Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The number of Tory MPs elected on December 12th will determine

Comments

• Options

There is a point, and we may be past it, where Labour promises so much to so many that the vast majority stops listening.

Someone yesterday called it Labour "jumping the shark". There's a risk that they keep announcing these spendathons and each time there's a chunk of the electorate rolling their eyes and going "that too?"
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    ydoethur said:

If people between 18 and 30 could be bothered to vote, I think they'd swing this election.

My experience, which I appreciate is anecdotal, is that outside Labour held seats this group is swinging to the Greens and the Liberal Democrats. This means paradoxically it is inflating the Labour vote share and not the number of seats.

It might swing a very few marginals like Canterbury, or Exeter (for a given value of 'marginal') or Cardiff Central, but there are only a small number of seats where their influence would be decisive.
    Don't understand this, but perhaps I'm just being thick. If they are swinging to Greens and LDs, why would Labour's vote share go up?

My impression FWIW is that young people are less engaged this time round, but that those who vote are voting intelligently anti-Tory, with the usual uncertainties in places like Kensington. I don't expect the Greens to do well at all overall, though the Remain alliance gives them a shot at some decent showings. The LibDems are clearly up in their target seats, but not much anywhere else.

SW Surrey count so far: 4 LD leaflets (another one today), 1 Con, 1 Lab.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    camel said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Well they were enthused last time. But only when the manifesto came out.

So we will see what happens this time.

I predict Labour will pledge to wipe out all student debt.

How will they pay for it?

Will it only be student loan debt, or all student debt?

Will it include maintenance loans, or only tuition fees?

How far back will it go? Does mine from 20-odd years ago get wiped as well?

Will those who have paid it off, or part paid it off, get their payments refunded?

I think you're right, it's what they'll say.

But unless they can answer those questions, you should not assume it is what they'll do. All they will be looking for is a cheap(!) headline, not getting to grips with the appalling mess that is HE funding.

What we really need is a proper inquiry into academic and student funding, not led by a disgraced former oil exec and self-confessed perjurer, that comes up with a proper and sustainable system. The odds of this happening especially given the current distraction therapy of Brexit and the chaos of the current government are remote. As they are on transport, power generation, broadband...
    I am a big fan of just having an extra 0.5% on income tax for graduates, or whatever level meets the requirement for university funding.
    I paid for my own degree whilst working full time.

You can shove your 0.5% ..........
    But it's supposed to be instead of paying for it, not in addition to.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354

I'm also a bit confused about this idea - as of now - Corbyn's appeal to the young has died. "It doesn't feel like last time" many say.

But at this time in the last election (being at a university campus at the time, I had a good insight, I would like to think) it felt exactly the same, utterly hopeless.

It wasn't until the manifesto launched, that things started to change.

Now it may well be different this time - but it's really too early to conclude much, I think.

This is indubitably correct. It is too early to tell definitively. But I've seen a change in friends (slightly older than the youngest, but in the 25-34 age group that were huge switchers to Lab) who in 2017 couldn't understand my own, as a Labour member then, visceral dislike of Corbyn, and largely viewed him as a good bloke who sadly, wasn't going to win. Now, even those who still intend to vote Labour don't like him and it's a case of holding their nose as Boris is, in their view, worse. That's something borne out by his subterranean personal polling - which is worse than in 2017 - when he was still doing poorly but ok among younger voters even if struggling with everyone else. And the fact that Labour have gone so big, so early on their attempts at a tactical voting squeeze. There's a reason the outriders have been attacking the Lib Dems for not helping them - they know their only hope is to get a group of voters who can't stand Corbyn to hold their nose in the hope of a 2nd referendum, and a few freebies from a government that can't get the seats to engage in its madder ideas.

It is likely to work to narrow the gap a little - but enough? And en masse? You're probably asking far too many people who are unenthusiastic about the whole thing to bother to turn up and vote for a party and person they dislike because they dislike the other bloke more. Some will. Some won't bother or vote with their conscience because they either ignore the tactical considerations or they're not clear-cut.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794

The Welsh language was invented by someone crap at Scrabble.

From memory, the Welsh alphabet has the same number of letters as the English alphabet, but the letters are different and their frequency are different. This is why a Welsh Scrabble set has different tiles.

Now, to really f*** with your head, have a look at the Maltese alphabet. :)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If people between 18 and 30 could be bothered to vote, I think they'd swing this election.

My experience, which I appreciate is anecdotal, is that outside Labour held seats this group is swinging to the Greens and the Liberal Democrats. This means paradoxically it is inflating the Labour vote share and not the number of seats.

It might swing a very few marginals like Canterbury, or Exeter (for a given value of 'marginal') or Cardiff Central, but there are only a small number of seats where their influence would be decisive.
    Don't understand this, but perhaps I'm just being thick. If they are swinging to Greens and LDs, why would Labour's vote share go up?

My impression FWIW is that young people are less engaged this time round, but that those who vote are voting intelligently anti-Tory, with the usual uncertainties in places like Kensington. I don't expect the Greens to do well at all overall, though the Remain alliance gives them a shot at some decent showings. The LibDems are clearly up in their target seats, but not much anywhere else.

