Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden drops to FOURTH in Iowa in by far his worst poll of his

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of the Democratic nomination...

Let's look back to the end of October 2003, with just three months or so until the Iowa caucuses.

Howard Dean, a populist left winger from New England, with a consumer protection bent, was leading the polls with 29%. Eight points behind him was the elderly face of the establishment, House Majority Leader, Dick Gephardt on 21%.

There were then three candidates in single digits, but on 5% or more: Wesley Clark, John Kerry and John Edwards.

Six weeks later at the beginning of December, things had not changed much. Dean was 26%, Gephardt on 22%. Edwards had slipped back to 5%, while Kerry was marooned on 9%.

Then Iowa came around. Based on national polling, Dean was widely expected to win Iowa.

In reality, Dean came a distant third in Iowa, behind Edwards and Kerry.

And the contest became a fight between Edwards and Kerry - two candidates who had been twenty points off the pace before Iowa.

Was Iowa when 'the Scream' occurred?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533

justin124 said:

No sign of the Opposition parties being inclined to vote for the election motion.The Green , LDs , ChangeUK and many Labour MPs will vote against or abstain.

It is both sad and amusing to see the succession of Opposition MPs parading in front of the cameras to come up with their desperate excuses for why they don't want an election. Of course none of them will mention the real reason - that they are frightened of the verdict of the voters.
    They should take a leaf out of the PB Lefties on here who have accepted that under the current leadership with its current policies the Labour Party is unelectable.
  • Options

justin124 said:

No sign of the Opposition parties being inclined to vote for the election motion.The Green , LDs , ChangeUK and many Labour MPs will vote against or abstain.

It is both sad and amusing to see the succession of Opposition MPs parading in front of the cameras to come up with their desperate excuses for why they don't want an election. Of course none of them will mention the real reason - that they are frightened of the verdict of the voters.
    I they conspire to stop the GE or worse try to remove Boris I cannot imagine the fury heading their way in public opinion
    Tories get furious if Tory leader doesnt get his way shocker!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

More likely a desire to expose Johnson for what he is before voters are invited to express their views on him.
    So how is that going for you Justin? Seems like every time your lot try that the polls move even further against them.

I am not a great Johnson fan but he is certainly not being bothered by the stupid little games the Opposition keep trying to play. Clearly the public have more sense than you give them credit for.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

I they conspire to stop the GE or worse try to remove Boris I cannot imagine the fury heading their way in public opinion
    You may be in for a surprise there. In terms of sunset time 12th December is likely to be the darkest evening of the year - voters are not going to be desperately keen to have an election at that time.
    So far , the Opposition parties have refused to be bounced by Johnson.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    viewcode said:

Henry_C said:

Clever joke by JRM in the HOC just now: "I thought we were getting a ditch joke, to which I was going to say 'Ha-ha'." I doubt many MPs or members of the press lobby understood the pun!

A ha-ha is not a ditch.
    When reaching for a pun exact equivalents are hardly necessary.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Well let us see
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

More likely a desire to expose Johnson for what he is before voters are invited to express their views on him.
    I am not a great Johnson fan but he is certainly not being bothered by the stupid little games the Opposition keep trying to play.
    No, he's been playing his own stupid little games.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

They should take a leaf out of the PB Lefties on here who have accepted that under the current leadership with its current policies the Labour Party is unelectable.
    In which case they should get rid of him and replace him with someone who is electable. When the only person in the country more unpopular than the PM is the Leader of the Opposition we are completely screwed.
  • Options

justin124 said:

James Cleverly: "We would have fulfilled our pledge to leave the EU by October 31st if only the opposition had voted with us."

No idea if he had a straight face while saying it as it was on the wireless.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,083
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Henry_C said:

Clever joke by JRM in the HOC just now: "I thought we were getting a ditch joke, to which I was going to say 'Ha-ha'." I doubt many MPs or members of the press lobby understood the pun!

