Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden drops to FOURTH in Iowa in by far his worst poll of his

Comments

• Options
    Henry_CHenry_C Posts: 73
    OllyT said:

Wankery update.

https://twitter.com/oflynnsocial/status/1187326059487924229?s=20

Though at least it inspired this response.

https://twitter.com/elizabethceast/status/1187360668430848000?s=20
    (yeah, yeah, I know the tiny TA-er isn't from Yorkshire)

Does anyone seriously believe a 4 year old did that?
    Unfortunately some Twitter readers do. Funny how all the people in the carriage apart from the four-year-old lad who uttered such a grammatically faultless compound-complex sentence were sitting down if they were Yorkshire people on a train pulling into Doncaster.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    edited October 2019
    RobD said:

philiph said:

https://order-order.com/2019/10/24/lib-dems-new-shameless-leaflet-claims/

I know it is Guido, but the bit about Chukka is as audacious as any economically truthful quote could ever be.

Guido is in no position to lecture anyone on being economical with the truth.
    Are you just shooting the messenger and not seeing the message?
    I see no problem with the message to be honest. Who cares?
    Hasn't a big theme on here recently about how Boris can't stop lying?
    Where’s the lie? Technically Chuka is a popular local MP.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

nico67 said:

If the EU want to get the deal through this is what they should do .

And this depends on Johnson doing the following.

He puts down a vote for Monday .

The EU then say the following tomorrow .

A one month extension to ratify but there will only be the extra two months if an election is called .

This forces MPs to either vote for the deal or the opposition to agree to an election on Monday.

And if Labour tables a VNOC - which passes?
    You may find in the next couple of hours that Boris calls for an election under the FTPA so irrelevant
    Not necessarily - under Commons rules a VNOC might expect priority -ie MPs would vote on that before considering any Election motion from Johnson.
    You do know the HOC is not sitting tomorrow and the FTPA will be laid in an emergency statement by Jacob Rees Mogg today if Boris is to call it
  • Options
    Henry_C said:

OllyT said:

Wankery update.

Unfortunately some Twitter readers do. Funny how all the people in the carriage apart from the four-year-old lad who uttered such a grammatically faultless compound-complex sentence were sitting down if they were Yorkshire people on a train pulling into Doncaster.
    I mean the whole “everyone erupted into applause” thing is literally a meme.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    It would be preposterous for the opposition to vote down the QS and then NOT VoNC the government.

They may as well gain some momentum and 'positive' press coverage.

Otherwise Labour wait until a GE is forced on them which is an incredibly weak starting point.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

nico67 said:

A one month extension to ratify but there will only be the extra two months if an election is called .

This forces MPs to either vote for the deal or the opposition to agree to an election on Monday.

You may find in the next couple of hours that Boris calls for an election under the FTPA so irrelevant
    Not necessarily - under Commons rules a VNOC might expect priority -ie MPs would vote on that before considering any Election motion from Johnson.
    You do know the HOC is not sitting tomorrow and the FTPA will be laid in an emergency statement by Jacob Rees Mogg today if Boris is to call it
    I do indeed - I am referring to what might happen on Monday.VNOC then would still get priority - if tabled.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Did we not see polling on the previous thread showing Warren dropping back with the effect that Biden was out front again (albeit not steaming ahead)? Think it might have been from Robert.

That was national polling, where Biden was still on 27-28%, but that Warren had dropped from parity to the low 20s.

Iowa is going to be crucial, because early results affect later ones.

In 2008, Guiliani's approach was the "Florida Firewall". He campaigned almost exclusively there, because willing Florida would catapult him into a delegate lead should he win there.

And at this stage in the 2008 promaries, he was on around 30%, with Mitt Romney and John McCain both registering 10% in Florida.

In every poll before Iowa, Guiliani was leading - usually with significant double digit leads.

Then Guiliani flopped in Iowa and then New Hampshire. And that was it. The mantle of leadership in Florida passed to Romney and McCain.
    You know who won Iowa in 2008 :) ?

Mick Huckabee :D
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    SunnyJim said:

It would be preposterous for the opposition to vote down the QS and then NOT VoNC the government.

Otherwise Labour wait until a GE is forced on them which is an incredibly weak starting point.

Agreed . Labour need to stop dithering. If the deal is so bad then they need to make that case to the country .

