Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the bar that the Tories will have to surmount at the next

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

For all the speculation I do expect the 31st January date to be agreed

If it is not it is down to a Frenchman

Now have we heard that before I wonder

We will stand together against Bonaparte. Boney shall never invade us!!!

Oh no... wait.. that was 200 years ago!

:D:D
    Shortly before the referendum then.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

If the EU are doing the flextension thing, why limit it to 31 Jan?

Because that is what Benn asked for.
    "Section 3 obliges the Prime Minister to accept an extension to 31 January 2020, and allows the Prime Minister to either accept an offer or ask the House of Commons to accept an offer of any other date."

31 Jan is the path of least resistance on this, I accept. But not the only possible outcome.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

All the arguments in favour of HS2 revolve around a reduction in the time it takes to get to London. No-one ever suggests it would be quicker to get to Birmingham or Manchester. If they did the sheer lop-sided absurdity of the project would be revealed.

People want to get from Birmingham and Manchester.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Question: how many Labour MPs would have to vote for an early election in order to reach the magic 434 figure, assuming that the other parties vote for one (except perhaps the independent Conservatives)?

I make the answer around 80, which isn't that many out of 250.
    You would need to find 80 Labour MPs that are certifiably insane. Granted, you could probably fish out 40 or so, but 80 is pushing it.
    Seeing as Corbyn and his mate have said they will step down from the leadership if they lose the next GE, then there is a case to be made that the centrist Lab MPs will vote for a GE to get rid of the Trots.
  • Options

I do. Lighten up a bit Big_G :smile:
    Not when it comes to celebrating the death of my age group
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited October 2019
    Fishing said:

I have just been watching footage of Ian Paisley the Elder and Gerry Adams in the same room. Adams was applauding. Not sure the DUP are as implacable as the header suggests. If Boris agrees to bung them another billion or two of public money, their animosity will doubtless melt quickly.

Still, if they facilitate Prime Minister Corbyn, they will deserve everything they get.

They need a reason to change position other than money, even if money would in theory manage it - having walked themselves out on a plank of outrage, it is not easy to walk back, even though we know they can do it.

Currently they are in a grievance spiral, working themselves up into more and more of a frenzy.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

All the arguments in favour of HS2 revolve around a reduction in the time it takes to get to London. No-one ever suggests it would be quicker to get to Birmingham or Manchester. If they did the sheer lop-sided absurdity of the project would be revealed.

But getting to Birmingham or Manchester quicker is actually the primary purpose. It means that on the rare occasions when civil servants actually travel to meetings outside of London (rather than expecting the rest of us to get to Whitehall for 9am) they can do it more quickly, as a day trip rather than an overnighter, and not have to spend time in the scary north after dark.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    PaulM said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Question: how many Labour MPs would have to vote for an early election in order to reach the magic 434 figure, assuming that the other parties vote for one (except perhaps the independent Conservatives)?

30 or so right

216 MPs not voting would block it. the 7 SFers are a given, so 209 Labour MPs. There are 245 which allows 36 to rebel
    I think a lot of the expelled Tories might vote against an election. Nick Boles has certainly said that he wouldn't support an early election.
  • Options

Satire is meant to be to the metaphorical knife wielded to slice through the bullsh*t. Funniness is not required for satire.
    Technically maybe (although humour is the first possible criteron given in the dictionary defintion as being part of satire, even though there are others), but that sounds like something a poor satirist uses as an excuse.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Some who might otherwise be keen on an election will be put off by the idea of having one two weeks before Christmas.

Outside the political bubble, a December election will go down like a cup of cold sick with the population at large.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

You would need to find 80 Labour MPs that are certifiably insane. Granted, you could probably fish out 40 or so, but 80 is pushing it.
    Seeing as Corbyn and his mate have said they will step down from the leadership if they lose the next GE, then there is a case to be made that the centrist Lab MPs will vote for a GE to get rid of the Trots.
    Not if it means handing Boris’ deranged mob five more years.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

You would need to find 80 Labour MPs that are certifiably insane. Granted, you could probably fish out 40 or so that meet that criterion, but 80 is pushing it.
    What have I missed? Is Corbyn seriously going to continue to postpone an election after 31st Oct? I can't see how he can persuade voters that there's any excuse for that. Leaving Boris in power might seem like a fun game of Punch, but it's also irresponsible.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    More Boris cowardice it would seem...... What a spineless individual.
    Having an election "spineless"? Well it's a view I suppose.
    While I despise Johnson, I have to confess I find it peculiar that he’s being abused for trying to get an election and Corbyn is being abused for trying to block one.