A ha-ha is not a ditch.
    Especially in the entrenched positions of the two sides in the current Grabenkrieg.
  • Options
    If any MPs are waiting on the extension request decision before the decide if to back an election, surely we're definitely getting one? If the EU is to react to events they won't rule out the date that parliament requested and which allows the PM to do what he wants - by definition it must be acceptable to both.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Henry_C said:

A ha-ha is not a ditch.
    It was a very good pun but probably didn't advance the Cons' man of the people positioning at all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I am not a great Johnson fan but he is certainly not being bothered by the stupid little games the Opposition keep trying to play.
    Refusing to take responsibility through an election is the ultimate stupid little game. They are cowards the lot of them.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Well let us see
    We will never know, if the GE is delayed then events between now and the subsequent GE will influence the results far more than whether they accepted an election on a particular date. If the election is agreed then its moot.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2019
    The opposition can only agree to have an election after October 31st has past (i.e. Start the process then, not an election date already agreed) . They can't agree before as that is handing Boris a massive majority.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,921

And yet his polling improved...

Everyone knows this is about a Parliament too frightened to actually do anything except try and hold the PM hostage and blame him for everything. It is a policy that has clearly failed and the longer they go on with it the worse it will get for them.

I disagree, Richard. As long as the prospect of leaving on 31/10 remains in the mind of voters (who may not be as clued up as we are and the "get ready" ads are still running) Boris will have his support but when he fails to deliver there will be questions asked and while Johnson's supporters will look round for someone else to blame, there will be those who will perhaps question Johnson's promises in the future as a result of his failure in the present.

I'd also argue the "policy" has succeeded - Johnson now looks weak and out of control of events. That's what harms a PM, not being wrong or getting it wrong - the loss of authority (whether symbolic or actual) matters and I think those keen on backing Johnson can see this authority slipping away with time.

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    kle4 said:

Henry_C said:

Clever joke by JRM in the HOC just now: "I thought we were getting a ditch joke, to which I was going to say 'Haha'." I doubt many MPs or members of the press lobby understood the pun!

I only know that because of Terry Pratchett, so I imagine a handful got it too.
    There is a Ha Ha Rd in Woolwich near where I used to work.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,221
    Chortle.

There will be an orgy of egg scraping from faces on here if so.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If any MPs are waiting on the extension request decision before the decide if to back an election, surely we're definitely getting one? If the EU is to react to events they won't rule out the date that parliament requested and which allows the PM to do what he wants - by definition it must be acceptable to both.

I expect the extension and wording has been agreed between Boris and Macron today and the statement is likely to be custom made to help Boris get his election
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Alistair said:

The opposition can only agree to an election after October 31st has past. They can't agree before. That is handing Boris a massive majority.

Having any election before Brexit has passed gives him a big majority. Holding up Brexit when a deal is there on the table, with majority parliamentary support, is going to kill Labour in leave seats.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,252
    Possibly I’m being dense.

But if the WA is passed in November and Brexit gets done, why the need for a GE?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

No sign of the Opposition parties being inclined to vote for the election motion.The Green , LDs , SNP, ChangeUK and many Labour MPs will vote against or abstain.

Someone earlier posted that the LDs would agree to it?
    Umunna implied it by saying that there weren't the votes for a second referendum in this Parliament and (mysteriously) this was Labour's fault. Logically, he must want a new Parliament.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

humbugger said:

Henry_C said:

blueblue said:

nico67 said:

On balance Labour must not pass the deal .

Going into the election with the deal going through will give Johnson a huge boost .

At least if the deal hasn’t gone through there’s s chance the Leave vote might still be split.

Agreed. That’s Labour’s only reasonable play now I think. If their vote is going to be split, they need to make sure the Tory vote is too.
    Labour are screwed either way - either they're blocking a deal that in the eyes of the general public will Get Brexit Done At Bloody Last without a crash-out, or they have to fight Boris immediately after he has Gotten Brexit Done At Bloody Last.

