Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There is little from the betting to indicate which way punters

Comments

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    WAIB = withdrawal agreement implementation bill
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Jonathan said:

My hunch is that Boris will sneak this. He will get is way, we will Brexit and he will own the consequences. The question is what will those consequences be.

Will he do better than the winning side in ScotRef?

Yes, it will depend on how things pan out over the next year. Decisions by big companies, that sort of thing. Although with complete alignment continuing during transition it isn't clear what other problems there might be?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    As for the hysteria over Macron and Varadkar, Leavers need to see the full quotes not just snippets .

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Mr. Rose, Lord Adonis.

Ah, yes!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Forgive me what is the WAIB

Withdrawal Agreement IB ?

IB = ?

Implementation Bill
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    One thing that did puzzle me yesterday was a BBC report hat - according to Guy Verhofstadt - the European Parliament wouldn't ratify the deal until well into November. Can that really be correct?
  • Options
    Just had below from BXP (I enrolled to see what they are up to):

"At this important time, I want to update you on The Brexit Party’s thoughts on Boris’ proposed deal. The truth is that it would be BRINO, Brexit in name only. We have always stood for a Clean-Break Brexit so we can maximise the Brexit opportunities.

This deal is still a really bad deal. Apart from unnecessarily paying £39 billion, the Political Declaration — which sets the basis for the future Free Trade Agreement with the EU — is full of traps and pitfalls. Despite the warm words, it will heavily restrict our foreign policy and military independence as well as policies on trade, tax, fishing, the environment, social and employment law, competition and state aid. We will have to operate on a “level playing field”. We would not be able to become a high growth, low tax, smartly regulated economy, which the EU is terrified that we could become.

If Boris’ treaty is passed, a transition period of over three years is likely — when we have no voice, no vote and no veto — as the EU sets new rules and laws that discriminate against us.

Any short-term temptation to back this deal will result in huge medium-term regret. It would be a historic mistake. A Clean-Break Brexit is still the right way forward. "
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Pulpstar said:

Forgive me what is the WAIB

Withdrawal Agreement IB ?

IB = ?

Implementation Bill I assume.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

philiph said:

Chris said:

philiph said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

What is the bloody point? Whatever the length of the extension, we leave once the paperwork is done. We could be granted a ten-year extension, and still (in theory) leave before 31 October if we're ready.

The point is Letwin is currently trying to force the letter tomorrow, the EU have made it pretty clear they arent going to extend, especially if the deal has been agreed (in principle in this case) so they decline an extension and no deal becomes a real possibility again if the WAIB falls.
    Only a moron like Letwin could come up with such a stupid amendment
    But of course, the EU haven't made it clear they aren't going to extebility of extending, obviously intended to encourage MPs to vote in favour, but incapable of deceiving a small child.

The only problem here is Johnson's idiotic self-imposed deadline. Wouldn't it be great if everyone else ignored the child in the room and started behaving like adults?
    They have stated pretty clearly any extension is for a reason.

Johnson is unable to assure them that he or Parliament can deliver the reason for an extension. (Election or Referendum the numbers can not be guaranteed).

That could easily lead to no extension.
    You can come out with as much wishful thinking as you like. The EU has certainly not made clear that they aren't going to extend, which was the claim.
    They will extend for a reason.

Like to suggest some reasons they would extend for and how they are guaranteed?
    They'll extend to avoid No Deal. OK?
    And they will refuse to extend until parliament has voted. Only if the deal is voted down will they (possibly) offer an extension
    I don't know whether you remember as long ago as half an hour, but what I was disagreeing with was this, from you: "the EU have made it pretty clear they arent going to extend, especially if the deal has been agreed"

It seems you now disagree with it yourself.

I really wonder what point people see in filling the thread with this kind of guff, which they're going to go back on anyway a few minutes later!
    Yesm they arent going to even consider extending unless the deal is voted down. You seen to think theyll extend before it's even been voted on which is a ridiculous position to hold.
    It's no use pretending you can't read - it only makes you look foolish.
    Just trying to fit in with you x
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sterling just edged positive on the day. Has Boris got the big mo?

Yes.

Whether its enough is hard to tell, but he has the Big Mo.
    Vox pops prove whatever you like but the unanimity on R4 this morning was quite impressive. People no longer care about the details, they just want it done.
    Sometimes simple slogans can tell a story. Boris/Cummings choosing "Get Brexit Done" as their slogan was a masterstroke - I do think the overwhelming majority of the public want this done with now and his deal is the way now to get it done.
  • Options

SNP back on again wanting a GE ASAP.