It’s fine to criticise them for being liars, bullies, retards, populists, cronyists, racists and hypocrites, but this one doesn’t make sense. Either there should be an election, or there shouldn’t. But all people are doing is seeing it through their partisan specs and screaming at the other side for stopping them.
    Sorry - I put it against the wrong tweet. There were two of them. This one (above) and another complaining that Boris had bottled out of a monthly grilling by MPs. For the third time. That was the tweet I meant to post against (below)

https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1187070508015243264
    I would respectfully suggests she gets over it.

Boris has far more important issues to deal with including the possibility she may not be an MP by Christmas
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    While I despise Johnson, I have to confess I find it peculiar that he’s being abused for trying to get an election and Corbyn is being abused for trying to block one.

It’s fine to criticise them for being liars, bullies, retards, populists, cronyists, racists and hypocrites, but this one doesn’t make sense. Either there should be an election, or there shouldn’t. But all people are doing is seeing it through their partisan specs and screaming at the other side for stopping them.
    Sorry - I put it against the wrong tweet. There were two of them. This one (above) and another complaining that Boris had bottled out of a monthly grilling by MPs. For the third time. That was the tweet I meant to post against (below)

Boris has far more important issues to deal with including the possibility she may not be an MP by Christmas
    Important issues like what?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Continuing his career.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

He has Brexit legislation to pass...oh wait.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited October 2019
    felix said:

She does and is way too thick to get why it really isn't.
    What would be really funny would be to hear the bleating of Leavers if No Deal Brexit happened. In second place would be the whining of the ERG and their supporters if Corbyn won the election.

Frankly, I no longer give a d*mn. I am told that I and 17m other losers have to "suck it up, we lost".

This is not my project. When it turns into a monumental mess the only pleasure left in the wreckage will be watching supporters of this disaster screaming that it was not meant to be like this.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Good try
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Like trying to pass his deal before anyone publishes an analysis showing what a complete shambles it really is.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

You would need to find 80 Labour MPs that are certifiably insane. Granted, you could probably fish out 40 or so that meet that criterion, but 80 is pushing it.
    What have I missed? Is Corbyn seriously going to continue to postpone an election after 31st Oct? I can't see how he can persuade voters that there's any excuse for that. Leaving Boris in power might seem like a fun game of Punch, but it's also irresponsible.
    It’s more irresponsible to hand the odious clown five more years, which is exactly what will happen if they have an election in short order.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

After her promises to them in 2017, her voters are astonished Sarah Wollaston won't implement Boris's Brexit Deal.

So that puts the world in balance.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sad to see Big G back in the spin zone. Boris really doesn’t deserve it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Satire is meant to be to the metaphorical knife wielded to slice through the bullsh*t. Funniness is not required for satire.
    Technically maybe (although humour is the first possible criteron given in the dictionary defintion as being part of satire, even though there are others), but that sounds like something a poor satirist uses as an excuse.
    Indeed. Satire can include humour, but its use in politics has always largely been unkind.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

kle4 said:

Indeed. Satire can include humour, but its use in politics has always largely been unkind.

Rarely about wishing death upon half the electorate though. :p
  • Options

Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

It’s more irresponsible to hand the odious clown five more years, which is exactly what will happen if they have an election in short order.
    That will be THE VOTERS handing the odious clown five more years.

