but I suggest you consider that until you understand the basics you can’t push back the boundary’s of science and without that we would be in a Johnson Greek classical dark age arguing if the earth was flat and if the sun moved round the earth.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Here you go again.

Thought they weighted based on reported likelihood to vote - which is in there? V002?
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

All too often a government has to take unpopular decisions. The CS won't do it for them. Minority government is just a recipe for temporisation. We're already suffering from this on multiple fronts.
    It’s been quite stable in Spain apart from Catalonia with no majority for four years.
  • Options

RobD said:

Here you go again.

Thought they weighted based on reported likelihood to vote - which is in there? V002?
    You are talking about the Deltapoll PDF?
  • Options
    Both words legally meaningless, so why fuss about it :p
  • Options
    The eco-fascists will be chaining themselves to Jezza fence again.
  • Options
    Arthur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

I am not sure an NVQ level 4 in brain surgery really works. Observational assessment whilst the candidate demonstrates competence, or lack of it, in a real workplace learning situation may have a drawback or two.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Arthur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Iebt.

Buding.

Whation therapy of Brexit and the chaos of the current government are remote. As they are on transport, power generation, broadband...

Medicin learning. There's a big difference between work training and academic study.

We of science and without that we would be in a Johnson Greek classical dark age arguing if the earth was flat and if the sun moved round the earth.
    nichomar said:

Arthur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Willg.

Whaos of the current government are remote. As they are on transport, power generation, broadband...

Medicine and law should be taught alongside motorcycle maintenance at spetraining and academic study.

Well that is a very interesting theory! I suspect you may be in a minority on this but I suggest you consider that until you understand the basics you can’t push back the boundary’s of science and without that we would be in a Johnson Greek classical dark age arguing if the earth was flat and if the sun moved round the earth.
    Of course the Greeks calculated the Earth was in fact round.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/ancient-greeks-proved-earth-round-eratosthenes-alexandria-syene-summer-solstice-a8131376.html
  • Options

Aberfan is as raw to us today as it was on the 21st October 1966. Just 8 days later on the 29th October our eldest son was born here in North Wales and the emotions were highly charged. The mass burials of 81 of the children had taken place on the 27th October and the Queen and Prince Philip visited Aberfan on the day he was born
    Might be an especially tough watch for you then.

That line of children's coffins extending forever is as visceral as it gets.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Here you go again.

I am yes.
  • Options

nichomar said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/ancient-greeks-proved-earth-round-eratosthenes-alexandria-syene-summer-solstice-a8131376.html
    Nobody believed the earth was flat. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Everyone knew it was spherical, if only from observation of the horizon. Aquinas based whole theories on this.

The flat earth myth was invented by Washington Irving in his biography of Columbus as an anti-Catholic polemic, and unfortunately the popular success of this work of mostly fiction means it has stuck.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    This week is going to be crucial. If that lead extends further, Labour is in trouble
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

nunu2 said:
    It sounds like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, and is criticising the polls because they don't like what they're showing at present.
    I think however we should remember in 2017 the unweighted samples were far closer to the result than the ones that went through weighting. That may of course have been a coincidence, or it may be pollsters are overthinking their past failures.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

nichomar said:

Arthur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Iebt.

Buding.

Whation therapy of Brexit and the chaos of the current government are remote. As they are on transport, power generation, broadband...

Medicin learning. There's a big difference between work training and academic study.

We of science and without that we would be in a Johnson Greek classical dark age arguing if the earth was flat and if the sun moved round the earth.
    nichomar said:

Arthur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Medicine and law should be taught alongside motorcycle maintenance at spetraining and academic study.

Took a while to catch on though I just thought that medicine and motor cycle maintenance was an odd comparison. In reality of course routine diagnosis of both will be solved by good AI the problem comes when we can’t make the next leap forward
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Here you go again.

I am yes.
    What page are they listed on? I think I went through every page and didn't see a question on likelihood to vote. V002 is the tab in the excel document containing turnout figures for Opinium, however.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    You can get rough feel for Deltapoll turnout from weighted numbers.