Were they ever not? They just wanted to know others were on board, post benn act approval
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
    Stocky said:

"At this important time, I want to update you on The Brexit Party’s thoughts on Boris’ proposed deal. The truth is that it would be BRINO, Brexit in name only. We have always stood for a Clean-Break Brexit so we can maximise the Brexit opportunities.

This deal is still a really bad deal. Apart from unnecessarily paying £39 billion ….

£33b now. Part of the chunk for transition we've already paid while still members.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    David Gauke backs the deal but also backs the Letwin Amendment .

This is a test for Johnson , basically if you’re acting in good faith then the amendment is sensible to allow proper scrutiny of the legislation.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Chris said:

One thing that did puzzle me yesterday was a BBC report hat - according to Guy Verhofstadt - the European Parliament wouldn't ratify the deal until well into November. Can that really be correct?

The new EP only begins on Nov 1. So, yes.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I think the deal has a good chance of passing but not until MPs have seen the WAIB.

And also for Labour MPs they need to see what proposals Johnson is putting forward on workers rights etc.

This rush to get the deal through is just for Bozos pledge , the EU want the deal to go through but aren’t bothered if it takes a few more weeks .

They’re not going to say no extension if the deal is likely to pass.

Just a polite question but have you followed the EU coverage in the media because they clearly stated no extension unless for a GE or possibly a referendum. The EU also said that if the deal falls tomorrow another vote should happen next week and they keep repeating it

Even now the EU are involved with many difficult issues causing stress and disagreement totally unconnected with brexit so they just want it done, they have had enough

The Commission and Council have confirmed they will pass their own votes next week to exit on the 31st with FTA negotiations to commence immediately on the 1st November

The EU are all geared up for brexit on the 31st and there are going to be a lot of leaders wholly unimpressed if the HOC engineer more delays and believe you me, they will not wear it
  • Options
    Stocky said:

This deal is still a really bad deal. Apart from unnecessarily paying £39 billion, the Political Declaration — which sets the basis for the future Free Trade Agreement with the EU — is full of traps and pitfalls. Despite the warm words, it will heavily restrict our foreign policy and military independence as well as policies on trade, tax, fishing, the environment, social and employment law, competition and state aid. We will have to operate on a “level playing field”. We would not be able to become a high growth, low tax, smartly regulated economy, which the EU is terrified that we could become.

If Boris’ treaty is passed, a transition period of over three years is likely — when we have no voice, no vote and no veto — as the EU sets new rules and laws that discriminate against us.

Any short-term temptation to back this deal will result in huge medium-term regret. It would be a historic mistake. A Clean-Break Brexit is still the right way forward. "

A clean break Brexit is not what they campaigned for during the European Elections actually. What they campaigned for was respecting the referendum.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

How many are not going to vote tomorrow? Clearly the 7 terrorists/friends of Jeremy, the Speaker (except on a tie) and 3 deputies, what about O'Mara? Anyone else?

If that is all 638 votes, a winning line of 320. Sounds a lot without the DUP.

Kelvin Hopkins is a hard leaver but a pal of Jeremy, he may well abstain
    That's why I suggested Dennis Skinner.

He is a hard leaver, a pal of Jeremy [who was a hard leaver when he was on the backbenches] and hates the Tories. I think he might combust if he voted with the Tories but backs leaving.
    I'd laugh my arse off if Skinner voted with the Tories on this, unlikely, but we seem to be so far through the looking glass now that anything is possible.

I voted remain, but if he gets this deal through without the DUP nutters, I hope they get a massive backlash at the election. Spend all their time wanging on about the Union, but seem to be staring down the barrel of an Irish border poll if they carry on like this. Idiots.
    With Farage now a remain supporting defender of the Benn Act it is an amazing time.

The DUP think they are the only ones who care about the UK. I've yet to read the changes so dont know if their concerns are right, but its certainly true that since they always moan self righteously it's hard to tell when they have a point.
    The DUP are completely correct from their perspective. I'm astonished that the Scottish Conservative MPs aren't having canaries over the precedent it sets.
    Last time I checked Scotland had not had a terrorist war for decades and did not border another EU nation unlike Northern Ireland
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

Stocky said:

A clean break Brexit is not what they campaigned for during the European Elections actually. What they campaigned for was respecting the referendum.
    Yes. I seem to remember it being about more than Brexit, it was about trust in politicians
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

How many are not going to vote tomorrow? Clearly the 7 terrorists/friends of Jeremy, the Speaker (except on a tie) and 3 deputies, what about O'Mara? Anyone else?

