Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s Top Tip for Remainers – if there’s a 2nd Referendum de

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,900

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

No it does not. 41% no deal, 33% remain, 14% another solution to be negotiated

Also in the same poll the voters blame the EU more than the UK

Your trip away has turned you into HYUFD i fear
    HYUFD-lite? :)
    Not even lite.

I am million miles away from HYUFD though we both voted remain. I am a one nation conservative that wants a deal and some common sense and reject Trump with every part of my being
    I’m sure you’re not but the current belief in opinion polls and your switch to supporting Johnson if he gets a deal does make me a bit suspicious
    Why would I not support Boris if he gets a deal and we leave in an orderly manner.

The QS today had a lot of good policies on health, police, the environment, animal protection much favoured by my family and above all optimism. It was not a right wing mantra though some law and order policies are populist
    You have changed your tune somewhat significantly Big_G!
    Not really.

If Boris achieves TM mark 2 and goes on to a sensible programme for government v Corbyn and his ilk I would vote conservative at the next GE despite me not backing Boris for PM

I am only being honest to be fair and I have not rejoined the party following my resignation
    Other than Brexit Boris has always been "one nation" "socially liberal" etc with the added bonus (if your that way inclined) that he's much more likely to spend, spend, spend compared to Cameron and Osborne for example...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,359
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

La La Land. He is sanctioning a NATO ally for doing what he invited them to do on Wednesday, and he is withdrawing American troops from a country where he says there are no American troops, and he is aiding the resurgence of a terror group that he simultaneously boasts about defeating, and he is sending American troops into the Mid East as he gloats about flying Mid East-based US troops home, and and and

America the Clown.
    It was Assad and the Kurds who were mainly responsible for defeating ISIS, Trump is now leaving them to control Syria which they are doing as the Kurdish welcome for Syrian government troops in Kurdistan today confirms
    HYUFD I have defended you in the past against some unpleasant attacks, but your loyalty to Donald Trump is literally indefensible. And incomprehensible. Stop. The prez is a vile, mad, narcissistic, flame haired human gargoyle.
    Appreciate the defence but let me ask you this question, who the Kurds?

It's irrelevant. It's whataboutery. We're talking of Trump.

His decision on Turkey was stupid, witless, short sighted, random, and strategically inept. It weakens America in several ways, not least by making America look fatally unreliable as an ally, and by reviving America's mortal enemies in the Mid East.

And that's setting aside the basic morality of abandoning the Kurds. Because there is no basic morality. It was a contemptible thing to do.
    The problems in Syria came from the US backing rebels trying to topple Assad given ISIS emerged from those rebels, now ISIS has been defeated Trump saw no US direct interest in keeping US troops in Syria any further and risking US lives.

He decided the best course was to leave Syria to Assad and the arrival of Syrian troops in Kurdish towns in Northern Syria today to protect the Kurds and replace the US troops withdrawn shows his gamble was the correct one
    In the US statement after the phone call with Erdogan they directly referred to the start of Turkey's attack on the Kurds. It is risible to claim that the plan was for Syrian government troops to replace US troops.

Utterly ridiculous and absurd.
    Yet the fact Syrian government troops have now replaced US troops to protect the Kurds shows in reality it was not absurd
    Have you read the piece by the actual commander of the Kurd troops in Foreign Affairs?

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,790
    edited October 2019
    IanB2 said:

OllyT said:

IanB2 said:

Took the dog to an American vet this morning to get his treatment and pet passport endorsed for our return crossing to the UK on Friday. And hoping he won't be deprived of his EU citizenship in a fortnight's time. Meanwhile lunch at an Italian restaurant streetside in New York sunshine makes Brexit seem a long way away. As it probably is.

Our dog travels all over Europe with us on a pet passport. Hadn't thought of travelling to US with a pet - out of interest did you fly or sail? Did it go well?
    We went on the QM2; better for me than him, but better for him than flying. We return on Friday.
    It's a bit bizarre that if you have the time you can cross the Atlantic on the QM2, with 7 days full board, for less than the price of a business class flight.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    tyson said:

Boris Johnson...fucking tosspot..discuss.

What is the worst thing about Boris's day today????.from the UK not wanting to criticise Turkey, to manipulating the queen for today's charade, to popping in such incendiary voter suppression measures, to the shocking populist home office (unworkable) proposals, to wrapping himself around the NHS..something he obviously doesn't give a flying fuck about....