Perhaps that rumour over the French ambassador visiting no 10 was in relation to a possible GE.
  • Options

Henry_C said:

OllyT said:

Wankery update.

I mean the whole “everyone erupted into applause” thing is literally a meme.
    https://twitter.com/oflynnsocial/status/1187346436905676800?s=20
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Did we not see polling on the previous thread showing Warren dropping back with the effect that Biden was out front again (albeit not steaming ahead)? Think it might have been from Robert.

That was national polling, where Biden was still on 27-28%, but that Warren had dropped from parity to the low 20s.

In 2008, Guiliani's approach was the "Florida Firewall". He campaigned almost exclusively there, because willing Florida would catapult him into a delegate lead should he win there.

And at this stage in the 2008 promaries, he was on around 30%, with Mitt Romney and John McCain both registering 10% in Florida.

In every poll before Iowa, Guiliani was leading - usually with significant double digit leads.

Then Guiliani flopped in Iowa and then New Hampshire. And that was it. The mantle of leadership in Florida passed to Romney and McCain.

True that.

And actually there are a remarkable number of similarities between Huckabee and Buttigieg.

1. They're both pretty religious.
    2. They both have funny names.

There are obviously loads more, but I don't have time to share them right now.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

SunnyJim said:

Agreed . Labour need to stop dithering. If the deal is so bad then they need to make that case to the country .

Perhaps that rumour over the French ambassador visiting no 10 was in relation to a possible GE.
    Agreed. Enough faffing about. If Boris wants this then he needs own it in a GE campaign.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

You have an excellent point in so far as an election having to be forced on labour would be utterly dreadful for their prospects
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

nico67 said:

I do indeed - I am referring to what might happen on Monday.VNOC then would still get priority - if tabled.
    It would not pass, waste of time
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited October 2019

RobD said:

philiph said:

I know it is Guido, but the bit about Chukka is as audacious as any economically truthful quote could ever be.

As a Labour MP, he may not be a popular LibDem MP in that neck of the woods.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

SunnyJim said:

Interesting that Brexit is bringing about the closest European cooperation attempts in years

Grieve and Verhofstadt, Johnson and Macron, Daniel K and the Polish Gov't telling him to sod off.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    nico67 said:

This is actually a really good idea.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

nico67 said:

SunnyJim said:

Interesting that Brexit is bringing about the closest European cooperation attempts in years

Grieve and Verhofstadt, Johnson and Macron, Daniel K and the Polish Gov't telling him to sod off.
    Farage and Le Pen.
  • Options
    philiph said:

RobD said:

philiph said:

Only one way to find out!
  • Options

philiph said:

RobD said:

philiph said:

Only one way to find out!
    Which won't happen as he is off to Westminster for the next election.
  • Options
    Labour 6-4 in Streatham was one of the funniest offerings of the year.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    And in another shock development the Pope has revealed he is in fact Catholic! :D
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

nico67 said:

Thanks perhaps I need a job as a political advisor ! Lol

I think it makes sense . The EU is just reacting to the UK so it’s not like they’re interfering.

They can’t be blamed for no deal , it’s upto MPs . Either ratify or election its their choice.
  • Options
    Everyone ready for 1983 redux?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    nico67 said:

DanSmith said:

nico67 said:

I think it makes sense . The EU is just reacting to the UK so it’s not like they’re interfering.

They can’t be blamed for no deal , it’s upto MPs . Either ratify or election its their choice.
    Yeah exactly, No Deal is there as an option for the MPs to pick but they would have to turn down at least 2 reasonable alternatives to get there.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    GIN1138 said:

And in another shock development the Pope has revealed he is in fact Catholic! :D
    Its fair to say that the comments under the tweet aren't entirely sympathetic - and not in a homophobic sense.....
  • Options

To be honest I hadn't thought of that but will this be Boris's Falklands bounce

We may be about to find out
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Corbyn will come out as a leaver next.
  • Options
    Maybe Johnson will resign the Gov't if he loses Queen Speech. He'll probably win if he does that though lol
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094
    DanSmith said:

nico67 said:

It fails on rule No 1 of Brexit - No-one wants responsibility for Brexit.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,105
    nico67 said:

DanSmith said:

nico67 said:

But by saying that after Johnson announces hes going for an election, for realsies this time, they would be forcing him to vote against getting it done now, in a month. Sure we know he wants a GE but at the moment could u turn and seek to ratify. Announce after he gets the ball rolling and hes essentially opposing his own deal for a GE.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

nico67 said:

DanSmith said:

nico67 said:

Yeah exactly, No Deal is there as an option for the MPs to pick but they would have to turn down at least 2 reasonable alternatives to get there.
    The EU are thoroughly fed up and who can blame them .

