Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Brexit divide within LAB’s GE2017 supporter base

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,342
    Figures aplenty from Ashcroft. Note inter alia:

"For voters as a whole, the most popular answer [to "What is the most important thing to happen?] is “more funding for public services like the NHS, schools, social care and the police,” followed by “action on a specific issue I care about other than Brexit,” and “having a good local MP, whatever their views on national politics.” “Getting Brexit done” was fourth overall..."

Now this isn't exactly fair, since that second option lumps everyone's favourite hobby-horses together. But it illustrates why some of us are finding that Brexit doesn't get raised on the doorstep much.

Note also that LibDem voters prefer Corbyn to Johnson by a 2-1 margin. But I'm cherry-picking - you'll find things to please Tories too.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/11/election-priorities-best-pm-preferred-government-trust-on-the-economy-best-party-on-brexit-introducing-my-general-election-dashboard/#more-16190

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Did find somebody today who hadn't voted since sticking his X against the Referendum Party.

Thought he would probably get off his arse and vote for Boris.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited November 2019
    TOPPING said:

Is this one of those Hitler looked so cute when he was sleeping things?

HITLER ?? !!

Between you and @Gabs2 we really are going some on the 'AS' this afternoon.

No, look, quite a tart joke actually, but I suspect you did not watch the video, so perhaps we ought to leave it there.

Give it a whirl, though, if you have a minute later on. You might be pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited November 2019

GIN1138 said:

Westminster Voting Intention:

CON: 42% (+3)
    LAB: 28% (+2)
    LDM: 15% (-2)
    BXP: 4% (-6)
    GRN: 4% (=)

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

In that poll, labour is squeezing the libs in equal measure, but the Cons are only getting three of the BXP's six.
    Not sure where the missing 3% has gone
    Stay At Home Party?
    Not sure if Sky have discussed this poll yet but I can imagine some very sour faces
    Yes, I'm sure SKY will be trying to keep this one under wraps... ;)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    camel said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

In the absence of anyone else mentioning the "squeeze"

The squeeze is on!

So we have one poll with the Conservatives 14 points in front and one with them 6 (or as Nick Palmer pointed out, 5.5) points in front.

What we can we conclude from this? Given MOEs, the lead is somewhere between 2.5 and 17. Not reassuring!

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

Stocky said:

nunu2 said: "Your in a safe Tory seat. Dr. Sarah is not going to win it."

So out of the defectors - Wollaston, Lee, Gyimah, Umunna, Sandbach, Berger, Angela Smith - who has the BEST chance of election? What odds all 7 fail?

Umunna has the best chance IMO followed by Gyimah. Wollaston will hopefully be toast because its a 2 way contest. The best Lib Dem gains of the above will be in 3 way marginals.
    I think Berger.
    It's possible but tough, I think the Labour and Lib vote will split fairly evenly here. Berger might make 2nd but with no BXP and Freer getting over 20,000 votes I don't think Berger's Jewisness and Remainyness is enough to get her over the line.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,725
    edited November 2019
    ralphmalph said: "I think Berger."

That could be a good spot - LibDems are slight odds-on to win that seat.

I wouldn`t back at those odds though. Libdems 6.6% in 2017 and 3.3% in 2015.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited November 2019

Did find somebody today who hadn't voted since sticking his X against the Referendum Party.

Thought he would probably get off his arse and vote for Boris.

There must be someone out there who hasn't voted since Natural Law 92!

Edit- or even better someone who says their last vote was for the Ecology Party
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

It is easy to like policies with no heed to cost and after todays freebies on education labour look like they are starting into their next 1.2 trillion

The cost of these policies is insane

It's not at all easy. I have to work at it.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Is there anything going on at SpIn with constituency bets? I placed one at the weekend but it is now 'suspended' and the whole market seems to have gone AWOL.
  • Options

The difference in all these polls is the tory figure. Labour are going to get 30 come what may. If the tories only get 35/36 they are in trouble, yougov thinks they will break 40 (which i just can't see).

Why not?

LD defectors spooked back and more brexit voters defecting to tories.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    blueblue said:

dr_spyn said:
    What has the food done to them ?!?
    LOL
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    I'm getting some very cryptic messages from CCHQ about tonight's party political broadcast.
    Saying it will be like ntg we have ever seen before...

Man the lifeboats
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    timmo said:

I'm getting some very cryptic messages from CCHQ about tonight's party political broadcast.