What they needed was for Boris to have to fight an election without having obtained a Deal - that was their only hope of victory.

Instead, by trying so hard to screw Boris via the Benn Act, they ended up screwing themselves much harder. Beautiful poetic justice! :smiley:
    I'm chuckling at the thought of Boris Johnson fighting an election saying he's just Got Brexit Done And Look How Great It Is. Good for Labour. As for the Tories saying Let's Get Brexit Done after they have been in office for three years since the referendum and haven't managed? Also good for Labour.

The Tories will fight the election on immigration, which for much of the population is what "Brexit" is code for anyway. They haven't got much else left.
    Presumably you'll be encouraging Labour to vote for a GE then? And good afternoon everyone.
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1187403937286148097
    Within 12 months Con were back with a landslide and the Liberal party was obliterated for the rest of the 20th Century.
    So perhaps this time Con will win a landslide, then within a year a year later the Liberals rise to a position not sen since the early 20th century? Since I believe elections are cyclical.
    That would be a bloody long cycle...
    Well it's not quite a longue duree, but of course the ebb and flow of politics would operate on longer cycles than a few years.
    25 years is about right

1950-1974 / 1974-1997 / 1997-2019 / 2019-
  • Options

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Refusing to take responsibility through an election is the ultimate stupid little game. They are cowards the lot of them.
    I think the cowardice is refusing to either pass a deal or decide on a referendum/revoke, giving up and asking the public again. In that sense all of the 2017 parliament have failed, and are cowards. They don't want the responsibility of making the decision.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Cyclefree said:

But if the WA is passed in November and Brexit gets done, why the need for a GE?

Because the government won't have a majority. Still.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    So, if an election will be refused, what do the EU ambassadors think tomorrow? No point in a longer extension?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,473
    Dec election drifting big time.

Jez taking same view as me perhaps?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

To give thanks and glory to dear leader Johnson. (Before the realities of Brexit set in).
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

Chortle.

What, while the cowardly Labour Party actively keep the Tories in power indefinitely because they're afraid of being wiped out? Really strong position you've got there :lol:
  • Options
    stodge said:

Everyone knows this is about a Parliament too frightened to actually do anything except try and hold the PM hostage and blame him for everything. It is a policy that has clearly failed and the longer they go on with it the worse it will get for them.

I disagree, Richard. As long as the prospect of leaving on 31/10 remains in the mind of voters (who may not be as clued up as we are and the "get ready" ads are still running) Boris will have his support but when he fails to deliver there will be questions asked and while Johnson's supporters will look round for someone else to blame, there will be those who will perhaps question Johnson's promises in the future as a result of his failure in the present.

I'd also argue the "policy" has succeeded - Johnson now looks weak and out of control of events. That's what harms a PM, not being wrong or getting it wrong - the loss of authority (whether symbolic or actual) matters and I think those keen on backing Johnson can see this authority slipping away with time.

I think Boris seems to be the only one in parliament who knows what he wants. It is Labour who are all over the place.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

Yup. They should just say that.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

No sign of the Opposition parties being inclined to vote for the election motion.The Green , LDs , SNP, ChangeUK and many Labour MPs will vote against or abstain.

Umunna implied it by saying that there weren't the votes for a second referendum in this Parliament and (mysteriously) this was Labour's fault. Logically, he must want a new Parliament.
    I am mystified why so many people vote supporters are horrified at the thought of a GE. This could just be their chance to get a remain parliament that would give them the referendum they so desire, indeed it may be the only way
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Lets see what the EU says tomorrow.