They need this resolved . And those options are fair IMO .
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    The Buttigieg strategy is to win Iowa, and to use the boost in the polling to replace Biden as the moderate candidate.

For this to work, Biden needs to come third (or worse) in Iowa and New Hampshire.

If Biden beats Buttigieg in Iowa, it's all over for Buttigieg, and the nomination will be a battle between Warren and Biden.

If it's Warren-Buttigieg-Biden, then it's still probably going to be a Warren-Biden fight, because Biden should win South Carolina.

But if it's Buttigieg-Warren-Biden (or even Buttigieg-Warren-Sanders), then I think Biden is going to find it much harder. There is a huge amount of evidence that in Primary elections, early results influence later ones. And there are also a lot of moderate supporters of Booker, O'Rourke, Kloubachar and others who will need to find new homes.

So, to become nominee, Buttigieg has to win Iowa. I think it's probably a 40% shot for him. And he then has to beat Warren to the nomination, which is probably a 33% shot.

In other words, he should be around 8-1. If he keeps moving up in the Iowa and national polls, then those numbers will have to be tweaked.
  • Options
    If there is a 2019 election, @AlastairMeeks is gonna have some explaining to do...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,233
    Just on a train pulling into Sheffield. A four-year old has just stood up and said "Hey you southern snobs, Boris didn't send the letter." Everyone erupted into applause.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

True that.

And actually there are a remarkable number of similarities between Huckabee and Buttigieg.

Yes, but Huckabee is very tall and Mayor Pete is a little person.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Remember, Remember The 5th Of December! :D
  • Options

No. I really would have hoped this time theyd settle Brexit prior to an election. It's going to be hellish even by recent standards.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

Landslide Tory Majority?

Honestly unlikely nowadays, as much as I would like to see it
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

DanSmith said:

nico67 said:

But by saying that after Johnson announces hes going for an election, for realsies this time, they would be forcing him to vote against getting it done now, in a month. Sure we know he wants a GE but at the moment could u turn and seek to ratify. Announce after he gets the ball rolling and hes essentially opposing his own deal for a GE.
    No because the EU are simply responding to the situation in the UK.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:
    Come on. This is Twitter. Do you think we get detail?

It’s probably not even true.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

DanSmith said:

nico67 said:

No because the EU are simply responding to the situation in the UK.
    But in a way which makes him either u turn or admit hed rather GE than pass his deal.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

If there is a 2019 election, @AlastairMeeks is gonna have some explaining to do...

I'm down £40 in that market if it happens. Still there's Corbyn's cowardice to rely on yet so all isn't lost Rich.
  • Options
    Ironic that mps have wasted their time today on tne QS
  • Options
    I’ll be happy if the Lib Dems take back Berwick upon Tweed and make progress in Hexham. That’ll be a good election for me.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm down £40 in that market if it happens. Still there's Corbyn's cowardice to rely on yet so all isn't lost Rich.
    I was going to be down a couple of hundred quid, but I covered most of that earlier today.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    I did say a few days ago a GE was 95% and was derided by some

The other 5% is labour being able to block it
  • Options
    How does this fit with the "MPs have voted for Boris' Brexit Bill" line fib they were peddling earlier?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Pulpstar said:

I was going to be down a couple of hundred quid, but I covered most of that earlier today.
    I remember the T May exit market. Ye Gods luckily I made it back on Bozzy bear.
  • Options
    Labour will be under huge pressure to agree to an election .

The key though is the EU have to agree the extension tomorrow which pulls the rug from under Corbyn .
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Labour have the whole weekend to think of an excuse.
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    Be fascinating to see if there is an announcement from EU tomorrow on the extension.

This would indicate working in cahoots with the EU and they can now say (as suggested below) 14 days technical unless the election is held as per PM announcement, then 31st Jan.

They are not then making any demands, but reacting to the situation here.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814

He was advocating laying November (which is now impossible) and that only 5th December or 12th December were possible. He’s said the odds have now changed in the last week since a Deal was done and agreed by Parliament, which changes the mood somewhat.

