Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest Ipsos MORI government satisfaction ratings are wors

Comments

• Options
    Well the spread is spreading out then again.

Opinium is extraordinary.

Those constituency polls are grim, showing the split vote.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

According to Opinium, the Tories have stretched their poll lead and now have a 16-point lead over Labour. The Conservatives are up three points compared with a week ago, and now stand on 44%. Labour is down one point on 28%. The Liberal Democrats are also down one point on 14%, their lowest showing since August, while the Brexit party is unchanged on 6%.

Tories +3
    Labour -1
    Lib Dem -1

That just doesn't feel right at all.

Who did they survey only the local Conservative Clubs?

It does. This election is not 2017 redux
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,355

Jason said:

So 8 point lead remains with ComRes but Labour up to 33, Tories at 41. That must be a Tory ceiling surely?

Well you're always comparing this election to 2017, so according to that, no.
    The Tory ceiling historically is about 43%, they happened to get that in 2017 but historically they've not polled much higher in recent memory.
    People know Corbyn now and that he and McDonnell are a risk not to be taken..
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Looking at the london constituency polls in the guardian, thornberry will be in real trouble
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

According to Opinium, the Tories have stretched their poll lead and now have a 16-point lead over Labour. The Conservatives are up three points compared with a week ago, and now stand on 44%. Labour is down one point on 28%. The Liberal Democrats are also down one point on 14%, their lowest showing since August, while the Brexit party is unchanged on 6%.

Tories +3
    Labour -1
    Lib Dem -1

Not the way the last week of the campaign has gone. Bad news day in day out for the Tories, and yet +3....that just doesn't ring true.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Jason said:

So 8 point lead remains with ComRes but Labour up to 33, Tories at 41. That must be a Tory ceiling surely?

Well you're always comparing this election to 2017, so according to that, no.
    The Tory ceiling historically is about 43%, they happened to get that in 2017 but historically they've not polled much higher in recent memory.
    But I thought you said.....oh never mind.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,657

The Tories are never getting 44%. I can't see them getting 40%.

The big difference in so many of these polls is the Labour number. They are either looking at a sub Gordo drubbing or a now creeping to a respectable 32-33% share.

I think the later is much more likely than the former. In fact the former is just impossible, especially with Santa Corbyn handing out freebies left, right and centre.

I think the Tories can get 40% or thereabouts. It's certainly possible.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Nationalising rail more popular than cutting IHT:

Two thirds (66 per cent) of voters said they were more likely to vote for a party that promised to recruit an additional 20,000 police officers - 23 per cent higher than "cutting taxes", the second most popular proposition put to those surveyed.

More than a third (35 per cent) said they would be more likely to back a party that pledged to cut inheritance tax, and 37 per cent said that a promise to renationalise Britain's rail network - a Labour policy - would increase the likelihood that they would vote for a particular party.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Labour always has very soft green support it can faithfully rely on to come onboard once an election is called.
    Labour will squeeze them to around 1 or 2 percent I would think.

Tory vote in 2010 was 36%, Labour 29%, Lib Dems 23%.

Where have those Lib Dems gone?
    There was a YouGov poll that indicated that 40% of Greens would vote tactically for Labour and 40% for LDs leaving 20% (of 5%) i.e. 1% still voting Green. That's what I have in my model.

The movement has already started and Greens are now on about 3.5% and the shift of the other 1.5% is already reflected in the Lab and LD shares.
    What does your model predict overall?
    Con/Lab/LD 319/224/34
    After latest ComRes

Con/Lab/LD 320/225/32
    I'd like to see the figures after the latest Opinium is added.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019
    Andy_JS said:

The big difference in so many of these polls is the Labour number. They are either looking at a sub Gordo drubbing or a now creeping to a respectable 32-33% share.

I think the later is much more likely than the former. In fact the former is just impossible, especially with Santa Corbyn handing out freebies left, right and centre.

I think the Tories can get 40% or thereabouts. It's certainly possible.
    40% seems like the absolute ceiling. Labour look like they have broken through 30% now and the Lib Dem are just invisible.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    Telegraph poll 8% Tory lead; Guardian poll 16% Tory lead.

