Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A 3% return in a little over two months?

Comments

• Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1185875206142939136?s=20

I suspect Mr Powell is mistaken - the DUP are in the "Do [you] feel lucky? Do you punk?" territory....

Powell is wrong, No Deal and a hard border in Ireland would have made Scottish independence and a united Ireland more likely, the Boris Deal does not
    The Boris deal introduces detailed and intrusive customs checks between two parts of the UK. If the Boris deal works, and those checks are seamless, then introducing such checks between Eng and Sco becomes a lot less scary and Scots Independence more likely. If they don't work...
    The only polls giving Yes a majority in Scotland are in a No Deal scenario, avoid No Deal and it becomes less likely, though of course Boris and Westminster will block indyref2 for the foreseeable future anyway
    Polls are not static. They react to circumstances. And you're making a very big assumption in saying that Boris will be in a position to block anything.
    Of course he will and the DUP will still vote with the Tories to block any indyref2 even if they vote with the opposition against the Boris Deal
    You've spent a week in NI and think you understand the DUP? You know nothing.
    I understand they put the Union above all else and their supporters heritage is mostly Presbyterian Scottish and linked to the Orange Lodges of Glasgow etc
    What do you think about BJ sending the letter? :smiley:
    I appreciate his signed letter sent opposing the extension, attached to his unsigned copy of the Benn Act
    I thought you said he would not do it! He has left you high and dry...
    He did not sign it no, he only signed his letter rejecting extension
    He sent it though. You definitely said he wouldn’t send such a letter.
    He didn't, he sent a copy of the Benn Act, the only letter he sent was a signed letter rejecting extension
    Ceci n’est pas un pipe. @HYUFD getting all surrealist on us.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect Mr Powell is mistaken - the DUP are in the "Do [you] feel lucky? Do you punk?" territory....

Powell is wrong, No Deal and a hard border in Ireland would have made Scottish independence and a united Ireland more likely, the Boris Deal does not
    The Boris deal introduces detailed and intrusive customs checks between two parts of the UK. If the Boris deal works, and those checks are seamless, then introducing such checks between Eng and Sco becomes a lot less scary and Scots Independence more likely. If they don't work...
    The only polls giving Yes a majority in Scotland are in a No Deal scenario, avoid No Deal and it becomes less likely, though of course Boris and Westminster will block indyref2 for the foreseeable future anyway
    Polls are not static. They react to circumstances. And you're making a very big assumption in saying that Boris will be in a position to block anything.
    Of course he will and the DUP will still vote with the Tories to block any indyref2 even if they vote with the opposition against the Boris Deal
    I understand they put the Union above all else and their supporters heritage is mostly Presbyterian Scottish and linked to the Orange Lodges of Glasgow etc
    I appreciate his signed letter sent opposing the extension, attached to his unsigned copy of the Benn Act
    He didn't, he sent a copy of the Benn Act, the only letter he sent was a signed letter rejecting extension
    Casuistry. He surrendered to the Surrender Act so he could get his Surrender Deal through.

He didn't, diehard Remainers have decided he did and are very smug today with how clever they were, Tories and Leavers though are clear he did not so they have achieved precisely zilch!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,930
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

The letter exchange is getting tedious.

Creative solution in fact. Pushing the envelope, sure, but sometimes you need to.
    It needs sorting.
    Would that seal the argument ?
    No, pushing the envelope ...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

Has Rupert Harrison got a seat to contest yet? He’s very impressive.
    He is a former Osborne SPAD and Brexit sceptic so I doubt it, though he might have a chance in Cities of London and Westminster now Mark Field is stepping down if he fancies taking on Chuka
    I think Chukka has a good chance of taking that seat now. Incumbency is worth several thousand votes, maybe Field can see the writing on the wall...
    Indeed, I think Chuka could win it with Labour tactical votes and it is strongly Remain.