You don't even try to hide your contempt for democracy these days, do you?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

But accountability to Parliament is one of the key parts of our political system and Johnson has gone to extraordinary lengths to avoid Parliamentary scrutiny. He has attended only two sessions of PMQs in about three months and not appeared before the liaison committee at all. This is not a partisan point, but simply one of good governance.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I am in the spin zone for a deal that stops no deal and respects the referendum

Sorry if that upsets you
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

37.5% of the electorate, just saying.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

One of the first and finest pieces of English satire was A Modest Proposal. So I’m not sure you’re right there.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Jonathan said:

Took a little while after getting back from the cruise before the chip reconnected with central command, but he's back to being a fully automated Tory.
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

One of the first and finest pieces of English satire was A Modest Proposal. So I’m not sure you’re right there.
    Alright, who let the Irish have a vote?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,827
    Scott_P said:
    "...The precioussss....we wants it. We wants it, so bright and shiny. My precious budgetttt..."
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

But accountability to Parliament is one of the key parts of our political system and Johnson has gone to extraordinary lengths to avoid Parliamentary scrutiny. He has attended only two sessions of PMQs in about three months and not appeared before the liaison committee at all. This is not a partisan point, but simply one of good governance.
    I accept that but to expect him to appear at this time is more than stupid
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Corbyn seems to have united the Labour party finally....

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1187099659925368832
  • Options

Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Transparent, sanctimonious crap. As if the government would cut and run if it was behind in the polls. It’s called politics. Timing is everything.
  • Options

...I am in the spin zone for a deal that stops no deal and respects the referendum...

He hasn't passed it yet, and indeed has pulled it.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

If it wasn't for the FTPA May's first meaningful vote would have been a confidence issue and we'd have had an election already. We could have been almost a year into Corbyn's socialist paradise by now :D
  • Options
    Noo said:

Jonathan said:

Took a little while after getting back from the cruise before the chip reconnected with central command, but he's back to being a fully automated Tory.
    Along with the 17.4m. Of which Big_G wasn't a part, because he voted Remain.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you
    And to you Big_G, I have read PB for years despite only posting recently.

You have in absolute fairness always maintained your belief in ensuring no No deal whilst respecting the result.

It was, as a viewer, quite a drama seeing you being driven away from the Tories - and a (sudden) decision I absolutely understood. However I am glad that you have felt comfortable enough to consider re-joining. BJ isn't everyone's cup-of-tea (evidently) but he is nothing compared to the danger of Corbyn and his entourage. We must never forget that.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Jonathan said:

Personal insults tend to lose arguments
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Not Corbyn.

The voters.....
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

It's precisely at times like this that sticking to established norms of accountability and scrutiny is so important. It's the opposite of stupid.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    RobD said:

Andrew said:

If it wasn't for the FTPA May's first meaningful vote would have been a confidence issue and we'd have had an election already. We could have been almost a year into Corbyn's socialist paradise by now :D
    Diluted socialist paradise as the Brexit Party would have won some seats and the LDs and SNP held the balance of power
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

What else is he doing though? He's not pushing the WAB bill through, the Queen's Speech is a farce, the budget will have to be canned because it was dependent on exiting on 31st October, he's not campaigning because he cannot force an election, he has only managed to turn up to PMQs twice, he's not writing his Telegraph articles any more...

What is he doing?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

You have in absolute fairness always maintained your belief in ensuring no No deal whilst respecting the result.

It was, as a viewer, quite a drama seeing you being driven away from the Tories - and a (sudden) decision I absolutely understood. However I am glad that you have felt comfortable enough to consider re-joining. BJ isn't everyone's cup-of-tea (evidently) but he is nothing compared to the danger of Corbyn and his entourage. We must never forget that.
    Brexit is a far greater danger in reality than anything Jeremy Corbyn is going to be able to do. It has already corroded the constitution and the long term spiral of decline has already set in. It is a complete disaster.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Jonathan said:

Bar a brief period straying down the wrong path in 1997 and 2001 Big G is generally a Tory and good to see him back in the fold
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

What else is he doing though? He's not pushing the WAB bill through, the Queen's Speech is a farce, the budget will have to be canned because it was dependent on exiting on 31st October, he's not campaigning because he cannot force an election, he has only managed to turn up to PMQs twice, he's not writing his Telegraph articles any more...

What is he doing?
    Annoying remainers?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

🤢

Spare us the sycophantic drivel.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited October 2019

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you
    Why spin for them? You were more interesting before. Party political broadcasts are a bit boring. But mainly, Boris is a shit and doesn’t deserve it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Given as far as we know we're one week away from leaving the EU with No Deal I'm sure Boris has got more pressing matters to sttend to! :D
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Thank you for your kind post. I am surprised how many on here seem to be upset I have re-joined the party.