No on can accuse the pollsters of letting the paymaster call the tune.
  • Options

Two thirds (66 per cent) of voters said they were more likely to vote for a party that promised to recruit an additional 20,000 police officers - 23 per cent higher than "cutting taxes", the second most popular proposition put to those surveyed.

More than a third (35 per cent) said they would be more likely to back a party that pledged to cut inheritance tax, and 37 per cent said that a promise to renationalise Britain's rail network - a Labour policy - would increase the likelihood that they would vote for a particular party.

And yet the poll from Opinium says the opposite. Go figure
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1195771706599727104
    Sigh.

It’s not the checks that are the problem. Getting the teeth checked is cheap and quick. Getting the fecking treatment done is the expensive bit. And that’s speaking as somebody on a good salary who doesn’t eat many sugary foods.

Next up: free tyre checks.
    Free hearing aids would be better. I’ve been entitled to them for years but the bastards in my LHA refuse to pay for them.
    Interesting publication this week on hearing aids postponing dementia.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-11-link-cognition-earlier-thought.html
  • Options

Or that they are herding....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
  • Options

12% lead seems reasonable.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Barnesian said:

What are LDs? I see the BXP is 5%.
    LKD 14, BXP 5, Greens 2. More scope for Labour to squeeze in defence. On this poll it's a horse-race; on Opinium it's not.
    Likud 14???
  • Options

nunu2 said:

Tories +3
    Labour -1
    Lib Dem -1

Not the way the last week of the campaign has gone. Bad news day in day out for the Tories, and yet +3....that just doesn't ring true.
    Maybe the public are a little bit more savvy than we give them credit for, and they see perfectly well that Corbyn's 'everything for free' mantra is the total bollocks we all know it to be.
  • Options

I'm sorry but you're wrong. The public are much smarter than that.
  • Options

Why is the former impossible ?

Labour are certainly doing worse in Scotland, Wales and everywhere north of Birmingham than they were in 2010.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited November 2019
    Labour third in all.

Those LibDem bar charts write themselves......
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

40 million people at £20 a check up doesn’t add up to £450m.

Plus add in all the teeth health tourists.

That figure won’t last the night.

You are supposed to get a check-up every 6 months...
    £20 quid for a check up.. WHERE>?
    £20.60 for NHS “check up”

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/nhs-dentist-charges-are-you-paying-too-much.htm
    Try and get an NHS dentist, its virtually impossible. I pay 27£ a month for 4 hygienist and 2 dentist appts and any treatment req is free under certain conditions.. but not for crowns or root canal and the like. It also covers me when abroad..
    They are available where I am (and where I used to live in the SE). Perhaps I’m just lucky.
  • Options
    These constituency results do no favours for the Remain side but are a gift to the Tories.

Both sides will insist they're the tactical choice - and the vote will get split.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2019

Labour third in all.

Those LibDem bar charts write themselves......
    "Not quite winning here."
  • Options
    Wow.

Not much tactical voting there.

More a case of letting the Tories hold all their seats through the middle. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Remain voters are confused as anything
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

My dentist does them for free. I have private treatment but she does it on NHS for free. Recently had a small filling and she said it was same on NHS as private as it was visible and said no point paying £60 when you get it on NHS for £14.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    If the Tories hold on to Wimbeldon they will win a landslide
  • Options

Labour are certainly doing worse in Scotland, Wales and everywhere north of Birmingham than they were in 2010.
    Labour have polled less than 29% for what 50 years? That isn't going to change this time. I just don't believe any of these polls with Labour on ~22%.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    edited November 2019
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1195771706599727104
    Sigh.

It’s not the checks that are the problem. Getting the teeth checked is cheap and quick. Getting the fecking treatment done is the expensive bit. And that’s speaking as somebody on a good salary who doesn’t eat many sugary foods.

Next up: free tyre checks.
    Free hearing aids would be better. I’ve been entitled to them for years but the bastards in my LHA refuse to pay for them.
    Interesting publication this week on hearing aids postponing dementia.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-11-link-cognition-earlier-thought.html
    Interesting though it is, that isn’t exactly calculated to cheer me up!
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Hehehehe 😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    And I believe them about as much as they would renew Trident. The membership won't stand for it if Labour were in power and went all UKIPy.
  • Options
    Its possible that there might be a shock Conservative gain in London if that happens - Brentford or Hampstead for example.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Shocking Opinium for Labour . If you can’t close the gap after the dreadful NHS figures then really !