If Harrison does not get selected there though he will find in most Tory associations at the moment if they have a choice between a pro Boris and pro Brexit dustman and a diehard Remainer with an Oxbridge PhD and high flying career, they will pick the dustman given their current mood
    Rupert isn’t a die hard Remainer (I know him quite well as he chairs a board I sit on)
    He comes across as a very orthodox Cameron-syle Eurosceptic on Twitter.
    Cameron was not a eurosceptic.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827
    Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Nigelb said:

We need to stamp down on it
    Yes, people are getting postal about it.
    That needs addressing.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

The Boris deal introduces detailed and intrusive customs checks between two parts of the
    Casuistry. He surrendered to the Surrender Act so he could get his Surrender Deal through.

He didn't, diehard Remainers have decided he did and are very smug today with how clever they were, Tories and Leavers though are clear he did not so they have achieved precisely zilch!
    I note that Tories have stopped referring to the Benn Act as the Surrender Act...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Creative solution in fact. Pushing the envelope, sure, but sometimes you need to.
    It needs sorting.
    My signature move.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    edited October 2019
    'Dim Dom' Raab is saying they have the numbers to pass the Deal.

This is what constitutes Breaking News (!) in the Beeb's eyes.

Boris Broadcasting Corporation?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    Off Topic: I think this is the weekend that killed VAR in this country.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Boris was childish but so is this nonsense coming from remainers. The letter was served, Tusk has received it, and is actioning it

Time remainers acted like grown ups as well

You are gaslighting, Big G. It's not childish to point out that Number 10 childishly lied about the manner in which the letter was served.
    Is an unsigned letter worth anything? Would you take an unsigned cheque or agree to work to an unsigned contract?
    Except it wasn't an unsigned check or contract, it was a letter provided by the UK official representative on behalf of the Prime Minister setting out the position of the UK Parliament. It seemed to satisfy them.
    If Benn wanted it signed by the PM, perhaps he should have written it into law.

Along with the blood type.....
    You're right, of course. Johnson has completely outsmarted Benn, who must be feeling comprehensively humiliated now.
    And the effect of the Benn Act has been....what? To force a Deal (that Remainers don't want)? They aren't exactly toasting Benn's name in European capitals this weekend.....
    It’s done exactly what it was supposed to do - allow a day of triumphant Remoaners to crow on Twitter about Johnson sending the letter.
    While the vast majority of Tories and Leavers remain fully behind Boris against those smug, triumphant Remaoners anyway
    So we're triumphant? You accept we've won. Hoorah.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    This thread is delivering
  • Options
    Trump is clearly frit.

First time he’s hesitated to go ahead with blatant graft...
    https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/19/trump-says-his-doral-resort-will-no-longer-host-g7-summit-000292
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    tlg86 said:

Off Topic: I think this is the weekend that killed VAR in this country.

2019’s version of “Fergie Time”.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

I understand they put the Union above all else and their supporters he etc

Are we at war?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

On the contrary - it’s time for the last post.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

He is a former Osborne SPAD and Brexit sceptic so I doubt it, though he might have a chance in Cities of London and Westminster now Mark Field is stepping down if he fancies taking on Chuka
    I think Chukka has a good chance of taking that seat now. Incumbency is worth several thousand votes, maybe Field can see the writing on the wall...
    Indeed, I think Chuka could win it with Labour tactical votes and it is strongly Remain.

If Harrison does not get selected there though he will find in most Tory associations at the moment if they have a choice between a pro Boris and pro Brexit dustman and a diehard Remainer with an Oxbridge PhD and high flying career, they will pick the dustman given their current mood
    Rupert isn’t a die hard Remainer (I know him quite well as he chairs a board I sit on)
    He was and is. Read his memoires. He never really got the EU at all.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    edited October 2019
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Boris was childish but so is this nonsense coming from remainers. The letter was served, Tusk has received it, and is actioning it

You are gaslighting, Big G. It's not childish to point out that Number 10 childishly lied about the manner in which the letter was served.
    Is an unsigned letter worth anything? Would you take an unsigned cheque or agree to work to an unsigned contract?
    Except it wasn't an unsigned check or contract, it was a letter provided by the UK official representative on behalf of the Prime Minister setting out the position of the UK Parliament. It seemed to satisfy them.