Man the lifeboats

Damp squib confirmed.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    timmo said:

Man the lifeboats

Are they going to broadcast that deepfake of Corbyn saying vote Tory?
  • Options
    RobD said:

timmo said:

Man the lifeboats

Damp squib confirmed.
    Let's just hope it's been EXTENSIVELY focus-grouped...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    timmo said:

Man the lifeboats

Boris the Movie?
  • Options
    Mr. 1983, the problem with the last manifesto wasn't not being focus grouped, it was being intensely and obviously stupid.

Anyway, I must be off. Play nicely, everyone. And let's hope the weather improves.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

The difference in all these polls is the tory figure. Labour are going to get 30 come what may. If the tories only get 35/36 they are in trouble, yougov thinks they will break 40 (which i just can't see).

Why not?

LD defectors spooked back and more brexit voters defecting to tories.
    LD defectors spooked back to Boris - I really can't see any doing that.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Figures aplenty from Ashcroft. Note inter alia:

"For voters as a whole, the most popular answer [to "What is the most important thing to happen?] is “more funding for public services like the NHS, schools, social care and the police,” followed by “action on a specific issue I care about other than Brexit,” and “having a good local MP, whatever their views on national politics.” “Getting Brexit done” was fourth overall..."

Now this isn't exactly fair, since that second option lumps everyone's favourite hobby-horses together. But it illustrates why some of us are finding that Brexit doesn't get raised on the doorstep much.

Note also that LibDem voters prefer Corbyn to Johnson by a 2-1 margin. But I'm cherry-picking - you'll find things to please Tories too.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/11/election-priorities-best-pm-preferred-government-trust-on-the-economy-best-party-on-brexit-introducing-my-general-election-dashboard/#more-16190

2017 Labour Leave voters prefer a Boris Government to a Corbyn government 54% to 46%.

2017 Tory Remain voters prefer a Boris Government to a Corbyn government 89% to 11%.

Brexit Party voters back a Boris Government to a Corbyn government by 91% to 9%.

2 thirds of Leave voters name getting Brexit done as their top priority, for Remain voters the top priority is the NHS

• Options
    HYUFD said:

timmo said:

Man the lifeboats

Boris the Movie?
    Boris and The Saj with a Blankety Blank chequebook and pen?
  • Options

Interesting stats in the Survation poll. Highlights:

* The lead is actually 5.5% (rounding to 6)
    * Certainty to vote declines in proportion to income - maybe not surprising, but worth noting.
    * Labour has a huge lead (10-16 points) among highly-educated people (levels 3-4) but is miles behind by a 2-1 margin among people with few or no qualifications.The archetypal Labour voter is a highly-educated person on a low income (yes, teachers and lecturers).
    * Georgraphical subsample fans will find the SNP rampant in Scotland and terrible Labour polling, but Labour doing very well in the Midlands.

cdn.survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/12123703/6th-8th-November-Survation-Voting-Intention.xlsx

The objections to geographical sub-samples apply to other types of sub-samples too. As do the merits.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    (Not a serious post.)

There are some odd photos emerging of EdM following Corbyn around. He looks a broken man. Reminds me of that character in GoT - Greyjoy I think. Alarming!
  • Options
    The Herald is about to buy The Scotsman.*

Unionists eat Unionists. Patriots point and laugh.

(*according to BBC Radio Scotland; hilariously they added the detail that The Scotsman “wasn’t worth much” :smiley:
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Omnium said:

(Not a serious post.)

There are some odd photos emerging of EdM following Corbyn around. He looks a broken man. Reminds me of that character in GoT - Greyjoy I think. Alarming!

Theon Greyjoy aka Reek
  • Options

(*according to BBC Radio Scotland; hilariously they added the detail that The Scotsman “wasn’t worth much” :smiley:

My sister used to work for the Scotsman in the early sixties
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Omnium said:

(Not a serious post.)

Theon Greyjoy aka Reek
    That's the fella.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

That Tory lead almost exactly matches Thatcher's 42.4% to 27.6% lead over Foot in 1983 except with the LDs polling 10% lower than the SDP/Alliance did. That is Tory landslide territory but obviously a long way to go
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

This is after removing TBP as an option in CON-held seats.

CON should obviously be happy about the headline numbers, but it should be a disappointment that they're getting so little benefit from TBP being taken out compared to LAB. Since it's all CON-held seats TBP are leaving (not just marginals), the CON uplift will disproportionately consist of voters in safe CON seats
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

That Tory lead almost exactly matches Thatcher's lead over Foot in 1983 except with the LDs polling 10% lower than the SDP/Alliance did. That is Tory landslide territory but obviously a long way to go
    Talks of landslides unnerve me and maybe you a little bit

Farage's move looks like a huge moment but until the results are revealed I intend keeping my feet on the ground.