What did we do to deserve Boris Johnson?

Refuse to deliver the Brexit 17 million voted for
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

La La Land. He is sanctioning a NATO ally for doing what he invited them to do on Wednesday, and he is withdrawing American troops from a country where he says there are no American troops, and he is aiding the resurgence of a terror group that he simultaneously boasts about defeating, and he is sending American troops into the Mid East as he gloats about flying Mid East-based US troops home, and and and

America the Clown.
    It was Assad and the Kurds who were mainly responsible for defeating ISIS, Trump is now leaving them to control Syria which they are doing as the Kurdish welcome for Syrian government troops in Kurdistan today confirms
    HYUFD I have defended you in the past against some unpleasant attacks, but your loyalty to Donald Trump is literally indefensible. And incomprehensible. Stop. The prez is a vile, mad, narcissistic, flame haired human gargoyle.
    I protest at this offensive characterisation.

Gargoyles are original, useful, striking and only spout water from their mouths.
    A little stony-faced from you ydoethur :)
    I demand the right of defenceless roof ornaments not to be slated.
    You've clearly been rocked by the original comment.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,376
    tyson said:

What is the worst thing about Boris's day today????.from the UK not wanting to criticise Turkey, to manipulating the queen for today's charade, to popping in such incendiary voter suppression measures, to the shocking populist home office (unworkable) proposals, to wrapping himself around the NHS..something he obviously doesn't give a flying fuck about....

Voted for (a) Brexit and (b) Jeremy Corbyn* in unexpectedly large numbers, leading the Tories to think third rate poshos with uncosted spending commitments offering the moon on a stick were the way to go.

*If a member of Labour, reverse this order.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.
    I suspect a typical reaction will be:

" Syria, Iraq, Iran hmmmm
    Arabs, Kurds, Turks hmmmm
    ISIS, Al Qaeda, Hezbollah hmmmm.

Best to keep out and let them fight each other. "
    I disagree. I think these multiple reports, about US soldiers experiencing shame at the abandonment of their Kurdish allies, will hit home.

Americans do not like feeling unmanly, weak or yellow. It conflicts entirely with their self image.
    Maybe.

But it depends on how weary the US is of Middle Eastern entanglements especially now it isn't dependent upon Middle Eastern oil.
    A very good point. And if the Middle East goes up even worse then US oil reserves go up in value

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

OK...what do you think about the sentencing measures for the Courts? Do you agree with them? I am curious
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Men in white coats.

No, that isn’t a joke.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029
    Re: Absolute fucking drivel on the previous thread about a hypothetical UK/Spain armed conflict over which country's sailors get to frequent the Donkey's Flipflop in Gibraltar.

All of the "analysis" presented omits any mention of NAVSTA Rota. This is the strategic gateway to the Med and a very important USN base. There would therefore be no armed conflict in that area for the simple reason that the US would not permit it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.

Gargoyles are original, useful, striking and only spout water from their mouths.
    You've clearly been rocked by the original comment.
    This conversation has reached the gutter.

But then, it is about Trump.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    I do enjoy it when England loses at football, which is sadly a rarity before the QFs of a tournament. But this evening, I'm heartily behind England. Well done them, and a big fuck off to the Bulgarian fans.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,964
    Noo said:

TGOHF2 said:
    Good to see politicians praising rival parties.
    It's been a long time since Kate thought of the right as a rival.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.
    Appreciate the defence but let me ask you this question, who the Kurds?

It's irrelevant. It's whataboutery. We're talking of Trump.

His decision on Turkey was stupid, witless, short sighted, random, and strategically inept. It weakens America in several ways, not least by making America look fatally unreliable as an ally, and by reviving America's mortal enemies in the Mid East.

And that's setting aside the basic morality of abandoning the Kurds. Because there is no basic morality. It was a contemptible thing to do.
    The problems in Syria came from the US backing rebels trying to topple Assad given ISIS emerged from those rebels, now ISIS has been defeated Trump saw no US direct interest in keeping US troops in Syria any further and risking US lives.

He decided the best course was to leave Syria to Assad and the arrival of Syrian troops in Kurdish towns in Northern Syria today to protect the Kurds and replace the US troops withdrawn shows his gamble was the correct one
    In the US statement lace US troops.

Utterly ridiculous and absurd.
    Yet the fact Syrian government troops have now replaced US troops to protect the Kurds shows in reality it was not absurd
    Have you read the piece by the actual commander of the Kurd troops in Foreign Affairs?