You're right, of course. Johnson has completely outsmarted Benn, who must be feeling comprehensively humiliated now.
    And the effect of the Benn Act has been....what? To force a Deal (that Remainers don't want)? They aren't exactly toasting Benn's name in European capitals this weekend.....
    It’s done exactly what it was supposed to do - allow a day of triumphant Remoaners to crow on Twitter about Johnson sending the letter.
    While the vast majority of Tories and Leavers remain fully behind Boris against those smug, triumphant Remaoners....
    Weren’t they a punk band ?

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

What is the latest front in the all our war against Diehard Remainers btw?
  • Options

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

He was and is. Read his memoires. He never really got the EU at all.
    'Getting' it is not a prerequisite for being an EUphile. I suspect quite the opposite is true.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

There is no spoon
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    edited October 2019
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

So what do the EU do if parliament votes for a referendum amendment? Say 'tough, you've got one more week'?

Unless there is appetite to put Jeremy Corbyn in as PM for long enough to deliver it, insisting on a Ref2 means GE. Which as things stand probably means Con majority and back to this Deal.
    What other choice is there? Remain has to do something in the next few weeks or leave wins. As Saturday shows, deferring the decision in the hope something will come up is a very viable path for them. Probable defeat tomorrow beats certain defeat today.
    Leave won. 17.4m votes said so.

Just a case of Remainers getting past the first stage of grief. They've been stuck in the first stage for a while.
    Remain MPs won't get past that first stage until they believe victory is impossible.
    They've been getting their own way for nigh on half a century - no wonder it's taking time to adapt.
    I thought you were talking about the DUP there - they and their forbears have been getting their way in Northern Ireland since at least the 1600s and arguably the 1100s...
    The DUPs forebears only arrived in the 1500s

It was the likes of my family that arrived in the 1100s and we were burnt out in 1923
    Well my family can trace themselves back to the 11th century when there was the Welsh-Norman invasion. The family name reflects that.

We weren’t burnt out in 1923. I wonder what the difference between our two families might have been? :)

(Oh and btw my understanding of constitutional law comes from studying political philosophy during my degree, constitutional law as part of law degree and training for the Bar, my time working as a government lawyer and my work in private practice. Not sure what makes you the classroom monitor on this, mind...... )
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

I’m finding it punishing
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

What will his next move be in the all out war against diehard Remainers? Revoking Article 50 as a tactical retreat?
    Continuing to push his Deal through at all costs
    You sure about that? :smiley:
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

So what do the EU do if parliament votes for a referendum amendment? Say 'tough, you've got one more week'?

Unless there is appetite to put Jeremy Corbyn in as PM for long enough to deliver it, insisting on a Ref2 means GE. Which as things stand probably means Con majority and back to this Deal.
    What other choice is there? Remain has to do something in the next few weeks or leave wins. As Saturday shows, deferring the decision in the hope something will come up is a very viable path for them. Probable defeat tomorrow beats certain defeat today.

Just a case of Remainers getting past the first stage of grief. They've been stuck in the first stage for a while.
    Remain MPs won't get past that first stage until they believe victory is impossible.
    They've been getting their own way for nigh on half a century - no wonder it's taking time to adapt.
    I thought you were talking about the DUP there - they and their forbears have been getting their way in Northern Ireland since at least the 1600s and arguably the 1100s...

It was the likes of my family that arrived in the 1100s and we were burnt out in 1923
    Well my family can trace themselves back to the 11th century when there was the Welsh-Norman invasion. The family name reflects that.

We weren’t burnt out in 1923. I wonder what the difference between our two families might have been? :)
    We were very well regarded by the local population (check out the Princess of Connemara as an example).