I do try to be fair and honest in my posts

Best wishes
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

That's a rather wide definition of "English" you have there, Alastair... :)
  • Options

Andrew said:

Not Corbyn.

The voters.....
    Suck it up. No pre Christmas election, in the same way that there wouldn’t be one if Boris was behind in the polls. You know all this, and know we are not stupid, so do everyone a favour and quit spewing the party propaganda.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

It’s in English.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Thank you for your kind post. I am surprised how many on here seem to be upset I have re-joined the party.

Best wishes
    It’s sad to see a decent man rejoining a party that is run by narrow-minded nationalists and led by a mendacious moron.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Brexit is a far greater danger in reality than anything Jeremy Corbyn is going to be able to do. It has already corroded the constitution and the long term spiral of decline has already set in. It is a complete disaster.
    Damage from a No Deal can be repaired. The economy can survive as the basic fundamentals remain unchanged - the freedom to invest; government respecting property rights and rights of ownership. We may economically shrink but the economic infrastructure remains - and can grow again.

Corbyn seeks to change the fundamental dynamics of our whole economic system. Forever. I'm sorry but confiscating private school endowments, high possibility of nationalising pension funds, committing to nationalisation without adequate compensation - all of these things will be far far worse than No Deal.

No Deal you can still own and invest and be economically free. Under Corbyn - well you won't be.

Why can't at least acknowledge this being the obviously highly educated, City based worker like myself is baffling.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

What is he doing?
    Now Ben - you are a good poster on here but you do surprise me with this posr

Boris is upto his eyes in dealing with Brexit and we could be days away from passing a deal or a GE

I think that is enough to be going on with
  • Options

Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Transparent, sanctimonious crap. As if the government would cut and run if it was behind in the polls. It’s called politics. Timing is everything.
    We can wait if we must, for the voters to dismantle Labour as a party of Government..... The longer it takes, the more comprehensive it will be.

Gotta love the voters.
  • Options

Noo said:

Jonathan said:

Along with the 17.4m. Of which Big_G wasn't a part, because he voted Remain.
    I was talking about Tories, not Leave. Jeez, you're obsessed :D
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Damage from a No Deal can be repaired. The economy can survive as the basic fundamentals remain unchanged - the freedom to invest; government respecting property rights and rights of ownership. We may economically shrink but the economic infrastructure remains - and can grow again.

Corbyn seeks to change the fundamental dynamics of our whole economic system. Forever. I'm sorry but confiscating private school endowments, high possibility of nationalising pension funds, committing to nationalisation without adequate compensation - all of these things will be far far worse than No Deal.

No Deal you can still own and invest and be economically free. Under Corbyn - well you won't be.

Why can't at least acknowledge this being the obviously highly educated, City based worker like myself is baffling.
    So you’re just going to forget the attempt to suspend democracy then?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Best wishes
    Don't worry Big G you post what you like.

Most of us have always appreciated your candour. :)
  • Options

Noo said:

Jonathan said:

Personal insults tend to lose arguments
    I wasn't trying to win any argument, sweetie.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Best wishes
    Don't worry BigG, you will get your own back on election night!
  • Options

viewcode said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

It’s in English.
    Yes. That was the take-away from the point. Uh-huh. Yes, indeedy. :)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Best wishes
    It’s sad to see a decent man rejoining a party that is run by narrow-minded nationalists and led by a mendacious moron.
    Sorry you are upset but this is bigger than Boris and Cummings and my party has the deal and the policies
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

What is he doing?

Boris is upto his eyes in dealing with Brexit and we could be days away from passing a deal or a GE

He's paused his deal. Now, maybe he'll change his mind again but at the present moment his stated intention is not to be passing his deal, so why criticise people for pointing that out?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

ydoethur said:

What is he doing?

I respect and like you Big_G but on these two points you are plainly wrong:

We are not "days away from passing a deal" because Boris has paused the passage of the deal. Nor are we days away from a GE, the earliest one could take place is December by most people's reckoning and more likely it will be next year.