To be honest there’s a good case for laying December now but I’m not yet until I get a better sense of the numbers for it over the weekend.
  • Options
    Monday GE vote is good politics. Means they can spend the weekend hyping it up, I guess with the aim to make the election feel inevitable...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    *BONG*

Not long till we hear that... maybe?
  • Options
    Indeed all Remainers should be hoping there is an election .

This is the very last chance to stop Brexit , however unlikely .

A referendum needs a government to legislate for it , even if a second vote got on the WA who would legislate for that .
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

True that.

American politics is full of silly names

What on earth is Klobuchar when it’s at home?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

A referendum needs a government to legislate for it , even if a second vote got on the WA who would legislate for that .

Agreed. Worst case it puts us out of our misery.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

Monday GE vote is good politics. Means they can spend the weekend hyping it up, I guess with the aim to make the election feel inevitable...

Yes, and Corbyn would look ridiculous rejecting one.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The key though is the EU have to agree the extension tomorrow which pulls the rug from under Corbyn .

I expect that was agreed by Boris with Macron and expect to see the EU to say tomorrow that they have agreed to extend to the 31st January to hold a general election

And of course that would completly snooker labour

If Cummings is behind all this he is a genius but of course only if Boris wins
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Sounds like an industrial-strength weedkiller.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Agreed. Worse case it puts us out of our misery.
    True , this is a chance many Remainers thought would never come.

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916
    "This is from ITV’s Paul Brand. The vote on the Queen’s speech could come at 5.45pm, followed by an address by Johnson calling on MPs to back an election." Quote from the Guardian live feed.

That does make the Queen's Speech look very silly. She cannot be happy about being dragged to Parliament to give a speech that has no meaning
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

True that.

Slovenian for 'hatter'
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I remember the T May exit market. Ye Gods luckily I made it back on Bozzy bear.
    The betting markets over the past month or so (GE date, Brexit date etc) have been good for traders reacting quickly to shifts in sentiment, but bad for anyone who can't or doesn't want to react fast.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is folding when you are holding 7-2off cowardice in your book?

I already know the answer because I happen to know that you are a very competent poker player IRL.

So quit with the childish language.

Labour MPs would be mad to go for it – better waiting until after Christmas in the hope that something comes up.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

philiph said:

Chuka has also been bombarding innocent voters in Cities of London and Westminster with leaflets claiming it's between him and the Tories. This will be a surprise to the local Labour Party, which got 14,857 votes in 2017 compared with the LibDems' 4,270.
    Still, it's heartwarming to see that's he's fitting so well into his new party.
    You are talking about ancient history,Mr Navabi. The Euro elections are a much better guide to next time.
  • Options
    Henry_CHenry_C Posts: 73

Pulpstar said:
    Come on. This is Twitter. Do you think we get detail?

It’s probably not even true.
    nico67 said:

It makes Boris look a clown. It's "do or die by 31 October", then it's please let's have an election, then he begs Labour to let there be one, and he doesn't get anything he wants, and then he finally manages to sort out an election when it's the only way to AVOID leaving on 31 October according to terms he learns from the French ambassador who comes round his house to spell them out to him. Who wants the country to be led by an idiot like that?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I already know the answer because I happen to know that you are a very competent poker player IRL.

Labour MPs would be mad to go for it – better waiting until after Christmas in the hope that something comes up.
    We need this election. It is the only way to implement a Labour Brexit, never-mind no Brexit.

We’ve ran of track. This is it.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

philiph said:

Chuka has also been bombarding innocent voters in Cities of London and Westminster with leaflets claiming it's between him and the Tories. This will be a surprise to the local Labour Party, which got 14,857 votes in 2017 compared with the LibDems' 4,270.
    Still, it's heartwarming to see that's he's fitting so well into his new party.
    You are talking about ancient history,Mr Navabi. The Euro elections are a much better guide to next time.
    Certainly that's what the LibDems would have you believe. I guess that means a BXP government?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

How foul is your mood going to be when an election is agreed on Monday? :D
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

We need this election. It is the only way to implement a Labour Brexit, never-mind no Brexit.