But we were unionists and some people felt that we had no place in their vision of Ireland
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

(Oh and btw my understanding of constitutional law comes from studying political philosophy during my degree, constitutional law as part of law degree and training for the Bar, my time working as a government lawyer and my work in private practice. Not sure what makes you the classroom monitor on this, mind...... )
    Well you suggested that quoting Hobbes was “constitutional innovation” so I had reasonable grounds for doubt
  • Options
    It is a shame that the Adolf Hitler videos were wasted on Gordon Brown a decade ago. The Boris bunker would have been very funny as he leaves everybody else in the ditch! :lol:
  • Options
    Charles said:

We were very well regarded by the local population

:D
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Noo said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

There is no spoon
    Close your eyes and try not to think of a spoon.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I suppose with Boris sending the letter and not resigning we probably won't be nuking Madrid, seizing the Scottish Lowlands or sub partitioning Northern Ireland either.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD is never wrong. Never.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I’m finding it punishing
    A post like that presents a stationery target.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Trump is clearly frit.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/19/trump-says-his-doral-resort-will-no-longer-host-g7-summit-000292

It was probably explained quite slowly to him that this was an open and shut case with no wiggle room.

There was probably diagrams.

I imagine some shouted loudly "this is the standard example of an impeachable offence" at least 4 times.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,280
    edited October 2019
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

While the vast majority of Tories and Leavers remain fully behind Boris against those smug, triumphant Remaoners....

Beat on the brat
    Beat on the brat
    Beat on the smug, traitorous, Rermoaner brat with a baseball bat (or Spanish riot police truncheon if available)
  • Options
    Noo said:

Charles said:

We gave most of our land to the tenants - the theory was we didn’t have the cash to save them but at least they could die on their own land.

... it makes sense in an Irish context ..,

• Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Beat on the brat
    Beat on the brat
    Beat on the smug, traitorous, Rermoaner brat with a baseball bat (or Spanish riot police truncheon if available)
    What did you think of @malcolmg concession on the last thread that there won’t be Scottish independence for at least 40 years?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Noo said:

Charles said:

We gave most of our land to the tenants - the theory was we didn’t have the cash to save them but at least they could die on their own land.

Christ alive, please stop, I'm cracking my ribs laughing.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Trump is clearly frit.

It was probably explained quite slowly to him that this was an open and shut case with no wiggle room.

There was probably diagrams.

I imagine some shouted loudly "this is the standard example of an impeachable offence" at least 4 times.
    Fake news.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,088

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

It needs sorting.
    post sending enquiry
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    Noo said:

Charles said:

Noo said:

Charles said:

Christ alive, please stop, I'm cracking my ribs laughing.
    "I can't think about that right now. I'll think of it tomorrow, at Tara."
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    Alistair said:

F. Scott Fitzgerald once said, ‘ The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.‘

On that basis, Hyufd is rapidly leaving Einstein, Newton and Aquinas trailing in his wake. There is only Aristotle left.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Well you suggested that quoting Hobbes was “constitutional innovation” so I had reasonable grounds for doubt
    Has Hobbes ever been cited in a significant constitutional law case? Genuine question.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Trump is clearly frit.

Someone's finally explained the emoluments clause to him. And now he knows that he's utterly fucked.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

It needs sorting.
    pretty 2nd class
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Beat on the brat
    Beat on the brat
    What did you think of @malcolmg concession on the last thread that there won’t be Scottish independence for at least 40 years?
    Didn't see it so unable to make anything of it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

I think you must be confusing me with someone else. I have not mentioned Hobbes at all in recent posts - in fact I doubt I ever have - whether as a “constitutional innovation” or otherwise.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Beat on the brat
    Beat on the brat
    what bollox, where did I ever say that, it is coming soon t
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    Nigelb said:

A post like that presents a stationery target.

But nevertheless should not be attacked. He's a loyal male.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

It needs sorting.
    pretty 2nd class
    The Royal Mail is bringing out a new system of stamps.