SW Surrey count so far: 4 LD leaflets (another one today), 1 Con, 1 Lab.
    So isn't just me being overwhelmed by Lib Dem propaganda...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    PeterC said:

A notable distinction between 2017 and 2019 is the publicity given to polls in the MSM. Last time there was a constant meme about the coming 'Tory landslide', a factor which helped to galvanise Labour's comeback. Polls are of course once again meat and drink to the small (and very distinguished) membership of the PB community, but there is much less wider discussion of the same 'Tory landslide' which most of them again appear to portend.

Agreed. Last night felt like a big deal, but I don't think the polls didn't get a mention on any of the Sky News or Andrew Marr paper reviews. The Randy Andy interview might be part o that, but you'd have thought they might have registered to some extent.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,258

RobD said:

I think it has to be nailed on (especially the polling over the weekend) that Labour promise to cancel student debt, medical weed, and massive council house building..and more. They are going to through every freebie possible and hope enough of it sticks.

Are the IFS still doing their costings?
    There were going to, but they started to look at Labour's offering and found there aren't enough zeros on their calculators to add it all up.
    Nought but Tory propaganda?

With apologies to the good Dr @Sunil_Prasannan...
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Will those who have paid it off, or part paid it off, get their payments refunded?

But unless they can answer those questions, you should not assume it is what they'll do. All they will be looking for is a cheap(!) headline, not getting to grips with the appalling mess that is HE funding.

What we really need is a proper inquiry into academic and student funding, not led by a disgraced former oil exec and self-confessed perjurer, that comes up with a proper and sustainable system. The odds of this happening especially given the current distraction therapy of Brexit and the chaos of the current government are remote. As they are on transport, power generation, broadband...
    I am a big fan of just having an extra 0.5% on income tax for graduates, or whatever level meets the requirement for university funding.
    Well I’ve paid for my 70’s university degree many times over because I have been lucky to do extremely well over the years, I think it was over a million the tax I’ve paid the last time I added it up. The past is not the present though
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    RobD said:

camel said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

But it's supposed to be instead of paying for it, not in addition to.
    Oh that's fine then. I'm sorry. I look forward to a substantial cash rebate after which I will happily pay an extra 0.5%. I'd be quids in.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Because they're a comparatively small part of the electorate, and the most fertile ground for LAbour is those in their 30s and 40s?

• Options
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Well I’ve paid for my 70’s university degree many times over because I have been lucky to do extremely well over the years, I think it was over a million the tax I’ve paid the last time I added it up. The past is not the present though
    Yeah, a tax rate makes it more progressive - those that don't make much out of it will pay far less as a few billionaires (as it were) will pay for thousands of other students to go.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

'Gathering last weekend for the traditional Remembrance Day commemorations, I hear things were rather tense among the former premiers as they met for a cup of coffee at the Foreign Office beforehand.
    'John Major basically blanked David Cameron and Theresa May and would only talk to his fellow anti-Brexit chums Tony Blair and Gordon Brown,' says my mole. 'The three of them were huddled together whispering and ignoring everyone else.'

After helping to contribute to Boris Johnson's Supreme Court humiliation in September, Sir John has even less time for the current Prime Minister.
    'Major has made no secret of the fact that he loathes Johnson because of Brexit and just scowled at him.

In fact, things got so bad that it was left to Theresa May to try to initiate some small talk, and everyone was clearly relieved as the clock ticked towards 11am and they could troop to the Cenotaph for the wreath-laying.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7693451/HARRY-COLE-Exclusive-club-ex-Prime-Ministers-rocked-rift.html

Brexit is personal for John Major.

One always has to remember that when he acts like the Gary Linker of the ex-PMs club.
    John Major used to be my favourite living ex PM, he has now plummeted down the rankings behind Cameron, May, even Blair for me, though he just pips Brown still
    John Major was good in that he ran a steady ship and avoided blowing things up either at home or abroad. But his enduring bitterness is a sight to behold.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

'Gathering last weekend for the traditional Remembrance Day commemorations, I hear things were rather tense among the former premiers as they met for a cup of coffee at the Foreign Office beforehand.
    'John Major basically blanked David Cameron and Theresa May and would only talk to his fellow anti-Brexit chums Tony Blair and Gordon Brown,' says my mole. 'The three of them were huddled together whispering and ignoring everyone else.'

After helping to contribute to Boris Johnson's Supreme Court humiliation in September, Sir John has even less time for the current Prime Minister.
    'Major has made no secret of the fact that he loathes Johnson because of Brexit and just scowled at him.

In fact, things got so bad that it was left to Theresa May to try to initiate some small talk, and everyone was clearly relieved as the clock ticked towards 11am and they could troop to the Cenotaph for the wreath-laying.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7693451/HARRY-COLE-Exclusive-club-ex-Prime-Ministers-rocked-rift.html

Brexit is personal for John Major.

One always has to remember that when he acts like the Gary Linker of the ex-PMs club.
    John Major used to be my favourite living ex PM, he has now plummeted down the rankings behind Cameron, May, even Blair for me, though he just pips Brown still
    You are very very loyal. Until you are not.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Particularly bad SCON result if this pans out
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1196099148317106176

Since when is holding 3 Scottish seats particularly bad for SCON when SLAB lose all but 1?
    I'm sure you've said anything short of the SNP's haul of 56 seats in 2015 is bad for them. By the same token surely a party losing 10 out of 13 couldn't be anything else than bad?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

From memory, the Welsh alphabet has the same number of letters as the English alphabet, but the letters are different and their frequency are different. This is why a Welsh Scrabble set has different tiles.