He is a hard leaver, a pal of Jeremy [who was a hard leaver when he was on the backbenches] and hates the Tories. I think he might combust if he voted with the Tories but backs leaving.
    I'd laugh my arse off if Skinner voted with the Tories on this, unlikely, but we seem to be so far through the looking glass now that anything is possible.

I voted remain, but if he gets this deal through without the DUP nutters, I hope they get a massive backlash at the election. Spend all their time wanging on about the Union, but seem to be staring down the barrel of an Irish border poll if they carry on like this. Idiots.
    With Farage now a remain supporting defender of the Benn Act it is an amazing time.

The DUP think they are the only ones who care about the UK. I've yet to read the changes so dont know if their concerns are right, but its certainly true that since they always moan self righteously it's hard to tell when they have a point.
    The DUP are completely correct from their perspective. I'm astonished that the Scottish Conservative MPs aren't having canaries over the precedent it sets.
    That assumes a level of collective intelligence and gumption that the SCon MPs do not possess.
    Loads know they're toast at the next GE so best to keep nose clean with the party for future jobs.
    Only the three border MPs have a strong chance of holding, and lord knows the likes of Ross Thomson and Kirstene Hair are unemployable in the real world.
    The latest Panelbase has Aberdeen South and Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine also staying Tory, so Ross is safe
  • Options

Chris said:

Is the old EP not sitting?
  • Options
    isam said:

Stocky said:

Yes. I seem to remember it being about more than Brexit, it was about trust in politicians
    Yes, that's what I remember too.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Last time I checked Scotland had not had a terrorist war for decades and did not border another EU nation unlike Northern Ireland
    Only because they have lacked your diplomatic approach.

I was referring more to the way that the English nationalists evidently see Northern Ireland as dispensable.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited October 2019
    Feels like the Gvt needs to bring forward an amendment in the spirit of Letwin, but more supportive, and have him not move his.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    nico67 said:

I think the deal has a good chance of passing but not until MPs have seen the WAIB.

And also for Labour MPs they need to see what proposals Johnson is putting forward on workers rights etc.

This rush to get the deal through is just for Bozos pledge , the EU want the deal to go through but aren’t bothered if it takes a few more weeks .

The proposal for worker's rights is that Parliament decides.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    IanB2 said:

philiph said:

Andrew said:
    If it is 'in' double figures, then 10 is the minimum?
    You don't say.
    I hear it could be as high as 99.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Just a polite question but have you followed the EU coverage in the media because they clearly stated no extension unless for a GE or possibly a referendum. The EU also said that if the deal falls tomorrow another vote should happen next week and they keep repeating it

Even now the EU are involved with many difficult issues causing stress and disagreement totally unconnected with brexit so they just want it done, they have had enough

The Commission and Council have confirmed they will pass their own votes next week to exit on the 31st with FTA negotiations to commence immediately on the 1st November

The EU are all geared up for brexit on the 31st and there are going to be a lot of leaders wholly unimpressed if the HOC engineer more delays and believe you me, they will not wear it
    What they’re saying is to show support for Johnson . The EU don’t want to start ratification till they’re 100% sure the full legislation has passed..

I don’t think you’ve thought about what’s likely to be in the WAIB, there’s likely to be some controversial issues there which could see the ERG start playing games .

It’s possible the deal goes through and the WAIB doesn’t .
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I've already pointed out to you

(a) the shamefulness of denying the Scots a referendum just cos they don't start a terrorist campaign

(b) that Scotland has a land border with another EU nation, ie England, and maritime ones with others. ,
  • Options

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

But in any case, if Article 50 requires ratification of the agreement by the European Parliament, how can we leave before that happens?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

If forced to bet on this I would back the deal passing.

Glad I am not forced to bet on this.

The SNP will never have hoped a vote passes despite their opposition more :D
    You think? I think this is a bad outcome for the SNP.

This is the kind of Brexit that doesn't tip people over the edge to full blown Indy support.
    I think it will. Sturgeon is already talking about the advantages NI will have.
    Boris and Westminster will block indyref2 for the foreseeable future anyway.