The only sensible conclusion is that Boris is too scared to appear in front of the Liaison Committee.
  • Options
    Interesting study on personal well being:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/wellbeing/bulletins/measuringnationalwellbeing/april2018tomarch2019#areas-of-persistently-high-and-low-well-being

Looking across the whole UK, several London boroughs (Lambeth, Hackney, Islington and Camden) persistently had some of the lowest personal well-being ratings reported across all measures since the year ending March 2012 (Figure 6). They were followed by Wolverhampton, Manchester, Lewisham, Greenwich and Nottingham which reported poor well-being scores for three measures.

Liverpool, Southwark and Haringey round out the 'depressed dozen' of the last decade.

Its noticeable that they are all urban areas, mostly strongly Remain and all Labour strongholds.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004
    DavidL said:

317 seats elected a Conservative in 2017 although considerably fewer have one now. The Tories can reasonably expect to regain Buckingham as well.

So the net gain they need is small, very small. Against that they may well lose 7 or 8 seats in Scotland and they may lose some to the yellow peril in the SW and London, maybe a dozen. On current polling their chances of gaining more than these 2 put together plus the required margin from a Labour Party in a very bad place must be good.

I don't disagree with Alastair that, as in 2017, people might start to think seriously about voting tactically against the Tories if they see a real risk of Boris storming off with a large majority. In extremis that might even mean some people holding their nose and voting Labour as a stop the Tory vote. It will probably get closer than it is right now but Corbyn is far more tarnished than he was in 2017.

If there is an election in the next few months I think the Tories will get their majority, but probably a modest one once again.

Let me make a guess.

I'd reckon that the Conservative Party will gain back all pretty much all the defectors seats, with the possible/probable exception of Heidi Allen in South Cambridgeshire. Wollaston *might* hold Totnes, but only if the Brexit Party splits the vote there.

In Scotland, the Conservatives will lose perhaps five seats, doing somewhat better than some of the polls suggest.

To the LDs, the Conservatives will lose seats, but not as many as the Yellow Peril dream of. (Not least because in most constituencies, they will split the Remain vote with Labour.)

I would reckon that there will be 2-5 seats in London, of which only Richmond Park is nailed on. They should recreate the "golden crescent" in SW London, recapturing Sutton & Cheam too. And then there are a bunch of Remain-y seats where the LDs did very well in the Euros which they might pick up: Wimbledon, Putney, City of London, etc.

I don't see the LDs making too many gains in the South West. Only Remain voting St Ives looks a better than even shot. There are a couple of "possibles", especially if tactical voting comes in, but I suspect they'll end up disappointed there.

But I think the LDs will do better in the market towns of SE England where they maintained (or increased this year) their resonably strong Councillor-bases. I think they might add 5 or 6 there. (And they'll effectively hold on to Eastbourne, I'm sure.)

So, the LDs will take 8-12 net from the Conservatives, while the SNP grab 5. This means the Conservative Party is starting at around 301/202. How many Labour seats can they grab? My guess would be 20-40. So, a narrow majority seems the most likely outcome.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Unthinking partisanship... what do you expect?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Best wishes
    Don't worry Big G you post what you like.

Most of us have always appreciated your candour. :)
    Thanks Gin and I will

If you post on a political blog you are bound to upset some but 'que sara sara'
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    edited October 2019
    I see Tory Swinson party abstained on the move to halt further NHS Privatisation today.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Unthinking partisanship... what do you expect?
    The commitment to democracy of most posters is only skin deep, sadly.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Best wishes
    You have rejoined? When did that happen?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

What is he doing?

Wollaston is just being a shit-stirrer. She has to earn her rght to be in the LibDems.

Just when you thought it was impossible for her to sink any further......
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Andrew said:

Time for Jezza (and Len) to show some leadership and tell them they're bloody well voting for the election whether they like it or not! :D
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Given as far as we know we're one week away from leaving the EU with No Deal I'm sure Boris has got more pressing matters to sttend to! :D
    BoZo has found enough time to paint tigers with primary school children, but not to appear before parliament.

It gives us some idea of how he will behave in a campaign.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you
    Ane's cup-of-tea (evidently) but he is nothing compared to the danger of Corbyn and his entourage. We must never forget that.

It was a slightly longer suspension than usual I grant you. There was no practical effect then or since. I didn't agree with it but I didn't consider it to be the most evil of things some evidently do. Johnson has never suggested forcing my children from their school as enemies of the people; quadrupling my council tax or seeking to destroy the basis of the industry in which I work.

