Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first morning of the official campaign period in three Twe

123457»

Comments

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Foxy said:

Neither Kendall nor Ashworth had any connection with Leicester prior to election, but both have fully committed to the city.

Leicester is famously welcoming to outsiders wanting to make their homes here. I accept some other parts of the country less so.

I notice that you omitted the name of the third Labour MP for Leicester. LOL.

The one who has the flat in London needing urgent decoration at 1.00 am in the morning.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

alb1on said:

Foxy said:

And every now then, some Weapons Grade Idiot complains that the voice of London is not heard.
    Except that she was selected by the local CLP, not parachuted in, and now she's being chucked out by London-based apparatchiks, according to her on trumped-up allegations without due process.
    I am completely opposed to still more representation for London.

One of the most serious disconnects is between London/the South East and the rest of the UK.

And nothing, nothing makes more enraged than to see that the LibDems have found another Londoner to represent Wales.
    While I do like local people for local places, we are not trees that cannot be moved. It is quite a common phenomenon for folk to move to London to study, then work, then move back to the regions. Indeed I did.

MPs willing to adopt and go native in their new home are fine. Liz Kendall and Jon Ashworth in Leicester are fine examples, while Treddinick has represented Bosworth but never lived anywhere near.
    It has yet to be shown that Sally has any connection with Nottinghamshire.

Or even Leicestershire.

I think issues such as getting a representative mix of MPs (whether via gender or ethnicity or profession or geography) are very important.

I think, given that one of the driver of Brexit is the division between the wealthy and the left-behind parts of the country, it is very important that the left-behind parts are properly represented.

Properly represented by themselves, not by Londoners talking on their behalf.
    You have still failed to address the point that she was the choice of the local people, who have been usurped by London.
    Thank you. I think if you read the selection process, it was badly flawed.

The selection process should be re-run, with candidates that have a demonstrable connection to Bassetlaw.
    More flawed than a process which imposes an unwanted candidate on a local party by a central body with no local connections?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    Hey fellers! How about being sociable and joining the

New Thread

we’re all enjoying?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    alb1on said:

alb1on said:

Foxy said:

And every now then, some Weapons Grade Idiot complains that the voice of London is not heard.
    Except that she was selected by the local CLP, not parachuted in, and now she's being chucked out by London-based apparatchiks, according to her on trumped-up allegations without due process.
    I am completely opposed to still more representation for London.

One of the most serious disconnects is between London/the South East and the rest of the UK.

And nothing, nothing makes more enraged than to see that the LibDems have found another Londoner to represent Wales.
    While I do like local people for local places, we are not trees that cannot be moved. It is quite a common phenomenon for folk to move to London to study, then work, then move back to the regions. Indeed I did.

MPs willing to adopt and go native in their new home are fine. Liz Kendall and Jon Ashworth in Leicester are fine examples, while Treddinick has represented Bosworth but never lived anywhere near.

Or even Leicestershire.

I think issues such as getting a representative mix of MPs (whether via gender or ethnicity or profession or geography) are very important.

I think, given that one of the driver of Brexit is the division between the wealthy and the left-behind parts of the country, it is very important that the left-behind parts are properly represented.

You have still failed to address the point that she was the choice of the local people, who have been usurped by London.

The selection process should be re-run, with candidates that have a demonstrable connection to Bassetlaw.
    More flawed than a process which imposes an unwanted candidate on a local party by a central body with no local connections?
    I have told you what I think should happen.

As you are a LibDem, perhaps I can respectfully suggest that you try and ensure that you get someone from Wales to stand for Welsh seats.

That is, if "Welsh Libdems" means something that is not synonymous with "London LibDems".
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Meanwhile, in revisionist bullshit news:
    https://twitter.com/holland_tom/status/1192095471277359105

It would be rather difficult to discuss history without using terms used at the time, or for most history in discussing it.
    Like BC and AD?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

It won't be at this GE but over the next few, I think we will begin to see a rise of far more radical parties. It won't be Left vs Right. The likes of the Tories ,Lib Dems and Labour will be going backwards. I'm going to predict that XR will become a political party, and the Greens will gain more traction. Young people are becoming more politically aware, Greta Thunberg has become a role model for the youn'g 'uns and there will be wave upon wave of them reaching voting age.
    We're dinosaurs on PB, either got our head down eating grass or in petty squabbles with other raptors. That comet is on it's way, we just can't see it in the glare of the sun.

What are your views on Rees-Mogg?
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

Foxy said:

Or even Leicestershire.

I have told you what I think should happen.

As you are a LibDem, perhaps I can respectfully suggest that you try and ensure that you get someone from Wales to stand for Welsh seats.

That is, if "Welsh Libdems" means something that is not synonymous with "London LibDems".
    Don't be touchy. Your preference is irrelevant given what Labour has imposed on the CLP. And, for information, although I will vote LD (in Guildford it is them or the Conservatives) I am not a member.
This discussion has been closed.