The Comres is better but still no closing of the gap .

We need to see the fieldwork dates to see whether there’s a big difference in those between the two .
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Labour always has very soft green support it can faithfully rely on to come onboard once an election is called.

There was a YouGov poll that indicated that 40% of Greens would vote tactically for Labour and 40% for LDs leaving 20% (of 5%) i.e. 1% still voting Green. That's what I have in my model.

The movement has already started and Greens are now on about 3.5% and the shift of the other 1.5% is already reflected in the Lab and LD shares.
    Con/Lab/LD 319/224/34
    After latest ComRes

Con/Lab/LD 320/225/32
    Probably barely a majority under his model. Very bizarre
  • Options

£20.60 for NHS “check up”

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/nhs-dentist-charges-are-you-paying-too-much.htm
    Try and get an NHS dentist, its virtually impossible. I pay 27£ a month for 4 hygienist and 2 dentist appts and any treatment req is free under certain conditions.. but not for crowns or root canal and the like. It also covers me when abroad..
    Move to God's country it is a lot less. Mind you I pay a fair whack for unlimited cover up to £2K , only implants excluded, for myself and wife via employer so only costs me half price with tax relief
  • Options
    ...and here comes another Great Labour Fudge.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

>Labour will also promise a revolution in the labour market by introducing sectoral collective bargaining, promising a 32-hour working week by 2030 — albeit voluntary — and banning zero-hours contracts.

So actually quite moderate again. Interesting.

Sectoral collective bargaining isn't moderate.
    I don’t even know how you get there from the current status quo where many (most?) people are not in unions.

I’m a union rep (though very definitely don’t fund Labour) and regularly see the benefits of collective bargaining in an employer; but there won’t be many sectors where unions can argue for the same “buy in” for the whole sector as with an employer in which they are recognised.
    They can in the public sector.

Which is the point, really. This policy and the working directive appears to be a function of Labour’s support being almost entirely public sector where such things as short working, working from home and sectoral bargaining are normal. In the private sector, where they have almost entirely disappeared after Wapping in 1986, they will simply be laughed at.
    Working from home is now pretty much normal in large chunks of the private sector as well. And I guess it's almost nonexistent amongst large sections of the public sector, eg health and education.
    Huh?! Surely that’s a spoof remark?!!!!!
    Sorry, I suspect we're talking at crossed purposes. My private sector job allows me to work one day a week from home without any request for permission. As a class teacher, my assumption is that if you have classes five days a week, you have to turn up to school five days a week. Similarly it's next to impossible for doctors/nurses to oversee patients remotely. Obviously admin work etc can and is routinely done at home, but there are things for which a physical presence is necessary. In my case, I can theoretically work from home for weeks without any impact on my performance.
    Now you explain, that does make more sense. Thanks.
    My private sector job for a mahoosive global company is 99.99 per cent working from home, thus saving the company paying for electricity, chairs, stationery, and all that other gubbins, not to mention great big buildings.
    Same for me.
  • Options
    Jason said:

So no different from the Tory policy of negotiating a treaty?
  • Options

Labour have polled less than 29% for what 50 years? That isn't going to change this time. I just don't believe any of these polls with Labour on ~22%.
    1983 was 27.6%.

I could see them going lower but not up against Johnson.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Opinium!!!!!!!!!! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Interesting tidbits from the flavible projection of the Opinium figures. Tories pick up the extraordinarily unlikely Newcastle North along with Sunderland central and Tynemouth, Blyth Valley, Nw Durham, Sedgefield, Hartlepool etc etc
    Within a percent or two further swing of a complete meltdown of the PLP, especially if they get wasted by the yellows in London
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Con/Lab/LD 319/224/34
    After latest ComRes

Con/Lab/LD 320/225/32
    One poll unlikely to make that much of a difference.
  • Options
    The Finchley poll is very good for the Tories but the other 2 are knife edge. They are very poor for Labour and unfortunately Dent Coad is still in with a chance. Seeing her lose will be a highlight.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    "Instead it will renegotiate migration policy with EU if Britain votes to leave in second referendum"

With Labour it will go like this,

Labour - We would like to renegotiate migration policy, honest, like we really do (to background of the membership screaming all borders are racist).
    EU - Freedom of movement is at the core of everything we do
    Labour - OK, seems like we will have to accept that then
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Shocking Opinium for Labour . If you can’t close the gap after the dreadful NHS figures then really !