I expect they will confirm the extension is to give time to hold a GE

If no election and failed deal, no deal is the end result
    Then Johnson forgets to bring his election motion, labour don’t realize it’s all changed and Johnson gets his golden no deal win that he wanted all along (well he didn’t but his paymasters did)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
  • Options
    stodge said:

Clearly you are not talking to any Leave supporters. The fact that Boris has managed to get a deal and that it is only been blocked by Parliament because they don't want any sort of Brexit is what is angering Leavers. We are way passed the point at which any Leaver with the possible exception of Farage and Tice will make anything of this. Amongst Leave voters the hatred for Parliament and its games is all consuming.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    edited October 2019
    On topic. Wasn’t there recent poll with Biden romping away? Or was that poll mainly conducted in Ukraine?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    Cyclefree said:

So the LibDems can rejoin?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,252
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Because the government won't have a majority. Still.
    Given they’ve got their QS through and will have got the most contentious piece of legislation of many a year through, does that really matter?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Andrew said:

So, if an election will be refused, what do the EU ambassadors think tomorrow? No point in a longer extension?

Hopefully they'll say: "No election? Then no 3 months extension - here' s your last two weeks to pass the deal, then get lost."

And watch Labour cry when they realize what they've gotten themselves into.
  • Options
    I couldn’t really care less about anger in the public or Tory party if this election can is kicked into next year.

I’m just looking forward to the tortured climb downs from the likes of Gin and Big G on here!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

A Christmas party wrecking general election is utter insanity. It's so obviously a ruse knowing full well MPs will never vote for it.

Not to mention the fact it's so cold dark and wet. And what if we get a big freeze?

He may as well have proposed to hold it on Boxing Day.....

Do you think we’re a nation of people afraid of the cold?
    Bloody right we are.

Have you seen what happens when there's1cm of snow on the roads ??
    We don’t have centimeters any more it’s a fraction of a chain in future.
  • Options
    Yes. Probably got an agreement with Macron that if there isn't going to be a GE, he will force a short extension.
  • Options

Chortle.

Egg gets everywhere.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    It's the logic of the Brexit Party - they want Brexit so much, but will take action to block it happening if it doesn't go their precise way.

Honestly, it just looks bloody dumb to me. I get they want an election, I get that parliament will try to wreck the bill, but say you don't get that election: are you planning to just sit there? What's the point of that?

Oh, and a reminder the government via Raab and others said they had the votes to pass the bill. This stating they will not proceed with it is an open admission that they were lying.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Gabs2 said:

Yes. Probably got an agreement with Macron that if there isn't going to be a GE, he will force a short extension.
    You guys are putting a lot of faith in your collusion with a foreign leader.

Interesting.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Henry_C said:

A ha-ha is not a ditch.
    Indeed, most people couldn’t give a dam...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

Yup. They should just say that.
    Glad you agree!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    edited October 2019
    Cyclefree said:

The only way the WA might pass now through this Commons is if it is amended and a CU is added and Labour MPs from Leave seats and the DUP back it on that basis.

However that would please neither the Tories who would want the CU removed, nor the Brexit Party who want No Deal nor most Labour MPs and the SNP and Greens who would want a confirmatory referendum or the LDs who would want to revoke Art 50 altogether. Hence they will all want a GE
  • Options

I couldn’t really care less about anger in the public or Tory party if this election can is kicked into next year.

I’m just looking forward to the tortured climb downs from the likes of Gin and Big G on here!

You know one of the great attributes of anyone is to say I got it wrong

If it happens I will say I got it wrong
  • Options

stodge said:

Clearly you are not talking to any Leave supporters. The fact that Boris has managed to get a deal and that it is only been blocked by Parliament because they don't want any sort of Brexit is what is angering Leavers. We are way passed the point at which any Leaver with the possible exception of Farage and Tice will make anything of this. Amongst Leave voters the hatred for Parliament and its games is all consuming.
    Even ReLeavers are getting frustrated now.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

We're always being told there's more to focus on that Brexit, there would be a reason.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Gabs2 said:

Interesting.
    My collusion? I have never voted Tory. And it's not collusion when it's the PM doing it as part of official foreign policy.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