FF and LL are letters in Welsh, but as I recall J and Z are not. (Although they do borrow j for some loan words, e.g. 'sandwej.')
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

FF and LL are letters in Welsh, but as I recall J and Z are not. (Although they do borrow j for some loan words, e.g. 'sandwej.')
    No "X" (hence "tacsi") but "DD" is a single letter.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

No "X" (hence "tacsi") but "DD" is a single letter.
    Had a feeling there was another one. Is CH treated as a single letter as well for dictionary purposes?
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

We should abolish fees for people doing degrees which benefit the country and humanity.

So those who read the medicines, STEM, history, and law don't have to pay a fee.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

That would be an excellent way of really pissing off those who had finally paid off their loans.
    Also: is there a list somewhere of graduates? What if your degree was from a non-English university? What happens in Scotland?

However, these are practical details. They will not be in the manifesto...

• Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

We should abolish fees for people doing degrees which benefit the country and humanity.

So those who read the medicines, STEM, history, and law don't have to pay a fee.
    If they are in those fields they will probably be able to afford an additional 0.5p on income tax. ;)
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

That would be an excellent way of really pissing off those who had finally paid off their loans.
    Also: is there a list somewhere of graduates? What if your degree was from a non-English university? What happens in Scotland?

Well I was thinking it would be applied going forward.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    viewcode said:

Welsh does not have the English letters J, K, Q, V, X, Z
    It also has Ch, Dd, Ff, Ll, Ng, Rh - which might be written as two letters but behave in grammar and pronunciation as separate letters in their own right. And lets not forget that W & Y are vowels
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Law?!

Ffs!
  • Options
    camel said:

That is very impressive. Which degree, and how long did it take you?

• Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

There will be a list of people who have had loans from 1993 onwards as the SLC keep records of who has and hasn't had them (so that you can't apply for a loan when you've had one before). Admittedly their records department is incredibly good at losing things so that may be a simplistic answer.

Universities will have lists of who did what degree when, but it would be a bastard to prove who did which degree where for common names.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    HYUFD said:

Yes, even Ed Miliband won 18-35s, it was the 40-50 vote going Labour that lost the Tories their majority, Boris has now got the Tories leading with that middle aged group again which could be crucial

The 40-65 cohort know they will be the ones getting rinsed by Labour to pay for Corbyn's spending plans.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    edited November 2019

kle4 said:

If Jezza promised to cancel student debt, be interesting what the 50% of kids who don't go to uni think about having to pay much higher taxes to fund this.

That's what other policies are there to handle.
    Free everything for everybody and only working half a week....all paid for by a handful of billionaires.
    That's about the shape of it. It seems a strategy, as you note, that people may not buy it will all happen, but like the sound of it.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2019

There is a point, and we may be past it, where Labour promises so much to so many that the vast majority stops listening.

There is a danger, picked up in the Stoke / Bolton / West Brom focus group, where people went of course it is horseshit, they will never pay for all that, but arrhh f##k it, why not, even if we only get half of all the sweeties, what's the worst that could happen, we aren't going to become a communist country.

When politicians talk this massive numbers, the general public just see it all as "a lot" and nothing more really. £1bn, £10bn or £100bn it all blurs into the same.
    The contrast in focus groups has been interesting to say the least.

The one you referred seemed to be mostly "I hate Corbyn and Labour but I hate the Tories more" whereas the other one seemed to be that they didn't buy that the Tories would sell off the NHS and would vote for Johnson regardless.

The truth probably is somewhere in the middle. My theory is that the Labour manifesto will come out and be a lot less radical than has been pitched so far - and this may well be by design - and Labour will be seen as far less radical than they've been judged to be so far.

The four day week will disappear and be solely an "ambition" by 2030 - kicking it into the long grass.

The abolishing of private schools will be about removing tax exemptions and nothing else.

The free broadband will be basic speed and they'll make clear they'll only nationalise Openreach.

The tuition fees will be "dealt with" but the student debt wipeout will again be over a period of time.

I predict it will be a decidely unremarkable manifesto (compared to what it is believed to be) and it will give the excuse the Labour Leavers and others need to "reluctantly" back Labour again.

FOM will be "stopped" (controlled) under a Labour deal but it will be made clear that if we Remain it will continue.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes, even Ed Miliband won 18-35s, it was the 40-50 vote going Labour that lost the Tories their majority, Boris has now got the Tories leading with that middle aged group again which could be crucial

Wasn't it the 35-45s?

• Options
    SunnyJim said:

HYUFD said:

The 40-65 cohort know they will be the ones getting rinsed by Labour to pay for Corbyn's spending plans.
    Also the ones shafted by his housing policies and his messing up of key utilities, which will inevitably be more expensive under nationalisation as he and McCluskey agree vast pay rises for all workers (in fairness, we can see this now on the trains even in technical private ownership.)
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Law?!