We need to see the fieldwork dates to see whether there’s a big difference in those between the two .

On my plot it looks as though the Tories have the big mo, at least a bigger one than Lab. I will wait for fieldwork dates before sharing.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited November 2019
    Lib Dems should win Wimbledon when people in the constituency realise they're clearly the best competition. Kensington will probably remain split allowing the Tories to win.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    If Labour have dropped the FOM then sense has prevailed . That would have been a gift to the Tories and the BP.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Stand by for a number of the Shad Cab on sofas tomorrow morning arguing differently.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

These constituency results do no favours for the Remain side but are a gift to the Tories.

Both sides will insist they're the tactical choice - and the vote will get split.

Well that’s one view but to anybody with an ounce of intelligence the tactical choice is obvious. It won’t be tactical by 12/12 it will be the preferred option as labour keep digging deeper holes.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Con/Lab/LD 319/224/34
    After latest ComRes

Con/Lab/LD 320/225/32
    After latest Opinium

Con/lab/LD 323/222/32
  • Options

The polling "would you be more likely to vote for Party X if they did Y?" is some of the least reliable out there. Comparing them, doubly so.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Lib Dems should win Wimbledon when people in the constituency realise they're clearly the best competition. Kensington will probably remain split allowing the Tories to win.

Wimbledon does include some fairly working class bits of Merton. Not very Cobynite, but may be a bit resistant to bar chart squeeze, much like Melton in my own constituency.
  • Options
    The tactical choice in those London seats is to vote Lib Dem then
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Sandpit said:

Stand by for a number of the Shad Cab on sofas tomorrow morning arguing differently.
    Don't forget the caveat, "if Britain votes to leave", when the Labour party will first try really really hard to get a better deal than Boris, before campaigning to remain. Given they will sign up to pretty much BINO, with single market etc etc etc, they will be tied into accepting FOM, even if the nasty British public again say they do actually want to leave.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    nico67 said:

The deltapoll constiuency polls show a confused REMAIN vote. Even if Labour close the gap will people vote tactically in the "right" way to stop a tory majority?

Doubtful
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited November 2019
    Jason said:

Free everything with Labour! Free weekly shopping from Sainsbury's next please.
  • Options
    Opinium shows the Tories would be in big trouble in Remain seats then, if the Remain vote doesn't get split.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Con/Lab/LD 319/224/34
    After latest ComRes

Con/Lab/LD 320/225/32
    After latest Opinium

Con/lab/LD 323/222/32
    Lol
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    25% Lab to LD swing in Finchley. That's awfully close to Islington......
  • Options

Jason said:

Free everything with Labour! Free weekly shopping from Sainsbury's next please.
    Other than free petrol...as they will be restricting driving and flying.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Or herding.
  • Options

Opinium shows the Tories would be in big trouble in Remain seats then, if the Remain vote doesn't get split.

That’s one big if.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Any more polls this evening? And what time?

As I have work to do, at least for the next month until the communists deem me an evil capitalist pig.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Well that’s one view but to anybody with an ounce of intelligence the tactical choice is obvious. It won’t be tactical by 12/12 it will be the preferred option as labour keep digging deeper holes.
    I'm sorry, but I dont think you can say the tactical vote is obvious on these numbers. Not in the least

Even the very smart people making the tactical REMAIN models cant agree
  • Options
    RobD said:

That’s one big if.
    The biggest if I've probably ever made.
  • Options

Any more polls this evening?

Jesus man, you are insatiable.

:D
  • Options
    I'm stilling waiting for the YouGov MRP.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    No surprises though. Speaking as someone who knows China well. If Asia generally, and China specifically, is the future, it will unpleasant. Unless you hold the electrodes.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Labour are going south they will be sub 200 and in the 24/26 region their offer and leader are thirty years past their sell by date, not that the tories are any better but that’s politics
  • Options
    I live with 4 separate NHS dentists within a 10 min walk of me.