I am mystified why so many people vote supporters are horrified at the thought of a GE. This could just be their chance to get a remain parliament that would give them the referendum they so desire, indeed it may be the only way
    It is the dynamics of fixed term parliaments, it is rarely in both main parties interests to have an election on a particular date. The tories wouldnt have wanted one in the first half of the year and Labour dont want one in the second half of the year. At some point it might flip around again. The sweet spot where it suits both is pretty limited.
  • Options
    is the December Election a Burgon Conclusion

I take issue with media counting all the Conservative, Libdems, And SNP to work out the number of Labour needed to pass it. Abstentions are key aren’t they. And Actually to be fair, both main parties seem split whether a general election settles Brexit, or Brexit needs to be more settled for a general election? As one put it “My objection to a general election is one of principle in that with a general election the secret is in the name – it is general. It’s not and shouldn’t be about a single binary issue like Brexit.”

So how many conservative abstentions kills the Grinch Election?

labour. I don’t feel they all want one. Even if some at top want one In short or medium term I think vociferous support against will stop them supporting or whipping. They will probably say too much risk of no deal brexit.
    Libdems and SNP. They could put on seats. But the flip side is massive win for Boris so he can ram through his Brexit and domestic policy. The GE and Boris majority wouldn’t help their brexit fight one bit.
    Remain Parliament. Surely remain now have Boris and his deal where they want it? Even if Boris is right and we do leave under his deal, it may say this is Boris brexit at top of paper, but it can dramatically change under that. So what really good reason would remain Parliament have for surrendering that influence.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

Interesting.
    IANAL but conversations of the kind being suggested may well be illegal under the Benn act.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Gabs2 said:

Interesting.
    I thought they wanted to make that a treasonable offence?
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

GIN1138 said:

A Christmas party wrecking general election is utter insanity. It's so obviously a ruse knowing full well MPs will never vote for it.

Not to mention the fact it's so cold dark and wet. And what if we get a big freeze?

I think 5th December would have been better as 12th is a bit close to Christmas but if people want to vote they will vote (whatever the weather and whatever time it gets dark)

I have a feeling people will be very surprised by how high the turnout is in this election.
    Postal voting might get caught up in a GE close to xmas!
    Isn't there postal strike planned?

There will be now!
    Dunno about that, the leadership of the postal workers union are very pro Corbyn and the proposed strike action isn't about pay or pensions but about how the company is run.
    Xmas postal strikes will be about as popular with the public as a turd in a spacesuit especially if the public doesn't really know what they all about.
    Corbyn should be able to persuade his pals to delay strikes until the New Year to avoid giving Boris free ammunition.

• Options

There are two aspects - there is a WA which Parliament will accept (or did at Second Reading) but it simply wants time to carry out proper and appropriate scrutiny and the farcical notion such a key document should be rushed through Parliament in 72 hours just to satisfy one man's ego and promises is absurd.

The second is while I appreciate the pro-Government and pro-Johnson spin, there will also be the counter argument that Johnson made a promise and couldn't keep it. Some may wonder why he made the commitment if he thought it couldn't be kept and others might ask what other unachievable commitments and promises he has made - the one about making Britain "the greatest place on Earth" for example?

• Options

Quite so. Why be embarrassed about being wrong?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    nichomar said:
    They couldn't defeat the QS...
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    No point proceeding with the Bill with this HOC. It's all a game to the Remainers who will find reasons and devices to block it. The only exception to this is if the EU allows just a technical extension.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Well let us see
    We will never know, if the GE is delayed then events between now and the subsequent GE will influence the results far more than whether they accepted an election on a particular date. If the election is agreed then its moot.
    Quite
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    DeClare said:

GIN1138 said:

I think 5th December would have been better as 12th is a bit close to Christmas but if people want to vote they will vote (whatever the weather and whatever time it gets dark)

I have a feeling people will be very surprised by how high the turnout is in this election.
    Postal voting might get caught up in a GE close to xmas!
    Isn't there postal strike planned?