18 to 24s (8 year cohort) - 175 people
    55 to 64s (10 year cohort) - 234 people

So assumed turnout in 18 to 24s is a bit lower than 55 to 64s but not substantially lower.

Numbers look very reasonable to me.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Nobody believed the earth was flat. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Everyone knew it was spherical, if only from observation of the horizon. Aquinas based whole theories on this.

The flat earth myth was invented by Washington Irving in his biography of Columbus as an anti-Catholic polemic, and unfortunately the popular success of this work of mostly fiction means it has stuck.
    That's actually really interesting - thanks. :smiley:
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Here you go again.

I am yes.
    What page are they listed on? I think I went through every page and didn't see a question on likelihood to vote. V002 is the tab in the excel document containing turnout figures for Opinium, however.
    I'm so sorry, I'm looking at completely the wrong pollster. I did have Opinium open and I've just checked again - you're quite right.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Here you go again.

I am yes.
    I'm so sorry, I'm looking at completely the wrong pollster. I did have Opinium open and I've just checked again - you're quite right.
    Up to our ears in polls these days.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    This week is going to be crucial. If that lead extends further, Labour is in trouble
    Brexit still on a very high 8 though - that Tory lead is going to extend even if Labour have a campaigning week on par with the Tories.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Here you go again.

I am yes.
    And yet you're never satisfied.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

nunu2 said:
    I think however we should remember in 2017 the unweighted samples were far closer to the result than the ones that went through weighting. That may of course have been a coincidence, or it may be pollsters are overthinking their past failures.
    The polls have almost always been very accurate, including with the Conservative share in 2017. The only mistake they've made recently was slightly underestimating Labour in 2017 by around 4%, which was not good but not terrible either. There may have been a last-minute surge to Labour in 2017 which by definition would have been very difficult to capture, similar to the Conservatives in 1992.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Andy_JS said:
    Indeed, right now it's all going well - got the Tories right where they want them, but can't let this position slip.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    edited November 2019
    nichomar said:

I suspect that in the event Boris achieves a good majority the EU will have until the mid summer to formulate a FTA or Boris will walk us out on WTO

At the same time free ports and 12% corporation tax will arrrive and billions in investment opportunities in RD and other advanced techology will be put on the table

Indeed the EU's worst nightmare of a Singapore off Europe must seem a very real possibility if the EU do not react with a quick FTA

Johnson’s majority makes no difference to the future relationship with the EU it is already defined, it will be significantly worse than our current arrangement but be heralded as a dramatic victory by our pathological liar and amoral PM. Then life can progress but by 31/6 next year is really stretch the bounds of possibility. Don’t forget the extension has to be requested by that date or in the words of Noel Edmonds it’s deal or no deal
    So, I paraphrase:

@Big_G_NorthWales , 2019/09: "Boris is risking No Deal! I cannot approve that! I shall leave the party!"
    @Big_G_NorthWales , 2019/10: "Boris has signed a Deal! I applaud that! I shall rejoin the party!"
    @Big_G_NorthWales , 2019/11: "Boris is risking No Deal! I approve that! I shall not leave the party!"

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,273
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Right, so probably more people now (claim) to believe the world is flat then at any time in at least thousands of years.

Thanks social media. Thanks a bunch.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Here you go again.

I am yes.
    And yet you're never satisfied.
    Did someone mention polls? :o
  • Options

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

The amusing irony of Columbus' voyage is that contrary to popular myth, he was wrong and everyone else was right. Nobody thought he would fall off the edge of the world, but they all said it was impossible for two caravels and a nao to carry sufficient supplies for a westbound voyage to Japan. Everyone would die of thirst before they got there. By contrast Columbus thought the world far smaller than it was, although it had been correctly measured by Erastothenes centuries before.

And had he not crashed into America, the doomsayers would have been right. Indeed, even the first European transpacific voyage under Magellan ran so short of provisions they were forced to eat the leatherwork on the masts. But because America was there, he believed he was right, even though he was still completely wrong.