The commander now happily welcoming Assad's forces to join his?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Wait this that author finds out McDonnell went to a prep school.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

country's sailors get to frequent the Donkey's Flipflop in Gibraltar.

Never heard it called that before.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    GIN1138 said:
    Boris doesn't trust his Cabinet not to leak though.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.

We seem to have ascended to the gutter tonight.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Re: Absolute fucking drivel on the previous thread about a hypothetical UK/Spain armed conflict over which country's sailors get to frequent the Donkey's Flipflop in Gibraltar.

All of the "analysis" presented omits any mention of NAVSTA Rota. This is the strategic gateway to the Med and a very important USN base. There would therefore be no armed conflict in that area for the simple reason that the US would not permit it.

The US was neutral in the Falklands War and would be neutral in any UK Spain war if Spain invaded Gibraltar too
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Did he? I admit that surprises me. I know Corbyn did, but I thought Macdonnell was from a much poorer background.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,964
    GIN1138 said:

Sky saying the Irish really do want a deal this week and the leaders may agree but subject to a short technical extension

Both John Rentoul and John Stevens in the interview see it as the most likely outcome and that Boris may even agree to seek an extension for that purpose and that it is unlikely to damage him

As long as a deal is agreed and Parliament votes for it there's no reason not to have a technical extension to 31st December or January 31st to put legislation in place.

The key though is that the deal must be passed by Westminster on Saturday so everyone knows we're coming out and that's that.
    If it is January 31st then @williamglenn wins his bet with @SeanT .
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.

I lead you when it comes to gutter puns.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The US was neutral in the Falklands War and would be neutral in any UK Spain war if Spain invaded Gibraltar too
    I hear the Kurds didn't help in the Falklands either..
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tyson said:

Voted for (a) Brexit and (b) Jeremy Corbyn* in unexpectedly large numbers, leading the Tories to think third rate poshos with uncosted spending commitments offering the moon on a stick were the way to go.

*If a member of Labour, reverse this order.
    Fair enough...BoJo is a product of Corbynism....he owes his existence to the old Labour duffer...as too does Brexit...

But...Corbyn is a product of Ed Miliband...an utterly useless leader who led his party into the hinterlands of nonsense....
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Noo said:

TGOHF2 said:
    Good to see politicians praising rival parties.
    It's been a long time since Kate thought of the right as a rival.
    Labour... never mind, I made it too ambiguous, my fail.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Re: Absolute fucking drivel

With you all the way on this sentiment though, @Dura_Ace.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

GIN1138 said:
    Probably trying to keep the Cabinet in the dark until he springs it on them at 8am on Saturday before presenting it to Parliament at 9:30! ;)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.

pipe down
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,786
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

The more I think of it the more Boris being told he cannot have a deal now really is perfect for his opponents. Farage can stir people up that we have not left and Boris will, he will claim, sell out the UK in order to get a deal later, while everyone else can work toward a referendum (I wish they'd get on with it already) and the EU can let things draft to a close, safe in the knowledge that deal or no deal it won't matter.

I don't think that's the EU intention. They want a deal and don't see it as their job to protect the UK from its Brexit decision. The difference is that the EU sees a deal in functional terms - it needs to work - while Johnson-Cummings sees a deal as a political act - how does it advance or damage their partisan interest?
    I find that a bit difficult to believe, because the EU do not see a deal in purely functional terms, since the deal needs to work politically in order to work functionally. It's one reason many of the wilder British options wouldn't work because even if technically feasible, maybe, they are not politically feasible.

The desperation here is on the British side, because of the extension caused by Brexiteers in the first place (no, many of them did not vote for an extension, but there would be no opportunity for it without them), and because of the deadline the have chosen to make immutable despite not having the power to prevent going beyond it. But the path to a revised version of a deal is not really a functional issue, it's a political issue.
    There is a political dimension in Ireland certainly, but given Johnson has caved on the NI backstop sufficiently for the Irish to green light the deal in principle, the hold up isn't there.

The problem for the EU is how to tie down a complex double customs arrangement for Northern Ireland only where goods might be imported from outside the EU under one customs regime, to be rebadged in Northern Ireland and reexported to the EU under a different regime. The EU rejected this arrangement as unworkable when it was part of May's Chequers proposal. The difference now is that the problem is more localised.