That old expression 'once bitten, twice shy' comes very much to mind
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Quite marked differences in the Green vote. 4% in the YouGov and just 1% in the Survation .

I think the Lib Dems are in a bit of trouble . Looking at the Ashcroft poll. 92% of Labour Remainers from 2017 would rather see a Corbyn government .

I still think the Lib Dems will be lucky to poll 12% by the GE , I’d go as low as 10% , the BP not standing in Tory seats is going to make life much more difficult for them .

I’d like to see them do well but I think things are moving against them .
  • Options

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

CON should obviously be happy about the headline numbers, but it should be a disappointment that they're getting so little benefit from TBP being taken out compared to LAB. Since it's all CON-held seats TBP are leaving (not just marginals), the CON uplift will disproportionately consist of voters in safe CON seats
    I do not think it is possible to know the exact effect of Farage's decision

I would expect that Farage's tacit approval of Boris deal is likely to see more break conservative than to labour
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

That Tory lead almost exactly matches Thatcher's 42.4% to 27.6% lead over Foot in 1983 except with the LDs polling 10% lower than the SDP/Alliance did. That is Tory landslide territory but obviously a long way to go
    Indeed.

Tory average lead (last 6 polls) 30 days before GE19 = 11.5%
    Tory average lead (last 6 polls) 30 days before GE17 was 18.2%
  • Options

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

That poll gives a Tory landslide and is up to date, Survation is out of date as it was taken before Farage's announcement he was standing down BXP candidates in Tory seats.

Hence the BXP were on 10% with Survation and the Tories on 36% but the BXP only on 4% with Yougov and the Tories on 42%
  • Options
    edited November 2019

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

That Tory lead almost exactly matches Thatcher's lead over Foot in 1983 except with the LDs polling 10% lower than the SDP/Alliance did. That is Tory landslide territory but obviously a long way to go

Farage's move looks like a huge moment but until the results are revealed I intend keeping my feet on the ground.

The difference is Boris is ruthless, charismatic and can campaign unlike poor Theresa and will not do gaffes like the Dementia Tax
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Indeed.

To be honest I do not see this GE following the 2017 one
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

RobD said:

timmo said:

Man the lifeboats

Damp squib confirmed.
    Let's just hope it's been EXTENSIVELY focus-grouped...
    Boris takes off his energy maske......he's actually Cameron all this time!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    We are still not under ‘fair’ news representation rules they only kick in on Friday. Will it make a difference I don’t know but Tory rampers for labour are doing a good job to scare people back to the blue side you see that on here most nights. They could be 15% in front but they will still tell you that the only way to avoid corbyn is vote for the amoral lying PM
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Indeed.

Nor do I. But it will be interesting to see where it differs.

The Tory lead started to crumble 21 days ahead of the 2017 GE.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679

kinabalu said:

Yes, you seem comfortable with supporting an extremist who wants to set classes against each other, threatens the absolute fundamentals of our national security and would take a scorched-earth approach to our economy, destroying any wealth and property that didn’t escape out the door first.

I’ve made my views on your support of that and desire to campaign for it very clear.

But I like the policies, is the point. Most of them anyway. Your description is merely a projection of your deeply subjective opinion that they will be disastrous. You said it's all "tribal". That is nonsense. It's about the policies.

I can prove it to you.

Imagine Labour were offering big tax and spending cuts, NHS privatization and tight limits on immigration, and the Cons were offering increased tax & spend, more open borders and nationalization of the utilities.

I would vote Con. Of course I would.

Policies.

See?
    It is easy to like policies with no heed to cost and after todays freebies on education labour look like they are starting into their next 1.2 trillion

It would be a more convincing argument if the Tories principal policy wasn't going to have an adverse impact of around 6% of GDP.

Choose your economic poison, or choose Lib Dems.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Indeed.

2017 isn't the only recent election.

Do you have the comparison for before GE15?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

The difference is Boris is ruthless, charismatic and can campaign unlike poor Theresa and will not do gaffes like the Dementia Tax
    Agreed, Boris’s gaffes will be completely different, but no less damaging. He is certainly ruthless.
  • Options

In the early sixties it was still a great national institution. The grave, authoritative voice of paternalist Scotia.

Still was in the early seventies and eighties.

Now it is less serious than Viz and less authoritative than The Star.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Good news for YOUGOV!