Ffs!
    No objection to history then? Good.
  • Options

There is a danger, picked up in the Stoke / Bolton / West Brom focus group, where people went of course it is horseshit, they will never pay for all that, but arrhh f##k it, why not, even if we only get half of all the sweeties, what's the worst that could happen, we aren't going to become a communist country.

When politicians talk this massive numbers, the general public just see it all as "a lot" and nothing more really. £1bn, £10bn or £100bn it all blurs into the same.
    A-level Physics students make power of ten errors all the time, and they normally have a better grasp of this type of number than most.

For an example of the difference:
    A million seconds is twelve days.
    A billion seconds is thirty two years.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

If they are in those fields they will probably be able to afford an additional 0.5p on income tax. ;)
    My biggest problem with universities is that we're loading kids with huge debts after they've studied the history of needlework as a tool of oppression by the patriarchy from dumps like Oxford University and former polys run by commies.

My policy will force students to choose decent degrees rather than being loaded up with 50k worth of debt that gets them a job flipping burgers at McDonalds.
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Law?!

Ffs!
    It was the law that stopped Boris Johnson assault on democracy earlier on this year.
  • Options

The abolishing of private schools will be about removing tax exemptions and nothing else.

Changes in the tax structure would lead to the abolishing (sic) of the majority of private schools as matters stand. Admittedly changes in the pension regime are going a long way to doing that anyway.

So that would be a distinction without a difference.

Unless it is accompanied by a minimum 7% rise in the education budget, it would also cause the implosion of state education, because there would be nowhere to put these extra children coming in from the private sector. London and Bristol would be particularly hard hit.
  • Options

The one you referred seemed to be mostly "I hate Corbyn and Labour but I hate the Tories more" whereas the other one seemed to be that they didn't buy that the Tories would sell off the NHS and would vote for Johnson regardless.

The truth probably is somewhere in the middle. My theory is that the Labour manifesto will come out and be a lot less radical than has been pitched so far - and this may well be by design - and Labour will be seen as far less radical than they've been judged to be so far.

The four day week will disappear and be solely an "ambition" by 2030 - kicking it into the long grass.

The free broadband will be basic speed and they'll make clear they'll only nationalise Openreach.

The tuition fees will be "dealt with" but the student debt wipeout will again be over a period of time.

I predict it will be a decidely unremarkable manifesto (compared to what it is believed to be) and it will give the excuse the Labour Leavers and others need to "reluctantly" back Labour again.

FOM will be "stopped" (controlled) under a Labour deal but it will be made clear that if we Remain it will continue.
    I agree their manifesto will be less radical than advertised. This will anger the passionate young activists, who will see fudges on FOM and landlords and private schools as Red Tory sellouts :smile:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Particularly bad SCON result if this pans out
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1196099148317106176

Since when is holding 3 Scottish seats particularly bad for SCON when SLAB lose all but 1?
    I'm sure you've said anything short of the SNP's haul of 56 seats in 2015 is bad for them. By the same token surely a party losing 10 out of 13 couldn't be anything else than bad?
    It would not be great but it would still be more than the 1 Scottish seat the Tories won in 2015 when they won an overall majority across the UK
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Changes in the tax structure would lead to the abolishing (sic) of the majority of private schools as matters stand. Admittedly changes in the pension regime are going a long way to doing that anyway.

Unless it is accompanied by a minimum 7% rise in the education budget, it would also cause the implosion of state education, because there would be nowhere to put these extra children coming in from the private sector. London and Bristol would be particularly hard hit.
    I basically agree with what you're saying - but my interest is in the perception of the policy, not the impacts of it.

People have been told up to now (although I don't know how much breakthrough it has) that Labour is going to ban private schools, confiscate their land, etc.

But when the policy ends up being "we'll make them pay their fair share", I suspect the majority will probably say "oh sounds ok then". The effect of it, Labour will hope is, "they're a lot less radical than I thought they were, that reds under the bed stuff seems a bit overblown".

It's the perceptions that are important. What was crucial - IMHO - in 2017 was that Labour really wasn't that radical. They had a good balance between what was electorally possible and being radical. The most radical thing they promised was probably scrapping tuition fees, which isn't radical historically.

My point is that - similar to what somebody else said - if Labour are seen as nutty Communists, it actually plays to their strength if it turns out they're not at all. What people found when they saw Corbyn interviewed and also in person, was that he was basically harmless but caring. That was the contrast with May.

Who knows what will happen in the debate on Tuesday - but I suspect the key for Corbyn will be making himself look decidedly unradical and making Johnson look like a nutter.
  • Options
    Disgusting, this is the sort of behaviour you'd expect from a Tony Blair run Labour conference.

Outrage as blind African student, 25, is dragged ‘by his ankles’ out of Oxford Union debating chamber

Ebenezer Azamati had wanted to attend a talk at the Oxford Union on October 17

25-year-old reserved a seat due to concerns there were no provisions in place

Officials refused his attendance and were seen manhandling him out of his seat

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7694591/Outrage-blind-student-25-dragged-ankles-Oxford-Union-debating-chamber.html
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

I agree their manifesto will be less radical than advertised. This will anger the passionate young activists, who will see fudges on FOM and landlords and private schools as Red Tory sellouts :smile:
    They'll all fall into line.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

My biggest problem with universities is that we're loading kids with huge debts after they've studied the history of needlework as a tool of oppression by the patriarchy from dumps like Oxford University and former polys run by commies.