It's not necessarily insoluble, but it's not going to be sorted in days, and the EU doesn't see why it needs to be constrained by artificial deadlines imposed by Johnson-Cummings purely for domestic political reasons.
  • Options
    Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Didn't the Kurds help us out in the Falklands.....couldn't they have shot down at least one Exocet?..fuck em
  • Options
    Noo said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.

pipe down
    Butt it’s going so well...

However, I have to get some rest.

Good night.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Did he? I admit that surprises me. I know Corbyn did, but I thought Macdonnell was from a much poorer background.
    Well, he went to a Grammar School, but then got a grant to go to a Catholic indy at 15 as he was about to start training for the priesthood (which he abandoned). Not quite the cushy upbringing Jezza enjoyed.
  • Options
    Military coup to remove The Donald imminent? :D
  • Options
    Noo said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.

pipe down
    has he been spouting off again?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.

Drain the swamp.....
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    edited October 2019
    Bloody robots - coming over here, running our welfare state !

https://twitter.com/bbchelena/status/1183852748544057344?s=21
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2019
    Boris Johnson vows not to quit as the Prime Minister says that he'll refuse to resign even if MPs vote down his Queen's Speech

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7572677/Boris-Johnson-vows-not-quit-Prime-Minister-MPs-vote-Queens-Speech.html
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

GIN1138 said:
    Where is Private Francois..? Is he locked in a cupboard somewhere?
  • Options
    O/T but the Booker Prize 2019 has just been announced, and in direct contravention of the rules, *two* winners have been named (Margaret Atwood and Bernardine Evaristo).

A lot of money has been wagered on the outcome, so how do the bookies sort that out???
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

We let a few thousand xenophobic geriatrics elect the PM instead of putting them to bed early with their ovaltine.
  • Options

O/T but the Booker Prize 2019 has just been announced, and in direct contravention of the rules, *two* winners have been named (Margaret Atwood and Bernardine Evaristo).

A lot of money has been wagered on the outcome, so how do the bookies sort that out???

IDK, but if it is against the rules I want to see legal action to sort out the 'true' winner.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited October 2019
    TGOHF2 said:
    You can always read a FT article that the ft have tweeted a link to - so he really is very thick.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    kle4 said:

IDK, but if it is against the rules I want to see legal action to sort out the 'true' winner.
    What happens when a horse race is declared a tie? Or any other race?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

We let a few thousand xenophobic geriatrics elect the PM instead of putting them to bed early with their ovaltine.
    Ovaltine my arse......

And I am rarely in bed before midnight.

Do you actually know any Tory members, or do you just like to let your mouth have free rein with your prejudices?

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,712
    Final update before I log off:

We have gate agents, but still no plane. And no more Kitkats.

Oh, and Delft is definitely worth a visit.

Night all.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.

Some hot, gargoyle action. I thought PBers would enjoy the Alien one.

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1123323511865393152?s=20
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The Falklands were not contested on the figurative doorstep of a massive US naval base.

You'd better hope the US won't be neutral or your War of the Spanish Delusion won't be happening as British forces now have zero electronic warfare or air suppression capabilities. So there no possibility of autonomous expeditionary warfare against a peer military like Spain outside of a US led coalition.
  • Options

Twin winners also happened in 1974 and 1992 - don't know why as Scared Hunger was clearly better than the English Patient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booker_Prize

Its curious how some of the Booker winners are so little known that they have only the barest details on wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elected_Member
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday_(novel)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saville_(novel)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

No it does not. 41% no deal, 33% remain, 14% another solution to be negotiated

Also in the same poll the voters blame the EU more than the UK

Your trip away has turned you into HYUFD i fear
    HYUFD-lite? :)
    One day we shall see the accounts: The one true HYUFD, Original HYUFD, HYUFD Classic, Super HYUFD...
    Cherry?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    TGOHF2 said:

Terminator: Welfare Robot was a surprising box office flop.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.

Some hot, gargoyle action. I thought PBers would enjoy the Alien one.

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1123323511865393152?s=20
    Cool.
    Ydoethur is correct, though. Trump is more grotesque than gargoyle.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited October 2019

kle4 said:

Punters will be paid at the full odds to half their stake.
  • Options
    This looks like a pretty well balanced editorial on Scottish independence.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/14/the-guardian-view-on-scottish-nationalism-a-warning-from-catalonia

My one gripe is that the mandate is already incontrovertible. Holyrood voted for it. There are only two triggers for Scotland to be granted a referendum. Firstly, a vote in Holyrood. This has happened. Secondly if a majority of Scottish MPs at Westminster want one.
    I am not in favour of the latter, though it has been the opinion of esteemed politicians in the past. I object to that one because I object to FPTP in general. It's too easy to get a majority with a minority of votes. Indeed, that is likely to happen.
    So that just leaves a vote in Scotland's parliament. Which has already happened.