First Class - Delivered within a day

Second Class - delivered within a week

Political class - never delivered at all because they can’t agree which address to send it to.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

We were very well regarded by the local population (check out the Princess of Connemara as an example).

But we were unionists and some people felt that we had no place in their vision of Ireland
    “Some people”

You mean the people (the majority of the population) who wanted their independence from a remote overbearing ruler who did not take their interests into account.

Those people?

😏
  • Options
    He's British today, then.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

F. Scott Fitzgerald once said, ‘ The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.‘

On that basis, Hyufd is rapidly leaving Einstein, Newton and Aquinas trailing in his wake. There is only Aristotle left.
    Many of us have elevated HYUFD to that level already. I am putting together a collection of his words to carry with me for inspiration on a daily basis.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Noo said:

Charles said:

And how - exactly - was that land acquired and from whom?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Many of us have elevated HYUFD to that level already. I am putting together a collection of his words to carry with me for inspiration on a daily basis.
    I already have an anthology of his choicest posts, printed and sewn into the lining of my coat so I'm never without them.
    Would a tattoo be taking it too far?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Noo said:

Charles said:

Get ready for the shift from "we" to "they"...
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

What is the latest front in the all our war against Diehard Remainers btw?
    You know that quote about a war fought by lions led by donkeys...
  • Options
    Noo said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

I already have an anthology of his choicest posts, printed and sewn into the lining of my coat so I'm never without them.
    Would a tattoo be taking it too far?
    A small red-covered volume would suffice.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Noo said:

Charles said:

Get ready for the shift from "we" to "they"...
    To quote Mrs T: “I’m enjoying this!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Beat on the brat
    Beat on the brat
    what bollox, where did I ever say that, it is coming soon t
    @charles , where did you see this rubbish Charles, could only happen if someone hacked my id.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited October 2019
    Absolutely stunning comeback by Andy Murray .

No player has ever undergone this type of hip surgery and come back and won a singles title.

Truly inspirational .
  • Options

Gerard DeGroot, in Blighty, argues mischievously that actually the French general got it the wrong way round. The British officer corps were fond of display, courage, and strength, so they were rather like lions. The British infantry were uncomplaining, hardworking and unimaginative, so they resembled donkeys.

Johnson and Corbyn definitely meet that definition of lions, although especially stupid ones.

How much more of this rubbish do the British people who have been so stoically through all these years have to take?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Noo said: "I already have an anthology of his choicest posts, printed and sewn into the lining of my coat so I'm never without them. Would a tattoo be taking it too far?"

You could get some imprinted on a loo roll
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

I think you must be confusing me with someone else. I have not mentioned Hobbes at all in recent posts - in fact I doubt I ever have - whether as a “constitutional innovation” or otherwise.
    Isn’t accurate citation of some importance in law ?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I think the order paper might not have been updated . Mogg came out with the MV5 vote very late in the day and if it had been pulled wouldn’t other sources confirm this .

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Gerard DeGroot, in Blighty, argues mischievously that actually the French general got it the wrong way round. The British officer corps were fond of display, courage, and strength, so they were rather like lions. The British infantry were uncomplaining, hardworking and unimaginative, so they resembled donkeys.

Johnson and Corbyn definitely meet that definition of lions, although especially stupid ones.

How much more of this rubbish do the British people who have been so stoically through all these years have to take?
    Boris is one of those small dogs that yaps at you from behind a fence. But open the gate and it runs away.... then keeps yapping at you from a distance.
    Corbyn is less a lion and more an exceptionally grumpy old tom cat, with no teeth and blunt claws. He used to be a bit daring, but nowadays is too slow.

There are no lions. Or maybe Joanna Cherry at a pinch.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    nico67 said:

I think the order paper might not have been updated . Mogg came out with the MV5 vote very late in the day and if it had been pulled wouldn’t other sources confirm this .