Scotland is better.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Outside Labour defences there is no doubt at all. Vote Lib Dem. :)
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Labour are going south they will be sub 200 and in the 24/26 region their offer and leader are thirty years past their sell by date, not that the tories are any better but that’s politics

33% in one poll this evening...
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Sir John Curtice has an article in the Telegraph saying that the comres has a 4% swing Lab to Tory which means the top 36 Lab/Tory marginals go Blue.
  • Options

I'm stilling waiting for the YouGov MRP.

End of the month.
  • Options
    I am reminded that the YouGov MRP, whilst almost totally magical, didn't do well in Scotland.
  • Options
    The Guardian article on the London polls suggest that Swinson is quite right to refuse to work with Corbyn. He's not very popular with Lib Dem voters!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    humbugger said:

The Guardian article on the London polls suggest that Swinson is quite right to refuse to work with Corbyn. He's not very popular with Lib Dem voters!

Middle class remainers with expensive properties in London and who generally have a globalist capitalist outlook don't like Jezza. I am shocked I tell you, shocked.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2019

As I have work to do, at least for the next month until the communists deem me an evil capitalist pig.

Martin Boon did promise a national Deltapoll out tonight too.
  • Options
    Somewhat paradoxically, the more Labour gains, the more they squeeze the Lib Dem vote and presumably the larger the Tory lead in these London seats. Oh dear dear dear
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Con/Lab/LD 319/224/34
    After latest ComRes

Con/Lab/LD 320/225/32
    Each poll has a 10% weight as it enters the calculations and decays exponentially at a 90% rate i.e. this poll will decay to 9% weight when another comes in and then to 8.1% weight and so on. It damps down noise but if there is a trend it will pick it up.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I am reminded that the YouGov MRP, whilst almost totally magical, didn't do well in Scotland.

This opinion wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact you also have a Scottish model (I’m ashamed to admit I forgot the acronym)? ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

1983 was 27.6%.

I could see them going lower but not up against Johnson.
    27.6% in the UK, 28.3% in GB.

Interesting that they were as high as 33% in the polls a few weeks before the election, as this video shows (at 15 secs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnjyAcHUkS4

• Options

Somewhat paradoxically, the more Labour gains, the more they squeeze the Lib Dem vote and presumably the larger the Tory lead in these London seats. Oh dear dear dear

More likely the squeeze is on Labour...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited November 2019

Definitely DeltaPoll/MOS and YouGov/Sunday Times (they usually appear after 9pm)

And as it's a general election Mega Polling Saturday there could be more of course... ;)
  • Options
    humbugger said:

The Finchley poll is very good for the Tories but the other 2 are knife edge. They are very poor for Labour and unfortunately Dent Coad is still in with a chance. Seeing her lose will be a highlight.

In my model, I have Finchley, Kensington and Wimbledon as Tory seats - in line with these constituency polls.

But you can bet your bottom dollar the LibDems are going to use these polls over the next three weeks to squeeze the Labour vote and it won't take much to tip them.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

I've always thought it was a sound strategy. Just that voters in these seats need to vote tactically.
  • Options

Well the spread is spreading out then again.

Opinium is extraordinary.

Those constituency polls are grim, showing the split vote.

Not the best moment to get into a new hobby like Labour Ramping?
  • Options
    Cor blimey O’Reilly.

Can we suspend the ban on the c-word so we can describe Xi as he deserves?
  • Options

Which it will
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458

I was unnecessarily rude to you earlier and I apologise. I felt your comment was overly simplistic. But should not have used the word stupid.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I live with 4 separate NHS dentists within a 10 min walk of me.

Scotland is better.

Without knowing where you live that’s meaningless. If you live in Golspie I will agree that’s impressive. If you live in Kilmarnock, less so.

I must have 10 in the equivalent distance of Cannock, although getting them to accept new NHS patients is hard work. But in Penkridge it would be rather fewer.
  • Options
    I wonder if we might not see a Lib Dem surge in London and the South West then. Johnson is in trouble if these polls continue to be positive - but my fear is that Labour starts to gain and these voters get further split.
This discussion has been closed.