The editorial seems to be aimed at both the Scottish and Westminster governments. I think it also fairly points out the correct approach is being taken by the SNP, in heading off irresponsible calls for a unilateral approach.
    But such calls are only irresponsible because we have precedent on the correct way to do this. The Conservative approach to 2014 was totally correct; let's not deviate from a formula that works.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

Final update before I log off:

We have gate agents, but still no plane. And no more Kitkats.

Oh, and Delft is definitely worth a visit.

Night all.

You aren't flying tonight - FYI at this time of night the KLM support to get a hotel room is in the baggage reclaim
  • Options
    tyson said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Didn't the Kurds help us out in the Falklands.....couldn't they have shot down at least one Exocet?..fuck em
    I thought they all had heel spurs and were excused service.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Ovaltine my arse....

One hears of all manner of strange practices on PB, but that is a new one for me.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

kle4 said:

Dead heat rules apply. You get half what you'd get for an outright win. Or presumably one third in a 3 way dead heat, etc.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,995

kle4 said:

"Dead heat" = Halve stake (Or 1/x for x dead heat winners) , original odds.

e.g. £10 @ 4-1; halve stake = £5 @ 4-1 = £5 stake returned + £20 winnings.
    So in this example it is effectively 6-4 odds from the original £10 stake..

If you've backed anything odds on and it wins DH then you'll lose out if the bookie follows horse racing dead heat rules compared to a straight winner.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Ovaltine my arse......

And I am rarely in bed before midnight.

Do you actually know any Tory members, or do you just like to let your mouth have free rein with your prejudices?

One of my lifelong friends is a Tory Councillor and my best friend has never voted anything else but Conservative. My Mother-in-law is a card carrying Conservative and has been for years. She is over 90s and has no time for the bl**dy Germans - it caused no end of confusion when one of her Grandkids married a German :D:D

When I was last in my local Conservative Club, apart from the bar staff, I was the youngest person in there. It was like an old people's home.

Now... off to bed Grandpa, and no putting Ovaltine up your a*se. You are meant to drink it....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The Falklands were not contested on the figurative doorstep of a massive US naval base.

You'd better hope the US won't be neutral or your War of the Spanish Delusion won't be happening as British forces now have zero electronic warfare or air suppression capabilities. So there no possibility of autonomous expeditionary warfare against a peer military like Spain outside of a US led coalition.
    With Trump in charge the US would surely be most likely on the Spanish side... think of all those golf courses and condo resort opportunities.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Punters will be paid at the full odds to half their stake.
    Seems like that would be the appropriate outcome here then.

Next year, it is hard to see how they can't give it to Hilary Mantel - AGAIN.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    "Who put the ball in the racists' net? Half our fucking team did!" is one of my favourite football chants of all time.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Ovaltine my arse....

One hears of all manner of strange practices on PB, but that is a new one for me.
    I agree. Proves my point about these older tories..... ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The UK has more troops than Spain, more tanks than Spain, more aircraft carriers than Spain, better special forces than Spain and more nuclear submarines than Spain, including nuclear weapons which Spain does not have.

A Spanish invasion of Gibraltar would be met with the full force of the British military with victory to be achieved no matter what the cost.

Any US naval base would be untouched but beyond that British forces would take all actions necessary to liberate Gibraltar and would do so with or without US help
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    TGOHF2 said:

I, welfare robot.
  • Options

Twin winners also happened in 1974 and 1992 - don't know why as Scared Hunger was clearly better than the English Patient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booker_Prize

Its curious how some of the Booker winners are so little known that they have only the barest details on wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elected_Member
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday_(novel)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saville_(novel)
    Yes, the general perception is still that 'Sacred Hunger' was the better book. I know someone who went and re-read almost every Booker winner and some of that have *not* aged well...
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Noo said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/14/the-guardian-view-on-scottish-nationalism-a-warning-from-catalonia

My one gripe is that the mandate is already incontrovertible. Holyrood voted for it. There are only two triggers for Scotland to be granted a referendum. Firstly, a vote in Holyrood. This has happened. Secondly if a majority of Scottish MPs at Westminster want one.
    I am not in favour of the latter, though it has been the opinion of esteemed politicians in the past. I object to that one because I object to FPTP in general. It's too easy to get a majority with a minority of votes. Indeed, that is likely to happen.
    So that just leaves a vote in Scotland's parliament. Which has already happened.