The main thing was to avoid No Deal for most Scots, this Deal does it
    We already know your attitude towards Scotland, which is they should count themselves lucky that you are not imprisoning their leaders. You are a parody account aren’t you?
    Well the Spanish government has now set a precedent by jailing Catalan nationalists for holding an unauthorised independence referendum
    They've also set a precedent with their attitude to Gibraltar. Yet you don't agree with that do you?
  • Options
    nico67 says: " It’s possible the deal goes through and the WAIB doesn’t ."

Is that what the Letwin Amendment is supposed to prevent?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845

SNP back on again wanting a GE ASAP.

Not sure what happens with the election in the deal passes tomorrow.

Presumably there wtill still be a QS vote on Monday with the government likely to lose it?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

But in any case, if Article 50 requires ratification of the agreement by the European Parliament, how can we leave before that happens?
    They can ratify it next week.
  • Options
    Momentum building behind the deal but also some key Tories supporting the Letwin amendment .

• Options
    Jonathan said:

My hunch is that Boris will sneak this. He will get is way, we will Brexit and he will own the consequences. The question is what will those consequences be.

Will he do better than the winning side in ScotRef?

Yes as Leave was anti establishment, Better Together was the establishment
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Johnson/Cummings seem to have moved the conversation on from talk of him needing to die in a ditch !

So far as dead cats go getting a deal was a monstrous one.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

What they’re saying is to show support for Johnson . The EU don’t want to start ratification till they’re 100% sure the full legislation has passed..

I don’t think you’ve thought about what’s likely to be in the WAIB, there’s likely to be some controversial issues there which could see the ERG start playing games .

It’s possible the deal goes through and the WAIB doesn’t .
    If the deal passes tomorrow brexit will happen on the 31st October
  • Options
    GIN1138 says: "Not sure what happens with the election in the deal passes tomorrow."

What election? GE not going to happen anytime soon.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I was referring more to the way that the English nationalists evidently see Northern Ireland as dispensable.
    If there was a hard border in Ireland Northern Irish voters would vote for Irish unity anyway
  • Options
    nico67 said:

This is a test for Johnson , basically if you’re acting in good faith then the amendment is sensible to allow proper scrutiny of the legislation.

I'm still unclear if the amendment means there needs to be another vote later. Because if it does then while scrutiny is necessary it is also a delaying ploy by those besides Letwin who want to reject it
  • Options
    Stocky said:

nico67 says: " It’s possible the deal goes through and the WAIB doesn’t ."

Is that what the Letwin Amendment is supposed to prevent?

Yes . Basically the Benn Act only falls away after the WAIB has gone through both houses and had Royal Consent.

This is an extra insurance policy . Some Tories in a nutshell don’t trust Johnson or the ERG.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Stocky said:

Given the majority of what they are complaining about won't be resolved until the FTA which hasn't even started being negotiated yet, how the hell do they know?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

Juncker confirms that the European Parliament will pass the deal next week if the HOC passes the deal
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    edited October 2019
    If Letwin passes, will vote on Govt motion go ahead and will Govt still support its own motion?

Remember similar situation before - amendment passed and Govt then voted against its own (amended) motion.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I'd laugh my arse off if Skinner voted with the Tories on this, unlikely

I think this is another one of those times where people on here speak past each other without understanding what is meant. I won’t speak for others, but my view is simple. I’d be happy if Scotland, Wales and NI stayed in the Union, but it’s not my choice. It’s theirs. If they stay, the deal is that the vote of one person in Inverness, Londonderry, or Swansea has exactly the same meaning as the vote of one person in Dunstable; and the countries don’t matter. That will always mean the majority in the Commons has a majority of English MPs. Believing in the union means being fine with that so I understand exactly why Scots nats won’t ever accept it, and so each country should have referendums whenever the relevant devolved assembly wants one. When those votes come, we English should shut up and let them decide.

On the other side of the argument, I get the sense that you and others feel a loyalty to the concept of the union that means you want to convince or compel the Scots. The ultimate expression of that is English people going around thinking they have a right to refuse a referendum for Scotland.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

I'm still unclear if the amendment means there needs to be another vote later. Because if it does then while scrutiny is necessary it is also a delaying ploy by those besides Letwin who want to reject it
    You don’t actually need to approve a MV4 , you can just incorporate that into the WAIB and pass the whole thing .
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Looks like we can concentrate on rugby tomorrow after all:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1185218295361871873
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Stocky said:

GIN1138 says: "Not sure what happens with the election in the deal passes tomorrow."

What election? GE not going to happen anytime soon.