I can’t see the Speaker humouring the government. It looks like a big strategic mistake of the government not pressing the vote on Saturday.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    In my Danish newspaper today Brexit has a story on the front page - another chance to try and explain what, for Danes, is the comic structure of parliament and the bizarre problem of the inability of the UK to actually make a decision. This has come as a real surprise to Danes I know (family, friends, co-workers), and shaken their notion that the British and Danish are basically the same type of people.

Not a single opinion piece about brexit though - Denmark has moved on, brexit is done and now it is about a new package of workers' rights and the EU budget. On the radio today an exasperated politico said that the EU had already revisited a deal twice and spent too much time on the problem - seriously remainers, if the discourse in Denmark is that enough is enough don't bank on a long extension for things like referendums - I don't think remainer politicians and activists in the UK really get how fed up the other countries are with the UK.

This is not helped by the continuous assumption by remainer groups that debating the deal, changing it and extending the timescale is up to the UK and the EU don't want to be blamed for brexit and so will give an extension - no sane person will blame the EU for anything that results in a no-deal brexit - that is 100% on parliament.
  • Options
    Noo said:

ydoethur said:

Boris is one of those small dogs that yaps at you from behind a fence. But open the gate and it runs away.... then keeps yapping at you from a distance.
    Corbyn is less a lion and more an exceptionally grumpy old tom cat, with no teeth and blunt claws. He used to be a bit daring, but nowadays is too slow.

There are no lions. Or maybe Joanna Cherry at a pinch.
    Are you suggesting she is the mane event in the House right now?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Absolutely stunning comeback by Andy Murray.

No player has ever undergone this type of hip surgery and come back and won a singles title.

Truly inspirational .

It strongly suggests that his prior career was significantly hampered by his dodgy hip (which would also do much to explain his at times somewhat grumpy demeanour).

A tremendous player.

Another ‘nailed on’ SPOTY.... ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Maybe I'm dumb, but the motion is listed?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    There will eventually be a reckoning and these 650 politicians embarrassing our country will be done away with.

Not a single MP has come out with any credit from this process. They have all been different shades of diabolical.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes I think it was updated after the tweet was sent.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

There will eventually be a reckoning and these 650 politicians embarrassing our country will be done away with.

Not a single MP has come out with any credit from this process. They have all been different shades of diabolical.

I completely disagree with this. MPs generally have wrestled well and honestly with the decisions they faced. They have fairly reflected the divisions in the country.

The executive, however, has since the 2017 election been a complete disgrace.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I have sent emails to three Labour MPs re-earlier discussion. Interested to see whether I receive a reply.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I have sent emails to three Labour MPs re-earlier discussion. Interested to see whether I receive a reply.

You can't be serious.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    MaxPB said:

The only thing that can be said in their defence is that in GE2017 the electorate produced almost the most diabolical possible result.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes just noticed , having read the full order paper.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Why Trump's base isnt enough for him to win re-election part 4819309381:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1185964854605242368
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    justin124 said:

I thought only your own MP was meant to respond and communicate with you.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I completely disagree with this. MPs generally have wrestled well and honestly with the decisions they faced. They have fairly reflected the divisions in the country.

+1 MPs are correct to probe and question the merits of a deal. You would not venture into many contracts in life with the notion "lets get it done and work the detail out later". Often you hear stupid people on the TV articulate that view, the world does not work like that! As always I blame the Brexit supporting media for propagating misinformation and making Brexiteers impatient. They always go on about winning the 2016 vote but fail to understand that those who are not in agreement with their stupidity get dragged down with them....
  • Options
    philiph said:

justin124 said:

I thought only your own MP was meant to respond and communicate with you.
    I am sure they will all point him towards Arkell vs Pressdram.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    justin124 said:

You won't - but your internet traffic might be of some interest to the constabulary for a while.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

You can't be serious.
    If he is serious, having just checked out the discussion in question he’ll be pretty damn lucky if the reply doesn’t involve a summons for a breach of section 27.1 of the Malicious Communications Act.
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

In my Danish newspaper today Brexit has a story on the front page - another chance to try and explain what, for Danes, is the comic structure of parliament and the bizarre problem of the inability of the UK to actually make a decision. This has come as a real surprise to Danes I know (family, friends, co-workers), and shaken their notion that the British and Danish are basically the same type of people.