Which is quite funny when you think about it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

nunu2 said:
    He's Bernie/Corbyn supporter but his model was very spon on in 2017? So I dont know.

• Options

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Right, so probably more people now (claim) to believe the world is flat then at any time in at least thousands of years.

Thanks social media. Thanks a bunch.
    Probably. The only flat earther I actually know of for definite before the twentieth century was Paul Kruger, President of the Boer Republics.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

But because America was there, he believed he was right, even though he was still completely wrong.

Which is quite funny when you think about it.
    Sure, but not when all their presidential candidates adopt that approach as policy.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Took a while to catch on though I just thought that medicine and motor cycle maintenance was an odd comparison. In reality of course routine diagnosis of both will be solved by good AI the problem comes when we can’t make the next leap forward

Motorcycle maintenance is taught with Zen. Has been for years...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,273
    NeilVW said:

NeilVW said:

nunu2 said:

Tories have a bigger lead in the seats with less than 10,000 vote majority

https://mobile.twitter.com/anthonyjwells/status/1196036222327672832

That 17% yougov lead has few crumbs of comfort for Remain

Do you know what the Tory lead was in those marginals at the last general election?

You might expect it to be close to zero, but it depends on things like differential turnout, any skew in the distribution of marginal seats and third-party effects.
    I asked that very question of Mr Wells, and will report back his answer. If he doesn’t have it to hand, I’ll have to crank up the spreadsheet and estimate it myself.

10,000-seat majority and under for any party is quite a wide spread of seats - about a 20-point lead assuming average turnout?
    Going back to this, I worked out that there are 283 seats in GB with a 2017 majority of under 10,000 (“marginals” for these purposes). The average Con lead over Lab in the 283 was 2.0 points. YouGov found a 20-point lead, suggesting a 9% swing in marginals (compared with about 7% overall). Among those certain to vote in these marginals, they found a 26% lead (a swing of 12%).

For the record, the 283 seats are made up as follows:

- 127 won by Con in 2017
    - 105 Lab
    - 12 LD
    - 4 PC
    - 35 SNP
    Fab work, thanks. No comfort for Labour, but suggests considering majorities upto 5,000 would be more useful.
  • Options

Might be an especially tough watch for you then.

That line of children's coffins extending forever is as visceral as it gets.
    My wife and I would find it hard. A neighbour painted a very large mural of each child's individual face rising to heaven and into Jesus's hand. It was just so emotional as he had obtained photos of all of them to produce the painting
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

nunu2 said:
    The polls have almost always been very accurate, including with the Conservative share in 2017. The only mistake they've made recently was slightly underestimating Labour in 2017 by around 4%, which was not good but not terrible either. There may have been a last-minute surge to Labour in 2017 which by definition would have been very difficult to capture, similar to the Conservatives in 1992.
    The point is the unweighted samples did pick up that surge, but the weighted ones discounted it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    viewcode said:

nichomar said:

So, I paraphrase:

@Big_G_NorthWales , 2019/09: "Boris is risking No Deal! I cannot approve that! I shall leave the party!"
    @Big_G_NorthWales , 2019/10: "Boris has signed a Deal! I applaud that! I shall rejoin the party!"
    @Big_G_NorthWales , 2019/11: "Boris is risking No Deal! I approve that! I shall not leave the party!"

Big_G wins this year’s drama queen award, and if he ends up voting for Bozo we at least know that we can safely ignore his future hysteria.
  • Options

It's superb.

We've just finished Aberfan and my wife has decided to sleep with the baby rather than me.
  • Options
    https://mobile.twitter.com/djjohnso/status/1196177362058125317

Bit more from that bloke here.

Take with as much salt as you wish, I'm only posting it for the purposes of information.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

My fault for picking a historical myth with an excess of historians on here, I’ll stick to the science of chocolate and postal measurement surveys in future. I do a good line on TBI early onset dementia but it’s not very interesting.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Here you go again.

I am yes.
    By the way, I agree with you that the obvious Corbyn play is to pledge to wipe out all student loans and debt.

So I expect it too.
This discussion has been closed.