A few hours ago all us CONS on here were predicting CORBYN maj! Nasty Survation!!!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Indeed.

No GE follows the previous one, except perhaps 2001 which is an oddity. Largely speaking they are their own self-contained events, and pollsters have also usually changed or tweaked their methodology for each.

I think the only thing I feel confident in predicting this time around is that it won’t be a Labour wipeout. That doesn’t mean the party won’t do badly.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, you seem comfortable with supporting an extremist who wants to set classes against each other, threatens the absolute fundamentals of our national security and would take a scorched-earth approach to our economy, destroying any wealth and property that didn’t escape out the door first.

I’ve made my views on your support of that and desire to campaign for it very clear.

But I like the policies, is the point. Most of them anyway. Your description is merely a projection of your deeply subjective opinion that they will be disastrous. You said it's all "tribal". That is nonsense. It's about the policies.

I can prove it to you.

Imagine Labour were offering big tax and spending cuts, NHS privatization and tight limits on immigration, and the Cons were offering increased tax & spend, more open borders and nationalization of the utilities.

I would vote Con. Of course I would.

Policies.

See?

It would be a more convincing argument if the Tories principal policy wasn't going to have an adverse impact of around 6% of GDP.

Choose your economic poison, or choose Lib Dems.
    LibDems are the post-war consensus party. But clearly hardly anyone is choosing that.
  • Options

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

In that poll, labour is squeezing the libs in equal measure, but the Cons are only getting three of the BXP's six.
    Not sure where the missing 3% has gone
    I think it emphasises the point that BXP voters include a chunk of labour voters who can't/won't vote tory so when the BXP option is taken away, they go back home to the reds. We all know the BXP voters aren't just a simple chunk who will swing in to the Blue team if not given the BXP option...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,792
    Ok, this is definitely a very minor political story in the context of today, but of all the ones that there have been it seems one of the stupidest - why are the Tories considering selecting a convicted criminal (and a very recently convicted one) as their candidate in Ynys Mon? I'd rather think picking him for the recall by-election was all the personal loyalty that need be shown.
  • Options

In the early sixties it was still a great national institution. The grave, authoritative voice of paternalist Scotia.

It was a national institution and she left it and went to 'Jenners' another Princes Street institution of it's day and just at the time my dear wife and I got engaged below the Scott Monument in Princes Street gardens

So many happy memories of 'Auld Reekie'
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Ave_it said:

Good news for YOUGOV!

A few hours ago all us CONS on here were predicting CORBYN maj! Nasty Survation!!!

The other day someone was predicting that Watford might escape relegation...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993

Neil took it down the drain
  • Options
    Even the first JC was denied three times by supporters.

That's a paraphrase of a real comment on LabourList in the 2017 election, I hope as a parody.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Tories on 42% but when are they going to start their campaign?? Been non-existent.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Indeed.

Was that around the time of the loony we'll take away pensioner benefits " message?
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Good news for YOUGOV!

A 6% Tory lead with Survation is about the same as Cameron's 2010 and 2015 leads, hardly Corbyn majority
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Indeed.

1-2 more weeks, and I think we can be pretty confident of whether this is 2017 all over again or not.
  • Options
    I can't imagine PP broadcasts will have the impact they once did (if they ever did). In the era os smarts TVs, Netflix, etc, who is going to sit and listen to a message they are not receptive to? How many minds will it change?
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Good news for YOUGOV!

Spurs fans are looking over our shoulders at them....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Agreed, Boris’s gaffes will be completely different, but no less damaging. He is certainly ruthless.
    They won't be as he will promise tax cuts and more spending not tax rises and spending cuts and with delivering Brexit on top that is all that matters to swing voters
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    nico67 said:

Quite marked differences in the Green vote. 4% in the YouGov and just 1% in the Survation .

I think the Lib Dems are in a bit of trouble . Looking at the Ashcroft poll. 92% of Labour Remainers from 2017 would rather see a Corbyn government .

I still think the Lib Dems will be lucky to poll 12% by the GE , I’d go as low as 10% , the BP not standing in Tory seats is going to make life much more difficult for them .

I’d like to see them do well but I think things are moving against them .

I'm sure they'll be squeezed nationally, but not as much as last time thanks to the Brexit and Corbyn factors. But they need to maintain a good national campaign to stop votes ebbing away in their 80 target seats. They need to maintain an average of 25-30% in those seats, and let local campaigning do the rest. I still think they'll get 30 seats, although Farage's decision has obviously made it harder.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Indeed.