So if the government loses the vote on their QS on Monday what happens?
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

Juncker confirms that the European Parliament will pass the deal next week if the HOC passes the deal
    It’s irrelevant the EU Parliament can only ratify after the full UK process which isn’t going to happen in 5 days .
  • Options

Looks like we can concentrate on rugby tomorrow after all:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1185218295361871873

Christ sake. At least it would be for an actual reason this time but I swear the MPs are just allergic to decisions .
  • Options
    The value bet is pass by ten or more. No significant naysayers have yet appeared amongst ex Tories or ERG and labour leavers look like breaking cover to vote for
    The more support declares the less likely Letwin passes as it will be unnecesasary
  • Options
    The vote tomorrow is a watershed moment. If Johnson wins tomorrow, then he romps home in a GE. And, HYUFD will tell you the exact number of MPs the Tories will have. The SNP will be other winner.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

The vote tomorrow is a watershed moment. If Johnson wins tomorrow, then he romps home in a GE. And, HYUFD will tell you the exact number of MPs the Tories will have. The SNP will be other winner.

And if he doesnt win tomorrow?
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

If Juncker did say that, it's the opposite of what Verhofstadt said.
  • Options
    So Corbyn voting for it too then?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Are we having a vote tomorrow ?

Or does Letwin annul it ?!
  • Options
    edited October 2019

What if: tomorrow deal and Letwin pass, then the opposition moves to a vonc…..

Yes, I'm trolling a little, but only a little. They haven't given up.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

If the deal passes, then the GE becomes very unpredictable. Johnson won't get a thank you card from the electorate.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

It’s irrelevant the EU Parliament can only ratify after the full UK process which isn’t going to happen in 5 days .
    Actually, Article 50 speaks of the leaving country and the EU Council concluding an agreement only after ratification by the European Parliament, not before.

• Options
    Andrew said:

What if: tomorrow deal and Letwin pass, then the opposition moves to a vonc…..
    The VONC will fail
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

You know I do find it hard to understand how you can contradict the President of the Commission who is responsible for their Parliament who has unequivacably stated the Commission will pass the deal in time for the 31st October and will commence FTA discussions the day after

As a matter of interest did you listen to Juncker yesterday at all
  • Options
    By the way, I don't think David Gauke was backing Boris Johnson's deal. I think it was the most almighty Freudian slip.
  • Options

If the deal passes, then the GE becomes very unpredictable. Johnson won't get a thank you card from the electorate.
    No, but Labour will still have Captain Salad as leader, therefore reducing their vote in key marginals.
  • Options
    I don't see what the Letwin Amendment changes. So Letwin passes, Boris sends a letter, EU replies to letter saying "you have a deal, you have the time, ratify it this week, no need for an extension" - then what?

And to my knowledge then the Benn Act's arrow is shot. The letter has been sent, the Act complied with, it would require a new Act to force a new letter.
  • Options

I don't see what the Letwin Amendment changes. So Letwin passes, Boris sends a letter, EU replies to letter saying "you have a deal, you have the time, ratify it this week, no need for an extension" - then what?

And to my knowledge then the Benn Act's arrow is shot. The letter has been sent, the Act complied with, it would require a new Act to force a new letter.

More silly buggery by the HoC....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Are we having a vote tomorrow ?

Or does Letwin annul it ?!

Can't the government just attach their own version of Letwin to the bill?
  • Options

Precisely. They should be amending to force Benn if the WAIB falls, when it would actually be needed. This is just about embarrassing Johnson
  • Options
    Chris said:

No
  • Options

Do you really think the EU will seek to impose no deal Brexit rather than allow MPs proper time to scrutinise the deal? It seems innately implausible to me.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

By the way, I don't think David Gauke was backing Boris Johnson's deal. I think it was the most almighty Freudian slip.

Apart from him saying this:

"I’ve been making the case for a long time that resolving Brexit was going to require compromise. Tomorrow I will back the PM’s compromise. I hope Parliament will back the deal."
  • Options
    SPIN market nudged up one to midpoint 316.5 (313-320)

Not sure if that includes tellers though.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

That's why he's spent so much time having his government make extravagant spending commitments, with the Budget to come in the first week of November. He's not going to be fishing for gratitude. That's wishful thinking on your part.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

Isn't it more like the EU say they grant an extension which only kicks in if the deal is not passed by a certain date?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

I listened to him live yesterday saying it and repeating it
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

Exactly . Juncker has no sway over the EU Parliament, Bozo has been on the phone to say please put pressure on MPs.

Guy V has said they won’t start ratification until the deal is a 100% watertight in the UK.