My policy will force students to choose decent degrees rather than being loaded up with 50k worth of debt that gets them a job flipping burgers at McDonalds.
    I can’t disagree with that although my three daughters went to university
    1 got a degree in social studies (?) and now has extensive accountancy qualifications
    2 got a degree in psychology and criminal justice and now is a mental health therapist with an MSc, and two other post grad qualifications
    3 has an English degree and just gained a PGCE so the nature of the degree is not every thing.

Mine was Chem Eng and Mgt Economics and my wife pharmacy both more defined but I never trusted myself to design chemical plant safely so didn’t go that route.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    PeterC said:

John Major was good in that he ran a steady ship and avoided blowing things up either at home or abroad. But his enduring bitterness is a sight to behold.

I thought Major was an outstanding PM with a legacy that improved with time.

So it actually genuinely hurt seeing him behave the way he did over the referendum result.

Grieve, Soubry, Letwin etc are just nothing sh*ts but Major was a political 'hero' in as much a normal functioning adult could have a political hero.

I find myself making excuses...'Maastricht blah blah'.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I basically agree with what you're saying - but my interest is in the perception of the policy, not the impacts of it.

People have been told up to now (although I don't know how much breakthrough it has) that Labour is going to ban private schools, confiscate their land, etc.

But when the policy ends up being "we'll make them pay their fair share", I suspect the majority will probably say "oh sounds ok then". The effect of it, Labour will hope is, "they're a lot less radical than I thought they were, that reds under the bed stuff seems a bit overblown".

It's the perceptions that are important. What was crucial - IMHO - in 2017 was that Labour really wasn't that radical. They had a good balance between what was electorally possible and being radical. The most radical thing they promised was probably scrapping tuition fees, which isn't radical historically.

My point is that - similar to what somebody else said - if Labour are seen as nutty Communists, it actually plays to their strength if it turns out they're not at all. What people found when they saw Corbyn interviewed and also in person, was that he was basically harmless but caring. That was the contrast with May.

Who knows what will happen in the debate on Tuesday - but I suspect the key for Corbyn will be making himself look decidedly unradical and making Johnson look like a nutter.
    But the point is, if it's a policy with disastrous, unintended side effects that ends up making matters far worse, it is still a nutty policy. It doesn't matter if it's 'radical' or not from that point of view.

For example, would cancelling HS2 be radical? Of course not. Quite the opposite. It's the safe option, financially and politically, for the government. But it would also make the current total logjam on the WCML insoluble.

It's not about whether something is ideologically sound. Policies can be that, and still be good. It's about whether they will work or whether they're bribe's to sucker in idiots.

At the moment, Corbyn's entire policy offering however he dresses it up is pretty much the latter.
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Willr generation, broadband...

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Law?!

Ffs!
    It was the law that stopped Boris Johnson assault on democracy earlier on this year.
    What has a law degree got to do with being a lawyer ?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Wasn't it the 35-45s?

Technically the 35 to 47s, the average age you stopped voting Labour on average was 34 in 2015, with the Tories tieing 35-44 year olds and ahead amongst 45 to 54s.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2015

In 2017 Labour led with all ages up to 47

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2017-election

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/06/13/how-britain-voted-2017-general-election
  • Options
    I suspect that in the event Boris achieves a good majority the EU will have until the mid summer to formulate a FTA or Boris will walk us out on WTO

At the same time free ports and 12% corporation tax will arrrive and billions in investment opportunities in RD and other advanced techology will be put on the table

Indeed the EU's worst nightmare of a Singapore off Europe must seem a very real possibility if the EU do not react with a quick FTA

• Options
    ydoethur said:

But the point is, if it's a policy with disastrous, unintended side effects that ends up making matters far worse, it is still a nutty policy. It doesn't matter if it's 'radical' or not from that point of view.

For example, would cancelling HS2 be radical? Of course not. Quite the opposite. It's the safe option, financially and politically, for the government. But it would also make the current total logjam on the WCML insoluble.

It's not about whether something is ideologically sound. Policies can be that, and still be good. It's about whether they will work or whether they're bribe's to sucker in idiots.

At the moment, Corbyn's entire policy offering however he dresses it up is pretty much the latter.

I think the public perception of Corbyn's policies is probably mostly positive. Even if like you say, the impacts will not be.

I happen to think HS2 is probably a good idea - but I've have started in the North first.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

I struggle to understand how the Con lead over every other party increases, and yet their total seat number drops.
    I struggle understand how to there are only 7 non-SNP seats in Scotland but the SNP only have 51.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

I think it has to be nailed on (especially the polling over the weekend) that Labour promise to cancel student debt, medical weed, and massive council house building..and more. They are going to through every freebie possible and hope enough of it sticks.

There were going to, but they started to look at Labour's offering and found there aren't enough zeros on their calculators to add it all up.

NAUGHT but Tory Propaganda!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I think the public perception of Corbyn's policies is probably mostly positive. Even if like you say, the impacts will not be.