1-2 more weeks, and I think we can be pretty confident of whether this is 2017 all over again or not.
    I think the first debate in a weeks time will tell us a lot.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    POEMWAS - Ed Miliband looks very fed up. World class eye rolling.

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1194292515010158592
  • Options

Tories on 42% but when are they going to start their campaign?? Been non-existent.

Plenty of us have been canvassing and leafleting in marginals, me included and Boris is also touring the country and launched the campaign last week with a Birmingham rally.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

Good news for YOUGOV!

A 6% Tory lead with Survation is about the same as Cameron's 2010 and 2015 leads, hardly Corbyn majority
    :lol:

• Options
    It's the John Crace sketch - not sure it's necessarily meant to convey the official Grauniad view, just saying.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Mayor Pete takes the lead in Iowa.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/home
  • Options
    Any SLab-activists out there? Behold and weep:

Best prices - Rutherglen and Hamilton West (Gerard Killen, Scottish Labour & Co-operative)

SNP 1/5 (shortening)
    SLab 7/2
    SCon 33/1
    SLD 50/1

(I remember when this was a Tory seat.)
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I can't imagine PP broadcasts will have the impact they once did (if they ever did). In the era os smarts TVs, Netflix, etc, who is going to sit and listen to a message they are not receptive to? How many minds will it change?

Quite. Gaffes can have effect, but the positive stuff is harder to make effective.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Indeed.

Was that around the time of the loony we'll take away pensioner benefits " message?
    The 2017 voting stats suggest that the pensioners lapped it up. Their grandchildren were appalled!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Indeed.

I will wait until Friday 13th of all days. It sure is going to be unlucky for many but who
  • Options
    camel said:

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Indeed.

The 2017 voting stats suggest that the pensioners lapped it up. Their grandchildren were appalled!
    really?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

They won't be as he will promise tax cuts and more spending not tax rises and spending cuts and with delivering Brexit on top that is all that matters to swing voters
    "...tax cuts and more spending..."

Whatever happened to sound financial management?
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Good news for YOUGOV!

Indeed a lot of my mates are Spurs fans, its been a golden season for taking the mick...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Apparently even though May was not a real Brexiter and was a terrible campaigner, and Boris is supposed to not have either flaw, he still cannot win without also going on a populist spending spree. It's the proof that even some of his staunchest supporters do not think he is awesome as they project.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Mayor Pete takes the lead in Iowa.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/home

I love american primaries, everyone gets their turn in the spotlight, however momentarily.

The only downside is how bloody long the process is.
  • Options

It was a national institution and she left it and went to 'Jenners' another Princes Street institution of it's day and just at the time my dear wife and I got engaged below the Scott Monument in Princes Street gardens

My mum and I visited Jenners last week. She is a former loyal, regular customer. She was absolutely horrified. The brand name might survive (briefly), but the institution is stone dead. Tragic to witness.

Edinburgh is a conundrum. So much is outstanding. So much is total shite.

Don’t get me going on what they were doing under the Scott Monument.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Unemployment is half 2010 levels and the deficit is down but a populist campaign is needed to win, more 2017 pain will lose
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Ave_it said:

Good news for YOUGOV!

Indeed a lot of my mates are Spurs fans, its been a golden season for taking the mick...
    Watford right back in contention! We are going to wear our Corbyn masks for all future games to scare off the opposition!

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

Good news for YOUGOV!

He doesn't need a majority to scupper things for the Tories, although obviously the Tories would be happy to take a 6% lead compared to last time.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Quite. Gaffes can have effect, but the positive stuff is harder to make effective.
    Agreed. Unless someone can come up with a video (PP broadcast or not) that goes viral for some reason.
  • Options
    Tipping point.

David Coburn has announced he will now be supporting the BJ party in the GE.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited November 2019

My mum and I visited Jenners last week. She is a former loyal, regular customer. She was absolutely horrified. The brand name might survive (briefly), but the institution is stone dead. Tragic to witness.

We visited a few months ago and is it does look tired in parts but the City is still magic to us
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Besides, the 2015 Green Party musical number PPB has yet to be topped. What have the others got? Some cliched lines everyone has heard a million times before, things that are only scandals if not already an opponent, and maybe some celebrity saying how if you were raised decently like them, you'd vote for X?
  • Options

Tipping point.

That's the crucial Bam demographic tied up then.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Neil took it down the drain
    Yepp. A journalist of very little brain.
  • Options

Tipping point.

Who?
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Good news for YOUGOV!