A good deflection I grant you but that wasn't my question.

Your commitment to remaining is admirable and your Headers and Posts are well thought out (mostly :wink: ) but I ask again - how can you possibly compare the short to medium term downturn of a No Deal (say) for the whole-scale, fundamental destruction of our economic system as we know it? As a pensions lawyer you must know you are probably one of the first to be put up against the metaphorical wall come a Corbyn government,
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

What is he doing?
    Annoying remainers?
    :D:D:+1:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004

The possession in the Chelsea - Ajax game was 52:48......

I know some like to keep track of the magic numbers.

But the side with 52% lost :astonished:
  • Options
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

BoZo has found enough time to paint tigers with primary school children, but not to appear before parliament.

He'll spend a lot of his time kissing babies?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Best wishes
    Sorry you are upset but this is bigger than Boris and Cummings and my party has the deal and the policies
    It has a deal? Oh, good. Let me know when it gets passed. Because that bit is quite important.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It get spookier and spookier...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You seem shocked by that being a possible outcome.....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

That was before we were one week away from No Deal.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I don't disagree with Alastair that, as in 2017, people might start to think seriously about voting tactically against the Tories if they see a real risk of Boris storming off with a large majority. In extremis that might even mean some people holding their nose and voting Labour as a stop the Tory vote. It will probably get closer than it is right now but Corbyn is far more tarnished than he was in 2017.

If there is an election in the next few months I think the Tories will get their majority, but probably a modest one once again.

Let me make a guess.

I'd reckon that the Conservative Party will gain back all pretty much all the defectors seats, with the possible/probable exception of Heidi Allen in South Cambridgeshire. Wollaston *might* hold Totnes, but only if the Brexit Party splits the vote there.

In Scotland, the Conservatives will lose perhaps five seats, doing somewhat better than some of the polls suggest.

To the LDs, the Conservatives will lose seats, but not as many as the Yellow Peril dream of. (Not least because in most constituencies, they will split the Remain vote with Labour.)

I would reckon that there will be 2-5 seats in London, of which only Richmond Park is nailed on. They should recreate the "golden crescent" in SW London, recapturing Sutton & Cheam too. And then there are a bunch of Remain-y seats where the LDs did very well in the Euros which they might pick up: Wimbledon, Putney, City of London, etc.

I don't see the LDs making too many gains in the South West. Only Remain voting St Ives looks a better than even shot. There are a couple of "possibles", especially if tactical voting comes in, but I suspect they'll end up disappointed there.

But I think the LDs will do better in the market towns of SE England where they maintained (or increased this year) their resonably strong Councillor-bases. I think they might add 5 or 6 there. (And they'll effectively hold on to Eastbourne, I'm sure.)

So, the LDs will take 8-12 net from the Conservatives, while the SNP grab 5. This means the Conservative Party is starting at around 301/202. How many Labour seats can they grab? My guess would be 20-40. So, a narrow majority seems the most likely outcome.
    This is well-reasoned and if there were an election tomorrow you could well be right. But unless I am sadly misinformed there is no GE tomorrow.

What the position will look like whenever the next GE does take place is currently impossible to fathom.
  • Options

Anyone who supports Boris is an apologist for his racism.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

317 seats elected a Conservative in 2017 although considerably fewer have one now. The Tories can reasonably expect to regain Buckingham as well.

So the net gain they need is small, very small. Against that they may well lose 7 or 8 seats in Scotland and they may lose some to the yellow peril in the SW and London, maybe a dozen. On current polling their chances of gaining more than these 2 put together plus the required margin from a Labour Party in a very bad place must be good.

Let me make a guess.

Overturning a 12k majority in Sutton & Cheam is a big ask IMO:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_and_Cheam_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

But accountability to Parliament is one of the key parts of our politicae.

What is he doing?

I respect and like you Big_G but on these two points you are plainly wrong:

We are not "days away from passing a deal" because Boris has paused the passage of the deal. Nor are we days away from a GE, the earliest one could take place is December by most people's reckoning and more likely it will be next year.