I happen to think HS2 is probably a good idea - but I've have started in the North first.
    Corbyn's Brexit and gift tax proposals are not popular and that is where the Tories need to focus on, he is also seen as weak on defence, crime and national security
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

A-level Physics students make power of ten errors all the time, and they normally have a better grasp of this type of number than most.

For an example of the difference:
    A million seconds is twelve days.
    A billion seconds is thirty two years.
    It’s when medics and, worse, pharmacists make tenfold or hundred-fold errors that things really go awry. I still have a shudder at the memory of an anaesthetist ringing me up, as on-call pharmacist, one 3am and arguing about the strength of a pre-filled syringe.
    Fortunately I was awake enough to redo the calculations in my head and convince him he was wrong.
  • Options

I suspect that in the event Boris achieves a good majority the EU will have until the mid summer to formulate a FTA or Boris will walk us out on WTO

At the same time free ports and 12% corporation tax will arrrive and billions in investment opportunities in RD and other advanced techology will be put on the table

Indeed the EU's worst nightmare of a Singapore off Europe must seem a very real possibility if the EU do not react with a quick FTA

Blimey Big_G do you never learn? No Deal (aka WTO terms) will be a disaster.

For the UK much more than the EU.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Negotiations on a FTA with the EU will still continue even if Boris leaves the transition period provided the WA has passed by then
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,308
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

I struggle to understand how the Con lead over every other party increases, and yet their total seat number drops.
    I struggle understand how to there are only 7 non-SNP seats in Scotland but the SNP only have 51.
    There are 8 non-SNP seats on the map. 2 tories on the borders plus aberdeen. 4 LD (Orkney/Shetland, the bit at the top, 1 near glasgow and one near edinbrough) plus a labour one
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

NAUGHT but Tory Propaganda!
    NOWT but Tory Propaganda! :smile:
  • Options
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,273

That doesn't make any sense.

If Johnson and the ERG don't agree to the level playing field regulations then agreeing an FTA is the worst outcome for the EU as they then give market access to the Singapore off Europe.

Not convinced there will be lots of investment in the UK economy if we don't have that access.
  • Options

Johnson’s majority makes no difference to the future relationship with the EU it is already defined, it will be significantly worse than our current arrangement but be heralded as a dramatic victory by our pathological liar and amoral PM. Then life can progress but by 31/6 next year is really stretch the bounds of possibility. Don’t forget the extension has to be requested by that date or in the words of Noel Edmonds it’s deal or no deal
  • Options

A forum I go on (football related) populated by the late teens/early 20s is definitely not in support of government broadband. Once the penny dropped about the limitations of service and the inevitable problems getting faults fixed there was a real kickback.

Same with changing the tax status on private schools, once voters realise what that will mean for their kids in the state sector it will blow up in Labour's face.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You really are ramping Corbyn but fail to see he is not trusted to implement his policies without destroying the financial stability of the country and annihilating pension values for the vast majority of ordinary workers. He is seeking to change us into a marxist state alongside anti west, anti nato, anti army, pro Russia policies
  • Options
    Thanks. Can someone explain how to download data in JSON format (to say Excel) please.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

And therein lies the problem with populism from Athens onwards.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

PeterC said:

So it actually genuinely hurt seeing him behave the way he did over the referendum result.

Grieve, Soubry, Letwin etc are just nothing sh*ts but Major was a political 'hero' in as much a normal functioning adult could have a political hero.

Nah he was an awful PM.

Bear in mind he was responsible for a number of the decisions normally blamed on Thatcher.

It was Major who as Chancellor pushed so hard for us to join the ERM even though it was clear it was at a rate that would be unsustainable. It was then he who fought so hard to keep us in even when the policy was obviously such a disaster.

It was Major who privatised the railways in such a ridiculous manner. A privatisation too far as far as Thatcher was concerned and done in such a way as to almost assure there would be conflict and failure.

It was Major who, along with Heseltine, pushed mine closures far past just shutting down the unprofitable ones and into shutting down everything, whether profitable or not.

It was Major who pushed through the Maastricht Treaty when it should have been obvious it was just going to make matters even worse as far as British attitudes to the EU were concerned.

It was Major who presided over the cash for questions scandal and then prorogued Parliament to avoid having to face a damagingly critical report - entirely for political reasons. And he then has the audacity to attack Johnson for doing the same thing.

He was an awful PM and his behaviour in recent times just reinforce how bad he was.
  • Options
    I am not sure too much should be read into loads of 18-25 year old registering. All unis try and auto register every one of their students (unless they opted on when they signed-up for the academic year), even if they are already registered.
  • Options

Thanks. Can someone explain how to download data in JSON format (to say Excel) please.
    Easier just to select all and then copy paste.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

It also has the Tories holding Aberdeen South but not West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine. Nah.
  • Options

I am not sure too much should be read into loads of 18-25 year old registering. All unis try and auto register every one of their students (unless they opted on when they signed-up for the academic year), even if they are already registered.
    Wut?

Didn't happen with me
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019

Wut?