Watford right back in contention! We are going to wear our Corbyn masks for all future games to scare off the opposition!
    I was at the Watford game on Friday night. We were awful and made them look better that they were. in 7 games Norwich have conceded 16 goals and scored 2 consolation goals. We even manage to make ManUre look good the other week
  • Options
    PierrotPierrot Posts: 112

Mr. Pierrot, sorry for the late reply, but is a Con majority actually 1.06?!

Apologies - I typed that wrong. I meant the Tories winning most seats. The back price was 1.06 when I posted. It's now 1.07.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,955
    nichomar said:

We are still not under ‘fair’ news representation rules they only kick in on Friday. Will it make a difference I don’t know but Tory rampers for labour are doing a good job to scare people back to the blue side you see that on here most nights. They could be 15% in front but they will still tell you that the only way to avoid corbyn is vote for the amoral lying PM

can you suggest a better way to avoid Corbyn?
  • Options

My great grandfather had the first electric vacuum cleaner in the city of Edinburgh.
    I have a very soft spot for the place. My grandmother spoke very precise Morningside (I was going to say broad Morningside, but Morningside isn't broad) her whole life, even 50 years after leaving the place.
  • Options
    Useful corrective to all the piss and wind we spout in here and on Twitter. (Not sure of the source.. just saw the image tweeted). Bit sad really!

https://twitter.com/duncanrobinson/status/1194318050788610056?s=20
  • Options

Useful corrective to all the piss and wind we spout in here and on Twitter. (Not sure of the source.. just saw the image tweeted). Bit sad really!

And let's face it, at least a couple of Mogg's points will be by virtue of people having heard of him.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

My great grandfather had the first electric vacuum cleaner in the city of Edinburgh.
    I have a very soft spot for the place. My grandmother spoke very precise Morningside (I was going to say broad Morningside, but Morningside isn't broad) her whole life, even 50 years after leaving the place.
    I stayed in digs in Morningside in 1960
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I know the dialect, and the societal niche, very well. I was brought up in the Braid Hills and know Morningside like the back of my hand.

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, the old Morningside is long dead. I can’t even face visiting the place now.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

And let's face it, at least a couple of Mogg's points will be by virtue of people having heard of him.
    My take on it is it may seem Another day when Tories vacated the battlefield and allowed opponents to put ideas out there, but there were key moments about today that clearly points to the result.

In case you missed it, Guardian pretty sceptical how it is going for Corbyn today, trying to break it gently to their readership that the bubble has burst and he’s going to lose big

“just anecdotally, the atmosphere is warm here, but the audience doesn’t seem quite as big, as young or as lively as the most memorable Labour events I went to during the 2017 campaign. Back then, some Corbyn fans were coming from miles around just to get a glimpse of their man. Labour campaigners I chatted to here said they were finding a lot of “undecideds” on the doorstep. Perhaps enthusiasm will build as we get closer to 12 December?”

Luke warm atmosphere, small crowds, voters in key seats in Blackpool politely uncommitted on the doorstep contrasts will the oomph, excitement, big crowds and star quality Boris is drawing in his grand tour. A picture is beginning to emerge now of the final result, isn’t it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Stocky said:

nunu2 said: "Your in a safe Tory seat. Dr. Sarah is not going to win it."

So out of the defectors - Wollaston, Lee, Gyimah, Umunna, Sandbach, Berger, Angela Smith - who has the BEST chance of election? What odds all 7 fail?

All fail.
    While that's probably true, you're missing the fun here.

Rank the defectors by size of loss, in votes. Use a negative number to indicate a win.

I can then work out who got closest, and send a prize :-)

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

POEMWAS - Ed Miliband looks very fed up. World class eye rolling.

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1194292515010158592

Why is Corbyn wearing a poppy? Doesn't remembrance end on the 11th? If this were Johnson I imagine the Twitter fringe would be saying this proves it's old footage and he didn't really visit twice...
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

camel said:

HYUFD said:

Via @YouGov, 11-12 Nov.
    Changes w/ 7-8 Nov.

Indeed.

really?
    That wasn't my recollection; it stopped my mum voting Tory (she's 76).
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Good news for YOUGOV!

I was at the Watford game on Friday night. We were awful and made them look better that they were. in 7 games Norwich have conceded 16 goals and scored 2 consolation goals. We even manage to make ManUre look good the other week
    Spludgfish - I suspect we will both be in the Championship next season. But hopefully it will be Villa, Southampton and someone else instead!
This discussion has been closed.