The only sensible conclusion is that Boris is too scared to appear in front of the Liaison Committee.
    If Macron does get his way and the 15th November is the end date we are only 3 weeks or so from getting a deal passed or mayhem. If the EU extend to the 31st January he has other issues to address

That is enough to concentrate his mind as well as being in daily contact with the leaders of the EU who are far more important than Wollaston at this time

I do understand the dislike of Boris from his political opponents and of course I fear and dislike Corbyn in a magnitude many times that of anything Boris could do
  • Options

It was a slightly longer suspension than usual I grant you. There was no practical effect then or since. I didn't agree with it but I didn't consider it to be the most evil of things some evidently do. Johnson has never suggested forcing my children from their school as enemies of the people; quadrupling my council tax or seeking to destroy the basis of the industry in which I work.

Your commitment to remaining is admirable and your Headers and Posts are well thought out (mostly :wink: ) but I ask again - how can you possibly compare the short to medium term downturn of a No Deal (say) for the whole-scale, fundamental destruction of our economic system as we know it? As a pensions lawyer you must know you are probably one of the first to be put up against the metaphorical wall come a Corbyn government,
    I don’t have a commitment to remaining.

Leavers, however, have sought to suspend democracy, attack every civic institution of the country: and for what? To inflict as much permanent damage to the economy in pursuit of a malign obsession as they can manage.

Since there is no realistic chance of a majority Labour government, much the most present danger is a continuation of the current anti-democratic government.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Best wishes
    Such as?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

That was before we were one week away from No Deal.
    So what will Bozo be doing the rest of the week?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Let me make a guess.

Our arithmetic is similar enough not to be worth arguing about. I think that the increase in the Lib Dem vote in the polls will bring them back in contention in some of the seats lost in 2015 whether they voted leave or remain. But Labour look incredibly vulnerable in the midlands and east England.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    RobD said:

Andrew said:

Very true.
  • Options

Interesting study on personal well being:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/wellbeing/bulletins/measuringnationalwellbeing/april2018tomarch2019#areas-of-persistently-high-and-low-well-being

Looking across the whole UK, several London boroughs (Lambeth, Hackney, Islington and Camden) persistently had some of the lowest personal well-being ratings reported across all measures since the year ending March 2012 (Figure 6). They were followed by Wolverhampton, Manchester, Lewisham, Greenwich and Nottingham which reported poor well-being scores for three measures.

Liverpool, Southwark and Haringey round out the 'depressed dozen' of the last decade.

Its noticeable that they are all urban areas, mostly strongly Remain and all Labour strongholds.

Presumably Mansfield was number one? It is, after all, your paleo conservative vision for Britain.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Bdisaster.

Leavers, however, have sought to suspend democracy, attack every civic institution of the country: and for what? To inflict as much permanent damage to the economy in pursuit of a malign obsession as they can manage.

Since there is no realistic chance of a majority Labour government, much the most present danger is a continuation of the current anti-democratic government.
    Well hopefully for both our sakes and ongoing sanity this government will be shortly replaced by a new democratically elected one, with No Deal all but impossible. But it's going to be either Corbyn or Johnson at the helm.

Would you therefore prefer a caged Johnson or caged Corbyn (neither with a majority but in C&S with someone)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if that upsets you

Best wishes
    You have rejoined? When did that happen?
    Yesterday after the one nation group that had lost the whip voted for on the programme motion
  • Options

Bdisaster.

Well hopefully for both our sakes and ongoing sanity this government will be shortly replaced by a new democratically elected one, with No Deal all but impossible. But it's going to be either Corbyn or Johnson at the helm.

Would you therefore prefer a caged Johnson or caged Corbyn (neither with a majority but in C&S with someone)
    That is a false choice. There are other parties to vote for.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Your commitment to remaining is admirable and your Headers and Posts are well thought out (mostly :wink: ) but I ask again - how can you possibly compare the short to medium term downturn of a No Deal (say) for the whole-scale, fundamental destruction of our economic system as we know it? As a pensions lawyer you must know you are probasbly one of the first to be put up against the metaphorical wall come a Corbyn government,

Wold you therefore prefer a caged Johnson or caged Corbyn (neither with a majority but in C&S with someone)
    Of the two, caged Corbyn. He’s less competent and his malign plans are longer term. The damage from Johnson, even caged Johnson, is immediate.

Uncaged would be a harder question.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

That is a false choice. There are other parties to vote for.

But only two realistic choices for PM.
This discussion has been closed.