There will be now!
    Dunno about that, the leadership of the postal workers union are very pro Corbyn and the proposed strike action isn't about pay or pensions but about how the company is run.
    Xmas postal strikes will be about as popular with the public as a turd in a spacesuit especially if the public doesn't really know what they all about.
    Corbyn should be able to persuade his pals to delay strikes until the New Year to avoid giving Boris free ammunition.

Corbyn's authority for such things is pretty weak at the moment. He is being pushed around by other forces within his clique.
  • Options
    SNP say if Boris pulls the bill they will support the GE

Why continue with it
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Henry_C said:

A ha-ha is not a ditch.
    That's a moat point.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Alistair said:

The opposition can only agree to an election after October 31st has past. They can't agree before. That is handing Boris a massive majority.

Having any election before Brexit has passed gives him a big majority. Holding up Brexit when a deal is there on the table, with majority parliamentary support, is going to kill Labour in leave seats.
    No, triggering after the self imposed do or die deadline but before Brexit is done is the correct time. Shows Boris is powerless and a liar not to be trusted.

It is a slim window to hit.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nichomar said:
    We don’t have the full voting figures yet in terms of MPs . Bozo really wanted to lose that vote .

That would give him more ammunition for his election .
  • Options

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Henry_C said:

A ha-ha is not a ditch.
    That's a moat point.
    Good to see such levee-ty this evening.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

At my age I have been wrong on many occasions and admit so
  • Options
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

We don’t have the full voting figures yet in terms of MPs . Bozo really wanted to lose that vote .

Indeed - really curious to see who abstained. 310-294, there were 31 of them.

Edit:
    11 Lab abstainers, Allen and Lamb from LibDems.

Indies: Bebb Boles Clarke Hermon Paisley Lewis Nokes Stewart Woodcock and …. Williamson

…. and the whole of tigc
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Then it must be true.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,010
    To the ordinary voter, this will look like Johnson is delaying Brexit. Not a good look to his supporters.

To MPs, it will look like a bluff again. They'll have two choices. Revoke or call his bluff, sit on their hands and risk going over the cliff. (That's what I would do as he would be faced with catastrophe or having to revoke).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's the logic of the Brexit Party - they want Brexit so much, but will take action to block it happening if it doesn't go their precise way.

Honestly, it just looks bloody dumb to me. I get they want an election, I get that parliament will try to wreck the bill, but say you don't get that election: are you planning to just sit there? What's the point of that?

Oh, and a reminder the government via Raab and others said they had the votes to pass the bill. This stating they will not proceed with it is an open admission that they were lying.

They think they have a way to leave on 31/10 and hope they are refused the election. No idea what it is but they think it’s there.
  • Options
    Christ. Leave and Remain voters too. Would be pathetic, if not so terrible.
  • Options

Why continue with it

The problem for Boris is if he pulls the Brexit Bill and fails to get an election his authority and credibility will be in tatters.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2019
    Hmm, the article is remarkably coy about the exact questions asked. That's often a sign that the survey doesn't actually show what the article claims it shows. Let's hope that is the case here!
  • Options
    stodge said:

Why continue with it

The problem for Boris is if he pulls the Brexit Bill and fails to get an election his authority and credibility will be in tatters.
    Then must be very confident in getting an election, since after saying he'd pull it not doing so would shred any remaining credibility.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,187
    Momentum back an election, it seems .
  • Options
    Andrew said:

nico67 said:

Results here. commonsvotes.digiminster.com
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nichomar said:

That would give him more ammunition for his election .
    So now Labour policy is to deliberately let the Tories win votes in Parliament just so that they can put off an election a little longer?