The editorial seems to be aimed at both the Scottish and Westminster governments. I think it also fairly points out the correct approach is being taken by the SNP, in heading off irresponsible calls for a unilateral approach.
    But such calls are only irresponsible because we have precedent on the correct way to do this. The Conservative approach to 2014 was totally correct; let's not deviate from a formula that works.

If one side wins a referendum, it should be implemented. Exiting something makes that (relatively) easy to classify. Voting to stay in something is a bit harder. Once in a generation seems excessive as that is something like 30 years. But it should be at least a decade.
  • Options
    Noo said:

I wish the SNP would develop a realistic plan to grow business to provide the necessary tax revenue to replace the 33% overspend by Scotland / £2k per head per year subsidy by rUK. Or be honest about the cuts they would have to make in an independent Scotland. They have had the best part of a decade to do this but have failed.

Would SNP ministers authorising another referendum be liable for misuse of public funds?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The UK has more troops than Spain, more tanks than Spain, more aircraft carriers than Spain, better special forces than Spain and more nuclear submarines than Spain, including nuclear weapons which Spain does not have.

A Spanish invasion of Gibraltar would be met with the full force of the British military with victory to be achieved no matter what the cost.

Any US naval base would be untouched but beyond that British forces would take all actions necessary to liberate Gibraltar whatever the US did or did not say
    Trust HYUFD to have us nuking Spain. Are you fucking Skynet?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

With Trump in charge the US would surely be most likely on the Spanish side... think of all those golf courses and condo resort opportunities.
    Trump would be neutral and he has more hotels and golf courses in the UK than Spain
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Ovaltine my arse....

It must be I suppository practice.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

"Dead heat" = Halve stake (Or 1/x for x dead heat winners) , original odds.

e.g. £10 @ 4-1; halve stake = £5 @ 4-1 = £5 stake returned + £20 winnings.
    So in this example it is effectively 6-4 odds from the original £10 stake..

If you've backed anything odds on and it wins DH then you'll lose out if the bookie follows horse racing dead heat rules compared to a straight winner.
    Appreciate this - thanks. Have shared this with some of my bookish (not bookie) friends who were getting a bit over-excited...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,906
    Mmmmmmm. Malty goodness.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,976
    Labour want to shut down parliament on Saturday? Newsnight.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Ovaltine my arse....

Your coat sir.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Any US naval base would be untouched but beyond that British forces would take all actions necessary to liberate Gibraltar whatever the US did or did not say
    I think the biggest problem would be landing these troops, tanks and special forces in Gibraltar in a theoretical UK/Spanish conflict. Although the UK has superior quantity and arguably quality when it comes to military resources, they would still need to transport them around the Iberian peninsula and then stage a naval invasion, which is tough at the best of times.

Of course, when fighting a non nuclear power, nuclear weapons are meaningless unless the UK intends to become a pariah state; Spain doesn't need to worry about nukes at all as the UK will never risk the immediate sanctions and interventions that would follow a nuclear first strike by an middle nation on a non nucleat country.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    An aptly timed thread given that NPEXMP was trying to put the case for stopping voter ID for the next GE. in a thread yesterday.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Hasn't Jezza got a rally in Liverpool already booked for that day?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,359

Andy_JS said:

Hasn't Jezza got a rally in Liverpool already booked for that day?
    Yep. 6pm iirc.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Any US naval base would be untouched but beyond that British forces would take all actions necessary to liberate Gibraltar and would do so with or without US help
    You really think the US are going to stand by and watch as we nuke Spain?

Hell, can we even fire them without the US being able to flick the off switch whenever they want?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I thought we wanted maximum time for parliament to do its thing (and it doesn't look they'll have to worry about a deal being voted on), what's the rationale?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Ovaltine my arse....

Your coat sir.....
    I thank you! :smile:
  • Options

Noo said:

I wish the SNP would develop a realistic plan to grow business to provide the necessary tax revenue to replace the 33% overspend by Scotland / £2k per head per year subsidy by rUK. Or be honest about the cuts they would have to make in an independent Scotland. They have had the best part of a decade to do this but have failed.