Didn't happen with me
    It is the standard practice now. Perhaps all unis might not be correct, for most of them definitely do. And you have to actively tick to not be registered.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

There are 8 non-SNP seats on the map. 2 tories on the borders plus aberdeen. 4 LD (Orkney/Shetland, the bit at the top, 1 near glasgow and one near edinbrough) plus a labour one
    It's still a stupid map. You would have thought they would have spotted that glaring error over Buckingham.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You really are ramping Corbyn but fail to see he is not trusted to implement his policies without destroying the financial stability of the country and annihilating pension values for the vast majority of ordinary workers. He is seeking to change us into a marxist state alongside anti west, anti nato, anti army, pro Russia policies
    Then don't vote for him, would be my advice.

I'm really only interested in the numbers, in terms of comment on this website.

I have my own favoured outcome - but I am doing my best not to let that bias my conclusions here.

What you say may well be true - but that doesn't seem to have the impact you think it does.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited November 2019

Of course I learn and it could well be a disaster but if the majority is there he can more or less dictate to the EU
  • Options

Wut?

Didn't happen with me
    It is the standard practice now. Perhaps all unis might not be correct, for most of them definitely do.
    Was the standard practice in Aberystwyth 18 years ago as well.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Wut?

Didn't happen with me
    It is the standard practice now. Perhaps all unis might not be correct, for most of them definitely do.
    Unis for as long as I can remember used to register people living in halls, but now standard practice seems to be just do everybody.
  • Options
    Fair enough - I'm afraid I don't recall any such thing with me.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Johnson’s majority makes no difference to the future relationship with the EU it is already defined, it will be significantly worse than our current arrangement but be heralded as a dramatic victory by our pathological liar and amoral PM. Then life can progress but by 31/6 next year is really stretch the bounds of possibility. Don’t forget the extension has to be requested by that date or in the words of Noel Edmonds it’s deal or no deal
    And that is why I maintain no deal is a very strong possibility
  • Options

Of course I learn and it could well be a disaster but if the majority is there he can more or less dictate to the EU
    You don't seriously believe this do you?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856

I've no desire to live in Singapore-on-Thames which won't benefit the vast majority of people.

If that's the thinking of the modern Conservative Party I'm delighted I'm no Tory - I'd much protect the unfortunate from the tyranny of policies like this.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Wut?

Didn't happen with me
    Unis for as long as I can remember used to register people living in halls, but now standard practice seems to be just do everybody.
    I don't think they can register people not living in their accommodation. Would that even be legal?

But everyone in PJM, the halls on Penglais, the seafront halls, Bryn Derw and Ty Gwerin were automatically enrolled.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

ydoethur said:

If you remove the army bit you could be talking about Johnson or Trump. Awful man though Corbyn undoubtedly is, you are simply regurgitating Boris' gaslighting strategy.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wut?

Didn't happen with me
    I don't think they can register people not living in their accommodation. Would that even be legal?

But everyone in PJM, the halls on Penglais, the seafront halls, Bryn Derw and Ty Gwerin were automatically enrolled.
    They definitely do (at least at a load of unis I am aware of). Its on the registration form where the kids agree for the uni to register their details with the council for both council tax purposes and for voting registration.
  • Options

Why does his majority mean he can dictate to the EU that’s ridiculous. The deal they will get is already agreed, just as the withdrawal agreement was agreed by the a few weeks after the leave vote happened. The so called Johnson deal was priced in from the beginning as will the the final ongoing relationship (note I don’t call it an FTA) he has no leverage but what will be will be.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If you remove the army bit you could be talking about Johnson or Trump. Awful man though Corbyn undoubtedly is, you are simply regurgitating Boris' gaslighting strategy.
    There are so many reasonable criticisms of Corbyn but quite frankly I switch off when I hear he's a Marxist Communist spy who is simultaenously so fucking useless he can't take a view on anything.

Milliband was apparently a Communist, I'm sure Brown was called a Communist as well.

It just gets tiring after a while - and quite frankly the Tories have been doing their best to screw up the country over the last 9 years.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

PeterC said:

Nah he was an awful PM.

Bear in mind he was responsible for a number of the decisions normally blamed on Thatcher.

It was Major who as Chancellor pushed so hard for us to join the ERM even though it was clear it was at a rate that would be unsustainable. It was then he who fought so hard to keep us in even when the policy was obviously such a disaster.

It was Major who privatised the railways in such a ridiculous manner. A privatisation too far as far as Thatcher was concerned and done in such a way as to almost assure there would be conflict and failure.

It was Major who, along with Heseltine, pushed mine closures far past just shutting down the unprofitable ones and into shutting down everything, whether profitable or not.

It was Major who pushed through the Maastricht Treaty when it should have been obvious it was just going to make matters even worse as far as British attitudes to the EU were concerned.

It was Major who presided over the cash for questions scandal and then prorogued Parliament to avoid having to face a damagingly critical report - entirely for political reasons. And he then has the audacity to attack Johnson for doing the same thing.

He was an awful PM and his behaviour in recent times just reinforce how bad he was.
    Major has become so foul, I now feel really sorry for Edwina Curry. I mean, what on earth was she thinking about?
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

ydoethur said:

There are so many reasonable criticisms of Corbyn but quite frankly I switch off when I hear he's a Marxist Communist spy who is simultaenously so fucking useless he can't take a view on anything.