Interesting place the Corbyn Project has taken us to! :lol:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It was less the wrong bit, it was the patronising nonsense from Gin that I’m looking forward to seeing retracted.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

Then it must be true.
    To be honest although the official Lib Dem Line is against an election the reality an election before leaving is the best result. The war chests are fuller than they have ever been and the Labour Party in the worst position possible. Time to go for it I think
  • Options
    Andrew said:

nico67 said:

Edit:

Indies: Bebb Boles Clarke Hermon Paisley Lewis Nokes Stewart Woodcock and …. Williamson

…. and the whole of tigc
    Curious why Allen and Lamb would do so.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925
    edited October 2019

justin124 said:

The Tories changed the rules and brought in the FTPA when it suited them, now, only a few short years later they are having a tantrum and throwing their toys out the pram because it no longer suits them. Hoist by their own petard seems to describe the situation perfectly. That and schadenfreude.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Henry_C said:

A ha-ha is not a ditch.
    That's a moat point.
    Good to see such levee-ty this evening.
    A rambla could be useful
  • Options
    Boris: My deal is amazing, and I have the votes to get it through, GE or no. But I'll only let you have it if you give me a GE.

Makes sense to someone I guess.
  • Options
    Well after all this maybe time to see what happens tomorrow.

I have no idea but I find it inconceivable the SNP and Corbyn would turn down an election

I cannot even start to imagine the gift to the Scons.

All their birthdays at once in making the SNP look frit
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Andrew said:

nico67 said:

Results here. commonsvotes.digiminster.com
    Most of DUP voted Aye.

Heidi Allen, Norman Lamb, Rory Stewart abstained.
  • Options
    Labour should agree an election but only on a one line bill with the date on that and the WAIB needs to be dropped until after the election .

If the deal was to go through before the election then Labour are screwed .

There are no good options but the only way they have any chance is to see the Leave vote split .
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andrew said:

nico67 said:

Edit:

…. and the whole of tigc
    Sorry am I reading this right? There were Labour abstentions on the Queen’s Speech?!
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    I'm now so confused I think it's time to take another politics holiday.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

nico67 said:

Edit:

…. and the whole of tigc
    Sorry am I reading this right? There were Labour abstentions on the Queen’s Speech?!
    And three Tory abstentions including Esther McVey. Could be pairing.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

nico67 said:

Edit:

…. and the whole of tigc
    Sometimes their paired or just away but Bozo secretly wanted to lose the vote . That’s why Cummings goaded some of the Tory rebels by a briefing saying those rebels who voted against the programme motion would never get the whip back , in the hope they would vote against the government.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Deal goes through then election == massive Tory Majority

Election triggered before October 31st October has passed == massive Tory Majority

Election triggered after Oct 31st with Brexit not sorted == Brexit Party resurgence.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Chris said:

Chris said:

If a Jan 31st extension and a 12th December GE are both confirmed, I can't see any great incentive for rebel ex-Tories and potential Labour supporters of the Boris deal to make it happen before the GE. The reasoning will surely be that if Boris gets his majority, the deal goes through probably as is, and if he doesn't they won't have lost anything because the next parliament could try to modify the deal.

If I'm right, that makes a December 31st Brexit pretty damned tight, perhaps impossible: the only way it could happen is if the new parliament gets it done and dusted in the week before Christmas. Also it has to be ratified by the European parliament. So I think we're now out to a January Brexit, predicated on a Boris win.

Anyone see any holes in this reasoning?

No, but what if the extension is shorter or he can't get support for an election?

In either case, it's feasible Brexit could go through in December.
    If the extension is shorter, then yes that would certainly change the conclusion, but I think it's quite unlikely. If the extension is until Jan 31st but Labour somehow manage to find an excuse not to back the GE, then I'd have thought Nothing Has Changed and it will all drag on into January.
    I don't follow that. There was a majority of 30 for Johnson's deal. I don't believe that was driven by the fear of No Deal on 31 October, because I think everyone assumed there would be an extension if needed. I don't see why the bill shouldn't pass.
    That majority was only for the second reading, and it's very likely that opposition to the deal at least on points of detail will mount as people look at it more and various organisations lobby MPs on the problems (such as with the NI-GB paperwork issue). So I can see it all getting bogged down again.
    I believe that in 1971 Ted Heath's majority to take us into the EEC dropped from 114 to <10 as amendments were added. Johnson doesn't have a majority of 114 at the start.
This discussion has been closed.