Even Labour don't want a Labour Brexit. Starmer and his team rejected Labour's own proposals when they were presented to them at talks with the government.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

"This is from ITV’s Paul Brand. The vote on the Queen’s speech could come at 5.45pm

Division happening now.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    If we have an extension by then and there's no chance of a crash out No Deal in the meantime then Corbyn really has to accept or become the new Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    philiph said:

kle4 said:
    Be fascinating to see if there is an announcement from EU tomorrow on the extension.

This would indicate working in cahoots with the EU and they can now say (as suggested below) 14 days technical unless the election is held as per PM announcement, then 31st Jan.

And it is the irony of all ironies that it is the Benn act that has played so completely into Boris hands orchestrated by Cummings amazing skills ( I still want him out of no 10 post the election)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,170

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

True that.

A small green mineral, known for its soothing properties when liquidised, often used by masseurs, occasionally used as an anointing oil due to its low-stain properties. Usage dates from antiquity in sub-Siberian Russia, but is little-used these days due to cheaper artificial substitutes.

Or I might just have made that up.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    How are we getting quotes already??

EDIT: Oh so he wants to pass the deal and then have an election. Not sure about that.

https://twitter.com/paulbranditv/status/1187398348732555266?s=21
    https://twitter.com/paulbranditv/status/1187398350158647300?s=21
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    edited October 2019
    Boris live on BBC with Laura

He announces December 12th
  • Options

How often have we heard Mr. Smithson say "a good bet is not a prediction"?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    The least threatening ultimatum ever.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Sounds like an industrial-strength weedkiller.
    Very good.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nov 2019 (+£24 ..chicken feed)
    Dec 2019 +£229
    2020 +£578
    2021 +£838
    2022 +£578

I think Alistair's book is much better than mine.
  • Options

EDIT: Oh so he wants to pass the deal and then have an election. Not sure about that.

Sounds good, a new parliament for the next stage of negotiations. The future relationship will be up for debate at the election.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Even Labour don't want a Labour Brexit. Starmer and his team rejected Labour's own proposals when they were presented to them at talks with the government.
    Well I know that but we have to pretend don’t we.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,992

philiph said:

kle4 said:

And it is the irony of all ironies that it is the Benn act that has played so completely into Boris hands orchestrated by Cummings amazing skills ( I still want him out of no 10 post the election)
    Indeed the Benn Act far from preventing progress was its catalyst.

Getting BoZo to do anything constructive takes a firm hand. He has no leadership skills and only operates by puppetry. Far better that Parliament is the puppeteer than Cummings.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

I'll be fine. I'm simply explaining the logic. But thanks for your concern!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

See my 95% GE has come to pass, just 5% chance labour stops it
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,727
    RobD said:

*BONG*

Not long till we hear that... maybe?

"And our Exit Polls predict that it's going to be a hung Parliament, with Mebyon Kernow as the largest party.

And here are the estimated seat totals....."
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Pulpstar said:

So what is parliament doing between now and then?

Gallowgate is right in this respect, we have run out of track.

I dont want them to do this, I think its cowardly of the entire 2017 parliament to not make a decision on Brexit before going to another GE. But now either you vote Tory if you still want to Brexit (sorry BXP, but its true) or you vote for anyone else if you dont, and pray their voters coordinate even if the parties dont.

He didnt mean it, but Letwin has probably killed off Brexit, as with the stakes so high I think the voters will coordinate well, and Farage is such an ego maniac he'll sink Boris with a few % here and there costing seats.
  • Options

Boris live on BBC with Laura

He announces December 12th

One of only two possible dates.

Boy, that's cutting it close.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2019
    When would dissolution be for a Dec 12th GE?

Trying to count 25 working days, Thur 7th Nov?
  • Options

Pass the deal first? Labour now have a ready made excuse.

Dear me.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

True that.

A small green mineral, known for its soothing properties when liquidised, often used by masseurs, occasionally used as an anointing oil due to its low-stain properties. Usage dates from antiquity in sub-Siberian Russia, but is little-used these days due to cheaper artificial substitutes.

Or I might just have made that up.
    I don't want to hear your explanation of what "Buttigieg" is!
  • Options
    So the plan is that either Boris goes to the country in triumph, having delivered a Brexit deal (albeit a rotten one), or he goes to the country on a 'rid me of these troublesome remainiacs who can't agree anything, and then I'll deliver'.

Not a bad plan. Puts Labour in a very tricky position.
This discussion has been closed.