Milliband was apparently a Communist, I'm sure Brown was called a Communist as well.

It just gets tiring after a while - and quite frankly the Tories have been doing their best to screw up the country over the last 9 years.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wut?

Didn't happen with me

They definitely do (at least at a load of unis I am aware of). Its on the registration form where the kids agree for the uni to register their details with the council for both council tax purposes and for voting registration.
    I'm struggling to see how that's possible under individual registration. I can't understand how they could just hand over an address they don't own to the council.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I've no desire to live in Singapore-on-Thames which won't benefit the vast majority of people.

If that's the thinking of the modern Conservative Party I'm delighted I'm no Tory - I'd much protect the unfortunate from the tyranny of policies like this.
    We have no idea how that would work out and I have only put it in there to alert posters that no deal has not gone away post a 31st January majority conservative government
  • Options

nichomar said:

And that is why I maintain no deal is a very strong possibility
    So why are you voting for the possibility that it happens? Corbyn is not going to win
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

ydoethur said:

I have my own favoured outcome - but I am doing my best not to let that bias my conclusions here.

Must try harder :)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If you remove the army bit you could be talking about Johnson or Trump.
    Hooray!! Somebody else gets it after I've been saying it for months!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wut?

Didn't happen with me

I'm struggling to see how that's possible under individual registration. I can't understand how they could just hand over an address they don't own to the council.
    With students’ consent, the service collects essential information from the university (such as date of birth and full name) and the student (National Insurance number) and automatically transfers it to the relevant, participating electoral registrars at local authorities, reducing the effort and expense it would take for universities and colleges to work with multiple electoral registrars across the UK.

https://www.jisc.ac.uk/news/student-voter-registration-service-gains-its-1000th-sign-up-01-oct-2019
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,756
    edited November 2019
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think Johnson is anything in particular. He did, after all, write two impassioned articles - one in favour of staying and one in favour of leaving.

I don't know why people think this proves so much. It is good practice to set out the pros and cons of each side of a big decision on paper, regardless of how strongly you feel to one side or the other. I would advocate it in business and personal life. It is actually one of the few things that made me think better of Boris's seriousness, even though he came to the wrong conclusion. If only he was that thoughtful in all the rest of his decisions.
    It was not so much the writing of the articles as the suggestion he might easily have chosen the other one
    Many individual voters were split 52/48 in their minds, just as the aggregate was. That's why a significant number of Remainers (not the die-hard variety) will vote for Johnson to keep Corbyn out. They (we) may have voted Remain on the day but they won't gamble their impaired prosperity in the hope of revocation, if the downside is Venezuela.
    Why do you see this as a binary choice
    . Corbyn is going to lose and lose badly, worse than 83. So people are free to vote how they want. There is no way labour will win.
    Corbyn is going to lose badly because many Remainers will cut their losses and vote Tory. What's the point in thinking "Corbyn can't win this one, but if I vote LD we might just get a hung parliament and then we can carry on with this crippling indecision."
    Corbyn is going to lose. Every body else can vote for who they want and so what I’d rather have both of the sidelined and years of stable crippling indecision than either with a majority, you are just using the fear of labour to advance the prospects of a liar and hypocrite.
    My ancestors fought and died for thousands of years to bequeath me the vote. I'm not going to besmirch their memory by refusing to exercise it just because political parties are, almost without exception, led by liars and hypocrites.

To be more serious, I'm probably going to vote Tory because decisive government with a working majority is, all things being equal, marginally better than anything else on offer.
  • Options

stodge said:

We have no idea how that would work out and I have only put it in there to alert posters that no deal has not gone away post a 31st January majority conservative government
    Which is why ultimately I can't support one.

I don't oppose leaving on a sensible deal but we're so far away from that now I have come to the conclusion we need the people to decide.

I was originally absolutely opposed to a second referendum and People's Vote, etc. are a disgrace and a front for Remain.

But the deal that is being promised is so far away from what was discussed in 2016, I simply have no other option that I can support.

If we'd have left on a Norway-style deal, we'd have left on time and the majority would have dealt with it and accepted it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661

18-30s did vote last time in greater numbers, but what killed the Tories from getting a majority is they lost their big leads among the middle aged middle class when they detonated the dementia tax plan.

True, despite the fact that the plan was a good idea from almost any point of view.
  • Options

Yes - in some ways a majority conservative government whose mps have all signed a pledge to leave on no deal if necessary ( as they have) makes it very possible
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

ydoethur said:

Must try harder :)
    Take everything I say with a grain of salt of course.
  • Options
    Banterman said:

SunnyJim said:

PeterC said:

Nah he was an awful PM.

Major has become so foul, I now feel really sorry for Edwina Curry. I mean, what on earth was she thinking about?
    She put the chicken before the bad egg
  • Options
    How could someone running in such a high profile race, where race will be a factor, be so careless?
  • Options

Yes - in some ways a majority conservative government whose mps have all signed a pledge to leave on no deal if necessary ( as they have) makes it very possible
    I meant the idea Johnson can dictate what he wants to the EU.

On No Deal, this is fundamentally why I cannot support a Johnson Government even in principle.
This discussion has been closed.