Not a single opinion piece about brexit though - Denmark has moved on, brexit is done and now it is about a new package of workers' rights and the EU budget. On the radio today an exasperated politico said that the EU had already revisited a deal twice and spent too much time on the problem - seriously remainers, if the discourse in Denmark is that enough is enough don't bank on a long extension for things like referendums - I don't think remainer politicians and activists in the UK really get how fed up the other countries are with the UK.

This is not helped by the continuous assumption by remainer groups that debating the deal, changing it and extending the timescale is up to the UK and the EU don't want to be blamed for brexit and so will give an extension - no sane person will blame the EU for anything that results in a no-deal brexit - that is 100% on parliament.

Jamen, hvilken avis?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Agreed. It seems to be a minority view on here.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Noo said:

One of the most peculiar mental tics of nationalist supporters I've noticed is the complaint that broadcasters, commentators, and the general (English) public enthusiastically claim successful Scottish sportspeople as "British" when they're winning and disown them as "Scottish" when they lose. I have literally never seen an instance of anything so absurdly crass happening, but nevertheless I hear it often, from a variety of sources. Never an example given though. Gotta keep that burning resentment alive somehow I suppose.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

MaxPB said:

+1 MPs are correct to probe and question the merits of a deal. You would not venture into many contracts in life with the notion "lets get it done and work the detail out later". Often you hear stupid people on the TV articulate that view, the world does not work like that! As always I blame the Brexit supporting media for propagating misinformation and making Brexiteers impatient. They always go on about winning the 2016 vote but fail to understand that those who are not in agreement with their stupidity get dragged down with them....
    Doesn't that last sentence apply to every general election? It doesn't seem to have stopped Governments from getting on with their own agendas in the past.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    justin124 said:

Which three?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Enjoyed Roland White`s article in Sunday Times (title: "too posh to putsch".

According to him, Remain protesters are a better class of protester compared to Leave protesters apparantly.
  • Options

Noo said:

One of the most peculiar mental tics of nationalist supporters I've noticed is the complaint that broadcasters, commentators, and the general (English) public enthusiastically claim successful Scottish sportspeople as "British" when they're winning and disown them as "Scottish" when they lose. I have literally never seen an instance of anything so absurdly crass happening, but nevertheless I hear it often, from a variety of sources. Gotta keep that burning resentment alive somehow I suppose.
    Oh bless, did you think I was a nationalist? You really are the unplugged lamp of this forum aren't you?
  • Options

Noo said:

One of the most peculiar mental tics of nationalist supporters I've noticed is the complaint that broadcasters, commentators, and the general (English) public enthusiastically claim successful Scottish sportspeople as "British" when they're winning and disown them as "Scottish" when they lose. I have literally never seen an instance of anything so absurdly crass happening, but nevertheless I hear it often, from a variety of sources. Never an example given though. Gotta keep that burning resentment alive somehow I suppose.
    Someone did a study that supports you. I will see if I can google it out,
  • Options

MaxPB said:

When a decision put to a referendum has been made, you're not supposed to fairly reflect the divisions of the country. You're supposed to abide by the outcome.
  • Options
    I really do hope justin124 is not yet another pseudonym for SeanT.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Are you thinking that the country will shortly elect 650 MPs that agree with you?
  • Options

Noo said:

Here you go....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-34909845
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788

MaxPB said:

As observed:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/09/britain-politics-chaotic-constitution-working/597340/

Bit like sausages - process unpleasant but result can be satisfactory.

A code I adopted with the quantity surveyor on a project - when all I wanted to know was whether the outcome was satisfactory and could be spared the grisly details "Sausages" was all that was required....
  • Options

Noo said:

Err.....Disagree.

I hate Scottish Nationalists more than anyone, but have definitely noticed that happened with Andy.
This discussion has been closed.