Would SNP ministers authorising another referendum be liable for misuse of public funds?
    I would assume that it would be struck down by the Supreme Court

And the irony there is so obvious
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Barcelona Airport looked horrendous tonight.
    Police firing rubber bullets at close range ..baton charges etc.
    Look.it up on twitter the pictures make the ER stuff look.like a teddy bears picnic.
  • Options
    I think Brendan has a serious crush on Priti. He's devoted an entire column to her smile and her body:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/10/14/in-defence-of-priti-patel/
  • Options
    nichomar said:

GIN1138 said:

It wouldn't matter. Leave would boycott a loser's revote anyway.

Of course.

Vote Leave and Leave.EU will boycott any second refernedum as will millions of leave voters.

Followed by a formal pact between Con and BXP to implement a No Deal Brexit without a refernedum after the next general election.

No A50 this time just straight forward repeal the 1972 European Communites act and we're done.
    Bring it on nobody is going to ever vote for this shit ever again if we ever get to that position. There is no golden pot at the end of the imaginary rainbow. Real issues will become far more important than something that was never going to anything to benefit anybody but the few.
    Another lunatic who thinks this is sll just going to go away because they have a losers revote.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I thought we wanted maximum time for parliament to do its thing (and it doesn't look they'll have to worry about a deal being voted on), what's the rationale?
    Playing politics rather than actually engaging with the realities we are facing?

I guess they are trying to engineer a situation where the Benn Act has to come into force - rather than allowing a deal to happen (should one be agreed)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Dura_Ace said:

HEY!!!!!!!

That was one of if not the funniest thread ever to have developed on PB in years.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,900
    Dura_Ace said:

Oh, someone made pretty much that point all right, if it makes you feel happier.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

It wouldn't matter. Leave would boycott a loser's revote anyway.

How do you know?
    More to the point, even if they did, how could you know for sure ?
    And why would we not take it as a realistic admission on their part that they are not qualified to take part in the ochlocratic process? As a tactic, it's right up there with the suicide squad in Life of Brian.
    Because you then have half of your popilation who quite rightly believe democracy has failed. That is a very dangerous place to be in.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,976
    Latest Canadian forecast:

Lib 137
    Con 135
    BQ 33
    NDP 28
    Grn 4
    PPC 1

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

HEY!!!!!!!

That was one of if not the funniest thread ever to have developed on PB in years.
    I bet it still was not as good as the one Plato and I started about leftover vegetables i the kitchen club. That one ran all day.
  • Options

I think Brendan has a serious crush on Priti. He's devoted an entire column to her smile and her body:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/10/14/in-defence-of-priti-patel/

Well, that would save spoiling two houses, as my old Dad used to say.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think the biggest problem would be landing these troops, tanks and special forces in Gibraltar in a theoretical UK/Spanish conflict. Although the UK has superior quantity and arguably quality when it comes to military resources, they would still need to transport them around the Iberian peninsula and then stage a naval invasion, which is tough at the best of times.

Of course, when fighting a non nuclear power, nuclear weapons are meaningless unless the UK intends to become a pariah state; Spain doesn't need to worry about nukes at all as the UK will never risk the immediate sanctions and interventions that would follow a nuclear first strike by an middle nation on a non nucleat country.
    The Royal Gibraltar Regiment already garrisons Gibraltar, special forces and the SAS would simply be landed and parachuted in to support them and provide arms to the local population to fight guerrilla warfare against the Spanish invaders.

Nuclear weapons are only to be used to defend UK territory but of course Gibraltar is British territory
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

If one side wins a referendum, it should be implemented. Exiting something makes that (relatively) easy to classify. Voting to stay in something is a bit harder. Once in a generation seems excessive as that is something like 30 years. But it should be at least a decade.
    I don't think you can define an arbitrary period of time on this sort of thing.

The SNP manifesto seemed reasonable on this. If it was clear that the Scottish public had changed their mind then it would be perverse to force them to wait. That is far from being the case yet.

On the second, were Scotland to be forced to leave the EU against it's will, and contrary to the claim made in the indyref that a vote for the British Union was they only way to guarantee membership of the EU, then that does seem to represent a fundamental change that would provide a reasonable justification for another vote - were a majority of MSPs to be elected on such a platform.

However, although Leave won the referendum Scotland hasn't yet been dragged out of the EU against her will. It may never happen.
This discussion has been closed.