Too many Leavers are falling for these Juncker briefings and equally falling for the no extension nonsense .
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1185219068338589697

Adam Afriyie? He was the next Tory leader once wasn't he? For about 5 minutes.
  • Options

No, but Labour will still have Captain Salad as leader, therefore reducing their vote in key marginals.
    If you are referring to Jeremy Corbyn I suspect you will find he's gone before next spring is out. I'd be surprised if we had a GE before then.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Isn't it more like the EU say they grant an extension which only kicks in if the deal is not passed by a certain date?
    No, it removes the impetus to pass the deal
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

Exactly . Juncker has no sway over the EU Parliament, Bozo has been on the phone to say please put pressure on MPs.

Guy V has said they won’t start ratification until the deal is a 100% watertight in the UK.

Too many Leavers are falling for these briefings and equally falling for the no extension nonsense .
    In fairness too many of us fell for briefings about no reopening of the WA .
  • Options
    Chris said:

nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

Actually, Article 50 speaks of the leaving country and the EU Council concluding an agreement only after ratification by the European Parliament, not before.

Again, Juncker said the ratification in the EU Parliament will happen next week if deal passed
  • Options

Do you really think the EU will seek to impose no deal Brexit rather than allow MPs proper time to scrutinise the deal? It seems innately implausible to me.
    No I don't, I think they know Parliament won't enforce No Deal either and so are calling time on schenanigans and will make Parliament come to a decision. If the EU says that there's no more time available then what will Parliament do next - all those currently seeking an extension will have to swallow their pride and accept the EU's deal or vote to revoke, either way the EU rips off the bandage.
  • Options

Precisely. They should be amending to force Benn if the WAIB falls, when it would actually be needed. This is just about embarrassing Johnson
    By that time it will be too late . And so what if they’re embarrassing Johnson , his stupid pledge gets what it deserves . And wouldn’t you be a bit pissed off about losing the whip when the ERG have been running riot for 3 years .

• Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

I listened to him live yesterday saying it and repeating it
    Well, what I heard him say was simply "I have to make sure it will pass the hurdles of the European Parliament, that's all."

Don't you think it's rather strange that if he had said that, Verhofstadt would have said the opposite?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

Too many Leavers are falling for these Juncker briefings and equally falling for the no extension nonsense .
    It isn't up to Guy V.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

Too many Leavers are falling for these briefings and equally falling for the no extension nonsense .
    The EU reopened it because it suited them , they always hated the all UK backstop .
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053
    It's absolutely disgraceful that Parliament is open when England and Ireland are playing in the Rugby World Cup.

Do we not have any boundaries any more?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

I give up. You cannot be listening live to the broadcasts
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

By that time it will be too late . And so what if they’re embarrassing Johnson , his stupid pledge gets what it deserves . And wouldn’t you be a bit pissed off about losing the whip when the ERG have been running riot for 3 years .

I don't think his pledge damages him now....he got the EU to renegotiate the WA and he got a deal to the floor in a sort period of time. If the HoC plays silly buggers yet again, i doubt people are going to blame Boris.

The optics are of one person trying to sort out Brexit and lots of people finding every which way of saying No to every single option while also claiming they still want Brexit. I think the public are sick to the back teeth of the later.
  • Options

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

Again, Juncker said the ratification in the EU Parliament will happen next week if deal passed
    Is this like the Supreme Soviet ?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

The EU reopened it because it suited them , they always hated the all UK backstop .
    Funny they were so wedded for so long to something they always hated, that we hated too.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

Both Macron and the Luxembourg PM have said they will refuse extension if the Deal is voted down without a major change like EUref2 or a GE
  • Options

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

Do you have a link for that please?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    Things appear to be moving Bozo's way. My predictions are looking a bit shaky.

I suppose the one consolation for Labour Leavers if he does win the vote is that we will actually leave. But not on the right terms or with the right political consequences.

Those Labour MPs who are prepared to hoist Bozo aloft as if he has brought home the world cup need to hang their heads in shame. I used to hold Sarah Champion in high regard. More fool me.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Scott_P said:
    But they’d all be pointless because if there’s a majority for a trade deal on different terms, there’s a majority to overturn them.... Well except a referendum now, but there aren’t the numbers for that.
  • Options

Not with the SNP on only 39% in the latest poll and No Deal avoided
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is sitting next week.

Do you have a link for that please?
    Live on Sky after deal announced yesterday
This discussion has been closed.